PDA

View Full Version : 'works backed' alfa team

norwichsam1
7th March 2007, 15:15
Well firstly I am really pleased to see this new alfa team running in the btcc, however am i the only one slightly disappointed that there isn't a slightly quicker pedaller onboard? No disrespect to Richard Marsh meant here at all but I just think that this car would be able to really mix it with the 'big 4' teams at the front with someone like Eoin Murray behind the wheel. However I want to wish both Richard and Dave well and hope very much that they will force me to eat my words and prove that given the machinery that they are front runners in their own right. Guess I'm just used to Richard Marsh running round at the back of the field in old and uncompeptitve machinery!

BDunnell
7th March 2007, 15:24
I think Pinkney proved last year, especially at Thruxton, that he is capable of mixing it with the front-runners.

Ed
7th March 2007, 15:33
I know what you mean. Two aflas the same as the ones N Tchnology are running in the WTCC and Pinkey and Marsh are in the cars. It like giving A ferriari to Alex Young or Tarso Marques. I like Pinkey and think he'll spring a few suprises this year but I will eat my hat in Marsh can keep up with the front runners. Im mean it never boads well when a racing driver seeks driving tutition does it. Anyway it will be good see the cars in the BTCC and intresting to see how fast they will be

Brown, Jon Brow
7th March 2007, 15:37
I want Tim Harvey to drive instead of Marsh.

Then I don't have to listen to his commentry on ITV :dozey:

Alfa Fan
7th March 2007, 16:07
Richard Marsh has never had a good car in the BTCC. He does now. I will judge him on how he performs this season - not what we've seen beforehand.

Ed
7th March 2007, 16:18
yea your right in that thinking Alfa Fan but even drivers who have had rubbish cars in the BTCC have still done something special. I mean look at Stockon at Brands running with the main pack in his first running with the Lexus, Shaun Watson -Smith getting his car into places the proton really shouldnt have been, and even Luby in 2001 at Oulton Park when he made a blinding start and was holding third placefor quite a while in his off the pace car. Even if a driver does have a naff car you can still judge thier talent.

kooldude16
7th March 2007, 16:47
I reckon at Thruxton Pinkney could be mighty. If he can set a similar pace to what he did last year a podium would be on the cards.

Griffin
7th March 2007, 17:10
Are they really works backed though? I took from the article they were just current spec machines?? All will be revealed next week I suppose.

Ed
7th March 2007, 17:24
no there not works backed cars but are exactly the same spec as the one N Technology are running in the WTCC

VXRDartford
7th March 2007, 17:51
I know what you mean. Two aflas the same as the ones N Tchnology are running in the WTCC and Pinkey and Marsh are in the cars. It like giving A ferriari to Alex Young or Tarso Marques. I like Pinkey and think he'll spring a few suprises this year but I will eat my hat in Marsh can keep up with the front runners. Im mean it never boads well when a racing driver seeks driving tutition does it. Anyway it will be good see the cars in the BTCC and intresting to see how fast they will be

I think its great that they have got these cars you can't judge Marsh on what he has done previously as that pug was rubbish and as for drivin tuition i seem to remember a certain marcus gondholm (excuse spellin) gettin some last year for the wrc and he is a world champion (not sayin marsh is anyway near that standard but tryin to illustrate a point) i hope you will be proved wrong

PDS
7th March 2007, 18:09
Are they really works backed though? I took from the article they were just current spec machines?? All will be revealed next week I suppose.

I think you will find they are in exactly the same position as WSR with their BMW’s!

Both have brand new built cars, with full works technical back up available to them if they want it!

These will not be the only teams racing this year with this sort of back up, so it’s not unusual!

The Alfa's will arrive totally prepared by N-Technology, ready to race.

Alfa Fan
7th March 2007, 18:21
Who else will be PDS? Or are you not able to say?

Allyc85
7th March 2007, 18:34
this is great news, having such well prepared machinery in the BTCC. I just hope the drivers do it justice

100%hondafan
7th March 2007, 18:50
i would imagine matt jackson has some sort of support from bmw.

VkmSpouge
7th March 2007, 18:54
Certainly good news having two brand new Alfa Romeos in the series. I'm sure Dave Pinkney will do a good job considering he was fairly competitive in his Honda last year. I'm not so sure about Richard Marsh. He has only driven rather poor cars so it is hard to judge his true pace, I guess we'll see how good he is this year.
I would love Pinkney's car to be all pink but I suspect that would be just wishful thinking.

Iain
7th March 2007, 18:57
Richard Marsh has probably had a lot to do with the funding to buy these cars in the first place, so I think he should be entitled to drive it, just as Dave Pinkney is.

LiamM
7th March 2007, 18:58
i would imagine matt jackson has some sort of support from bmw.

Didn't Matt buy his car straight from RBM? not BMW? So any support would be a separate deal?

100%hondafan
7th March 2007, 19:06
yeah he did but i would imagine he has sorted something for spares

PDS
7th March 2007, 20:20
Who else will be PDS? Or are you not able to say?
Rick Kerry is getting technical assistance from Germany!

Motorbase have received and are still getting technical help form SEAT GB.

Arkas Racing are getting assistance from 888.

I would have thought it was in the interest of each manufacturer to assist race teams in some way, as they are promoting their product!

edenrace
7th March 2007, 20:28
I think works assistance means ,we supply the parts and engineers if you wish,you pay the bill.
Good to see the Alfas sadly Halfords and RAC would not accept RED cars so the deal that was offered could not be taken up.

mattie007
7th March 2007, 20:56
Personally I think the new Alfa team and WSR should be allowed to run in the manufacturers championship, afterall they are works prepared cars,
Would add spice to the manufacturers crown as having just 2 in it makes it a bit of a shambles.

Funks
7th March 2007, 21:18
It's all down to whether a manufacturer wants to pay for the team to be entered into the manufacturers championship.

I'd be stunned if Alfa decided to do so with this project.

BMW say they will monitor the progress of WSR this year 'with interest'. If it all goes well I'd have thought it extremely likely that we will see a 'works backed' entry from them in '08 and they'll be entered in the manufacturers championship.

parabolic
7th March 2007, 21:22
Personally I think the new Alfa team and WSR should be allowed to run in the manufacturers championship, afterall they are works prepared cars,
Would add spice to the manufacturers crown as having just 2 in it makes it a bit of a shambles.

just a few points - Alfa and BMW could run as manufacturers if thye were to pay the entry and put some money into the teams... the cars are infact works built - and will NOT be prepared for each meeting by "Works" personel...& there are in fact 3 manufacturers this year - you fogot Honda

parabolic
7th March 2007, 21:23
[quote="Funks"]I'd be stunned if Alfa decided to do so with this project.
QUOTE]

why "stunned"?

Funks
7th March 2007, 21:37
To clarify:

I'd be stunned if any manufacturer put it's weight behind a newly formed team in its debut season.

Next year is a different matter, hence my reference to what could happen with the WSR BMWs.

edenrace
7th March 2007, 22:23
Munich decides the racing programes for its distributors . Therefore although BMW UK would benefit much more from a BTCC team than a WTCC team their hands are tied. I cannot see this changing in the near future.

100%hondafan
7th March 2007, 23:15
would alfa only sell the cars if they stayed in there natrual colours then ?

Pilfp
8th March 2007, 11:30
Is there any update on whether Honda are entering the manufacturers chapionship with Dynamics?

milly
8th March 2007, 11:54
There isn't any works support for the Alfas - none from Alfa GB, and the cars are only prepared to the same spec as the N Technology cars. And those Alfas are hardly brand new.....

There's no works engineers or the like.

This is a private deal.

If it was works backed, James Thompson or some other top gun driver would be in the car, not Pinkney and Marsh...

100%hondafan
8th March 2007, 11:56
Team Dynamics confimed racing in the manufactures a while ago

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56545

I am evil Homer
8th March 2007, 13:10
why "stunned"?

Because Alfa isn't even supporting N Tech in the WTCC, so why would they in the BTCC?

parabolic
8th March 2007, 14:16
There isn't any works support for the Alfas - none from Alfa GB, and the cars are only prepared to the same spec as the N Technology cars. And those Alfas are hardly brand new.....

Everyone is entiteled to an opinion!

SEATFreak
9th March 2007, 17:42
Arkas Racing are getting assistance from 888.

Is 888 supporting Enke too?

tyreman2
9th March 2007, 17:55
Is 888 supporting Enke too?

I guess they will supply them with any parts that they still have or can make for them but other than that I doubt it

kmchow
9th March 2007, 22:15

There's no works engineers or the like.

This is a private deal.

If it was works backed, James Thompson or some other top gun driver would be in the car, not Pinkney and Marsh...
How old is the chassis itself? Does it have some newer aero/engine updates?

Marc W
10th March 2007, 00:18
They are 2007 spec Alfa's the same as in the WTCC;

from btcc.net;

"The cars will arrive in the UK later this week and will be built to the same 2007 specification as the machines that will fly the flag for the official Alfa Romeo factory team in the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC). The cars will be the only factory-sanctioned Alfas racing in the UK this season."

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=419

Jimmy Magnusson
10th March 2007, 00:35
They might be 2007 specs, 2007 builds or whatever, but I cannot imagine that they have even close to the same update rate as say the BMW's or SEAT's. If I was to have someone build me an old Sierra RS500 this year it would hardly be up to standards simply because it is a new build, would it? :)

cos
10th March 2007, 00:48
Best place to see the 156's potential ultimate pace is in the WTCC, and so far it's doing well against the more-developed Leons and E90s (in Thompson's hands at least).

LiamM
10th March 2007, 00:56
Farfus was a title contender in it at the end of last year too!