PDA

View Full Version : Ant West

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tha_jackal
8th December 2006, 10:32
Surprise, surprise that im the one to re-create this thread :D

Just a quick update from Ants personal website..

UPDATE 5th of December 2006:

"Aprilia is holding a bike for Anthony, but there must be some things sorted out with the possible team he could ride with in 2007 and also the contract with some italian sponsors is not signed yet. So Ant followers out there keep the fingers crossed for your man and be excited what will come up next on this website... I will let you know asap - the webmaster!"

And the 5th of December was my bday, what a coincidance :laugh:

Peace..

axxexs
9th December 2006, 16:36
Would be good if West could get a semi fabrics aprilia. Hope he can get the money!

NinjaMaster
10th December 2006, 10:45
Do ya reckon his head is getting sore by now after banging against a brick wall for so long? Time for him to move on to greener pastures like WSS I reckon.

patnicholls
10th December 2006, 15:41
Kinda tough to see where he'd land in 250s even at present, my list looks like this so far:

250cc 2007 outline

Fortuna Aprilia - Lorenzo
Humangest Honda - Dovizioso & Takahashi
Aspar Aprilia - de Angelis & Bautista
Toth Aprilia - Barbera
Gilera - Locatelli
Repsol Honda - Shuhei Aoyama & Julian Simon
KTM - Hiroshi Aoyama & Kallio
BQR Aprilia - Aleix Espargaro & Pablo Nieto
Elit Aprilia - Luthi
Campetella Aprilia - Lai & Poggiali
Kiefer Aprilia - Heidolf & Baldolini
LCR Honda - Eugene Laverty
Stop & Go Honda - Perren
Cardion AB Aprilia/WTR Blauer - Karel Abraham & ??

Equip de France Aprilia (2)
Matteoni Aprilia (2)
Molenaar Honda (1)
Angaia Aprilia (1)
Winona Honda?? - Dan Linfoot?
Anyone else

Looking for work - Marco Simoncelli (unless I've missed something), Jakub Smrz, Anthony West, Martin Cardenas, Arturo Tizon, Taro Sekiguchi, Andrea Ballerini, Franco Battaini, David de Gea, Jordi Carchano, Jules Cluzel, Luca Morelli, Alessio Palumbo, etc

axxexs
10th December 2006, 17:00
Looking for work - Marco Simoncelli (unless I've missed something)

I think Marco is staying with Metis Gilera. Locatelli is going to be the official Gilera rider with the new version of the bike and Marco would have a bike that is in same spec as an aprilia RSV250 LE (semifabrics).

I cant Italian, but here is something i guess is saying something like Locatelli and Simoncelli is going to defend the colours of the red rings next year?

http://www.motocorse.com/news/motomondiale/12245_Conclusi_i_test_a_Jerez_per_il_Team_Gilera.p hp

tha_jackal
12th December 2006, 00:44
Another small, if insignifigant update:-

Extract from motogp.com:-

"Heidolf is joined by Alex Baldolini in 2007, on a kit Aprilia. 2006 Teammate Anthony West's future is still up in the air, although it is believed that he has an exciting 250cc ride lined up."

That sort of gives the impression that Ant's ride, should it come off, will be better than a standard kit bike. Now we just have to figure out what team he'll be riding with. Maybe a new one?? Anyway, at least we Ant fans have some hope.. :D

borut66
13th December 2006, 06:45
Another update to the list 250cc (2007) line-up:
Jakub Smrz is confirmed with Angaia Aprilia (from MotoGP.com).

axxexs
16th December 2006, 19:50
Manuel Poggiali is not going to race next year.

http://www.manuelpoggiali.it

tha_jackal
17th December 2006, 06:29
Manuel Poggiali is not going to race next year.

I read that on a german news site also.. Tis a shame considering his proven ability.. God knows where its gone :( Anyway, maybe that means Ant's deal involves Campetella.. They are Italian and they run aprilias. Maybe getting involved with them isnt the smartest move though, after what they did to Chaz Davies this year.. Anyway, I know Ants deal is pretty well signed and settled, just has to be announced. Better machinery = guarantee :up:

Peace..

Subaru WRX
17th December 2006, 08:24
for a Moto GP hardcore fan, is the 250cc more important than the World Superbike ?? :)

tha_jackal
17th December 2006, 09:40
for a Moto GP hardcore fan, is the 250cc more important than the World Superbike ?? :)

You bet it is.. MotoGP world champions come from the 250cc's before WSBK.. Thats why for me, its a breeding ground..

Peace.

Subaru WRX
17th December 2006, 12:41
as I thought :D

for me WSBK is by far more important than the 250cc !

I wonder if the Dorna organise an event with only 125cc and 250cc and we will see how much crowd will come :D

axxexs
17th December 2006, 13:06
as I thought :D

for me WSBK is by far more important than the 250cc !

I wonder if the Dorna organise an event with only 125cc and 250cc and we will see how much crowd will come :D

One reason why the Spanish TVE have to pay 3 times more to get the deal for the MotoGP coverage to 2011 was becouse 125 and 250 has become so popular. In bouth classes they get Spanish world champions. I wouldnt be surpised if there is more viewer to the smaller GP classes then WSBK in a lot of other countrys to.

Subaru WRX
17th December 2006, 13:36
are you serious here ??!! :eek: 125 and 250 more popular !!!! in Spain true because Dorna is Spanish but around the world :D :D

have you ever watch an SBK round on TV ?? at Monza, Brands Hatch even Assen and Imola with a huge crowd !

axxexs
17th December 2006, 18:27
are you serious here ??!! :eek: 125 and 250 more popular !!!! in Spain true because Dorna is Spanish but around the world :D :D

have you ever watch an SBK round on TV ?? at Monza, Brands Hatch even Assen and Imola with a huge crowd !

Yes. But not so many because i dont usually have the time to watch on the tv on the weekends in the summer. But I have been at races in both WSBK and MotoGP. Also did a race at one MotoGP in a support class, also involved to bye bikes from WSS (Yamaha and Honda) and from GP (Honda and aprilia) and I know some riders and mecanics in both series. So yes I think i got an idea of the racing i both world championships.

Monza have 90k, Brands 105k, Assen 80k and Imola 75k crowd. So yes they have big spectators. This is big contrys for the WSBK. Thats good.

NinjaMaster
19th December 2006, 07:54
Hmmm, a little off subject aren't we ;)

For me it is WSB. 250's are great but it is the tiddler class. Superbikes are every bit as exciting as the 250's but are more spectacular and they are more relevant in my opinion (the bikes that is). It is great seeing bikes you see on the road racing around the track.

You bet it is.. MotoGP world champions come from the 250cc's before WSBK.. Thats why for me, its a breeding ground..

Peace.

Like Nicky Hayden :p (AMA not WSB, I know but superbikes none-the-less).

tha_jackal
19th December 2006, 12:24
Hmmm, a little off subject aren't we ;)

Very off topic, this threads about Ant! Come on people! :laugh:

Like Nicky Hayden :p (AMA not WSB, I know but superbikes none-the-less).

Yes, but, im saying generally, 250cc riders are going to be future champions more often than WSBK or SBK riders. Especially now with the move to 800cc. The 800cc being even more like a 250cc. Just ask Loris, Marco, Toni and Valentino. Theyve all said its like a big 250.. :p : Thats where i get my method.

Back on topic, Ant's deal and sponsorship is all agreed on and will be finalised once he leaves Australia (on holiday break at the moment) and heads back over to Europe to sign the contracts and paper work. Lets just say Ant will be alot closer to the pointy end in 07. ;)

Peace.

NinjaMaster
20th December 2006, 10:16
Yes, but, im saying generally, 250cc riders are going to be future champions more often than WSBK or SBK riders. Especially now with the move to 800cc. The 800cc being even more like a 250cc. Just ask Loris, Marco, Toni and Valentino. Theyve all said its like a big 250.. :p : Thats where i get my method.

Fair enough. I think it will go in fits and starts according to talent pools. At the moment, 250's are the flavour of the month but in a few years Superbikes (World or national) could easily provide a fleet of fast young riders to dominate at the top level, much in the way that U.S. and Australian riders ruled 500cc during the mid to late 80's and the 90's from non-GP backgrounds.

Back on topic, Ant's deal and sponsorship is all agreed on and will be finalised once he leaves Australia (on holiday break at the moment) and heads back over to Europe to sign the contracts and paper work. Lets just say Ant will be alot closer to the pointy end in 07. ;)

Peace.

I really hope his equipment turns out to be as good as you're saying Jake. I've heard plenty of 'competitive' rides for people in the past only to find out that they really didn't have the budget for it and to go fast it compromised reliability. Hopefully 2007 sees Ant either competitive and move forward or move sideways to a WSS/WSB seat in 08.

patnicholls
20th December 2006, 21:31
Dare I ask - which team is he (rumoured) to be with?

Although it's a good sign that Motogp.com is mentioning him directly...

tha_jackal
20th December 2006, 23:12
Dare I ask - which team is he (rumoured) to be with?

Although it's a good sign that Motogp.com is mentioning him directly...

Dare you ask? Why are you afraid of asking? We're not gonna bite your head off :laugh: ...

I have no idea which team he is to be with, but judging by the provisional 250cc entry list it will be with Aprilia Germany, as they are the only team with TBC as their rider name.. Thats my guess anyway, the Chermans seem to like Ant for some reason... :p :

And yes, motogp.com mentioning him sort of makes you think he has some support heading his way from old dorna.. Ultimately, we just have to wait and see, probably until about Jan/Feb, like this year..

ozrevhead
21st December 2006, 00:55
Do ya reckon his head is getting sore by now after banging against a brick wall for so long?.

you'd think!

although its apparently next the wall Ryan's been banging his head on so Ant's had someone to talk to...

anywhoo - fingers crossed this deal does go through

Pantah Jack
23rd December 2006, 22:17
Hey Ant fans....hopefully all will be revealed asap...so we can all get some sleep. I for one, am pleased Ant is not with Kiefer Bos next year. Having moved from Honda to Aprilia in 2006 they simply could not solve the problems with the bike all be it one that was irregular. They were used to recieving near perfect stuff from Honda and that aint the case with Aprilia, especially the kit stuff which is way down the pecking order.

The guys at Kiefer also could not understand the make up of Ant and why he would react the way he did on occasions. The team is from the old East Germany and are a funny bunch of blokes. Good fun, but also a bit different in their make up from us Aussies. You only need to look at when was the last German World Champ to see my point.

Ant can win on LE Aprilia stuff...you only need to look at what Locatelli was able to do on one in 2006. As to what team...yeah Aprilia Germany would seem the most likely but ???

tha_jackal
24th December 2006, 01:46
Hey Ant fans....hopefully all will be revealed asap...so we can all get some sleep. I for one, am pleased Ant is not with Kiefer Bos next year. Having moved from Honda to Aprilia in 2006 they simply could not solve the problems with the bike all be it one that was irregular. They were used to recieving near perfect stuff from Honda and that aint the case with Aprilia, especially the kit stuff which is way down the pecking order.

The guys at Kiefer also could not understand the make up of Ant and why he would react the way he did on occasions. The team is from the old East Germany and are a funny bunch of blokes. Good fun, but also a bit different in their make up from us Aussies. You only need to look at when was the last German World Champ to see my point.

Ant can win on LE Aprilia stuff...you only need to look at what Locatelli was able to do on one in 2006. As to what team...yeah Aprilia Germany would seem the most likely but ???

Thanks for the enlightening post and telling us... SFA! :laugh: If its not Aprilia Germany then I doubt it'll be for anyone, there were no other teams listed on the provisional entry list.. Locatelli was on LE machinery with 'special' factory bits from Aprilia due to his services in the past, and his natoinality..

A standard LE bike will leave Ant hoping for top 5's at best i rekon.. Lets hope he gets an LE model, god knows he deserves something other than a standard kitter.. Oh and I too would like some sleep at night :p :

Peace..

Pantah Jack
24th December 2006, 06:43
Sorry for giving ya SFA.....I thought it was a chat room!
PS. a provisional list is just that...provisional, so we will see.

tha_jackal
25th December 2006, 13:33
Sorry for giving ya SFA.....I thought it was a chat room!
PS. a provisional list is just that...provisional, so we will see.

Sorry if I came across as a bit rude :( Was an attempt at a bit of sarcastic humour.. my bad :laugh:

True about the provisional list, although I just figured, one team, rider TBA, Ant really the only 250cc rider not sorted and actually very close to signing.. Aprilia team, that hes ridden for before as a wildcard... Hmmmmmm :p :

tha_jackal
6th January 2007, 03:31
Another update from Antness' website.. Looks like he wont be riding for Aprilia Germany after all.. Cant wait for the official announcement and cant wait for 2007!! Gooooooo Ant! Hehe...

"UPDATE 5th of January 2007:

There is no official announcement placed yet, but it seems like an italian team is having the 250cc Aprilia for Anthony and he will test it beginning february in Catalunya. More after the official announcement took place...!"

Peace..

tha_jackal
7th January 2007, 09:06
From motograndprix.de:- (fairly dodgy german-english translation)

"The sheet turned for Anthony west to the good one: Briefly before Christmas the Australian agreed with the Italian Matteoni Racing on the participation in the 250cc Championship. Its implement will be a Semi Works Aprilia. It was used in the past year by Roberto Locatelli.

The times of excuses from the man from down under are now past. The Italian force package with the much-saying contract; LE (Limited Edition) is capable of podium placements easily enough - with which Locatelli had some impressive rides in 2006."

And there ya go..

Pantah Jack
7th January 2007, 23:01
Mate your German translation seems spot on. They funny talk dont we they. There is also a thinly veiled sledge from the motograndprix.de site "the time for excuses etc etc". I note one of the "writers" for motograndprix.de is Armin Juppenplatz who is also the media guy for Kiefer Bos and was supposedly doing Ants media after Porter spat the dummy. Juppenplatz was also very keen to "sledge" Ant at Philip Island regarding his attitude. Seems Juppenplatz is rather two faced and another reason Ant is best away from the German connection. The Italians are another kettle of fish and well understand the emotional side of sport so maybe he is in the right spot again.
As for Locatellis bike from last year...who knows. It was supposed to be a "privateer" bike. What a joke!!!!

In Aussie we call LE bikes RECON bikes. ie; RECONDITIONED.

A few ponderings:

1. I for one am keen for an "Official Announcement"
2. Time will tell how well Ant's bike is reconditioned and what "special bits"
Ant will be afforded.
3. Wonder if LE or RECON bikes will be "allowed" to beat Full Factory bikes.
4. Hope Ant can keep his head clear thru it all.

Pantah Jack
11th January 2007, 09:53
Hey guys......check out motogp.com

YEEHAA !!!!!!!

tha_jackal
11th January 2007, 10:41
Damn u Pantah Jack! :D You beat me to it!!! :laugh:

from http://www.motogp.com:-

"The Angaia and Matteoni racing teams have announced a collaborative agreement for the 2007 season, which sees them joining forces to support each other's efforts in 125cc and 250cc respectively. The deal also allows Anthony West to ride a semi-official Aprilia and show what he can do in the quatre litre class.

Angaia racing's plans had previously involved Czech standout Jakub Smrz and Italian Luca Morelli in 250cc, but now they have shifted their focus to 125cc, putting last year's rider Lorenzo Zanetti on a development Aprilia kit bike.

Matteoni racing bring back Anthony West for a ride on the RSW LE, hoping to push him higher than his regular top ten finishes in 2006 on a kit bike. He will ride alongside young frenchman Jules Cluzel, who has a year's worth of experience under his belt in 250cc and will have a kit Aprilia at his disposal.

Paolo Tajana and Massimo Matteoni's teams will run as seperate outfits, although with close collaboration throughout the season."

Yay Westy! :D I wonder what that means for Smrz though? I rated him fairly highly and its a shame if he's left without a ride.. Anywho, did I say Yay Westy? :p

Pantah Jack
11th January 2007, 15:33
Ummm.....didn't know it was a race.

So long as the boy wins a race or three who gives a ????? :)

Go for it Antastic

patnicholls
11th January 2007, 20:28
Not fully certain what to make of this news.

On one hand, Locatelli did very well last year with an LE bike and in a small team, so it could work out.

However the flip side is Chaz Davies' story from last year - he was supposed to get an LE bike with Campetella (who I would rate a small step higher up the grid than Matteoni) as was his team-mate Taro Sekiguchi.

You can check out what happened to Chaz on these stories (they're in order):

http://www.crash.net/feature_view~cid~6~id~8581.htm
http://www.crash.net/feature_view~cid~6~id~8744.htm
http://www.crash.net/feature_view~cid~6~id~8799.htm
http://www.crash.net/feature_view~cid~6~id~8879.htm

And well, the rest follows:
http://www.crash.net/driver_columns~lstid~30~cid~6.htm

Whatever, he had an absolute team-related nightmare and it cost him his GP career.

On the plus side, it seems Dorna have had a little helping hand in making sure Westy's on the grid with this move, so hopefully he won't endure the same kind of shambles that Chaz and Taro had last season.

Pantah Jack
12th January 2007, 05:28
Yep it is an interesting (read corrupt) caper in many ways. Ant told me the same thing happened to him in 2004 with the Freesoul guys promising a better bike than what he had in 2003. You will remember 4 podiums and a race win that year. So he turns up for 2004 and not only is it not a better bike but is the same bike he road in 2003......Just one of many examples of "shafting" guys like Ant, Chaz, etc etc have to deal with.

Would be nice to think that one day steps will be put into place to have a level playing field......
sorry I was dreamin'

Anyway time will tell as to what Ant actually gets his bum on......

tha_jackal
12th January 2007, 06:09
If motogp.com are calling it semi-factory LE machinery, then its likely to be just that. I cant help but feel that Chaz's chances of a better ride were pumped up ALOT (in 2006) by the british media, i.e crash.net... I think Ant will relish the improved machinery in 2007 and only move onward and upwards.. Like you say, time will tell, but if he DOES happen to get screwed over somehow, dorna will have to deal with another season of Westy's complaints and slanderings, and honestly, i dont think they want that .. :laugh:

Peace..

patnicholls
12th January 2007, 21:18
Well every media outlet is subject to national bias, be it crash.net for Britain (which I certainly don't think is too bad), or mcn.au for the Aussies or Superbike Planet for the Yanks, etc.

With Campetella I think there were genuinely grounds for optimism for Chaz, Taro, and their 125cc riders last year. Campetella had been generally the top privateer team from 2002-4 and scored some podium finishes with Franco Battaini, Sylvain Guintoli and Randy de Puniet. Check the archive results, they did well, were top 6 in the championship with Battaini. They'd had a bit of a crap 2005 by comparison, but for 2006 had expanded to a four-rider outfit with a new 125cc team, and had a new main sponsor ('Ticino Hosting', who are an utterly lame Italian internet service provider, I wouldn't bother with them :) ) so their declaration that they'd have two LE bikes in the 250s seemed reasonable when they first said it as they've had the top private bikes before very recently. It wasn't just Brit bias, there were high hopes for the whole squad.

But as it turned out the year was a disaster. It became obvious from the first test that a second LE bike wasn't coming so Chaz was back to the bog-standard one like what he'd had with Aprilia Germany (although of course the competition had moved on slightly). Then Taro badly broke his leg at Jerez [exactly a year after he did in 2005 - what terrible luck] and Chaz got the LE bike. After a few races with poor results all round (Andrea Ballerini replaced Taro) Chaz was dropped after being taken out by Cluzel at Le Mans and Ticino Hosting disappeared off all the bikes as they'd not come up with the money they'd promised. Andrea Iannone, who'd been going pretty well on the 125 machine to my eyes, was also dropped and his non-scoring but financially-backed teammate stayed. Franco Battaini returned for financial reasons [Italian riders being preferable] after a shocking time in World Superbikes (does anyone remember he was there?) but didn't do anything, and neither did Taro when he returned from injury. Ballerini was the constant and was consistent with his results but not quick, and he's won a (wet) GP.

There are of course similar stories up and down the pitlane in every class every year. Something doesn't go right and it messes things up for a bunch of people. I've always liked Campetella as a squad, particularly when they had those lurid-coloured bikes (pink, yellow and black...yes!!!). They honestly had good intentions for Chaz, Taro, Andrea Iannone and Simone Grotzkyj. But we all know racing involves risks and when the sponsor you've risked things on doesn't pay, you're up the creek as you've got to pay for things like LE bikes. I hope things work out better for Taro, Fabrizio Lai and Pol Espargaro (he's good) in 2007 with them in terms of the money and results.

-----------------------------

Anyway...

Was just sounding out a note of caution for Westy fans, basically. If you're expecting this move to magically put him at the front every race, you'll probably be disappointed.

Matteoni are these days a private squad - last year they ran Baldolini (who's swapped seats with Westy for 2007; he finished 16th in 2006 with a best finish of 8th), Alessio Palumbo (who didn't qualify for several events) and Roberto Tamburini in 125s (who did just about nothing). In 2005 Mirko Giansanti - who like Alex de Angelis is one of the best guys never to win a 125 race - was midfield on them.

I love to see the private guys beat the factory ones and Loca's showing on the Toth LE bike was a breath of fresh air, but it's not guaranteed to be success for Westy by any means. That said, if he does well, it would be massive boost for both rider and team, and might shut you lot up about Westy and injustice :D

tha_jackal
13th January 2007, 02:46
Have to agree with everything youve said Pat!

Ant (like Chaz) has had his fair share of misfortune when it comes to rides not coming through etc. (Ant rode Chaz's 05 bike in 06!!)

Anyway, we can only wait and see and Im sure if the machinery is equivelant to Loca's of 2006 then Ant's results will improve, undoubtably..

Like you say, it just all depends on the bike coming through, along with sponsorship. He'll be testing at Catalunya early Feb and we'll all find out what bike he'll be riding and the times he'll be setting then and there :)

tha_jackal
17th January 2007, 10:51
Interview on motogp.com (http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=18658&championship_id=2&section=1) with Westy, good read, check it out..

mx311
19th January 2007, 05:19
I'll just say good luck Ant for 2007. Hopefully he can put together a strong year.

I haven't been able to find out if Ant's LE bike is the same as what Loca had last year or if it's the same as what Smrz had. I think it's the same as Smrz's (Loca's had some added bits for the factory) but now I work for the opposition I can't get exact answers from Aprilia sources. :p :

I also hope the rumours about potential team troubles are unfounded. :\

tha_jackal
19th January 2007, 07:10
I'll just say good luck Ant for 2007. Hopefully he can put together a strong year.

I haven't been able to find out if Ant's LE bike is the same as what Loca had last year or if it's the same as what Smrz had. I think it's the same as Smrz's (Loca's had some added bits for the factory) but now I work for the opposition I can't get exact answers from Aprilia sources. :p :

I also hope the rumours about potential team troubles are unfounded. :\

Im pretty certain its Locatellis, and motogp.com are calling it 'near factory' machinery, which sorta suggests that it may have some factory goodies added..

Oh and it's ok, most rumours youve come up with in the past have failed to come to fruition :laugh:

p.s you know im just messin ;) I hope those 'rumours' are unfounded aswell..

tha_jackal
19th January 2007, 07:48
Also Matt, do you know if Matteoni Racing have an official website??

NinjaMaster
20th January 2007, 04:41
Interview on motogp.com (http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=18658&championship_id=2&section=1) with Westy, good read, check it out..
Judging by the exclamation marks, he must've shouted a lot at the reporter. :)

Pantah Jack
23rd January 2007, 12:56
Aah ya gotta luv a bloke with a sense of humour !!!!!!!!!!!

Check out Ants site...the boy has been busy with his art over the break. Most probably already know but he does all his own art work re; logos etc. I believe some good stuff coming from Shark helmets soon.....and a re work of the website.

tha_jackal
24th January 2007, 01:27
Check out Ants site...the boy has been busy with his art over the break. Most probably already know but he does all his own art work re; logos etc. I believe some good stuff coming from Shark helmets soon.....and a re work of the website.

Hehe, rolling the dice, I like the modified design, cant wait for the new 2007 edition.. Would be awesome if Ant had something other than a black helmet for 2007 :laugh: Have to wait and see how the new bike is turned out first IMO.. Still working on that newsletter Jack?

Hopefully there'll be an 'official, official' :p : team presentation when Ant heads back to Europe on the 31st..

Peace..

Pantah Jack
25th January 2007, 00:29
Newsletter is a lil slow. Still trying to touch base with Ant. Communication not a strong point with Ant. His Dad told me he was in Byron Bay at last contact. Probably getting in one last surf!

That black helmet was easy to pick out when he was mid field tho. One only hopes mid field will be a thing of the past. The fact that Aprilia were holding a bike for Ant from late in season 2006 suggests it will be a thing of the past, however for those who have followed Ant's career for a while know better than to count the chickens........

Pantah Jack
25th January 2007, 00:40
Oh by the way Jackal...have you thought of editing your threads to display newest reply first ?

tha_jackal
25th January 2007, 02:00
Oh by the way Jackal...have you thought of editing your threads to display newest reply first ?

Wha? :confused:

Ari
29th January 2007, 03:38
Good luck to Ant in 2007. Didnt think he would end up getting a ride worked out, but seems to have done quite well in the end.

Doesnt hurt any by having an overly wealthy father.

Pantah Jack
29th January 2007, 20:05
Hey Ari,

whilst it is fair to say Ant has been helped in the past by his Dad....his funding sure aint coming from his Dad any longer and hasn't been for a while now....

tha_jackal
31st January 2007, 04:24
Anyone know of Matteoni Racings official website??

tha_jackal
31st January 2007, 06:38

Ill say it again... Whaaa?? :confused:

fatman
31st January 2007, 14:33
Ill say it again... Whaaa?? :confused:

I think he's just talking about some of the new features of the new forums. If you click on User CP and then look over the options you can set the option of having threads display newest posts first.

tha_jackal
1st February 2007, 08:31
Check out Ants site...the boy has been busy with his art over the break. Most probably already know but he does all his own art work re; logos etc. I believe some good stuff coming from Shark helmets soon....

http://www.extremesupply.com/images/shark/sharkhelmets/2007/rsi_replica/xl/rsi_replica_westrider.jpg

Could this be Ants helmet for 2007? On his myspace theres a design that looks very similar.. (in his pics) And it is a replica_westrider ;)

I like it.. Even if it isnt Ants..

Pantah Jack
9th February 2007, 14:43
Check Ant's site antwest14.com

No test on the 7th as planned. Pissin' him around again.......hopefully Ant continues to stay positive

tha_jackal
10th February 2007, 04:09

No test on the 7th as planned. Pissin' him around again.......hopefully Ant continues to stay positive

Not good at all is it... Hope he tests on monday @ Valencia.. :(

NinjaMaster
12th February 2007, 07:11

Hmmm, feels a bit like deja vu doesn't it? Hope his team can get it's ass into gear.

patnicholls
12th February 2007, 23:33
Strange... www.motogp.com (http://www.motogp.com) does quote him as saying he was missing for 'silly reasons'.

His two team-mates for this year (Jules Cluzel in 250cc and Lorenzo Zanetti in 125cc) were out testing, however...odd.

tha_jackal
13th February 2007, 02:07
Cluzel and Zanetti appear under the 'Angaia Racing' banner on motogp.com.. Ant is supposedly racing for Matteoni Racing or Team Sicilia (who knows what theyre called, if there's even a team! :confused: )..

Maybe the team is having monetary issues as far as purchasing the 'near factory' bike goes (pure speculation)..

However, motogp.com's report is sort of contradictory, it claims his 2007 is 'in doubt' just from missing one test due to a 'silly reason' .. They obviously know something we dont.. I just have my fingers crossed that the team get their act together, as Ninja has pointed out.. Its all too familiar :( ..

Lanky_Wes
14th February 2007, 01:10
what are the odds that every 250 race will be a wet one? hehe. surely westy would be a shoe in for the championship if that were the case!

on a serious note, i do hope wests team come up with the goods this year. he has shown how much talent he has racing on crap bikes. hopefully his bike this year is competitive and he can take advantage of it. be great to see him fighting for the championship. im sure we all know that he is capable of it.

tha_jackal
14th February 2007, 02:00
what are the odds that every 250 race will be a wet one? hehe. surely westy would be a shoe in for the championship if that were the case!

on a serious note, i do hope wests team come up with the goods this year. he has shown how much talent he has racing on crap bikes. hopefully his bike this year is competitive and he can take advantage of it. be great to see him fighting for the championship. im sure we all know that he is capable of it.

Ant wont need wet races if he has the right machinery ;)

Rumour has it that Ant's new teams bike arrived late (hence forcing Ant to miss the first few tests) :eek: and Ant will begin testing next week on the 20th at Jerez i believe, so no need to panic.. yet.. :p

Lanky_Wes
14th February 2007, 02:54
Ant wont need wet races if he has the right machinery ;)

Rumour has it that Ant's new teams bike arrived late (hence forcing Ant to miss the first few tests) :eek: and Ant will begin testing next week on the 20th at Jerez i believe, so no need to panic.. yet.. :p

yeah i know i was just kidding. hopefully westys bike is a competitive one and we dont just hear one excuse after another from his team. if he has a good package he will really give the other riders a run for their money.

tha_jackal
15th February 2007, 00:06
from ant's website:-

NEWS

!!!!!!!!!!good news!!!!!!!!!!!!
i will be testing in spain (jerez) next week.. i am looking forward to this test because i will get to meet my new team for the 1st time and ride my new aprilia for the 1st time too! i will be taking this test easy to get to know the team and the bike.. also its good for them to get to know me aswell!
so look out every one im ready to ride!!

SEE YA

ANTWEST"

phew..

Lanky_Wes
16th February 2007, 02:36
hey hey, that is good news. knock em dead westy!

tha_jackal
28th February 2007, 01:00
The West man has a new look website!

http://www.antwest14.com (check it out)

He also has new leathers and helmet providers (Spyke and Airoh).. There's pics of his new bike and team on the 'done up' site. Cant wait to see how he goes this week at the Qatar test..

Peace..

maxu05
28th February 2007, 07:17
I don't think the site is finished yet. I checked it out but it is very limited at the moment. Once racing gets under way, I am sure he will have everything in order. Go Westy :up:

tha_jackal
24th March 2007, 02:40
Last year at Jerez Ant qualifed 6th on that POS five year old Aprilia (or whatever it was.) This year, on supposedly 'relatively new and near factory machinery' he cant even penetrate the top 15 :confused: Am I missing something? Is it the new team? The increase in factory riders leaving him behind? The influx of talent? Someone help me out here, this is frustrating.. Hope he can improve today..

Pantah Jack
31st March 2007, 13:42
Hey guys, Nup you aint missing anything. Dont forget all the other teams have had a heap of testing time whereas Ant has had 2 tenths of f*#( all. Check out his web for more detail. Guest book is up again and they are developing a forum site as we speak. Still only in German tho. Patience is the essence tho as his web manager works for 2 tenths of etc etc. She also is in PR with DORNA so time is limited.

You may have noticed at Jerez that Ant was closing on the second group mid race and almost got onto the back of them before tyres and set up issues saw him drift out. His qual times were not much better than last years team mate but check out the race times ???

Ant had some really postive comments to Bracksy in the pits after the race so stay tuned.

Pantah Jack
23rd April 2007, 10:22
Well what a weekend. Ant was pretty quick on a greasy free practice 1 in Turkey. A few issues in Qual 1 and Free 2 and finally qualified in 12th. A really good warm up on Sunday saw Ant 8th fastest. As for the race...up to 9th and then....BUGGER !!!!

I guess the bottom line is things are coming together.

tha_jackal
23rd April 2007, 12:20
Yer i noticed that, devastated.. :( Ant just seems to get stuck in between the factories and the rest, quickest privateer but not quite as fast as the factory boys :mad:

just has to start bridging the gap to the really fast guys! Riding consistant laps and having his bike TUNED properly would help.. That way he wouldnt have to push to hard in the races..

tha_jackal
10th May 2007, 15:04
from crash.net:

"Broc Parkes will be partnered this weekend by 250GP rider Anthony West in the Yamaha World Supersport Racing Team, while another Australian, Kevin Curtain, continues his recuperation from injuries sustained at Valencia."

Interesting, Ant just deciding to get some riding in-between rounds to keep himself sharp? Or something more? :confused: Anyway, be good to see how he goes on a competetive ride..

Wish him well and touch wood everything goes smoothly, that teams riders have had a rough run of late..

NinjaMaster
10th May 2007, 15:55
He's had a wildcard ride in WSS before, hopefully this will be the one to convince him to move there full time.

tha_jackal
11th May 2007, 00:50
A bit more from the Ant Man about Monza:-

"I'm excited to be riding in Kevin's place this weekend though I wish him well. It will be good to ride a different bike in a different championship and at a track that I have never been to before. My GP season hasn't been great so far so this will be a good chance for me to have a really good race," he says. "Though I have ridden four-stroke bikes before, it's quite a while since I slung my leg over one. I would like to finish in the top five this weekend."

Be good to see how he goes on a factory machine, although learning the track and adjusting to the bike will be a big ask IMO.. Ah well, best of luck none the less :)

T-D
11th May 2007, 21:25
this really makes it worthwhile to watch the wss races (although i always do.) hope he does well.

NinjaMaster
12th May 2007, 01:45
Ant is 8th after first qualifying. I have every confidence that he will finish with a strong top 5 result this weekend. His last effort in WSS at Brands in 2004 was very impressive. Worked his way up to 6th before a red flag halted proceedings. On the restart he dropped back and finished around 8th I think. The Yamaha is a good competitive bike and now that this is his second opportunity with the same team (how much do they like Aussies!) I could see him riding for them next year.

tha_jackal
12th May 2007, 08:16
Ant is 8th after first qualifying. I have every confidence that he will finish with a strong top 5 result this weekend. His last effort in WSS at Brands in 2004 was very impressive. Worked his way up to 6th before a red flag halted proceedings. On the restart he dropped back and finished around 8th I think. The Yamaha is a good competitive bike and now that this is his second opportunity with the same team (how much do they like Aussies!) I could see him riding for them next year.

Its a posibilty, as much as i want to see him in GP's, hes just going round in circles in the 250s at the moment. Hes been duped again with another empty promise from Aprilia this year :mad: ... Maybe he could get a good relationship with Yamaha going this way and earn back the respect he deserves.. His provisional 8th is made even more impressive by the fact its his first time at monza and his first time on the YZF-R6 ;) Gooo Westy!

tha_jackal
12th May 2007, 08:22
Some more from Ant:-

Anthony West (8th - 1'51.867 - Yamaha World Supersport Team)

"Having been riding a 250 two-stroke the bike felt really strange for the first few laps and I thought it was going to take longer to get used to it than it has. The R6 feels a lot easier to ride than the last time I rode a 600cc bike in 2004 (Honda.) It just shows how much these bikes have developed. The biggest things for me to get used are the weight and way it moves when cornering compared to a two-stroke. It is a lot more physical but I am finding my style pretty quickly. I am very happy with eighth considering it is a strange track and bike to me. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as I know I have more to give."

Positive and optimistic! Thats what we wanna hear!

NinjaMaster
12th May 2007, 13:55
West struggled a lot more today qualifying 14th. That will make it hard for him though he is a better racer than qualifier.

tha_jackal
13th May 2007, 01:54
Yer just couldnt up the pace with the really experienced fast supersport guys (who know the bike and the track).. I think his race pace will be pretty strong though, and yes hes always been a poor qualifier.. Still be interesting to see how fares..

Anthony West, who is standing in this weekend for the injured Kevin Curtain, had only his second day on the YZF-R6 and spent the morning session continuing to familiarise himself the bike's handling and weight characteristics. As the pace quickened throughout the day the 250 GP star found himself hampered by his non-standard leathers and was unable to improve upon his time from yesterday, eventually qualifying in 14th place.

Anthony West (14th - 1'51.867 - Yamaha World Supersport Team) "I have learnt a lot more about the bike today and I have a much better understanding of what needs to be done to set it up for me. We are very short on time though. The biggest things for me to get used to have been the weight of the bike and the way it handles when flicking from corner to corner. I'm not happy with fourteenth by any means. I want to be in the top five tomorrow and I need to get a good start tomorrow to have any chance of achieving that."

tha_jackal
13th May 2007, 13:37
I think Ant's race this w.e @ Monza says ALOT about his talent and riding ability.. To be able to adapt to a COMPLETELY foreign bike, track and set of opponents and claim a podium is a phenomenal effort and surely shuts alot of his doubters up.. I think it shows what hes capable of given the right machinery... Hats off to the man, lets hope he can progress in his 250 season from here on in.. :up:

kiwigav
21st May 2007, 07:52
Jeez, Westy is an ungrateful git, isnt he? Not sure if you caught his comments after the race at LeMans, but why would anyone want to invest more into that team, what a tosser.....

tha_jackal
21st May 2007, 08:43
Jeez, Westy is an ungrateful git, isnt he? Not sure if you caught his comments after the race at LeMans, but why would anyone want to invest more into that team, what a tosser.....

Your kidding yourself,

Ant has been abused and used by every manufacturer hes ever worked for. He rode the wheels of a POS bike in 2003 and scored several dry podiums, a race win and finished fifth or sixth in the championship, what do Aprilia give him in 04? The same POS bike after 'promising' a factory ride.

Ant risks his life for another year in 04 (check out his crash at P.I that year) to finally get his 'big break' in 05, my ARSE! KTM waste his year then pull the bike out of the season early and give West the arse.. He goes back to square one in 06, rides his arse off as the best privateer AGAIN then gets 'promised' a 'near factory' ride for 07, look what he's stuck with..

While i dont condone his interview at all, i do understand where his frustration comes from.. I think hes experienced what a high quality and professional factory WSS team is like aand has realised how badly hes been getting screwed over the last few years. He just needs to get out of the GP paddock at the end of this year and give WSS/WSBK a go and get his attitude back in order by running at the front where he belongs.

kiwigav
21st May 2007, 11:28
LOL, yeah, I know his history. When you think he's actually raced 500's too, as well as that Shell Advance 250 he was on.
Sure it must be hard for him, but somehow comments more like "I'm grateful for the engine parts that have come my way, and the chance to use a better tyre. Hopefully we can get a few more parts from the factory and some more of the good tyres and try and improve, etc etc"

Not "Jeez, I've had a enough of this, if I don't get a factory bike I'm not going to stay here," and moaning about his mechanics like he did.

fatman
21st May 2007, 14:54
Ant might have talent, but so do a lot of other riders. Ants problem is that he is not a team player. He rides for himself and himself only. He is digging his own grave by being a hot head. He only needs to look at Max Biaggi as an example. With so many young guns to pick from why would a team want someone who clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word teamwork.

You need to stick with your team and at least present a unified front even if behind the scenes you're working on trying to get a new ride.

fatman
21st May 2007, 18:14
The first page of Mike Nicks' column at crash.net examples why Ants' attitude isn't the marking of a champion.

see: http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~6~id~148319.htm

When people on your team make bad decisions which make winning or even scoring decent points impossible the last thing you do is trash your team. You admit defeat and rally to keep fighting.

tha_jackal
22nd May 2007, 02:07
Hes talking about Rossi's attitude, Rossi, whose never had bad maninery or a bad mechanic in his life! Put Rossi on the bikes Ant's had over the years and see how his attitude changes!

If Ant was Spanish or Italian he would of had a factory ride his entire career because of his riding ability, im sure theres plenty of European riders that have a worse attitude than Ant's but still get the right stuff because of their marketability aka nationality.

Also, alot of other riders arent interviewed straight after the race, from another forum:-

"If he had have had time to gather his thoughts after the race he might have phrased it better, but after watching him race his arse off to stay ahead of factory riders hats of to him. Rossi has always had the best machines and mechanics (thanks to dad) since day one,and he's been a winner so why would he whinge. After the WSS race Westy was happy as,because he had the good stuff . Frustration brings out the worst in everyone if he was Italian or Spanish he would get what he wants because he can ride,look how pissed off they get but they still get rides because sponsors love to see their logo on TV wheather the rider is an arsehole or not."

Surely people can understand his frustration?

ShiftingGears
22nd May 2007, 07:38
If if if if!!! Fact is that as we've seen, Rossi is a better team player and that is a definite trait of World Champions. Noones going to be interested in offering you a ride if you blame your team, likewise if you prove that you aren't level headed then thats also a winning trait that you don't have.

kiwigav
22nd May 2007, 10:53
I'm sure every one can sense his frustration, but how frustrated do you think Pasini, the 125 bloke is feeling? You see his reaction when he walked into the garage? Those guys are going to bend over backwards to help that guy. Westy, I'm sorry is giving Aussie riders a bad name. You never heard Gardner, Magee, Doohan, Beattie, Corser, Bayliss etc carrying on like that. Even Mat Mladin isnt a fan favourite in the States, but he tells it like it is. Don't forget I'm sure there a plenty of riders in that 250 class who are on worse machinary than West has got this year. Whats the state of the bike that young Thai rider Wilarott is on? He looks to be going OK?

NinjaMaster
22nd May 2007, 12:14
None of the other riders mentioned have had to try for the past 8 years (or therabouts) to get a competitive ride without success so comparing them and Ant's situation isn't entirely fair. I can understand West's frustration and believe he has made some poor career choices but he has also been led up the garden path on a few ride offers that weren't what was promised. His main problem is a complete lack of tact. I didn't have a problem with his statement about leaving 250 next year if he couldn't get a factory bike. My problem was his public criticism of his team. That will get him nowhere. Had he complained about his situation on behalf of himself and his team then things would be different but too often he comes across as selfish. As Jake said, perhaps he is best to wait til a little later before allowing himself to be interviewed if he isn't feeling particularly happy so he can be a little more diplomatic.

tha_jackal
22nd May 2007, 14:36
None of the other riders mentioned have had to try for the past 8 years (or therabouts) to get a competitive ride without success so comparing them and Ant's situation isn't entirely fair. I can understand West's frustration and believe he has made some poor career choices but he has also been led up the garden path on a few ride offers that weren't what was promised. His main problem is a complete lack of tact. I didn't have a problem with his statement about leaving 250 next year if he couldn't get a factory bike. My problem was his public criticism of his team. That will get him nowhere. Had he complained about his situation on behalf of himself and his team then things would be different but too often he comes across as selfish. As Jake said, perhaps he is best to wait til a little later before allowing himself to be interviewed if he isn't feeling particularly happy so he can be a little more diplomatic.

Spot on ;) If West had a ride like Pasini's in the 250s then he'd be happy as larry.. Hes just NEVER gotten one, even though he's more than deserved it.. He got away with an outburst last year, i just hope he gets away with it again.. He has to much talent to go to waste..

edit: I also get the feeling a WSS ride for 08 may be pretty well settled for Ant, hence the outburst..

maxu05
23rd May 2007, 17:09
Being an Aussie (living in China at the moment), I have always barracked for Ant West, but, after the coments he made I have lost a lot of respect for the guy to be honest. I can accept his comments about getting a factory ride, as I believe he has shown so much talent and determination on the track. The comment he made about needing better machanics, could have only brought morale in the team to a low. Now, his comment to the media is all we heard. If he said that on the air, what does he say within the team that we don't get to hear ? I think I am starting to understand why he doesn't have a factory ride. I think Anthony should take a leaf out of Pasini's book, as that was the a great moment in motorcycle racing history IMO, when he hugged his mechanic in the pit garage after what must have been the most frustrating situation, 4 pole positions and only a 10th place to show for it. How unlucky could the guy be ? I think Westy should go to WSS, but, I think he should not expect to get everything he wants NOW. By the way, I didn't hear too much whining from KRJr at Suzuki for all those years riding that total dog box, he just got on with it and kept on trying. Shinya Nakano at Kawasaki didn't whine about the bike, and I bet he won't whine about his current ride on the Minolta Honda ride, he will just keep on giving his best I'm sure. A great champ is not just the fastest rider, he must be a diplomat, a salesman and a good communicator. Sponsors want a rider that goes fast, can promote a good image for their product, and not attract unwanted publicity. If Ant West was on TV promoting a product after those comments he made after the race, I am sure that quite a lot of people would not buy the product, just for the fact that they think Ant West is a total prat. So, Westy, don't go down the Max Biaggi Highway, get it together and show some diplomacy, and look after your mechanics and team, then they will look after you.

fatman
23rd May 2007, 18:05
Well said John. While it's great to see Ant ride when things are working for him. I don't think he deserves the fanatical support he gets from his fans. He just keeps coming off more and more as a selfish prat. I want to give him the benefit of doubt, but there are soo many other riders just as skilled and just as deserving of better rides.

NinjaMaster
24th May 2007, 11:37
Being an Aussie (living in China at the moment), I have always barracked for Ant West, but, after the coments he made I have lost a lot of respect for the guy to be honest. I can accept his comments about getting a factory ride, as I believe he has shown so much talent and determination on the track. The comment he made about needing better machanics, could have only brought morale in the team to a low. Now, his comment to the media is all we heard. If he said that on the air, what does he say within the team that we don't get to hear ? I think I am starting to understand why he doesn't have a factory ride. I think Anthony should take a leaf out of Pasini's book, as that was the a great moment in motorcycle racing history IMO, when he hugged his mechanic in the pit garage after what must have been the most frustrating situation, 4 pole positions and only a 10th place to show for it. How unlucky could the guy be ? I think Westy should go to WSS, but, I think he should not expect to get everything he wants NOW. By the way, I didn't hear too much whining from KRJr at Suzuki for all those years riding that total dog box, he just got on with it and kept on trying. Shinya Nakano at Kawasaki didn't whine about the bike, and I bet he won't whine about his current ride on the Minolta Honda ride, he will just keep on giving his best I'm sure. A great champ is not just the fastest rider, he must be a diplomat, a salesman and a good communicator. Sponsors want a rider that goes fast, can promote a good image for their product, and not attract unwanted publicity. If Ant West was on TV promoting a product after those comments he made after the race, I am sure that quite a lot of people would not buy the product, just for the fact that they think Ant West is a total prat. So, Westy, don't go down the Max Biaggi Highway, get it together and show some diplomacy, and look after your mechanics and team, then they will look after you.
Thats a very good post John and I agree with a lot of it. I also struggle to keep my level of enthusiam up for Ant after comments like that but then, given that Anthony Gobert is still my favourite rider, I guess I have a lot of patience!
Just a couple of things though, on what he said about the mechanics in public, I couldn't care if they had a fist fight within the team, so long as it remained within the team and they all knew where they stood. At least the mechanics have a comeback at him in that situation.
As for KRJr not grizzling, I think you have a short memory. He whinged plenty and if I remember rightly, he pulled out of races because of a lack of competitiveness. Shinya had a factory bike and is currently on good machinery, capable of better than he is taking it. And I'm sure neither of them have ridden for teams without getting paid.
And finally on the champion part, Carl Fogarty doesn't fit those criteria you mention yet I would class him as a great superbike champion. He's just not a very well liked one! :D

tha_jackal
27th May 2007, 15:19
Winner! :D Gooo Ant, stick it up em! ;)

maxu05
27th May 2007, 16:42
That's better Ant. Keep it up, and secure a WSS/WSBK ride for next year. Just remember to be diplomatic, and you will be a champ for sure.

Corny
27th May 2007, 18:14
when I was watching the race I made a plan for the Kawasaki MotoGP team..

pick up West, and you'll win a race when wet!

tha_jackal
28th May 2007, 02:24
when I was watching the race I made a plan for the Kawasaki MotoGP team..

pick up West, and you'll win a race when wet!

He did come third in the dry two weeks before remember? He's a talented rider no matter what the conditions, so long as he has the machinery. He'll be in WSS next year, then maybe WSBK and hopefully try and make another go for MotoGP after that, its a sideways step but its one that needs to be made methinks.

The Phantom
28th May 2007, 03:06
Great ride by West at Silverstone. Aussies are all over the podiums in MotoGP, WSB and WSS!

He's a very poor post-race interview though, and that definitely has some impact with potential sponsors.

T-D
28th May 2007, 05:28
westy is the man. it will be good for his psyche to leave the ltrapolitical motogp arena and head to wss. i think he will be a champion in that series and also in wsbk (if he gets the right machine--which is less complex in wsbk than motogp).

maxu05
28th May 2007, 09:30
Going to WSBK sure did a lot for Max, but he had a year off to cool down and think about things. I hope Ant does get over to WSS/WSBK, as I think it will kick start his career. If you get the gig Ant, keep your head down, work hard, and don't get all stroppy when things don't go your way and you will be fine.

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 09:50
It would be great to see Ant get in with a manufacturer, Yamaha for example, and have a crack at WSS which I have no doubt he could win. Then hopefully get the opportunity to step up to WSB with the same marque and if successful there, hopefully have the opportunity to step into MotoGP through the back door.
His certainly isn't the most charismatic rider on the planet but a lot of that is because he has a droney voice (not his fault). As for that affecting his sponsorship potential, his nationality plays more part in that in my opinion (Dani Pedrosa is hardly a riveting interview but I don't see him struggling for sponsorship) and a lack of results as well, which is a viscious cycle - no money = poor equipment, poor equipment = poor results, poor results = no sponsorship, etc. If he becomes a frequent winner, the sponsors will follow.

Corny
28th May 2007, 11:00
He did come third in the dry two weeks before remember? He's a talented rider no matter what the conditions, so long as he has the machinery. He'll be in WSS next year, then maybe WSBK and hopefully try and make another go for MotoGP after that, its a sideways step but its one that needs to be made methinks.

Sure he's a talented driver, but I think that guy can win a race in MotoGP when it rains.. That's exactly what Kawasaki needs, they haven't got the bike to win on a dry track..

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 11:07
That's exactly what Kawasaki needs, they haven't got the bike to win on a dry track..

I think they do, just not riders good enough to do it. Put a top, fast rider on the ZX-RR and it would be very competitive I reckon.

Corny
28th May 2007, 11:35
I think they do, just not riders good enough to do it. Put a top, fast rider on the ZX-RR and it would be very competitive I reckon.

But do you see them beating a Casey Stoner or Valentino Rossi, on a dry track?

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 11:50
But do you see them beating a Casey Stoner or Valentino Rossi, on a dry track?
It's hard to say because the current guys are so far from being able to do it but the bike is clearly very fast in a straight line and appears to handle very well. Perhaps with a Melandri or Hopkins it is possible? It would certainly finish better than it currently does.

kiwigav
29th May 2007, 11:32
Wonder how Max Biaggi would be doing on the Kawasaki if he had got the ride, rather than Jacque?
As for Ant West, he has always been a great rain rider, but as for implying that winning the WSS world title will springboard his career, are you kidding? Apart from Chris Vermeulen, how has any previous winner done? Andrew Pitt? Karl Muggeridge? Fabian Foret, Pere Riba, even Seb Charpentier, not many have set the world on fire, have they? Other winners are Paulo Casoli, Fabrizio Pirovano, Stephene Chambon and Jorge Teuchert.

NinjaMaster
30th May 2007, 03:31
No doubt Max would be faster than Jacque on the Kwak but his days as a MotoGP title contender are over in my opinion.

I'm not kidding about a WSS title springboarding Wests career. If a title led to a top superbike ride like Vermeulen and Muggeridge got I can see him being very competitive. A lot of the blokes you mentioned also made poor choices on follow-up rides after their title. Pitt went to the uncompetitive Kwak MotoGP project, Riba tried 500GP with D'Antin, Foret rode an uncompetitive Kwak Supersport, etc. The other thing West has over them is age. They won their titles (I don't think Riba actually won a title did he?) at around 30 years of age, West is currently only 25. And I rate him more highly than most of those blokes. I guess time will tell if I'm right or not.

Mach24
30th May 2007, 04:46
I'm not kidding about a WSS title springboarding Wests career.

I agree with you Ninj, I think Ant has wasted the early part of his career with 250's. Sure had he found and been successful with the 'right' team/manufacturer this conversation would not be taking place.

Ant has been holding out for the 'right' team for years now. Cut your losses son and get outta there!

Even a competitive season in Supersport (assuming Foggy does not pick him up at MV) would set him on an upward path (Aprilia 2009).

30th May 2007, 06:35
i think a wss title would definately get wests career moving.surely teams are already looking.i would like to see ant ride the yamaha for the rest of the year even if it means leaving 250gp(that ride is going nowhere and really is harming his career and profile due to the frustation he openly vents).he is already in a better points position than the other riders in the team and going on what he has shown will keep moving up .a good year on that bike maybe straight to a top superbike next year and then who knows.i would like to see him in motogp and he already has that 250 experience they want but i believe that door has closed(on anything competetive).what he should do is move to the wsbk paddock and take the best team/bike package that is avaliable to him wether that be wss or wsbk and with his talent,determination and belief in himself he will be a star i dont think anyone could argue against that.
(a foggy mv or aprilia is not a good option)

Mach24
30th May 2007, 08:09
(a foggy mv or aprilia is not a good option)

Who knows Rolfo and Lanzi may well be out of a ride next year, perhaps Ant might have an option or two?

Ant and Troy B at Ducati with one year left on Troy's contract, now that sounds tasty.

I think the Aprilia option would be strong, but a year too late for Ant?

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 08:34
I think you all (minus kiwigav) make legitimate and positive points. For 2008 Ant will have a few WSS/WSBK options IMO, good performances in either of these classes could be just what he needs to show the big manufacturers he's made of the right stuff to compete in MotoGP. Even if it takes until hes 27 - 28. I HIGHLY doubt that Ant will go back into an association with Aprilia after he leaves them in 2008, they have been nothing but disrespectful and damaging to his career by never acknowledging and nurturing his true potential (not going to go into detail.)

I also doubt Ant will really want to develop a bike again, so MV may not be his wisest choice. I think he just needs to get on an established bike, with an established team and run at the front from there. Weather thats with Ten Kate SS, Yamaha Germany SS or even Ten Kate WSBK. (Toseland to GP, Rolfo is kinda average.) Ant will have to knuckle down next year and make some career changing decisions, i hope he makes the right one. I also think that Ant will continue to ride for Yamaha WSS this year (as so far i cant see to many clashes with GP's, he'll be a busy boy) and Spyke have made up a pair of factory yamaha leathers for him.

Goooo Ant!

NinjaMaster
31st May 2007, 10:40
To be perfectly honest, I would rather Ant carry out his obligation and finish with his 250 team (unless it's their decision to cut him loose). Let Kev Curtain (hopefully he can get healthy) finish his international career with Yamaha like he deserves, no-one is going to beat Kenan to the title anyway. Kawasaki WSS would be another good destination for Ant in 08.

tha_jackal
31st May 2007, 11:22
To be perfectly honest, I would rather Ant carry out his obligation and finish with his 250 team (unless it's their decision to cut him loose). Let Kev Curtain (hopefully he can get healthy) finish his international career with Yamaha like he deserves, no-one is going to beat Kenan to the title anyway. Kawasaki WSS would be another good destination for Ant in 08.

I read a quote from Kev last w.e that said his 07 was pretty much done and dusted for him :confused: so i dont think he'll be back this year. Ant said hes happy racing every weekend, so maybe he'll continue to juggle both rides with Steve Martin getting the WSS ride on the clashing weekends? Im also pretty sure Kev has plans to race again in 08 ;)

NinjaMaster
31st May 2007, 11:35
I am happy for Ant to race both series, just wouldn't want him to abandon his 250 team beacuse it's less competitive. Would be good to see Marto have a few races on competitive machinery too.

Mach24
31st May 2007, 11:52
Im also pretty sure Kev has plans to race again in 08 ;)

Wonder if he will source a competative ride?

Mach24
31st May 2007, 11:52
I am happy for Ant to race both series, just wouldn't want him to abandon his 250 team beacuse it's less competitive. Would be good to see Marto have a few races on competitive machinery too.

Pitty?

kiwigav
31st May 2007, 12:57
Yeah, you beat me to it, Andrew Pitt. You think Ten Kate are going to pick Ant West over Andrew Pitt? Can't see it my self. A lot of teams now are running guys in the Superstock class and are looking at introducing these guys into their teams.
How about AMA? I'm sure he could find a lot more new stuff to moan about over there?

"I think you all (minus kiwigav) make legitimate and positive points."

So mine are legitimate negative points, then? :)

NinjaMaster
31st May 2007, 13:11
To walk into WSS and podium in his first 2 races, I think West is a very good chance of a good WSS ride. Pitt would be in box seat for Ten Kate WSS but I would reckon more likely WSB.

tha_jackal
8th June 2007, 10:55
A Dutch racing website is reporting that Ant West will ride his last race for the Team Sicilia 250 team at Barcelona, and will be joining the factory Yamaha World Supersport team for the rest of the WSS team.

Story here:

http://www.racesport.nl/nieuwsbericht.php?id=12835

(pinched from another forum.)

Its not the worst news even if it is true, means we wont have to deal with anymore complaining and we get to see Ant on the podium and running up the front.. Good luck to the bloke either way..

tha_jackal
11th June 2007, 08:24
Somebody is watching. Hope he rings its neck

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/june/june4-10/jun1007westtotestfactorykawasaki-/

Fantastic opportunity, maybe he'll fill in for the injured Jacque if he cant ride at Donny.. Either way, Hopper and West @ Kawasaki in 08, dream team! :D

kiwigav
11th June 2007, 12:56
Good on him, remember your manners, Westy!
And I see Andrew Pitt is testing the Yamaha M1 too!

NinjaMaster
11th June 2007, 13:24
I read that too Gav. Great opportunity for Pitty on top machinery. That guy needs a change of luck. Has been shafted by too many teams.

Hopefully West can really impress on the Kwak. I'm pretty sure he got offered to be their test rider a few years back but turned it down to continue racing. Given Jacques elevation this year, perhaps that was an opportunity missed?

maxu05
12th June 2007, 05:39
Bout time, go for it Westy, keep ya head down, ass up, and keep ya trap shut and I am sure you will impress. I hope he does enough to convince the Big Kwak that he's the man for 2008.

kiwigav
12th June 2007, 08:45
May be earlier than that, wouldn't be surprised if Jacque is replaced before the end of this season. Apparently his injuries aren't healing too well.

tha_jackal
12th June 2007, 09:51
May be earlier than that, wouldn't be surprised if Jacque is replaced before the end of this season. Apparently his injuries aren't healing too well.

We can only hope, although, I wouldnt wish any harm upon anyone, but i would love to see Ant get a go in GP...

tha_jackal
12th June 2007, 11:52
Good interview with Ant on motogp.com (http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/motogp_news.htm?menu=news&news_id=20045&championship_id=3&section=1), seemed very happy with the Kawasaki outing, said 'it nearly rips your arms off down the straights' :p He also said he will be riding 600's for the rest of the year and has severed his ties with Team Sicilia.. He also hinted at possibly getting back aboard the Kwak, should the right circumstances arise...

NinjaMaster
12th June 2007, 13:06
I really hope that the split with his team is a mutual decision and not just him throwing in the towel on them for a more competitive supersport ride. Good luck to him for the future.

tha_jackal
12th June 2007, 15:08
Anthony West continues to stand in for Kevin Curtain after taking the race win at Silverstone. As with Monza and Silverstone, West has not ridden the Misano circuit before but this hasn't slowed him down at previous rounds. He will be in good company this weekend as almost none of the Supersport riders have ridden the new-look track.

"I'm looking to get another good result this weekend; it'll be nice to race in the dry and warm after Silverstone! I'm excited to go to Misano, especially off the back of my first win for the team," Anthony says. "It'll be a much more level playing field at Misano because very few people have ridden the new track yet. Normally I'm learning the circuit as well as trying to find the right set-up but this time everyone will be in the same boat, which will give me more chance of getting a good qualifying place. I'll start with the same set-up as I had at Silverstone and see where we go from there. I haven't had as much time as I'd like on the bike yet to find a good base setting but I'm not far off. It should be a good weekend."

Oh and as far as Team Sicilia's replacement rider goes, Ive heard Manuel Poggiali or 'Kuba' Smrz.. Be interesting to see how his replacement fares regardless..

patnicholls
12th June 2007, 21:12
Having not been on here since Silverstone until recently, just wanted to say...that WAS superb from Westy. Monza too actually.

Kev Curtain may be out for a while (possibly a season or even career-ender, actually), let's hope Westy has a good run.

fatman
16th June 2007, 06:31
Ant to Kawasaki by next race weekend ?

possible ? yay or nay ?

tha_jackal
16th June 2007, 08:17
Never say never ;)

Mach24
16th June 2007, 08:38
Ant to Kawasaki by next race weekend ?

possible ? yay or nay ?

Yay!

Unless there is pressure and any chance he might damage a burgeoning relationship with Yamaha.

tha_jackal
16th June 2007, 08:52
Yay!

Unless there is pressure and any chance he might damage a burgeoning relationship with Yamaha.

Then Yamaha can give him a GP ride! :D Honestly, hed be crazy not to give the kwak a go, just to show what hes capable of... And if they dont offer him anything in 08 then continue in WSS.. Simple...

17th June 2007, 00:06
If I was religious, I'd join the multitudes in praying for a factory ride for this exceptional talent.

His riding ability in all conditions is unquestioned but is just one of a number of attributes sponsors and factory teams would be seeking before committing to the megabucks required to fund a rider at the world level.

Once he learns to appreciate that the image he projects to the masses and the promotion of his team, mount and sponsor's products and services are matters of equal importance, the factories will no doubt look at him seriously.

As my pappy once said...get a good manager and stop handling yourself.

Mach24
17th June 2007, 01:03
RR, welcome aboard, great to read your well thought out post.

Please ensure you don't start a topic when one already exists as in this case:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112751

There are many Ant West fans here and we would welcome your continued input.

NinjaMaster
17th June 2007, 02:27
Welcome aboard Rod. :wave: I pretty much agree with that.

Can we merge this thread with the original one Pat?

17th June 2007, 03:39
Merge OK by me......Regards from Gold Coast Aus.

walrus81
17th June 2007, 13:49
West wins in Misano.

ozrevhead
17th June 2007, 13:57
Very Good Race for Westy :D

Guy commentating said that there were the rumors that he has been offered a MotoGP drive for the rest of the season

tha_jackal
17th June 2007, 14:27
Top stuff! Goooo Ant!

Mach24
18th June 2007, 01:35
Ant is really proving himself, to come in and blow away all the regulars is a fine effort in any sport.

Wouldn't it be strange if after all these years struggling away in 250 he makes it to MotoGP on the back of success in Supersport.

tha_jackal
18th June 2007, 02:45
Ant is really proving himself, to come in and blow away all the regulars is a fine effort in any sport.

Wouldn't it be strange if after all these years struggling away in 250 he makes it to MotoGP on the back of success in Supersport.

Lol, itd be ironic and frustrating, but it says alot.. Maybe he should have been in WSS three of four years ago, after the KTM debacle.. Anyway, bring on the green machine!! :D

The Phantom
18th June 2007, 03:19
Brilliant ride(s) from West to take the Misano round out. Parkes performance shows that the R6 has come a long way in development this year, to be able to finish ahead of Sofouglu. But West certainly in a class of his own overnight.

His post-race interview was a little better than in the past too. And in a twist of serendipity, I came across an old Performance Streetbike last night that has an interview with West from his early days in GP, will post some interesting snippets here tomorrow. In a nutshell, the interview (which also has interviews with his dad, mechanic etc.) opened my eyes a little to West's character, and my opinion of his worthiness has certainly changed. I think he deserves a good bike to take a shot at a title! I'll be happy to see him in either WSS or MotoGP but obviously the latter is where he wants to be.

tha_jackal
18th June 2007, 04:38
Another Westy convertee! Boo Yeh! :D Are you going to post a scan of the mag article or is it a vid?

The Phantom
18th June 2007, 08:20
It's an article, I'll try to arrange a scan of it this week.

osg
18th June 2007, 09:12
Brilliant ride(s) from West to take the Misano round out. Parkes performance shows that the R6 has come a long way in development this year, to be able to finish ahead of Sofouglu. But West certainly in a class of his own overnight.

His post-race interview was a little better than in the past too. And in a twist of serendipity, I came across an old Performance Streetbike last night that has an interview with West from his early days in GP, will post some interesting snippets here tomorrow. In a nutshell, the interview (which also has interviews with his dad, mechanic etc.) opened my eyes a little to West's character, and my opinion of his worthiness has certainly changed. I think he deserves a good bike to take a shot at a title! I'll be happy to see him in either WSS or MotoGP but obviously the latter is where he wants to be.

agreed Phantom, i'm an aussie and have been watching guys like West and Stoner since their entries into the top level racing, and i've always maintained that all they needed was a decent bike under their asses to do well. What is happening to both at the moment has re-enforced my thoughts.

Way to go Ant, lets hope this dominant patch of form leads to a wroks ride at last, and not an amateur effort like KTM's a while back.

Mach24
19th June 2007, 08:43
A reputable Australian Motorsport website has gone into print stating Westy is on the Kawasaki MotoGP bike for the remainder of the season......

tha_jackal
19th June 2007, 12:32
West and Kwaka for the remainder of 07 season a done deal?

Story Here (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/june/june18-24/jun1807westtoridekawasaki/)

Woooot, team green baby! :D Three Aussies in GP's now too! Goooo Ant, stick it up em!! :D

neninja
19th June 2007, 12:54
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/june/june18-24/jun1807westtoridekawasaki/

Looks like it's official

fatman
19th June 2007, 13:35
So my question is this.. Does the Kawasaki 800 factor as a competitive package for Ant? Is this his sink or swim time? For years Ant's die hard fans have been making large claims of what the Aussie could do if only given a good bike to ride.

What are the realistic expectations?
- Ant to be a regular race winner?
- Ant to be a regular podium contender?
- Ant to win/podium but only in the wet?
- Ant to run at the back of the pack and complain that the Kawa is a nail?

tha_jackal
19th June 2007, 13:41
So my question is this.. Does the Kawasaki 800 factor as a competitive package for Ant? Is this his sink or swim time? For years Ant's die hard fans have been making large claims of what the Aussie could do if only given a good bike to ride.

I just expect him to spend the first few races getting up to speed, then eventually trying to beat wherever DePuniet is at, simple as that! And i HOPE to god he doesnt complain, at all, ever, or he'll never race in GP again!

19th June 2007, 14:37
awesome news for westy and all his believers.kawasaki are not that silly they have seen him ride the bike and give feed back on it and are obviously impressed with what they have seen.full marks to kawasaki for thinking outside the square on a replacement rider for the bike.what kawasaki need is a rider that believes in himself and wants to run at the front,a rider that is willing to give 100% everytime he gets on the bike (something they currently dont have) and doesnt crash every time they ride the bike. i believe west is that rider.any other rider that fits that description is already in a contract and would cost alot more money.
as for his future results i think he will be infront of randy if not after this weekend then by the next race meeting, and will take the bike as far as it will go in it current development.
as for his complaining i bet every rider that wants to win and isnt is "complaining" because thats how they push the team forward, its how they "complain" that is the difference. it needs to be positive,constructive critisism not negative that ruins morale in the team. i think wests previous complaining has been his his frustration at a team not giving 100%. a manufaturer not giving him better equipment and a tyre supplier not giving him good tyres when he is giving 110% to achieve reslts he knows he can obtain but feels like he is being let down.
i sincerely hope he keeps his brain in gear before engaging his mouth because it is a game of politics and nobody like to hear the truth told so brutally honestly. i quite honestly never thought i would see west ever in this position and i belive if he says the wrong things or less likely doesnt get results he will never get this chance again.
COME ON WESTY!!!!

tha_jackal
19th June 2007, 15:10
awesome news for westy and all his believers.kawasaki are not that silly they have seen him ride the bike and give feed back on it and are obviously impressed with what they have seen.full marks to kawasaki for thinking outside the square on a replacement rider for the bike.what kawasaki need is a rider that believes in himself and wants to run at the front,a rider that is willing to give 100% everytime he gets on the bike (something they currently dont have) and doesnt crash every time they ride the bike. i believe west is that rider.any other rider that fits that description is already in a contract and would cost alot more money.
as for his future results i think he will be infront of randy if not after this weekend then by the next race meeting, and will take the bike as far as it will go in it current development.
as for his complaining i bet every rider that wants to win and isnt is "complaining" because thats how they push the team forward, its how they "complain" that is the difference. it needs to be positive,constructive critisism not negative that ruins morale in the team. i think wests previous complaining has been his his frustration at a team not giving 100%. a manufaturer not giving him better equipment and a tyre supplier not giving him good tyres when he is giving 110% to achieve reslts he knows he can obtain but feels like he is being let down.
i sincerely hope he keeps his brain in gear before engaging his mouth because it is a game of politics and nobody like to hear the truth told so brutally honestly. i quite honestly never thought i would see west ever in this position and i belive if he says the wrong things or less likely doesnt get results he will never get this chance again.
COME ON WESTY!!!!

Couldnt of put it better myself! :up:

Corny
19th June 2007, 18:12
WOW, few weeks back I post here that West would be perfect for Kawa.. Looks like they listened to me

Mach24
19th June 2007, 23:23

Fatty, there are a lot of positions between the podium and the back of the pack.

I am certain Ant would be happy with top 10 finishes and if he could step onto the podium that would be a fine achievement and most likely assure his long term future

DePu raised the bar last round and if he continues to do so Ant will have a hell of a task beating his team mate who now has a season and a half with the team.

I predict before the end of the season Ant will be regularly beating his team mate.

Looking to 08' Ant needs to show he has the 'talent' to take the Big K to the top step or they will be recruiting two new riders for 08'.

This is it the bulls**t stops now! If you can talk the talk you gotta walk the walk!

Goooo Ant (thats for you Jackal)

ozrevhead
20th June 2007, 01:54
I just expect him to spend the first few races getting up to speed, then eventually trying to beat wherever DePuniet is at, simple as that! And i HOPE to god he doesnt complain, at all, ever, or he'll never race in GP again!
good point

people with egos dont like honesty that much unless it makes them look good

T-D
20th June 2007, 01:55
I just expect him to spend the first few races getting up to speed, then eventually trying to beat wherever DePuniet is at, simple as that! And i HOPE to god he doesnt complain, at all, ever, or he'll never race in GP again!exactly. and, before i forget. YOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

GO WESTY! :beer:

ozrevhead
20th June 2007, 02:08
FINALLY!!

Its about time too - GO WESTY!

Now the question remains - dare I dream about an all Aussie Podium at Philip Island :D

NinjaMaster
20th June 2007, 12:07
Fatty, there are a lot of positions between the podium and the back of the pack.

I am certain Ant would be happy with top 10 finishes and if he could step onto the podium that would be a fine achievement and most likely assure his long term future

DePu raised the bar last round and if he continues to do so Ant will have a hell of a task beating his team mate who now has a season and a half with the team.

I predict before the end of the season Ant will be regularly beating his team mate.

Looking to 08' Ant needs to show he has the 'talent' to take the Big K to the top step or they will be recruiting two new riders for 08'.

This is it the bulls**t stops now! If you can talk the talk you gotta walk the walk!

Goooo Ant (thats for you Jackal)
You must be a carpenter Mach because you've hit the nail right on the head! :)

Basically, this is the opportunity that Ant has dreamed of - a fast bike with factory backing. And he has plenty of opportunity for the rest of the year to show his true wares so hopefully he can make the most of it and be able to really give it his best shot. No excuses now, just how he'd want it.

tha_jackal
20th June 2007, 12:38
You must be a carpenter Mach because you've hit the nail right on the head! :)

Basically, this is the opportunity that Ant has dreamed of - a fast bike with factory backing. And he has plenty of opportunity for the rest of the year to show his true wares so hopefully he can make the most of it and be able to really give it his best shot. No excuses now, just how he'd want it.

Do you think he'd be getting paid for his contract? Or would it be voluntary? :p My gut feeling is the latter...

Ranger
20th June 2007, 14:09
... so what's Ant's racing number gonna be? Of all the people who could have the #14, it's his team-mate. :p :

NinjaMaster
20th June 2007, 14:17
... so what's Ant's racing number gonna be? Of all the people who could have the #14, it's his team-mate. :p :
And in another twist of irony, West's last GP podium was at Donington where he finished second to RdP! :laugh:

I've got no doubt Ant will get paid. I couldn't imagine Kawasaki are that cheap. Certainly not a superstars wage but enough to live on.

As for his number, I think he may have been 95 or 96 when he was 250 proddie racing so maybe he would revert to that?

Ranger
20th June 2007, 14:23
Bayliss used #12 when his WSBK #21 was used by Hopkins for Valencia... maybe Ant could use #41 in the same vain...

Regardless, racing numbers are unimportant. I hope he gets a good result in Donington to secure his place for the time being and hopefully into the future. :up:

tha_jackal
20th June 2007, 14:29
Bayliss used #12 when his WSBK #21 was used by Hopkins for Valencia... maybe Ant could use #41 in the same vain...

Regardless, racing numbers are unimportant. I hope he gets a good result in Donington to secure his place for the time being and hopefully into the future. :up:

Who does DePuniet think he is stealing Ant's number anyway! :D I think Ant'll go for #41 also, but Ninja makes a good argument.. Maybe he'll go for #28, 14x2 :D Anyway, as Malllen eluded to, it really is meaningless, but itll be nice to find out.. Ive also heard he's had a new set of leathers and a helmet designed for the rest of the year, they should be interesting to see also!

NinjaMaster
20th June 2007, 14:42
Haha, bit of a waste getting his new Yamaha leathers last week! :laugh:

osg
20th June 2007, 21:00
COME ON WESTY!!!!

geez thats a great post :up:

Look, i guess all we can hope for for Anthony is that he settles in well, and garners some solid top 10 placings for the remainder of the season. Anything more is a big bonus. If it rains......... well, Vermuelen, Stoner and Melandri will have their hands full :p :

ozrevhead
21st June 2007, 00:43
If it rains......... well, Vermuelen, Stoner and Melandri will have their hands full :p :
They wouldnt want it any other way!

The Phantom
21st June 2007, 01:59
Do you think he'd be getting paid for his contract? Or would it be voluntary? My gut feeling is the latter...

Don't do something for nothing... especially if it's life threatening! : ) There's huge amounts of money in this sport even with the minnows like Kawasaki, Westy will be paid alright.

Ive also heard he's had a new set of leathers and a helmet designed for the rest of the year, they should be interesting to see also!

Looking forward to seeing that too. So what's with the helmet he was using in WSS, isn't that an older Charpentier rep?

Pantah Jack
21st June 2007, 05:00
Now we have the cat amongst the pigeons we will all have some fun, except maybe for some of those motogp dudes who have been hangin' around for way too long.

As for the number go 13 haha

NinjaMaster
21st June 2007, 10:44
Do you think he'd be getting paid for his contract? Or would it be voluntary? :p My gut feeling is the latter...
Well Jake, West would want to get paid pretty well based on this article from Eurosport.

British GP - West secures MotoGP ride
Eurosport - Wed, 20 Jun 21:32:00 2007
British GP - Australian Anthony West has switched to MotoGP after Yamaha allowed him to buy out his contract to race for them in the World Supersport series.

The 250cc grand prix race winner tested for Kawasaki in Barcelona last week and has been tipped to replace injured Frenchman Olivier Jacque for the remainder of the season.

Confirmation was expected at the British Grand Prix at Donington Park on Thursday, before the first practice session on Friday.

"I feel I've got my career back on track," West, 25, said in a Yamaha statement, without naming his new employers.

"To leave Yamaha now is sad but it's such a great chance for me to follow my dream to go to MotoGP.

"The financial compensation I've got to pay is severe but I've got the chance to show what I can do on a MotoGP bike and I hope it's worth it."

West last competed in the top category in 2001, when he rode a privately-entered 500cc Honda.

tha_jackal
21st June 2007, 12:43
Maybe Ants feedback and team communication isnt so bad after all! .. According to Kawasaki spokesman Ian Wheeler ..

Story Here (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/june/june18-24/jun2107britishmotogpkawasakiconfirmwesttoridezxrrf orrestofmotogpseason-/)

A quote for all you lazy sods:-

"The internal discussion took place straight after he tested the bike but still working on the whole thing up until Sunday afternoon and that’s when it was finalized," added Wheeler.

“He turned up on Monday at Catalunya and there were no expectations on our part and his whole approach to the test was completely professional.

His times were promising but really it all came down to what he managed to communicate to the team and the assessment of his technical ability in the bike.

It was then really that the possibility of him being a replacement started to be considered more seriously."

patnicholls
21st June 2007, 21:03
Well, the big chance you've all been waiting for arrives!

Kawasaki have revamped their efforts this year; said that now they've got the bike, just need the riders. Westy has been saying he can do the job for years, after three races showing he definitely can do it on a Supersport bike now comes his full-on big MotoGP opportunity.

I think realistically, spend a couple of races settling into the machinery and getting to the flag with no silly DNFs, then look at moving forwards. Personally, I think Randy de Puniet's got the pace on the Kwaka but lacks a bit of consistency and also luck. The other thing Westy needs to is keep his head down and stay quiet while he gets into things. He needs to give himself a fair run without saying anything silly. Although I hadn't realised he's still only 25.

But seriously, good luck to him.

21st June 2007, 23:11
Well, well, well.......he's done it.......Full points to Kawasaki for providing this opportunity for AW. I'd reckon that he's chosen the #13 as a "middle-finger" to the superstitious.
Moto GP 2007 is already a thrill-a-minute and now the cat is really among the pigeons. He would no doubt benefit from progressing in the class as suggested by Pat Nic.
However, this is West we're talking about.....It'd be akin to expecting a bull-rider to take it easy after he jumps on "Chainsaw" and the gate opens.
I'd expect a lot of other riders to get a view of his backside early on. .....Sit back and buckle up!

tha_jackal
22nd June 2007, 02:32
Now we have the cat amongst the pigeons we will all have some fun, except maybe for some of those motogp dudes who have been hangin' around for way too long.

As for the number go 13 haha

Hey spot on with the number choice Jackster! :D Whats the chances of Kawasaki running a three rider team next year, DePuniet, West and Hopper? Thatd be Niiiiice :p

fatman
22nd June 2007, 03:40
While it's going to be great to see what Ant and team green can pull out of their sleeves over the rest of the season. I can't help but feel a little sad that OJ is announcing his retirement from racing.

Big props to OJ. He hasn't impressed much over the first half of this year, but over his entire career he has been an impressive rider and person.

Big props.

Mach24
22nd June 2007, 03:59
While it's going to be great to see what Ant and team green can pull out of their sleeves over the rest of the season. I can't help but feel a little sad that OJ is announcing his retirement from racing.

Big props to OJ. He hasn't impressed much over the first half of this year, but over his entire career he has been an impressive rider and person.

Big props.

Yeah, your right.

Through the euphoria for Ant the end of OJ should not simply slide by.

A great competitor and a champion! All the best in retirement OJ.

osg
22nd June 2007, 07:08
Yeah, your right.

Through the euphoria for Ant the end of OJ should not simply slide by.

A great competitor and a champion! All the best in retirement OJ.

I'm sorry i just can't agree there..... i'll never, ever forgive him for how he stole the 250 World Title from Shinya.

Mach24
22nd June 2007, 07:34
I'm sorry i just can't agree there..... i'll never, ever forgive him for how he stole the 250 World Title from Shinya.

So you don't wish him well?

racer69
22nd June 2007, 08:34

What, stole it by winning it fair and square?

Ranger
22nd June 2007, 11:45
Top 10 in first practise would indicate he at least has the speed for the job. What were the conditions?

jim mcglinchey
22nd June 2007, 12:12
cool and wet and the forecast for the weekend isnt great either.

osg
22nd June 2007, 20:52
So you don't wish him well?

sorry mach.... left a bit out of the post....

i wish him well in retirement, but the bloke was a snake in the grass as a rider. Dirty dirty rider tactically.

Lanky_Wes
23rd June 2007, 02:06
Westy already giving Rossi the hurry-up! :D

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/2007/mgp/donington/1/3a.jpg

On OJ, I remember his reputation in 250 as a hard charger who had a tendency to ride past the limit. Which is probably why I found it so ammusing in '98 (I think) when he accused Bayliss of riding too hard when Troy had a wildcard ride on an uncompetitive Suzuki 250 at the Island.

NinjaMaster
23rd June 2007, 02:10
Westy already giving Rossi the hurry-up!

On OJ, I remember his reputation in 250 as a hard charger who had a tendency to ride past the limit. Which is probably why I found it so ammusing in '98 (I think) when he accused Bayliss of riding too hard when Troy had a wildcard ride on an uncompetitive Suzuki 250 at the Island.

osg
23rd June 2007, 08:56
Westy already giving Rossi the hurry-up!

God i love the leather and helmet design that Ant has going!!!!!!!!!!! Wicked :eek:

tha_jackal
23rd June 2007, 09:02
God i love the leather and helmet design that Ant has going!!!!!!!!!!! Wicked :eek:

Yer i agree, looking good with the aussie green and gold on his lid.. :up:

Mach24
23rd June 2007, 23:37
I gotta say I am just a bit disappointed in Ant's performance first time out. I know its only his second time on the bike and blah blah blah but I did expect just a tad more.

Hope he can find some consistent pace for the race and stay upright.

I guess I need to re-evaluate my expectations........

osg
24th June 2007, 00:27
I gotta say I am just a bit disappointed in Ant's performance first time out. I know its only his second time on the bike and blah blah blah but I did expect just a tad more.

Hope he can find some consistent pace for the race and stay upright.

I guess I need to re-evaluate my expectations........

bit harsh Mach.......... first time ever on quali tyres, intermittent weather etc etc.

Lets see how he goes with race pace.

Mach24
24th June 2007, 01:03
I am sure Ant's expectations are even greater than mine.

He may well be right on the money in race trim but struggling in quali.

Time will tell and Ant has a few races up his sleeve. However if he wants this ride in 08' he can not warm up for too long. Something tells me Capirossi, Melandri and Co are now very keen to be on the Green machine.

tha_jackal
24th June 2007, 02:51
For sure its a tad dissapointing to be down the lower end of the sheets but realistically this has been the WORST possible weekend for Ant. Rain on day one then complete dry for day two. That would mean he had to learn the track in the dry on the new bike (second time riding in the dry) and re-do the entire setup. Honestly, its about what i expected..

I think this sums it up pretty well though:-

West Crew Chief

“Yesterday we found a good wet set up but today we had to start again in the dry and it’s very difficult to jump on a bike for the first time and then experience such differing conditions. Anthony did very well indeed: it’s the first time he’s used a qualifying tyre and that isn’t easy. Our target is for him to finish the race and he was very consistent on race tyres. We will keep taking it step by step and I think he’s going to improve quickly. We just need a little time.”

He'll only get better and he always races better than he qualifies... Gooo Ant..

maxu05
24th June 2007, 07:52
I watched the Qualifying live on Motogp.com, and Mark Bracks interviewed Westy's team manager. Bracks asked his manager what he expects from Ant, and he said " Just to go out and enjoy riding the bike." I think that sums it up. His team is putting no pressure on him, I think, as they know Ant is already motivated enough to want to do well. I think they know what he can do, but it will take a few races to get up to speed. Go Westy :up:

tha_jackal
24th June 2007, 08:30
I watched the Qualifying live on Motogp.com, and Mark Bracks interviewed Westy's team manager. Bracks asked his manager what he expects from Ant, and he said " Just to go out and enjoy riding the bike." I think that sums it up. His team is putting no pressure on him, I think, as they know Ant is already motivated enough to want to do well. I think they know what he can do, but it will take a few races to get up to speed. Go Westy :up:

"Wee-a want eem to gain a-pleasuure from rideeng this-a machine." :D
- Direct quote from Michael Bartholemly ( spelling? :confused: )

Ranger
24th June 2007, 10:03
He's topped morning warmup! Nice!

T-D
24th June 2007, 14:45
i jinxed him by picking him for a wet podium. next time 'ill shut up. :laugh:

tha_jackal
24th June 2007, 15:35
i jinxed him by picking him for a wet podium. next time 'ill shut up. :laugh:

If he didnt make that mistake he would have been on the podium im sure.. Either way, he did well in my book, on and off the track. Was happy and chatty in his interviews before and after the race and really gutsed it out to come home in 11th and score some points ( more than OJ has this year, yes ill remind you again! :D ) Bring on Assen and bring on the next 10 races .. CANI! P.S One reason Ant might of been slighty unhappy with his 250 team is the fact that they never paid him ... and still havnt.. :eek:

Mach24
24th June 2007, 23:21
If he didnt make that mistake he would have been on the podium im sure.. Either way, he did well in my book, on and off the track. Was happy and chatty in his interviews before and after the race and really gutsed it out to come home in 11th and score some points ( more than OJ has this year, yes ill remind you again! :D ) Bring on Assen and bring on the next 10 races .. CANI! P.S One reason Ant might of been slighty unhappy with his 250 team is the fact that they never paid him ... and still havnt.. :eek:

He was doing great and the wet can do these things to you. I think the potential shown in the early laps were enough to keep his new employers happy.

leopard
25th June 2007, 04:03
That was a pity he has to ride motogp without his trademark on the 14 number.

Congrats that finally West has the chance riding motogp, and makes Rossi surprised on the first wet race.

osg
25th June 2007, 09:40
Shame for Ant running off track, and wasn't he dark on himself when he returned to track........... i agree, a podium for sure was on the cards, but lets put it down to a learning experience.... great fight back to get 11th.

The Phantom
25th June 2007, 12:29
Another great pic : )

Courtesy of mcnews.com.au (g'day Trev)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2007/MotoGP/Rnd8_Donington/Gallery_A/images/West_07GP08_3816_AN.jpg

MrJan
25th June 2007, 21:35
West really impressed me this weekend. Obviously I had heard good things about him but didn't really know much about him. To get onto a MotoGP bike and ride it as well as he did is very impressive. Even after he fell off (before which he was flying) he still kept on going and looked mightily quick flying past the riders further back. At the end it seemed as though his tyres were going off but it didn't dampen a great performance. Sadly he (and everyone else) is left to ponder 'what if?'

The Phantom
26th June 2007, 09:31
Sadly he (and everyone else) is left to ponder 'what if?'

Only till the next race! : )

tha_jackal
26th June 2007, 09:49
Only till the next race! : )

Looks like a good chance of rain across the weekend @ Assen too, but honestly, i want to see him get up there in the dry... :up:

tha_jackal
26th June 2007, 15:08
Anthony West: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #13
"I like Assen and have good memories of it as I won my first GP race there in 2003, riding a 250cc. It used to be really fast and flowing but the first part was changed and lost some of its appeal. The last part, the nicest bit, remains the same though. There are some corners you can go in to really hard and I'm really looking forward to riding the Ninja ZX-RR round there. I'd like to go and be fast but there's still so much to learn and I need more time. The aim is just to do the same good job we did at Donington: improving session after session, one step at a time. I'm still getting used to the whole thing, and it's going to take a while yet, but I'm having a lot of fun at the moment and it's all good!"

I think this sums up Ants current mindset pretty well.. Its clear he's just STOKED to be in GP's at the moment and just loving every minute. I find that refreshing.. Gooo Ant! Give gas and keep impressing the people that count :up: ..

NinjaMaster
27th June 2007, 13:57
It's good to hear that from Ant. I think he'll improve at Assen. He really just needs more time in the saddle to get used to everything. Give him another 3 or 4 races and he'll be giving RdP the hurry-up I think.

ArmchairBikeFan
28th June 2007, 20:52
There's an article about Ant West getting the Kwaka MotoGP ride here:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/38374/
It's by Dennis Noyes, and there's a lot of high praise from such a highly respected motorcycle racing writer, he really seems to rate Westy.

Mach24
29th June 2007, 00:46
teammate Anthony West ended the day only 17th after suffering a low-side at Ruskenhoek in the afternoon. He was unhurt and was able to rejoin the session on his spare bike.

"I was feeling good until I crashed; everything felt right and the changes we'd made this morning were working really well," West said.

"It was strange because I was already in the corner, just ready to open the gas, but then I lost the front and went down. I don't know why: perhaps the tyre wasn't warm enough as I'd only done one lap on it. Maybe I need to warm them up a bit more on the left hand side.

"So yeah, obviously I'm not very happy but at least the set-up we found was good."

tha_jackal
29th June 2007, 11:20
There's an article about Ant West getting the Kwaka MotoGP ride here:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/38374/
It's by Dennis Noyes, and there's a lot of high praise from such a highly respected motorcycle racing writer, he really seems to rate Westy.

That really is a fantastic article, it outlines Westys struggles through his life and career to a T .. :up: good find mate!

tha_jackal
30th June 2007, 14:34
Gooooo Ant, brilliant ride, to finish first you have to finish ;) Ninth place in his second ride is a fantastic achievment, especially to beat home the likes of Melandri, Checa, Nakano and Tamada, a few GP winners in that bunch! Im sure Ant has turned some heads, now bring on the Saxonring, a track Ant quite enjoys by the way... :up:

Also, a fantastic post race interview, sounded happy, laughing, even called the race 'beautiful' .. im sure it was soooo sweet for him to beat Melandri to the line, after watching him get so many oppotrunities ahead of him in the past..

Woot! :)

osg
30th June 2007, 14:37
Gooooo Ant, brilliant ride, to finish first you have to finish ;) Ninth place in his second ride is a fantastic achievment, especially to beat home the likes of Melandri, Checa, Nakano and Tamada, a few GP winners in that bunch! Im sure Ant has turned some heads, now bring on the Saxonring, a track Ant quite enjoys by the way... :up:

Also, a fantastic post race interview, sounded happy, laughing, even called the race 'beautiful' .. im sure it was soooo sweet for him to beat Melandri to the line, after watching him get so many oppotrunities ahead of him in the past..

Woot! :)

couldn't agree more Jackal.... he was cool as a cucumber, unlike his dickhead teammate who just can't keep the thing upright or out of anyone's way. Geez thats a great ride considering the lack of dry weather time he's had on the seat.

GOOOOOOOO Ant!!!

tha_jackal
30th June 2007, 17:50
Plus he's making the right people happy:- ;)

Michael Bartholemy: Kawasaki Competition Manager
"Basically, it was a very good weekend. Randy's been confident in both the wet and the dry the whole time and his starting position was excellent. Anthony also did a great job on Thursday and Friday. Neither of them got off to a good start and then Randy had bad luck with his crash but, from the other side, Anthony rode a fantastic race. It's not often someone impresses me but I must say that today, he did. He's only had a matter of hours on our bike in the dry but he's a fighter: battling with Checa, Hofmann and Melandri. I'm really happy. On the last lap, I still didn't believe he could finish in that position but he did. It was a fantastic job."

Anthony West: Race Position: 9th - Championship Position: 18th
"I was nervous on the line and, as soon as I released the clutch, I knew my start wasn't a good one. A lot of people went past and I couldn't quite get it together for the first few laps, but then I found a good rhythm. Hofmann, Checa and Melandri and I formed a bit of a group and we fought for the rest of the race. We were changing positions a lot, holding each other up, everyone trying everything: it was a bit wild at times. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. I'm really glad I could stay with those guys for the rest of the race and that I didn't drop out of the group. I'm really happy: one of my goals was to be in the top ten this year but I didn't expect it to be at this race!"

:up:

T-D
1st July 2007, 00:57
yeah, bartholomew seems to be really happy with westy.

i am, too. he was upbeat in the interview and the on track his battles were very intense but he fought cleanly and hard. i think the other riders learned that they could trust him, and i bet he won their respect, as well.

i was wishing for a wet race to see him podium maybe, but i think this is better. he needs dry seat time to really sort out the bike.

excellent race. roll on sausagering.

The Phantom
1st July 2007, 01:31
In his interview with Brackys he said that he was learning new things each lap about what he and the bike could and couldn't do. To be doing that, while fighting for position and keeping the thing on the track, is very promising!

I'd expect him to make steady progress to be running in the middle of the top ten within a few races if he can continue his current evolution (and attitude : )

fatman
2nd July 2007, 05:25
if ant can keep it up ( and i dont doubt he can ) he'll have the ride next year and a chance to develop a bike. good show.

NinjaMaster
2nd July 2007, 06:05
It's great to see Ant happy and enjoying racing again and he really has been impressive. Having said that, it is pretty much what I expected. His interviews have been good but really, what else would you expect when he's now got everything that he always dreamed of? The future now looks very bright after it seemed to reach it's bleakest point only a few weeks ago. Good thingsa come to those who wait perhaps?

tha_jackal
3rd July 2007, 01:37
Ant needs to HARDEN UP princess :D :p ;) ..

MotoGP is different to 250's or WSS:
Story Here (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/01072007/58/dutch-tt-west-vows-improve-fitness.html)

Imagine if he was fit! Top 5? :D :p

I think Ant will only get better, stronger and faster from this point on! Exciting times ahead!

burger
3rd July 2007, 07:07
Ant needs to HARDEN UP princess ..

MotoGP is different to 250's or WSS:
Story Here (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/01072007/58/dutch-tt-west-vows-improve-fitness.html)

Imagine if he was fit! Top 5?

I think Ant will only get better, stronger and faster from this point on! Exciting times ahead!

I think that's his plan ;)

tha_jackal
3rd July 2007, 09:22
Good read on Kawasaki's website about Ant:-

Clicky (http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press/index.asp?saction=Article&sSection=press&id=759)

Just a bit of a Q&A, the difference in Ant's attitude really is amazing now that he's caught the break he deserves..

Peace!

Ranger
3rd July 2007, 10:15
Just a bit of a Q&A, the difference in Ant's attitude really is amazing now that he's caught the break he deserves..
I wouldn't bet against Ant actually out-pointing Randy this season. The dude is good, but he'll need to improve his qualy pace.

The Phantom
12th July 2007, 04:01
Good pic.

There appear to be covers on the rotors, I haven't seen that before?

http://www.mcnews.com.au/MotorcycleRacing2007/MotoGP/Rnd9_Assen/Gallery_H/images/West_07GP09_1332_AN.jpg

ArmchairBikeFan
12th July 2007, 10:16
Those covers are probably gravel scrapers, thanks to de Puniet's development efforts. :)

neninja
12th July 2007, 12:48
Are those covers to keep heat in the carbon discs when it's very cool? Can't see any aerodynamic purpose to them.

The Phantom
12th July 2007, 16:57
Keep heat in and keep water spray off - sounds plausible.

ArmchairBikeFan
12th July 2007, 20:25
Well if you look at the picture, everybody's wrapped up warm, all wearing winter coats and suchlike. Could well be to keep heat in the disks.

tha_jackal
15th July 2007, 14:34
Wooot, gooo Ant :D Fantastic ride and im loving his attitude in the post race interviews! He was even closing in on Randy over the last few laps before the Frenchys bike shat itself, Ant'd be stoked just to finish right with his teammate.. Now he's gotta start beating him :up:

tha_jackal
18th July 2007, 11:28
from mcn:

"Anthony West is understood to be attracting the attention of D’Antin Ducati while Randy de Puniet is rumoured to have held brief talks with Suzuki."

Heres hoping Ant can pick up a ride in GP next year, regardless of what action Kawasaki take ;) Its looking more promising..

NinjaMaster
18th July 2007, 12:30
I've got no doubt Ant's performances this year would have caught the eye of a few team owners. What that actually translates to is anyones guess. In his favour is the open state of things contract wise in the paddock with lots of rides currently unresolved. Also, the likes of KRJr, Barros and Checa should retire and their could be extra bikes available from Kwak and Zook.
Against him is the influx of 250 riders heading to the top class as well as possibly JT. Also the likely demise of team KR leaves less seats and the fact that there are already 2 other Aussie riders means that he will likely receive precious little help from Dorna. The future is still uncertain for young Ant but he at least still has time to show if he has what it takes.

Dr. Gellar
19th July 2007, 02:36
from mcn:

"Anthony West is understood to be attracting the attention of D’Antin Ducati while Randy de Puniet is rumoured to have held brief talks with Suzuki."

Heres hoping Ant can pick up a ride in GP next year, regardless of what action Kawasaki take ;) Its looking more promising..

I agree. He deserves a full season to truly show what he's got. And with the equipment set-up D'Antin Ducati now enjoys, a ride with them is no longer the less than desirable prospect it used to be.

tha_jackal
22nd July 2007, 23:40
9th, 8th and 7th in his last three races :D Goo Ant! Surely someone's taking notice for 2008 and beyond.. Woulda loved to beat DePuniet but still did superbly well for his first outing at Laguna IMO .. Im happy, as an Australian.. obviously ;)

maxu05
22nd July 2007, 23:53
Fantastic ride IMO, although, I felt for poor old Tamada when Westy got past him with a lap or 2 to go,(best performance by Dunlop so far). I hope he is being considered for a permanent ride, if not for Kawasaki, I hope some of the other teams are taking notice.

mx311
24th July 2007, 06:46
I just thought I'd share my thoughts on Ant West's turnaround since I was here last.

Personally I had mixed emotions upon hearing Ant had scored the ride replacing OJ. Firstly, I really liked OJ and it was sad to see his career end like it did. Secondly, it annoys me slightly that Ant got the ride basically because Dorna asked Kawasaki to give him a go*, I'm sick of Dorna placing riders in the series. However, it's good to see him shut his yap and just get on with the business. His performances show that he has talent and that as many of us have suspected for a while now, the bigger bikes suit him. Fingers crossed he has a good second half of the year.

* - I should just note, from what I heard Ant was on the Kawasaki list anyway so may have still gotten the ride even without Dorna's little push.

tha_jackal
24th July 2007, 14:20
I just thought I'd share my thoughts on Ant West's turnaround since I was here last.

Personally I had mixed emotions upon hearing Ant had scored the ride replacing OJ. Firstly, I really liked OJ and it was sad to see his career end like it did. Secondly, it annoys me slightly that Ant got the ride basically because Dorna asked Kawasaki to give him a go*, I'm sick of Dorna placing riders in the series. However, it's good to see him shut his yap and just get on with the business. His performances show that he has talent and that as many of us have suspected for a while now, the bigger bikes suit him. Fingers crossed he has a good second half of the year.

* - I should just note, from what I heard Ant was on the Kawasaki list anyway so may have still gotten the ride even without Dorna's little push.

You never really have liked Ant have ya :D Some things never change i guess ;) .. Ant has made any result OJ (a former 250 world champ) had/could have look like complete garbage and i think for that reason, if Dorna did have a say, then they are justified in their actions..

Ant has shut his yap because he's been given a ride that allows him to properly demonstrate his talent, (like the Yamaha WSS ride did, made Sofuoglu look a class below) that, and he's not being screwed around by a shifty manufacturer. I rekon Dorna must of felt sorry for Ant after Aprilia screwed him over so bad.. again :mad: if they offered him a ride in the top factory Aprilia 250 team next year (equivelant of Lorenzo this year) he'd tell them to shove it up their arse..

Ant has a great chance to establish himself as a GP contender over the next half of the year and i think he will.. His progression has been impressive (9th, 8th, 7th in his last three races) and he's only going to get better and better.. If Kawasaki dont keep him for 08 then im pretty confident that another team will capitalise on team greens loss..

T-D
25th July 2007, 00:34
You never really have liked Ant have ya :D Some things never change i guess ;) .. Ant has made any result OJ (a former 250 world champ) had/could have look like complete garbage and i think for that reason, if Dorna did have a say, then they are justified in their actions..

Ant has shut his yap because he's been given a ride that allows him to properly demonstrate his talent, (like the Yamaha WSS ride did, made Sofuoglu look a class below) that, and he's not being screwed around by a shifty manufacturer. I rekon Dorna must of felt sorry for Ant after Aprilia screwed him over so bad.. again :mad: if they offered him a ride in the top factory Aprilia 250 team next year (equivelant of Lorenzo this year) he'd tell them to shove it up their arse..

Ant has a great chance to establish himself as a GP contender over the next half of the year and i think he will.. His progression has been impressive (9th, 8th, 7th in his last three races) and he's only going to get better and better.. If Kawasaki dont keep him for 08 then im pretty confident that another team will capitalise on team greens loss..al true. all true. as dennis noyes said. teams in the motogp paddock have all known about ant's talent. only politics have kept him out of the top rides. well, perhaps, his big mouth, too. :(

nevertheless, i see a bunch of possibilities openng up for him going forward, including motogp, wsbk and, if nothing else, wss.

NinjaMaster
25th July 2007, 15:34
For anyone who can get their hands on a copy, the latest Australian Motorcycle News magazine has an interview with Ant by Michael Scott and I have to say it is an absolute belter. The great thing about Westy (for the public but not usually for him) is that he pulls no punches and tells it exactly how he sees it. Refreshing from hearing politically correct, sponsor placing tow-the-line interviews that are so much the norm these days.

Pantah Jack
25th July 2007, 16:31
Touche Jake......seems there are still the knockers around. I hope Ant keeps "yappin". His results of late show the talent he always new he had and if I had been shafted as often as he has..... I rekon I would make some serious noise and you would have heard me all the way in Spain from sleepy ol' Perth.

The article Ninja Master refers to is an absolute pearler. I for one am sick of the santised crap you see from so many sporting stars. There should be more comical send ups of it. Stoner is another who calls it as he sees it. More power to him.

I also see Wayne Gardner getting stuck into Ant (even tho he is a fan?) in Rapid Mag regarding his helmet fogging up and that this was the reason he binned it at Donnington. After having viewed every photo I can access on that entire race weekend I cannot see any where he has not had a very clear visor including the couple taken just before, and as the back came around on him ?????

Anyway I guess the "GRASSHOPPER" cant do much more than improve at every round. MotoGP is all the better for having a fair dinkum bloke like Ant around.

osg
26th July 2007, 00:03

Ant has a great chance to establish himself as a GP contender over the next half of the year and i think he will.. His progression has been impressive (9th, 8th, 7th in his last three races) and he's only going to get better and better.. If Kawasaki dont keep him for 08 then im pretty confident that another team will capitalise on team greens loss..

great post jackal..... and it was another great ride from Ant again last weekend.

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 02:15
Look forward to reading the article in AMCN at work today :up: Ta for the heads up Ninja..

The Phantom
26th July 2007, 03:53
The AMCN interview is excellent : )

mx311
26th July 2007, 04:24

See here's the problem with internet forums, I have no idea if you're joking or not in this post.

In case you were serious, I've got nothing against Ant West. Read my post again, I don't speak ill of him at all. What I said was 'it annoys me slightly that Ant got the ride basically because Dorna asked Kawasaki to give him a go.' It annoys me that Dorna have any say in who gets rides. Ant isn't the first, Olivier Jacque, Randy de Puniet, Sylvain Guintoli, Alex Hoffman, Carlos Checa, various Brits etc have all gotten help from Dorna in landing rides. Maybe it's just me, but I think the teams and manufacturers (and perhaps sponsors) should have a say in who rides where, not the organising body.

Secondly, "Ant has shut his yap because he's been given a ride that allows him to properly demonstrate his talent". True and it's good to see, which is what I said.

Thirdly, "and he's not being screwed around by a shifty manufacturer." OK, Aprilia did nothing wrong when it came to Ant so calling them shifty is uncalled for. Aprilia gave Ant everything that they promised. Ant was never a Aprilia factory or factory supported rider meaning that Aprilia didn't have to supply him with technicians or engineers. That was the teams job. Also as far as the bike went, he got exactly what Aprilia offered him, the same type of bike that Roberto Locatelli had last year. That means it was once again a two year old bike. That's what it was always going to be, I think the media reported it as if he was going to have a better bike than what was being offered. From what I've gathered Ant's problems were with the team, not Aprilia.

Finally, again as I said in my post, I wish Ant the best but his best may not be enough to keep the Kawasaki ride because that may be out of his (and perhaps Kawasaki's hands). However, if he keeps going like he is then it would be a crime if he doesn't get a ride somewhere (D'Antin, Tech3, LCR).

Like I said, I'm not sure if your post was in jest, but some people here clearly felt that I was attacking Ant which wasn't the case. Hopefully this straightens that out.

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 13:45
Im glad you wish him well Matt, but all those people that have hung crap on Ant in the past for 'having a chip on his shoulder' or 'being a whinger' should read the article in the current issue of AMCN, where he is interviewed, then re-assess their opinion..

Even more of an eye opener for me, someone who realises why he had behaved in certain ways in the past.. Top read is all ill say (if you read it Matt, you might see that Aprilia have promised him 'factory rides' in the past, 2001/2 for example, where he turned up to race one and his 'factory' team just weren't there, because they went 'bankrupt') Stick it to em Ant!

NinjaMaster
26th July 2007, 14:22
Actually Jake, Matt is right in that the Aprilia factory never offered Ant a ride in their official factory team, rather teams have been shifty by promising factory equipment and then not coming through with it, hence the teams are dodgy, not the manufacturer. Regardless, he got screwed many times but hopefully this trend has finally turned around.

tha_jackal
26th July 2007, 14:48
Noted, but when push comes to shove, Aprilia are the ones supposedly looking after their riders, providing the equipment/mechanics and making sure the deals go through...

tha_jackal
10th August 2007, 12:12
10 Aug 2007
NO REST FOR WEST

While half the paddock left Laguna Seca to spend the summer break in that bastion of decadence, Las Vegas, and Valentino’s allegedly living it up on the Med, Kawasaki factory rider, Anthony West, is busying himself at a sports centre in the British midlands.

The 26-year-old Australian is spending a week with health guru, Professor Tony Head, at Bicester in Oxfordshire, training his mind and body and getting in to shape for the rest of the 2007 MotoGP season.

"I could hardly get out of bed this morning," groans West, just a couple of days in to the brief but strenuous programme. "My legs didn’t want to move."

So what brought this about? Wouldn’t he rather be sunning himself on a beach than sweating it out on a running machine?

"Well, yeah," concedes Anthony, "but I did stay on in America for a week after the last race. My girlfriend, Belinda, and I stayed with some friends in Santa Cruz and did some surfing and stuff. They live almost right on the beach so we were just hanging out. It was good: it was the first bit of holiday I’ve had in a while."

So it’s not all been a sweat. But still, out of a three week break in an otherwise manic schedule, it takes dedication to surrender precious free time in favour of a sweaty gym and guaranteed exhaustion.

Tony explains why it was necessary:

"It’s a natural break in the season," he says, "so with no racing, there’s time to focus on what Anthony can improve upon and how. And why. There’s a lot of theory: why certain exercises are good for certain things; what food is most useful for his body and what isn’t; that sort of thing. We’re not here to hammer through some mad regime but to make sure Anthony knows what to do and what to eat and drink… With different training and practical demonstrations, he can get the gist then continue after we’ve finished without having someone standing over him, telling him what to do."

The week’s schedule is made up of five half days. Each day involves around two hours worth of theory, including the principles of training and how it can help strength, speed and endurance on the bike, then it’s off to the gym for another couple of hours to put it in to practice.

"My aim," continues Tony, "is to get him up to speed and training effectively and safely. Obviously, we can’t significantly change his overall fitness in one week but it’s all about setting him on the right course."

And the mentor seems pretty impressed with his pupil.

"Anthony seems very keen to adopt these techniques he’s being taught. His aerobic fitness is already good, and he’s got a lot of stamina, but we’re going to make it all even better. His knowledge and activity levels are improving quickly and the aim is to give him all the information he needs so he can transfer it to his racing in MotoGP."

Anthony, however, doesn’t sound quite so convinced.

"He’s trying to kill me," he remarks of Tony. "The physical training is hard work. We’re doing running, rowing, cycling, swimming, circuit training… "

Does Tony stand on the sidelines, waving his arms about and yelling instructions?

"No," grins Head. "I don’t believe in asking anyone to do something I’m not willing to do myself."

So they train together.

"… And of course, we’re not at all competitive," says Tony, slyly.

On the nutritional front, it’s all about educating Anthony to understand the difference between snacking on a muesli bar, for example, rather than a bag of crisps.

"And I’ve had to stop drinking Red Bull," says West, smirking.

But he’s already feeling the benefits.

"I never used to eat breakfast but Tony told me to start. Now, I’ll have some bread and cereal or something and yes, I can feel I’ve got more energy in the mornings. Also, it means I’m less likely to get hungry between meals and snack on the wrong kind of food. I’m also drinking a lot of water, which is definitely a good thing."

But has he ever actually felt his body suffering half way through a race?

"Occasionally, yeah. Sometimes, I feel great the whole way through but I have felt my energy levels drop before and that’s what we’re here to stop. Before, I’ve not always prepared myself properly before a race; now, I’m getting a much better understanding of what I should be doing: basically, eating the right food and making sure my body’s well hydrated."

And, for a man who takes his 800cc Ninja ZX-RR ride very seriously indeed, West is keen to get stuck in.

"The level of racing is higher now," he says. "If you want to be at the front, you’ve got to do something different: and we’re working now, in the summer break, to try and give me an advantage. Just as bodybuilders or sprinters need their own regime, in MotoGP, you’re riding at the maximum level and I need to do all this to make me faster and more consistent."

He’s hoping he’ll start feeling the advantages as early as the next round in the Czech Republic.

"Not just physically, but in my head, too. And I’ll carry on with some mountain biking and running in the few days left between leaving the UK to go home (to Austria) and going to Brno."

It’s an impressive workload but Westy does admit he needed persuading to take him away from the beach:

"I wasn’t exactly mad keen on the whole idea to begin with," he admits. "I wanted a holiday. But if you want to do well, you’ve got to sacrifice a few things and that means not partying like everyone else during the summer break."

MotoGP means too much, huh?

"Yes," says West, determinedly. "I want to be good so I’m giving it everything I can."

The Med, it seems, can wait…

"I still feel dead, though." And, with that, Tony drags him off for another 10km run…

I like the quip about Red Bull, dunno if he meant it in the way im inferring it, but they dropped him as a personal sponsor after KTM gave him the axe in 2005.. :p

burger
11th August 2007, 01:59
Thanks for that post jackal. Interesting and informative. It's great to see Ant taking this so seriously - hopefully kawasaki (and other teams) take note of that when they consider who they sign next year.

Roby44
14th August 2007, 08:11
Well I guess there will be lots of Ant fans at Turn 1 at The Island cheering him on!!

I'll be there~!!!

tha_jackal
14th August 2007, 09:56
Ill be at P.I! Dunno about turn 1 ;) but ill def be cheering the green ant on..

Roby44
14th August 2007, 11:14
But isn't that where Ant would like all his Fans to be?? Turn 1?? :confused:

NinjaMaster
14th August 2007, 11:56
Ill be at P.I! Dunno about turn 1 ;) but ill def be cheering the green ant on..
You'll love it at Doohan corner, Jake. That is where the Kawasaki Sports Riders Club member reside so you'll have plenty of Ant West support behind you. :up:

Roby44
14th August 2007, 12:02
There should be a lot of "home town" support for Ant at The Island :)

neninja
14th August 2007, 12:20
What is it about Ant West?

He's never won a championship and is probably one of the unluckiest riders I can remember with his team choices.
Yet for some reason this post has been viewed more than any other on the board.

If it was a post about either of the Troy's, Casey, Muggers, Chris V or any other Aussie rider it certainly wouldn't have been viewed over 13,000 times.

Why does Ant get so much interest?

burger
14th August 2007, 12:23
What is it about Ant West?

He's never won a championship and is probably one of the unluckiest riders I can remember with his team choices.
Yet for some reason this post has been viewed more than any other on the board.

If it was a post about either of the Troy's, Casey, Muggers, Chris V or any other Aussie rider it certainly wouldn't have been viewed over 13,000 times.

Why does Ant get so much interest?

I suspect it may have something to do with us Aussies loving to cheer for the underdog, and as you point out, Ant has suffered a lot of bad luck in terms of the rides he gets - which just adds to the underdog factor.

Plus he goes hard!

NinjaMaster
14th August 2007, 12:50
I suspect it may have something to do with us Aussies loving to cheer for the underdog, and as you point out, Ant has suffered a lot of bad luck in terms of the rides he gets - which just adds to the underdog factor.

Plus he goes hard!
Spot on burger. Ant represents little Aussie battler, nothing has been handed to him, he has earned everything he's got. And if he ever starts winning races, look out!

Roby44
15th August 2007, 02:58
Spot on burger. Ant represents little Aussie battler, nothing has been handed to him, he has earned everything he's got. And if he ever starts winning races, look out!

Bloody oath!! He starts winning races there will be NO stopping him!!