PDA

View Full Version : Ant West

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

9th November 2008, 01:06
That article in Soup isn't very flattering for Ant. He sounds like a big whiner to me. Regardless if the team did or didn't listen to him and regardless if he was right or wrong with his assessment of the bike. He just sounds like he's full of sour grapes.

I don't think this type of attitude helps Ants career at all.

Sour grapes?????.....Bull S..t!!! :arrows:
This was obviously a transcript from a recorded interview. West was being asked specific questions and gave straight-forward responses.

Would you honestly expect him not to mention that his suggested remedies were ignored and not acted on.....not by the team, but by Kawasaki... and that they subsequently conceded that he was right??????

Bloody hell......The first thing the team requires of a rider is feedback in order to improve the performance of the bike at a particular circuit and it appears that you are implying that if either the team or the manufacturer don't act on a rider's feedback and the rider later comments about being peed off by that feedback not being acted on, the rider is whining or whinging.

I doubt that any reasonable person would have expected West to provide responses to questions that did not accurately reflect his version of what took place and his opinions on the topic.

patnicholls
9th November 2008, 15:10
Anyone riding a Kawasaki this year, as for the past few years, has had a rough time of it whichever way you look at it (covered elsewhere but only the performances of Ayrton Badovini in WSB and the odd bit from Sheridan Morais in Superstock 1000 have been worthy of praise). I read a piece on a French website the other day about former Supersport race winner Yoann Tiberio (he won at Monza in 2006 for what's now the Althea Honda team) who quit his ride on a Kawasaki in Superstock because he 'couldn't see the point in riding around for 35th'.

Ant's 2009 will really be a yardstick of where he is on the world stage. A decent Honda with the team that finished third this time and is expanding means no excuses - I'd imagine top 6 in the championship would be the expectation.

Pantah Jack
14th November 2008, 05:33
That article in Soup isn't very flattering for Ant. He sounds like a big whiner to me. Regardless if the team did or didn't listen to him and regardless if he was right or wrong with his assessment of the bike. He just sounds like he's full of sour grapes.

I don't think this type of attitude helps Ants career at all.

Bloody Hell..... It was full of positives and facts. He thanked Kwaka and said he would have happily ridden for them again.
Where is the wining sour grapes etc ?

Mate they have just sacked yet he continues to say nice things about them and especially his team. The problem is the factory..... wasn't that what he was saying..?

Fair go Fatman ;)

T-D
16th November 2008, 19:24
i always love aussies because they tell it like it is.

Roby44
16th November 2008, 20:10
But some times it can get you in trouble.. ;)

tha_jackal
21st January 2009, 22:35
World Superbikes » WSS: 'At home' West continues transition.
Wednesday, 21st January 2009

Stiggy Racing's Anthony West and Gianluca Vizziello get more miles under thier belt in testing at Almeria.

Stiggy Racing's new World Supersport pairing Anthony West and Gianluca Vizziello have begun their 2009 preparations with their first pre-season test at Almeria.

Many eyes are on West, who makes a substantial step from the Kawasaki MotoGP team to Johan Stigefelt's Supersport outfit in 2009, although the test was also a chance for Vizziello to familiarise himself with his surroundings.

Battling chilly conditions around the Spanish circuit, West was nonetheless pleased with the progress made over the two days, reporting that he is feeling increasingly ‘at home' with the Honda bike.

“I'm pleased because I have been able to put down many laps over these two days and I got more and more comfortable with the track and the bike. Today was a bit colder then yesterday, which made it a bit more difficult, but I still had a good day finding myself more "at home" on the bike. I'm looking forward to next weekend and doing more testing.”

Vizziello, who raced for Berry Racing and Benjan Honda in 2008, was also satisfied with his efforts, despite spending some of the time learning the track.

“It has been a good test for us. I have never ridden here at Almeria before so, on the first day, I kind of focused on learning the track as well as my riding position. Once I got comfortable, we tried some new bike settings and adjustments. Now I'm definitely more ready and comfortable for Portimao next weekend and the first official test!”

With Siggy Honda providing close competition to the factory Ten Kate team in 2008, Stigefelt is hopeful the combination of West and Vizziello will keep them at the forefront of the title fight.

“We completed a two day test with both riders and I have to say it is looking very promising. Both the riders and the team have put in a big effort and have been working really hard these past days.

“Anthony managed to get more confident on the second day, which was very important for everyone, and he really proved his determination . Gianluca worked hard and managed to put down many laps and so now we can only improve and that's our aim for the Portimao test next weekend.”

Pantah Jack
22nd January 2009, 00:58
Jake dont you ever sleep ;)

Have ya seen any pics of the new livery?

I am well pleased he has kept #13 as superstition is for pussies and apparently #13 is favoured by southern Italians :)

Received an email from a Legal firm in QLD yesterday .... Ant has parted ways with his manager. Good riddance I say !!!!

tha_jackal
22nd January 2009, 09:50
Jake dont you ever sleep ;)

Have ya seen any pics of the new livery?

I am well pleased he has kept #13 as superstition is for pussies and apparently #13 is favoured by southern Italians :)

Received an email from a Legal firm in QLD yesterday .... Ant has parted ways with his manager. Good riddance I say !!!!

Hah, sleep is for the weak ;)

No pics of the livery yet, the Stiggy website is currently under construction..

I assume some pics will emerge following the 'official' test in Portimao, starting tommorow..

Hopefully 13 will bring Ant some luck this year, not that he'll need it :D

So Barnett is gone? I wonder who is going to look after Ant now, he has made some bad decisions on his own in the past.. Mebbe he's wiser with age?

Barnett got him the Kwak gig and Yam WSS ride, so he wasn't toooo shabby... Confused..

Roby44
29th January 2009, 10:54
A friend was at Portimao for the testing and took these pictures of Ant...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/P1240732.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/P1240734.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/P1240735.jpg

tha_jackal
30th January 2009, 07:43
cool thanks for sharing!

looks like stiggy are going without a title sponsor this year :(

hanspree must have jumped off board.. shame.. could that effect the quality of their machinery?

Mach24
30th January 2009, 08:27
could that effect the quality of their machinery?

The West curse strikes again?

ChrisS
30th January 2009, 09:36
cool thanks for sharing!

looks like stiggy are going without a title sponsor this year :(

hanspree must have jumped off board.. shame.. could that effect the quality of their machinery?

Hannspree has also cut down its Ten Kate sponsorship to 2 superbikes and 2 Supersports

Checa and Rea will have the Hannspree livery while Kiyo will have an HRC livery with HRC logos (but all 3 bikes will be the same)

Pantah Jack
11th March 2009, 05:08
Anthony (I just want to ride the bike) West - 3rd at Season Opener in Phillip Island.

"I am really happy with third position today. I started from 12th on the grid and got a pretty good start but got held up by Gary McCoy, which pushed me back to 14th. I knew I had to fight my way up to the front pack. The bike was working really well and on lap 19 I took the lead. I had a good battle with the Ten Kate Hondas which were slightly faster on the straight. I am very happy how things turned out today. I would like to thank the team for putting in such a great effort this weekend." - Dunno who had the biggest smile at Race end - Ant or Bracksy.

Being fortunate enough to witness the race first hand I am happy to report that Ant's ride was clearly the ride of the meeting. Coming from 14th at the end of lap 1 and he was up to 3rd by lap 8 whilst the others were conserving tyres. Ant was eatin' them in sector 4 and finished with the fastest time for that sector but was down on speed down the shute if he was not able to slipstream someone. ( having said that, Corser was unbelievable and putting on a great show for us punters around Siberia in race 2 - no traction and he had it seriously sideways and smokin' from about lap 3 )

I had a long chat with Ant on the Thursday before the race and he seems pretty happy with his new management group after canning the previous guy. There has already been a heap of reports about Ant's connection with Stiggy and that relationship may well bear fruit in 2009. The biggest thing he has to deal with is simply the major step down from a MotoGP bike. One thing for sure though is that his ego is not getting in the road. He also has a new leathers supplier after his previous supplier advised him at the beginning of the end of 2008 test that they would not be able to continue supporting him.

"Australian racer, Anthony West, signs agreement with MTECH and will get to wear the number 13 NKP leather suit; and Arzignano (firm in Vicenza, Italy - subsidiary of Gruppo Mastrotto) accessories for the entire Supersport 2009 season."

Ant will have Bernie Hatton with him for 6 or 7 rounds. Bernie was Ant's first race coach and has been involved with a truckload of Aussie top road racers over the years. I reckon this is a real step forward and have always found it hard to believe more riders do not travel with a "Riding Coach".

After speaking with a few others close to Ant over the weekend "rumour" has it that Yamaha wanted him for their super sport team but was rejected by his previous management without consulting Ant. Apparently Ant was furious when the Yamaha guys spoke to him at the 2008 test.

I for one am looking forward to the Go Cart tracks in Europe where top speed is not as big a deal as it is at THE ISLAND,

The Phantom
11th March 2009, 06:53
To be able to mix it in round 1 with the Ten Kate boys is very promising indeed. Looking forward to Losail this Saturday!

tha_jackal
11th March 2009, 12:13
I had a long chat with Ant on the Thursday before the race and he seems pretty happy with his new management group after canning the previous guy. There has already been a heap of reports about Ant's connection with Stiggy and that relationship may well bear fruit in 2009. The biggest thing he has to deal with is simply the major step down from a MotoGP bike. One thing for sure though is that his ego is not getting in the road. He also has a new leathers supplier after his previous supplier advised him at the beginning of the end of 2008 test that they would not be able to continue supporting him.

After speaking with a few others close to Ant over the weekend "rumour" has it that Yamaha wanted him for their super sport team but was rejected by his previous management without consulting Ant. Apparently Ant was furious when the Yamaha guys spoke to him at the 2008 test.

I for one am looking forward to the Go Cart tracks in Europe where top speed is not as big a deal as it is at THE ISLAND,

It would be awesome if Ant could be somehow involved with the Suzuka 8 Hour race with Honda for 09.. Like Josh Brookes was last year.. Then he could look to jump up to WSBK next year (2010) aboard a Honda, weather that's sticking with Stiggy or getting a 'promotion' with Ten Kate..

If that rumour about the Yamaha team is true, it's well and truly a disgrace.. A team of West and Crutchlow would be an amazing sight to see, i don't think Foret is going to be up to it this year..

Hopefully Stiggy can work on their top-end, if they can sort it out, there is no reason Ant shoudn't be the main man for the title this year..

Fingers crossed, just so good to see him happy again and racing for podiums, rather than trying to avoid being lapped :D

Pantah Jack
12th March 2009, 03:16
Jake , I was being polite calling it a rumour.......
nudge nudge wink wink say no more
the guy was / is an a#@%hole just took Ant a while to realise it.

Pantah Jack
12th March 2009, 03:20
To be able to mix it in round 1 with the Ten Kate boys is very promising indeed. Looking forward to Losail this Saturday!

Yea Phantom but do you remember the freight train finish at the Island last year in the 600's.

To be fair to Stiggy though they are a little better than a "privateer" team now. Haslam's results also were nothing short of sensational and he was my 2nd pick for rider of the meet.

harsha
16th March 2009, 06:57
oh..great to see a driver having such a loyal fanbase ;)

tha_jackal
16th March 2009, 09:25
so are stiggy going to get a 09 CBR this year? mr. laverty's 09 bike is soooo fast down the straights and westy really needs a horsepower boost..

Barnzii
17th March 2009, 23:52
Personally i can't wait till we get to Europe, thats when the underpowered Westy will begin to shine. He's always the quickest through the twisty parts, but loses out on top speed, as was graphically evident at Round 1, Phillip Island, and again at Losail. I wonder what odds i can get for Valencia, Magny Cours, Assen....etc etc etc.... There's little doubt who'd be winning every race if they were all running on equal machinery, we saw what Westy can do on a factory bike when he had those few ride on the then underpowered Yamaha... he absolutely smashed the Ten Kate boys senseless... i believe that was a turning point in Westy's career... i wonder where he'd be if he had stayed with factory Yamaha and won them a championship - rather than jumping on the first seat offered to him.... that piece of crap Kwakka was never going to do him any favours :-(

Barnzii
18th March 2009, 00:25
errr, i just repeated a lot of stuff thats already been said... sorry bout that. I've only just signed up today, and being a huge Ant west fan, searched for his name immediately and found this thread - had to add my 2 bob right away, without even reading previous posts... whoops !
I knew Ant had been having probs with his manager - to the point where he had to get rid of him.... but woah ! any wonder, the guy sounds like a right royal tool !
Anyway, looking forward to further discussions on my favourite rider.

Rod Richardson
18th March 2009, 03:26
Welcome aboard Barnzii.........Don't worry about repeating repeating information.

It's all hypothetical at this stage of the season but I reckon if they can get a few more km/h out of the Stiggy Honda and West keeps his cool, he will be consistently up at the pointy end and by the silly season will most likely have a few different offers on the table.
Having said that, my best bet is that if he does achieve that level off success, the loyalty issue with Stiggy himself and the $s involved would then be the determining factors as to whether he makes a move.

Pantah Jack
6th April 2009, 00:09
Anthony West, P2;

"I came here to win this race and am a bit disappointed that I got beaten in the last lap after leading most of the race. But it is definitely a better result then the last race in Qatar where I got beaten by all the others. My mechanics have put a lot of time and work into developing the new engine and the new bikes we got for this weekend and today shows how strong and competitive the bike really is. For the next race we will work on further improving the engine to prepare us even better for the next race. I was so close today and now I just want to win. I like the track in Assen and am eager to take victory there."

tha_jackal
6th April 2009, 01:15
great result for Ant at Valencia after the dissapointment of Qatar.. glad he hasn't let it effect him mentally..

kudos to the stiggy boys..

onwards and upwards pal!

Roby44
6th April 2009, 07:58
Woo hoo Ant!!

On a roll now....

gco0307
6th April 2009, 11:40
To me (and I have said this before in various places), Supersport is ideal for West and in many a way it is a category in which he has been somewhat dominant.

Overnight was (from memory) his tenth race for 2 wins, 5 podiums and a worst of 9th, altogether not to bad considering that the figures are on two different makes of motorcycle.

For me I am pleased for West as he has talent and ability and is able to show it in SS with minimal pressure as it is not considered a 'premier' class in the same way that WSBK and MotoGP may be.

Garry

Mach24
25th October 2009, 04:06
There is a bit of talk Westy might be headed home in 2010 to try his hand at Aussie Supers on an ex Factory R1.

tha_jackal
25th October 2009, 05:41
There is a bit of talk Westy might be headed home in 2010 to try his hand at Aussie Supers on an ex Factory R1.

this would basically mean international career over for Ant.

i hope it's completely untrue. :(

CaptainRaiden
25th October 2009, 07:52
I think this was only obvious for West. He has shown absolutely nothing this year, except from the first couple of races. Laverty and Sofuoglu are also riding a Honda, and doing a much better job. Lascorz on a Kwak is doing better than him! Plus, in many races this year, McCoy riding a damn Triumph finished ahead of West.

What is his excuse this time? Whatever it is, he should have performed better on a 2009 spec Honda. From the way guys hyped him up here, they almost had me believing he was gonna walk the championship.

I think this was West's last chance, who IMO is highly overrated. Dunno if he's gonna stay at Stiggy next year on a Yamaha or not, but I think a number of other hungrier riders would do a much better job.

Wim_Impreza
25th October 2009, 13:41
Yes, it was a disappointing year for West but for me he deserves another chance in a WSS team next year. It should be a shame when he isn't competing in an international championship next year. Other guys were even more disappointing this year and already have a ride next year.

ShiftingGears
26th October 2009, 09:52
I think this was only obvious for West. He has shown absolutely nothing this year, except from the first couple of races. Laverty and Sofuoglu are also riding a Honda, and doing a much better job. Lascorz on a Kwak is doing better than him! Plus, in many races this year, McCoy riding a damn Triumph finished ahead of West.

What is his excuse this time? Whatever it is, he should have performed better on a 2009 spec Honda. From the way guys hyped him up here, they almost had me believing he was gonna walk the championship.

I think this was West's last chance, who IMO is highly overrated. Dunno if he's gonna stay at Stiggy next year on a Yamaha or not, but I think a number of other hungrier riders would do a much better job.

Agreed. Have never understood the hype.

patnicholls
26th October 2009, 11:22
I'll say he did pretty much as my expectation this time last year (post #735) - I said top 5/6, and he was seventh overall after the Stiggy team ran out of money meaning Foret and Pitt edged him in the end as they scored at Portimao and he wasn't there. That said, Eugene Laverty obviously had an amazing season which put all the other Hondas in the shade.

Westy seemed to go pretty well at the flowing and not-all-top-end tracks like Phillip Island and Brno, and was a bit anonymous at some of the others at times, which reflects in his position overall. It could *possibly* be argued that the Stiggy team overstretched themselves by running four bikes at the start of the year [although I think the problem was more that they got shafted by sponsors, they're clearly a decent group] which maybe meant they weren't quite as tip-top as Josh Brookes had been in 2008 for them, but then again Leon and Ant had podiums so that suggests they weren't far off the fastest things out there.

I'd say he definitely showed well enough to merit a continued international career, although I can see how you guys who fancied him for the title would be disappointed. Cal and Eugene (blowing my patriotic trumpet here) did somewhat re-write the rules on Supersport this year, mind you...

gco0307
27th October 2009, 02:53
I'll bite.

I think the criticism of West is unfair as it seems obvious given that the team could not field West in the last race that they (the team) was in a dire financial situation which, no doubt would not have appeared overnight. So, to me the chances are that the team was over stretched financially for sometime which would definitely have had an impact on their competitiveness throughout the year and a rider can only be as competitive as the equipment allows.

Yes, it is true that he was on a Honda but to assume that it was as competitive as others in the field is at best naive and at worst, well best left unsaid as again, dollars buys competitiveness and without dollars one cannot buy the services or products required.

So to me, before we 'shoot' West in this case one needs to look at the whole picture which includes the talent of West but is offset by the financial constraints of the team that seemed to have less money each round and ultimately had to forfeit a round.

Now, yes it may seem an excuse but the Stiggy team is not a factory supported outfit, nor do or did they have huge sponsorship dollars and to a degree across both SBK and SS were punching above their weight. Fact is, they punched well and landed a few blows but ultimately they got tired and lost thefight.

As for West, well despite what many seem to feel the guy has talent, plenty of talent, but he does not have an attraction to sponsors nor is he marketable so ultimately he relies on that talent to get him rides. Sadly however as we know, talent opens the door to many things and if that talent comes with some backing the doors hide larger rewards.

West is IMO a large talent, but is raw and un-sophisticated in the ways fo the race world and as such for mine he will not achieve a top ride, but instead will languish in tier 2/3.

Gaz

Mach24
27th October 2009, 03:25
West is IMO a large talent, but is raw and un-sophisticated in the ways fo the race world and as such for mine he will not achieve a top ride, but instead will languish in tier 2/3.

Perhaps a 'winning' stint back in OZ is the answer. I gotta say, riding an ASBK Spec R1 seems a dud move however.

The Phantom
27th October 2009, 07:00
I have to agree with Gaz - a great talent, an underdeveloped bike, and a career stalled by his naivity and inability to perform off the bike as well as he performs on it. Which is a shame, but you've got to be the complete package to sit at the top in the modern racing era.

I think he'd be better off going WEC racing, or a European domestic championship, than coming home.

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2009, 12:02
Agreed. Have never understood the hype.

Yep, and even after non-performing for I don't know how long, the hype still remains. Surprising.

I'll bite.

:D

Yes, it is true that he was on a Honda but to assume that it was as competitive as others in the field is at best naive and at worst, well best left unsaid as again, dollars buys competitiveness and without dollars one cannot buy the services or products required.

Too sure about these things, aren't we? Agreed that Stiggy were going through financial problems, but there is no way of knowing for sure if it was going on for a long time, especially from around early to mid-season, when West dropped off the map. Here, again, we are "assuming."

So to me, before we 'shoot' West in this case one needs to look at the whole picture which includes the talent of West but is offset by the financial constraints of the team that seemed to have less money each round and ultimately had to forfeit a round.

Now, yes it may seem an excuse but the Stiggy team is not a factory supported outfit, nor do or did they have huge sponsorship dollars and to a degree across both SBK and SS were punching above their weight. Fact is, they punched well and landed a few blows but ultimately they got tired and lost thefight.

This is not the first time in history that a rider has had to deal with underdeveloped machinery and still has to perform under pressure. The truly talented riders shine only in these circumstances. See Aoyama in 250cc. Agreed, different class, different machinery etc. but he is punching way above his weight, lone privateer Honda in the top 6, a field dominated by Aprilias, leading the championship.

So, this excuse of underdeveloped bike doesn't really stand when he had his hands on a 2009 spec CBR600RR and couldn't perform. It's not that the other Hondas got developed to a point where they were light years ahead. Especially hard to understand when Laverty challenged for the championship on a privateer Honda.

As for West, well despite what many seem to feel the guy has talent, plenty of talent, but he does not have an attraction to sponsors nor is he marketable so ultimately he relies on that talent to get him rides. Sadly however as we know, talent opens the door to many things and if that talent comes with some backing the doors hide larger rewards.

IMO he is still only extremely hyped and overrated. I heard the same things when he came to MotoGP, and before the Supersport season even started. But the truth of the matter is, if he really is as talented as you guys say, he would have a ride on the international scene for next year, sponsor or no sponsor.

I mean the guy came to Supersport from MotoGP! That's a big step down, and with this much experience (and hype), "Westy" ought to do something special even on an underdeveloped bike. These things may not be possible in car racing, but in motorcycle racing they are. Juan Lascorz is a prime example, riding brilliantly on the Kawasaki.

I still believe, IMO that another more talented, hungrier and more talented rider would have performed better on that bike.

tha_jackal
27th October 2009, 22:33
X-eccutioner. Im not even going to bother defending Ant, because you are clearly a WUM.

But for those who want to see Ant do well and believe in his ability, (See 2007 rides aboard R6) you will be happy to know he is getting a chance to test this years R6 at the current Portimao tests, once again with Wilco Zilenbergs team.

I really hope he can make the most of the opportunity.

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/superbike-wm/news/besetzungscouch-bei-yamaha-11023.html

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PA671848.jpg

tha_jackal
27th October 2009, 22:56
couple more pics.

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PA671794.jpg

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PA671788.jpg

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PA671781.jpg

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/360/PA671780.jpg

must feel weirrrd riding with crutchlows number.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2009, 07:44
X-eccutioner. Im not even going to bother defending Ant, because you are clearly a WUM.

Very mature. I enjoy intellectual discussions like these. ;)

But for those who want to see Ant do well and believe in his ability, (See 2007 rides aboard R6)

Heh, I think this is the n'th time I have heard that one. That is really ALL that Ant fans have to say for him, the rides in 2007 in SSP. Again, he didn't perform any miracles. It has been done before many times.

I remember that in 2000, a certain Hitoyasu Izutsu, wildcard rider, on a Kawasaki won both races at Sugo beating the likes of Bayliss, Corser, Edwards and Haga, the big factory boys. Yeah, Japanese rider, Japanese machine on a Japanese track from their domestic championship etc., but this was in SBK, against the regular riders with full factory support, an even harder feat to achieve.

The following year in 2001, Makoto Tamada as a wildcard did the double, albeit on a Honda, but still remarkable (Bayliss didn't even qualify in the top 16). In the same year, Ben Bostrom won 6 races (5 of them straight) out of nowhere, yeah, he had a factory Ducati, the best bike during that time, which also enabled Bayliss to win all his championships, but still what he achieved was pretty special.

So, where are all these guys now? Were they special, flukes, or just like any other rider, they need a competitive bike to perform? So, then how in blue heaven is Anthony West more talented and special than any these guys, if he still, being the demi-God that he is on this forum, in the end needs a top bike to perform? Face it, he’s just an average joe who somehow has a tremendous amount of hype behind him.

To be honest, as a racing fan, I don’t see anything special, and if I was a team boss, I would want a rider who is consistently fast in all conditions, dry or wet, not one who just wins when it’s raining, and prays for rain every time they interview him on the grid. :rolleyes:

That’s my two cents, and I guess that’s it, because it seems to offend people around here gravely for some strange reason if someone doesn’t understand the hype surrounding this overrated rider. Well, I won’t stand in the way of this hero worshipping. Carry on please. Ciao. :)

TheFamousEccles
28th October 2009, 10:07
Ok, X -ecutioner,

West needs a top bike to perform? The same could be said of anyone - take your pick of the current crop (yep, even the Doctor... even he couldn't make the Kawasaki go fast). Your argument is specious at best.

That I took time to point this out dismays me the most of all.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2009, 10:24
Ok, X -ecutioner,

West needs a top bike to perform? The same could be said of anyone - take your pick of the current crop (yep, even the Doctor... even he couldn't make the Kawasaki go fast). Your argument is specious at best.

Comparing an absolute nobody in GP racing to a 9 time world champion, and quite possibly the greatest motorcycle racer in history. This is priceless! :rotflmao:

I think most, even the non-Rossi fans will agree that what Rossi did with the 2004 Yamaha M1 (which was shyte btw) is what is called TRUE talent. "Westy" on the same bike would have finished 20th on his best day.

I really hope he gets Crutchlow's seat on the Yamaha R6 next year. I would like to see how he performs on that bike next year, whether he can win the championship or not, if he has a ride that is.

TheFamousEccles
28th October 2009, 11:12
You seem to have missed my point - stating that West seems to only be able to perform to race winning standard on a top competitive bike is a truism. One that could be said of any rider.

As for comparing West to Rossi well, I didn't actually. Maybe invoking the kawkasaki as an example was confusing for you, but the point still stands - even the greatest rider in history couldn't make it a race winning bike.

ShiftingGears
28th October 2009, 11:17
Ok, X -ecutioner,

If you define fast as significantly faster than West could go in a Kawasaki, then yes, Valentino would make it go fast.

TheFamousEccles
28th October 2009, 11:21
If you define fast as significantly faster than West could go in a Kawasaki, then yes, Valentino would make it go fast.

Yep, you are right. Maybe I should have said "race winner" :)

ShiftingGears
28th October 2009, 11:22
You seem to have missed my point - stating that West seems to only be able to perform to race winning standard on a top competitive bike is a truism. One that could be said of any rider.

As for comparing West to Rossi well, I didn't actually. Maybe invoking the kawkasaki as an example was confusing for you, but the point still stands - even the greatest rider in history couldn't make it a race winning bike.

Stoner nearly won a race in 2006 in a privateer bike, in his debut year. It was not the best bike on the grid, at all. Wests performances in MotoGP weren't of a high standard, and by his supersport results, neither were they.

TheFamousEccles
28th October 2009, 11:31
One disclaimer: IMO West has talent to burn, but the flipside is that he is a bit of a bogan and doesn't do himself any favours, presentation wise.

However, the privateer Honda is a far better ride than any iteration of the factory Kawsakis. It is a little like the factory Suzuki in that way, except even more disapointing - a company with the resources of Kawasaki Heavy Industries should be able to build a blinder of a race bike. But it's a bit of a pig - and anyone with a choice stays well clear of it, and if they dont have a choice (Melandri, Hopkins), they get away asap. Career in tatters...

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2009, 11:35

Yes? And that's what I said in my previous post. If just like any other average rider, he needs almost the best bike on the grid to perform, then I fail to understand what special talent does he possess?

People like Rossi and Stoner are a cut above the rest in this department, in that they have shone in less than perfect machinery. Rossi on the 2004 M1, and Stoner on the 2006 LCR Honda. Anyway, it's not even a comparison.

We have no way of knowing that unless Rossi rides a Kwak. I can bet that he would do a much better job than what West could ever manage.

Well, Rossi and Burgess did turn that shyte Yamaha M1 into a race winning and a championship winning machine. Given the right attention, a lot of hard work and the right funding, I am pretty sure that Kawasaki could have been world champions with Rossi.

ShiftingGears
28th October 2009, 11:43
One disclaimer: IMO West has talent to burn, but the flipside is that he is a bit of a bogan and doesn't do himself any favours, presentation wise.

However, the privateer Honda is a far better ride than any iteration of the factory Kawsakis. It is a little like the factory Suzuki in that way, except even more disapointing - a company with the resources of Kawasaki Heavy Industries should be able to build a blinder of a race bike. But it's a bit of a pig - and anyone with a choice stays well clear of it, and if they dont have a choice (Melandri, Hopkins), they get away asap. Career in tatters...

Even if he does have a lot of talent, if you want to be the best at what you do you need to harness it. He may be a good person but he does not strike me as someone who is intelligent/clever enough to understand how to harness his riding talent and take action on it.

And in this regard, I think there are many others out there riding motorbikes who are like him. They might have less or more talent but at the end of it, he really has failed to impress.

Which is why I don't understand the hype.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2009, 12:15
Even if he does have a lot of talent, if you want to be the best at what you do you need to harness it. He may be a good person but he does not strike me as someone who is intelligent/clever enough to understand how to harness his riding talent and take action on it.

Agreed 100%. There are a lot of extremely talented motorsport riders/drivers, some which are naturally talented, and some which work their butts off to become as good, if not better than the talented ones. Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are good examples of this in F1.

While once-in-a-lifetime legends like Valentino are not only extremely naturally talented, but also very hard working, and of course this excellent combination has gotten him 9 world championships.

It seems West has some talent, but that's it. Instead of working hard to develop it, he is either laid back, or spends his time whining and moaning about his equipment, or praying for rain, from what I have seen. Hardly champion material.

patnicholls
28th October 2009, 12:50
In the context of WSS 2009, he was the equal of former champions Foret and Pitt - both of whom were with better-regarded teams - so it's hardly been a disgrace by any means. There's also a comment above on Westy fading after the early rounds - not really true at all as he was second at Brno and fourth at Magny-Cours which was the second-last round of the season (and indeed, his last).

(what on earth am I doing defending him after all this time - this is bizarre! :p )

I think he has a decent amount to offer one of the top WSS teams - indeed like the Yamaha squad who are looking for at least one rider and you've gotta imagine Fabien Foret is edging closer to retirement after being pummelled by Cal this year. Eugene, Kenan and Juan Lascorz will likely be the 2010 favourites along with whoever gets the Yamaha seats and the other Ten Kate one, so he's got a chance.

harsha
28th October 2009, 18:06
It seems West has some talent, but that's it. Instead of working hard to develop it, he is either laid back, or spends his time whining and moaning about his equipment, or praying for rain, from what I have seen. Hardly champion material.

I like West but he's no championship material

Pantah Jack
30th October 2009, 06:14
Are we forgetting also:

1. Ant's results on the Kwaka in 2007 b4 they came out with the 08 piece of e ( check Gardners comments after his test on the 07 Kwaka)
2. Hoppers results on the Kwaka (and he WAS 4th in champs on the Zook )
3. Yamaha wanted him on the Yam for 2009 but for his previous manager (read tosser) who said "no thanks" without first consulting Ant

2010 is but another year !!!! We will see.

gco0307
30th October 2009, 06:48
Too sure about these things, aren't we? Agreed that Stiggy were going through financial problems, but there is no way of knowing for sure if it was going on for a long time, especially from around early to mid-season, when West dropped off the map. Here, again, we are "assuming."

Yep, quite positive actually that the cuts were not 'sudden'

Australian Anthony West has been left without a ride for this weekend's final round of the World Superbike Championship at Portimao, Protugal this weekend. More cutbacks at Team Stiggy Racing Honda have forced the team to trim the rider line up further and as a result Supersport rider West will not be able to make his planned final appearance for the team.
The 28-year-old Australian who started off the season well by finishing third at Philip Island has had a troublesome and difficult time for most of the year. Following another two podium finishes, (in Valencia and Brno) Anthony has now managed to bring home 117 points and holds a current fifth place in the championship.
“Yeah, it’s pretty bad to end a season like this but on the other hand I wasn't very motivated anymore," West said.
"We've been struggling with me getting to like the feel of the bike all year, and some races were better then others. All-in-all it's been a pretty frustrating year for us. For me, I know I can do so much better and for the team, they are also used to doing so much better in the Supersport class.
"I will now start concentrating on next year, and I will hopefully make a test in Portimao after race weekend. I will be present at Portimao all weekend and it will be hard just to watch when I should be out there racing. Still, I want to say thanks to my team and to Stiggy, we had a tough year but at the same time we had some good laughs together. For next year I'm going to try turn my luck around, maybe starting with changing my No 13," West concluded.

Team Manager Johan Stigefelt said, “Economic difficulties have made it impossible for us to finish the season the way we wanted. Yet again I have been forced to take drastic measures and had to cut Anthony for the last race. This is a very bad situation I have been put in and if I could solve the problems in a different way I would; this was really a last resort solution.
"It is not easy for me as the team manager to cut a rider but that’s the reality we find ourselves in, unfortunately. Therefore we will have to rely on Leon to do the job for us this weekend. He made fantastic debut races last year at Portimao, so I'm really hoping we can match that and take two podium finishes this weekend as our final result of what has been a very, very difficult year!

The sole rider to finish off the 2009 season for the team this upcoming race weekend in Portugal will be Superbike rider Leon Haslam. Judging from his last year’s performances, as a newcomer to the track, Leon finished in fifth and third places in race one and two respectively, so the team has high hopes for a strong finish in Sunday’s final WSB races.
“I want to go out of the season on a high with the Stiggy Team to say thank you to them for the opportunity I have had this year. We got on the podium a few times on a privateer machine and we will be going for that again in the final rounds. I rode a Honda at Portimao last year, and got a podium, so that experience should help us this weekend," Haslam said.

Source:- http://www.fullnoise.com.au/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_full&News_id=6226

As can be seen, there is constant refernce that alludes to 'ongoing/prior' issues to support the assumption that the financial problems would seem to be 'nothing new' for Stiggy.

Also, an aside is that West was actually fifth in the chase prior to the last round and finished eighth overall having been overtaken by ex-World Champions Pitt and Foret based on last round results.

Gaz

Mach24
30th October 2009, 08:13
2010 is but another year !!!! We will see.

Jack, what of the Oz Supers rumour? Heard anything?

Pantah Jack
4th November 2009, 13:17
Jack, what of the Oz Supers rumour? Heard anything?

Yep... I think he will be riding a Yamaha in Friday practice, a Honda in Saturday qualifying and a Ducati come race day (with special guest appearances in between race weekends on a Zongshen) hehe

Dunno ... wishful thinking but one never knows in this caper

Mach24
4th November 2009, 20:44
Yep... I think he will be riding a Yamaha in Friday practice, a Honda in Saturday qualifying and a Ducati come race day (with special guest appearances in between race weekends on a Zongshen) hehe

Dunno ... wishful thinking but one never knows in this caper

It's interesting, reports are surfacing that Yamaha Oz, would reconsider its withdrawl, if they had a sponsor (motoonline.com.au). Not bad for a team who pulled out just a few weeks ago......

Perhaps there are some truthes behind this. It would be a good shot in the arm for ASBK, Yamaha and hopefully Ant!

tha_jackal
4th November 2009, 22:56
as ive already stated, a move to ASBK would be career suicide for Ant, purely and simply..

he'll wind up the next gobert..

ShiftingGears
6th November 2009, 06:21
as ive already stated, a move to ASBK would be career suicide for Ant, purely and simply..

Well at least West won't end up like the filth Gobert is.

tha_jackal
10th November 2009, 23:02
for those of you interested, i got this response from Ant's web designer/PR person when i asked about his plans for 2010:-

"Hi Jake,

I met Anthony last week and he has no ride yet for 2010. His Manager is on it, but there is nothing sealed yet or official.

Therefore I cannot update his website.

I am waiting for updates and from next season on he will do his website himself.

I will try to get an official statement from either him or his manager to update his web soon.

Best regards,

Judith"

racer69
11th November 2009, 01:53

Rather than Gobert, coming home didn't do the likes of Coxhell etc any favours either.

Roby44
11th November 2009, 11:59
for those of you interested, i got this response from Ant's web designer/PR person when i asked about his plans for 2010:-

"Hi Jake,

I met Anthony last week and he has no ride yet for 2010. His Manager is on it, but there is nothing sealed yet or official.

Therefore I cannot update his website.

I am waiting for updates and from next season on he will do his website himself.

I will try to get an official statement from either him or his manager to update his web soon.

Best regards,

Judith"

Going to do his own website....thats good but will he have the time to do that......

tha_jackal
12th November 2009, 00:03
Going to do his own website....thats good but will he have the time to do that......

might have more time than ever, especially if he doesn't have a ride.. :dozey:

maybe he could start up a blog? :D

harsha
12th November 2009, 05:01
Westy as a commentator :D

tha_jackal
12th November 2009, 08:34

eheheheh.

i reallllly hope he has a ride lined up. :(

Roby44
12th November 2009, 11:50

Surely couldn't be any worse than the ones we have now.... :rolleyes:

axxexs
12th November 2009, 22:33
West is having a ride in CEV-Moto2 final at Valencia with a MZ.

tha_jackal
13th November 2009, 00:38
West is having a ride in CEV-Moto2 final at Valencia with a MZ.

Z0MG! I think Moto2 would be awesome for Ant!

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come ;)

Can you please post a source for this axxexs my man?

axxexs
13th November 2009, 22:09
Z0MG! I think Moto2 would be awesome for Ant!

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come ;)

Can you please post a source for this axxexs my man?

West was on the official list on the CEV home page. But no longer? Was there for 2 days ago!

Was on there home page http://www.cevbuckler.com under riders at Valencia in the category "Extreme" as Moto2 rides togheter with them. Was listed with a MZ-Moto2 bike.

tha_jackal
14th November 2009, 07:44
West was on the official list on the CEV home page. But no longer? Was there for 2 days ago!

Was on there home page http://www.cevbuckler.com under riders at Valencia in the category "Extreme" as Moto2 rides togheter with them. Was listed with a MZ-Moto2 bike.

darn :(

tha_jackal
14th November 2009, 12:04
update, from the horses mouth:

"Dear Jake,

I’ve checked Extreme entry list for Valencia and Ant West is on the list.

Could you please double check?

Regards,

Miriam López Manchado / CEV / Dorna Worldwide S.L.

Tel. +34 917 820 220 / Mov. +34 620 297 717 / Fax. +34 915 615 807

Pinar 7, 28006, Madrid – Spain"

so hopefully this means he will be riding :D

fingers crossed!

tha_jackal
14th November 2009, 13:59
low and behold, Ant now appears on the entry list for the final CEV race at Valencia aboard the MZ Moto2 machine..

wooop! :)

Rod Richardson
14th November 2009, 21:32
http://www.cevbuckler.com/en/inscritos.htm?cat_select=fe&name_circuit=VALENCIA_7&temporada_id=2009&lc_circuit_id=6

There's the link to his entry in Valencia on the MZ - Moto 2 machine but keep in mind that the MZ team is not on the list of Moto 2 teams competing in the 2010 world title series.

At least he will have the opportunity of showing his wares if the bike is competitive.

tha_jackal
15th November 2009, 00:07
http://www.cevbuckler.com/en/inscritos.htm?cat_select=fe&name_circuit=VALENCIA_7&temporada_id=2009&lc_circuit_id=6

There's the link to his entry in Valencia on the MZ - Moto 2 machine but keep in mind that the MZ team is not on the list of Moto 2 teams competing in the 2010 world title series.

At least he will have the opportunity of showing his wares if the bike is competitive.

MZ is actually on the Reserve Team list:

Reserve Teams:
MZ: 2
PROMORACING: 2

Promoracing are also conducting extensive testing with Joan Olive and Kenny Noyes..

Good chance that if MZ are testing, they are seriously considering participation in 2010..

Mach24
6th December 2009, 08:48
There was more talk about Ant and the Oz Yamaha team at the Island during the last round of the ASBK.

Word is they are still trying to raise some dollars based on Ant being with the team, Russell Holland is also involved in the deal.

tha_jackal
6th December 2009, 11:09
no.

Roby44
6th December 2009, 20:26
no.

Bugga....

tha_jackal
7th December 2009, 02:34
Bugga....

fingers crossed that it's bull.. pleaaaase be crap.

Pantah Jack
8th December 2009, 03:23
Ant is testing the MZ again on 9thand 10th December

tha_jackal
8th December 2009, 04:28
boo yeh!

where'd u get that info jack?

i assume it's at the valencia moto2 test?

Pantah Jack
22nd December 2009, 09:02
boo yeh!

where'd u get that info jack?

i assume it's at the valencia moto2 test?

From Ant

Pantah Jack
22nd December 2009, 09:03
He said he topped the timing sheets but not sure which day. All teams are pretty tight with testing times at the moment

tha_jackal
23rd December 2009, 12:35
He said he topped the timing sheets but not sure which day. All teams are pretty tight with testing times at the moment

when are MZ going to unveil their official prototype bodywork and stop using the modded ex-Stiggy CBR?

is Ant looking like signing for MZ for 2010? Or does he have other options?

cheers .

NinjaMaster
23rd December 2009, 23:48
I'm really hoping for Ant that the MZ team is finally the well funded, competitive team he's been searching for his whole career. Moto2 is such a mystery at the moment. Can't wait til testing starts proper next year!

tha_jackal
18th January 2010, 13:06
from a source close to ant; he has "no idea" what he is going to be riding in 2010..

i believe MZ are struggling with the search for sponsorship and keep getting bailed on at the last minute..

same ol' story unfortunately..

Roby44
19th January 2010, 07:26
It sux...
He's a great rider and person and should get a ride before some of these other "so called" good riders!!

tha_jackal
21st January 2010, 01:53
There was more talk about Ant and the Oz Yamaha team at the Island during the last round of the ASBK.

Word is they are still trying to raise some dollars based on Ant being with the team, Russell Holland is also involved in the deal.

From the horses mouth, so to speak.

"Ant West
asbk race hahaha no thanks!
maybe a V8 supercar would be nice tho!"

taken from comments on his facebook page ;)

you need a new source buddy :p

tha_jackal
21st January 2010, 02:03
another quirky note on Ant's facebook page..

he's in a relationship with a girl whose last name is Rossi!

hahaha.

Mach24
21st January 2010, 02:24
From the horses mouth, so to speak.

"Ant West
asbk race hahaha no thanks!
maybe a V8 supercar would be nice tho!"

taken from comments on his facebook page ;)

you need a new source buddy :p

Fat lady ain't sung yet!

If he has no other options (looking likely), all of a sudden ASBK starts to look appealing again. But time to source funding with Ant's name attached has probably passed now anyhow.

As for V8SC, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Roby44
21st January 2010, 11:12
another quirky note on Ant's facebook page..

he's in a relationship with a girl whose last name is Rossi!

hahaha.

And she is absolutely gorgeous and smart...

She sometimes is his brolly girl

Mach24
21st January 2010, 20:59
And she is absolutely gorgeous and smart...

She sometimes is his brolly girl

How do you know she is smart? I understand that 'gorgeousness' is skin deep, but the smarts?

Roby44
22nd January 2010, 04:19
She went to University or still is attending classes, I can't recall the course though...

NinjaMaster
23rd January 2010, 01:09
Arts degree! :rotflmao:

Sadly it looks like Ant is in the growing list of good riders without a ride this year. Tough time to be a professional motorcycle racer in these tough times of dwindling grids.

NinjaMaster
23rd January 2010, 01:10
She went to University or still is attending classes, I can't recall the course though...

Sadly it looks like Ant is in the growing list of good riders without a ride this year. Tough time to be a professional motorcycle racer in these tough times of dwindling grids.

tha_jackal
26th January 2010, 06:20
which other recent ex-motogp riders are currently unemployed?
I don't think there's many..

ozrevhead
26th January 2010, 07:33

its a world wide thing - not just motor cycles

NinjaMaster
28th January 2010, 10:56
which other recent ex-motogp riders are currently unemployed?
I don't think there's many..
Garry McCoy, James Ellison, John Hopkins only just got a ride in his national series (equivalent of West getting a 'dreaded' ride in ASBK), Alex Hoffman seems resigned to finishing as a test rider, Jamie Hacking, at the moment I can't see Mark Aitchison anywhere, current runner-up and 3rd place in ASBK Glenn Allerton and Wayne Maxwell have had to start their own teams to continue to race like Craig Coxhell did last year, except Cannonball is currently without a confirmed ride. They're not all ex-MotoGP but they're all bloody good riders.
And there's nothing surer than teams will disappear before and during the season this year. Like I said, tough time to be a professional racer (or anyone else as ozrevhead says).

NinjaMaster
28th January 2010, 10:58
Oh, forgot to mention, Ant has been listed with MZ on the Moto2 reserves list. Hope they are prepared coz I reckon there's a good chance of opportunity for them to step up.

Mach24
29th January 2010, 07:57
Ant to follow Yamaha Racing Team to the Australian Formula Extreme Championship?

He said he would not race ASBK!

Pantah Jack
30th January 2010, 02:10
Anthony West has found a job in 2010. The former 250cc, MotoGP and Supersport pilot will go into the long distance World Cup at the start. His team-mates will be the Senior TT winner on the Isle of Man, 2009, Steve Plater and Damian Cudlin. Plater will be on display this year in the British Superbike and on the Isle of Man, Cudlin will ride in the IDM. The team is headed by Michael Bartholemy, who will manage 2010 a Moto2 team. The oil company Elf, will take over the sponsorship of the Endurance team, is gone with Honda Fireblades. motorsport-magazin.com

NinjaMaster
30th January 2010, 02:23
Thanks for that Jack. I see it's on MCN too : http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/No-subsection/2010/January/jan2210-plater-and-west-head-new-world-endurance-squad/?&R=EPI-121680

World Endurance isn't really where I'd like to see him but if it's a paying job in what sounds like a good team (his teammates are certainly competitive) then I guess it's a good thing.

tha_jackal
7th February 2010, 06:07
Thanks for that Jack. I see it's on MCN too : http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/No-subsection/2010/January/jan2210-plater-and-west-head-new-world-endurance-squad/?&R=EPI-121680

World Endurance isn't really where I'd like to see him but if it's a paying job in what sounds like a good team (his teammates are certainly competitive) then I guess it's a good thing.

i dont believe this story.

see below, from facebook:

"Ant West in in italy tested a superbike but they want me to pay them so just working on that

or moto2!"

Mach24
7th February 2010, 06:27

"Ant West in in italy tested a superbike but they want me to pay them so just working on that

or moto2!"

Bryan Staring has just resigned from YRT Australia....... Ant? And it would be a paying job!

NinjaMaster
7th February 2010, 07:36

or moto2!"
Well at some stage there's going to have to be a believable story or the dude's gonna be stuck on the sidelines again. He's just going to have to take whatever he can get.

Pantah Jack
9th February 2010, 12:11
Kev Curtain has Starings Yam ride in FX

tha_jackal
9th February 2010, 12:26
Kev Curtain has Starings Yam ride in FX

any inside news on ant, jack?

you used to be the go-to man when it came to behind the scenes westy goings on. heheh.

tha_jackal
14th February 2010, 00:28
MZ retests

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/images_msa/22444_6.jpg

The group, led by Martin Wimmer and Ralf Waldmann later this week further testing in Barcelona.

In the development department and the prototype was modified in MZ in Hohndorf diligently gewerkelt. On Friday, a new development stage of the MZ Moto2 ran successfully for the first time to the test.

A newly-created metal frame forms the basis for the prototype of the MZ-Moto2. This design was developed by Martin Wimmer and his team of specialists to improve the stiffness of the MZ. This had been identified by MZ test driver Anthony West in the first tests yet.

First, the slope of Valencia on Monday and Tuesday should have been hired. But the look in an international report said, for that period, only 8 degrees and rain ahead, said Wimmer. "We have therefore postponed and will test from Wednesday to Friday Barcelona."

For the driver issue: The Australian West is still as a tester for MZ with the process of going with the option of the MZ and 2010 in the race when there is approval. West was also to be a candidate for DFX Ducati in the Superbike World Championship.

Pantah Jack
18th February 2010, 01:17
any inside news on ant, jack?

you used to be the go-to man when it came to behind the scenes westy goings on. heheh.

Hey Jake... All pretty tight lipped at the moment. Must be pissin' him off big !!

Pantah Jack
18th February 2010, 01:30

Hey Ninja.... I am not sure of the accuracy of this one but I did get it from one of Ant's former mechanics from the Kiefer Boss days so ?????? I have not had it confirmed by Ant. Bottom line as always is CASH. I know Ant is really pissed that a lot of other riders that he considers inferior (as do I) have rides in Moto2, WSBK and WSS. Worth rembering tho that Ant's Dad also pumped in a lot of cash in the early days (about 1.8mill AUD). Ant also personally stuck in 180,000 Euro (which was the cash for his "second" year KTM ride) for the Kiefer ride in 2006.

It is a pity the Moto2 grid is restricted to 40 however this has more to do with the number of bikes permitted on a lot of the tracks than anything else. I dont like the chances of any of the listed Moto2 teams pulling out now but you just never know with various "sponsors" having a habit of not making payments to teams on time etc etc ???

TIME WILL TELL

tha_jackal
18th February 2010, 03:16
jack. getting info from a german site: motorsport aktuell.
here's the latest development.

MZ: Wimmer's Emergency Plan

Should they not be accepted for Moto2, project leader Martin Wimmer has made a Plan B.

After the new MZ Moto2 on Friday, has successfully passed the test on your baptism of fire, it was shipped late on Monday evening and sent on their way to Barcelona. Ralf Waldmann and Martin Wimmer drove on the night of Tuesday to Geneva.

There, the MZ comes in a truck hired one professional test team, which has the necessary equipment such as tools, data recording and monitors available.

Ralf Waldmann will conduct the test in Barcelona starting on Thursday. There he meets on his test driver Anthony West, who comes from Italy to Barcelona. A native of West Australia and for some years in Austria, but has moved because of a relationship now his second home in Italy.

"We will be on display until Thursday at the track. Rather, it all was, unfortunately, not created." admits Martin Wimmer. "The trim parts have been painted on weekends and most recently assembled and labeled. Everything is very tight. "

"During the test days are our employees in the factory have already finished off another frame, in order to further test's to try different outcomes, this will help if Anthony once again takes to the gravel trap."

The truck comes on Friday in Barcelona. "Then we still have two days in Barcelona and drive straight on to Jerez" reveals Wimmer.

The decision for a starting spot in the Moto2 2010 falls before the official tests which on 28 February in Jerez will take place. If the decision is for the MZ to run in Moto2 is declined, the team plans to run with the MZ Moto2 in the Spanish championship.

I dont know how happy Ant would be riding in the Spanish championship, but maybe they will apply for a few full time Moto2 wildcards and he'll just have to suck it up?

It appears to be his only option unfortunately.

tha_jackal
19th February 2010, 02:53
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/Anthony+West+on+MZ+bike

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xy/2010/Moto2/n507498_west.preview_big.jpg

Rod Richardson
19th February 2010, 21:34
West 5th-.2sec at Moto2 test 19 Feb. 2010.

Results
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/report+moto2+final+day

Pantah Jack
3rd March 2010, 02:38
MZ with a declaration of war
By John and Peter Orasche Preissler
02.03.2010 11:14:18
The team led by Martin Wimmer and Ralf Waldmann wants to literally force a place in the Moto2.

The MZ-Team, with Anthony West in the saddle, shining with sixth place on the first day of testing at Valencia. Only: MZ is in the field of teams of the new class still listed as a Moto2 replacement. MZ-be boss Martin Wimmer will have none: "We constantly slap down some great times, until we have a fixed place," announced in Munich.

In Valencia, the team came up with a gain: New on board the Frenchman Martial Garcia, who has for years pushed for Kawasaki France and France recently for Yamaha in the Supersport and World Superbike scene as a team manager's own development projects.

Because of the cost-cutting measures in Europe and the French Yamaha importer country, Garcia is 2010 people are no longer in the Superbike World Championship. Last year, the team with David Checa Yamaha Ipone World Cup final ranking with 37 and four world championship points was anything but successful.

Pantah Jack
11th March 2010, 00:02
From http://www.speedweek.ch

Jerez test Moto2: day's best time for the West on MZ!
By Oliver Feldtweg 08.03.10-17:48

For the first time succeeded in MZ with the Australian test driver Anthony West, a personal best in the new Moto2 class.
The third day of the IRTA test at the Circuito de Jerez weather is standing under an unlucky star. It was still raining again, so the times remained unchanged from Sunday.

Bright spot for the MZ-Team: Anthony West saw rain on Monday with 1:56,636 min for the day's best time. "This week will decide whether we finally declared a fixed launch site for the World Cup will Moto2" MZ engineer Ralf Waldmann. "The impeccable test time should help us ..."

axxexs
11th March 2010, 08:58
Looks like the teams KINO racing and Stop & Go dont have the money for racing this years Moto2. So maybe a chans for West to race in Moto2. If MZ/West have the money.

patnicholls
11th March 2010, 12:39
Looks like the teams KINO racing and Stop & Go dont have the money for racing this years Moto2. So maybe a chans for West to race in Moto2. If MZ/West have the money.

Hmmm, yes I'd noticed they were absent from testing. Guess Kino (with Fabricio Perren aboard) weren't much of a surprise that they're missing - although I'd picked him for a Fantasy League team! - but Stop and Go are more unexpected as their riders are Hector Faubel and Ratthapark Wilairot...

tha_jackal
15th March 2010, 08:56
MZ will be there!

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/images_msa/22585_6.jpg

By John Orasche

The MZ-team led by Martin Wimmer have been fulfilled, on Sunday came from Spain the confirm a Moto2 starting spot.

Martin Wimmer in accordance with the telephonic confirmation from a launch site for his project from MZ Moto2 finally relax and plan. The troops had made at the official test at Valencia and Jerez, with Anthony West, several positive attention to himself and has now been incorporated into the permanent starter list of new Moto2 class.

Thus Wimmer Ralf Waldmann and partners have won a major stage win, after the project of the MZ-Roller-series had to be placed due to lack of bank commitments for the time being on ice. The stakes in the Moto2 class, as opposed to secured with budgets.

Even West was already committed for the entire season. Is now for the Zschoppau to produce enough parts to racing. On 26 March there in the last Jerez IRTA test before the season opener on 11 April in Doha.

Looks like Westy is back in the GP paddock :) Yey!

Rod Richardson
15th March 2010, 13:16
Great news for the team and West........fingers crossed.

gids73
16th March 2010, 11:01
West on the bike? Hope they dont run short of funds...

Pantah Jack
17th March 2010, 03:00
YEEHAA.......... FROM MOTOGP.COM

MZ Racing, who have Anthony West as their sole rider, have had their participation in the inaugural Moto2 season confirmed.

The German team, which is directed by Martin Wimmer with former rider Ralf Waldmann as his partner, have already ridden at the recent official tests at Valencia and Jerez, as well as the private test at Catalunya before that. MZ has now been made a permanent entry on the grid of the new category following the withdrawal of the Kino Racing team, who have cancelled their project due to financial problems.

The final readjustments to the Moto2 list for 2010 will see the return to the World Championship scene of experienced Australian rider West, who competed in the former 250cc class for a number of seasons on Honda, KTM and Aprilia bikes, and in MotoGP in 2007 and 2008 with Kawasaki. Absent from the Championship in 2009 West will ride the MZ chassis this year in Moto2, which proved very competitive at the official test at Valencia.

The Spanish Kino Racing team, which was preparing to compete in the new category with Argentinean rider Fabricio Perren, announced their withdrawal due to financial issues. The team were unable to complete their budget on time following the last-minute cancellation of sponsors who had been confirmed, said a team press release.

gids73
17th March 2010, 09:37
So who is gonna sponsor Ant West & the MZ team?

TheFamousEccles
17th March 2010, 09:46
Like a phoenix with a mullet, Super Westie rides again!!! I hope he wastes them all with withering speed and witty post-race repartee.

Pantah Jack
18th March 2010, 01:05
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/PantahJack/Ant%20MZ/Jerez2010Test.jpg

Pantah Jack
19th March 2010, 12:08
From Moto Matters
Submitted by David Emmett on Tue, 2010-03-16 16:06.

With the official withdrawal of the Kino Racing team from the Moto2 field yesterday comes a new opportunity. To fill the place vacated by the Argentinian rider Fabrizio Perren, the first reserve rider has been allowed onto the grid, in the shape of Ant West and the MZ team. West has been testing with MZ since last year, though the team started out with one of West's former CBR600RR Stiggy Honda Supersport machines. Since then, Martin Wimmer and former 250 star Ralf Waldmann have been working on a trellis framed prototype which West has tested at Valencia, Barcelona and Jerez.

There is a certain poetic irony to the return of the MZ name to the middle class. The former East German factory revolutionized the 250s and sounded in the two stroke era when Walter Kaaden took the technology he had learned building V1 rockets and applied it to two-stroke exhausts. After a modest debut in 1957, the factory returned with a vengeance in 1958, its two-stroke engine radicalizing engine design throughout the 1960s, eventually forcing the four strokes out of the sport. It took a rule change imposed by the MSMA to finally kill off the two strokes in the intermediate class, and the introduction of the 600cc four-stroke Moto2 bikes.

And so MZ has come full circle. Once again, a poorly funded effort with a talented rider will take on the might of the established forces in Moto2 - in as far as there can be said to be any. Indeed, Ant West is also a fitting rider for the MZ effort, having been the rider who brought the Austrian KTM team back into the 250 class. So now, West takes it upon himself to bring forward another German-speaking team and develop a brand new bike. It will be fascinating to see whether the new MZ can live up to the fame of the old name.

For those of you interested in the history of MZ and how they changed motorcycle racing, see Mat Oxley's excellent book "Stealing Speed."

gids73
19th March 2010, 20:46
Monster leathers on Ant - they from the Kwaka days...

tha_jackal
16th July 2010, 02:37
thought id revive this, for those interested. :)

West wants to push higher in Moto2

Anthony West achieved his best result of the season so far at Catalunya, where ninth place was a reward for the hard work that the Australian and his MZ Racing team have put into what has been a difficult introduction to the Moto2 class.

“When this new class started I was really excited because all the bikes were going to be quite similar, but money always plays a big part and our team doesn’t really have a lot to spend on some good parts,” explained West. “The other teams still have bikes that are a little bit better than ours, so that’s something we need to improve on and try and find some good sponsorship, but we are doing the best we can.”

The result at Montmeló in the last round was West’s first top-ten of the season and he wants to use it as a springboard for more solid results.

He continued: “For us Catalunya was like a win on this bike. Now I want to win. Even though I had one good result at Catalunya I still want to win. Top ten is not enough for me: I want to be up the front. We’re a small team and it would be nice to beat the top guys with big budgets on the bike we have got, that’s our goal. I think we can do it; we just need to go ahead with what we have.”

West and his team were present at last week’s Aragón test where they ran a new lighter chassis, which West hopes will make a difference for the remainder of the campaign.

“The biggest reason we needed a new frame was the weight of our bike. It’s more or less 18kg heavier than every other bike that’s out there and in this class every little thing makes a big difference on the track,” he said. “There’s one second between 20 guys so you need everything to be perfect and when we have 18kg on a bike we have no chance of winning. I’m happy with it so far and I just hope that it’s going to work in a race situation, which is always different from testing. So far it feels good though.”

This weekend will offer West and his team the chance to see the fruits of their labours at Sachsenring, a track the rider is looking forward to tackling.

“Germany for me is more like a home race being with this German team and a German manufacturer in MZ. I seem to have automatically gotten a huge fan base in that area so I’m looking forward to it. There are a lot of people who are still in love with the MZ brand and I hope we can put on a good show for them there. I’d love to get a good result before we go into the short holiday and then I can go and relax a bit and not stress about the season we’ve had so far,” concluded West.

Rod Richardson
16th July 2010, 06:50
Crikey....18 kilos is a lot....the equivalent 18 litres of water. The original frame was slightly "agricultural" in appearance. Great rider and I hope things are on the improve for him and the team.

tha_jackal
17th July 2010, 05:47
Anthony West: New chassis, New perspectives

After the first trial runs at the official tests in Moto2 Alcañiz last week completed the new aluminum tubular chassis of the MZ Racing team is a promising debut in a real race conditions at the Grand Prix Germany at the Sachsenring.

http://www.muz.de/images/stories/Presse_Rennberichte/west_7439_sachs_600px.jpg
The new aluminum tubular chassis - whether it is used in the race is decided depending on the weather on Saturday

Built by Frenchman Martial Garcia, a partner of MZ in Moto2 racing, is the new chassis lighter and handier than its predecessor, made of steel and shows up on the twisty Sachsenring, despite the initially modest 29th position of Anthony West as right choice.

"Anthony has just completed the first mile with this chassis at Saschsenring, and of course we still have some coordination problems. We were translated by two teeth too long, we had to adjust the position of handlebars and brake pedal, and even with the suspension still plenty of work ahead of us. But the basic right, "the team manager Peter Rubatto was confident.

This confidence was shared by MZ's Managing Director Martin Wimmer. "I was on the track and have done in the curved sections Teilstoppungen. And when Anthony was very good. He has lost on Elias and Iannone, only one tenth of a second. The overall lap time is not right yet, and that we need to analyze the data recording. But with our cornering speeds we are forefront. "

Anthony West - 29 Place in 1:27,935 min.
"We need some time for the suspension tuning. It certainly was a little early, with the new framework now compete at a Grand Prix, but we had to take that risk, because the other bike had reached his limit. We are still far from a good set-up away, but if we have only found the correct settings for the suspension will work very well, the chassis, as I am sure. The feeling is so good, but the suspension was now simply much too soft. The front wheel went under braking, the rear wheel when accelerating on block, and the whole bike surged back and forth like a seesaw - a funny feeling. But at least we know where we start tomorrow. If all goes according to plan, I can certainly keep up with the fastest group. "

apologies for the poor google translation, but you get the idea. haha.

Pantah Jack
3rd October 2010, 01:07
Been a while ........ but a few updates.
It seems Ant has some options for 2011 (what a change a year makes). He did have an offer from another German Moto2 team but declined it. Probably been a while since Ant could actually knock back a ride ;)

MZ want Ant for 2011 along with another unconfirmed rider (but one of some note!!!). Word has it that he is also on the short list for a ride with Marc VDS Racing where he would team up again with Michael Bartholemy.

Can hardly wait to leave for Sepang on Wednesday to catch up with all the goss..............

Pantah Jack
3rd October 2010, 01:09
oops... forgot to mention MZ have a new bike surfacing for the last 2 rounds. Hopefully it has some extra grunt etc etc

tha_jackal
3rd October 2010, 06:03
you mean hopefully it has some less weight ;)

make sure you post everything you hear jack, it's much obliged.

NinjaMaster
3rd October 2010, 10:14
Ant said on an interview on the MotoGP coverage today that the new bike (ie. frame) should be a lot lighter, that the current bike handles quite well but is just too heavy and it costs them a lot on acceleration.
Ant is one of the few lucky ones in Moto2 who is paid to ride by MZ, I wonder if the Marc VDS Racing offer does the same.

tha_jackal
3rd October 2010, 13:18
Ant said on an interview on the MotoGP coverage today that the new bike (ie. frame) should be a lot lighter, that the current bike handles quite well but is just too heavy and it costs them a lot on acceleration.
Ant is one of the few lucky ones in Moto2 who is paid to ride by MZ, I wonder if the Marc VDS Racing offer does the same.

where did you hear the interview ?

on one's coverage or motogp.com, i must have been asleep! haha.

NinjaMaster
3rd October 2010, 13:44
On One. He was interviewed by Steve Parrish.

Forgot to mention how jealous I am of Pantah Jack's trip to Sepang. :devil: Hope it's a ripper (and dry). :up:

Pantah Jack
4th October 2010, 12:54
On One. He was interviewed by Steve Parrish.

Forgot to mention how jealous I am of Pantah Jack's trip to Sepang. :devil: Hope it's a ripper (and dry). :up:

Wet is OK too. Especially the way Casey smashed them in the wet last year. 15 sec lead after 10 laps ..... ;)

Will be thinkin' of ya Ninja

NinjaMaster
6th October 2010, 11:29
Will be thinkin' of ya Ninja

You will not. :p

tha_jackal
13th October 2010, 08:04
where are you jack??
hanging out for this report from sepang haha :lol:

tha_jackal
15th November 2010, 08:19
from the horses mouth, so to speak:

"Ant West
no $$$ no ride!!
still trying like always
what more can i do?
any one have 300,000+ euro they don't need?!"

same old story im afraid.

NinjaMaster
15th November 2010, 08:43
No good. Particularly difficult in the current financial climate, I can understand why teams value riders who can bring extra resources to their tight budgets. Makes it difficult for riders without much backing.

tha_jackal
15th November 2010, 12:05
No good. Particularly difficult in the current financial climate, I can understand why teams value riders who can bring extra resources to their tight budgets. Makes it difficult for riders without much backing.

damian cudlin left his two cents worth:

Damian Cudlin
It's a joke isn't it...
Teams are quoting the same prices to guys that couldn't win a local club race. (i assume the likes of Faubel, etc)
Our sport is in the **** pan. Should've chosen golf mate (I wish I did sometimes).

Roby44
15th December 2010, 09:59
where are you jack??
hanging out for this report from sepang haha :lol:

Sepang was HOT.. The weather was really HOT!!

and Roby won the Moto2 race which I got to watch from his garage with his team!! I even made it to the big screen at the track ... :eek:

tha_jackal
28th January 2011, 04:42
nice to see MZ still running as such a professional and tight unit:

Ant West
Not a good start!
Packed to go to Italy
Said goodbye to my family
Got to the airport to find..
MZ booked my gf's ticket but forgot to book my ticket.
So I'm still in Oz
And going Sunday. :-/

wow.

tha_jackal
12th February 2011, 04:05
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180779_499271315994_701330994_6594278_7939022_n.jp g

Thumbs up for new MZ!

1st day on the bike was in the right direction, apart from only getting 3 hours on the bike because we only have one to share between me and Max.

We'll hopefully have another bike for the next test. The new team members are great and also the new truck box and tools make MZ feel like a real factory team, making it all a much better feeling to start the year on!

tha_jackal
12th February 2011, 04:09
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/182746_10150099737422346_175172392345_6242094_7289 917_n.jpg

'patriot'

NinjaMaster
12th February 2011, 04:31
Glad to hear it's all more positive on the inside coz the first testing times aren't all that encouraging. Early days.

Roby44
12th February 2011, 09:36
Thats the most positive Ants been in a long time. Lets hope it all falls into place this year for him....

NinjaMaster
2nd March 2011, 11:25
The good news at MZ - they are getting FTR frames to replace their own in house ones. The bad new for Ant is that they are only for Max, West has to persist with the MZ ones. Apparently once (if) the MZ one starts to perform as well as the FTR frame then Max has to swap back.

tha_jackal
3rd March 2011, 02:05
it's disgusting isn't it? MZ really are a farce..

gids73
4th March 2011, 10:51
We always new this - least Ant is still on the grid!

Rod Richardson
4th March 2011, 12:29
The positive view of this would be that MZ knows that the FTR is a better chassis than their own and want to incorporate its features into the re-design of their own chassis. However, if they find there is bugger-all difference in the performance of the bike then they will know that the lack of performance lies elsewhere.

The end result will hopefully be more competitive bikes for the entire team including Westicles.

NinjaMaster
4th March 2011, 23:39
it's disgusting isn't it? MZ really are a farce..

In fairness to MZ, it sounds like their hand has been forced by Neukirchner and the money he brings to the table. The difference between MZ and the rest of the paddock is that MZ wish to be a manufacturer again and thus want to develop their own bikes for production. They can't do this with credibility if they use someone elses frame. Of course they will have no cred if they finish last every race too...

The positive view of this would be that MZ knows that the FTR is a better chassis than their own and want to incorporate its features into the re-design of their own chassis. However, if they find there is bugger-all difference in the performance of the bike then they will know that the lack of performance lies elsewhere.

The end result will hopefully be more competitive bikes for the entire team including Westicles.

I like the thought but am not sure how it will work given the frames are completely different. MZ are trying to go with their traditional steel trellis frame where I believe FTR's is a more common aluminium twin-spar design. Kinda like Ducati getting a Yamaha frame to fix their carbon design. Hopefully MZ get it right. I'd like to see them competitive in their own right and trellis frames can be built to be competitive, seems to work for Ducati's 1098!

Pantah Jack
7th April 2011, 03:04
JEREZ RACE

I woke up this morning to find out that the weather turned out to be cold and wet, which made me a little more confident for the race because I knew , despite the bad qualifying of yesterday, I could do better.

I finished the warm up 3rd and we were ready to face a wet race in the afternoon.

Starting 30th in the grid for sure doesn't help a rider's confidence but I started the race with a great feeling after the warm up.

After just few laps I made up many positions and I was already 23rd a few minutes after the start.

Every lap I got better and better, finally reaching the 7th position with very fast lap times: I was ready to catch the rider in front of me.

Unfortunately my helmet started getting foggy because of a mistake with the front fender, which wasn't stopping the water coming up on to the exhaust headers, causing a lot of steam

that came straight to my helmet.

Soon after I wasn't able to see properly anymore, I couldn't find the braking points or see the track at all, risking to crash and I was unable to make the same lap times that I was doing before.

Consequentially I started loosing positions, until the race finished and I managed to hold on to the 11th place.

For sure still better then 30th were I started, but I am definitely not happy.

NinjaMaster
21st April 2011, 03:53
MZ have a further update for West next round at Estoril.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/engle/7/17.jpg

tha_jackal
21st April 2011, 07:19
:rotflmao:

Pantah Jack
27th April 2011, 04:12
MZ have a further update for West next round at Estoril.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/engle/7/17.jpg

Gotta love a bloke with a sense of humour. At least that bloody thing went like a shower o' s*#$

Pantah Jack
27th April 2011, 04:13
Footnote: They will have to change the number back to # 13 hehe

tha_jackal
12th May 2011, 09:34
Moto2: MZ-Pilot West now drives FTR chassis!

By Günther Wiesinger 11.05.11-11:12
The Moto2 factory team MZ continued probelms with the hotel's steel chassis. Therefore, Anthony West also runs at the French GP on FTR.

After the disappointing results at the Spanish championship race in the motor city now also increases the Australian MZ factory rider Anthony West (29) about a British FTR chassis. That's motorsport weekly SPEED WEEK reports in its latest issue.

The MZ-driver Arne death and Bernd Hiemer had landed in Aragon to the steel chassis of MZ Chatteringproblemen because only in the stands 17 and 24. Then decided Wimmer MZ-chief to send his troops to England in order to ship from there FTR chassis for West to the Le Mans GP.

Max Neukirchner who wants to go absolutely despite his broken finger suffered in Estoril in Le Mans, had exchanged his MZ-chassis in March against a FTR bike. Past Highlight: 10th place in Jerez.

"The steel chassis is Moto2 World Cup currently not operational," admitted Martin Wimmer. "We must continue to work. Therefore, we have the team for the Spanish Championship, to be able to test and develop. "

Rod Richardson
13th May 2011, 15:08
It will be interesting to see how he goes at Le Mans after a bit of time on the bike, In FP2 he and Neukirchner were approx 2 seconds down on the best time . Fingers and a couple of other things crossed.

gids73
4th June 2011, 00:31
Seems the bike is still slow at Catalunya for Ant!

tha_jackal
6th June 2011, 12:02
would help if dunlop put his tyres on the right way :P

Pantah Jack
7th June 2011, 04:14
would help if dunlop put his tyres on the right way :P

Anthony West (13): Premature rear tire wear put an end to all efforts

Anthony West's race was ruined by a tire problem. Even after a few rounds had Hinterradpneu the Australian no more grip, his lap times rose dramatically, he had no chance. "When we look at the tires after the race, we knew immediately what went wrong: It is an asymmetrical tires with different rubber compounds on the right and the left side of the tread," said Crew Chief Anthony Dwight, "Dunlop had reversed his mounted around. "

Anthony West - 22 Place
"The race was extremely bad, I served for some time even last. Later we found out that the Dunlop rear tire has been mounted the wrong way. In Barcelona we have a special tire, on the one hand, the soft rubber, harder on the other. Because the assembly was suspended by mistake, of course, the softer side the stresses of the harder rubber was designed, built the tires in the race very quickly. I had virtually no grip and was not remotely on the lap times from the training. A stupid mistake, but he has cost me the race. "

osg
26th June 2011, 01:27
Great ride last night from Westy... 21st to 4th in the wet. It's his usual display in those conditions where the field is leveled..... just needs a decent bike to compete in the dry. Unfortunately for Ant, i think that chance for a competitive ride has passed him by.......

NinjaMaster
26th June 2011, 11:33
It was a super ride for Ant last nite and after his best qualifying this year (?) hopefully he is on the up and up. Also in good MZ news, how good was his teammate coming 10th after starting 39th! I really hope they can get much stronger as a team, it's nice to have some history in the Moto2 field.

gids73
5th July 2011, 10:22
At Mugello he qualified 10th, ran 6th for 2 or 3 laps then went back to p23 very quickly!!!
Max rode well again - top 8 finish i think...

Can Ant ride in the dry anymore???

patnicholls
5th July 2011, 12:25
Max does have the 2011 FTR (with the large circular intake hole in the front), Westy has the 2010 model. The 2010 FTR was a front-runner last year but times have moved on (the Moto2 laptimes were two seconds quicker this year than last, even allowing for Iannone's easy 2010 victory).

NinjaMaster
24th August 2011, 14:09
Ex-Rainey crew chief, Warren Willing, has been announced as Ants new crew chief (http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/willing+signs+for+MZ) moving forward. In such a bleak year for him, this can only be good news. Nice to see Warren still going around too, he's forgotten more than most crew chiefs would know!

Pantah Jack
25th August 2011, 02:49
Warren Willing signs with MZ Racing Team
C/- MotoGP com
Wednesday, 24 August 2011

The renowned Australian technician returns to World Championship paddock as new crew chief for fellow countryman Anthony West.

Warren Willing, who contributed to Wayne Rainey’s three World Championship titles and played a key role when Kenny Roberts Jr. won the title in 2000, will join the MZ Racing Team as the new crew chief of Anthony West this weekend at the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.

In recent races, MZ CEO Martin Wimmer himself had temporarily filled the position as crew chief, but will now stay back in MZ’s headquarters for the strategic planning of the company’s future.

“For the next few weeks, I need to be back home at the company, where we will shape the future of MZ. At the same time, Anthony West’s results were just not good enough in dry conditions, so we needed to take action within the team”, said Wimmer. “To find an experienced technician with very special skills on the chassis side was the obvious solution. When we found out that Warren, who has a world-wide reputation in this field, was available, we didn’t hesitate.”

In his own racing career, Wimmer crossed paths with Willing only once, when he rode the prestigious 8-hours of Suzuka alongside with Australian Kevin Magee back in 1987 and steered his factory Yamaha to a triumphant victory.

But altogether, Warren Willing’s career in motorcycle racing spans more than four centuries. Willing, who is now 59 years old, started 1970 as a racer in national competitions in Australia and New Zealand before moving up to the 750 cc world championship and the famous 200 miles of Daytona. In an accident at Northern Ireland in 1979, Willing suffered severe leg injuries and was forced to retire from racing.

Two years later, his second career started as a team manager and technician. His biggest success was the triple 500cc crown of Wayne Rainey in 1990, 1991 and 1992, when he worked as a crew chief in the team of “King” Kenny Roberts, who had scored three consecutive 500cc titles himself a decade prior to Rainey. In 2000, Willing was one of the key technicians within the Suzuki factory team, leading King Kenny’s son Kenny Roberts junior to the 500 crown. From 2004 on, Willing worked as a consultant and chassis constructor for KTM in the 125cc, 250cc and MotoGP categories with riders such as Casey Stoner, Mika Kallio and Julian Simon in the 125cc class and Hiroshi Aoyama in 250cc.

TheFamousEccles
25th August 2011, 03:02
"But altogether, Warren Willing’s career in motorcycle racing spans more than four centuries."

He would be more wise than Yoda, were this the case.... :)

TheFamousEccles
25th August 2011, 03:05
However, great news for the Ant - I hope this results in either the chassis he is currently on getting a (metaphorical) kick up the arse, or binned and a decent chassis obtained. MZ are missing out on virtual gimmie World Championship points by not having Ant on a half decent bike.

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 06:31
Can Ant ride in the dry anymore???

Nope.

Rod Richardson
26th August 2011, 23:32
Captain,

Was it raining when West's time of 1.47.09 in FP2 at Indy was recorded, .805 secs (14th place) slower than quickest man Corsi ????
That was an improvement of 1.8 secs over West's FP1 time (18th spot)
Could this be a sign of progress for the new West-Willing combo? Certainly hope so.

bader
19th September 2011, 10:14
Max and his crew chief not happy Ant is swapping paint with them almost half the race at Aragon. I would have thought that was what it was all about. Whether its racing Max or anyone else the objective is the same, tough racing and never giving up . Ant 11th Max 13th.

MrMetro
13th November 2011, 10:36
Good news for all you Westy fans, he is going to be back in MotoGP next year riding a CRT!

From his offical Facebook page

Ant West signed his contract
for the 2012 season.

He will ride a CRT bike in MOTOGP !

NinjaMaster
13th November 2011, 11:55
Stoked that Ant has a ride for next year (hopefully a paying one) but would've liked to see him remain with the improving MZ team for possible Moto2 podiums next year. Oh well.

MrMetro
13th November 2011, 12:45
Stoked that Ant has a ride for next year (hopefully a paying one) but would've liked to see him remain with the improving MZ team for possible Moto2 podiums next year. Oh well.

In response to someone asking on facebook, he is riding for Speed Master.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthony-West-Official/178525528860715

(you don't need a fb account to read his page by the way)

NinjaMaster
13th November 2011, 13:15
Cheers dude. I just found that page before after I saw his old official page was, well, old and an unofficial one had no news. Glad it had a link to his website too after his old one hasn't worked for months. I wonder if he'll be lucky enough that they keep the black and fluoro yellow...

bader
23rd November 2011, 15:10
Gooday all ,just advising that fan sponsorship is available on westy's facebook site ,if anyone interested.
www.facebook.com/pages/Anthony-West-Official (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthony-West-Official)

bader
23rd November 2011, 15:16
gooday all, just available fan sponsorship on westy's face book site (ant west official ), if anyone is interested.
bader

jonny hurlock
27th January 2012, 16:54
West needs some money or he won't drive this season period.

Anthony West priced out of MotoGP | MotoGP News | Jan 2012 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/176273/1/anthony_west_priced_out_of_motogp.html)

bader
28th January 2012, 03:38
sayonara... westy...if its retirement thx for the memories

tha_jackal
8th February 2012, 10:20
Live From Pitlane » Is Ant West heading to BSB? (http://www.livefrompitlane.com/2012/02/07/is-ant-west-heading-to-bsb/)

personally im glad he's not packing it in. think he could do very well on the right bike in BSB.. plus it's a possible gateway into WSBK.

bader
9th February 2012, 12:03
hey guys if you want ant west racing this year can you go anthony west (official) facebook and click on like for his support. cheers bader

Rod Richardson
10th February 2012, 07:50
Ant West drafted into the Swan Yamaha BSB team to replace injured Ian Hutchinson - good news for Ant and sad for Ian H. A golden opportunity for West to show what he can do...........fingers crossed.
Link Westy replaces Hutchy at Swan Yamaha - Motorcycle racing news: BSB - Visordown (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-bsb/westy-replaces-hutchy-at-swan-yamaha/20039.html)

NinjaMaster
10th February 2012, 13:34
It appears West will have to keep looking as the scuttlebutt is that Haga has nipped in first on the Yamaha ride. I'm just happy he seems to have a few options available after such a late withdrawal from the MotoGP ride.

Rod Richardson
18th February 2012, 03:43
ANT WEST SIGNED UP TO RACE IN BSB ABOARD A BMW.
2012 MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship in association with Pirelli (http://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/supersonic-racing-seize-grand-prix-race-winner-west-for-mce-bsb-debut.aspx)

NinjaMaster
18th February 2012, 04:50
That's good news for Westie. Supersonic got some decent results with Maxime Berger on private Ducati in WSB last year so I'm confident they're a good outfit and with factory BMW's at their disposal they should have better machinery to work with. BSB is shaping up as another bumper year in 2012.

Rod Richardson
21st March 2012, 22:04
Supersonic Race Team Unable To Participate In BSB Testing In March

by Mark
http://www.stayontheblack.com/uploads/2012/02/graficaprovvisoria1-400x307.jpg (http://www.stayontheblack.com/uploads/2012/02/graficaprovvisoria1.jpg)The Supersonic Team BMW S 1000 RR

The Supersonic Race team have just announced that unfortunately they won’t be able to participate in the British Superbike testing on March 21st and 22nd.
The team apologise to their fans and say they will start just a few days later on the 23rd and 24th at the Racing Circuit Franciacorta in Italy.
The team say the late start of the project is the reason for the delay.
Forthcoming: official presentation of the team, graphics, sponsors AND a very important initiative…..

Rod Richardson
31st March 2012, 05:46
WHAT THE HELL?????????????????????
AND HERE'S ME THINKING HE WAS GRATEFUL THAT SUPERSONIC THREW HIM A LIFELINE. ANYONE SEEN SOME ETHICS LYING AROUND?????? DISAPPOINTED :arrows:

Ant West replaces Damian Cudlin in Moto2

Saturday 31st March, 2012[/*:m:tw5azsex]
Author: SpeedCafe ©[/*:m:tw5azsex]
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/31/ant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2/# http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/31/ant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2/# http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/31/ant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2/# http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&winname=addthis&pub=ra-4f4c53ef2c34ac3a&source=tbx-250&lng=en-US&s=google&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speedcafe.com%2F2012%2F03%2F3 1%2Fant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2%2F&title=Ant%20West%20replaces%20Damian%20Cudlin%20in %20Moto2%20-%20Speedcafe&ate=AT-ra-4f4c53ef2c34ac3a/-/-/4f7683754b81c270/1&frommenu=1&uid=4f76837583c04362&ct=1&pre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt% 26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dwest%2520cudlin%2520qmmf%26source% 3Dweb%26cd%3D4%26ved%3D0CDUQFjAD%26url%3Dhttp%253A %252F%252Fwww.speedcafe.com%252F2012%252F03%252F31 %252Fant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2%252F%26ei%3D7IF2T8DcHcqaiAeYmaHrBA%26usg%3DA FQjCNGjcNbVuwFenoHdJwVh87BDfhWG6w&tt=0 http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/31/ant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2/# http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/03/31/ant-west-replaces-damian-cudlin-in-moto2/# [/*:m:tw5azsex]
http://www.speedcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/west-344x224.jpgAnt West

Ant West is a late addition to the 2012 Moto2 World Championship field after completing a late deal to ride for the QMMF Racing Team.
West had been destined to ride for BMW Supersonic in the British Superbike Championship this season after losing a previously announced MotoGP deal with Speed Master due to a lack of budget.
The 30-year-old Queenslander replaces countryman Damian Cudlin at QMMF, after Cudlin struggled to get a handle on the Moto2 bike during pre-season testing.
According to West, the late nature of the deal will make scoring a strong result in next weekend’s season opener a difficult proposition.
“We haven’t had the chance to go through the pre-season preparations together, so we can’t expect miracles at the team’s home Grand Prix of Qatar next week,” said West.
“But I’m really excited about this opportunity and I’ll push to the maximum to get the best possible result.
“My goal is and always has been Grand Prix racing. I am sorry to turn my back on the BMW Supersonic Team, who gave me the chance to continue my career.
“At the same time, I am happy they understand my decision and I wish them all the best for this season.”
The news means that Cudlin will now focus on his Endurance World Championship duties with BMW Motorrad France, which kicks off at Magny-Cours on April 14.

Allyc85
31st March 2012, 14:34
*******, I dont think I can change him from my MCN dream team until after the second round! I hope he fails! :laugh: ;)

NinjaMaster
1st April 2012, 15:27
WHAT THE HELL?????????????????????
AND HERE'S ME THINKING HE WAS GRATEFUL THAT SUPERSONIC THREW HIM A LIFELINE. ANYONE SEEN SOME ETHICS LYING AROUND?????? DISAPPOINTED :arrows:

I'm with ya Rod. He's been bleating for years about a lack of support (with merit) and then when he's thrown a lifeline he ups and walks out for a better offer. Gonna have to put up or shut up Ant.

30th April 2012, 09:19
Hello to everybody on this fair forum. Contain me put forward myself. I am connoisseur and i am competition this site : dizi izle (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting benefit of all these friends. King Regards

30th April 2012, 09:24
Hello to everybody on this attractive forum. Group me make known myself. I am specialist and i am running this website : yayinakisi (http://www.yayinakisi.com) Waiting to all these friends. Regards