PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Daytona Repaving

Alexamateo
17th July 2010, 04:58
http://www.roadsbridges.com/Road-on-the-Super-Bowl-article11859

For your enjoyment. :)

muggle not
17th July 2010, 15:39
Good article and, as you say, interesting reading. this is just a little "blip" from the article:

A motor grader and soil compactor will come in and execute the fine grading operations after the surface is removed on the turns. Here is where Lane’s innovation comes into play. Before grading begins, Lane will remove the catch fence and safer barrier and drop in a dirt backfill behind the outside wall. The backfill will serve as a service road for Caterpillar D8 and D9 dozers, which will use “cables and winches” to hold the grader and compactor at the 30° banking angle of the turns. A standard milling machine and grader will handle the work on the straightaways.

Alexamateo
17th July 2010, 16:59
I did my senior thesis project in 1991, (Landscape Architecture Mississippi State, a race track development, naturally ;) ) During the research phase, I drove over to Paragon Engineering in Birmingham, AL and they pulled out all of the old working drawings to show me (from Talladega). That's essentially what they did at the time. They built a service road on top and bottom of the bank, and then literally bolted the pavers and other equipment to I-beams attached to two tractors in order to keep them up on the banking.

wbcobrar
17th July 2010, 21:10
Thanks for sharing the article. Are they re-paving the road course at Datona as well?

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2010, 08:09
Fantastic article. My only hope is the paving they do wears a little and gives us come character. The one annoying thing about Talladega is tires don't wear on it, and that is a shame. Well set up cars come to the front on pavement that isn't smooth and uniform....and old ashphalt is the best...

That said, you cannot repave a place and not have new paving...so that is about the last frontier left and I think they explain a little of this process..but I would think if it was possible, they would give a paving that is "old" in all but reality.

slorydn1
20th July 2010, 10:22
Fantastic article. My only hope is the paving they do wears a little and gives us come character. The one annoying thing about Talladega is tires don't wear on it, and that is a shame. Well set up cars come to the front on pavement that isn't smooth and uniform....and old ashphalt is the best...

That said, you cannot repave a place and not have new paving...so that is about the last frontier left and I think they explain a little of this process..but I would think if it was possible, they would give a paving that is "old" in all but reality.

Refresh my memory but didn't they try spomething like that by "levigating" Charlotte a few years back, only to have the most cautions in a race in Nascar history? I think I'll wait for the track to age on its own , naturally, thank you very much :p :