PDA

View Full Version : Non-Indy one offs

MDS
27th July 2010, 19:01
I meant to post this before Toronto, but time got away from me. I think if everyone is serious about building the series the league should start doing outreach to other forms of motorsport to boost the field at the bigger non-Indy events.

Toronto was a perfect candidate for event building this year as its a big race that fell on an off weekend for a number of series. Since it was a NASCAR off week so Robby Gordon, Scott Speed and A.J. Allmendinger were available. GP3 and GP2 were off so there was a bevy of talented young drivers available including Canadian boys Robert Wickens and Daniel Morad and rising American Josef Newgarden, not to mention Canadian BAMF Andrew Ranger, and still popular JV. If the stakes are raised to the point where a few cars stand a good chance of missing the race, then you make qualifying more important, and if you had some NASCAR guys in the field you'd probably get some more eye-balls overall.

If ICS had the connections setup where drivers of a certain caliber could reach out to the league and express interest in making certain events, Indy and others, and the league could arrange a team and/or help with sponsorship we'd see more drivers showing up at our bigger events, making them bigger while building the series and teams.

Looking at the schedule there's no reason why there couldn't be high profile one-offs at Long Beach, Texas and Toronto. NASCAR Drivers race everything on their off weeks and when you look at guys like Scott Speed, A.J. Allmendinger and Sam Hornish who are all looking at losing their their rides solid runs in another series would help their stock in NASCAR and give them a connection to another series. Similarly they could build Motegi into a true Japanese Indy 500 by helping to get more Japanese drivers like Sakon Yamamoto and Kohei Hirate into the race and build up that event more. NASCAR did a great job of recruiting local drivers and sponsors when it raced in Japan, Mexico and Canada.

Of course it would cost a good bit of capitol outlay, and require at least one full time staff member dedicated making connections to sponsors and drivers in other series, but I think it would pay for itself in prestige, and potentially ratings.

Scotty G.
27th July 2010, 23:02
The costs for these individual races is WAY too much and the ROI for one-off sponsors is WAY not enough.

Simply put, the other races (besides Japan, because there are always 1 or 2 guys like Koskue and Yasakawa who buy rides for those races), don't mean a whole lot in the big picture.

Lousada
27th July 2010, 23:20
Unless they get a Penske/Ganassi, why would they bother? They would only tarnish their reputation. Gp2/Gp3 drivers might be interested but how many ordinary fans care about them?

Easy Drifter
28th July 2010, 00:18
Andrew Ranger was racing in Toronto. In the Cdn Tire Series taxi cabs and he won.

MDS
28th July 2010, 01:12
Andrew Ranger was racing in Toronto. In the Cdn Tire Series taxi cabs and he won.

That's my point, Andrew Ranger was there... Robert Wickens and Daniel Morad were there. Wickens expressed interest but his manager didn't have the time/connections to make a deal for Toronto happen, and honestly he shouldn't have to. The ICS should have a marketing arm robust enough to reached out and helped make that happen.

American corporations like Home Depot, Proctor and Gamble and Best Buy have a significant Canadian presence and while they might not see value in a full-time ICS deal could see value in a two-race deal for Toronto and Edmonton, like Hotwheels Canada did with Tags. Also Canadian companies like Tim Horton or Molson could find value in the two Canadian races as well.

It shouldn't be on the drivers or team to bring in these companies. The ICS needs to an active partner in recruiting new sponsors. NASCAR has marketing offices in New York, Los Angeles and Daytona and I'm not kidding here when I say last I heard the IRL's marketing office is three people and a couple of interns. Since the ICS is going to be in Canada for at least the next three years they need to hire a Canadian marketing firm dedicated to finding Canadian sponsors for the league, Edmonton and Toronto and sponsors willing to sponsor a car at the two races. They don't have that, and as a result the only car with a Canadian sponsor at the last two events was PT.

When it comes to getting into a competitive car it all depends on having drivers and sponsors who want to do it. If one of Target's associate sponsors wanted to put JPM in a third Ganassi car at Toronto it wouldn't have cost much and he could win the race. If Red Bull wanted Scott Speed in a car and got an extra car from AGR there's no doubt he could could be competitive.

e2mtt
28th July 2010, 13:51
sure would be cool...

champcarray
28th July 2010, 18:00
Well said, MDS. I can only hope the powers that be can help the sport build with one-offs for locals/fan favorites. Hopefully the announcing crew would talk about these drivers, even if they are stuck at the back in a sucko car. That goes for the series regulars, too!

Mark in Oshawa
28th July 2010, 19:24
I think the IRL should try for stuff like this, but not spend large sums of money on it. It is up to teams, and sponsors to identify opportunities for things like this...and the IRL should just facilitate where they can, but in the end, the demand has to come from the drivers, their agents and teams who are smart and/or rich enough to take advantage.

Jag_Warrior
28th July 2010, 19:46
I think the IRL should try for stuff like this, but not spend large sums of money on it. It is up to teams, and sponsors to identify opportunities for things like this...and the IRL should just facilitate where they can, but in the end, the demand has to come from the drivers, their agents and teams who are smart and/or rich enough to take advantage.

I agree with this. And I also agree with MDS that the IRL should expand its marketing staff. I didn't know the precise number (3 full-time people... based in a series of cubicles in Indy, I'm guessing?), but without a dedicated staff of marketing and PR professionals, it's harder to be taken seriously. And the facilitation that Mark is talking about is harder to do.

It's really easy to spend other people's money, but IMO, the IRL better open its wallet and get on the stick well BEFORE 2012 if it expects this new engine and chassis formula to get some traction with sponsors, fans and technology partners.

Easy Drifter
28th July 2010, 19:49
ALMS put Wickens in an IMSA Lights car at Mosport last year and really talked him up on the track PA.