29th July 2010, 05:45
Race 12 of 17

Race - Honda Indy 200

Location - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Lexington, OH

Date - Sunday, August 8th

Time & TV Schedule - 2:30PM Eastern -Green Flag -3:20PM Eastern -Versus

Course Type - 2.258 Mile Road Course

Distance - 85 Laps / 191.93 Miles

Practice Sessions - Friday, August 6th -4:00-5:00PM Eastern - Saturday, August 7th -9:00AM-10:00AM Eastern - Warm-Up Session, Sunday, August 8th - 9:15-9:45AM Eastern

Qualifications - Saturday, August 7th - 12:35 -1:55PM Eastern

2009 Pole Sitter - Ryan Briscoe -Lap Time - 1:06.6814 / Speed - 121.905mph

2009 Winner - Scott Dixon

DanicaFan
29th July 2010, 05:46
Here is a map of the track layout..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/MidOhioMap.gif

DanicaFan
29th July 2010, 06:11
2009 Race Summary

Total Laps -85 - Green Laps -79 -Caution Laps -6
Race Time -1:46:05
Average Speed -108.541mph
Lead Changes -7 among 4 drivers
Best Lap - #9 Scott Dixon - 118.565mph (68.5600) -lap 62
Most Improved - #26 Marco Andretti -Improved 7 positions -started 13th-finished 6th

Civic
29th July 2010, 07:20
If any of you guys are actually attending I recommend eating at Buck's down the street from the track.

DanicaFan
29th July 2010, 08:35
If any of you guys are actually attending I recommend eating at Buck's down the street from the track.

I go to this race every year.

Easy Drifter
29th July 2010, 13:02
I am going to have to rely on you people for info during the race as TSN have relegated the rest of the season, except for Japan to TSN2 which I do not get.
Way to lose Cdn. fans.

TURN3
29th July 2010, 23:56
Predictions DFAN!!?? Lets hear 'em....

I have Will Power on the pole and Dixon taking the W.

DanicaFan
29th July 2010, 23:58
I think Ryan Briscoe will be on the pole here. I also think Danica will make the Firestone Fast 6 here. She runs good at this track.

I wont be able to update this thread as fast as I have other races since I will be there. I will be to busy.

TURN3
30th July 2010, 01:10
I also think Danica will make the Firestone Fast 6 here. She runs good at this track.

Thanks once again for the comedy. The only time she EVER ran well here or any other road course was when the league secretly tested the steering rack on her car. And you obviously didn't see last years Mid-Ohio race either I take it, or any other road or street course race for the past 3+ seasons for that matter.

I wont be able to update this thread as fast as I have other races since I will be there. I will be to busy.

We'll live.

SUBARUTEAM
30th July 2010, 01:16
Predictions DFAN!!?? Lets hear 'em....

I have Will Power on the pole and Dixon taking the W.

we finally agree on something!!!!

Helio will probably be in the commentators box for this race!!!

SoCalPVguy
30th July 2010, 02:08
I think Ryan Briscoe will be on the pole here. I also think Danica will make the Firestone Fast 6 here. She runs good at this track.

Coming off of last week's sweeeet top 21 qualifying effort and niiiiice top 15 finish, I have every confidence in your prediction.
NOT!!!

DavePI2
30th July 2010, 03:47
hope to see everyone there, my favorite spots are on the inside of the track comming out of the carousel, comming out of the esses and up the hill under the walk bridge, or comming over the crest of the hill in the esses. Very few people congregate in those areas(quite surprising at the carousel) so it is always a great spot to get pictures. Of course walking through the paddock is always fun also. Now if we could only get indycar and alms to do prerace gridwalks like rolex and ama do.

Easy Drifter
30th July 2010, 04:05
The Princess will win.
To be consistent with following through on his Edmonton call Brian Barnhart will give everyone, except the Princess, multiple drive through penalties for blocking. The Princess is exempt from those calls. :D :D

DanicaFan
30th July 2010, 08:48
Turn3, I was at Mid-Ohio last year. Danica didnt finish well because Mike Conway punted her car into the gravel trap which caused her to go 2 laps down. She would of placed much higher than 19th had that not happened since she qualified 12th.

beachgirl
31st July 2010, 19:55
Turn3, I was at Mid-Ohio last year. Danica didnt finish well because Mike Conway punted her car into the gravel trap which caused her to go 2 laps down. She would of placed much higher than 19th had that not happened since she qualified 12th.

Sorry - you have absolutely no way of knowing that at all.

DanicaFan
31st July 2010, 20:13
Sorry - you have absolutely no way of knowing that at all.

I do know this. This happened right in front of me. Other than that incident, she ran well.

beachgirl
31st July 2010, 22:38
I do know this. This happened right in front of me. Other than that incident, she ran well.

I KNOW the incident happened. I meant that you have no way of knowing where Danica might have finished if it hadn't happened. You can WISH she would have finished much higher than she did, but you have no way of knowing if she actually would have.

I also know she was ready to pack it in when she went into the run-off, and had even unbuckled when Michael asked her if the car was ok. And when she said yes, he told her to get back on the track. This was all on the live coverage, including the radio transmissions back and forth at the time. So, if she would have had her way, she would have finished last. And please don't start with any excuses for that - real racers don't know the words "quit on yourself".

00steven
1st August 2010, 03:20
I'm so tired of hearing about Danica. If she does well I'd be the first to admit it but aside from Texas she's sucked all year.

DavePI2
1st August 2010, 04:48
let's see who puts her on china beach this year after they have had enough of her illegal blocking.

Scotty G.
1st August 2010, 15:08
In watching the Nationwide race last night, that sucky-ass #7 car was on the lead lap and near the top 10 most of the night.

Seems like the two young kids DEI have put in the machine (Wise and Arpin) are pretty competitive when DP is out doing commericals and puttin' around in midpack in Indy Cars.

harvick#1
1st August 2010, 16:08
I'm so tired of hearing about Danica. If she does well I'd be the first to admit it but aside from Texas she's sucked all year.

she should've been blackflagged at Texas though, BB had no balls to do it though

DavePI2
1st August 2010, 17:39
amazing he blackflags helio though

TURN3
1st August 2010, 17:46

What place was she running in when she turned down on Conway? Oh yeah! She was doing Grrrreat!

beachgirl
1st August 2010, 18:40
What place was she running in when she turned down on Conway? Oh yeah! She was doing Grrrreat!

And she wouldn't have ended up two laps down if she hadn't immediately given up and unbuckled. When Michael told her to get back on track, the safety crew had to buckle her back in.

DanicaFan
2nd August 2010, 05:25
IndyCar has allowed 27 cars for this year's Mid-Ohio race. They had the rule of 26 but revised it to allow 27. This is good.

Some notes: Mario Romancini is out for this race. During last week's tests at Mid-Ohio, Conquest Racing had Francesco Dracone testing in that #34 car.

Other part-time drivers we will see at the track at this race are..

#27 Adam Carroll - Andretti Autosport
#02 Graham Rahal - Newman-Haas Racing
#24 JR Hildebrand - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#67 Jay Howard - Sarah Fisher Racing

DanicaFan
2nd August 2010, 06:48
Here is a lap around Mid-Ohio with Helio Castroneves..

M1uJ4JGEmLM

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd August 2010, 09:16
IndyCar has allowed 27 cars for this year's Mid-Ohio race. They had the rule of 26 but revised it to allow 27. This is good.

I don't think it is good because if they didn't allow 27 cars, Milka wouldn't have been able to start the race unless she outqualified someone.

DanicaFan
2nd August 2010, 11:56
I don't think it is good because if they didn't allow 27 cars, Milka wouldn't have been able to start the race unless she outqualified someone.

Dont worry, this will play out with Milka like it has in the past. Her practice speeds will be so slow, she wont qualify and start at the back and be taken out early in the race due to her speed again.

GRW1983
2nd August 2010, 12:05
Dont worry, this will play out with Milka like it has in the past. Her practice speeds will be so slow, she wont qualify and start at the back and be taken out early in the race due to her speed again.

That may be the case DanicaFan, but if they'd thought about it they wouldn't need to do this as if they'd kept it at 26 cars allowed to start, she (on speed alone) would definitely be 27th and be a DNQ. Then, there would be no need to remove her from the race for being too slow.

SarahFan
2nd August 2010, 13:45
But what if she had drawn to be in the second qualifying group ( the one with 13 qualifiers instead of 14) then she will be put in the 26th position and a faster car would have been bumped ..

Sounds to me like Indy made a good decision .... There was a 50/50'chance a faster car would be in that 27th position

Anubis
2nd August 2010, 14:04
Will be keeping an eye on Adam Carroll for this one.

harvick#1
2nd August 2010, 15:34
Will be keeping an eye on Adam Carroll for this one.

yep, he sure did out-pace alot of good drivers in his first race at Watkins Glen.

TURN3
2nd August 2010, 15:48
I'm looking forward to the race but these days, Mid-Ohio is not built for 18 Indycars let alone 27. This is one of the more obvious track position tracks so qualifying in the back means tons of off strategy cars, meaning fast cars will eventually be in the midst of them. I don't recall a ton of attrition at Mid-Ohio in the past but I'd be surprised not to see a lot of over agressive moves from frustrated drivers trying to get through this year. Will be interesting for sure.

dataman1
2nd August 2010, 16:07
Now if we could only get indycar and alms to do prerace gridwalks like rolex and ama do.

The ALMS nomally has a grid walk open to all - free right after recon laps which would conclude at 2:20 PM on Saturday. Come on out and see for yourself. FYI, the ALMS paddock is also open and free to all every day.

harvick#1
2nd August 2010, 16:14
ALMS does have a pitwalk before the race, and like Dataman said, the paddock is always open and free

DanicaFan
2nd August 2010, 20:15
Here is a pic of Adam Carroll's car he will be driving at Mid-Ohio..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/adammidohiocar.jpg

Scotty G.
2nd August 2010, 20:35

Nice looking Gary Peterson colors.

Why isn't it being painted with the Irish government money though? That's who is funding this ride. ;)

Scotty G.
2nd August 2010, 20:37
I'm looking forward to the race but these days, Mid-Ohio is not built for 18 Indycars let alone 27.

Its not built for cars of ANY type.

Its a motorcycle track.

Its too bad there are so many obviously inadequate racing venues in this series. If you want to race on road and street circuits, you have to do better then some of these one lane tracks, that aren't suitable for race cars.

booger
2nd August 2010, 22:17
I hope the AFS car is better than the AFS website! It is total crap.

ykiki
2nd August 2010, 22:48

Love the chrome horn!

Anubis
2nd August 2010, 23:29

Its a motorcycle track.

Its too bad there are so many obviously inadequate racing venues in this series. If you want to race on road and street circuits, you have to do better then some of these one lane tracks, that aren't suitable for race cars.

Can't question the suitability, as I'm several thousand miles and one ocean away and so unlikely to ever go there, but I do like it as a track. Has a very Oulton Park sort of look about it to me. Some nice undulations and suchlike.

DavePI2
3rd August 2010, 00:30
thanks for the info on the alms gridwalk, I didn't know they did it. I have been through the paddock many times in the past and will this weekend also, starting about 8 am friday.

david

garyshell
3rd August 2010, 02:42

Its a motorcycle track.

While I will agree it is not best suited to openwheel racing, it is pure unadulterated BS to say it is a motorcycle track. I saw the original Can-AM and Trans-Am series there back in the late sixties and have continued to watch fantastic sports car racing there ever since.

Gary

NaBUru38
3rd August 2010, 14:34
Love the chrome horn!
It's an Andretti Autosport trademark.

DanicaFan
3rd August 2010, 20:24
Here are the pit lane assignments..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/pitsmidohio.jpg

TURN3
3rd August 2010, 21:11
It's an Andretti Autosport trademark.

Since when? The beginning of this year when they stole it from the guy who coined the term? Trademarks typically have a lasting value or at least belong to the person that made it famous/popular.

bblocker68
3rd August 2010, 21:19
They stole it from PT. Nice job AA.

But then again, my team is Chrome Horn Racing, lol.

DanicaFan
4th August 2010, 00:46
Here is the entry list for the race..

Car# & Driver / Car Name / Team

#2 Raphael Matos / HP DeFerran Dragon / DeFerran Dragon Racing
#3 Helio Castroneves / Team Penske / Team Penske
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing
#5 Takuma Sato / Lotus-KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Team GoDaddy.com / Andretti Autosport
#8 EJ Viso / PDVSA-Jet Aviation KVRT / KV Racing Technology
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven / Andretti Autosport
#12 Will Power / Verizon Team Penske / Verizon Team Penske
#14 Vitor Meira / ABC Supply Co. AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#18 Milka Duno / CITGO / Dale Coyne Racing
#19 Alex Lloyd / Boy Scouts of America / Dale Coyne Racing
#22 Justin Wilson / Team Z-Line Designs / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 JR Hildebrand / Roll Coater-DRR / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / Team Venom Energy / Andretti Autosport
#27 Adam Carroll / Team AFS / AFS Andretti Autosport
#32 Mario Moraes / KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#34 Francesco Dracone / Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#36 Bertrand Baguette / Conquest Racing RACB / Conquest Racing
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / Team IZOD / Andretti Autosport
#67 Jay Howard / Dollar General-Sarah Fisher Racing / Sarah Fisher Racing
#77 Alex Tagliani / Bower & Wilkins - Hot Wheels / FAZZT Race Team
#78 Simona De Silvestro / Team Stargate Worlds HVM / HVM Racing
#02 Graham Rahal / National Tire & Battery / Newman Haas Racing
#06 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream- Panasonic / Newman Haas Racing

DavePI2
4th August 2010, 20:51
thanks once again df for the updates especially the entry list, still can't get the d### computer working right to download it of the indycar site.

NickFalzone
5th August 2010, 02:50
Out of curiosity I watched bits and pieces of the 1992 Mid-Ohio race. Have to say, it was funny to see Beekhuis back then doing some of the tech segments. The guy literally hasn't aged, almost 20 yrs lol and you'd swear it was 2 weeks ago except for the slightly higher pitched voice:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpXQ4tRHl9w&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpXQ4tRHl9w&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FormerFF
5th August 2010, 03:44
I'll be out of town and my TiVo unit won't record the odd high band cable channel that Charter has placed Versus on, so I'll be depending on y'all for the real scoop on this race.

DanicaFan
5th August 2010, 05:02
I'll be out of town and my TiVo unit won't record the odd high band cable channel that Charter has placed Versus on, so I'll be depending on y'all for the real scoop on this race.

I'll be at the track but I'll try and update as soon as possible with my laptop.

booger
5th August 2010, 16:11
I see Rahal listed with a sponsor called National Tire and Battery. What happened to his diet drink sponsor?

DanicaFan
6th August 2010, 00:03
I see Rahal listed with a sponsor called National Tire and Battery. What happened to his diet drink sponsor?

He still has QuickTrim as well.

Mark in Oshawa
6th August 2010, 06:20

Its a motorcycle track.

Ya...it wasn't built for cars, they just call it Mid Ohio SPORTSCAR Course to fool people like you ...but clever you, you are not fooled.

Really Scott, why don't you just not comment on road racing at all....

I will say I don't like Mid Ohio as much as some tracks but it isn't horrible either...talented guys can pass there. Unlike oval racing at places like Texas where setups mean everything....in s tight twister like this one, it rewards those with skill. God knows we wouldn't want THAT to be a factor now would we?

coogmaster
6th August 2010, 17:11
Just watched the 1992 Mid-Ohio race.

So many cool things about this video. The quality is great - the onboard camera shots really show how much raw power those cars had - if you listen closely, you can hear Andretti's tires scrubbing through the turns and the skidplate bottoming out.

Also, Little Al's pass on Mario was pretty awesome, as was the crowd's response. Nothing like that today :(

TURN3
6th August 2010, 17:46
Just watched the 1992 Mid-Ohio race.

So many cool things about this video. The quality is great - the onboard camera shots really show how much raw power those cars had - if you listen closely, you can hear Andretti's tires scrubbing through the turns and the skidplate bottoming out.

Also, Little Al's pass on Mario was pretty awesome, as was the crowd's response. Nothing like that today :(

+1 Watched clips of it the other day...so true and so sad when you look at what we have today in comparison.

Dr. Krogshöj
6th August 2010, 21:49
+1 Watched clips of it the other day...so true and so sad when you look at what we have today in comparison.

We had King Hiro and now we have Milka. Even the backmarkers aren't what they used to be. :)

Scotty G.
6th August 2010, 22:08
Ya...it wasn't built for cars, they just call it Mid Ohio SPORTSCAR Course to fool people like you ...but clever you, you are not fooled.

It was built for sports cars 30 or 40 years ago.

Indy Cars have LONG ago outgrown this track. Way too narrow.

Its a motorcycle track now.

BTW, Jay Howard needs to hit the road. He is a joke. I'd say we'll never see him again after Chicago. SFR needs a much better 2nd driver, then that joker.

Who is that guy in 7th spot in the first practice session? He is some Colombian or Australian, right?

Dr. Krogshöj
6th August 2010, 22:12

BTW, Jay Howard needs to hit the road. He is a joke. I'd say we'll never see him again after Chicago. SFR needs a much better 2nd driver, then that joker.

Who is that guy in 7th spot in the first practice session? He is some Colombian or Australian, right?

Actually, JR Hildebrand finished in 7th and he is from California. You might have heard about him last year when he won the Indy Lights championship. In your book, I guess that achievement makes him a joker like his predecessor Jay Howard, who had mechanical problems in this session, by the way.

Scotty G.
6th August 2010, 22:23
Actually, JR Hildebrand finished in 7th and he is from California. You might have heard about him last year when he won the Indy Lights championship. In your book, I guess that achievement makes him a joker like his predecessor Jay Howard, who had mechanical problems in this session, by the way.

I was being sarcastic about JR. I didn't think them American kids knew how to road race. ;) Looks like 3 of them in the top 10 today.

Howard isn't worth a damn. He only won Indy Lights because he was driving (at the time) unbeatable #7 car for SSM.

He was terrible for Roth and he has been terrible for SFR.

Roth canned him and his time with SFR will be ending as soon as the checkards fly at Chicago in a few weeks.

SFR went out and did a lot (all new transporter, brand new chassis, new equipment) for this 2nd car program. They just didn't get a driver yet.

That will change in 2011. ;)

GRW1983
6th August 2010, 23:22
I was being sarcastic about JR. I didn't think them American kids knew how to road race. ;) Looks like 3 of them in the top 10 today.

Howard isn't worth a damn. He only won Indy Lights because he was driving (at the time) unbeatable #7 car for SSM.

He was terrible for Roth and he has been terrible for SFR.

Roth canned him and his time with SFR will be ending as soon as the checkards fly at Chicago in a few weeks.

SFR went out and did a lot (all new transporter, brand new chassis, new equipment) for this 2nd car program. They just didn't get a driver yet.

That will change in 2011. ;)

I think your being a tad unfair. This is Jay Howard's first road course race since Watkins Glen 2008, in a car that is only doing one road course race this season, for a team that has no real road/street course pedigree in SFR. He might have been 2 seconds slower than Milka Duno, but he must have had mechanical problems of some sort. Lets see how he does for the rest of the weekend. At the very least, I'd expect him to outqualify both Dracone & Duno on raw pace alone. Also, he's still a better option than Sarah Fisher on a road/street track as well.

TURN3
6th August 2010, 23:38
Always nice to look at the time sheet and see that a part time, unsponsored driver is on top. No sense in beating our heads against the wall with the obvious but Graham looked pretty good with RLR and NH this year while Adam Carroll has impressed and Hillenbrand was damn impressive today. With Tracy having performed pretty well you have 4 guys we ALL know beyond the shadow of a doubt have more talent than all but a few out there...and this we pay to see. #Frustrated!

Easy Drifter
7th August 2010, 01:25
Please keep times and info coming prople. I can't get the race broadcast here in Canada as I do not get minor channel TSN2 plus I am covering races at Mosport this weekend.

garyshell
7th August 2010, 05:34

Oh since Indy Cars have outgrown this track (BTW I think the case can be made that you may very well be right about this part), it is now relegated to motorcycles? Earth to ScottyG, there are other kinds of race cars than Indy cars. Ever hear of ALMS, Grand Am, SCCA, NASA, HSR etc. ??? :confused:

Gary

jackmart
7th August 2010, 06:18
So I was at the track today. So glad to see Graham ending up P1. He is my favorite driver along with Briscoe and I spoke to them about their beef.

This time with the autograph session they didn't let you take pics. Since how long ahve they been doing that bc in Long Beach they did.

I may get grandstand seats but may not. For those who have been before. If you have to camp out where is the best place for a lawn chair?

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 14:25
22 cars within a sec.....penske with 3 in the top 5.....gannassi p12/p15

*i heard some scuttle but that rahal and jr went out and layed down a flyer on a set of sticker blacks at the end of the session..... can anyone confirm and/or debunk that?

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 14:57
briscoe....not only p1.... but ran some consistant fast laps

will big hit into the tires....

TURN3
7th August 2010, 15:08
KV getting very competitive...any coincidence that this comes on the heels of 2 races with an experienced driver? Same exact thing happened last year. When PT got to the team Mario started climbing the charts and becoming more consistent. Experienced drivers with talent will do wonders for a team huh?

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 15:09
And Milka is in at 106.7!! 23 cars within 2 pct, close...

http://i34.tinypic.com/zy5mt.jpg

rh

TURN3
7th August 2010, 15:10
Also just noticed that Danica is in her usual spot, save for Will getting into the tires anyway. DFan hit his nail on the head once again...she looks poised for another fast six from the back.

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 16:20
Also just noticed that Danica is in her usual spot, save for Will getting into the tires anyway. DFan hit his nail on the head once again...she looks poised for another fast six from the back.

She may be last on the track but first in your thoughts :) Now can Milka actually out qualify someone? Seriously, once Power is up to speed that's about the tightest 24 I can remember...

harvick#1
7th August 2010, 16:30
I'm thinking Simona could get into the fast 6, that was be awesome. but with the 20 all near within a second, its anyones guess on who goes.

but I think there will always sadly be lots of red, white, and black

SoCalPVguy
7th August 2010, 16:43
And Milka is in at 106.7!! 23 cars within 2 pct, close...

http://i34.tinypic.com/zy5mt.jpg

rh

I call your attention to the previous thread:

Dreyer & Reinbold Signs JR Hildebrand - 8th Jul 10, 13:20

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139006

I wrote: So how much will he be beat the Princess by ??? LOL Good luck JR, be safe and hope you do well !!!

DanicaFan wrote: Not going to happen so I dont have to worry about it

I wrote: well we'll just see now won't we, be prepared to be held accountable.

Look DF did you think I was going to forget ???

Look above buddy:

JR 15th fastest, Princess 23rd.

( I wont even get into how much behind Adam Carroll, Meira, Lloyd and Weldon she is)

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 17:44
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ueo18y.jpg

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 18:03
Simona moves to the top 12.... very nice

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 18:05
wow closest field in my memory

http://i36.tinypic.com/9gzprq.jpg

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 18:21
http://i38.tinypic.com/34ilgly.jpg

Bad luck for Simona (clutch)

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 18:25
some fast racers p7-12

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 18:33
some fast racers p7-12

Rahal will start 26th and is .8 off the pole so far...tough

TURN3
7th August 2010, 18:35
Just joining in on the quaifying, more than fast drivers in just p7 - 12! Got a few a little further down too. Surprised Rahal didn't even get into the 2nd round. He looked good up till the and wasn't it last year he made every single fast 6?

Didn't see the incident between Briscoe and Wilson but if I had to blind guess I'd say Briscoe made yet another boneheaded move. Regardless, becoming more and more obvious that he's driving for his job. I'm guessing he'll be driving for Panther next year while Wheldon hits the bricks.

Hoop-98
7th August 2010, 18:44
Really nice field shaping up...

http://i36.tinypic.com/dw3rf6.jpg

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 18:46
Rahal will start 26th and is .8 off the pole so far...tough

I read he and hilderbrand were the only guys to throw on a set of reds yeaterday, went out and layed down a flyer.....but wasnt really that fast throughout the session....

*you always seem to have access to better info.....was the case?

SarahFan
7th August 2010, 18:47
Power lays down a flyer for his 7th pole of the season..... impressive

beachgirl
7th August 2010, 19:04
Just joining in on the quaifying, more than fast drivers in just p7 - 12! Got a few a little further down too. Surprised Rahal didn't even get into the 2nd round. He looked good up till the and wasn't it last year he made every single fast 6?

Didn't see the incident between Briscoe and Wilson but if I had to blind guess I'd say Briscoe made yet another boneheaded move. Regardless, becoming more and more obvious that he's driving for his job. I'm guessing he'll be driving for Panther next year while Wheldon hits the bricks.

Maybe you should have really watched it before making a proforma slam on Briscoe. Wasn't his fault. Simple racing incident. Wilson went inside on a turn in a move that would be expected in a race, but wouldn't necessarily be expected in qualifying. Dennis Reinbold said that, Briscoe said that, the announcers said that. It was fun watching Wilson and Briscoe outside of their cars "discussing" it with each other, but by the time they went back in the truck to the pits, together, it was all over.

I don't know why people get off just dumping all over Briscoe now, for the way he drove 5 years ago. He's grown up, matured, and is a very good racer. He doesn't make any more mistakes than any other racer on that track at any given time. A lot of people think Briscoe's racing for his job. Personally, I think Castroneves is racing for his job. And I don't care how many Indy 500 wins he has.

NickFalzone
7th August 2010, 19:09
Power lays down a flyer for his 7th pole of the season..... impressive

Although I saw glimpses of his talent the last 2-seasons, I really never expected this kind of domination by Will in 2010. Nearly unbeatable on the roads/streets and the likely season Champ. This makes me wonder how many other drivers, in KV or worse equipment, are lurking out there and would be dominating if given TCG or Penske equipment. Particularly guys like RHR and Wilson.

harvick#1
7th August 2010, 19:10
Sato 3rd oh boy :D

DanicaFan
7th August 2010, 19:12
Im here at the track. We got here early yesterday. The weather has been beautiful. I talked to Danica, her crew already of course. I spoke with Helio and told him he was the Edmonton winner. He said thanks

DanicaFan
7th August 2010, 19:25
Unfortunately, Danica didnt make it past her qualifying session. Will Power ends up on the pole.

TURN3
7th August 2010, 19:50
Maybe you should have really watched it before making a proforma slam on Briscoe. Wasn't his fault. Simple racing incident. Wilson went inside on a turn in a move that would be expected in a race, but wouldn't necessarily be expected in qualifying. Dennis Reinbold said that, Briscoe said that, the announcers said that. It was fun watching Wilson and Briscoe outside of their cars "discussing" it with each other, but by the time they went back in the truck to the pits, together, it was all over.

I don't know why people get off just dumping all over Briscoe now, for the way he drove 5 years ago. He's grown up, matured, and is a very good racer. He doesn't make any more mistakes than any other racer on that track at any given time. A lot of people think Briscoe's racing for his job. Personally, I think Castroneves is racing for his job. And I don't care how many Indy 500 wins he has.

I think I made it clear that I DIDN'T watch it and because of that my SPECULATION would have been that Briscoe screwed up. The SPECULATION, that was clearly identfied by me as such, is due to the fact he's a moron. His brain fades are in the range somewhere close to Moraes. He's been thouroughly out driven by his teammates this year and rumors have popped up throughout the year that he could get his walking papers. So before you start popping off at me, please take into consideration that I made very clear what assumptions I made and why.

For as up to speed as you are, surely you haven't missed how many idiotic things Briscoe has done since he's been in Roger's car. This is his 3rd year and simple little things like blowing the championship and Japan, driving into the tires with the lead at Brazil, and smacking the wall 2 laps out of pits in Indy (Roger was PO'd!!). My favorites when he spins under yellow or just flat runs into the car in front of him. Those interviews go something like this..."uhhhh I don't know what I was thinking honestly...." - R. Briscoe. Dumping on Briscoe is extremely valid and I think you really know that. He's fast, but not as fast as Will, and certainly hasn't been as fast as HCN this year either.

TURN3
7th August 2010, 19:53
Although I saw glimpses of his talent the last 2-seasons, I really never expected this kind of domination by Will in 2010. Nearly unbeatable on the roads/streets and the likely season Champ. This makes me wonder how many other drivers, in KV or worse equipment, are lurking out there and would be dominating if given TCG or Penske equipment. Particularly guys like RHR and Wilson.

Will has been building up to this since his Champ Car days with Walker/Team Australia. The year they went to the DP01 he was a serious contender to Bourdais dominance. The merger and team issues have slowed his progression down but obviously for the better...he landed at Penske! Given he was virtually a unanimous choice of series champ on this and other forums at the beginning of the year, not much of a surprise in my opinion.

TURN3
7th August 2010, 19:55
I spoke with Helio and told him he was the Edmonton winner. He said thanks

You realize of course that statement is inaccurate.

Unfortunately, Danica didnt make it past her qualifying session. Will Power ends up on the pole.

Zero surprises in the facts of this statement and there is absolutely nothing unfortunate.

beachgirl
7th August 2010, 19:59
I think I made it clear that I DIDN'T watch it and because of that my SPECULATION would have been that Briscoe screwed up. The SPECULATION, that was clearly identfied by me as such, is due to the fact he's a moron. His brain fades are in the range somewhere close to Moraes. He's been thouroughly out driven by his teammates this year and rumors have popped up throughout the year that he could get his walking papers. So before you start popping off at me, please take into consideration that I made very clear what assumptions I made and why.

For as up to speed as you are, surely you haven't missed how many idiotic things Briscoe has done since he's been in Roger's car. This is his 3rd year and simple little things like blowing the championship and Japan, driving into the tires with the lead at Brazil, and smacking the wall 2 laps out of pits in Indy (Roger was PO'd!!). My favorites when he spins under yellow or just flat runs into the car in front of him. Those interviews go something like this..."uhhhh I don't know what I was thinking honestly...." - R. Briscoe. Dumping on Briscoe is extremely valid and I think you really know that. He's fast, but not as fast as Will, and certainly hasn't been as fast as HCN this year either.

I know you specifically said you hadn't seen it yet, but that didn't stop you from automatically assuming ("blind guess") it had to be Briscoe's fault. In my book, that's a gratuitous slam, but we'll just agree to disagree? :)

Also let's agree to disagree on the status of Briscoe's future with Penske. I still firmly believe that Castroneves's future is more tenuous than Briscoe's.

DanicaFan
7th August 2010, 20:11
Here is your starting grid..

Row 1 Lap Time / Speed

#12 Will Power -1:07.1997 / 120.965
#10 Dario Franchitti - 1:07.2846 / 120.812

Row 2

#5 Takuma Sato - 1:07.4337 / 120.545
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay - 1:07.4411 / 120.532

Row 3

#9 Scott Dixon - 1:07.4711 / 120.478
#3 Helio Castroneves - 1:07.5370 / 120.361

Row 4

#6 Ryan Briscoe - 1:07.4687 / 120.483
#8 EJ Viso - 1:07.4713 / 120.478

Row 5

#26 Marco Andretti - 1:07.5436 / 120.349
#78 Simona De Silvestro -1:07.6190 / 120.215

Row 6

#22 Justin Wilson - 1:07.6230 / 120.208
#06 Hideki Mutoh - 1:07.7941 / 119.984

Row 7

#4 Dan Wheldon - 1:08.2415 / 119.118
#77 Alex Tagliani - 1:07.7789 / 119.931

Row 8

#36 Bertrand Baguette - 1:08.3069 / 119.004
#32 Mario Moraes - 1:07.7821 / 119.925

Row 9

#27 Adam Carroll - 1:08.4825 / 118.699
#24 JR Hildebrand - 1:07.7943 / 119.904

Row 10

#2 Raphael Matos - 1:08.5386 / 118.602
#11 Tony Kanaan - 1:07.9321 / 119.661

Row 11

#19 Alex Lloyd - 1:08.7818 / 118.182
#7 Danica Patrick - 1:07.9780 / 119.580

Row 12

#34 Francesco Dracone - 1:11.3968 / 113.854
#14 Vitor Meira - 1:08.0414 / 119.468

Row 13

#02 Graham Rahal - 1:08.0459 / 119.461
#66 Jay Howard - 1:09.5028 / 116.956

Row 14

#18 Milka Duno - No Time / No Speed

TURN3
7th August 2010, 20:17
I know you specifically said you hadn't seen it yet, but that didn't stop you from automatically assuming ("blind guess") it had to be Briscoe's fault. In my book, that's a gratuitous slam, but we'll just agree to disagree? :)

Also let's agree to disagree on the status of Briscoe's future with Penske. I still firmly believe that Castroneves's future is more tenuous than Briscoe's.

Yes, I was slamming him...not trying to deny that.

Coming into this year, I felt that Helio might be the one (if anybody) driving for their job. With Will having done as well as he has, Penske not having sponsorhip for the other 2, etc., etc. etc., I sense that there will be only 2 Penske's next year. The way the year has gone, I think HCN is safe. He's been fast and has really learned a lot from Will. Who knows though.

garyshell
7th August 2010, 21:00
I think Turn3 was right, even though he didn't see the replay. I was watching and clearly Briscoe moved right after coming off the righthander at the end of the straight. Justin say an opening and went for it then Briscoe didn't check his mirrors and closed the door.

Briscoe's move to the right was not the usual line at all and Justin was correct in taking the advantage.

My $.02 worth.

Gary

NickFalzone
7th August 2010, 21:03
I'd say it was Briscoe's mistake, ymmv:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DapBAI78Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DapBAI78Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TURN3
7th August 2010, 21:54
Not withstanding the fact I "pre-commented" on this...absolutely Briscoe's fault as I suspected. Aside from lacking the awareness of the situation with other drivers on their qualifying laps...that little shinny thing on the side pod generally reflects the images of those along side you.

Lousada
7th August 2010, 22:30
Damn, Wilson is one huge guy. Briscoe was all though when Justin was still sitting in the car, but then he stood up... lol.

Also a nice crowd, more people there on Saturday than most ICS races on raceday!

DanicaFan
7th August 2010, 22:33

We just did that. I had a good bison burger there.

markabilly
7th August 2010, 23:57
Here is your starting grid..

Row 14

#18 Milka Duno - No Time / No Speed

:D ...No speed ..... :D

vintage
8th August 2010, 03:21
A few things - no one put on reds in the first practice session. A fair number of drivers (which did include Rahal and Hildebrand) put on new blacks at the end of the first [ractice session.

This seemed to be another example of the qualifying split having a big effect on the starting grid. Even if you correct for the difference of .3 between the fastest in the first session and the fastest in the second, the second group had more of the faster guys, therefore punishing the drivers that got put in that group. IRL officials should do some kind of evening of the groups after the blind draw for fairness.

garyshell
8th August 2010, 04:53

We just did that. I had a good bison burger there.

The "new" Buck's just isn't the same as the old place which burned. The current one bought the name and built a new place. But it just didn't capture the atmosphere of the original.

Its a nice place, don't get me wrong. But the old one held so much history literally and figuratively.

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 08:12
A few things - no one put on reds in the first practice session. A fair number of drivers (which did include Rahal and Hildebrand) put on new blacks at the end of the first [ractice session.

This seemed to be another example of the qualifying split having a big effect on the starting grid. Even if you correct for the difference of .3 between the fastest in the first session and the fastest in the second, the second group had more of the faster guys, therefore punishing the drivers that got put in that group. IRL officials should do some kind of evening of the groups after the blind draw for fairness.

I think the whole point of drawing qualifying groups is that the grid gets mixed up a bit. If you put faster cars behind slower ones on the grid, theoretically, it results in more passing in the races.

Scotty G.
8th August 2010, 14:52
Sounds like Moron Moraes mowed down at least one of his crewmen today coming into the pits during morning warmup.

Speaking of drivers who need to be put on probation... This guy is a complete menace. And not very talented either.

Been impressed with Baguette, Carroll, Hildebrand and Lloyd this weekend. All have shown very good speed.

The bottom 3 on the charts today (Howard, Dracone and Duno) need to find a lower formula series (I'd choose F2000) to run in. All 3 look dreadfully bad.

TURN3
8th August 2010, 16:42
Just curious, but has "The Face" of Indycar cracked 22nd in a single session all weekend?

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2010, 16:51
I'd say it was Briscoe's mistake, ymmv:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DapBAI78Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1DapBAI78Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Briscoe wasn't paying attention. How do you not see the car BESIDE you...RIGHT BESIDE YOU!!!!

TURN3
8th August 2010, 16:53
Sounds like Moron Moraes mowed down at least one of his crewmen today coming into the pits during morning warmup.

Speaking of drivers who need to be put on probation... This guy is a complete menace. And not very talented either.

Been impressed with Baguette, Carroll, Hildebrand and Lloyd this weekend. All have shown very good speed.

The bottom 3 on the charts today (Howard, Dracone and Duno) need to find a lower formula series (I'd choose F2000) to run in. All 3 look dreadfully bad.

Sounds like he hit 3!! of them!!. To hit 3 crew members duing a pit stop practice is almost impossible. He is an idiot and has no biz operating in this league because he lacks judgement, not because he isn't talented. In his case, he is capable of being fast, just not with any consideration for safety or ability to finish. I do like the term though "Moron Moraes". Fitting. Put Paul Tracy in that CAR!!

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 16:56
kvracing (http://twitter.com/kvracing) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
3 members of 32 crew were injured during pit incident during warm-up.X rays negative. All 3 were checked &released from infield care center about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/kvracing/status/20633692728) via web

curtcavin (http://twitter.com/curtcavin) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
Mario Moraes struck his fueler, Mike Briggs, during the morning warmup. Everybody's fine according to KVRT officials. #indycar (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23indycar)

curtcavin (http://twitter.com/curtcavin) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
The other two KVRT crew members bounced around by Moraes were left front tire changer Chris Bennett (knee) and air jack Anna Chatten (foot)

http://i34.tinypic.com/qohym1.jpg

SarahFan
8th August 2010, 17:08
Just curious, but has "The Face" of Indycar cracked 22nd in a single session all weekend?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37378211/ns/sports/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

Anubis
8th August 2010, 17:12

Baguette seems to have genuine pace this weekend, which is good to see, as he's taken some flak on here for being a "no name". Not saying he's the future of the series or anything, but nice to see him running well and not being the mobile chicane some in the series seem to be. Race wise, I'm cheering for Wilson, Carroll and Sato, if indeed he keeps it on the track long enough.

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 17:13
From versus twitter

Alternate/Red Tire Starters (cont) #24 Hildebrand, #2 Matos, #19 Lloyd, #14 Meira, #02 Rahal, #18 Duno, #12 Power, #10 Franchitti, #5 Sato, RHR #37, #9 Dixon, #3 Castroneves, #6 Briscoe, #8 Viso

TURN3
8th August 2010, 17:16

LOL, perfect! Thanks Ken.

edv
8th August 2010, 18:44

LOL! The only other 'racer' in that list was Junior. Oddly, no hockey players.

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 19:57
Here we go

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:01
Kanaan had a bad start going off, he's now battling Danica for 23rd

de Silvestro had a stormer of a start, she's running 8th

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 20:11
http://i36.tinypic.com/116m103.jpg

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:16
well catching up to and lapping Milka only took 17 laps

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 20:24
http://i36.tinypic.com/2j5ckur.jpg

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:28
First FCY of the day, Wilson and Viso crash out

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:30
RHR now out by the looks of it after he clashed with Helio in the pit lane

TURN3
8th August 2010, 20:37
I get so po'd when my least favorite driver picks up 4 positions in matter of 2 green flag laps...that's the good side of running 23rd I suppose. Anybody that goes out, you pass! God she's hideous.

And...Sato and Viso are freakin' idiots! At least their on par with their other full-time teammate.

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:37
Sato crashes out of a net 3rd place, Tagliani leads

Nikki Katz
8th August 2010, 20:38
Does Sato crash out of every race? I know he had a bit of a reputation for destroying cars in F1, but this is ridiculous.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 20:39
Sato, what a clown. Viso also crashed but it might not have been his mistake for once??

Rooting for Simona, she's doing awesome again.

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 20:44
http://i38.tinypic.com/2q19pol.jpg

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:45
Sato, what a clown. Viso also crashed but it might not have been his mistake for once??

Rooting for Simona, she's doing awesome again.

Aye, 7th and she looks faster than Briscoe ahead too

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:46
Another Yellow, Howard punted off by Hildebrand

TURN3
8th August 2010, 20:46
Did anybody else hear what they're saying about the chassis that Simona has been using since her fire? Wow, and she's been putting the screws to Briscoe the past 2 races at the very least. Good for her, now THAT is a driver to keep eyes on.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 20:47
More Cautions :mad:

TURN3
8th August 2010, 20:47
...and Jack Arute saying Sato is going to win one before the year is out!! He almost kept a straight face while doing it.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 20:50
They said on the radio KV have had 29 race incidents this season...

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 20:55
They said on the radio KV have had 29 race incidents this season...

Roughly works out to just over 7 incidents per driver/car

Lousada
8th August 2010, 20:55
Wilson blames Viso, said he was already 3/4 past before Viso just cut him... :\

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:01
Wilson blames Viso, said he was already 3/4 past before Viso just cut him... :\

Having seen the replay, Wilson seems justified in saying that.

When they went in, It was Wilson's corner and needed Viso to be respectful and allow the overtake to be completed, instead Viso just simply drove into the side of him, very amateurish driving from Viso.

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 21:03
http://i34.tinypic.com/b84oko.jpg

Lousada
8th August 2010, 21:04
Having seen the replay, Wilson seems justified in saying that.

When they went in, It was Wilson's corner and needed Viso to be respectful and allow the overtake to be completed, instead Viso just simply drove into the side of him, very amateurish driving from Viso.

No surprise that Viso is blind. But why does he have to do it to my favourite drivers (Simona last time, now Wilson) :mad:

Lousada
8th August 2010, 21:05
Bertrand Bread is also going very well. Especially compared to his star-teammate!

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:09
Bertrand Bread is also going very well. Especially compared to his star-teammate!

So is Tagliani, a deserved leader on merit and the pitstops will work in his favour too seeing he is out of sequence.

Same goes for Simona too, now up in 6th spot, she's just getting better every race.

And speaking of lady drivers, Danica is in the pits, having another bad day down in 20th (out of 23)

Lousada
8th August 2010, 21:10
Fingers crossed for a caution now, than we have Danica in the lead :D

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:15
Milka Duno at it again, hogging the inside and nearly taking off both Power and Helio :angryfire

Anubis
8th August 2010, 21:19

Certainly not a half baked performance.

TURN3
8th August 2010, 21:19
Fingers crossed for a caution now, than we have Danica in the lead :D

Oh brother...well thank God the stops all cycled through. Talk about a moving chicane if that were to happen. She's an absolute embarassment. The only thing saving her some grace is Milka being even more pathetic.

Hideki or Graham into the tires?

Nikki Katz
8th August 2010, 21:20
Heh, looks like Duno's been ordered to stop again. Well, she made it so far into the race with only causing one problem for the front runners.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 21:20
Good pitstops from HVM! She came out in front of Dixon very good

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 21:21
KV Crashing Technology does it again! Will Moraes finish or will it be a hat trick?

Lousada
8th August 2010, 21:21
Caution again, Dracone off :\

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 21:23
http://i36.tinypic.com/kamipx.jpg

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:24
Heh, looks like Duno's been ordered to stop again. Well, she made it so far into the race with only causing one problem for the front runners.
Yep she's been black flagged from what i've heard, weirdly though she's still going and still being scored on the live timing

Somebody please stop her from going anywhere near an Indy Car ever again, she's an absolute joke.

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:28
Milka Duno spins off, UNDER YELLOWS!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:29
Another yellow, Dracone spinning off again

Nikki Katz
At least she has competition from Dracone today :)

Lousada
Dracone again! Argh!!

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 21:31
I'm appalled at some of the driving standards today. It's appalling.

SarahFan
8th August 2010, 21:32
Oh brother...well thank God the stops all cycled through. Talk about a moving chicane if that were to happen. She's an absolute embarassment. The only thing saving her some grace is Milka being even more pathetic.

Hideki or Graham into the tires?

What's your problem ...... By the end of the day she WILL have this track figured out

ezhop7
8th August 2010, 21:35
Saw the replay of the Wilson -Briscoe incident in qualifying ......its really amazing how small most of these guys really and how much car control they have. Briscoe , Kanaan and Marco and Helio are any of them above 5 ft 7 inches? Great athletes in a small package! Like they say it's not the size of the dog but the amount of fight in the dog!

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:40
Matos is on fire, up to 7th and is the fastest car on the track at the moment, catching Briscoe now very rapidly

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 21:53
You beauty Dario, brilliant win :up:

Itcompletes a triple crown for the weekend for Ganassi after Pruett and Rojas won their Grand-Am race today and Montoya won the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen

FINAL TOP 10

1. Franchitti
2. Power
3. Castroneves
4. Tagliani
5. Dixon
6. Briscoe
7. Matos
8. di Silvestro
9. Andretti
10. Hunter-Reay

Adn for those on Danica watch, she lost 2 spots to Mutoh and Rahal on the last lap, she winds up 21st, the last car on the lead lap

beachgirl
8th August 2010, 21:54
Nice job, Simona!!!

TURN3
8th August 2010, 21:54
Good to see that emotion from Dario crossing the line. Never seen him quite that animated to get a win. He took Power's best challenge and beat him and it seems that put quite a charge into D. Great finish between those 2, they dusted Helio when go time came.

TURN3
8th August 2010, 21:57
What's your problem ...... By the end of the day she WILL have this track figured out

LOL, yep, look out Sonoma!

I can't help it, rooting against her is my entertainment when PT isn't in the race. Would be fun to watch Dario and Will come from the back one of these days too.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 21:57
That was a great win for Dario. It must be a bit uncomfortable if Will Power is breathing down your neck in the final stages when you're leading! Great save from RHR as well after the unfortunate pit incident. He was in fire in the last stint, just like Dixon and Matos. I'm happy Tag and Simona finally converted their pace into valuable finishes.

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 21:59
http://i36.tinypic.com/19lauv.jpg

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 22:00
Successful overtaking moves after the last pit stop cycle: Dixon / Simona, Matos / Baguette, Dixon / Briscoe, Matos / Marco, Matos / Simona, RHR / Wheldon, Lloyd / Wheldon, RHR / Moraes, RHR / Baguette, Meira / Carroll, Hildebrand / Carroll, Mutoh / Carroll, Mutoh / Patrick, Rahal / Patrick. Clearly, Indy Cars have outgrown this track.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 22:04
RHR blames Helio for that pit-incident. To me it rather looked like RHR switched lanes without looking his side. Normally when I observe such behaviour the driver is using his cellphone...

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 22:05
RHR blames Helio for that pit-incident. To me it rather looked like RHR switched lanes without looking his side. Normally when I observe such behaviour the driver is using his cellphone...

That's good publicity for Andretti Autosport sponsor Boost Mobile.

DazzlaF1
8th August 2010, 22:05
Championship top 10

1. Power ........ 461
2. Franchitti ........ 420 (-41)
3. Dixon ........ 379 (-82)
4. Briscoe ........ 352 (-109)
5. Castroneves ........ 340 (-121)
6. Hunter-Reay ........ 336 (-125)
7. Kanaan ........ 304 (-157)
8. Marco Andretti ........ 266 (-195)
9. Wilson ........ 262 (-199)
10. Wheldon ........ 259 (-202)

TURN3
8th August 2010, 22:09
Successful overtaking moves after the last pit stop cycle: Dixon / Simona, Matos / Baguette, Dixon / Briscoe, Matos / Marco, Matos / Simona, RHR / Wheldon, Lloyd / Wheldon, RHR / Moraes, RHR / Baguette, Meira / Carroll, Hildebrand / Carroll, Mutoh / Carroll, Mutoh / Patrick, Rahal / Patrick. Clearly, Indy Cars have outgrown this track.

There is 1 passing zone on the track and you basically have to risk everythng to make the attempt. It is good to see several passes in that zone, I thought it was a pretty good race. But for you to try and make an argument against the entire Indycar community (i.e. fans, teams, drivers, etc.) is ludicrous. Stick to enjoying the race, Indycar out grew this track 15 years ago. They race there for Honda, period.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th August 2010, 22:15
There is 1 passing zone on the track and you basically have to risk everythng to make the attempt. It is good to see several passes in that zone, I thought it was a pretty good race. But for you to try and make an argument against the entire Indycar community (i.e. fans, teams, drivers, etc.) is ludicrous. Stick to enjoying the race, Indycar out grew this track 15 years ago. They race there for Honda, period.

It's beautiful. It's challenging. It has a passing zone. It has more fans than most tracks. In what sense did IndyCar outgrow this track?

Anubis
8th August 2010, 22:17
Adn for those on Danica watch, she lost 2 spots to Mutoh and Rahal on the last lap, she winds up 21st, the last car on the lead lap

I'm sure DF will be along with the usual shopping list of excuses before too long. I'm almost looking forward to it actually, as I'm intrigued how on Earth even he can put a positive spin on that result. She wasn't shuffled back by the cautions, as she was never that far forward to start with, and Milka aside, I can't recall her tripping over anyone.

SarahFan
8th August 2010, 22:18
Simona = great interview!

TURN3
8th August 2010, 22:25
It's beautiful. It's challenging. It has a passing zone. It has more fans than most tracks. In what sense did IndyCar outgrow this track?

It absolutely is beautiful and challenging. Truly one of America's most classic facilities. It is too narrow for Indycar's to put on a proper show. I wish they'd put a little money into restructuring it to account for today's faster cars. You're the only person I've ever seen try to deny the fact it no longer is ideal for Indycar races though. In what sense do you being in the minority outweigh the majority in that opinion?

Lousada
8th August 2010, 22:26

She always appears so happy and always downplays her own involvement. She doesn't need anymore media training that's for sure.
Although it's pretty obvious that the large part of the teams performance is due to her, and not that much due to brilliant engineers and certainly not due to copying setups from her teammates.

TURN3
8th August 2010, 22:28
I'm sure DF will be along with the usual shopping list of excuses before too long. I'm almost looking forward to it actually, as I'm intrigued how on Earth even he can put a positive spin on that result. She wasn't shuffled back by the cautions, as she was never that far forward to start with, and Milka aside, I can't recall her tripping over anyone.

She SUCKS!

She is a TRUE PROFESSIONAL! I certainly hope that she doesn't become a casulty of sponsorship in the offseason. Certainly the real deal in every sense of being a professional race car driver. Congrats to her and HVM on today's finish in an old chassis 200 lbs overweight!

Lousada
8th August 2010, 22:30

If Indycars could weave like they do in other racing series there would be no passing at all. It's only because the lead car has to stay on the outside that you can pass.

Lousada
8th August 2010, 22:35
She is a TRUE PROFESSIONAL! I certainly hope that she doesn't become a casulty of sponsorship in the offseason. Certainly the real deal in every sense of being a professional race car driver. Congrats to her and HVM on today's finish in an old chassis 200 lbs overweight!

Seeing how much patience Penske had with Briscoe, he should do the same thing with Simona. Give her one more year experience and then a topride in 2012 when the new car comes, she'll be a contender for the championship for sure! And PR-wise she'll do a lot better than some of the current topdrivers in my opinion!

Easy Drifter
8th August 2010, 22:48
Unless your car is damaged you only lose two places on the last lap if you don't give a damn. :eek:

SoCalPVguy
8th August 2010, 22:48
I call your attention to the previous thread:

Dreyer & Reinbold Signs JR Hildebrand - 8th Jul 10, 13:20

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139006

I wrote: So how much will he be beat the Princess by ??? LOL Good luck JR, be safe and hope you do well !!!

DanicaFan wrote: Not going to happen so I dont have to worry about it

I wrote: well we'll just see now won't we, be prepared to be held accountable.

Look DF did you think I was going to forget ???

FINAL: J.R. HILDEBRAND FINISHES 16TH
PRINCESS FINISHES 21ST.

Memo to DF: STFU and GL

harvick#1
8th August 2010, 23:16

its a top 25 finish :p :

great job Simona :D :up: you knew that once she can finish these races, she will become a regular in the top 10, hoping for more and better things to come of her

Hoop-98
8th August 2010, 23:45
Milka is in the 105s!!!
fast Laps

http://i37.tinypic.com/2zhffch.jpg

Scotty G.
8th August 2010, 23:49
It absolutely is beautiful and challenging. Truly one of America's most classic facilities. It is too narrow for Indycar's to put on a proper show. I wish they'd put a little money into restructuring it to account for today's faster cars. You're the only person I've ever seen try to deny the fact it no longer is ideal for Indycar races though. In what sense do you being in the minority outweigh the majority in that opinion?

Exactly.

I can put up with a GOOD road racing facility, where cars can actually PASS one another. And there are several out there (Road America, a few of the newer facilities) that would put on a good show for Indy Cars.

Mid Ohio is way too narrow for Indy Cars. And has been for years.

Barber is way too narrow for Indy Cars.

Snore-noma has earned its rep for boring races.

Even the drivers all say it. And they all love road racing. They all got out of their cars today and commented how you can't pass on a track like Mid Ohio. Or it takes the guy or gal in front of you making a complete boner, to get by.

They ran 120 some laps today in Lights and Indy Car and there was ZERO on track passing for the lead. And no close calls to make a move either.

This sport is first and foremost, about ENTERTAINMENT. And that my friends, was not entertaining today. Might have been nice in person, but on TV? Very boring.

00steven
9th August 2010, 00:07
Great job Dario!

But something needs to be done about Milka Duno. She's an abomination to Auto Racing. She nearly took out the two leading contenders.

NickFalzone
9th August 2010, 00:25
Happy for Dario, both bec he's my fave driver and bec the championship battle is now a bit closer. But I really and truly hate this track. Talk about a snoozer, year after year. I know it's in a good locale, and the attendance always seems pretty strong, but the racing is just awful. Either fix it or go somewhere else.

TURN3
9th August 2010, 00:42
Happy for Dario, both bec he's my fave driver and bec the championship battle is now a bit closer. But I really and truly hate this track. Talk about a snoozer, year after year. I know it's in a good locale, and the attendance always seems pretty strong, but the racing is just awful. Either fix it or go somewhere else.

Attendance is strong mainly because it is a Honda company picinic. They are one of the primary employers in the area, if not the primary. 4 of the guys I graduated college with were hired on as engineers at the Mansfield facility. They used to tell me the entire factory talked about the race all year long...for that is a good thing at least!

Scotty G.
9th August 2010, 00:50
But something needs to be done about Milka Duno. She's an abomination to Auto Racing. She nearly took out the two leading contenders.

That was about the only exciting part of the race.

Milka always adds spice, when she is in the way. :)

garyshell
9th August 2010, 02:19
Milka Duno at it again, hogging the inside and nearly taking off both Power and Helio :angryfire

I am not defending Milka, but actually at that point on the track I think she took the correct line. Had she taken the outside line she would have been blocking anyone trying to go to the pits and the next corner is a left hander.

Gary

garyshell
9th August 2010, 02:31

It is all of the above. It is my "home" track, been going there since 1967. But turn3 is right. There is one and only one place to make a pass. That's why most of the folks sit down in the esses.

The track is a bit too narrow for open wheel cars, I think that is what folks mean by "outgrowing the track". But it does put on a good show. I'd hate to see it off the schedule. But I don't think we have to worry about that for at least another year.

Gary

garyshell
9th August 2010, 02:36
If Indycars could weave like they do in other racing series there would be no passing at all. It's only because the lead car has to stay on the outside that you can pass.

Have you EVER been there? I am guessing that would be a no. You have no clue what you are talking about. There have been some spectacular passes in the same spot around the outside of that righthander. The next section of track lends itself quite well to such a maneuver, with a perfect line into the next lefthander.

Gary

garyshell
9th August 2010, 02:37
Unless your car is damaged you only lose two places on the last lap if you don't give a damn. :eek:

Huh?

Gary

beachgirl
9th August 2010, 02:59
Huh?

Gary

He was referring to Danica. She lost 2 places on the last lap.

DanicaFan
9th August 2010, 04:33
Im back home now. I had a great weekend as always. Unfortunately Danica didnt have a great race but there is always next time. She was having some shifting problems between 2nd and 3rd gear she said and there was some vibration in the right rear. Her car was also a little loose.

SarahFan
9th August 2010, 05:03
Im back home now. I had a great weekend as always. Unfortunately Danica didnt have a great race but there is always next time. She was having some shifting problems between 2nd and 3rd gear she said and there was some vibration in the right rear. Her car was also a little loose.

that............... and she just isnt very good

DanicaFan
9th August 2010, 05:07
Here I am with the best looking car on the grid..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/mid-ohio2010008.jpg

TURN3
9th August 2010, 05:07
that............... and she just isnt very good

Hahaha...good one! I like that. God she sucks! Bascially last of the cars running AGAIN today. Once is circumstantial, twice is habit, three times is unprofessioanl....I lost track with her.

TURN3
9th August 2010, 05:10

It only seems good looking because it goes by much slower, so you get a better look. Maybe that is Danica's strategy, support her sponsors by going slow enough with no other cars around that consumers get a good look.

DanicaFan
9th August 2010, 05:14
Here is me and Danica again.. :)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/mid-ohio2010013.jpg

Jag_Warrior
9th August 2010, 05:39
...and Jack Arute saying Sato is going to win one before the year is out!! He almost kept a straight face while doing it.

Yeah, ol' A-root said, "Everybody says you're going to win one before the end of the season."

What I'd like to know is, WTF are these everybodies that A-root has been talking to? Are these people trying to get him out of their way so they can get to the men's room or are these the voices in his head talking again??? The IRL needs to fire Barnhart and Versus needs to fire Arute. And I'll keep saying it until they finally do it!

I freely admit that Versus is a step up from lowly ABC/ESPN. But would it kill them to do replays of passes that are missed live??? I just saw positions change on the scroll. I wondered how one person had gotten around another. But I guess it wasn't important since they didn't feel the need to talk about it. So I came here hoping that some of you would tell me what happened during the race. I've actually learned as much by reading this thread as I did by watching.

Now for the thank you's and congrats: I want to thank Ruffy Matos for not plowing into Simona as he (somehow - thanks Versus) got around her. I want to congratulate Takuma Sato on (AGAIN!) winning the Dan Clarke/Shiggy Hattori Clowns Without Borders award this race, just as I predicted he would. And I want to thank Rahal and Mutoh for getting around Princess Lapped-A-Lot by the checkered flag. Another solid Top 25 for Danica. WooHoo! Say, if Ferrari drops Massa next season, I'm sure with her performances this year, she'll be the first one they call. She's getting so pathetic now that I'm beginning to feel bad about making fun of her. BEGINNING, I said - I'm not there yet!

Scotty G.
9th August 2010, 07:20
Here is me and Danica again.. :)

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/mid-ohio2010013.jpg

Is she standing on a bucket? Or are you 5 foot 3? :D

Scotty G.
9th August 2010, 07:28
1. Yeah, ol' A-root said, "Everybody says you're going to win one before the end of the season." What I'd like to know is, WTF are these everybodies that A-root has been talking to?

2. But would it kill them to do replays of passes that are missed live???

1. I was surprised Ta-Ku didn't bust out laughing. He should have said, "Come on Jackie, ain't no way in hell I'm winning a race this year or any other year."

The Root must have been talking to IMS radio shill Mike King. He has been saying since Brazil, that Sato was some major talent and would eventually win a race in 2010. Any race (at least for the first 20 laps or so) where Sato is in the top 10, is the beginning of Sato's rise to Indy Car stardom. And then when he eventually brings out the yellow and ends his day in 25th place, its "wait until next week".

The question I have, is why Japan can't come up with one good Indy Car driver? I mean, its obvious Honda is going to force one on the sport every stinkin' year. And everybody they bring over here, sucks. Sato is just the latest to inhale vigorously.

2. There are just too damn many on-track passes for either ESPN or Versus to keep up with. And when you are trying to keep up with cars going all of 118 MPH, its hell on the TV people. :D

I am evil Homer
9th August 2010, 10:39
No idea why they can't produce a good IRL driver...maybe they're all still lower formulae hoping to get into F1? After all Kobayashi has been a revelation in his short F1 career and achieved far more than Sato who had top line equipment for a few seasons.

Sato isn't bad per se but he's following an all too familiar pattern of raw pace being in evidence followed by immense brain fade. Which is an F1 hangover because is lower formulas he was known for being a decent driver who could overtake.

vintage
9th August 2010, 12:38
Congrats to her and HVM on today's finish in an old chassis 200 lbs overweight!

Give me a break on the "200" lbs overweight bs. There is no way there is 200 lbs of extra carbon fibre on that chassis. This Simona's "heavy chassis" thing is becoming an urban legend. I have not yet seen a quote from the team saying the car is significantly heavier than others.

And I'm staying away from the obvious pun here regarding Simona's heavy chassis.

markabilly
9th August 2010, 13:27
Does Sato crash out of every race? I know he had a bit of a reputation for destroying cars in F1, but this is ridiculous.
In F1, he did not always destroy his car....sometimes he only destroyed others.

At times he tended to be very fast in F1, but those stupid corners often got in his way

TURN3
9th August 2010, 14:14
Give me a break on the "200" lbs overweight bs. There is no way there is 200 lbs of extra carbon fibre on that chassis. This Simona's "heavy chassis" thing is becoming an urban legend. I have not yet seen a quote from the team saying the car is significantly heavier than others.

And I'm staying away from the obvious pun here regarding Simona's heavy chassis.

I'm just repeating what was on the telecast. They said they got the info from the team. I know that Sarah Fisher was using a tub about 200 lbs overweight, I think it is still her 2nd car. I don't know he exact technical process by which they repair these so I can't say anything more than what is reported. In all probability, neither can you. I do know that Simona is driving a tub that EJ Viso probably crashed 15 times in the past 2 years so it certainly has been repaired a time or two.

beachbum
9th August 2010, 14:16

And I'm staying away from the obvious pun here regarding Simona's heavy chassis.The team and others have indicated it is an older chassis with an update kit for side intrusion. The update kit was reported to add 20-30 lbs to the tub (not 200) and affected weight distribution. All of the technical wags state that should be worth about .2 to .3 seconds a lap at a road course, and less at an oval. When almost the whole field is within a second, a tenth or 2 is a big deal. Carbon fiber does fatigue with use as well, so an older chassis may not react like a new one.

SarahFan
9th August 2010, 14:20
I'm just repeating what was on the telecast. They said they got the info from the team. I know that Sarah Fisher was using a tub about 200 lbs overweight, I think it is still her 2nd car. I don't know he exact technical process by which they repair these so I can't say anything more than what is reported. In all probability, neither can you. I do know that Simona is driving a tub that EJ Viso probably crashed 15 times in the past 2 years so it certainly has been repaired a time or two.

wasn;t the team owner himself who said so yesterday

DazzlaF1
9th August 2010, 14:50

Hadaway, that car is pig ugly...

...and thats before they painted it in that horrid Green

SarahFan
9th August 2010, 14:55
grown men should not wear 'danicagear'

DanicaFan
9th August 2010, 15:02
I like going to Mid-Ohio. It is a good looking track but most of the teams dont like this track. They will tell you, it's hard to pass, the garges are small, not much room to move around. The paddock area needs improving.

Jag_Warrior
9th August 2010, 16:07
1. I was surprised Ta-Ku didn't bust out laughing. He should have said, "Come on Jackie, ain't no way in hell I'm winning a race this year or any other year."

The Root must have been talking to IMS radio shill Mike King. He has been saying since Brazil, that Sato was some major talent and would eventually win a race in 2010. Any race (at least for the first 20 laps or so) where Sato is in the top 10, is the beginning of Sato's rise to Indy Car stardom. And then when he eventually brings out the yellow and ends his day in 25th place, its "wait until next week".

The question I have, is why Japan can't come up with one good Indy Car driver? I mean, its obvious Honda is going to force one on the sport every stinkin' year. And everybody they bring over here, sucks. Sato is just the latest to inhale vigorously.

2. There are just too damn many on-track passes for either ESPN or Versus to keep up with. And when you are trying to keep up with cars going all of 118 MPH, its hell on the TV people. :D

#1: The ones we tend to get seem to be the ones that F1 doesn't want (for good reason). I don't know that we've ever seen one over here who didn't have a check in his pocket to pay for his ride.

As for #2, :rotflmao:

dataman1
9th August 2010, 16:17
I like going to Mid-Ohio. It is a good looking track but most of the teams dont like this track. They will tell you, it's hard to pass, the garges are small, not much room to move around. The paddock area needs improving.

D Fan, Hey man, I saw you hanging at the back of Danica's pit box on Saturday. I work as an IMSA official so it was race time for us and had no time to talk.

I agree that it is time for Mid-Ohio to invest in their track. The paddock, garages, restrooms, food vendors, is unchanged from the 80's. Even the track safety structures are the same. The pit lane needs extending and smoothing of the bumps.

DanicaFan
9th August 2010, 17:20
D Fan, Hey man, I saw you hanging at the back of Danica's pit box on Saturday. I work as an IMSA official so it was race time for us and had no time to talk.

I agree that it is time for Mid-Ohio to invest in their track. The paddock, garages, restrooms, food vendors, is unchanged from the 80's. Even the track safety structures are the same. The pit lane needs extending and smoothing of the bumps.

Nice. It would of been nice to say hello. Yeah, I enjoy the track. We always have a great time there. The weather was great this weekend. Well, hey maybe next race we can meet and say hi.

Anubis
9th August 2010, 20:20
In F1, he did not always destroy his car....sometimes he only destroyed others.

At times he tended to be very fast in F1, but those stupid corners often got in his way

He's very much a "fast between crashes" sort of driver.

On a side note, whatever happened to Tora Takagi?

Dr. Krogshöj
9th August 2010, 20:29
Grown men shouldn't be obsessed with other grown men's pursuits... ;)

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2010, 20:53
Well first off to you D-F...for following your driver so loyally and being a good sport about it. She didn't give you a lot to cheer about but hey, we all razz you enough about that and I wont push that button today.

It was an interesting race if you are a hard core fan, but it was a little light on action. That said, every race isn't going to be spellbinding, and I don't care where you hold them.

It had a little of everything I suppose.

Danica had an off day, but people had to keep checking on her. Milka was the road block she has always been, but to her credit, is consistent in her lines...she isn't erratic.

Simona was the star for me, because it is clear her ability is translating now into better finishes for a team with a 2nd or 3rd rate car. She is really getting a bit of luck too to add to the flashes she has shown.

Dario had a great day and so did Will. Don't look now, but Dario will likely snatch back the lead in points by the end of the year. Will racked up some huge points in the road/street races but he is going to have to either win or be close to the front on the ovals and hope Dario doesn't start winning all those or he will lose the championship.

OH yes...and I stand by Jag and many others. Can Jack Arute be spayed, neutered and sent back to his short track in Connecuit? PLEASE????

OH one more thing. If Sato ever gets a brain to go with the speed, he might translate into something. It is maddening to see someone qualify THAT well, run well early..and then come out on cold tires and plant the thing in the rhubarb.

I don't get it .....the Japanese have some tremendous drivers in their domestic series, and Koby is a decent f1 driver now...but they really put some guys who are just brain dead the second the green flag flashes...

DavePI2
9th August 2010, 22:47
well this is my first time on here since returning from the race yesterday, I know turn 3 is where most of the passing is done but there is passing if you are watching someone else from the leaders. The battle between the #34 and #18 was even fun to watch. Sorry DF one of my favorite moments of the race was when Danica was passed twice on the last lap. I figured mutah would get here, he had been setting her up for a couple of laps but seeing rahal pass also was sweet. Good race , great weekend. The alms had a very exciting finish, if you missed it you missed some good racing. Also found some new spots to shoot film at I am surprised no one goes too. Just before you go under the bridge to turn one on the inside of the track at top of hill , just one example.

NaBUru38
9th August 2010, 23:50
It is too narrow for Indycar's to put on a proper show. I wish they'd put a little money into restructuring it to account for today's faster cars.
I agree that most American premanent road courses are too narrow and lack decent overtaking spots, including Mid-Ohio. However, current cars are much slower: this year's pole lap was 3 mph slower than ten years ago.

This is a beautiful course to drive, with difficult height changes at corners. But racing isn't the best. I'd like this race to be replaced by Cleveland (and another permanent road course), but I'm not complaing about yesterday's racing.

DanicaFan
10th August 2010, 01:02
Oh, and here is me with Helio!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/mid-ohio2010010.jpg

DanicaFan
10th August 2010, 01:06
And a picture of me and Ryan Briscoe. These guys are real nice and fan friendly.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/mid-ohio2010016.jpg

jackmart
10th August 2010, 01:29
ahh, I'm jealous of your pic with Ryan. What day was that?

It was an awesome weekend. I had special hospitality passes through Andretti because of a family friend who works for a company that sponsers TK. However, when we met TK both times he wasn't nice. I was not thrilled that they don't let you take pics during the autograph session. I spoke with both Graham and Ryan about their fight via twitter becasue they both are my faves. Graham sounded like he was over it but Ryan was still kind cold, but he didn't use that wording. Ryan said they kissed and made up as he was laughing. I caught Ryan twice in the pits for signing my hat and for a pic. Both at bad times but he was nice. Helio came to mass and sat right in the front. Im not an Helio fan because the past times I have met him he has been rude. But he had a conversation with a fan after mass and threw his hats out to fans on the podium which was nice.

I'm hoping to go to the Chicago race or maybe even Kentucky.

DanicaFan
10th August 2010, 01:31
The picture of me and Ryan was taken on race day. It was about 1:30pm, just before he was getting ready for pre-race activities so he was extra generous to take the time to talk a bit and let me snap a picture.

Easy Drifter
10th August 2010, 02:28
Anybody know just how wide Mid Ohio actually is. I have been there several times but not for years.
Mosport for example used to be 28 feet wide except for the pit straight. It was widened to either 38 or 40 feet. I am not sure which.
ALMS cars do about 148 mph average now.

Hoop-98
10th August 2010, 02:35
Anybody know just how wide Mid Ohio actually is. I have been there several times but not for years.
Mosport for example used to be 28 feet wide except for the pit straight. It was widened to either 38 or 40 feet. I am not sure which.
ALMS cars do about 148 mph average now.

40 feet.

i think paving the gravel traps would be a huge improvement and dramatically reduce full course yellows.

garyshell
10th August 2010, 04:19
40 feet.

i think paving the gravel traps would be a huge improvement and dramatically reduce full course yellows.

They can't pave the one at the end of the back straight, my wife and my best friend are under strictest orders that my ashes are to be dumped there when I slough off this mortal coil. :s mokin:

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2010, 05:12
40 feet.

The problem I have with that is there is no penalty for driving off track. Sorry, I think people who are fast and don't use up more than the race track should be rewarded, and people who miss braking points and apex's should be paying a penalty.

You look at all the pavement now at the Glen and the NASCAR boys are racing on the wrong side of the rumble strips all the time...and in my mind, defeats the purpose of road racing. Hell, anyone can turn a good lap if he uses more race track than was originally there.

Widen a track perhaps...but paving run off? I am not a fan...really not.

DanicaFan
10th August 2010, 05:16
They can't pave the one at the end of the back straight, my wife and my best friend are under strictest orders that my ashes are to be dumped there when I slough off this mortal coil. :s mokin:

Gary

Now that is funny and it rings true to me as well. Except, my ashes are willed to be spread out all over the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2010, 05:18
Now that is funny and it rings true to me as well. Except, my ashes are willed to be spread out all over the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. ;)

Mine? I want my ashes where I keep my money....lol..the indian casino an hour up the road!!!! lmao

Seriously, no...I think I will ask for them to be placed at Mosport...just put the urn in the passenger window with it open to the wind and let em fly!!

garyshell
10th August 2010, 05:30
Widen a track perhaps...but paving run off? I am not a fan...really not.

I remember when F1 started doing this saying the friction of the pavement did a better job of slowing down the cars. And as long as the car has brakes, I think they might very well be right. The Speed TV guys talked about it at length one night on an F1 debrief and it seemed to make sense.

But then there is that matter of my ashes...

Gary

Easy Drifter
10th August 2010, 05:55
My ashes for the Chute at Mosport.

Now you people who have been there figure out which turn it is.
It officially is not named that but all the drivers call it that.
I loved it.
It scares a lot of people.

Anubis
10th August 2010, 12:52
I'm in two minds regarding gravel versus tarmac. On the one hand, doing away with gravel would reduce full course yellows, but on the other, I wouldn't like to get to the end of a fast straight with no brakes. I'm not a fan of places with vast run-off, if only from a aesthetic point of view - just look at the butchering of Fuji.

Maybe there's a technical solution? By all means have the tarmac, but maybe have some sort of sensor where all four wheels outside the track triggers a penalty, maybe on a "three strikes" basis to avoid penalising drivers who have to go off track to avoid incidents? That way, you reduce the yellow flags and keep cars on track, but people don't gain from always running wide. Only drawback with that is I can see huge amounts of protests and counter protests and endless intervention by stewards, so the rules would have to be very well designed.

markabilly
10th August 2010, 13:20
He's very much a "fast between crashes" sort of driver.

On a side note, whatever happened to Tora Takagi?
Sometimes other drivers got in his way as well.....once at Spa, Schuie had the nerve to actually brake in front of Sato for a hairpin at Spa....and......

http://www.starvin4sport.0nyx.com/images/Schumi-Anger-Sato-2.jpg

Schuie apologizes to Sato before closing his visor...

that is Sato's visor, with a slap

markabilly
10th August 2010, 13:26
http://cfm.globalf1.net/content/006/001.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.starvin4sport.0nyx.com/images/Schumi-Anger-Sato-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.starvin4sport.0nyx.com/All-About-The-F1/The-Belgian-Grand-Prix.html&usg=__RgxuPffufPR2ucynN9UUdftGvAE=&h=350&w=500&sz=42&hl=en&start=2&itbs=1&tbnid=ryukrBtW7xv-yM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschumacher%2Band%2Bsato%26hl%3Den%26s a%3DX%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

Marbles
10th August 2010, 17:16
The problem I have with that is there is no penalty for driving off track.

Excellent point and this is currently one of my biggest peeves. The example Moss once used of the difference between a modern day race driver and a driver from past years was that of a tightrope walker. In the old days the tightrope was 30 feet off the ground and in the modern day it's 3 feet off the ground (loosely paraphrasing). The point being that it takes the same skill set but the risk factor makes it an entirely different endeavor. Well, with the massive asphalted run offs of today I think the tightrope has changed altogether to a generously wide beam... with handrails!

These runoffs can also allow a driver to gain speed and position through a corner. Instead of braking hard for a reducing radius like your competitor you can keep your foot planted and take the longer way around. Witness Schumacher at the first corner of the Hungaroring last week for the latest example! A great way to gain positions at a hugely congested and slow corner and not "shortcut" the track.

What can be done about it? Maybe a very coarse runoff that would allow the tires traction to slow but rough enough to loosen the fillings of a driver if such a combination is at all possible. Speed bumps located in the area where the driver would rejoin the track.

But gravel traps annoy me even more.

garyshell
10th August 2010, 17:17
Gravel traps do not even slow a car down if they go straight in at speed. In fact, in many cases, the opposite occurs where the cars get slightly airborne and skim across the surface. They have little contact with anything to slow them down - except for the tire wall they eventually hit. Going in sideways is different because the cars do slow quicker than on pavement. Except of course, when the tires dig in and the car flips.

I'm not a big fan of gravel traps.

Starter, thanks that was pretty much the argument the Speed guys made on the F1 debrief I saw when they talked about this.

Gary

TURN3
10th August 2010, 18:43
I agree with all of the points taken above. There is no "perfect" solution and in the end racing has an inherent danger in it. They have to and need to make facilities as safe as possible but maintain the integrity of the "race course". I say evaluate each corner and make a choice...whatever it is the driver has to balance risk vs reward...that's part of the sport. Raise the tight rope back to at least 15'.

Anubis
10th August 2010, 19:11
. Except of course, when the tires dig in and the car flips.

I'm not a big fan of gravel traps.

Leaves us with something of a contradiction really. On the one hand, large tarmac run-offs fail to penalise mistakes, allowing drivers to gain advantage through their errors and/or recklessness. On the other, given the right angle of entry, a gravel trap can turn a very minor transgression into a huge accident, which would seem to be overly penalising the very same error. Tricky one.

garyshell
10th August 2010, 19:15
Raise the tight rope back to at least 15'.

The ideal would be to raise the tightrope for the car to 50' while lowering the tightrope for the driver to 3". But that, I realize is unattainable. But my point is that the idea ought to be to make the runoffs rough enough to bend the suspension while allowing them to effectively stop the car. What I am thinking out loud, is curbing. Not a single high curb (potential for launching) but a series of parallel lower curbs.

Like I said I am thinking out loud here.

Gary

garyshell
10th August 2010, 19:17
Leaves us with something of a contradiction really. On the one hand, large tarmac run-offs fail to penalise mistakes, allowing drivers to gain advantage through their errors and/or recklessness. On the other, given the right angle of entry, a gravel trap can turn a very minor transgression into a huge accident, which would seem to be overly penalising the very same error. Tricky one.

Wheels off (without an assist from another driver) = drive thru penalty???? That might do the trick.

Gary

Anubis
10th August 2010, 19:19
Sometimes other drivers got in his way as well.....

Backwards and and some speed, in the case of Nick Heidfeld! Not ALWAYS Taku's fault. And he's still responsible for one of my favourite moments in recent F1 history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRJwZu5Qqio

That's the annoying thing about Sato. He does have talent, it just seems rather lumpy, in the sense it tends to arrive unannounced, all at once and between a lot of being rubbish and/or falling off.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2010, 19:28
Backwards and and some speed, in the case of Nick Heidfeld! Not ALWAYS Taku's fault. And he's still responsible for one of my favourite moments in recent F1 history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRJwZu5Qqio

That's the annoying thing about Sato. He does have talent, it just seems rather lumpy, in the sense it tends to arrive unannounced, all at once and between a lot of being rubbish and/or falling off.
That is one of the reasons I refuse to rip the guy. When he is not engaged in helping Dallara's bottom line this year, he has shown flashes of pure speed for a team that hasn't built a fast car in any consistent way.

That said, he proved once again why he is getting the rep he has. He turns his brain off at times....

Anubis
10th August 2010, 19:30
Wheels off (without an assist from another driver) = drive thru penalty???? That might do the trick.

Gary

Trouble with that is how you define "assist". Wouldn't be as simple as contact, as that would ignore drivers taking evasive action, at which point you then also have to define what you mean by "evasive", and I'm sure opinions would vary greatly on that one! Some sort of graduated response would seem reasonable. All four wheels over the white line x times and you get a drive through, stop go or grid drop perhaps? Never going to please everyone.

Shifter
11th August 2010, 06:55
The ideal would be to raise the tightrope for the car to 50' while lowering the tightrope for the driver to 3". But that, I realize is unattainable. But my point is that the idea ought to be to make the runoffs rough enough to bend the suspension while allowing them to effectively stop the car. What I am thinking out loud, is curbing. Not a single high curb (potential for launching) but a series of parallel lower curbs.

Like I said I am thinking out loud here.

Gary

I like that idea for auto racing, but I'm sure the bike racers would despise it.