PDA

View Full Version : What were the reasons for Silverstones exit?

mattie007
8th December 2006, 11:45
It would be nice if we were told why Silverstone has been dropped. It seems strange that the most famous track has been dropped for an airfield in Hampshire.

thompp
8th December 2006, 12:58
It would be nice if we were told why Silverstone has been dropped. It seems strange that the most famous track has been dropped for an airfield in Hampshire.

Rockingham, not Snetterton

real_illusions
8th December 2006, 13:36
according to Autosport magazine this week,

"BTCC organisers have offered the circuit the 2nd round of the ch'ship on April 21/22, but Silverstone has yet to take it up amid concerns over clashes with other heavily promoted events. A British superbike ch'ship round is the week later and the FIA GT round a week after that."

thats about it really..

:)

Rusty
8th December 2006, 15:34
Rockingham, not Snetterton

I think he Means Thruxton when he says an Airfield in Hampshire Thompp cause their going there twice....

CarlMetro
8th December 2006, 15:48
I think he Means Thruxton when he says an Airfield in Hampshire Thompp cause their going there twice....

Especially seeing as Snetterton is in Norfolk, a fact that I thought Thomp was aware of seeing as it's his local circuit? :laugh:

Robinho
8th December 2006, 15:55
but Thruxton hasn't replaced Silverstone, that is looking after Mondello's round until everyone is rich enough to travel to Ireland again!

i think Silverstone have discovered that they aren't bigger than motorsport in this country and that they need the fans more than we need them.

they may be the only place that can really host the GP but they are by far from the only circuit in the country and a series without Silverstone does not neccessarily diminish from its spectacle as they seem to belive.

i've not heard anyone come out and say they are gutted not to have silverstone on the calender for next year, and i for one am glad to see Rockingham back, gives some variety, will probably be cheaper than Silverstone and you can see more of the circuit as a spectator

thompp
8th December 2006, 16:02
sorry about that - senior moment, I guess

Captain VXR
8th December 2006, 17:54
I'm gutted as Rockingham is too far but Silverstone is not.
I am happy to see Rockingham back though

CarlMetro
8th December 2006, 18:05
I'm gutted as Rockingham is too far but Silverstone is not.

There is less than 40 miles between them so even if you were coming up from Cornwall, you only have a max of 40 more miles, and that's too far? :crazy:

mattie007
8th December 2006, 23:47
Thanks for the replies. So if Silverstone do get to have a round will the championship be increased to 11 rounds?

daz90
8th December 2006, 23:52
I read the artikle in Autosport, and from what i gathered the BTCC organisers are still waiting for a reply from Silverstone on wheather or not they will accept the date, no final decision made yet?

Might be me getting it wrong though.

As for Rockingham, thats not at all far from Silverstone, and very near kettering i think. So for me atleast its very close.

Tomski
8th December 2006, 23:53
Am I the only person who finds Silverstone a bleak, open, and impersonnal. Your miles from the action thanks to all the F1 safety fencing & runoff area's you might as well be at home.

Before someone mentions this season finale crowds, I feel they would have gone to whichever circuit was hosting the last round.

daz90
8th December 2006, 23:59
Alot of people had free tickets for the final round, so that boosted the gate. But yes your right it is a bit of a bleak place.

Ur not a salmon
9th December 2006, 00:20
Am I the only person who finds Silverstone a bleak, open, and impersonnal. Your miles from the action thanks to all the F1 safety fencing & runoff area's you might as well be at home.

And sitting so far up from the ground at Rockingham that you feel nauseous, plus having to use binoculars if you want to see anything is better?

acorn
9th December 2006, 12:07
And sitting so far up from the ground at Rockingham that you feel nauseous, plus having to use binoculars if you want to see anything is better?

sounds like you need to see a doctor about your vertigo(no higher than the upperlevels at twickenham) and an optometrist about your restricted vision.

Ur not a salmon
9th December 2006, 14:42
I think you might need to see an optometrist as well, those rose tinted spectacles are clearly causing you some problems. ;)

Hazell B
9th December 2006, 17:38

Having spent time in the grandstands at both tracks, the distance is probably less at Rockingham than Silverstone from seated bottom to track most of the time. Plus, you can see far more of the track at Rockingham than any seat in Silverstone.

Anyway, I read on teletext yesterday that Alan Gow wrote to Silverstone some time ago saying his calendar simply didn't fit in with Silverstone's, so he would not be using them this year. Silverstone then went to the racing media saying they were "shocked and at a loss ...." as to why they had been dropped. By yesterday, they had admitted getting the letter from Gow after all. No idea why their people had slightly stretched the truth about not knowing they'd been dropped, but it's probably as much a misunderstanding as anything.

On a different note, Silverstone are claiming to have already sold record numbers of GP tickets on the back of Jenson Button's win last season. Yeah, sure they have - just like they claim to have almost sold out every year before offering cut price deals ..... :dozey:

Dave B
9th December 2006, 18:35
Silverstone is a terrible circuit to spectate at, yet usually produces great racing.

AndySpeed
9th December 2006, 18:39
On a different note, Silverstone are claiming to have already sold record numbers of GP tickets on the back of Jenson Button's win last season. Yeah, sure they have - just like they claim to have almost sold out every year before offering cut price deals ..... :dozey:

Quite simply a marketing tactic. People following other people, not wanting to miss out, so obviously the promoter tries to instill a hyperbolic sense of urgency or popularity about the event.

Hazell B
9th December 2006, 19:03
Quite simply a marketing tactic. People following other people, not wanting to miss out, so obviously the promoter tries to instill a hyperbolic sense of urgency or popularity about the event.

I know, but it sounds sadder each year, especially when they start in November. Why don't they just tell the truth? I mean, saying "Buy a ticket and Jensen may just win for you" is just as rewarding sales-wise as "They're selling like mad because Jens won one" when it's clearly this year's sales lie.

Put it this way, a non-GP fan I know laughed out loud at the quote in his paper. He could smell the bullplop a mile off!

Captain VXR
9th December 2006, 19:36
Silverstone is a good circuit, shame about the managment

mattie007
9th December 2006, 19:58
As for Rockingham, thats not at all far from Silverstone, and very near kettering i think. So for me atleast its very close.

2 of us from Kettering! Its only about 10 minutes from us!

daz90
9th December 2006, 22:41
I am from Grantham Lincolnshire, but its only a 40 minute drive to Kettering from here.