PDA

View Full Version : Marcos Looking

71Fan
27th July 2010, 19:22
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/Marcos-Ambrose-to-leave-JTG-Daugherty-at-end-of-2010-072710

“It has been a great five-year journey for me and JTG Daugherty Racing,” Ambrose said. “I am proud of being their driver and of what we have been able to accomplish together. … Our plan is to complete the 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season with the same desire and commitment and end our relationship the same way it started, with a positive attitude and the willingness to win. I will do everything I can to help JTG Daugherty transition into next year with their new driver.

“After five years, I personally felt it was time for a change. I have no firm plans of what will come next for me and my career. I would like to continue in NASCAR and finish off what I started, but I have not discounted returning to Australia. I’m grateful to JTG Daugherty Racing for giving me an opportunity to become a NASCAR driver and I wish them the best in the future.”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well I for one hope he lands a top ride and sticks around. He is an outstanding road course driver, and has learned the ovals well. Somebody is going to get one heck of a driver, but I sure don't want to see him taking another 2nd or 3rd tier ride.

Jonesi
27th July 2010, 20:01
I can't figure out what ride might be open for him.

Jonesi
27th July 2010, 22:26
Marcos was just on NascarNow and said the rumor he's going to Petty was incorrect.

71Fan
28th July 2010, 10:03
found this at dot com

"Even though he has "no firm plans," Ambrose is a candidate to replace Kasey Kahne in the No. 9 or Elliott Sadler in the No. 19 at Richard Petty Motorsports, sources close to the situation said. Kahne announced he would leave RPM in April and that he had signed to drive the No. 5 car for Hendrick Motorsports beginning in 2012. Sadler announced earlier this month he would not return to RPM. Neither has announced plans for 2011."

Might not be top tier but it's a step in the right direction.

71Fan
28th July 2010, 10:05
Marcos was just on NascarNow and said the rumor he's going to Petty was incorrect.

Oh well, so much for the quote from dto com eh?

dcr22B
28th July 2010, 11:59
I hope he goes back Down Under to SBR.

wedge
28th July 2010, 13:11
found this at dot com

"Even though he has "no firm plans," Ambrose is a candidate to replace Kasey Kahne in the No. 9 or Elliott Sadler in the No. 19 at Richard Petty Motorsports, sources close to the situation said. Kahne announced he would leave RPM in April and that he had signed to drive the No. 5 car for Hendrick Motorsports beginning in 2012. Sadler announced earlier this month he would not return to RPM. Neither has announced plans for 2011."

Might not be top tier but it's a step in the right direction.

That's what I was thinking. Must be contract negotiations or something, Ambrose would be a fool for not talking to Petty at the very least.

00steven
28th July 2010, 16:12
t

00steven
28th July 2010, 16:13
Well according to Sirius radio the deal is 95% done for Ambrose to go to the #9 and Bobby Labonte is the leading man for the job to replace him in the #47.

Silly Season has officially begun!!!

00steven
28th July 2010, 16:16
Also have seen that Allmendinger may race for Penske next year.

Lee Roy
28th July 2010, 17:51
I hope something good works out for Ambrose. It would be a shame to lose him from NASCAR.

Mark in Oshawa
28th July 2010, 18:41
Ambrose is likely going to RPM because it appears they will have some empty seats.

He isn't good enough to justify a seat at Hendrick, RCR, Gibbs or Roush in some ways, but he is a decent driver, and he may have his day in the sun yet. Likely at Watkins Glen, where I have never seen a guy from the "outside" as a ringer apart from Pruett or Ron Fellows be so competitive so fast in a Cup car there..

71Fan
28th July 2010, 19:32
Oh I don't know, that German guy was hanging quite well for a while. And I really think that if Boris ever got in to a car there that he didn't have to over-drive to keep up....oh well....specualtion

Mark in Oshawa
28th July 2010, 20:39
Oh I don't know, that German guy was hanging quite well for a while. And I really think that if Boris ever got in to a car there that he didn't have to over-drive to keep up....oh well....specualtion

Boris overdrives on his own....he drove a defacto Roush Ford and still got into trouble.
The German guy? which one?

AT the Glen, out of all the Ringers, there are a few that have run up front and been a threat to win. Carpentier, Pruett and Fellows (who won there 3 times in Busch/NW and finshed second to Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon). Ambrose when he came along was in the same class.

Boris....well he is a great guy, a character, but he has no consistent record of results where he has ever beat over a season the likes of Pruett, Fellows or Kendall for that matter.

I am evil Homer
28th July 2010, 22:16
Maybe he meant Ekstrom the Swedish guy from DTM?

Mr. Mister
30th July 2010, 01:54
The only German I can think of who dabbled in NASCAR was Klaus Graf, but he certainly didn't appear to be "hanging quite well for a while," even on the roadies (he DNQ'd at Watkins Glen, actually, but that may have been due to rain. Started P43 and finished P38 at Infineon. Finished second in ARCA race at Nashville, which isn't actually an accomplishment). Confusing Ekström for a German seems more likely, and an easy mistake to make since he does race in DTM, a German series.

Confirmed, as I imagine you all know by now, that Labonte gets the 47 in 2011. I'll speculate he's filling the seat for Bayne in 2012, but who knows?

Ambrose has been so disappointing this year, part of which has been luck. He was fantastic in 2009, scoring top tens at every type of track and flirting with the Chase until this time last year. I think he could show a lot of that form again with a change of scenery, whether that be the 9 or the 77 (which could become the 12, I suppose, unless Penske's expanding to four cars which would seem to be out of left field at this point when only two are actually funded).

Whatever happens, it is interesting to have a bit of hot stove since nearly all the big names are confirmed outside of Kahne. I'd definitely love for Ambrose to find a team and make it work, much like McMurray has done this year. Both are very nice guys and deserve it.

Jag_Warrior
31st July 2010, 20:52
Also have seen that Allmendinger may race for Penske next year.

I'd love to see that!

ms0362
4th August 2010, 19:26
May have shown his hand a little to soon. Must be pretty frustrating at the 47camp.

71Fan
4th August 2010, 21:34
Sorry guys....brain fade I guess.....it was Ekstrom I was thinking of

Jonesi
4th August 2010, 22:01
Just announced on NascarNow
Paul Menard & sponsor go to RCR as 4th car.
AJA re-signs for #43 car.

With KK & ES out next year I would think MA is the most likely pick for a 2nd Petty car, but they still need sponsorship.

71Fan
4th August 2010, 23:33
thanks Jonesi

Just took a glance at his stats....ya know, he'f been running at the end 121 of 132 races....9 crashes, 2 overheating.....might not be even close to the best driver out there but that seems pretty impressive to me.

And of course it's good for RCR to grab Menard's in the current racing economy.

As for AJ and Petty.....Just a dang shame that Petty can't attract a top tier driver considering that they WERE the team at one time.

Mark in Oshawa
5th August 2010, 20:24
thanks Jonesi

Just took a glance at his stats....ya know, he'f been running at the end 121 of 132 races....9 crashes, 2 overheating.....might not be even close to the best driver out there but that seems pretty impressive to me.

And of course it's good for RCR to grab Menard's in the current racing economy.

As for AJ and Petty.....Just a dang shame that Petty can't attract a top tier driver considering that they WERE the team at one time.

They inherited a top class driver with Kahne, but couldn't give him the platform to compete on a regular basis.

RPM/Gillette are not a top quality ride. If they were, people would be lining up to drive their cars. George Gillette is a brilliant man in a lot of areas, but the day he bought out Ray Evernham and then didn't listen to Ray is the day he started wasting his money. As for Richard Petty, he did what he had to stay in racing, but I suspect in the end, the bean counters are calling the shots there and it shows.

Marcos may have been better off at JTG for another year, but I smell Ford's hands in all of this. He was a FORD property when he came to America, and they placed him at JTG and the Wood's and when JTG went to the Toyota camp with MWR, that hurt them in their Australian marketing Iam sure. Marcos was a Ford guy, and Ford were the reason Marcos got to America and a ride in the first place...so do the math...

00steven
15th August 2010, 21:56
I don't know how well Menerd will do at RCR. I give him 2 years and then out of a ride.

wbcobrar
15th August 2010, 22:10
What Paul will bring is a ton of daddys cash, that alone should make the other RCR cars faster(assuming they can find the quality people required to run a 4 car effort). I thought he was a joke racing at the cup level, but I have to admit that his ability in the car has vastly improved this season so who knows?

Jonesi
15th August 2010, 23:09
I don't know how well Menard will do at RCR. I give him 2 years and then out of a ride.

His father is a Billionaire, he's in Cup as long as he wants to be.

beachbum
16th August 2010, 01:18
His father is a Billionaire, he's in Cup as long as he wants to be.One of the ultimate ride buyers.

Unlike the last ride buyer at RCR (John Wes Townley), he at least has some talent.

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2010, 07:14
Menard will do ok..and that is what he is. An ok serviceable driver, who may win a cup race one day. Good thing Dad writes the checks, you ever see an interview with him? Dull fella...pleasant, but dull.

Jonesi
17th August 2010, 08:26
Petty announcement tomorrow.

Lee Roy
18th August 2010, 19:51
I'm glad that Ambrose will have a more competitive ride next year.

Mark in Oshawa
19th August 2010, 19:55
I'm glad that Ambrose will have a more competitive ride next year.

I don't think for a second however that his current ride was actually THAT bad Lee Roy. His car, for all intensive purposes is a MWR ride...and they have done ok in the last little while with Reutimann and Truex. Kahne's talent and chemistry with Kenny Francis I think is what has made that number 9 effort go....

The key thing is, is Francis going with Kahne, or is he going to be on the box for Marcos?