PDA

View Full Version : Petrov & renault

truefan72
23rd July 2010, 18:37
so I was reading this article

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/23072010/58/petrov-battling-renault-place.html

and started thinking.

Why exactly is Petrov in trouble?

I think all things considered he has done well for a rookie and his overall pace is fairly good. Yes Kubica is clearly out-driving him, but then again it, was to be expected. I don't even think Renault should have let Grosjean go, and to think that they are considering getting rid of another potentially good driver, seems rather shortsighted.

There are good examples of drivers given time to develop yielding good returns to the investment, while there are plenty of case of abymsmal performances with turnstile operations.

Unless Renault are gearing up for the Kimi sweepstakes they would be best served to retain Petrov. ( even if they get kimi he should be their 3rd driver) I can only see an upside in this guy

Mia 01
23rd July 2010, 21:09
so I was reading this article

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/23072010/58/petrov-battling-renault-place.html

and started thinking.

I think all things considered he has done well for a rookie and his overall pace is fairly good. Yes Kubica is clearly out-driving him, but then again it, was to be expected. I don't even think Renault should have let Grosjean go, and to think that they are considering getting rid of another potentially good driver, seems rather shortsighted.

There are good examples of drivers given time to develop yielding good returns to the investment, while there are plenty of case of abymsmal performances with turnstile operations.

Unless Renault are gearing up for the Kimi sweepstakes they would be best served to retain Petrov. ( even if they get kimi he should be their 3rd driver) I can only see an upside in this guy

Renualt needs moore WCC points. (money)

Koz
24th July 2010, 03:02
Money.

Yeah... Can't compare Kubi to a newbie, but if Kimi is really on the cards, they'd obviously rather have him, but it makes sense to keep the kid around as long as he keeps Lada with the Russian possibility on the horizon, there's no real loss. They have Kubica, who is capable of winning, and Petrov could be a nice number 2 for another year or three.

Kimi doesn't look like he's coming back, so I don't think they'll let him go.

Easy Drifter
24th July 2010, 04:25
Methinks Renault are looking either for a proven very fast driver (Kimi) or one with at least as much money as Petrov and about the same caliber or better.
In other words a current compentent F1 driver or a GP2 driver that can bring bags of cash.
Kubica is not only very quick but seems to be a good development man. Despite no testing I have a feeling he is clever enough with his feedback and knowledge he can impart to the team ideas for improvement and how to do them.

bumble1290
24th July 2010, 11:38
Aren't Renault rumoured to be announcing Mastercard as a title sponsor, maybe they don't need Petrov's cash as much as they did when they signed him. They do need two experienced drivers in their line up to grab those WCC points.

maximilian
24th July 2010, 15:23
Petrov has done OK, and shown a few flashes of talent, but hasn't really set the world on fire, and the points discrepancy to Kubica is monumental. As such, if Renault could get a driver such as Heidfeld, Sutil or even Glock, I am sure they'd gladly consider the switch!

All in all the rookies this year have been pretty disappointing so far (sure, some sit in inferior cars, but even then!)

wedge
24th July 2010, 16:00
Unfortunately with the testing ban in-season, rookies' rate of improvement is much less.

I think Petrov has been solid. Hulk I've seriously been disappointed by but looks like he may be on a roll with consistency and revealing his true self?

Jag_Warrior
25th July 2010, 21:46
Sadly, it seems down to money. I actually tried NOT to like Petrov (mainly because of the antics of his psycho hag mother in GP2), but he's managed to win me over... a bit. He's doing rather well. IMO, it would be a shame to see him lose his seat and for it to go to a ride-buyer with even less talent than he has.

keysersoze
26th July 2010, 04:45
I think Renault may not need his money next season. Pity for him, as he will probably end up at Sauber or some other cash-strapped outfit.

He started the race 5 positions (and, presumably, at least four seconds) behind Kubica and held that gap to his teammate pretty much the entire race.