PDA

View Full Version : Who else would like to see a REAL technical segment be part of IRL TV presentations?

Jag_Warrior
1st August 2010, 22:20
Maybe not until they introduce the new car... but wouldn't it be nice to have a true, blue technical segment as part of the pre-race? And by "true, blue" I mean one that doesn't include that dufus Jack Arute playing with a toy car on an old washboard, falling down on marbles or grating cheese and guffawing like a drunk chimp. I mean something like is seen on F1 broadcasts with Steve Matchett or on the various NASCAR telecasts. ESPN is actually doing a good job with technical explanations during the Cup race right now. ALMS races used to have some decent tech segments, but they've fallen down quite a bit this year, IMO. But the IRL has probably the worst/lamest ones... just because of the rather ignorant person that Versus has doing them.

But would anyone else like to see something like this... once they have something to talk about in 2012 or so?

Hoop-98
1st August 2010, 23:39
Aye Aye captain...

beachgirl
2nd August 2010, 00:56
Yes. It's one of the segments I enjoy most in NASCAR broadcasts. I think it would be a great idea for Indycar, as long as there is an intelligent, informed person doing it (i.e. retired crew chief, team engineer, etc.). I also don't see why it should wait until 2012 - a lot of the dynamics and engineering principles would be the same regardless of the car.

NickFalzone
2nd August 2010, 01:03
Jag, u must not watch religiously, because they've had Beekhuis do a few of these for VS. Lately though, they've had Arute do them in that jokey/condescending way that the hardcore fans dislike. I agree that particularly with the new car, they should do more technical segments.

Marbles
2nd August 2010, 02:10
I'd love to see them. Jan did some decent ones similar to what he's been doing for years. Using a cut-a-way, holding a steering wheel, leaning into the cockpit, etc. Mostly stuff suited to the "uninitiated".

Spending a few hours in the production room -- a bit of CG -- perhaps some professional narrative and topics beyond shift paddles and, yes, marbles, would be most welcome. This stuff is cheap these days folks, don't bother asking me, "Who's going to pay for that?"

But VS production proves they are followers (NASCAR) and not leaders. Perhaps a change is in order.

dataman1
2nd August 2010, 15:45
Use someone from the series.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXZS8yTNR4

Scotty G.
2nd August 2010, 20:34
These series lose a lot of viewers interest when they get too technical.

Stick to showing the race and the drivers. These networks have a hard enough time doing that.

garyshell
3rd August 2010, 02:44

Stick to showing the race and the drivers. These networks have a hard enough time doing that.

So sayeth the self appointed expert.

Gary

Easy Drifter
3rd August 2010, 04:41
Steve Matchett does a good job on Speed on F1, although thanks to the CRTC here in Canada the Speed broadcasts, except for practice, are blacked out so we have to put up with a much shorter broadcast on TSN using the BBC feed. It started on Sun. with Brundle in mid sentence and ended with him in mid word!

nigelred5
3rd August 2010, 13:01
Matchett is my favorite part of the F1 telecasts. i loved knowing the fuel flow rates, starting fuel weights pit lap predictions in addition to the RPM segments with the Red Bull team. I haven't been able to watch as many complete races this season thanks to Fox, but have I missed it or is Red Bull not so open with Matchett's segments and their technical stuff this year. I just don't understand why Fox can't coordinate their broadcasts with speed and provide the exact same coverage including the pre race coverage when as when the races are 100% on Speed. PLEASE get rid of that guy that does the intros for Fox. Sam Posey's intros are awesome. That guy on Fox is just incredibly fake and typically cheezy of Fox.

I guess when Indycar actually has a little technical interest again it may lead to some more interesting in race analysis.

chuck34
3rd August 2010, 13:20
My wife doesn't know anything more technical than push the button on the toaster and the bread gets brown (ok a bit of an exaggeration). But she used to LOVE the RPM segments on the F1 shows. Why aren't they doing that this year?

And yes, I would (and so would she) love to see something like that in the IndyCar broadcast.

anthonyvop
3rd August 2010, 14:24
My wife doesn't know anything more technical than push the button on the toaster and the bread gets brown (ok a bit of an exaggeration). But she used to LOVE the RPM segments on the F1 shows. Why aren't they doing that this year?

And yes, I would (and so would she) love to see something like that in the IndyCar broadcast.

RPM has moved to F-1 Debrief

chuck34
3rd August 2010, 15:02
RPM has moved to F-1 Debrief

Cool, I guess I should start watching that too. Thanks!

bblocker68
3rd August 2010, 22:02
That's the highlight of F-1 Debrief, now that they changed up the format.

Now, can we have F-1 Decade back on SpeedTV? I loved watching races from 10 years back.

DBell
4th August 2010, 02:02
Now, can we have F-1 Decade back on SpeedTV? I loved watching races from 10 years back.

Super idea, but I'd like to go farther back. To the turbo era and the early 90's. The era of Senna, Prost and Mansell. I'd watch that. :)

bblocker68
4th August 2010, 18:13
If you do some browsing on Justin-TV, there were some races getting replayed from the 70's, 80's and 90's. I watched a race at Jerez with Brazilian commentators and Senna was in the lead. Those guys were going crazy.

It's tough to keep up because the stations are there one day and gone the next.

ykiki
4th August 2010, 19:49

My wife is the same way. Several years back, she really appreciated the way Parker Johnstone would explain the technical aspect of racing during the broadcasts.

When I asked her why she liked Parker, her response was "I know nothing about these cars, but I 'get it' because he explains it to me like I have a brain - not like I'm in kindergarten!"

Jag_Warrior
5th August 2010, 14:48
I'd love to see them. Jan did some decent ones similar to what he's been doing for years. Using a cut-a-way, holding a steering wheel, leaning into the cockpit, etc. Mostly stuff suited to the "uninitiated".

Spending a few hours in the production room -- a bit of CG -- perhaps some professional narrative and topics beyond shift paddles and, yes, marbles, would be most welcome. This stuff is cheap these days folks, don't bother asking me, "Who's going to pay for that?"

But VS production proves they are followers (NASCAR) and not leaders. Perhaps a change is in order.

The "___" portion of your post is what I'd like to see. Unlike F1, it wouldn't be necessary to find a cooperative team, since the next generation of cars will all still essentially be the same one to another (under the skin). I mentioned 2012 because I think it would take Versus (AND the IRL) a good year to plan this out and do it right. Put the right people in place (give Jack Arute an R/C car and tell him to go play with it in the highway) and select a range of "things that make you go 'hmm'" topics to try to spice up the show.

I miss seeing more of Jan. I always thought he did a good job with these types of segments. I'm not sure I understand why he's not doing ALL of the current tech segments on Versus, instead of a goofball like Arute. It would be nice to see him as THE guy who'd put such a segment together. And you know, as much as some like to criticize NASCAR as "low tech", both Speed/Fox and ABC/ESPN do some pretty high tech shows to explain the nuts & bolts of NASCAR stockers. Speed will bring in someone like Chad Knaus to talk to Booty Barker and that other fellow and I always catch myself saying, "Well, I didn't know that!" or "I always wondered how and why they did that!"

It's not a singular magic bullet. But in addition to a lifestyle show or segment (maybe something like "CART Friday Night" - anybody remember that?), a show or segment that focuses on the tech side of open wheel formula car racing would be a good move in the right direction, IMO. But if it's going to be dopey, cornball or amateurish, best not to even bother.

champcarray
5th August 2010, 16:11
Count me among the folks who would like to see understandable (but not insulting) explorations of IndyCar technology. I second the motion to involve Jon Beekhuis or Parker Johnstone.

Mark in Oshawa
6th August 2010, 06:23

Scott, so now not only is road racing bad, but educating the viewer is a bad idea too? I think I know why I find my self fighting with you most of the time. You like your racing dumbed down and most of the time, I want to know more.

I can tell you, Arute is your guy, he is about as dumb as a fence post. The ratings should shoot up any time now....

jimispeed
6th August 2010, 06:39
Jon Beekhus has always been the perfect candidate for this. Although I think Tommy Kendall could also do it. Jon is my fave!!

Jag_Warrior
7th August 2010, 18:42
Jon Beekhus has always been the perfect candidate for this. Although I think Tommy Kendall could also do it. Jon is my fave!!

I agree that Jon is probably the perfect candidate for a tech show. I'd put Kendall on whatever lifestyle show that could be put together.

Give Jon a few minutes to talk about a different tech topic every race, and also put an extended version on the website, YouTube, etc. Say, does the IRL even have a YouTube channel? If not, why not? Anyway, make the tech shows somewhat interactive, so that maybe the best fan question gets addressed in each segment. Who makes the shocks, brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, air filters, data acquisition laptops, wheels, machine tools in the shop, etc.? So make sure to give those suppliers a good mention and maybe some of them will sponsor the tech segment. Go for Apple, Dell, HP, etc. by sticking someone out there and let them play data geek for a day with an iPad, Streak or Slate. Go for areas that are really capturing the interest and attention of people these days.

If you spice it up and make it a fun presentation, even people who aren't so much into the tech side of racing might enjoy a few factoids. But they shouldn't dumb it down. Just make it a generally interesting, professional presentation. For those who couldn't care less about tech, well, there could be that lifestyle show with Mr. TK. A little something for everybody, eh? :up:

NickFalzone
7th August 2010, 19:11
I agree that Jon is probably the perfect candidate for a tech show. I'd put Kendall on whatever lifestyle show that could be put together.

Give Jon a few minutes to talk about a different tech topic every race, and also put an extended version on the website, YouTube, etc. Say, does the IRL even have a YouTube channel? If not, why not? Anyway, make the tech shows somewhat interactive, so that maybe the best fan question gets addressed in each segment. Who makes the shocks, brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, air filters, data acquisition laptops, wheels, machine tools in the shop, etc.? So make sure to give those suppliers a good mention and maybe some of them will sponsor the tech segment. Go for Apple, Dell, HP, etc. by sticking someone out there and let them play data geek for a day with an iPad, Streak or Slate. Go for areas that are really capturing the interest and attention of people these days.

If you spice it up and make it a fun presentation, even people who aren't so much into the tech side of racing might enjoy a few factoids. But they shouldn't dumb it down. Just make it a generally interesting, professional presentation. For those who couldn't care less about tech, well, there could be that lifestyle show with Mr. TK. A little something for everybody, eh? :up:

I go to the Youtube channel regularly:

http://www.youtube.com/indycars

I don't always catch the quals or full races, great place to see what happened and post-race interviews.

Jag_Warrior
7th August 2010, 19:20
Cool.