PDA

View Full Version : Fords performance in the WRC

steve_spackman
25th July 2010, 14:14
Why is Ford not doing so well in the WRC? Is the Focus outdated or is it the drivers or both?

N.O.T
25th July 2010, 14:36
its a mix of things....1st being the fact that the team manager is spending sponsor money on his tourist son instead of developing the car. Also ford has no plan for the future, they prefer to buy drivers instead of developing them.

RJM
25th July 2010, 17:54
Like N.O.T said i dont think ford have developed the focus at all this year or last year, i think both drivers are very good.

MikeD
25th July 2010, 19:00
Like N.O.T said i dont think ford have developed the focus at all this year or last year, i think both drivers are very good.

None of the current Ford drivers are world champion potential and that is one of the reasons for their lack of success. Hirvonen is just not fast enough and Latvala is a crash-head and completely rubbish on tarmac.

Apart from that the team management refuse to accept that they need good tarmac drivers because they lose out on these events big time every year.
And then of couse Malcom Wilson uses a very good WRC car on his useless son instead of giving it to a driver with a potential to fight the Citroën drivers.

Apart from that, then the current Focus RS was launced one year earlier than the C4 so while there might be some development potential in the C4 this year, there wasn't more to extract from the Focus.

But maybe Ford will be succesfull with the new Fiesta for next year, but I would still put my money on Citroën blowing them away again....

N.O.T
25th July 2010, 19:06
None of the current Ford drivers are world champion potential and that is one of the reasons for their lack of success. Hirvonen is just not fast enough and Latvala is a crash-head and completely rubbish on tarmac.

i wouldn't say that, if you take Loeb out of the equation then the ford drivers would be champions i think....Latvala has the speed but the consistency will probably never come like Mcrae. On the other hand Hirvonen is fast but he has no balls to get himself in a battle so he just waits....i think he hoped that when Loeb retires he would be his time but unfortunately Ogier came up and spoiled the part for him, still he has a bigger chance to become champion with Ogier as rival since Loeb beats him up beyond recognition when he get the chance.

Tom206wrc
25th July 2010, 19:18
To my mind Ford drivers are too much over-driving the Focus to try to decrease the lack of developpment, leading them to make such mistakes :mark:

But don't worry Ford fans, in Germany you'll have Dudu among the drivers able to go flat out in the Focus :p :

Bobcat
25th July 2010, 19:25
Apart from that, then the current Focus RS was launced one year earlier than the C4 so while there might be some development potential in the C4 this year, there wasn't more to extract from the Focus.
Nothing ever happens for no reason at all. Nobody can do it without money.

rallyrazz
25th July 2010, 19:30
ford, imo, will have a better car next year due to lots of testing with the s2000, which will be a lot like the next world rally car, but ford really need someone who is strong on asphalt, and who dosen't crash a lot...hmm

Walach
25th July 2010, 21:04
Little bit OT,
... rallyrazz, I bet that DS3 will be better, unfortunately... :( but we will see.

Rallyper
25th July 2010, 21:33
The discrepance between Ford and Citroen did increase from 2009 to this year.

And why is that?

I think the Focus was as good as the C4 last year but Citroen instead of quiting the current cars did get on and developed the C4 into this season. No matter what agreement that was ahead of this season.
That´s the main reason why we see this favour of Citroen this year.

Another thing is that Loeb is Loeb and the man looks to be even more fast the longer he drives.

The way to beat Citroen is what you´ve said: MW has to employ faster driver beside MH and JML who will be at Ford even in 2011.

RJM
25th July 2010, 22:20
I really do think that hirvonen could be world champion next year IF the fiesta is as good or better than the ds3, he is very consistant and he must have bigish balls to win a rally like Finland!

Bobcat
26th July 2010, 13:39
The discrepance between Ford and Citroen did increase from 2009 to this year.

And why is that?

I think the Focus was as good as the C4 last year but Citroen instead of quiting the current cars did get on and developed the C4 into this season. No matter what agreement that was ahead of this season.
That´s the main reason why we see this favour of Citroen this year.
I agree, you are right! I think that Ford has a long and very good history in the WRC and deserves more then only to be a FIA Citroen's supernumeraries.

Francis44
26th July 2010, 13:50
I can't understand why some of you refuse to admit that Loeb is simply faster than Hirvonnen, Hirvonnen was never very good (in comparision with Loeb I mean). He is consistent and still faster than most drivers but he can't match Loeb.

Simple as that.

Bobcat
26th July 2010, 14:13
Oh Loeb, poor little thing! Oops ..complete an all-Citroen top four-five ahead of the Fords.

That's all! It's simple, it's obvious.

Francis44
26th July 2010, 14:44
Oh Loeb, poor little thing! Oops ..complete an all-Citroen top four-five ahead of the Fords.

That's all! It's simple, it's obvious.

You know, you shouldn't try sarcasm, you fail miserably at it.

WRCfan
26th July 2010, 15:00
Malcolm has written this year off since before Sweden I think and turned the teams attention to the Fiesta and development on that. Why continue to squeeze more out of a car which has no more than one year left.

Time will tell but on the drivers side of things remember how long Loeb has been with Citroen, the C4 is pretty much a tailor made machine for him. Also he is just a natural talent so that's a pretty rock solid package...

RJM
26th July 2010, 15:49
We all know that loeb is an amazing driver, but he's not unbeatable, whether it's hirvonen or ogier someone has to beat him soon.he can't keep wining forever, if the fiesta is good enough I think next year hirvonen can be champion...if not i think malcom needs to get meeke in...

Bobcat
27th July 2010, 23:09
Al Qassimi stunned by Citroen pace as Ogier takes a step up... http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100728/SPORT/707279886/1060

Bobcat
28th July 2010, 14:32
The M-Sport/Ricardo five speed gearbox and grip on a surface with little adhesion and the new Fiesta...

...sure enough, also Pipo's engine.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/03/1072468
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/06/1147740
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/07/1162493

Oh God, it's totally ridiculous! :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Ucci
28th July 2010, 15:03
Al Qassimi stunned by Citroen pace as Ogier takes a step up... http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100728/SPORT/707279886/1060

Al Qassimi can be still stunned by Xsara WRC pace.....

euskalteam
29th July 2010, 10:53
The M-Sport/Ricardo five speed gearbox and grip on a surface with little adhesion and the new Fiesta...

...sure enough, also Pipo's engine.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/03/1072468
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/06/1147740
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/07/1162493

Oh God, it's totally ridiculous! :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Can anyone traslate thouse texts please?

Roy
29th July 2010, 11:17
Can anyone traslate thouse texts please?

Use translate.google.com

Bobcat
29th July 2010, 13:33
Yes, using http://translate.google.com/, here's another reason why... http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/ralli/2010/07/1163356

Ucci
31st July 2010, 19:01
I'm kind happy for JML win in Finland, because now we have a proof, that Focus is still on the same level as C4, the car yust need a fast driver and thanks to home ground JML (which gave some extra speed to JML) Ford won the race in front of crowd of Citroëns....
Belive me, the same story would be also on tarmac, they need yust a capable driver-and here is the bottom of the problem....the car is yust an excuse....

Tomi
31st July 2010, 19:04
I'm kind happy for JML win in Finland, because now we have a proof, that Focus is still on the same level as C4, the car yust need a fast driver and thanks to home ground JML (which gave some extra speed to JML) Ford won the race in front of crowd of Citroëns....
Belive me, the same story would be also on tarmac, they need yust a capable driver-and here is the bottom of the problem....the car is yust an excuse....

They should prepair them self to other rallies well too, testing and so on, then they might get results.

jonkka
31st July 2010, 19:15

I beg to differ. Citroen C4 is still the better car but on home ground and with somewhat subdued performance from Loeb JML was able to break Citroen's run. There are three tarmac rounds coming and if Loeb, let alone Citroen won't win all of those I am... well, I won't make any bets... :D

Daniel
31st July 2010, 20:40

Finns have always been able to carry cars which aren't 100% when they are at home. Just watch the rest of the season, this will be the high point for them.....

Tomi
31st July 2010, 20:47
Finns have always been able to carry cars which aren't 100% when they are at home. Just watch the rest of the season, this will be the high point for them.....

Cars never are 100%, but before this rally, both J-M and Mikko did do most kilometers than ever before to any rally, Ford is one of the sponsors of NORF, maybe thats why.
I belive that next rally they will prepaire for properly will be GB.

DonJippo
2nd August 2010, 06:06

Ford got new suspension parts for NORF that is the reason for improved speed and this time they really had decent testing as well prior the event.

tmx
2nd August 2010, 07:57
I think Jari winning is down to his ability, Ford still have a way to improve their car, but now they should concentrate on next year. I'm not even sure Ford will win the manufacturer since Citroen rotates Ogier and Dani for maximum points. As I said before, if the points are running away from them, Ford should consider letting other drivers drive the main WRC team and let the two Finns takes turn driving the Fiesta.

I'm still confused about who is the number one driver at Ford.

Bobcat
2nd August 2010, 14:02
Ford to include Duval in Germany test programme... http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/ford_to_include_duval_in_germany_test_programme/

Mintexmemory
2nd August 2010, 16:22
Cars never are 100%, but before this rally, both J-M and Mikko did do most kilometers than ever before to any rally, Ford is one of the sponsors of NORF, maybe thats why.
I belive that next rally they will prepaire for properly will be GB.
Agreed, they have little chance in Germany, France or Catalunya to beat Citroen on Tarmac (regardless of who is driving) and it's too distant to go testing for Japan. As a big J-M L fan I hope he can get the best of the luck that's going on the tarmac rallies and wins in Japan and GB.

alleskids
3rd August 2010, 21:36
How many points has Jari-Matti Latvalla lost this year because of playing second fiddle to teamleader Mikko Hirvonen?

N.O.T
3rd August 2010, 21:38
How many points has Jari-Matti Latvalla lost this year because of playing second fiddle to teamleader Mikko Hirvonen?

hmmm and still has more wins than him :) :)

Daniel
4th August 2010, 13:07

Moron Malcolm at his best :)

Bobcat
4th August 2010, 13:21
His two or zero points? http://www.wrc.com/results/

HaCo
4th August 2010, 15:29

You could turn it the other way around. Because he is second in the team he reaches the finish more often by taking less risks?

Bobcat
11th August 2010, 18:29
Wilson: we’re ready for Germany... http://www.wrc.com/news/wilson-were-ready-for-germany/?fid=13463

Roy
11th August 2010, 19:31
Maybe performance of BP Ford is not good this year. But M-Sport can rebuild a destroyed car very fast. Mikko's car in Finland is almost ready for Germany.

http://twitter.com/WRCgerardquinn/status/20903272948

N.O.T
12th August 2010, 08:27
the perfomance of the fords in germany will be far better than in bulgaria....still away from the top citroens but ahead of raikonnen

Barreis
12th August 2010, 09:01
If Loeb needed that win in Finland it could easily be a different scenario..

bluuford
12th August 2010, 11:27
I think that Loeb is getting a bit old already. Like he said he took a lot of risks when he won NORF and he does not want to repeat it again :-) So, that proves he is human :-)

Barreis
12th August 2010, 12:19
That means that he doesn't take lot of risks when he's winning other rallies.. :)

Bobcat
12th August 2010, 12:50
Oh Barreis, this joke was funny! :rotflmao: :roll:

Barreis
12th August 2010, 13:14
Thanx.. He won 50+ rallies so some of them was probably won that way..

I am evil Homer
12th August 2010, 13:47
What I've never understood is the point of Wilslow...okay apart from family connection! But what does he bring? Would Stobart not sponsor a driver hardly anyone sees? I can't believe he brings money to the ride and he's not experienced or good enough to be basically testing upgrades or set ups and provide feedback to the main drivers.

Total waste of a seat that someone could do much better with. But I guess when it comes to family, onjectivity goes out of the window.

Mirek
12th August 2010, 13:51
I don't think he sits on seat for someone else. In my opinion if Wilson doesn't start, there is just one WRC car less and nothing else.

N.O.T
12th August 2010, 13:54
]I don't think he sits on seat for someone else. In my opinion if Wilson doesn't start, there is just one WRC car less and nothing else.

and more sponsor money for the official team....