PDA

View Full Version : Ant West

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Roby44
17th May 2008, 03:55
16 May 2008
KAWASAKI DUO SEE IMPROVEMENTS AT LE MANS
Kawasaki's John Hopkins and Anthony West finished today's opening practice sessions ahead of Sunday's French Grand Prix in ninth and 16th positions respectively, after focussing on refining machine set-up during the two, one-hour track sessions.
Hopkins spent most of the two practice sessions perfecting the set-up of his Ninja ZX-RR to suit the stop-start, hard braking nature of the 4.18km Bugatti circuit. The Anglo-American ran through different tyre options with Bridgestone, lapping quickly and consistently, despite some difficulties with feeling in the front end of his machine.
Hopkins remains confident ahead of tomorrow, where he is sure that with some further refinements in the set-up of his Kawasaki, he can improve his lap time significantly. The 24-year-old Kawasaki pilot ended the day with a best time of 1'35.133, less than a second off fastest man, Dani Pedrosa.
Teammate West ended the practice sessions in more confident mood compared to previous rounds. The Australian, who makes his Le Mans debut on a MotoGP machine this weekend, feels more comfortable on his Ninja ZX-RR, after Kawasaki's engineers made minor changes to the power delivery of their 800cc, inline four-cylinder engine.
While he was unhappy with his finishing position today, West admitted he was able to lap more consistently and he remains confident that, tomorrow, he can improve on his final lap time of 1'35.877. The 26-year-old is aware of the particular areas of the track where traction issues are slowing him down, and the Kawasaki pilot is hoping that with the data collected today the team can continue making improvements during tomorrow's qualifying session.

John Hopkins: #21: 9th – 1'35.133
'Le Mans is a track I quite enjoy and although the position isn't where we want to be, I'm feeling confident. We've used the practice sessions today to find a tyre combination that works well in both the front and rear. At the moment we're struggling a little bit with feeling in the front-end, which is costing us time. It's nothing particularly major as we can lap quickly and consistently, but I feel that an improvement in this will reduce our lap time considerably. We have a few ideas on how to achieve this and tomorrow we'll be aiming for a good qualifying position.'

Anthony West: #13: 16th – 1'35.877
'I'm feeling a little bit more confident here today than I have in previous rounds. The circuit seems to suit our bike, as there are not so many turns here where the bike is leaned over for long periods of time, and this is where we've experienced problems in the past. We've made some alterations to my Ninja ZX-RR and I feel a lot more comfortable as I can use the bike's strength on corner entry to put together reasonable lap times. The position isn't anywhere near where we want to be, but I can lap consistently and this is a good sign as we were unable to do this before. There are two longer corners in the track where we need to improve traction, but we have some direction now and I hope we can continue with this tomorrow.'

Naoya Kaneko: Kawasaki Technical Manager
'Today we have been trying many tyre combinations that suit different conditions, as the weather here in Le Mans is very changeable. With John we have found a good set-up, although this needs to be refined in order for him to achieve the position we are looking for. Anthony is making steps forward and his lap times are much more consistent. We have altered the power delivery of his machine, which has made a big difference and the aim is to build on this further during tomorrow. We still have a lot of work to do but I am confident we can gain a good result here.'

Practice Times:
1. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1'34.227; 2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +0.049; 3. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha +0.060; 4. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +0.260; 5. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.403; 6. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha +0.659; 7. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini +0.820; 8. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda +0.846; 9. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +0.906; 10. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini +1.012; 16. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1.650

NinjaMaster
17th May 2008, 10:24
Only a second and a half from the leader is a massive improvement from Ant and hopefully it can continue. Day 2 is starting off damp so who knows.

Mach24
18th May 2008, 05:11
Now the team are asking the tough questions of Ant.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/163466-0/west_needs_to_change.html

maxu05
18th May 2008, 14:23
Another bad race from the Ant, it's not looking any better. I think he should just go out there and not give a flying ..... ,(insert word of choice). That has always served him in the past and it could be the attitude that can get him closer to the front. Just a thought.

Roby44
18th May 2008, 14:25
For sure.. Its got to that stage now hasn't it?? Just get out there and go for it, he has more to win than lose.

Roby44
18th May 2008, 23:49
18 May 2008
BAD LUCK DOGS KAWASAKI AT LE MANS
Despite a strong start to today’s French Grand Prix at Le Mans, Kawasaki’s John Hopkins saw any chance of a top five finish disappear just after the halfway point in the race, when the chain on his Ninja ZX-RR snapped without warning.
The 24-year-old Anglo-American had fought his way through into seventh place during the early stages of the race and was closing rapidly on the battle for fifth when the incident occurred. It was a bitterly disappointed Hopkins who was forced to park the chainless bike against the Armco barrier and walk back to the paddock.
It is the first time that such a failure has occurred, despite many miles of testing and racing. Kawasaki’s race engineers will now return with the chain to Japan, where they will work with the manufacturer to identify exactly what caused the chain to fail under race conditions.
With Hopkins out of the race, it was left to Anthony West to carry the flag for Kawasaki, but the 26-year-old Australian had his own problems to contend with. From the start of the 28-lap race, West was struggling with a severe lack of rear grip that saw his Ninja ZX-RR spinning up on the gas out of every turn.
In characteristic style, West refused to be defeated by the problem, and his dogged determination saw him eventually finish in 14th position, for which he was rewarded with two valuable championship points.
It was a frustrated West that returned to the Kawasaki pit box to demand answers from his crew, who were quick to identify the cause as a problem with the set-up of his Ninja ZX-RR.
Both Kawasaki riders leave Le Mans disappointed, but determined to make amends in the next race at Mugello, which takes place in just two weeks time.
Anthony West: 13 - 14th Position
“I am not happy at all. This weekend has been a struggle, because we’ve had the same rear traction problems that we’ve experienced at every track since the start of the season. But then, in the race, the rear grip was non-existent; the bike was spinning up if I even thought about opening the throttle. I knew straight away that something was wrong, but short of coming in for a change of tyre and kissing any chance of a points scoring finish goodbye, there was nothing I could do. In the end, I just did what I could to ride round the problem, but I don’t think I’ve ever been as happy to see the chequered flag as I was today. Now I want to know what the problem was, and I want to be sure that we don’t have the same problem again.”

John Hopkins: #21 - DNF
“After practice and qualifying I really thought we could come away from Le Mans with a good result, which makes today even more frustrating. I got a pretty good start, and was then able to make up places by passing on the brakes, but there are still a number of areas where we’re losing out, on acceleration out of the turns for example, and this makes it difficult to make a pass stick. It’s no fun holding off someone like Lorenzo for a whole lap, only to see him motor past you as soon as you get onto the straight. We need to work on these areas, starting with tomorrow’s test, and we need to make some improvements if we’re to increase our competitiveness. As for the chain, I guess that was just bad luck. Now we need to find out why it failed, so we can avoid the same problem in the future. Finally, I’d like to apologise to Loris for the pass I put on him, which was a little bit hard. Sorry Loris!”

Michael Bartholemy: Kawasaki Competition Manager
“It has been a frustrating weekend for everyone, but we can’t allow our heads to drop as a result of the problems we faced today. John started well, and was closing on the battle for fifth place when his chain snapped, putting him out of the race. Obviously, we need to identify what caused the failure so that we can avoid the same problem in the future. To Anthony I’d like to apologise, because the difficulties he experienced today were due to a miscalculation on the part of the team. He showed true determination this afternoon by riding around the problem to finish the race, and for that he should be commended. Some very important lessons have been learnt this weekend, and while it may have been a painful learning process, this experience will only make us stronger as a team. Now we need to focus on Mugello, where we must realise the full potential of our riders and our Ninja ZX-RR.”

MotoGP Race Result:
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha 44'30.799; 2. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +4.997; 3. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha +6.805; 4. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +10.157; 5. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +21.762; 6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JIR Team Scott +22.395; 7. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +27.806; 8. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +27.995; 9. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda +29.334; 10. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini +30.822; 14. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1'29.307; DNF. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +12 Laps

tha_jackal
19th May 2008, 08:55
As bad as Ant's race appeared to be, as posted above, it was accentuated by a technical glitch, he can't buy a break at the moment can he :(

maxu05
19th May 2008, 12:47
It sounds like the team F..... up. An apology to Ant from the team principle, Wow.

ZX7Robert
21st May 2008, 15:50
Sorry if this has been noted already, but aren't Kawasaki still using the odd-fire "screamer" engine? It would certainly explain the lack of grip; that's why every other team has given up on it, if I remember correctly.

maxu05
21st May 2008, 16:29
No, Kawasaki has only tested the "Screamer". They have not yet raced it. To my knowledge, the screamer is an even firing engine, producing more revs, correct me if I am wrong though.

T-D
21st May 2008, 19:45
btw, i think that this test has been the closest ant has been to hopkins (and the rest of the grid) since well before the season began.

signs of progress, i hope.

tha_jackal
22nd May 2008, 10:54
here here!!

Pantah Jack
24th May 2008, 07:58
Interesting article from Colin Young in "The Go" section of latest AMCN

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/PantahJack/scan0001-2.jpg

Well pleased to see someone else has recognised the detrimental effect of Ant's man......

Bartholemy seems also to recognise that riders need maybe a bit more than "just get on the bike and make it go fast". Still one of the few sports around where there a very few coaches on the ground.

Mach24
24th May 2008, 11:05
Ant may need coaching, as many riders do.

However, the first target for any rider is his team mate.

I'm an Aussie and wish Ant well..... But I am disappointed.

Ant has reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession, he should also be at the top of his game performance wise.

Lets face it, this is Ant's chance and he can not afford to miss it. Has too much damage been done already?

fatman
24th May 2008, 13:39
I know Ant is one of the more popular riders for forum members. Over the years we have seen Ant race in a variety of teams under a variety of circumstances. Each time that Ant fails to meet expectations it is common for arguments to be made that "if only he had a good team" or "if only he had a good bike" or "if only he was able to test first" and now "if only he had coaching".

Is it at all possible that Ant just doesn't have what it takes ?

maxu05
24th May 2008, 14:39
You do make a good point Ryan. We have seen many riders come into motogp over the years, and when they don't perform over a certain amount of races, we say " off with his head" . It pains me to say it, but, Westy needs a miracle IMO. Bayliss got chopped, and you certainly can't knock his pedigree. Edwards is only just starting to get results, and you cannot knock his past record. Westy needs to fire within the next 2 or 3 races, or, his fate will be sealed IMO. He may get a good ride in WSS, or perhaps in WSBK, but, I think his days are numbered in Motogp, unless, as I said before, he pulls a rabbit from you know where.

Mach24
25th May 2008, 03:17
unless, as I said before, he pulls a rabbit from you know where.

............... His hat?

Roby44
25th May 2008, 04:58
unless, as I said before, he pulls a rabbit from you know where.

............... His hat?

His........boots ??

Roby44
25th May 2008, 05:07
This article might just fire Ant up...

Colin Edwards starts talks with Kawasaki

By Matthew Birt (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/)
MotoGP
23 May 2008 15:11

Kawasaki bosses will have a list of potential 2009 targets drawn up by the Catalunya MotoGP in Spain next month after it emerged Colin Edwards (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100521) held talks with the Japanese factory in Le Mans.
With John Hopkins (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100140) under contract for next season, Kawasaki (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100331) seem certain to be chasing at least one rider for 2009 given Anthony West’s (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=98796)struggles, with plans to run a third factory ZX-RR still up in the air.
Texan Edwards (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100502) currently with the Tech 3 Yamaha team as James Toseland’s team-mate, held preliminary discussions with Kawasaki (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100313) boss Michael Bartholemy in France last weekend.
Edwards (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100493), who scored his first podium of 2008 with third place in Le Mans, told MCN: “I’m not hiding anything and I spoke to Kawasaki for the first time in Le Mans but a lot has got to happen. I am looking at everything and seeing what it is out there. I’m fishing and they are fishing just seeing what is going on.”
Kawasaki manager Bartholemy said: “I have a list of people I am interested in. Sure we have a list but I am not going from one meeting to another meeting. I can wait a bit.
“I want to give a chance to Anthony and I would like to start in Catalunya. I want a clear idea then of who can be the candidates and then really go into negotiations from Catalunya.”

NinjaMaster
25th May 2008, 11:57
I know Ant is one of the more popular riders for forum members. Over the years we have seen Ant race in a variety of teams under a variety of circumstances. Each time that Ant fails to meet expectations it is common for arguments to be made that "if only he had a good team" or "if only he had a good bike" or "if only he was able to test first" and now "if only he had coaching".

Is it at all possible that Ant just doesn't have what it takes ?

It is possible that Ant doesn't have what it takes to be at the pointy end of MotoGP. I think the thing that all us Ant fnas have wanted is to see him on competitive machinery to really prove himself one way or the other, something he hasn't really been able to do since racing GP's as he's always been racing with cut price privateer teams where he's been able to mix it with a number of high-profile factory riders. He showed last year, first in supersport with Yamaha and then as a fill in with Kawasaki in MotoGP that there is talent there but this year is crucial as to his career direction. I don't think that the start of the year has made things terminal yet if within the next couple of rounds he can start mixing it with Hopkins but improvement will have to come very shortly, within the next 2-3 rounds.

Roby44
26th May 2008, 10:31
17 May 2008
KAWASAKI MEET SNIFFLES THE SNAKE
Dinner last evening in the Kawasaki hospitality unit was certainly made a little more exciting by the arrival of a very special guest, Anthony West's pet snake, Sniffles.
Sniffles has made the journey from Ant's home in Belgium to partner the 26-year-old in his racing activities at Le Mans this weekend. Although some of the Kawasaki crew were quite taken with the Kingsnake, many, including John Hopkins, were not so keen.
John's wife Ashleigh and Marketing Coordinator Maria Serrat were quick to try their hand at 'snake charming' Ant's slithering friend, who is housed in a small cage in the Aussie's motorhome during the race weekend.
Ashleigh said: "He is so cool, I don't think anyone else in the paddock has a pet like Sniffles. I really like him, he is cute in a snakey kind of way, but I don't think John is very impressed – he'd much prefer something more conventional like a dog."
Sniffles has resided with Anthony for around a year, and has reappeared recently following a three-month disappearance in the apartment that Ant and his PA Ben Skepper shared in Austria.
The metre long snake has taken his place as Ant's new travel companion following the sad death of former partner, Ninja the Iguana.

Roby44
26th May 2008, 10:32
17 May 2008
RACE ACES HEAD TO BEST WAY KAWASAKI
During their stay at Le Mans for the fifth round of the MotoGP championship, Kawasaki racers John Hopkins and Anthony West visited local French dealer 'Best Way Kawasaki' for an autograph session.
The Kawasaki Racing Team feel it's important to support such events, as ultimately it's the fans that make it possible for the team to race. 'Best Way' Kawasaki is located just outside of the Le Mans circuit, making it an ideal opportunity for the racing duo to meet with supporters of the manufacturer.
The two MotoGP pilots took time out of their busy race weekend schedule to attend the dealership, signing items and answering questions for local Kawasaki fans and customers.
A lotto draw took place, in which John and Anthony picked three winners. First prize for one lucky fan was a pair of tickets for this weekend's race. The two runner-up prizes were photo opportunities with the MotoGP stars.

Roby44
26th May 2008, 10:33
I wonder if they will do something like that here this year??

I hope Ant leaves that snake at home though :eek:

jim mcglinchey
29th May 2008, 22:51
So Edwards tenure in MotoGP just goes on and on and on now that it looks as though hes getting Wests gig. Whatever will there be to talk about when hes gone ?!

maxu05
30th May 2008, 02:04
I think Westy will score a WSS or WSBK gig next year. He has already proven that he can win over there, but, just can't make the Motogp machine work. He is one of many that have struggled with the 800cc bike, Melandri, Elias, Guintoli, de Angelis are all struggling, so he is in good company.

tha_jackal
30th May 2008, 12:29
Westy 3rd @ Mugello FP1 :D :D swear it wasn't damp ... ;)

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:25
On another forum I visit we are trying to come up with a nick name for Ant.. :s mokin:

Something with a bit of ommph to spur him on..

You know like ..The Doctor, The Kentucky Kid, Texas Tornado......

Suggestions welcome....

Mach24
8th June 2008, 11:38
WESTicles!

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:41
http://www.theyellowcommunity.com/images/smilies/LMAO.gif

http://www.theyellowcommunity.com/images/smilies/extra/x_blush.gif http://www.theyellowcommunity.com/images/smilies/extra/x_blush.gif

http://www.theyellowcommunity.com/images/smilies/extra/x_innocent.gif What ever do you mean!!

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:42
The Green Ant was being thrown around last year.. But i fear something along the lines of James Ellison II or The Backmarker might come about after the season he's having so far :s :(

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:46
Back marker!!! Poor Ant...But true...

Thats why he needs something to gee him up and give him some confidence..

Perhaps we should blind fold him and tell him ..Ant its bloody rainning again out there. and send him out..

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 11:50
To be honest, I think rain for Ant this year is worse than the dry! With his massive lack of rear traction, he fears for his life in wet conditions.. Its a lose/lost situation im afraid.. Surely the egg-heads down at team green will sort something out soon...

Roby44
8th June 2008, 11:55
Hopefully.. That is what they are getting paid for isn't it...

Roby44
8th June 2008, 14:06
Ant sounded "happy " enough after that race...

Now for the tracks he knows well.....

NinjaMaster
8th June 2008, 14:09
He knows all the tracks well, but coming up are the tracks he may have more of a base to work with from last year. Whilst 12th is better and he was closer to his teamate, he still only beat one finisher. Still need to find that piece to click to find that chunk of speed from.

tha_jackal
8th June 2008, 14:20
Mmm.. At least he seems up-beatish.. Joking on the grid and not swearing in his interviews :D Bring on Donny..

NinjaMaster
8th June 2008, 14:54
Mmm.. At least he seems up-beatish.. Joking on the grid and not swearing in his interviews :D Bring on Donny..
Always a positive. ;) I guess when you're at the bottom, things can only look up, right?

Roby44
9th June 2008, 02:24
08 Jun 2008
INJURED HOPKINS FIGHTS FOR TOP TEN
John Hopkins demonstrated true grit and determination today at the Grand Prix of Catalunya to bring his Ninja ZX-RR home in 10th position, despite carrying a back injury sustained in Friday’s practice.
Hopkins got a steady start to the 25-lap race and pushed as hard as possible, despite being unable to move around easily on his race machine, to make up positions around the 4.727km circuit. The 25-year-old Kawasaki pilot settled into a rhythm and circulated on his own for most of the race, riding through the pain barrier, to cross the line with a very creditable top ten finish.
Teammate Anthony West, who set his fastest lap of the entire weekend in the opening stages, endured a hard, race long fight with Marco Melandri to finish in a points-scoring 12th position.
The Australian switched positions with Melandri throughout the race in a nail-biting battle, but despite his persistence the 26-year-old was just beaten to the flag. West was upbeat about the result and he can now look forward to racing at Donington Park, which was where he made his premier class debut aboard the Kawasaki last season.
Depending on his condition, Hopkins will ride during tomorrow’s valuable post-race test to further develop his 800cc Ninja ZX-RR, whilst West will fly to Japan for a two-day test aimed at improving the power delivery of his machine.
John Hopkins: #21 – 10th Position
“I’m in a lot of pain right now with my injury and that was a really hard race. I tried to pass a few people at the start, but I got boxed out and I lost some ground. I pushed as hard as I could to stay with the group ahead of me, but the pain set in and I had to really focus on settling into a rhythm. It was then a case of finding a way to ride without moving around too much on the machine to finish the race, and although tenth isn’t where I want to be, in this situation I’m pleased we managed to achieve that. We still have a lot of work to do with the bike, and hopefully we can be in a good condition for the next race in Britain.”

Anthony West: #13 - 12th Position
“I rode as hard as I possibly could today and I fought hard with Marco for the entire race. I passed him into the turns on many occasions, but his machine was a bit stronger on the straights and it just meant I had a lot of work to do each time he came by. The tyre went off a little in the last few laps, which meant I just didn’t quite have enough to re-take him before the finish. I’m happy we had a good race, but we still need to make big improvements to the set-up of the bike. I’m going to Japan for a test where I hope we can try to resolve the rear traction issues I’ve been suffering, then we’ll be back in Europe preparing for Donington Park and, hopefully, we can make another step forwards there.”

“Hopefully this is a new start for us and I am happy that both riders finished the race today, as the last few rounds have been difficult. We need to concentrate on making improvements to the performance of the bike before the next race to provide the riders with the best package possible. Anthony will now spend some time testing in Japan where we have better resources to focus on improving the power delivery of his machine. John rode a hard race today with his injury and we are unsure yet if he’ll be able to complete many laps during tomorrow’s test. I hope he will be fit to ride and we can continue making steps forward, so that we can be even more competitive at Donington Park.”

Race Times:
1. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 43'02.175; 2. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha +2.806; 3. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +3.343; 4. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JIR Team Scot +10.893; 5. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha +16.426; 6. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha +21.482; 7. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +21.548; 8. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +22.280; 9. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini +22.375; 10. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +46.835; 11. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro Team +57.991; 12. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +59.168; 13. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team +1'00.779;

Roby44
9th June 2008, 07:14
Kawasaki closing in on 2009 MotoGP targets

By Matthew Birt (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/)
MotoGP
04 June 2008 13:19

will have whittled a 2009 rider shopping list down to just two riders after this weekend’s Catalunya MotoGP in Barcelona.
A short list of five riders, including struggling Aussie Anthony West, has been compiled and a final decision on who will partner John Hopkins in 2009 will be taken after the Dutch MotoGP in Assen at the end of June.
Colin Edwards is believed to be one name on Kawasaki’s hit list (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100643), with Chris Vermeulen and Andrea Dovizioso believed to be other targets.
Kawasaki team boss Michael Bartholemy refused to confirm any names in Mugello last weekend, but told MCN: “The list is finished and the final selection will be finished on Monday after Catalunya.
“We want to be down to two names by then. After Assen I will go to Japan and then we can decide.”
With Kawasaki (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100331) still to commit to running a third motorbike in 2009, Bartholemy denied Edwards would be shrugged aside if the factory remained a two-rider effort.
Some Kawasaki (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Shared/PageTemplates/Article.aspx?id=100313) management are believed to oppose to having two American riders, but Bartholemy added: “It is not a big advantage for the market to have two American riders but if our management says its okay for us I think he is very good to develop a bike and he has a lot of experience.
“I think that would be a benefit for us but we haven’t talked about money and signing. But he could be interested and I said to him we could be interested in having a rider with his experience.”
Edwards began tentative discussions with Kawasaki in Le Mans last month.

Pantah Jack
9th June 2008, 07:35
Pondering Points:

Interesting article recently in AMCN where JB et al at Yamaland suggested their main aim for 2008 was to initially make the M1 more like the Ducati in terms of weight dist etc. Obvious reason being that the Bridgies had been developed around the Ducati.

Ant's problems began towards the end of last season after a particularly impressive beginning to his second motogp career. I for one cannot help but think that as the Bridgies evolved around Ducati so Kwakas rear traction dramas increased. Sure de Puniet was at times quick last season however finsihing races is king. All thru testing Ant continued to struggle with the front and rear.

Clearly a solution was / is required. JB used the KISS principle and rather than re-invent the wheel went to something that was already working for the Ducs. They played with weight distribution, swing arm length etc etc. Maybe I over simplify, but it aint rocket science either. How do Kwaka then solve their dilema. They began with 2008 a bike that wanted to wheel stand on acceleration and had rear traction problems. Go figure that one out...... They now have a machine that doesn't want to shoot skyward out of turns and have consequently increased their traction problems both into and out of turns. Add to that the occasional loss of confidence in the front and I am surprised Ant has any hair left. Still 17th in MotoGP is better than 13th in 250cc (and WSS is big fish in little pond stuff).

My view on Hopper V Ant is simply riding style. Hopper is way off the bike upper body wise so clearly his resultant lean angle is going to be slightly less all other things being equal.... and he certainly aint faster than Ant as Casey is over Marco. Ant has proved over and over that he is fast. Still well remember him leading Kenny Jnr and Criville at PI in 2001 on an under powered machine. Whilst on Marco go figure his dilema. A class act on a machine that is "manageable" by Casey.... but just aint working for Marco. His confidence must also be shoy to pieces.

Wayne Gardner observed at seasons end in 2007 that the Kwaka was about 100mm taller than other MotoGP bikes he tested. So clearly this is going to effect speed at which you can change in direction amognst other things. The main drama with Kwaka at present has nothing to do with their riders. It has everything to do with design, technology and dare I say incompetence in the guys setting the thing up. As I have said countless times .... a rider can only give so much feed back.... The problems however are obvious.... I wonder how long it is going to take them to solve them

Mach24
9th June 2008, 10:23
Prob easier to find a rider more suited to the bike (Ducati - Stoner) than build a whole new bike from the ground up to suit Ant.

tha_jackal
9th June 2008, 13:17
Pfft.. Theyve hired Ant as a rider, therefore they need to make the bike work for him, period.. Ant's style is probably very similar to 70-80% of the paddock (coming from 250cc) therefore, Kwak (which has built a bike that is$ hard pressed to suit anyone at all) will be searching for quite a while to find a suitable rider..

Maybe they need to build a decent bike first, thats the most glaring issue IMO .. Or hire a new technical staff..

Pantah Jack
10th June 2008, 03:20
Prob easier to find a rider more suited to the bike (Ducati - Stoner) than build a whole new bike from the ground up to suit Ant.

Would be interesting to see how one would go about that.......
Do you schedule a test with all your "possibilities" .... impossible
Do you employ a former 250 world champ as race / test rider.....done
Do you employ former GP winners, WSS champs or 250 runners up (McCoy / Pitt / Nakano) ..... done
Do you employ a 100 gp veteran (Hopper)..... results aint that flash

Nup !!!! you get someone who keeps it simple ..... like JB to get it right (or close to ) in the first place - dare I say maybe some Aussies who are used to thinking outside the square. It aint rocket science after all - or is it???

I'm with you Jake

ShiftingGears
11th June 2008, 03:52
Pfft.. Theyve hired Ant as a rider, therefore they need to make the bike work for him, period.

Since they are in the premier class of motorbike racing that is no longer a valid excuse for being dreadfully slower than your teammate.

Mach24
11th June 2008, 11:28
Pfft.. Theyve hired Ant as a rider, therefore they need to make the bike work for him, period.. Ant's style is probably very similar to 70-80% of the paddock (coming from 250cc) therefore, Kwak (which has built a bike that is$ hard pressed to suit anyone at all) will be searching for quite a while to find a suitable rider..

Maybe they need to build a decent bike first, thats the most glaring issue IMO .. Or hire a new technical staff..

So they will keep Ant 09' and beyond because he 'might' be good enough and start building a new bike.

Think again.

Oh by the way did you read that Hopper rode with a cracked vertebra on the weekend? And still finished ahead.

I wish Ant could do better, but I think he has peaked.

ChrisS
12th June 2008, 02:33
Still 17th in MotoGP is better than 13th in 250cc (and WSS is big fish in little pond stuff).

Though in general I agree with you I think a move to WSS would be a good thing for West.

Crash.net's Italian GP blog had a section about West

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/164103-2/crashnets_italian_gp_blog_saturday.html

So on top of no confidence to ride the bike he is worried about his financial future. WSS may be the little pond, but he can win races and make a living there.

Pantah Jack
16th June 2008, 06:19
So they will keep Ant 09' and beyond because he 'might' be good enough and start building a new bike.

Think again.

Oh by the way did you read that Hopper rode with a cracked vertebra on the weekend? And still finished ahead.

I wish Ant could do better, but I think he has peaked.

Hopper said on crash.net audio that the back is no drama as it can be completely numbed so this is not really an issue like hands / wrists etc etc.

I cannot see anyone who would be silly enough to put their hand up to ride Kwaka next year.

Also heard a rumour on Fox Sport yesterday about Vermuelen to Ducati WSBK next year (pissed off with Suzi) ???? Brendan Roberts aint doing himself any favours to get Bayliss' ride next year by chucking it down the road yesterday in WSBK SStock -- roll on the silly season !!!!!

Mach24
16th June 2008, 06:59
Hopper said on crash.net audio that the back is no drama as it can be completely numbed so this is not really an issue like hands / wrists etc etc.

I cannot see anyone who would be silly enough to put their hand up to ride Kwaka next year.

Also heard a rumour on Fox Sport yesterday about Vermuelen to Ducati WSBK next year (pissed off with Suzi) ???? Brendan Roberts aint doing himself any favours to get Bayliss' ride next year by chucking it down the road yesterday in WSBK SStock -- roll on the silly season !!!!!

Are you suggesting no one will ride the Kawasaki?

Oh and by the way Brendan Roberts won the SST race and is now second in the championship.

There was an article recently where Francis Batta suggested Suzuki MotoGP were unhappy with Chris and wanted to move him on to fit in Beni Spies.

racer69
16th June 2008, 08:38
I think Pantah was probably talking about the Assen Superstock race, the highlights of which were shown during coverage of the Nurburgring world superbikes.

T-D
16th June 2008, 21:33
i find it shocking. just shocking that hopkins with 5 years experience advantage in motogp would be faster than ant west.

ant west proved last year that he was a capable motogp rider. now with a sh!t bike, he is lost.

it happens to the best of them: see melandri and capirossi at ducati, for example.

maxu05
17th June 2008, 04:20
I must agree with you TD. Marco, Loris and Ant have all struggled to come to grips with their bikes. Loris changed bikes, and is now doing much better,(apart from his injury). Nakano was fast on the Kwak, running on Bridgestones then had a year of hell riding on Michelins. Nakano is now doing much better. Is it the tyres, the bikes, or a combination ? I think all the riders mentioned, have race winning potential, but getting everything right on the day, is the key, as well as making sure the riders are comfortable with the package as a whole.

Mach24
17th June 2008, 07:02
i find it shocking. just shocking that hopkins with 5 years experience advantage in motogp would be faster than ant west.

ant west proved last year that he was a capable motogp rider. now with a sh!t bike, he is lost.

it happens to the best of them: see melandri and capirossi at ducati, for example.

Just remind me again, how long has Ant be racing GP bikes?

I believe Ant is also 12 months into MotoGP.

The bike remains pretty much unchanged from the bike last year which was sold as a possible winner.

Perhaps the competition has stretched out a bit, but Ant needs to compete with his team mate!

T-D
17th June 2008, 12:30
Just remind me again, how long has Ant be racing GP bikes?

I believe Ant is also 12 months into MotoGP.

The bike remains pretty much unchanged from the bike last year which was sold as a possible winner.

Perhaps the competition has stretched out a bit, but Ant needs to compete with his team mate!

that bike appears to be radically different from last year's bike in it's handling (or lack thereof--specifically rear traction).

i do recall jeremy burgess stating that the kwak had race wining potential--all it needed was a top notch rider. so kwak signs a top notch rider and...the bike is nowhere close to the front. :(

there are many other things that we were sold on that have not borne themselves out: marco on a ducati would compete for a championship. loris on a suzuki would slide down the grid. and on and on and on...

i'll trust my eyes before listening to the experts, methinks.

i was watching "Faster" the other day and remember how highly praised Hopkins was when he came into motogp. he was hailed as a future champion.

does anyone believe he will ever win a championship on a kawasaki?

neninja
17th June 2008, 13:58
Supposedly the Kwak was the fastest accelerating bike on the grid last year but lacked corner speed

In trying to find corner speed they have seemingly lost the thing that made the bike work last year as it's now one of the slowest through the speed traps and it still doesn't handle and has no traction out of corners

That aside doesn't explain why Ant is often over 2s or more slower than Hopper - even when Hopper is injured.

patnicholls
18th June 2008, 00:58
I think I've put this forward before, but you could argue that Suzuki and Kawasaki were somewhat flattered last year by the majority of Honda and Yamaha riders struggling - certainly compared to how they're doing this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_season

Tech 3 were backmarkers last year with Sylvain and Makoto Tamada, and now with Michelins and Colin and JT on board they're consistent top 6 contenders.

Jorge Lorenzo has scored three-quarters as many points in 2008 so far as Colin did in the whole of last year on the second factory bike, even including a DNF and a DNS.

Two of the satellite Hondas in 2007, Nakano for JiR (now the Dovi bike, doing well in 2008) and Checa for LCR - still struggling with Randy de P - had a woeful time throughout 2007. Nicky struggled massively in 2007 until Assen - more so than this year arguably. Toni Elias had a bunch of crashes and injuries for Fousto Gresini's team which ruled him out of any contention.

All of that left only Valentino, Dani and Marco doing it for Honda and Yamaha in 07 and chances for Suzuki, Kawasaki and D'Antin to do quite well. In 2008 there are three more fast Yamahas at the front and a couple more Hondas near the pace, which will have knocked the Suzukis and Kawasakis back about four spots in the order, even if their time gap to the top has stayed constant. Loris is riding pretty well but is at the lower end of the top ten, and Chris V hasn't suddenly started riding badly (in 11th this year vs 6th overall last year). That would seem to bear out that things have got more difficult for the smaller teams.

With the best will in the world, I don't think the Kawasaki was a potential winner last year - it hasn't been at any stage since they re-entered in 2002. With Hopkins on board, it's still about as close on pace as Randy was this time last year (although both were/are not consistently on the pace) - the problem being that Westy is now a fair bit slower by comparison which seems to be down to confidence and not being able to get a satisfactory setup. It's the age-old 'thin line between clever and stupid' thing (see also M. Melandri & Ducati).

There's probably a point to this post, but I don't know what it is... :p

maxu05
18th June 2008, 05:27
S**t Happens perhaps ?

patnicholls
18th June 2008, 13:01
Something like that yeah John.

Maybe more of an observation that saying you'll move up the grid is one thing, but doing it is quite another when everyone else on the grid is doing the same...

fatman
18th June 2008, 13:31
That is a great way to summarize where Kawasaki are sitting at the moment Pat. They don't just need to improve their package they need to achieve a greater improvement than their competitors.

Bottom line is that the combination of Ant West and Kawasaki are just not competitive. I personally doubt that Ant has what it takes to compete at this level regardless of what bike he has under him. Despite having some very dedicated fans I don't see what he has done to deserve his ride. It is a big step up from riding WSS to MotoGP and even 250cc to MotoGP. Being competitive in a lower class simply does not mean you have what it takes to run with the best.

Kawasaki and Suzuki may do well to put together their own satelite teams and get more people riding, testing and developing.

maxu05
18th June 2008, 13:44
Spot on Ryan, I must say that a satelite team for both Kawasaki and Suzuki would be a step in the right direction. Shwanz is keen to run a Suzuki team, how about if Kawasaki approached Sito Pons to run a satelite team, that would help developement for both manufacturers. As for Westy, the judge is still out IMO

Pantah Jack
19th June 2008, 07:12
Are you suggesting no one will ride the Kawasaki?

Oh and by the way Brendan Roberts won the SST race and is now second in the championship.

There was an article recently where Francis Batta suggested Suzuki MotoGP were unhappy with Chris and wanted to move him on to fit in Beni Spies.

Dont get me wrong I rate Brendan but now is when decisions are being made so the pressure is right on. The race I refer to in Assen he had made one blue whilst leading shunting him back to 4th or 5th and then a lap or 2 later he chucked it, and it was still early in the race..... maybe we need to put an old head on his young shoulders :)

Interesting facts after Nurburgring......

HAT-TRICK - Pole, win and fastest lap for Brendan Roberts in the Superstock 1000 race. This is the second time in four races that the Australian has managed to record a hat-trick. Roberts currently stands at four wins, third overall in Superstock 1000 history, while Ducati scored their tenth win overall.

ROLL ON THE SILLY SEASON

NinjaMaster
19th June 2008, 13:59
i was watching "Faster" the other day and remember how highly praised Hopkins was when he came into motogp. he was hailed as a future champion.

does anyone believe he will ever win a championship on a kawasaki?

Question on Hopkins is does anyone believe he would be a champion on the Yamaha or Honda? Kwak have no chance if he wouldn't.

I think I've put this forward before, but you could argue that Suzuki and Kawasaki were somewhat flattered last year by the majority of Honda and Yamaha riders struggling - certainly compared to how they're doing this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Grand_Prix_motorcycle_racing_season

Tech 3 were backmarkers last year with Sylvain and Makoto Tamada, and now with Michelins and Colin and JT on board they're consistent top 6 contenders.

Jorge Lorenzo has scored three-quarters as many points in 2008 so far as Colin did in the whole of last year on the second factory bike, even including a DNF and a DNS.

Two of the satellite Hondas in 2007, Nakano for JiR (now the Dovi bike, doing well in 2008) and Checa for LCR - still struggling with Randy de P - had a woeful time throughout 2007. Nicky struggled massively in 2007 until Assen - more so than this year arguably. Toni Elias had a bunch of crashes and injuries for Fousto Gresini's team which ruled him out of any contention.

All of that left only Valentino, Dani and Marco doing it for Honda and Yamaha in 07 and chances for Suzuki, Kawasaki and D'Antin to do quite well. In 2008 there are three more fast Yamahas at the front and a couple more Hondas near the pace, which will have knocked the Suzukis and Kawasakis back about four spots in the order, even if their time gap to the top has stayed constant. Loris is riding pretty well but is at the lower end of the top ten, and Chris V hasn't suddenly started riding badly (in 11th this year vs 6th overall last year). That would seem to bear out that things have got more difficult for the smaller teams.

With the best will in the world, I don't think the Kawasaki was a potential winner last year - it hasn't been at any stage since they re-entered in 2002. With Hopkins on board, it's still about as close on pace as Randy was this time last year (although both were/are not consistently on the pace) - the problem being that Westy is now a fair bit slower by comparison which seems to be down to confidence and not being able to get a satisfactory setup. It's the age-old 'thin line between clever and stupid' thing (see also M. Melandri & Ducati).

There's probably a point to this post, but I don't know what it is... :p

I don't think Kawasaki and Suzuki were flattered last year, they did a good job to become more competitive against Honda and Yamaha who didn't live up to expectation. The difference this year is that both Yam and Rhonda have got things sorted and Zook and team green haven't improved more to get on terms with them.
I think the problem for both Kawasaki and Suzuki is that they are too small on the grid and suffer from not enough bikes. Like Ryan and John said, satellite teams (with factory support) I think would help. At the moment, Kawasaki have West who simply cannot get along with the bike (I have a suspicion that this years Ninja is more designed for Hopkins but it completely doesn't suit Ant's style) and Hopkins seems to be in a constant state of injury whilst Suzuki have Capirossi performing reasonably solidly and Vermeulen having an 'anything that could go wrong is going wrong' type of season. With only 2 riders, it means there is much narrower margin for error. Yamaha last year is a good example. If Rossi didn't do well, they were pretty much nowhere. This year the load has been spread much further and if one does bad, there are others to pick up the slack. They also have 4 very good riders which is also quite critical to good performance (obviously). It would be great to see a Pons Kawasaki team and an Aspar or Schwantz Suzuki satellite teams to fill out the grid a bit.

NinjaMaster
20th June 2008, 13:59
From the MotoGP website.

Donington visit provides litmus tests for Kawasaki duo
Tuesday, 17 June 2008

For John Hopkins and Anthony West, this weekend´s visit to Britain will be something of a moment of truth.

The bwin.com British Grand Prix will provide resolution to two pending issues for the Kawasaki Racing team, particular to riders John Hopkins and Anthony West. The former will find out just how much his back injury –suffered in a crash at the last round in Catalunya- has healed, whilst the latter will discover if a testing trip to Japan has helped to resolve his rear grip problems with the Ninja ZX-RR.

`In the lead up to the last two races I had been training very hard so thankfully I haven´t lost any fitness, which is always a problem when carrying injuries, and I've had the chance to rest to help the healing process,´ says Hopkins ahead of the Donington date. The Anglo-American gritted his teeth through a one day post-race test in Barcelona, with a view to a positive result at this latest race.

` I´m still very stiff and sore, but Donington Park is like a home away from home, and it's a track I definitely enjoy. For me the British race is one of the biggest races of the season, with many members of my family coming to support me, and regardless of my injury I´ll be looking to gain a strong result aboard the Kawasaki.´

Under pressure to perform one year on from his Kawasaki debut, West is riding for his future at every round of the 2008 season. The rain may, as it did last year, play into the Australian´s hands at Donington Park, and his visit to the land of the rising sun last week was devised with the purpose of preparing him for this and future outings.

`After Catalunya I flew to Japan to complete two days of intensive testing. Unfortunately the first day was rained off, but we managed to get quite a few laps in on day two and the results were positive. We focussed particularly on changing the engine settings to improve the overall handling of the machine and we found a set-up direction that's very different from what I´m used to,´ says an optimistic West.

`The bike felt really good, but the track had a lot more grip in comparison to those we race on in MotoGP, so the real test for the changes we´ve made will be this weekend at Donington Park. Last year we gained a strong result during my first outing on the Ninja ZX-RR and I hope that with the work we´ve done in the last week, we can be back where we belong in the top ten.´

NinjaMaster
20th June 2008, 14:02
And after first practice, Westy's Japan test seems to be bearing fruit finishing 13th, slightly under 1.5 seconds behind fastest man, Stoner. Not where he'd like to be but something to hopefully build on.

maxu05
20th June 2008, 15:13
Fingers crossed for him

T-D
20th June 2008, 19:14
as shown so far this weekend, when the bike is right, west can fight.

hey, i like that. i might trademark it even... :)

NinjaMaster
21st June 2008, 00:25
as shown so far this weekend, when the bike is right, west can fight.

hey, i like that. i might trademark it even... :)
You're a poet and you didn't know it!

West is officially on the improve with 2 'good' practice sessions in a row. Now begins the fightback. :up:

maxu05
21st June 2008, 00:28
Go Westy :up:

NinjaMaster
21st June 2008, 00:33
At the world superbikes at the island, I bought my little sister a Kawasaki bear, she named it Westy! :) His fanbase is growing by the minute! :D

Pantah Jack
21st June 2008, 07:01
"Ant's" comments after day 1 Donington

`Finally I can say that we´ve managed to make a real step forward with the rear traction problems we have suffered with for so long. The recent test in Japan was positive and this has been proven on the track today, as we´re not so far off the pace. The setting we have found does mean the bike now wheelies more, however this is much easier to deal with than not being able to exit the turns. We still need to improve the first part of corner exit, but the rear is gripping much better and driving forward out of the turns rather than spinning so much, which means it feels a lot more controllable and stable than previously. I hope that this improvement can be reflected on qualifying rubber tomorrow, and although there is still a lot of work to do, I feel confident that we are heading in the right direction.´

Mach24
21st June 2008, 08:24
Bravo Ant!

Roby44
21st June 2008, 10:50
FP3 and Westy is on fire!!!

Roby44
21st June 2008, 10:52
Westy tops the charts!!! He has that confidence back!!

Roby44
21st June 2008, 10:54
At the world superbikes at the island, I bought my little sister a Kawasaki bear, she named it Westy! :) His fanbase is growing by the minute! :D

Great name for the little bear!! I didn't see them..I must look out at motoGP for one!!

Mach24
21st June 2008, 10:58
Great result from FP3.

What was the weather doing?

NinjaMaster
21st June 2008, 11:01
4th in FP3 - can't complain with that (though when he was in front I hoped it would last :) ). Hoping it's a wet race now! :devil:

maxu05
21st June 2008, 11:02
Great work by Ant, as well as Dovi, and Guintoli. If it rains tomorrow, it will be a real interesting race.

Roby44
21st June 2008, 11:31
The sun has started to come out!!

The BBC says rain today and for the race!!

Roby44
21st June 2008, 11:34
4th in FP3 - can't complain with that (though when he was in front I hoped it would last :) ). Hoping it's a wet race now! :devil:

Here's hoping that FP3 has given Ant a much needed confidence boost..

Towards the end there he was 1st 2 nd and then 4th!! And is ahead of Casey and Chris..and his team mate, He's got to be happy with that.

Wim_Impreza
23rd June 2008, 12:13
The BBC says rain today and for the race!!

Don't trust the BBC, it was so sunny yesterday.

I think West has done a step forwards this weekend, first time in the top 10 in qualifying and race.

patnicholls
23rd June 2008, 12:39
Yep, 10th yesterday for Westy - much more like it.

maxu05
24th June 2008, 00:16
He is showing that he is capable, and taking small steps to get back in the fight. Good effort IMO.

fatman
24th June 2008, 03:37
This weekend proved 2 things.

1) Ant found something in Japan this past week.
2) Ant needs to work on his dry qualifying. He's proved that if he can start further up the grid he's not just going to fade to the back. He's been riding at the back because he's been starting at the back.

I often don't give Ant that much credit, but this weekend he's proved that his season is not over just yet and he hasn't given up so perhaps we (me) shouldn't give up on him (just yet).

maxu05
24th June 2008, 04:19
You would make a fine politician Ryan :laugh:

Roby44
24th June 2008, 07:38
Like My Roby, Ant gives his all each and every time he takes to the track..

So I'll keep on supporting Roby and Ant no matter what happens or where they might be on the grid or leaderboard..

I know they both have it in them to WIN and one day they will !! ;)

maxu05
24th June 2008, 11:20
That's the spirit :)

tha_jackal
24th June 2008, 12:04
Have to say, well chuffed to see Ant happy after a race.. Hope he keeps progressing at a track he loves, in Assen.. ;) Goooo Ant :D

maxu05
24th June 2008, 15:01
I thought you would be pleased Jake, just hope the lad can give us more of the same, or better, :)

Roby44
24th June 2008, 23:59
That's the spirit :)

The Famous Aussie Spirit!! ;)

maxu05
25th June 2008, 15:49
Famous Aussie Spirit ? That would be Bundy :)

Roby44
26th June 2008, 04:17
Famous Aussie Spirit ? That would be Bundy :)

And they say I have a problem!! ;) :)

maxu05
26th June 2008, 04:25
:) :beer: :)

Roby44
29th June 2008, 04:52
That darn Bear "won" last night!! :dozey:

Roby44
29th June 2008, 04:55
Published: 28 Jun 2008
After the disappointment of the qualifying crash that sidelined John Hopkins, the Kawasaki Racing Team were dealt a double blow at Assen today when Anthony West crashed out of the Dutch TT just 7 laps into the race.

The 26-year-old Kawasaki pilot got a good start from the sixth row of the grid, but lost contact with the group ahead of him after losing time avoiding Alex De Angelis, who highsided himself out the race on the opening lap, right in front of West's Ninja ZX-RR.

With his head down and his lap times the same as the riders battling for fourth place, West fought his way back to 11th position and was starting to close the gap to the group ahead of him. Another top ten finish looked a distinct possibility for the Kawasaki pilot, until he lost the front under braking for the right-hand corner at Stekkenwal and crashed out of the race.

With Hopkins already on his way back to America for further medical treatment by the time West lined up to start the 26-lap race, the Australian's premature exit marks the first time this season that a Kawasaki has not made it all the way to the chequered flag.

While obviously disappointed with today's result, West remains confident that the recent engine upgrades to his Ninja ZX-RR will allow him to make amends in the next race in Sachsenring, which takes place in just two weeks time.

Whether Kawasaki teammate Hopkins will be riding alongside West in Germany remains to be seen. The 25-year-old Anglo-American will undergo a bone scan in Los Angeles next week that should reveal more about his two tibia fractures and the crack in the lateral malleolus bone of his ankle, sustained when he collided with the tyre wall on the outside of the ultra-fast Ramshoek corner.

Only once the full extent of Hopkins' injuries are known will a decision be made as to whether he will rejoin West for the German Grand Prix in Sachsenring.

Anthony West: #13 - DNF
"I got a good start to the race, although it was difficult from so far back on the grid because the first turn is quite tight. I had made up a few places when Alex de Angelis highsided in front of me and I had to almost stop the machine to avoid hitting him. The bike was feeling good and in the next few laps I managed to pass a few people into 11th place. I was sure I could catch the group ahead of me and be well within the top ten, but we were lapping at a similar pace and with the incident at the start, I had to push just that little bit harder. Unfortunately I lost the front of the bike and crashed out, which is a real disappointment because we were quite strong today. The new engine upgrades have made a difference and we still have more grip than previously, despite struggling a little bit in places with cornering. We just need some luck on our side and, hopefully, we'll be fighting for good positions next time out at Sachsenring."

"We've made a lot of improvements this weekend, so it is quite disheartening to come away with no points. John's injuries from the crash yesterday ruled him out of the race, so all of our hopes were on Anthony, who I felt sure was capable of repeating his top-ten Donington success. The incident at turn one left him quite a long way back, but he rode hard to pass a few people into 11th place, and was catching the group ahead of him. His lap times were consistently fast and it's a real frustration because with the upgrades we've made this weekend, he was very capable of achieving a good result. We now have to focus on taking advantage of the developments we've made at the next round."

Pantah Jack
14th July 2008, 09:05
Fantastic result considering his injury.... Guts personified....This is what Ant is really all about. Mind you the other two Aussies did OK also. hehe

Anthony West – tenth

`I´m disappointed because it was possible for me to finish much higher than tenth today. I got a good start and made up lots of places in the opening laps, eventually closing onto the back of Chris Vermeulen and Alex De Angelis, who were battling for fifth place. I was pushing hard to stay with them when I lost the front under braking for the final turn. It was a stupid mistake to make, but luckily the bike wasn´t too badly damaged and I was able to rejoin the race quite quickly. From then it was just a case of getting my head down and trying to retake as many places as possible. It was quite hard, because my injured back was really sore and I couldn´t push on the left foot peg, as most of it was snapped off in the crash. ( Ant doesnt mention here but his gear lever was also only half its normal length) This is only my second top ten finish of the season but that´s no consolation when I know, but for a stupid mistake, I could have finished much higher today.´

Wonder if we will hear all about how well Ant is doing with a fractured vertebrae like we did with Hopper.......... :)

14th July 2008, 09:35
I almost took up religion to get it to rain knowing that all of the Aussie's would do well in those conditions, especially Ant West who could have done with a good placing to show his wares. Regardless, good recovery considering the matters referred to in Pantah Jack's post.

Mach24
14th July 2008, 10:47
Fantastic result considering his injury.... Guts personified....This is what Ant is really all about.

Wonder if we will hear all about how well Ant is doing with a fractured vertebrae like we did with Hopper.......... :)

You mean when Hopper beat Ant even when riding with a broken vertebrae?

Your right, they are both tough!

osg
14th July 2008, 12:47
Hmmmmm..... unfortunately i still think Ant is looking at the finish line of his MotoGP career....

Sachsenring was a perfect perfect opportunity to grab a bucketful of points and he blew it.... and management were not happy apparently.

I'd love to see him retain his ride, but geez i think he's out of time :(

Pantah Jack
16th July 2008, 06:13
Yep Yep Yep

Roll on the silly season.........

Roby44
16th July 2008, 08:50
@ Jack... Do you know something!! :eek:

tha_jackal
16th July 2008, 11:53
I still think Ant might get one more change in GP, at least with a Sattelite team.. I sure hope.. If not, a top WSBK ride shouldnt be out of the question.. As the Pantah says, bring it on!!

neninja
17th July 2008, 10:13
I think he should be aiming for a top WSB ride - get in there early while some decent seats are available - perhaps Yamaha if Corser leaves or Xaus' ride

Sadly he's not quite cut it in MotoGP despite trying 100%. On another bike than the Kawasaki who knows he might have been regular top 10 but on a bike that is clearly struggling he was always going to be up against it.

gco0307
17th July 2008, 10:56
Personally, I do not know with Ant West.

It is not to say that the guy isn't talented as IMO he most definitely has talent, just that I am not convinced that he has the type of talent to be in MotoGP (if that makes sense).

He can be blindingly fast on production based machinery (WSS 2007 anyone), but appears to lack the 'ability' (may not be the right word) to setup a MotoGP bike in the manner that he needs it. This may be more a case of issues surrounding translation between what he feels, what he wants, what he needs and the technicians ability to understand and put into actions, I do not know. But IMO it is an issue that is reflecting on himself in the MotoGP arena.

Additionally I am not convinced that he is getting the necessary support at Kawasaki and feel that he would be best to look elsewhere but that he is (or at least will be) tainted by the poor performances to date (people always overlook Hopkins).

IMO, were West to go back to a production based formula (WSBK/WSS) he owuld be World Champion within 3 years as these bikes definitely appear to suit his ability and style far more that the 'touchy' MotoGP.

Garry

Roby44
17th July 2008, 11:10
If he had stayed there in 2007 he may well have won the title then..

as can be seen by this below... After 3 races Ant was 5th..

Rider Standings 17/06/2007

Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points

1, Kenan Sofuoglu, Honda, TUR, 161
2, Fabien Foret, Kawasaki, FRA, 100
3, Katsuaki Fujiwara, Honda, JPN, 77
4, Robbin Harms, Honda, DNK, 70
5, Anthony West, Yamaha, AUS, 66 http://www.docwa.com.au/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
6, Barry Veneman, Suzuki, NED, 50
7, Broc Parkes, Yamaha, AUS, 47
8, Massimo Roccoli, Yamaha, ITA, 46
9, Gianluca Nannelli, Ducati, ITA, 43
10, Andrew Pitt, Honda, AUS, 40

Food for thought...

Yes I am a bit of a Westy fan.. ;)

Mach24
20th July 2008, 03:13
West simply needs to keep hacking away this weekend.

pardon the pun.

NinjaMaster
20th July 2008, 12:10
Sorry Mach but I simply can't pardon that pun, it's really terrible. :)
Unfortunately this weekend really looks like the death knell to his MotoGP career (if it hasn't sounded already) where he's really up against it again. I don't think there could be a worse track to be injured at as Laguna just gives the riders no rest anywhere with no real straights to speak of. Unless some unbelievable increase of pace comes from somewhere that can see West in the top 8 regularly then probably A top WSS ride or WSB privateer ride would be his likely destination which is a shame coz I rate him as highly as Chris Vermeulen who I think is too good for those championships.

T-D
21st July 2008, 02:20
i gotta tell ya, as a fan of ant west, today i almost cried watching that race. i had such high hopes entering the season, but the results the last 2 weeks have absolutely gutted him. he is the kwack version of melandri--absolutely no confidence. 2 secs a lap slower than the wildcard rider is as low as it gets in motorsports.

let's turn our attention to planning ant's next career move, shall we?

i guess it's back to wss. hopefully he can pick himself up there and move his career forward.

ShiftingGears
21st July 2008, 02:28
Doesn't seem to know what it takes to be fast in motoGP, so he doesn't get into positions that offer the good points. And when he's gifted these positions, he messes it up. MotoGP really isn't the place to fix those errors.

gco0307
21st July 2008, 07:53
i gotta tell ya, as a fan of ant west, today i almost cried watching that race. i had such high hopes entering the season, but the results the last 2 weeks have absolutely gutted him. he is the kwack version of melandri--absolutely no confidence. 2 secs a lap slower than the wildcard rider is as low as it gets in motorsports.

let's turn our attention to planning ant's next career move, shall we?

i guess it's back to wss. hopefully he can pick himself up there and move his career forward.

I believe that he just is not a MotoGP rider and is far better suited to the production based formula. That is no slight on his riding ability which IMO allows him to ride around or through problems on the production based machines but the MotoGP bikes are far more difficult on which to ride around problems.

Basically I suspect that the MotoGP bike is affected greater by a slight change in the track/bike which woudl have a smaller effect (if indeed any) in the production based formula.

For mine, if he could get a good ride in WSBK/WSS he would do similar to what was done last year and produce spectacular results. My fear is that he will be tainted forever as a failure (unlike Melandri) and will instead find himself in lesser teams which will not be able to provide the machinery that his ability requires.

The only 'saving grace' for West may well be a low budget team in MotoGP (ie. LCR) or a testing job for an existing team/manufacturer (I suspect he may get this with Kwak)

Garry

tha_jackal
21st July 2008, 09:26
Keep in mind he was riding with fractured vertebrae today.. That can't be easy, and once you run off track and give up a whole bunch of time, im sure the pain kicks in much more and its harder to stay focused..

Its obvious Ant is struggling big time, but the Kawasaki is hands down the worst bike on the grid this year. Ant needs to get his head together over the summer break and just go hell for leather over the second half of the season..

Otherwise, its back to WSS or maybe WSBK.. Cmon Ant, chin up!

Roby44
21st July 2008, 09:59
Hopper even said that Ant's injuries were very similar to his, and he didn't race, so all credit to Ant for having a go out there.

I hope he doesn't get too dejected...we know he is a capable rider...

tha_jackal
22nd July 2008, 09:27
I just dont know how you explain the difference in Ant being damn competetive in only half a season last year and now being lapped? (broken vertebrae aside)

I think, as posted on another forum, the arrival of Hopper and his bags of cash (sponsor) have really set the teams focus on one thing, Hopper..

Hopper inherited Ant's crew from 07, the bike has been built to suit Hopper's style and Ant has had to adapt to what Hopper has requested.. It's the nature of the game I know, but i guess the key is bein able to adjust yourself, something Ant is struggling to do..

Last year, he and Randy could feed off each other as they are both smooth 250cc style racers..

Ant won't be in MotoGP next year, that's the cold hard reality.. He can only hope that a WSBK/WSS remember his ability, pick him up and give him a shot at being competetive and not hang him out to dry..

alfa155btcc
22nd July 2008, 17:34
from what i`ve seen this season he may be out the door of Moto GP next year especially if Melandri does go to Kawasaki.
:D

22nd July 2008, 23:44
I reckon that the logical step for AW should be to first satisfy himself as to whether Kawasaki intend keeping him on for '09 then, if not, go have a talk to Yamaha about getting a ride in either WSBK Superbike or Supersport before he is unloaded.

T-D
23rd July 2008, 01:51
anyway see bartholomew's quote after laguna seca that "ant needs to justify his position in motogp"?

after reading that, i'm not certain he may make it to brno.

Roby44
23rd July 2008, 10:58
Kawasaki: `West needs to work hard to justify his place in MotoGP´
Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Kawasaki Competition Manager Michael Bartholemy has warned that an improvement in form is needed from Anthony West.

Whilst the riders on form and at the head of the MotoGP World Championship classification will be making the most of the summer break to relax and recuperate, those who have struggled over the opening eleven races of the season will not have such a luxury.

Such is the case of Anthony West, the Kawasaki rider whose first full season with `Team Green´ has not reached the heights of his sterling 2007 debut. The Australian has yet to crack the top ten in 2008, and the team´s Competition Manager Michael Bartholemy has made it clear that a lot of convincing is needed if West is to stay in the series he struggled to join for so many years.

`I know Anthony is disappointed with his performance this weekend, but it´s difficult to identify exactly where his problem is at the moment,´ said Bartholemy after seeing his charge finish one lap down at the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix.

`He needs to work hard now to justify his place in MotoGP. The Kawasaki Racing Team is here to secure results, and he needs to convince us he can be a part of that. We will speak to him during the summer break to see if we can find some way of improving his form ahead of the next race.´

Previous measures taken to bring West up to speed with the Ninja ZX-RR have included an uprooting to Belgium from Austria to be closer to Bartholemy and the team, and an intensive test in Japan after the Gran Premi Cinzano de Catalunya in order to find a solution to a rear grip problem.

Kawasaki´s other regular rider, John Hopkins, is expected to return to action at Brno next month.

Mach24
25th July 2008, 08:50
Hopper even said that Ant's injuries were very similar to his, and he didn't race, so all credit to Ant for having a go out there.

I hope he doesn't get too dejected...we know he is a capable rider...

Little Johnny Hopper rode with the broken vertebrae and beat Ant. It was the leg injury that stopped Hopper!

NinjaMaster
25th July 2008, 11:39
Unfortunately for Ant, his dream chance with a factory MotoGP team this year has turned into a complete nightmare.
As Jackal said, Kawasaki were so impressed by their new star recruit, John Hopkins, development feedback that the bike was made how he wanted. Unfortunately for West, this development went in a direction that he was all at sea with. Couple that with an injury interrupted pre-season and he was already behind the eight-ball.
Finally, after weeks of really struggling, there appeared some light at the end of the tunnel with a test in Japan before Donington(?) and all-of-a-sudden Ant was able to run mid-pack pace. Not where they wanted but a huge improvement on where he had been. But then golden opportunities were wasted at Assen (baulked by a crashing DeAngelis before crashing himself from a strong position) and Sachsenring (pushed too hard and missed probable top 5 opportunity). Now he has a busted and no confidence again after a disastrous Laguna Seca and all hope seems lost for him in MotoGP.
I really hope he can land a good WSB ride next year. A factory slot at Yamaha or Suzuki would be good or at least a Sterilgarda level privateer ride. He is too good in my opinion to go to WSS where I think he would dominate, though it would be good for his confidence and lead to a top WSB ride.

Pantah Jack
28th July 2008, 05:51
Fair call re: WSS, however winning world championships ( or placing well ) attracts serious attention. Look at Pitty this year. It will be interesting to see where it takes him though. Hopefully Ant's manager is working hard behind the scenes to secure him a ride as I rekon his only chance of staying put ( if thats what he wants ) is if no one else wants the Kwak ride, and lets face it WHO WOULD?

[quote="
I really hope he can land a good WSB ride next year. A factory slot at Yamaha or Suzuki would be good or at least a Sterilgarda level privateer ride. He is too good in my opinion to go to WSS where I think he would dominate, though it would be good for his confidence and lead to a top WSB ride.[/QUOTE"]

gco0307
28th July 2008, 06:42
FWIW with regards to West's off-track excursion at Laguna Seca.

Have been reading a few forums and found an interesting comment from someone who claims to have been working the flags at the corner where West ran off the track (his quote below). In fairness he initially got the turn wrong but was corrected by another poster who also claims to have been at that point.

So I'm watching the race at T-11 when an little brown paper bag drifted ontrack, right by the apex. In the 10 seconds it took to contemplate whether or not anyones going to see it, poor Westy comes barrelling in, sees the paper bag, stands the bike up and off into the kitty litter he went!

If anyone from Team Green reads this forum, not his fault!!
assume you mean you watched this happen on the big screen you could see from where you were at T11?
I ask because I was working T6 which is the turn where this rouge bag was, a long way from T11.

As a funny bit of info, this bag came was very clearly one of the brown paper bags that we track workers get our lunches delivered in. This bag blew from turn 5 up under the bridge and settled onto the apex of 6 just as he came at it. I watched the thing as it traveled up the track from turn 5 wishing I could run out and grab it because if I was doing 140mph (one of the officials on our turn brought a radar gun and clocked them at 140 between 5 and 6) and I saw a brown bulky object in the apex of a 100 mph turn in the half second I had to make a decision I'd have stood the bike up too... sure enough a moment later West went into the gravel.

So.. whoever was working 5 and didn't put something heavy on their sandwich bag / throw it away, West is looking for youJust wanted to put this out there.

Garry

tha_jackal
14th August 2008, 06:54
Anthony West casts doubt on MotoGP future
By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

13 August 2008 12:57

Anthony West has conceded that he would sack himself if he was running Kawaski’s factory MotoGP squad!

The Aussie has had a torrid time during his first full premier class campaign and Kawasaki bosses will tell the 27-year-old he will be axed for 2009.

Being dumped will hardly be a shock given his poor form, not least to West, who told MCN: “I’d like to stay at Kawasaki but with the results so far I can’t imagine it is going to happen.

"If I was the boss of Kawasaki and my riders were coming last, you blame the bike or the rider and it is always the rider they blame first. That’s my own personal feeling.”

Almost resigned to his fate, West said he hadn’t started considering his options for next season, but he added: “I haven’t really started looking yet. If I’m out I’ll try and find another ride in MotoGP, and if I still can’t find one then I’ll try and go to World Superbikes. And if I can’t find a good there, it looks like I might have the option of getting on the Yamaha 600 again.”

West won two races for Yamaha in World Supersport before landing his dream MotoGP break with Kawasaki halfway through 2007.

He said a return though would be a last resort. “It is stressful enough just trying to get this bike up the front so I’m not trying to think about next year. It is too depressing thinking about riding a 600 again so I want to focus on the rest of the year.”

West said the struggles encountered by John Hopkins proved the 2008 factory ZX-RR had not improved as fast as its rivals, and that finding a suitable replacement will be tough.

“Who are they going to find that’s going to be any better? There are not that many riders who can ride these bikes and everything is so close it is not like I’m far off. Even if they find a better rider they want too much money.

"I’m cheap and money is a real big part of it, “said West, who added: “I don’t want to say the bike is because it still a good bike and they are still trying to develop it the best they can. But John is not doing what he did last year.

"Last year he was always challenging for the top five but this year he’s been struggling for the top ten.”

Pretty typical honest assesment.. Interesting to see where he ends up next year..

NinjaMaster
14th August 2008, 11:02
The end to this season will be crucial to his ride next year. Remaining in MotoGP would appear the longest of longshots unless top 6 or 8 finishes magically start happening (which I soo badly wish would happen). But regardless, he needs to show some speed even to get a half-decent WSB ride or his last resort Yamaha WSS ride may be his best option.

The Phantom
14th August 2008, 15:27
I hope Westy and Hopper are working together in developing the bike - both of them need it to be better to save their respective careers (although Hopper is a lot less likely to lose his seat).

Kawasaki needs a Jeremy Burgess or a Warren Willing or a Livio Suppo...

T-D
16th August 2008, 04:58
barthomelew stated that he wanted to have the '09 rider situation resolved by this sunday (brno round).

i don't know who is going to kwack, but someone will want a ride. it could be a 250 rider or someone like elias or guntoli who is looking for a new home. maybe even nakkers.

ChrisS
16th August 2008, 12:17
i don't know who is going to kwack, but someone will want a ride. it could be a 250 rider or someone like elias or guntoli who is looking for a new home. maybe even nakkers.

Meladri said that his only options for 09 are Gresini and Kawasaki though I think Gresini will be his first option. Nakano is already working on the 09 satellite bike so I think he is staying with Gresini too. That will leave de Angelis without a ride and looking for a new home.

tha_jackal
16th August 2008, 13:51
Ahhh, just seeing Westy qualify on the front two rows (sixth, regardless of conditions) makes my heart smile... Lets hope he can put in a strong performance tommorow, regardless of th elements..

Stoner = Super Freak, super freak, he's super freaaaaky.. yah..

Pantah Jack
17th August 2008, 03:54
Ant West #13 - 6th – 2’14.064

“I really didn’t expect to improve my time on our last lap, so the final result has been a real confidence boost. The conditions worsened throughout the session and there was a lot of standing water around the circuit, so the bike was aquaplaning in a lot of places. I was struggling to see and I got held up on my final lap on a soft tyre, but we still managed to move up a further three places. We’ve made a lot of improvements to the set-up of the machine, and although I’m not really sure how this will fair in the dry, starting from sixth means we’re in a strong position for the race.”

Roby44
17th August 2008, 04:38
He even "sounds" better...

Good on him...

Now go out there and stick it to 'em good Ant!! :D

gco0307
17th August 2008, 05:40
I wonder if having Hopkins (ala 'he of the teeth') back will help West in any way.

I say this as I have grave doubts that the team have been listening to heavily to West when he highlights issues (remembering that Hacking said that same as West when he rode at Laguna).

Now that the 'golden annointed one' is back, if he starts complaini9ng of similar issues, maybe Kawasaki will listen and provide better equipment for both. Somehow I doubt it though and fully suspect that West will be in different colours next year (and not MotoGP).

Garry

NinjaMaster
17th August 2008, 08:55
I wonder if having Hopkins (ala 'he of the teeth') back will help West in any way.

I say this as I have grave doubts that the team have been listening to heavily to West when he highlights issues (remembering that Hacking said that same as West when he rode at Laguna).

Now that the 'golden annointed one' is back, if he starts complaini9ng of similar issues, maybe Kawasaki will listen and provide better equipment for both. Somehow I doubt it though and fully suspect that West will be in different colours next year (and not MotoGP).

Garry

I don't fully agree with this. Whilst I do believe that the bike was developed in the pre-season around Hopkins direction rather than West, I think Kawasaki have gone to great lengths to get the bike to work for him including moving him closer to the team and running a private test session in Japan where they radically changed the bike to suit him. The thing Ant really needs to make sure of is making the most of what chances he has left. He's missed out on golden opportunities at Assen and Le Mans for strong results and he can't afford to do the same this weekend after a good qualifying.
I'm still hopeful (dreaming) that Ant can still keep his seat with strong results in the next couple of rounds but he's up against it after a poor season and a number of riders who seem to be chasing rides next year who have better histories and backing than Ant.

Go Westy Go!!!

T-D
17th August 2008, 13:39
woo, woo!

westy just sent a message to the entire paddock. when he is comfortable with the bike, he is a rider that belongs in the top class.

tha_jackal
17th August 2008, 14:14
Oh yeh T-D!! Couldn't of put it better myself..

Sooooo happy for Ant, was a bit unsure after warmup how he'd cope during race conditions..

However, he alayed my fears in fantastic style! Such a good performance from Westy just when he needs it..

He won at Misano last year :D Can be make it back to back in two weeks time? :D :D

Huge sigh of relief..

The Phantom
17th August 2008, 15:37
Fantastic ride :) :) :)

jonny hurlock
18th August 2008, 03:06
Fantastic ride :) :) :)

so agree, westy was great today, i've think both kawasaki's were great today

NinjaMaster
18th August 2008, 11:12
Westy woooooo!!!! The fightback has begun. Ant rode so well yesterday to give the Kwak honchos something to think about. Hopefully another performance like that will see him keep his seat next year given he's a cheap option and Kawasaki clearly aren't willing or able to spend the required moola to be fully competitive.

osg
19th August 2008, 07:59
'Twas a great ride..... but i wonder how it would have panned out if Michelin were competitive.......... but a 5th is just that, a 5th. Good job Westy!!

Mach24
19th August 2008, 11:42
Great to see a top result from Ant. Here is to many more!

Pantah Jack
20th August 2008, 00:01
Italian MotoGP star Marco Melandri has told motogp.com that he will ride for Kawasaki next season.

Although he still remains focussed on completing the 2008 campaign with current employees Ducati Marlboro, former 250cc World Champion Marco Melandri has revealed that he is to join Kawasaki at the end of this season.

Following his move to the Ducati factory team from satellite outfit Honda Gresini last winter Melandri has experienced an abrupt downturn in form and it was confirmed last month that he would not stay with the Italian manufacturers beyond 2008.

Since then Melandri has been in discussions with other teams and has made his mind up that Kawasaki is the right move.

Speaking to motogp.com on the second and final day of the post-Cardion ab Grand Prix Ceske republiky test on Tuesday Melandri commented, `I hope to get good results in the last six races of 2008 and after that I am moving to another team. I will ride for Kawasaki next year so it´s a big change for me.´

`For the time being I want to think about this season but it will be a big challenge next year. I will keep working hard though and I am quite confident.´

Explaining why he had chosen Kawasaki in particular he added, `(John) Hopkins is a very good rider and maybe he needs a stronger team-mate to be a little bit more motivated. Maybe I also need this kind of company to be motivated a little bit more because I really want to work closely together with a team-mate, so it will be a good experience anyway.´

Commenting on the possibility of a return to Honda Gresini, a rumour that had circulated in the MotoGP paddock, Melandri also said, `Yes it would have been a very nice option to go back to Fausto (Gresini). I had a very good time with him and he has always helped me a lot. Also this year we have been talking together, but for me, I have been looking at Kawasaki and they always seem very good. The engineers and the people give me a good feeling just to talk to them, so that is what I want to do.´

tha_jackal
20th August 2008, 04:00
Don't see the logic here.. Melandri, riding a championship winning bike, is the only rider Ant has consistantly been quicker than this year..

Cash talks I guess.. Shame for Westy.. Maybe Gresini will give him a go?

All he can do is keep improving...

T-D
20th August 2008, 08:50
whatever your options, ant, stay away from the kwack in wss or wsbk. utter crap bikes that kill careers.

Roby44
20th August 2008, 10:18
Didn't he ride a Yamaha in WSS last year??

T-D
20th August 2008, 14:42
Didn't he ride a Yamaha in WSS last year??yes. the yamaha is a proven winner in wsbk and wss. the kwack has been a complete failure.

tha_jackal
21st August 2008, 02:31
Not all doom and gloom for Ant.... Kawasaki seem to want to look after him..

Kawasaki close in on Melandri deal and third bike for 2009
Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Kawasaki´s Michael Bartholemy has provided an update on the proposed recruitment of Italian MotoGP rider Marco Melandri.

Following Marco Melandri´s comments on Tuesday, on the final day of testing at Brno, that he is set to join Kawasaki at the end of this year, the Japanese manufacturer´s MotoGP Competition Manager Michael Bartholemy has confirmed that a deal is on the table – with final confirmation from Japan currently being awaited.

Bartholemy told motogp.com on Wednesday that the stamp of approval from his own bosses at Kawasaki Heavy Industries was still required, commenting, `We have reached an agreement with Marco Melandri meaning that he would join us for the next two years, but the deal still has to be approved by Kawasaki in Japan.´

Explaining what Melandri´s arrival would mean for current Kawasaki rider Anthony West, Bartholemy declared, `With regard to Anthony he will not be part of the main Kawasaki MotoGP team next season but we want to offer him a contract to remain as a Kawasaki factory rider, because we have invested a lot in him to bring him up a level since he joined us last year. That could mean that Anthony rides for us in another World Championship series.´

Meanwhile, Bartholemy is also still finalising plans to bring a third Kawasaki machine onto the MotoGP grid on a permanent basis next season and is positive about such a project taking place. For West that could mean a chance to remain in the premier class of motorcycle competition depending on sponsorship demands.

As Bartholemy explained, `If we do run a third bike it would be up to the sponsors and the management who the rider is, but Anthony West could be part of the package that we offer. In Misano we should be able to confirm that Melandri has joined us and we should be able to clarify the situation with the third bike.´

Even if he goes to WSS/WSBK, he can still get back into GP one day.. After he wins the championship that is :P Fingers crossed for a stay in GP's!!

Silly season in full swing!

21st August 2008, 05:30
Looks a bit brighter for Westy although it will be interesting to see whether the sponsors support him.

I don't think too much of Bartholomy's alleged comment that ".....we have invested a lot in him to bring him up a level since he joined us last year" given that it appears obvious that their bikes have not yet been developed to the point whereby they are potential race-winners and even Hopkins has been having his share of problems with the handling and getting the power down.

gco0307
21st August 2008, 09:25
Personally, the more I read comments from Bartholemy the more I start to think of him as a total up himself prat.

IMO (and as mentioned in earlier posts) the comment 'because we have invested a lot in him to bring him up a level since he joined us last year' really does (to me at least) smack of high arrogance.
IMO, West has riding talent and this has been shown at times on the Kawasaki but was (again IMO) best displayed on the Yamaha in WSS. To me, West has not risen a level in MGP but rather remained stagnant or perhaps even dropped slightly and personally I read the comment more as a 'nice' way to say he (West) isn't good enough.

To me it appears obvious that more money is coming into the team from somewhere if they are now to afford Melandri as well as put in place a third bike (irrespective of the rider).

IMO as others have said, West would be best served at another manufacturer in terms of longer term future prospects, but staying another year with Kawasaki may earn some brownie points as well. Tough call time.

Garry

leopard
21st August 2008, 10:21
Perhaps statement about having invested a lot in someone is measured from amount of time, money spent to reflect that the team was attentive to the riders, whether or not the bike and the riders suffice it to say success developing their strength.

Usually every investment is expected to trigger benefit for the team. Therefore they will not let go someone whom they have invested in for the better result unless they gain considerable amount of feedback from the investment.

NinjaMaster
22nd August 2008, 11:53
As stoked as I am for Kawasaki to snare Melandri, I'm disappointed for Ant whose MotoGP dream appears over just as it begins. I really hope that for the rest of the year he can really show his full wares and snag the (if there is one) third Kwak GP bike or a top factory WSB ride.

I'm glad to hear Kawasaki's support for him and that they want to keep him with the factory. His endeavours have obviously left a positive imprint given they want to continue having him in some capacity. I read Bartholemy's comments to include last year where they brought him into MotoGP and I think they've done a lot to try make him competitive. If he does race WSB or WSS (on the new ZX6R) I would hope the factory would do him justice and throw a lot of support behind the project.

29th August 2008, 18:24
world of warcraft gold Promotion! Here guarantee the lowest price of wow gold (http://www.akgame.com) in the market! There will can make your wow life rich and we can promise you will be a hero in world of warcraft cause you will have more and more wow power level (http://www.wow-power-leveling.com) to get good weapen and other stuff ! we have sell Buy wow gold the price Slashed again! Unbeatable price from the direct sale. You are buying World of Warcraft gold (http://www.akgame.com/world-of-warcraft-eu-c-2.html) from the game developers directly, not from the resellers, no hacking, no cheating, guarantee work ! but please keep your mind clear , don't pay more time and money there , cause you have your live life ! ok that's all thanks for your read . ( maybe this is a good news)

T-D
31st August 2008, 17:46
you know what, 13th is not much, but westy is now faster than hopkins the last 2 races, and that's a nice feather in the cap.

tha_jackal
2nd September 2008, 09:49
West to LCR.. you heard it hear first ....

Wishful thinking perhaps :D But he'd be SO much cheaper than DePuniet (pretty much ZERO crashing) and he might get on perfectly with the Honda.. Strap some Bridgestones on and im sure he'd achieve equivelant results with far less of a damage bill..

Come on Lucio! Give another Aussie a go :D

Roby44
2nd September 2008, 10:48
Geez Louise!!! :eek: I read that and thought GREAT!! Westy stays in MotoGP.

Hopefully LCR and Lucio read this forum and get the message.....

12th September 2008, 22:53
Ant "Rain-Man" West shines again in the wet at Indianapolis..........
It ain't no fluke and in my opinion, reinforces the general view that past performance problems rest with the bikes.

The team bosses can run around like decapitated chooks trying out different riders but should obviously focus on improving what is basically a good machine.

T-D
13th September 2008, 00:02
hey guys, writing you live from indy. westy was awesome today and i have a good feeling for the race as it is supposed to rain all weekend. gonna buy an aussie flag and show big support for westy.

the track is fine and safe, btw.

report back later.

NinjaMaster
13th September 2008, 00:14
Ant "Rain-Man" West shines again in the wet at Indianapolis..........
It ain't no fluke and in my opinion, reinforces the general view that past performance problems rest with the bikes.

The team bosses can run around like decapitated chooks trying out different riders but should obviously focus on improving what is basically a good machine.
Absolutely! Sign him up now for the 3rd Kwak bike next year. :up:

NinjaMaster
13th September 2008, 00:16
hey guys, writing you live from indy. westy was awesome today and i have a good feeling for the race as it is supposed to rain all weekend. gonna buy an aussie flag and show big support for westy.

the track is fine and safe, btw.

report back later.
Onya T-D, that's great. Westy needs all the support he can get!

Roby44
13th September 2008, 00:26
Buy 2 Aussie flags and wave one of them for me!! Westy is on a mission! Let's hope he keeps it up all weekend..

And hopefully Ike stays away!!

NinjaMaster
13th September 2008, 00:35
And hopefully Ike stays away!!

And Tina... :p

Roby44
13th September 2008, 05:38
Ant got a mention on the 12noon news on the radio today!!!

Australian rider Ant West fastest in morning practice... I near crashed my car!! NOT because Ant was fastest BUT because they even mentioned and /or MotoGP!!

14th September 2008, 22:17
It was a pity that the grid positions had been determined during a dry QP otherwise West and Vermeulen would no doubt have been right up at the pointy end on the grid and at the end of the race.

alfa155btcc
15th September 2008, 16:53
Was a wet race if he was that good he should of been able to get up through the race field, i don`t think he`s good enough heard he maybe going to WSB.

T-D
15th September 2008, 21:57
the race conditions really conspired to hurt the wet specialists like vermin and westy. the tires were destroyed early on in a dry-ish track trying to catch up. by the time th erace was called after the rain and wind picked up all the riders were in survival mode. still, that's three straight races that westy has topped hopper, two of them in the dry.

Pantah Jack
16th September 2008, 03:11
Was a wet race if he was that good he should of been able to get up through the race field, i don`t think he`s good enough heard he maybe going to WSB.

Ant was also fastest in FP1 and FP2 both of which were wet sessions.

More ....... Ant has finsihed in front of Marco 6 times this year. Marco in front of Ant on 8 occassions. Ant on Kwak crap and Marco on 007 world champ bike and 008 current runner up. Who would I want on my bike if all things were equal ???????????

Mach24
16th September 2008, 10:14
Ant was also fastest in FP1 and FP2 both of which were wet sessions.

More ....... Ant has finsihed in front of Marco 6 times this year. Marco in front of Ant on 8 occassions. Ant on Kwak crap and Marco on 007 world champ bike and 008 current runner up. Who would I want on my bike if all things were equal ???????????

I would want the one who has proven his potential to win a World Championship!

Good luck to Westy, I hope he can do something special with the ZX10R

tha_jackal
16th September 2008, 10:55
Pfft.. You mean the R1? or CBR1000? Or ANYTHING but a ZX10R..

Pantah Jack
17th September 2008, 10:41
Pfft.. You mean the R1? or CBR1000? Or ANYTHING but a ZX10R..

Here Here Jake

NinjaMaster
17th September 2008, 10:54
I'd love nothing more than for Ant to go to a competitive, factory backed Kawasaki team 09 but the latter part of that option appears a pipe dream. Seems to me an R6 is more likely than an R1 and the rest are privateer efforts, back where he spent the rest of his racing life. :(

Roby44
17th September 2008, 11:18
It's just not fair.. Poor Ant he does his very best every time not like some..

gco0307
17th September 2008, 12:19
It's just not fair.. Poor Ant he does his very best every time not like some..

Well he is equal on points with his team-mate and only 3 behind Melandri.

Whilst we know that he is gone, he should focus on beating this two guys by the end of the year as at least he can walk away with head high and smiling.

But, I do hope he doesn't go to Kawasaki in WSBK as they are uncompetitive. Instead I hoped that rumours of Corser heading to BMW will open an RI door which is a possibility but that could also depend on how Yamaha feel about the split in 07.

Garry

T-D
17th September 2008, 14:53
i wonder what, if any, leverage ant may have to negotiate a good wsbk superbike ride. if kwack are serious about landing him there, is that a good thing for negotiations with other teams or bad? in other words, will kwack try to force a commitment from ant to kwack in sbk before he finishes out the season and has an opportunity to negotiate with other sbk teams?

NinjaMaster
18th September 2008, 09:19
i wonder what, if any, leverage ant may have to negotiate a good wsbk superbike ride. if kwack are serious about landing him there, is that a good thing for negotiations with other teams or bad? in other words, will kwack try to force a commitment from ant to kwack in sbk before he finishes out the season and has an opportunity to negotiate with other sbk teams?
The main leverage a rider has is past results and what they can bring to a team. At least for Ant it appears he has a guaranteed ride on a factory Kwak (where he will be paid, not the other way around) that he can weigh all other options up against.
I'm really hoping that Elias signs for Gresini or Alice Ducati and that Checa decides that WSB frontish-running is more enjoyable than at best mid-pack MotoGP. Then Aspar can sign Westy for 1 year and when he finishes above Hopkins next year he can replace John in the factory squad (which is by now competitive) when Bautista joins Aspar in MotoGP. Oh wait, I'm dreaming again! :D

tha_jackal
19th September 2008, 01:07
The main leverage a rider has is past results and what they can bring to a team. At least for Ant it appears he has a guaranteed ride on a factory Kwak (where he will be paid, not the other way around) that he can weigh all other options up against.
I'm really hoping that Elias signs for Gresini or Alice Ducati and that Checa decides that WSB frontish-running is more enjoyable than at best mid-pack MotoGP. Then Aspar can sign Westy for 1 year and when he finishes above Hopkins next year he can replace John in the factory squad (which is by now competitive) when Bautista joins Aspar in MotoGP. Oh wait, I'm dreaming again! :D

Funnily enough, i've been having very similar dreams of late.. ;)

Pantah Jack
19th September 2008, 08:14
Wayne Gardner in his regular article in October Issue of Aussie Mag RAPID BIKES had this to say " Westy is off to WSS at this stage and I think it's the best thing for him to be honest, as the technology in MotoGP just doesn't suit his natural riding style at this stage"

I rekon he would have to be very close to the money shot as Ant's manager is Gardners' former manager and is still in regular contact with him and Tony Hatton ( Suzuka winner + 5 Aussie titles ). One can only wonder if it is the Kwak ZX6R currently running 21st - Fujiwara and 31st - Craig Martin.
And lets get real ..... Fujiwara has 6 WSS wins and 21 WSS podiums and 7 fastest laps,,,,,, plus 2 WSBK podiums,,,,,,, so I guess he can ride!!
Poor !!!

Time will tell where Ant ends up.

ChrisS
19th September 2008, 12:19
One can only wonder if it is the Kwak ZX6R currently running 21st - Fujiwara and 31st - Craig Martin.
And lets get real ..... Fujiwara has 6 WSS wins and 21 WSS podiums and 7 fastest laps,,,,,, plus 2 WSBK podiums,,,,,,, so I guess he can ride!!
Poor !!!

Chris Martin only had one ride as a stand in at Donington park. Chris Walker was the regular rider and he was 13th before he walked out of the team to join Paul Bird's superbike team.

Not that bad but not good either

T-D
19th September 2008, 15:12
the kwack hasn't done squat in wsbk or wss or bsb or, or(searches mind)...only ama, really.

i say to ant, stay off the kwack.

Pantah Jack
19th September 2008, 19:05
Chris Martin only had one ride as a stand in at Donington park. Chris Walker was the regular rider and he was 13th before he walked out of the team to join Paul Bird's superbike team.

Not that bad but not good either

Walker is a class act..... 13th on a factory bike,,,,,, not that good and not that good either :)

See Martin is 5th in Ist Qual in Vallelunga..... it aint the riders at fault.

tha_jackal
20th September 2008, 01:59
Wet Qual mind you.. So the bike isn't doing the work, the rider is..

NinjaMaster
21st September 2008, 05:18
Ant West's (and mine) possible ride for 2009? Talk of the WSB and WSS Kwak efforts going in house for next year as they're not happy with how PSG-1 and whoever runs the WSS program.

2009 ZX6R
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/6r.jpg

ChrisS
21st September 2008, 10:14
looks like a mini ZX-10R

NinjaMaster
21st September 2008, 13:20
looks like a mini ZX-10R
Pretty much but better.

jim mcglinchey
21st September 2008, 18:29
Nice, but I'd prefer the Triumph Street Triple.

22nd September 2008, 00:39
But it's green. I guess all the good colours are taken. :p

NinjaMaster
22nd September 2008, 13:26
But it's green. I guess all the good colours are taken. :p
I couldn't think of a good comeback to this so I'll just have to be angry! :angryfire :

Roby44
22nd September 2008, 21:25
I couldn't think of a good comeback to this so I'll just have to be angry! :angryfire :

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

neninja
1st October 2008, 11:47
Rumoured to have signed to ride in WSS on the Stiggy 600

T-D
1st October 2008, 21:17
i don't know why stiggy wouldn't stick him on the superbike. he's rumoured to be adding a 2 bike team with haslam on one honda. actually, now that i think about it, maybe better for ant to win the wss title, then have a shot at a factory superbike than tool around mid-pack on a year old honda.

tha_jackal
2nd October 2008, 10:07
Rumoured to have signed to ride in WSS on the Stiggy 600

Would make sense considering their existing friendship..

However, would love to see him in WSBK alongside Brookesy.. What an awesome team that would be.. Would be my fav..

NinjaMaster
2nd October 2008, 10:14
Would make sense considering their existing friendship..

However, would love to see him in WSBK alongside Brookesy.. What an awesome team that would be.. Would be my fav..
I'd love that team but I'd wanna see both them blokes in a competitive Factory Kawasaki team (not run by PSG-1). But only because of my green vision...

T-D
3rd October 2008, 00:18
http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-west-melandri-in-for-a-big-surprise//P1/

none of this is surprising. kwack built a bike for hopkins and that's that. as i have documented, since the switch to a more rideable bike, west has bested hopper.

and they haven't even offered him a kwack wsb ride. :down:

tha_jackal
3rd October 2008, 09:27
http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-west-melandri-in-for-a-big-surprise//P1/

none of this is surprising. kwack built a bike for hopkins and that's that. as i have documented, since the switch to a more rideable bike, west has bested hopper.

Reading that hurts... Ant never gets an easy run does he?

Shame on YOUR Kawasaki Clint :(

Hope he gets a ride with Stiggy and wins the WSS Title then WSBK Title the next year, stick it up everyone Ant, go where you have friends and loyalty..

T-D
5th October 2008, 18:26
4 out of 5 races beating hopkins since the switch back to the '07 machine for ant.

and a great quote:

"On the opening lap I could see Marco Melandri ahead of me, so I thought I´d give him a good look at the bike he´ll be riding next year - from the rear," :laugh:

osg
5th October 2008, 20:20

Wow... thats astonishing to think that Kwak would go to those levels of underhandedness...... poor form and Ant deserved better, no matter how his performances have been.

Ranger
6th October 2008, 01:19
...and to think this guy is being booted to make way for a rider who is 70 seconds per race slower than his team-mate!

Poor form. poor form. :down:

tha_jackal
7th October 2008, 06:06
From Mr Kropotkins excellent Blog:

Ant West Talking To Ten Kate For World Supersport Ride

When Ant West signed up as a factory Kawasaki rider to race in MotoGP, he could hardly have suspected just how miserable his life was about to become. The Australian had spent years trying to get into racing's premier class, accepting some extremely questionable rides in 250s just to get a chance at MotoGP. Tragically for West, his arrival coincided with a sharp decline in Kawasaki's fortunes, and after some promising results in 2007, West's career has been on a downward spiral, propelled by the dismal performance of the Kawasaki.

After hoping for a long while to somehow stay in MotoGP, Ant West seems finally to have accepted his fate. The German motorsports site Motosport Total is reporting that Westy is in talks for a ride on "a competitive Honda in World Supersport." "Practically my only option is the World Supersport championship. On a Honda," West told Motorsport Total.

Although there are a number of teams fielding Hondas in the World Supersport series, Motorsport Total says that paddock whispers say West's manager is talking to Ten Kate about riding for the team. West wouldn't confirm that rumor, though he admitted "I know the team, and I'd love to ride for them."

With Ten Kate having previously announced their 2009 lineup, a seat at the Dutch team which has dominated World Supersport seems highly unlikely. However, Andrew Pitt, the man who won the World Supersport title for Ten Kate, is known to be unhappy with the team, as he had hoped that a title would see him making a return to the World Superbike championship. But Pitt has been forced to watch his young team mate Johnny Rea move up to World Superbike, while he remains in Supersport to defend his title.

So Pitt could well be looking for an exit. If he does leave Ten Kate, then that would open the way for Ant West. And on previous evidence, that would not be a bad move for either Ant West or Ten Kate. In the three races that West rode in the series for Yamaha in 2007, West finished 3rd in one race, and won the other two. The bikes seem to suit West's style, and on board a Ten Kate, the Australian could end up being almost unstoppable.

Whether he ends up at Ten Kate or not, Ant West surely deserves a ride aboard competitive machinery somewhere. Kawasaki's failure has robbed West of confidence, and disguised the talent he has. On decent equipment, we may see the real Ant West emerge once again.

Source:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/motorrad/news/2008/10/Supersport-WM_West_verhandelt_mit_Honda_08100610.html

NinjaMaster
8th October 2008, 07:47
Reading that hurts... Ant never gets an easy run does he?

Shame on YOUR Kawasaki Clint :(

Hope he gets a ride with Stiggy and wins the WSS Title then WSBK Title the next year, stick it up everyone Ant, go where you have friends and loyalty..

It's pretty heart breaking for me as a Kwak fan. It was pretty clear early in the year that the bike was developed specifically to suit 'the chosen one' in Hopkins. Even though Kawasaki worked hard to alter West's bike to suit him, the dealings behind Ant's back and lack of respect in the way they keep towing him along with promises are pathetic. It really reflects a complete lack of professionalism amongst the team which matches their insignificance in international road racing at the moment. :(

I soo hope Ant can find a strong team that he can really show what he's got. Somewhere that has his best interests at heart and not just biding it's time til someone 'better' comes along. All the best to Westy on "Operational Career Resurrection" in '09. :up:

...and to think this guy is being booted to make way for a rider who is 70 seconds per race slower than his team-mate!

Poor form. poor form. :down:

In fairness to Marco on the weekend, I saw him crash going into Honda corner in morning warmup on Sunday and he came away looking completely confused. The thing just fell over for no apparent reason which gives the rider absolutely no trust in it at all.

Mach24
8th October 2008, 10:14
the dealings behind Ant's back and lack of respect in the way they keep towing him along with promises are pathetic

In saying that, it appears the only person on the planet who did not know what was happening must have been Ant.

I wish Ant well, he is a good rider who has a lot to offer the right team.

T-D
8th October 2008, 11:49
In saying that, it appears the only person on the planet who did not know what was happening must have been Ant.

I wish Ant well, he is a good rider who has a lot to offer the right team.when kawasaki publicly state that they were considering wsbk opportunities for ant and it turns out they never even offered him a ride, how should one categorize that behavior?

tha_jackal
16th October 2008, 23:14
"After a difficult year in MotoGP I need to race on a bike that can win, and in Supersport together with team Stiggy I can. For 2009 I have only one goal - to win!"

Gooooo Ant! :D

gco0307
16th October 2008, 23:20

TEAM STIGGY SIGN ANTHONY WEST FOR 2009

Team Stiggy Motorsport Honda are happy to announce that they have signed Australian rider Anthony West for 2009. The 27-year old will leave his factory MotoGP ride at the end of the season, for the highly-competitive Supersport World Championship. Anthony is no stranger to World Supersports. He made his mark in the 600 class, as a replacement rider in 2007, taking two wins and one third during his short spell in the series.

Anthony's race experience is impressive. He started out in the Australian Dirt track championships in 1994, winning the class soon afterwards, before carrying on to win the domestic long track championship in 1996. He then moved into road racing and won the Australian 250cc Production Championship in 1998, taking "Rider of the Year" title in the process. He raced in Japan before joining the International Grand Prix paddock in 1999 - in the 250cc class. In 2001, he had a brief foray in the 500cc championship, but was soon back in the 250cc class again. During his six years in the 250cc class, Anthony managed five podiums, including one win.

Johan Stigefelt
"I'm very pleased to have Anthony onboard. We both come from MotoGP and the 250cc class and know each other well, having been team mates in 2003. I know he is a talented rider, a fighter and a winner and he will be the perfect match for us next year. Ever since his "wild-card" ride in Supersport 2007, I have wanted him in our team. Now it's a reality and we will have to put all our efforts into a successful relationship. With four years experience in World Supersports, I believe we'll be able to give him a winning Honda. Our aim is high - we will be fighting for the title next year."

Anthony
"Im very happy to be joining the Stiggy team. Stiggy is a friend an old team-mate from 2003 in 250GP. I remember saying to him one day that he should start his own team because none of the other teams knew how to do it right, and to my surprise he did! Over the last couple of years I heard from everybody in the industry that the Stiggy team it's one of the better ones in the championship. To have a team boss that knows what it's like to race and knows what racing is all about is just great! After a difficult year in MotoGP I need to race on a bike that can win, and in Supersport together with team Stiggy I can. For 2009 I have only one goal - To win! "
IMO, a good move for West as Stiggy is a good team and he is known at both a talent and personal level so should be capable of fitting into the team environment quite easily.

I will tip a top 5 championship position in 2009 now (and favour top 3)

Garry

gco0307
16th October 2008, 23:22

TEAM STIGGY SIGN ANTHONY WEST FOR 2009

Team Stiggy Motorsport Honda are happy to announce that they have signed Australian rider Anthony West for 2009. The 27-year old will leave his factory MotoGP ride at the end of the season, for the highly-competitive Supersport World Championship. Anthony is no stranger to World Supersports. He made his mark in the 600 class, as a replacement rider in 2007, taking two wins and one third during his short spell in the series.

Anthony's race experience is impressive. He started out in the Australian Dirt track championships in 1994, winning the class soon afterwards, before carrying on to win the domestic long track championship in 1996. He then moved into road racing and won the Australian 250cc Production Championship in 1998, taking "Rider of the Year" title in the process. He raced in Japan before joining the International Grand Prix paddock in 1999 - in the 250cc class. In 2001, he had a brief foray in the 500cc championship, but was soon back in the 250cc class again. During his six years in the 250cc class, Anthony managed five podiums, including one win.

Johan Stigefelt
"I'm very pleased to have Anthony onboard. We both come from MotoGP and the 250cc class and know each other well, having been team mates in 2003. I know he is a talented rider, a fighter and a winner and he will be the perfect match for us next year. Ever since his "wild-card" ride in Supersport 2007, I have wanted him in our team. Now it's a reality and we will have to put all our efforts into a successful relationship. With four years experience in World Supersports, I believe we'll be able to give him a winning Honda. Our aim is high - we will be fighting for the title next year."

Anthony
"Im very happy to be joining the Stiggy team. Stiggy is a friend an old team-mate from 2003 in 250GP. I remember saying to him one day that he should start his own team because none of the other teams knew how to do it right, and to my surprise he did! Over the last couple of years I heard from everybody in the industry that the Stiggy team it's one of the better ones in the championship. To have a team boss that knows what it's like to race and knows what racing is all about is just great! After a difficult year in MotoGP I need to race on a bike that can win, and in Supersport together with team Stiggy I can. For 2009 I have only one goal - To win! "

IMO, a good move for West as Stiggy is a good team and he is known at both a talent and personal level so should be capable of fitting into the team environment quite easily.

But, I do hope that it is not Brookes who is losing out on this move (that is the Aussie coming out)

I will tip a top 5 championship position in 2009 now (and favour top 3)

Garry

Mach24
17th October 2008, 04:48
Ant should be top 3 in this championship, 2009.

Hope the Stiggy bikes can peg back the Ten Kate bikes.

T-D
17th October 2008, 15:48
good move. i recall how ant west destroyed the field in those 3 races in 2007, which clearly shows that he is a more than capable supersport rider. this is much better than a crap kwack wsbk/wss entry.

jonny hurlock
18th October 2008, 00:24
good-luck for ant next year, same opinion as everyone so far, Stiggy team will do him well, hope the Honda CBR600RR will match up to the Ten Kate machinery.

NinjaMaster
18th October 2008, 01:46
Chuffed.

alfa155btcc
24th October 2008, 12:12
Got to be honest guys dont know what all the fuss is about really when it comes to Westy, good in the wet that`s about it. Very Bored and confused with it all, just goes to prove how many australians are on this forum.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tha_jackal
24th October 2008, 23:56
Got to be honest guys dont know what all the fuss is about really when it comes to Westy, good in the wet that`s about it. Very Bored and confused with it all, just goes to prove how many australians are on this forum.

Ohhh god, someone ban him? :D :rolleyes:

alfa155btcc
25th October 2008, 00:50
Ohhh god, someone ban him? :D :rolleyes:

Ban me what for for having an opinion, LOL
Ant West has left Moto Gp or will be soon get over it.
Now , never thought this was an Australian Forum , i thought anyone could join in LOL
:D :D :D

CaptainRaiden
25th October 2008, 06:59

I got to agree with Alfa here. I saw his supersport wins, and on his day he is a good rider, but that's it. He screwed up his factory rides in 250cc and MotoGP, and on top of it keeps whining about it instead of going out there and doing something about it on the track.

Really don't get what's all the fuss about. :-/

ShiftingGears
25th October 2008, 08:11
I got to agree with Alfa here. I saw his supersport wins, and on his day he is a good rider, but that's it. He screwed up his factory rides in 250cc and MotoGP, and on top of it keeps whining about it instead of going out there and doing something about it on the track.

He's overhyped and ordinary.

In his defense, I don't see why Kawasaki has replaced him with Melandri, who has been clearly the worst rider in motoGP this year.

tha_jackal
25th October 2008, 10:05
Put anyone on the Kwak and see how they do.. test bike in MotoGP, to slag Ant off for Kawasaki's failures is not on.. Regardless of his nationality.. Melandri is on a CHAMPIONSHIP winning bike, there's no comparison..

gco0307
25th October 2008, 10:33

What you both say is correct in that we have not seen the best of West as generally he has been unable to deliver it for a great number of reasons and if we do not see we will never know.

But, IMO he is extremely talented at riding and racing a motorcycle, but lacks the ability to develop a bike at MotoGP level. IMO, this is only partially a personal failing as I doubt that he has ever been supported at the engineering level when he has raised issues/concerns and I say this as he has been the #2 in the team and therefore carries 'little weight'.

I do believe that WSS and possibly WSBK are far more suited to his personality (MotoGP is real killer and West is not) and above all else his abilities.

I expect him top 5 of WSS in 2009 and likely top 3.

He's overhyped and ordinary.

In his defense, I don't see why Kawasaki has replaced him with Melandri, who has been clearly the worst rider in motoGP this year.

I don't know about 'over hyped' as really he does not get any media coverage that really hypes him (well, coverage that I have come across). Certainly he does get coverage come GP time but outside of that all Australian press focuses on Stoner/Bayliss and to a lesser degree Vermuelen.

Now, if you want to talk over hyped then maybe West's team-mate for 2008 is a better example of that genre.

Garry

ShiftingGears
25th October 2008, 12:11
I don't know about 'over hyped' as really he does not get any media coverage that really hypes him (well, coverage that I have come across). Certainly he does get coverage come GP time but outside of that all Australian press focuses on Stoner/Bayliss and to a lesser degree Vermuelen.

Now, if you want to talk over hyped then maybe West's team-mate for 2008 is a better example of that genre.

Garry

I was referring to within the forum. Unfortunately, Ant has upped his game on Hopkins too late, and he'll be replaced by Melandri (which imo is a bad call).

ChrisS
25th October 2008, 16:03
I'm neither hot or cold about West, he was impressive in his supersport wildcards but nothing special in MotoGP.

The support he gets here in this forum is a bit strange.

25th October 2008, 22:31
A blind man could see that the Kawasaki has not yet been developed to the stage of being a potential race winner in which case it is unfair to be critical of the results of either Hopkins or West.

Wet weather is obviously the equaliser and West's abilities in those conditions provide an insight into the level of this guy's talent.

The support he receives in this forum appears to be mainly from members who appreciate his abilities yet are frustrated by the fact that he cannot display those talents in all conditions on a bike that is not currently up to the task.

He rarely bins a bike and as far as I am concerned if he is on a competitive bike as I expect the Stiggy unit to be in 09, he will be a consistent front runner.

Sure Aussies are parochial but we're not ignorant of the facts and are generally supportive of a talented and likeable underdog regardless of their country of origin.

Moto GP's loss and WSS' gain.

Roby44
26th October 2008, 04:24
Is there that many Australians on here?? I didn't know..

I support Westy because he is a good rider who tries very hard every time he races and the times I have actually spoken to him he seemed to be a really nice down to earth fellow with no airs and graces just "normal" like Chris V but nicer!!

Ant hardly ever gets any press "hype" or if he does I've never seen it! He is usually the last Aussie bike rider the press ever mention.

As Rod said..MotoGPs loss is WSS gain...

I'll be supporting Ant in WSS next year!!

Just have to ditch a few Kawa / Westy Tshirts now!! :p

Roby44
26th October 2008, 04:37
Westy at Phillip Island 2008

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/IMGP4279-1.jpg

The Phantom
26th October 2008, 07:58
I used to be neither here nor there as far as West went, even though I am a 'biased Aussie'. But then I learned a bit more about the guy, and I upped my opinion of him considerably. He is most certainly a talent, he's just flown under the radar for most of his career - and when he's been in the spotlight it has been largely for unflattering reasons such as team/money/political issues.

He is the real deal, a genuinely fast rider, who doesn't have the media savvy that many/most other riders have, but who is quite capable of riding fast and strong with pretty much anyone else on the grid - given the right bike.

You could have said the same of Stoner in 2006...

ShiftingGears
26th October 2008, 09:03
You could have said the same of Stoner in 2006...

Not at all. Stoner was fast all the time and had results, including a near victory in a privateer bike.

Ant West was significantly slower than his teammate for much of this year.

The similarities end with their nationality.

gco0307
26th October 2008, 10:03
And apparently, West will ride for Stiggy in teh last WSBK Supersport round.

Garry

Roby44
26th October 2008, 10:16
Really!!

That is good news..... more reason to watch that last round...

Roby44
26th October 2008, 10:19

Maybe but Ant is so much nicer ... :)

tha_jackal
26th October 2008, 12:46
True that! Casey is so grating and irritating.. Ant is laid back and calls it as it is ;)

Hope he does ride for the last round, sorry gco where did you hear this?

Peace!!

NinjaMaster
26th October 2008, 14:30

Fairly true that. Westy has battled his whole career as a leading privateer on rubbish machinery and even his 'big breaks' with factory teams turned out to be duds whereas Casey always had connections that allowed him to always get a competitive ride . :s tareup: :p

True that! Casey is so grating and irritating.. Ant is laid back and calls it as it is ;)

Lot's of people call that whinging. ;)

FWIW, I think that West is very talented and capable of being a top 10 MotoGP championship rider but not in the absolute elite to be able to contend for the title. He's definately MotoGP quality in my view and my expectation is to see him clean up in WSS next year and take the title and likely finish his career very successfully in WSB on a good factory bike. His MotoGP aspirations are shot now though with the wave of youth coming through.

All the best to him and I hope for a turn around in fortunes for him in the coming years.

T-D
27th October 2008, 01:33
i like westy because he speaks his mind, is talented and has had to work for everything he's got. overrated? nah, i don't agree with that. there are people on here that keep telling me that colin edwards is special. 5 years on mostly top machinery and not a win to show for it. that's over-rated.

gco0307
27th October 2008, 03:03
Hope he does ride for the last round, sorry gco where did you hear this?

Have seen it mentioned in an Australian bike forum by a guy who is very genuinely on the money in terms of that information (he has posted a few stories that have proved correct before they were announced).

Have asked for source and/or confirmation to post here.

Garry

tha_jackal
27th October 2008, 06:04
Have seen it mentioned in an Australian bike forum by a guy who is very genuinely on the money in terms of that information (he has posted a few stories that have proved correct before they were announced).

Garry

Aweomse! Thanks matey, hope it's true.. New track, Westy will be in with a shot of a win IMO ..

Pantah Jack
28th October 2008, 02:41

The fuss is about:

1. The Factory KTM did not come on line until well into the season. It was still considerably under developed;
- they were using two different engines right up till KTM and Ant parted ways
- when a bike in this day and age (2005) is still seizing and throwing the rider off at 240 kms the rider has got every right to get pissed !!!

2. The Factory Kwak;
- short memories for those who do not recall what Ant was able to achieve when he got onto it.
- the 2008 bike is simply crap
- look at what Ant has managed after switching back to 2007 chassis
- Kwak sacked the wrong rider. Remember Hoppers serious indescetion a couple of races back ( injured ribs overnight whilst sleeping - my arse )

3. WSS 2009 - watch this space kids

Roby44
28th October 2008, 10:15
Well said Jack!!

Injured ribs whilst sleeping :rolleyes:

... We called it something else when I was younger!! :p : ;)

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2008, 10:22
The fuss is about:

1. The Factory KTM did not come on line until well into the season. It was still considerably under developed;
- they were using two different engines right up till KTM and Ant parted ways
- when a bike in this day and age (2005) is still seizing and throwing the rider off at 240 kms the rider has got every right to get pissed !!!

Yeah, so?? You make it seem like he is the most unlucky rider ever to ride in the 250s or MotoGP. Everyone has bad to worse situations, a rider's talent lies in the ability to work around them and overcome those obstacles. Only then do they achieve glory, not by whining and complaining about it and then giving up.

2. The Factory Kwak;
- short memories for those who do not recall what Ant was able to achieve when he got onto it.

Really? He made his debut at Donington and crashed mid race to finish 11th later. Then for the rest of the season only managed 5 top 10 finishes, whereas his teammate Randy De Puniet managed 7 top 10 finishes since Dongington with two top five which also include a podium on the 2nd spot.

- the 2008 bike is simply crap

And yet he gets outperformed for the majority of the year by a newcomer to the team, John Hopkins, who I myself don't regard as a good racer.

- look at what Ant has managed after switching back to 2007 chassis

Again, you try to show it like he achieved a miracle. A 5th in Brno and then ouperforming Hopkins on a couple of occassions, before being outclassed again in the last two races. Being outclassed by Hopkins 8 - 4 throughout the year, not counting the injury and retirements.

Well, I already know the answer to that. "Because the bike was setup for Hopkins." Or the bike the year before was made for De Puniet? I'm sorry but those are just excuses. It was nowhere nearly as bad as Honda designing a pocket bike for Pedrosa and forcing Hayden to ride it in 2007.

To me, he is nothing more than a "I want everything to be perfect or I can't win" rider, who wouldn't get off his arse to do something about it. Mistakes after stupid mistakes, ala jump start and lining incorrectly on the grid. Riders like him are at plenty in any motorcycle championship you go to.

Before every race, while on the grid interviews, usually you hear him praying for rain if it's a little cloudy, possibly implying that he'd own the field if it rained. And when it pours, he is nowhere.

A nice guy, decent rider, but NOWHERE near as talented as he is made out to be on this forum. One and a half season in MotoGP was more than enough for him to prove his skills, even on a crap bike, because great riders shine on crap bikes. Melandri got even lesser time than him on the Duc to prove his worth.

And please, nobody in their right mind would compare WSS to MotoGP in terms of competition and level of difficulty. A whole different ballgame. WSS can't even be compared to WSBK. Look at Kenan Sofuoglu, he dominated WSS in 2007 and struggled badly in WSBK this year.

Maybe if West wins the WSS championship next year, and gets to WSBK, gets some good results, maybe he may return to MotoGP, but I highly doubt it. Game over for Anthony West, as far as MotoGP goes.

T-D
28th October 2008, 12:32
the point is that on the 2007 machine ant west was ahead of hopkins 4 out of 7 rounds, including the 5th place.

as marco melandri showed sometimes the bike does not fit the rider. is beating hopkins 4 out of 7 a good thing? extrapolated over the season--yes!

as for '07, two things: bartholemew was impressed enough with ant west to offer him a seat for '08. the team had to choose which rider to bring in at what time in motegi, and depunter got the correct call. had it been west, he'd likely have had the podium, but of course, x-exutioner would have called it a lottery podium and dismissed it.

T-D
28th October 2008, 13:29
can't edit my post, but it's odd that x-ecutioner would use marco melandri as a comparison. most observers in the paddock have stated the belief that when marco found the ducati less than comfortable to ride, he simply hung his head and quit trying. the rumour is that marco tested the kwack mid-season and was hoping to be released so that he could make the switch, but when ducati found out they made him stay on the ducati the rest of the season. one thing that i think we all can agree on is that ant west has never quit.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2008, 16:26
the point is that on the 2007 machine ant west was ahead of hopkins 4 out of 7 rounds, including the 5th place.

as marco melandri showed sometimes the bike does not fit the rider. is beating hopkins 4 out of 7 a good thing? extrapolated over the season--yes!

Well, you certainly saw something in West, that I or Bartholomy or other unbiased people fail to see. I still remain on the same stand that if West is as "GREAT" as people here make him out to be, he should have done much more than beating a rider "4 out of 7 rounds" who was injured half the time and came into the team after him.

Why would Kawasaki design or setup a bike keeping Hopkins in mind? Does it mean that West doesn't know how to get the team and engineers behind him?

as for '07, two things: bartholemew was impressed enough with ant west to offer him a seat for '08. the team had to choose which rider to bring in at what time in motegi, and depunter got the correct call. had it been west, he'd likely have had the podium, but of course, x-exutioner would have called it a lottery podium and dismissed it.

West would have had a chance in that race if he hadn't jumped the start, and hadn't gotten the penalty. But maybe it wasn't his mistake, the Kawasaki was to blame for his over ambitious early release of the clutch, right? :rolleyes:

can't edit my post, but it's odd that x-ecutioner would use marco melandri as a comparison. most observers in the paddock have stated the belief that when marco found the ducati less than comfortable to ride, he simply hung his head and quit trying. the rumour is that marco tested the kwack mid-season and was hoping to be released so that he could make the switch, but when ducati found out they made him stay on the ducati the rest of the season. one thing that i think we all can agree on is that ant west has never quit.

I never compared him with Marco Melandri. All I said was that West got more time on the Kawasaki than Marco got on the Ducati to prove their worth. Half a season more since West joined Kawasaki in mid 2007 and Melandri to Ducati from the start of 2008. That was all. I never compared their talents, but merely the amount of duration.

I can definitely say that both failed in their respective tasks. Plus, that "secret" test that Marco did with them obviously convinced the Kawasaki boffins that Marco was better in some technical area, and hence the boot to West.

Also, if West never gave up, and gave his absolute "BEST", then I'm sorry, his best wasn't good enough. Keeping in mind the 2008 chassis and the crappy bike, he simply didn't show any fire (even on the crappiest of bikes) to convince even one of the 16 teams in MotoGP to offer him a ride for next year. Not even the satellite teams, let alone the factory ones.

Like somebody said in this thread, it's his inability to develop a bike for himself that's his wrongdoing. He is a good motorcycle racer, but if he is incapable of developing a bike, then he simply doesn't belong in MotoGP. Probably he'd do much better in a stock bike championship.

T-D
28th October 2008, 19:29
x-ecutioner, a couple of facts:

west jumped the start at motegi. he also fell at other tracks with an opportunity to do well: germany comes to mind. i suspect if you analyze all riders performance you will see they all make mistakes, even rossi. but, if it makes you feel better, by all means have a go at ant over his mistakes.

as for the point of contracts in motogp: tell me how kallio, takahashi, canepa, edwards and depunter are all riding in motogp. if the answer isn't respectively: red bull connections, ducati connections, michelin connection, country of origin (coupled with onerous contract), then i will state that you are not very astute, but i suspect you are and will acknowledge that at the premier level it is not ALWAYS about talent, which is why i personally love guys like west and guintoli: people who have to scratch and earn every accomplisment on their resume.

btw, by his own statements, hopkins wasn't injured enough in the last 7 races for it to affect his performance, so i don't know why you brought it up.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2008, 20:49
x-ecutioner, a couple of facts:

west jumped the start at motegi. he also fell at other tracks with an opportunity to do well: germany comes to mind. i suspect if you analyze all riders performance you will see they all make mistakes, even rossi. but, if it makes you feel better, by all means have a go at ant over his mistakes.

The only reason I brought up that mistake from West at Motegi was because you seemed to have forgotten about that in your earlier post, when you said that had Kawasaki made the right call, West would have been on the podium instead of Randy, when in fact he was dead last and around 20 seconds behind?

as for the point of contracts in motogp: tell me how kallio, takahashi, canepa, edwards and depunter are all riding in motogp. if the answer isn't respectively: red bull connections, ducati connections, michelin connection, country of origin (coupled with onerous contract), then i will state that you are not very astute, but i suspect you are and will acknowledge that at the premier level it is not ALWAYS about talent, which is why i personally love guys like west and guintoli: people who have to scratch and earn every accomplisment on their resume.

Kallio's grand prix resume is way better than West, more wins and podiums clearly. He also shone in not so great machinery. Is Red Bull sponsoring or has any links with Alice Ducati next season? I'm not very clear on that. So, maybe you could elaborate more on that.

Takahashi is an OK rider, got 2 wins on a slightly inferior Honda in 2006 when he was Dovi's teammate. Of course, since he stuck with Honda and Team Scot, they awarded his loyalty and got him into MotoGP. No point in carrying on in the 250CC class on a dead-end no development bike.

Canepa won the Superstock 1000 championship in 2007 on a Ducati and is also their test rider, so it's only but obvious he'd get a ride on a Ducati.

Edwards is merely a test bunny for Yamaha. His ability to test and develop a bike is widely known, but other than that he has shown nothing. I guess he's still there because of his past WSBK exploits and some sponsorship.

I don't know what Randy De Puniet is still doing in MotoGP, but his past achievements, at least in the GP category are better than West if you make the comparison. If you're implying that it's because of connections to Michelin because of his nationality, then that wouldn't make sense in 2009 with the single supplier being Bridgestone.

I have no problems with West. I think he is a decent guy. A good motorcycle racer who has affinity to the wet weather. But that's all. Well, I guess it's none of my business, but all I wanted was to understand the immense hero worshiping and the demi-god status he has here, but why?

T-D
28th October 2008, 21:06
if you're looking to understand the hero-worshipping and demi-god status, i can't help you there because i don't think it exists here. what i CAN offer you is that he is a fave of this forum partly because there are a fair number of aussie members on thi sparticular bbs. i know that colin has a devout website following as do many other riders. not that unusual, really.

btw, the answer to the following:

kallio--red bull (will be sponsoring pramac next year)
takahashi--japanese
depunter--french rider (with a contract that luccio cannot afford to break)
canepa--italian and a ducati fave
edwards--stayed in motogp beause michelin loved his tire testing abilities and rossi wanted him as teammate.

the point is not to slag any of them, they are all skilled and have the potential to do well in motogp. i merely wanted to point out that one of the reasons i like ant west and guys like guintoli is because they have made their way into motogp without any connections (like those other riders) other than their perceived abilities.

and i am not an aussie, but i have found ozzie riders to be generally even-tempered, down to earth, straight shooters, which is really nice to see in contrast to a paddock full of whiners and prima donnas.

tha_jackal
29th October 2008, 00:57

Garry

Looks like your 'source' was wide of the mark Garry, shame :)

PORTIMAO PREVIEW
TEAM HANNSPREE STIGGY READY FOR THE FINAL ROUND IN PORTUGAL

The 13th and final round of the 2008 Supersport World Championship takes place this weekend at the all-new Parkalgar Algarve Motor Park circuit near Portimao in Portugal.

The circuit has only recently been completed and is already well known for its special characteristics consisting of many twisty corners and changes of elevation. The brand new facility has a huge crowd capacity and is in a prime location, only a few kilometres from Faro airport, in beautiful countryside near the Atlantic ocean. The 4.658 kms circuit will play an important role for the two HANNspree Stiggy Motorsport riders as it will be the last race of the year as well as their last race in the Stiggy team. With Andrew Pitt already crowned World Champion in the last round at Magny-Cours, and with Jonathan Rea not riding in the SSP class this weekend, Joshua has a very good chance of grabbing runner-up spot on Sunday.

Joshua
This will be my last race of the year in this championship and in the team. It's going to be a bit strange, but I hope to make it a good final weekend. The first session on Friday will be just getting to know the track and getting comfortable with the bike. I will try to ride as much as possible beforehand on my scooter so I can start memorising the layout. I heard the track was pretty slippery, but surely it will get better and better as the weekend gets going. Currently I'm third in the championship but, as Rea decided to not ride this weekend, I have a good chance to bring home that second place!

Robbin
I'm excited to race in Portimao - a completely brand new track. I have heard from the guys who have been there testing this week that it should be fantastic! There are many fast sections, twisty corners and the width of the track means there's plenty of room for overtaking. From the pictures I have seen, the place looks amazing - great facilities and also the track itself. This weekend is my last race with the team, so I want to finish it well and get a good result.

Johan Stigefelt
It has been a long time since we have raced at a completely new track. It will be very exciting to see how it looks and find out what kind of circuit it is. For both of our riders it will be their last race in the team, which is always a bit sad. But, on the other hand, we have had a great season with great results from both of them, so I couldn't be more happy. It is important for the championship that we get good results this weekend. Josh is only seven points behind Jonathan Rea, who is currently in second place. But Jonathan is riding in the SBK class instead this weekend, so Joshua has a good chance to take second. Our aim this weekend is to take second place in the championship and that's what we'll be chasing until the very last lap.

ends

Wonder when Westy starts testing his new steed?
Anyone know?

tha_jackal
29th October 2008, 01:22
...Well, I guess it's none of my business, but all I wanted was to understand the immense hero worshiping and the demi-god status he has here, but why?

*sigh*

I really wish it was your business, but you havn't followed Ant from 1998, when he made his debut at Phillip Island aboard a 125cc machine..

99/00 saw the emergence of a real talent, claiming seventh in the 250cc standings in 2000..

He was promised a factory ride by APRILIA for 2001, instead he got shafted and had to quickly search for a ride aboard a 500cc privateer machine, v-twin, which saw him regularly struggling..

However, he did beat the likes of Crivile, Roberts, Checa on occasions who were aboard 4 cylinders mind you.. Loved seeing that..

2002 he was promised a factory 250cc ride from HONDA this time around, the team never showed up for testing and Ant was left without a ride for the entire 2002 season..

2003 Aprilia again came to his aid with more promises and the 'lure' of high quality equipment. What does he get? A bike that would have barely been competetive when he was riding in 99/00... Ant took several dry podiums and a famous race win that year, finished sixth in the standings ahead of SEVERAL factory machines and easily top privateer (something he did alot) ..

2004 after showing what he could do aboard crappy machinery Ant again fell to the mistake of believing Aprilia would provide him with a factory bike..Ant arrived at his first test expecting to see a shiny new top of the range Aprilia, instead, it's the exact same rusty, old, dated machine that he battled so hard on the year previously... Ant tried his best for 04, fighting against the riders who received the bikes he was promised, but could only do what his team and machinery allowed.. This shoddy machinery nearly killed him at Phillip Island in 04, crashing at turn one while trying to force every ounce of performance from the bike.. This crash had long lasting effects on Ant..

2005, it was here! FINALLY, Ant was promised a factory bike by KTM and they WOULD actually deliver it.. He only had to wait until deep into the second half of the year to ride it.. When he did, he took it to a podium placing in its debut race, an AMAZING feat.. From there on out however, the KTM 250cc machine regularly spat him off at over 200kmph, the un-tested, volatile and unreliable nature of the early KTM engine seized regularly and once again put Ant's health at risk..

It is believed Ant had a bust up with Harold Bartol after one of these such life threatening incidents, Harold assured Ant all was forgiven and KTM would give him a chance to campaign the bike for a full year in 06.. Weeks later his contract was terminated..

2006, back to square one.. aboard a privateer Aprilia that would have struggled to be competetive when he was racing in 03.. He battled, tried hard but achieved little success..

2007, repeat performance from Aprilia.. They provided an LE kit bike, somewhat of a step up from 06 but no-where near competetive.. Ant WASN'T PAID by 'Team Mafia', i mean Sicilia and had to scrape and scrounge to live, let alone race.. He still regularly beat the KTM factory bikes however, that made him smile.. After finally getting fed up with his dodgy teams inability and his machine's inferiority, Ant decided to make a move that perhaps he should have made three, four years earlier.. He took a WSS ride and rode in three races, he took three podiums, including two wins.. Two of the podiums were IN THE DRY... One was a majestic wet weather ride where he destroyed the field at a track he'd never raced on..

2008, Big opportunity, after testing the KWAK in 07 and campaigning quite competantly for the second half of the 07 season, big things were expected.. However Kawasaki failed to deliver.. Leaving himself and Hopkins struggling horribly.. In the end they fail to give Ant clarity on his future while allowing Melandri to test the bike in sectet... Ant found out about this test from Melandri himself, real good Kawasaki, real nice..

09, WSS Champ :D 2010, WSBK Champ :D

Call it the love of the underdog, or just an attachment to a certain rider after following his progress for so long, i don't know.. But i believe Ant has the talent that Stoner, Vermeulen etc posses and i believe given the right package, he could run at the front in MotoGP...

I believe he will dominate in 2009, providing Stiggy keep up their form.. And then he will move onto bigger and better things in 2010, in a paddock that im sure suits his lifestyle a whole lot more.. Lets just hope he's getting paid..

*rant over*

NinjaMaster
29th October 2008, 09:55
Yeah, so?? You make it seem like he is the most unlucky rider ever to ride in the 250s or MotoGP. Everyone has bad to worse situations, a rider's talent lies in the ability to work around them and overcome those obstacles. Only then do they achieve glory, not by whining and complaining about it and then giving up.

Not even the likes of Rossi, Doohan or Stoner can overcome an underdeveloped, unreliable bike that pitches them down the road at full noise down the straight. And they'd have every right to complain about it. In fact, from those three, the toys wouldn't just be thrown out of the cot, the cot would be thrown on it's side and set on fire. Racing is dangerous enough without having a bike that dangerously breaks consistently which is why Bimota did the right thing and pulled out of WSB when their bike threw Anthony Gobert down the road at Sugo. KTM didn't get the hint that quickly.

Well, I already know the answer to that. "Because the bike was setup for Hopkins." Or the bike the year before was made for De Puniet? I'm sorry but those are just excuses.

They are somewhat excuses but they carry some weight as well. In 07 Ant joined mid-season after 1 test whereas RdP had already had a year and a half on the bike. I wouldn't expect Rossi to be able to get on the Ducati mid season and just beat Stoner straight away.

A nice guy, decent rider, but NOWHERE near as talented as he is made out to be on this forum. One and a half season in MotoGP was more than enough for him to prove his skills, even on a crap bike, because great riders shine on crap bikes. Melandri got even lesser time than him on the Duc to prove his worth.

Marco was lucky to last the season given his teammate was winning races. Ant's half a year was very impressive on a mid-pack bike given he was thrown in at the deep end. This year was highly unimpressive, especially early but by season's end he was generally matching his teammate showing the bike wasn't capable of much in anyone's hands.

And please, nobody in their right mind would compare WSS to MotoGP in terms of competition and level of difficulty. A whole different ballgame. WSS can't even be compared to WSBK. Look at Kenan Sofuoglu, he dominated WSS in 2007 and struggled badly in WSBK this year.

Muggeridge would be a better example than Sofuoglu. I don't think anyone would shine with Kenan's position of personal tragedy suffered during the year.

Maybe if West wins the WSS championship next year, and gets to WSBK, gets some good results, maybe he may return to MotoGP, but I highly doubt it. Game over for Anthony West, as far as MotoGP goes.

One thing I agree with. West is 27 so in 2 years he will be 29 (Wow, amazing maths skills!) trying to re-enter a youth focussed GP series without the weight of sponsors or connections to get him a ride. MotoGP is a long shot now but WSB looks promising and the way MotoGP is heading, perhaps that is a good thing.

Why would Kawasaki design or setup a bike keeping Hopkins in mind? Does it mean that West doesn't know how to get the team and engineers behind him?

There's a couple of million good reasons why Hopkins was preferred by Kawasaki. He was their big name signing who brought with him their biggest sponsor. Far more important to make him competitive than no-name West. If Ant fails then (relatively) no-one cares. Hopkins fails and there is significant egg on Team Greens face.

Like somebody said in this thread, it's his inability to develop a bike for himself that's his wrongdoing. He is a good motorcycle racer, but if he is incapable of developing a bike, then he simply doesn't belong in MotoGP. Probably he'd do much better in a stock bike championship.

A rider cannot develop a bike if the engineers don't listen to his feedback. West was praised and subsequently hired for the feedback he gave the engineers last year but when Hopkins came in Ant's views were basically ignored.

*sigh*

I really wish it was your business, but you havn't followed Ant from 1998, when he made his debut at Phillip Island aboard a 125cc machine..

99/00 saw the emergence of a real talent, claiming seventh in the 250cc standings in 2000..

He was promised a factory ride by APRILIA for 2001, instead he got shafted and had to quickly search for a ride aboard a 500cc privateer machine, v-twin, which saw him regularly struggling..

However, he did beat the likes of Crivile, Roberts, Checa on occasions who were aboard 4 cylinders mind you.. Loved seeing that..

2002 he was promised a factory 250cc ride from HONDA this time around, the team never showed up for testing and Ant was left without a ride for the entire 2002 season..

2003 Aprilia again came to his aid with more promises and the 'lure' of high quality equipment. What does he get? A bike that would have barely been competetive when he was riding in 99/00... Ant took several dry podiums and a famous race win that year, finished sixth in the standings ahead of SEVERAL factory machines and easily top privateer (something he did alot) ..

2004 after showing what he could do aboard crappy machinery Ant again fell to the mistake of believing Aprilia would provide him with a factory bike..Ant arrived at his first test expecting to see a shiny new top of the range Aprilia, instead, it's the exact same rusty, old, dated machine that he battled so hard on the year previously... Ant tried his best for 04, fighting against the riders who received the bikes he was promised, but could only do what his team and machinery allowed.. This shoddy machinery nearly killed him at Phillip Island in 04, crashing at turn one while trying to force every ounce of performance from the bike.. This crash had long lasting effects on Ant..

2005, it was here! FINALLY, Ant was promised a factory bike by KTM and they WOULD actually deliver it.. He only had to wait until deep into the second half of the year to ride it.. When he did, he took it to a podium placing in its debut race, an AMAZING feat.. From there on out however, the KTM 250cc machine regularly spat him off at over 200kmph, the un-tested, volatile and unreliable nature of the early KTM engine seized regularly and once again put Ant's health at risk..

It is believed Ant had a bust up with Harold Bartol after one of these such life threatening incidents, Harold assured Ant all was forgiven and KTM would give him a chance to campaign the bike for a full year in 06.. Weeks later his contract was terminated..

2006, back to square one.. aboard a privateer Aprilia that would have struggled to be competetive when he was racing in 03.. He battled, tried hard but achieved little success..

2007, repeat performance from Aprilia.. They provided an LE kit bike, somewhat of a step up from 06 but no-where near competetive.. Ant WASN'T PAID by 'Team Mafia', i mean Sicilia and had to scrape and scrounge to live, let alone race.. He still regularly beat the KTM factory bikes however, that made him smile.. After finally getting fed up with his dodgy teams inability and his machine's inferiority, Ant decided to make a move that perhaps he should have made three, four years earlier.. He took a WSS ride and rode in three races, he took three podiums, including two wins.. Two of the podiums were IN THE DRY... One was a majestic wet weather ride where he destroyed the field at a track he'd never raced on..

2008, Big opportunity, after testing the KWAK in 07 and campaigning quite competantly for the second half of the 07 season, big things were expected.. However Kawasaki failed to deliver.. Leaving himself and Hopkins struggling horribly.. In the end they fail to give Ant clarity on his future while allowing Melandri to test the bike in sectet... Ant found out about this test from Melandri himself, real good Kawasaki, real nice..

09, WSS Champ :D 2010, WSBK Champ :D

Call it the love of the underdog, or just an attachment to a certain rider after following his progress for so long, i don't know.. But i believe Ant has the talent that Stoner, Vermeulen etc posses and i believe given the right package, he could run at the front in MotoGP...

I believe he will dominate in 2009, providing Stiggy keep up their form.. And then he will move onto bigger and better things in 2010, in a paddock that im sure suits his lifestyle a whole lot more.. Lets just hope he's getting paid..

*rant over*

Very, very good, well reasoned post Jake. I would disagree that Ant is of the calibre of Stoner, Rossi and Pedrosa (possibly Lorenzo and Dovizioso as well) but I think he's definately the equal of the rest of the field. Here's hoping for the 09-10 WSS-WSB champ double. :up:

patnicholls
29th October 2008, 13:05
A full WSS season in 09 should give us enough of a clue as to where he's at in terms of a WSS/WSB future.

Obviously, this year's Stiggy riders - particularly Josh Brookes - and his team-mate for next year Gianluca Vizziello (I think Westy would be expected to be well ahead of him) are the yardstick. Top 5/6 overall in WSS would probably be the expectation if Stiggy are as they have been this year (with Ten Kate, Yamaha SSP most likely and a few others in the mix).

CaptainRaiden
29th October 2008, 23:32
Some good points put forward here, some agreeable, some non-agreeable. But I would reserve my judgment until the end of the 2009 WSS championship. :D

tha_jackal
30th October 2008, 11:21
Anthony West poised for Stiggy Honda Debut

By Matthew Birt

World Superbikes
30 October 2008 10:27

Axed factory Kawasaki MotoGP rider Anthony West will make his Stiggy Honda World Supersport debut at the new Portimao circuit in Portugal next week.

The Aussie, who has lost his ZX-RR berth to Italian Marco Melandri after a tough 2008 campaign, will make his debut for the Stiggy Honda outfit next Wednesday.

West, who won two World Supersport races for Yamaha in the early part of 2007 – performances which secured him his big chance with Kawasaki – said: “I test the bike with Stiggy’s team on the Wednesday following the World Superbike race in Portugal. I’ll go to that race on the Sunday and then do the test on the Wednesday.”

West said he was just looking forward to being on a competitive bike next season having struggled to make any impact alongside John Hopkins in MotoGP.

He added: “I’m looking forward to being competitive and hopefully winning some races, which will be a better feeling than being at the back every week. I’m a little sad to leave MotoGP but after this year I’ll just be glad to get some good results and look to the future.”

The future includes plans to switch to World Superbikes in 2010, which had been his original intention for next season.

West said: “I asked Stiggy if I could ride the superbike but it seems its a new bike and not developed yet, and they didn’t want me to get on it. Stiggy wants me on the 600 where I’ve had good results before and if I do well I’ll go up to superbike from there. It’s a step backwards but I’ll be on a competitive bike because it has been pretty depressing this year.”

Be interesting to see the times he posts, if they're even released :)

T-D
30th October 2008, 13:25
i think it is a good move to ride the supersports bike instead of the unsorted superbike. when you consider the competition at the superbike level, westy would very well be looking at top tens as good results, instead of wins and podiums. the plan has to be to win the supersport title and advance to superbike with a premier team (no offense to stiggy, but they are not ten kate, yamaha, suzuki or ducati) in 2010.

tha_jackal
4th November 2008, 23:35
westy on his new mount:

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/509874.jpg

nice bitta smoke in this one.. :up:
http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/509835.jpg

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/509836.jpg

looks comfy allready ;)

5th November 2008, 04:26
Great shots Jackal. Where did you gettem??? I didn't think he was going to be testing the Stiggy mount until today.

Good one...... :up:

tha_jackal
5th November 2008, 08:13
Great shots Jackal. Where did you gettem??? I didn't think he was going to be testing the Stiggy mount until today.

Good one...... :up:

Ye he just gave it a couple of laps to get a feel for it.. The full day of testing begins in earest today.. Hopefully they post some times too..

"Ex GP-rider Anthony West and World Superbike regular Gianluca Vizziello lapped on their Stiggy Honda Supersport machines, just to get their eye for day two (today.)"

Roby44
5th November 2008, 08:29
westy on his new mount:

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/509874.jpg

looks comfy allready ;)

Is Ant going to keep #13???

I would have lost the Kawasaki Monster helmet... :mad:

tha_jackal
5th November 2008, 10:05
i wouldn't keep 13.. hasn't exactly brought him 'luck' has it?
hope he goes back to 14... the new helmet will come in time :D
i think Monster could be a new personal sponsor for Ant now, they didn't stooge him.. Kwak did..

Roby44
5th November 2008, 11:21
i wouldn't keep 13.. hasn't exactly brought him 'luck' has it?
hope he goes back to 14... the new helmet will come in time :D
i think Monster could be a new personal sponsor for Ant now, they didn't stooge him.. Kwak did..

I thought that Monster and Kawa were connected...Thanks for clearing that up.

13 / 14 either one is good. I liked Ant's thinking on why to have #13 though..

tha_jackal
7th November 2008, 07:10
Yer Monster sponsor Kawasaki, but i think they've also backed Ant for 08 and possibly 09.. :)

Interview: Ex-MotoGP Rider Anthony West

Recently ousted from the Kawasaki MotoGP team, Anthony West rode today in Portugal. He'll be back in World Supersport next season. He's pretty happy about it, at least as happy as anyone who has a zebra on his bike can be.

Anthony West's dream of being a MotoGP rider turned into a nightmare in 2008 when the Kawasaki was shown to be uncompetitive and the team was unable to fix the bike while at the same time racing in the world championship. Soup saw him today in Portugal and grabbed a quick interview.

Q The whole MotoGP season was a disappointment. You're a good rider. It's unfortunate the way it worked out.

A Yeah, yeah. It was real disappointing, because I expected so much this year out of the bike, and how good it went last year, when I first dropped on, I was top ten. I had some good races. And then - so I expected more this year, and it just never happened. They never - never developed the bike the way I wanted, and they never really listened to me in the beginning, until sort of halfway through the season they actually started to realize I'm not talking when I'm telling them what's wrong with the bike. They finally started to listen a little bit, but it's a bit too late. They said they're building a bike for the way I like it, but it's not going to be ready 'til next year, and I'm not riding it, so it's no use to me.

Q Did they expect Superman performance on the bike? What were they basing it on, the idea that you were doing poorly? I don't understand. Because Hopkins wasn't performing any miracles on it either.

A Exactly. I don't know. I guess they need to blame someone, and that's me. They think - they always seemed to think their bike was perfect. Hopefully now they're finally starting to realize it's not, because our results haven't been good, and Hopkins hasn't been so good either, and he was fourth last year, and many times on the podium. Yeah. We both struggled on it, and both had a lot of crashes. It was just a difficult season for both of us.

Q Were the bike problems just issues with the front end going into the corner, as was reported?

A It would change on how the bike was set up, but it's - it's just the balance of the bike is all wrong, and they're never going to fix it with just setting it up, with changing suspension. That was the problem. We kept trying to tell them to change the frame, and change this and that, but they wouldn't listen. Or wouldn't listen to me, because I guess I haven't been in MotoGP long enough for them to listen to me. And then finally at the end of the season, last race, the Japanese actually said, "Oh, yeah, we should've listened to you," because everything I've said's been correct. They finally realized that. It took them all season, but...

Q It's got to be frustrating when they would finally say that to you after everything you put in, and got thrown down the road a few times trying to make them happy.

A Yes. Yes.

Q Trying to make them happy.

A Yeah, it sort of pissed me off. But like - yeah, because they finally come to me and said, "Yeah, we should've listened to you in the beginning, and everything that you've said for the season on data and everything, it's been 100% correct on what's wrong with the bike, and we're building a bike for the way you - for your request next year, but sorry, you're not going to be riding it." So it's just been frustrating, because they haven't done enough keep going forward like all the other manufacturers have. So it's just frustrating for us riding the bike. You lose confidence when you already know they're not doing enough to make it go faster, and we're busting our balls trying to ride it.

Q From a rider's standpoint, if they're not trying to build any confidence in you ...

A Yeah. Like if they're coming with parts every weekend, and if they're not working, at least you know they're trying to do something. But -

Q But there weren't parts coming every weekend? You got two major revisions during the season, right?

A I wouldn't say that, no.

Q Really?

A No. I would say we went back to what we had last year. But it's a long story, and I don't really want to say anything bad about Kawasaki. But the revisions that we had were nothing, really. It was basically back to what we know works. Nothing new on the bike.

Q John had some issues on and off the track. He was injured, and he had the paddock incident at Misano or wherever it was. How did that affect the team?

A For sure it didn't do the team any good. Because I don't know. All the mechanics I work with - because I worked with John's side as well, before I switched to the other side - all the mechanics are great guys, and they all work really hard, and they don't make many mistakes. But you can just sort of feel in the team, everyone's a bit disappointed, because Kawasaki don't - just haven't - I don't know. They feel, as well, that they're not wanting to win as much as the other guys do. Like they're there racing, and they're putting a lot of money into it, but they just feel like they're not developing enough to want to win.

Q The passion and the desire perhaps isn't there as it is with other teams.

A Yeah. Yeah. And that's how the whole team, I think, feels, a little bit, as well. And yeah, it just - it's when the whole team feels like that. We're just sort of like, "Yeah, this is what we've got, and this is what we have to work with," and we just try and do the best we can each time, but we know we're not going to be at the front, because nothing's changing. So yeah. For everyone it's difficult, and yeah, with things, with John and that, I don't know. He just didn't seem as happy as what he did when he was with Suzuki, as well. It's just made the year even harder for him, and for me.

Q But you're back into a good situation for next year. Back in World Supersport now on a Stiggy Honda.

A Yeah. Should be competitive. I've ridden here before. It's pretty exciting racing here. It's like 125s in GP and that. I'm just looking for a good year, and just to be happy again, because last - this year was - like a great experience, and I'm happy Kawasaki gave me that opportunity to ride MotoGP, and if I had the chance I would still ride with them again. But I'd definitely do it differently. I'd definitely push them a lot harder. And now that I have the experience and be confident that I know what I'm saying's right. Because I've realized that everything I said to them was right. But I'm just looking forward to having a good year next year. And yeah. To have a bit of fun again racing.

I say good on him, because every word he's said is true.. Kawasaki are a joke, at all levels of bike racing and they really need to lift their game..

if your not slightly aggreived after treatment like that, well you aren't human..

WSS Champ 09 :D :D

fatman
8th November 2008, 21:03
That article in Soup isn't very flattering for Ant. He sounds like a big whiner to me. Regardless if the team did or didn't listen to him and regardless if he was right or wrong with his assessment of the bike. He just sounds like he's full of sour grapes.

I don't think this type of attitude helps Ants career at all.

Roby44
9th November 2008, 00:19
I don't think of it as sour grapes so much as Ant just telling it like it is..

Its an Aussie thing, we just call it as we see it, a shovel is a shovel, and it can get us into trouble at times.. :o

9th November 2008, 00:51
That article in Soup isn't very flattering for Ant. He sounds like a big whiner to me. Regardless if the team did or didn't listen to him and regardless if he was right or wrong with his assessment of the bike. He just sounds like he's full of sour grapes.

I don't think this type of attitude helps Ants career at all.

Sour grapes?????.....Bull S..t!!! :arrows:
This was obviously a transcript from a recorded interview. West was being asked specific questions and gave straight-forward responses.
Would you honestly expect him not to mention that his suggested remedies were ignored and not acted on.....not by the team, but by Kawasaki... and that they subsequently conceded that he was right??????
Bloody hell......The first thing the team requires of a rider is feedback in order to improve the performance of the bike at a particular circuit and it appears that you are implying that if either the team or the manufacturer don't act on a rider's feedback and the rider later comments about being peed off by that feedback not being acted on, the rider is whining or whinging.
When considering that this interview took place after he had left the team, I doubt that in the circumstances, any reasonable person would have expected West to provide responses to questions that did not accurately reflect his version of what took place and his opinions on the topic.