PDA

View Full Version : Going to Indy for a mini Holiday...

Mark in Oshawa
6th August 2010, 06:26
Well, I am going to ask the guys who live in Hoosier land for some tips. My wife and her mom are going to Indy to see a concert ( I wont say who...I am objecting to my role in this!!!) but Hey, It gives me a day or two to sight see on a this mini holiday we are taking.

I am going to the Speedway and the Museum FOR Sure...but I am wondering what else there is to do in that neck of the woods mid week? I wouldn't mind taking a look at Lucas oil Stadium, but I don't know if they do tours, and whether they are worth taking. I know I have maybe one free afternoon...so It cannot be anything crazy...just something fun, and guy friendly because I am going to make her pay for dragging me to this stupid concert...lol...

Blancvino
6th August 2010, 17:51
Well, I am going to ask the guys who live in Hoosier land for some tips. My wife and her mom are going to Indy to see a concert ( I wont say who...I am objecting to my role in this!!!) but Hey, It gives me a day or two to sight see on a this mini holiday we are taking.

I am going to the Speedway and the Museum FOR Sure...but I am wondering what else there is to do in that neck of the woods mid week? I wouldn't mind taking a look at Lucas oil Stadium, but I don't know if they do tours, and whether they are worth taking. I know I have maybe one free afternoon...so It cannot be anything crazy...just something fun, and guy friendly because I am going to make her pay for dragging me to this stupid concert...lol...

LucASS Oil Stadium (or the Big Ugly as I call it) is just a big box. I live here and never been inside its cavity.

The Rathskeller Biergarten is fun in the summer. Good bands, beer and food.
Museum row in the White River State Park is a good place to go. The Eiteljorg (Native American), Indiana State Museum, and the NCAA Hall of Fame are all worthy of a visit. A walk along the Canal after a meal is good too.. Nicky Blaine's Martini/Cigar bar on the Circle is good. St. Elmo's Steak House is a tradition like no other. If you like Shrimp Cocktail, go for it! Get their Porterhouse steak. Shapiro's Deli has the best Corned Beef west of New York.

00steven
6th August 2010, 18:26
Hope you guys have fun!

chuck34
6th August 2010, 21:30
Shapiro's, definately go to Shapiro's. It's a bit expensive, but d@mn good, and you get your money's worth. For night life type stuff, go up to Broad Ripple. Or if you want to stay more downtown and you like Blues you really should check out the Slippery Noodle.

And Lucas Oil is pretty cool inside, but I don't know if they give tours or not.

DanicaFan
7th August 2010, 19:28
Make sure you eat at the Mug-N-Bun while you are there. It's fairly close to the Speedway. It's on the west side. 5100 block of West 10th St. Great food and they make their own root beer.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2010, 16:58
All noted guys....I have been through Indy a number of times, and made some deliveries there driving truck, but both neighbourhoods I went to driving the rig were not the scenic part of town.....so I am glad to have the local input...

chuck34
8th August 2010, 17:49
Make sure you eat at the Mug-N-Bun while you are there. It's fairly close to the Speedway. It's on the west side. 5100 block of West 10th St. Great food and they make their own root beer.

Oh yeah I forgot about Mug-N-Bun. Yum! Man I wish I was back in Indy. Maybe someday I'll get back there. :)

Turn-In
8th August 2010, 18:22
yats - crawfish etouffee