PDA

View Full Version : Historic question for the die-hards!

Jarek Z
7th March 2007, 11:18
Can anybody tell me when a mixed-surface event was held in WRC for the last time? I remember Rally Sanremo was one day gravel and one day tarmac. Were there any other events like that?

Zamppa
7th March 2007, 11:33
Catalunya and Portugal were also mixed surface events in the past, weren't they? RAC also had some tarmac stages in the history...

My guess is 1996 San Remo, as I think the single surface rule came about in 1997...

Corny
7th March 2007, 12:10
RAC 1999.. But that were only the sunday (??) stages..

Otherwise, San Remo 1996

Josti
7th March 2007, 12:15
I tought the opening stages of the '97 Portugal rally were also run on asphalt (could be partly however). Otherwise, indeed Sanremo '96.

Corny
7th March 2007, 12:42
Only the opening stage Joost! :D

jso1985
8th March 2007, 19:42
must have been 1996(due the single surface rule starting in 1997)

but technically is 2006 Wales, the Millenium stadium stage was in tarmac ;)

jonkka
8th March 2007, 21:14
Depends entirely on definition of "mixed surface rally".

On most rallies held on a single surface, there are small stretches of a stage on different surface. Examples include entire stages like above-mentioned tarmac super specials on gravel rallies but also small portion of tarmac road on gravel stage (Finland had such a year or two ago, for example) or simply very gravelly section on tarmac round due to corner cutting or wash-downs in hilly parts, if definition is taken to extremes.

I myself use 10% as a rule of thumb. Rally is a single surface rally if 90% of stages is held on single surface, otherwise I classify it as a mixed event. Monte is always mixed regardless of this due to it's special nature.

If one follows my rule, super specials don't count and indeed 1996 San Remo was the last mixed rally at WRC level.

AndyRAC
9th March 2007, 11:14
I'd agree that San Remo 1996 was the last Mixed surface event. Should never have got rid of them, the excuse the teams used just doesn't wash. Bring 'em back!!!

Donney
9th March 2007, 11:33
I remember the old Acropolis also had some tarmac stages.

Fly
9th March 2007, 11:41
I'd agree that San Remo 1996 was the last Mixed surface event. Should never have got rid of them, the excuse the teams used just doesn't wash. Bring 'em back!!!

I went to San Remo 1996, and I have to say, it's one of the most memorable rallies I've been to. The problem was the long distance between Tuscany and San Remo! 2 or 3 days in Tuscany and 1 day near San Remo is out of question with the current rules (rally HQ...)

AndyRAC
9th March 2007, 11:43
Agree entirely, just shows whats wrong with the current layout of events.

Jarek Z
9th March 2007, 12:11
Is there a rule somewhere in the FIA regulations that forbids mixed surface events in WRC and ERC?

Thank you very much for all the answers guys!

Jaanus
9th March 2007, 12:24
Yes there is. It is against the rules to have a mixed surface rally in the WRC.

3.1 Types of road surface
Unless a waiver is requested by the Organiser ASN
and granted by the FIA, a road surface of a single
type (asphalt or gravel) must be used for the special
stages of a rally.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1948515195__WRC_reg.pdf

jonkka
9th March 2007, 12:30
Yesh:

3. Characteristics of the Rallies
3.1 Types of road surface
Unless a waiver is requested by the Organiser ASN and granted by the FIA, a road surface of a single type (asphalt or gravel) must be used for the special stages of a rally.

Source: FIA WRC Regulations (http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/rallyregs.html, document FIA World Rally Championship ie. second from the top)

Jarek Z
8th April 2007, 12:07
You are right guys, mixed surface events are forbidden in WRC, but I have just noticed that they are not forbidden in European Championship! All that FIA regulations say about characteristics of the rallies in ERC is the following:

3. CHARACTERISTICS OF THE RALLIES
3.1 Each rally in the Championship must respect the following criteria:
3.1.1 The total distance of the special stages is set at a distance between 250 km and 300 km.
3.1.2 The maximum average speed in the special stages is 120 kph.
3.2 Except when an explicit waiver is granted by the FIA, secret stages are not admitted in rallies of the European Championship.
3.3 The duration of a rally is defined as follows:
3.3.1 A schedule of 3 full days from the start of the rally (beginning of scrutineering) until prizegiving of the rally is obligatory.
(http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/452103645__Europe_Rally.pdf)

The organizers of ELPA Rally in Greece will use this fact and organize a mixed surface event in ERC - first day tarmac and second day gravel. You can read about it here:
http://www.ercrally.com/ar-greece.asp

Do you think it's a good idea in modern times? Won't it make the rally much more expensive for the crews?

Brother John
8th April 2007, 14:12
Mixed surface was for me in 1972-74 gravel and tarmac in one stage!
That was :D Real fun!
I want to see Loeb doing this a whole rally, where would he be in the final results?

jso1985
9th April 2007, 00:35
1st? or maybe 5th or 6th in case of mech problem or driving mistake...

JAM
9th April 2007, 15:35
Until 1995 Rally of Portugal had the 1st leg on tarmac and the other ones on gravel. In 1986 the 1st amd 2nd leg was in tarmac, but this was the only one they did two legs on tarmac.

Starting in 1995 the rally was and still is a gravel event.