PDA

View Full Version : VilleneuveRacing

Bagwan
15th July 2010, 15:13
It looks like there may be another team to go for an entry into the paddock .

Apparently , reports say he's got everything in place , and an official announcement will come soon .

I hope this is true .

Flav , Pat Symmonds and crew made up from the old Arrows and Super Aguri mechanics have been rumoured .

Dave B
15th July 2010, 15:23
Is the old boy that desperate for a race seat that he'll start his own team? I guess nobody else was going to hire him anytime soon... :p

Firstgear
15th July 2010, 15:34
Flav , Pat Symmonds and crew made up from the old Arrows and Super Aguri mechanics have been rumoured .

I'd like to add to the rumour, that Kimi will be his #2 driver (after all - #2's are taking the wins these days)

How many WDC's on the grid then?

I am evil Homer
15th July 2010, 16:03
Is Pat Symonds allowed back? Flabio too?

Dave B
15th July 2010, 16:44
Is Pat Symonds allowed back? Flabio too?
They won't be once the FIA introduce their system of licencing team personnel.

Bagwan
15th July 2010, 17:13
Is the old boy that desperate for a race seat that he'll start his own team? I guess nobody else was going to hire him anytime soon... :p

I knew you'd be first in , Davey .

Good job .

Essentially , you're right , albeit in a typically as cynical a tone as possible .

It's second time around for both driving , essentially , after a few years out , and for starting up a team .

From the sound of it , he's already farther ahead than USGP ever got , with the infrastructure in place , in England .

Whether Flav and Pat are involved or not remains to be seen .
And whether either name attached would be good for the team is also in question .

I sure hope this is all true , and that he is granted entry , as you would expect , I'm sure .
I truly believe you will be impressed enough with JV back at the wheel that you will need to write good things .
You'll see , Dave . You'll see .

UltimateDanGTR
15th July 2010, 17:13
I'd like to add to the rumour, that Kimi will be his #2 driver (after all - #2's are taking the wins these days)

How many WDC's on the grid then?

Probably wont get kimi too soon though:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85282

though, this is a 'believe it when i see it' thing, it all sounds ridiculous....

Bagwan
15th July 2010, 17:30
Apparently those two aren't involved , and the team will be based in Italy .

I read earlier that the rumour was that Ferrari would supply the power so this fits .

Also involved , I have read , is Durango from GP2 , with whom JV raced in the Speedcar series .

On a side note , he's also just been announced as running the #32 Dollar General car in the Sprint cup Indy race , making him the second , after Montoya , to have run the track in Cart , Nascar , and F1 .

As you'll note , the team is named "Villeneuve Racing" , not "Villeneuve F1" , so I expect , after he's done this time with F1 , he'll take it to Nascar .

But , he'll make some waves in F1 first if this all pans out , as it sounds it may .

Koz
15th July 2010, 22:08

They are. This has all to do with Rob Lowe's new plans on world domination, he's a backer of the team and a buddy of Flav's :p

Mark in Oshawa
15th July 2010, 22:22
Well if it doesn't go off, I don't think he will leave the toxic mess USf1 did...what a joke THEY were...

DazzlaF1
15th July 2010, 23:16
Team Villeneuve? I LIKE IT! :D

I dont think he'll get it realistically (I still think it'll be Epsilon Euskadi that gets the 13th place) but its one ambitious gamble on Jacques part if this is indeed true and it could help boost interest further of Formula 1 in Canada if he can pull this off.

Easy Drifter
16th July 2010, 03:05
Good grief Bags I know they grow good stuff over that way but!!!!!!!!!
Like no link!!!!!!!!!!
Have you being drinking Walkerton water?
Cdn's will understand that crack.
Especially near where Bags lives.

Sorry, I guess a little sick.

Easy Drifter
16th July 2010, 03:17
Sorry, my last post was out of line. I have had too much kickapoo joy juice.
Mods please delete it. :o

Saint Devote
16th July 2010, 03:39
A Villeneuve racing team in F1 would be something that his late father would have loved! Such a pity that Gilles is not around - he was not only a special racing driver but also someone that was a real fan as well.

Roamy
16th July 2010, 06:50

brockman this will be a business for JV and probably a very profitable one.
If he is quick he will probably drive one of the cars - if not he won't.
Are you jealous or what

pino
16th July 2010, 07:29
A Villeneuve racing team in F1 would be something that his late father would have loved! Such a pity that Gilles is not around - he was not only a special racing driver but also someone that was a real fan as well.

:up:

Rusty Spanner
16th July 2010, 08:46
As you'll note , the team is named "Villeneuve Racing" , not "Villeneuve F1" , so I expect , after he's done this time with F1 , he'll take it to Nascar .

I wouldn't read too much into the name if I were you. Bernie doesn't take kindly to any company using the F1 brand. USF1 got a slap on the wrist for the same thing if I recall correctly and had to change their name to USGP

gm99
16th July 2010, 12:12
JV starting and driving for his own team? Wow, that's a novel idea. Now, if he could only get Adrian Reynard, Craig Pollock and British American Tobacco on board, he might be on to something good :D

V12
16th July 2010, 12:35

I've actually read that there were rumours around just before the time of his death that Gilles was planning his own team too for 1983, although apparently some prospective backers dropped out and that a return to McLaren was more likely at the time.

Ent
16th July 2010, 13:25
If he starts his own team, he should start by sacking himself as a driver and getting someone whose days aren't well past him. As an owner/manager, though, it would be good to see him back in the paddock and I wish him the best of luck.

Bagwan
16th July 2010, 14:36
Villeneuve told BBC Sport:
"I've never made it a secret that I'm working hard on an F1 project.
But I've not discussed the details or what my plans were and I won't be drawn on it now. I'm not commenting."

This sounds good .

Nobody saw this coming .

Last year , we had rumours of Jacques driving just about everything on the damn grid , and then the demise of the StefanGP project .
We JV fans were hanging on every word , with all around us rolling thier eyes at the very possibility of Jacques getting a drive .

This year it's been pretty quiet , with most doors closed before they opened .

Now we know why it's been quiet .
He's not been knocking on team doors all over this time .
He's been putting his name on a door .

I fully expect a really serious outfit here .
He will not go half-way , with his name on that door .
And he will not make the same mistakes he made in starting the BAR effort .

I am loving this . Can ya tell ?

Years ago here on the forum , some will remember the debates , before my favourite driver was sent to the showers in the History and Nostalgia section .
We're gonna have some fun now , kids .

Here comes "Black Jacques" in his own car .

I am evil Homer
16th July 2010, 15:09
You know I never really liked the guy but the paddock could do with someone like Jacques and a new upstart team. Good luck to him - would prefer this to Hispania/HRT.

Bagwan
16th July 2010, 15:16
There could be two "VRs' on the grid next year .

The fact that it's been so quiet bodes well .
Bernie has to have known this was in the cards , and seems to have been able to keep it under his hat .

I think we'll find a few big names associated .

Poaching will be harder now that the cat is out of the bag , so I hope his first choices are done and dusted .

maximilian
16th July 2010, 18:24
I am liking it too, although I am more than skeptical... and time is once again running out.

I am wondering what kinds of connections are being made in the background. While apparently the remaining candidates are Epsilon Euskadi, Villeneuve, StefanGP and maybe Durango, there could be more to it.

By sheer set-up you'd almost have to give the edge to EE, as they have a very well established organization and facilities. However:

In some ways, it seems it would make more sense if EE buys out HRT. 2 Spanish teams on the grid, both of them struggling? Seems to me if they just consolidate, they'd both be better served!

Some rumors link Villeneuve with Durango, so it may be a joint entry. But I also wonder whether Villeneuve and StefanGP might combine their efforts, still using the 2010 Toyotas as the base (would make sense to at least not have to start all the way from scratch), and some of the "renegade" technical people were already associated with StefanGP and are now rumored for Villeneuve. So perhaps there is a connection there?

To me, a good outcome would be EE buying out HRT and finally getting that team in order, and a joint effort Villeneuve Racing (with StefanGP AND/OR Durango involved), which would be a pretty strong line-up.

VkmSpouge
16th July 2010, 20:04
It certainly looks interesting. If Durango are involved with Jacques Villenueve's F1 project then that should provide a solid foundation upon which to build a team. Weren't Durango rumoured to be after the Toyota TF110s?

DazzlaF1
16th July 2010, 23:49
It certainly looks interesting. If Durango are involved with Jacques Villenueve's F1 project then that should provide a solid foundation upon which to build a team. Weren't Durango rumoured to be after the Toyota TF110s?

I remember hearing Durango were saying they had a group of investors that were only interested in lodging an F1 application, maybe Villeneuve was one of those "investors"

The BBC are saying that his is one of 3 in the running for the 13th slot, the other 2 are most likely Epsilon Euskadi and Stefan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8826793.stm

steveaki13
17th July 2010, 00:01
When is the 13th team for 2011 being announced?

It can't be to much longer can it?

Hondo
17th July 2010, 00:07

I read earlier that the rumour was that Ferrari would supply the power so this fits .

Also involved , I have read , is Durango from GP2 , with whom JV raced in the Speedcar series .

On a side note , he's also just been announced as running the #32 Dollar General car in the Sprint cup Indy race , making him the second , after Montoya , to have run the track in Cart , Nascar , and F1 .

But , he'll make some waves in F1 first if this all pans out , as it sounds it may .

Don't forget Mario Andretti and Dan Gurney.

Saint Devote
17th July 2010, 01:19
I've actually read that there were rumours around just before the time of his death that Gilles was planning his own team too for 1983, although apparently some prospective backers dropped out and that a return to McLaren was more likely at the time.

It is written about in the Gerald Donaldson book "Villeneuve".

Anyone who loves racing and reading that book HAS to come away as fan of the French Canadian and he was so proud of being a North American as well.

Anyone else remember the brilliant restart at Road America when in 1995 Jax just lit the tyres and on the outside drove around Tracy, Unser and I THINK Andretti jr? It was just so like something his late father would have done and would have derived so much enjoyment watching Jax do.

The only driver in f1 today that reminds me anything of Gilles is actually Lewis Hamilton and like Gilles he too is teammate to my favorite driver!!

Dave B
17th July 2010, 09:30
But I also wonder whether Villeneuve and StefanGP might combine their efforts, still using the 2010 Toyotas as the base [...]
StefanGP no longer have a lease on either the cars or the facilities, and I can't see Toyota (or anybody else) doing business with them ever again.

wmcot
17th July 2010, 09:39
How about Paul Tracy or Tagliani as the 2nd driver? They could change the team name to CanadaF1...

wmcot
17th July 2010, 09:41
You know I never really liked the guy but the paddock could do with someone like Jacques and a new upstart team. Good luck to him - would prefer this to Hispania/HRT.

And he could also sing the anthem from his car before the Canadian GP! ;)

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 13:25
I like JV, and want him back.

His own team. Sorry my dear bloke, you will need a billion of us dollars first.

inimitablestoo
18th July 2010, 09:15
I've just thought of something - if Villeneuve did get the final slot, presumably they'd be last on the entry list, which means one of the cars would be carrying the famous number 27...

christophulus
18th July 2010, 10:15
It is a partnership with Durango: http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/07/17/durango-confirms-villeneuve-partnership/

Koz
18th July 2010, 10:37
Sounds good, I just really hope Dallara isn't involved in any way... Somehow very sad that JV has to start his own team to get a drive.
But hey they could hire Bruno Senna and we'd have a "Villeneuve vs Senna", I can see $$$ appearing... :p

The guy should just run and hide... The man hasn't driven in 5 years. And he hasn't driven well in well over a decade... He will saidly fail and forever be known as a lucky fluker that turned into some desperate freakshow... :(

Bagwan
18th July 2010, 12:29
I've just thought of something - if Villeneuve did get the final slot, presumably they'd be last on the entry list, which means one of the cars would be carrying the famous number 27...

Nice thought , Stoo .

13th grid spot sounds ominous , though .
Maybe ART's Todt is too superstitious .

That number 27 will look good on JV's car .
Good , good mojo .

Damn , I hope this entry is granted .

markabilly
18th July 2010, 15:53
They are. This has all to do with Rob Lowe's new plans on world domination, he's a backer of the team and a buddy of Flav's :p
well, if you look carefully at both Lowe and Flav's backgrounds......err... :confused:

anyway, when JV was tearing things up in 1995, 1996, and in 1997 when he took down Schuie for the WDC, I was convinced that he would put the likes of Schuie and many others in the shade, including his own dad....but then something happenned

Coming back as a driver with his own newly formed team when from 1999 to his "retirement", he did so little....and given what seems to be schuie's "return" problems with a team good enough to have won the WDC last year.....

well, everyone can dream I guess... :rolleyes:

Bagwan
18th July 2010, 18:17
We don't drink Koolaid on this here bus Billy-boy .

Last time was scuttled by that Reynard fella , and he won't be invited this time .
And no big mouth Richards around to undermine the effort , either .

Top Todt just visitted those Nasty fellas over in the snakes , where JV is schooling this coming weekend .
Can't see Villeneuve Racing keeping him from running more than one series , and that could sure result in some fancy-a$$ed marketting opportunities .

Y'all want caviar on that Brickyard burger sir ?

This bus has Villeneuve Racing on the side , and it aint slowing down .

Koz
18th July 2010, 23:24
well, if you look carefully at both Lowe and Flav's backgrounds......err... :confused:

There were rumors that Lowe and Flav (and a few others) were going to buy up Miramax together for $700m or some such. New rumors suggest Flav ain't involved... (But really, we all know he is hatching a diabolical plan of world domination in one way or another.)

Koz
18th July 2010, 23:36
Does JV believe his team will be competitive right from the start? He knows they won't, it'll take 3-5 years for any hope at all... He'll be close to 45...

What does he really expect is my question?

call_me_andrew
19th July 2010, 01:58
I wish to believe that JV has no intention of driving the car.

Dave B
19th July 2010, 10:50
This quote (with my bold) from the boss of Durango doesn't exactly make clear whether he'd be driving or not.

Regarding Villeneuve’s role, Pinton said: “Together with being driver, I’m sure he will actively contribute to the company. I think he’s preparing himself the job to do after he quits driving.”

Source: http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/07/17/durango-confirms-villeneuve-partnership/

I guess it depends if he wants to be at the back of the grid or right at the back of the grid :p

Roamy
19th July 2010, 18:35
I would expect JV will test the car and make driving decisions after that. Long term he may well want to be a team principal. However I expect a lucrative NASCAR contract coming to maybe VR will change focus. I kind of suspect that his F1 deal again is tied to the Toyota aftermath. With money and contracts in place.

rohanweb
19th July 2010, 21:56
i would rather think JV make partnership with Williams team and bring abck the williams as the championship winners again, heping his former employer sir frank williams dont you think its great to help the ailing man (patrick is getting too old as well) .... by starting a new team or going with some unknown unproved new team Jaques risking his hard earned money, being the bottom 2 teams never going to be any better for JV

Koz
20th July 2010, 00:51
i would rather think JV make partnership with Williams team and bring abck the williams as the championship winners again, heping his former employer sir frank williams dont you think its great to help the ailing man (patrick is getting too old as well) .... by starting a new team or going with some unknown unproved new team Jaques risking his hard earned money, being the bottom 2 teams never going to be any better for JV

And I quote:

A kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life.

Bottom teams... Remember JV leaving Williams for a new team?

Roamy
20th July 2010, 02:45
As I said I expect they have purchased the toyota stuff lock stock and barrel if approved.

D28
20th July 2010, 03:21
The guy should just run and hide... The man hasn't driven in 5 years. And he hasn't driven well in well over a decade... He will saidly fail and forever be known as a lucky fluker that turned into some desperate freakshow... :(

JV has won too many major races and Championships in N. America and the world, ever to be known as a fluker. He retains significant F1 stats including shared rookie records with Lewis Hamilton (4 wins, second in championship).
Whatever he does is up to him and his partners. I doubt that the proposed F1 team could be sucessful, the odds are formidable, but one can't blame him for trying. Best of luck Jaques.

Roamy
20th July 2010, 06:05
I expect Canadian Tire will be a major partner as well

Hondo
20th July 2010, 13:30
Considering the fact that no team Jacques Villeneuve has driven for has ever wanted him back after he was dismissed or walked off, I don't see him back on the grid as an owner or a driver unless he personaly funds the entire team. I don't believe anybody with any sense would partner with him unless it was for the use of the name only.

Koz
20th July 2010, 14:30
Roamy, yeah, I'm a f*ing idiot and I''m 11. But that doesn't change how JV's career turned out.
Maybe he was someone special, but that was for a VERY brief period, and a certain chap called Newey was there too, lest we forget.

But what happened afterwards? Did he ever show anything again?
He was constantly outpaced by his teammates. And let's not forget how he struggled in the Renault in 2004, how were his 3 races compared to Alonso?

Now, after struggling from being away from F1 for less than a year, how do you think he will do now after 5 years?

Now I have a question for ya, when has JV beaten a teammate with any substance?

D28: True, but then again Williams did have the fastest car on the track wasn't it?

Dave B
20th July 2010, 15:04
Erm:

Al Saadi Gaddafi there among the potential donors of Durango F1 project in 2011. The son of the King of Libya, American (including Perugia and Sampdoria), often in Italy, an entrepreneur with varied interests

Excuse the dodgy Google translation, the original is here:
http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=28206&cat=1

How strange, if true. :s

Edit: Joe Saward also has the story:

The latest rumours suggest that money could be coming for the Italian team from one of the sons of Colonel Gaddafi, the eccentric 68-year-old ruler of Libya.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/noise/

D28
20th July 2010, 15:24
Roamy, yeah, I'm a f*ing idiot and I''m 11. But that doesn't change how JV's career turned out.
Maybe he was someone special, but that was for a VERY brief period, and a certain chap called Newey was there too, lest we forget.

But what happened afterwards? Did he ever show anything again?
He was constantly outpaced by his teammates. And let's not forget how he struggled in the Renault in 2004, how were his 3 races compared to Alonso?

Now, after struggling from being away from F1 for less than a year, how do you think he will do now after 5 years?

Now I have a question for ya, when has JV beaten a teammate with any substance?

D28: True, but then again Williams did have the fastest car on the track wasn't it?

True he had the best car on track in 1997, but then that argument can be made for a host of champions, (Prost, Senna at times), yet is reserved by many for 1997. A look at HH Frenzen's records for the year are interesting, 1 win to 7 for JV, and 42 vs 81 points. Then I suppose HH is not "of substance", so these arguments lead nowhere.
The stat I like most is his feat of pole position first time out. This he shares with Mario Andretti and C. Reuteman.
There is no need to disparage his accomplishments, they are set forever.

Roamy
20th July 2010, 15:36
Koz I think it is pretty much a fact that switching cars creates downtime regardless of how long you have been out of racing. The facts behind the history reveal his career was not all that bad. Jock Clear has substantiated JV's abilities over and over but everyone on this forum must be a race engineer.
Sure he had some struggles with assholes like Richards, but the fact is before Richards arrived the team was headed in the right direction. the 2004 honda had alot of input from JV and Willis.

Furthermore it would be a hell of a accomplishment to bring a startup into contention. As the name suggests F1 may not be where he ends up. Nascar at the brickyard this weekend will be interesting if he qualifies.

He may make a excellent team principal - probably better than some of the recent idiots like windsor.

JV is smarter than to try and drive a POS to the front in this league which will rarely happen with any driver. If you have ever had a position on a race team you would know there are many other things going on behind the scene.

Easy Drifter
20th July 2010, 16:47
I doubt Cdn. Tire would get involved. They operate totally within Canada now. Their foray into the US market failed years ago.
They spend quite a bit tied in with the taxi cab series in Canada.
Their Indy sponsorship of Oncle JV was tied in with Dave Billes and his Performance Engineering. The Billes family founded Cdn. Tire but are no longer a controlling interest.

JasonD
20th July 2010, 21:32
No way Crappy Tire would be involved, to high a price for so little impact, F1 simply doesnt meet its marketing model of female shoppers and NASCAR.

Dave B
21st July 2010, 12:37
JV had denied rumours (see above) that Gadaffi duck may be involved:

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/07/21/villeneuve-tries-to-quash-rumours/

Probably just as well!

Retro Formula 1
21st July 2010, 13:58
I have bit my lip on this one but really need to know why people are getting excited?

Lets face it, JV was a reasonable peddler but not top class no matter how much Jock bigs him. Jock made his name off the back of Jacques so will not say he was crap, will he. Personally, if I were a driver and Jock was running ones side of the garage, I would want the other side because he tends to be unlucky. Since JV, has he been on the winning side of the garage?

Then we have Durango. What in Gods name makes people get excited about this bunch? Practically bankrupt and lower mid table team at best. I can't remember any of their drivers finishing a season better than 10th in GP2 so what makes them think they will succeed in F1?

This is not a team that will be successful in F1. I stake my reputation on it. The best they can hope is they get a place and a manufacturer buys them.

D28
21st July 2010, 16:54
Lets face it, JV was a reasonable peddler but not top class no matter how much Jock bigs him.

Could you provide some evidence for this assertion.
JV was a winner in every development series he entered, but his reputation really is based in N America (F. Atlantic and CART). His CART wins 94-95 did not come from simply driving the best car, CART was a very competitive, seriies in those years. He won the 95 title racing against Al Unser Jr, Paul Tracy, E. Fittipaldi, Michael Andretti and others.
Good luck, or superior equipment does not explain wins and championships in various series. His 97 F1 title was won against M. Schumacher, decisevely, as I recall. He was one driver not mesmerized by Schumacher, and willing to mix it up with him. His 11 F1 wins are still 2 more than J. Button, this may change, still Button has to win 3 more to better him.
All this to say that the intense dislike of JV may be based more on a prickly personality, fair enough, but cannot fairly be based on his racing record.

Retro Formula 1
21st July 2010, 17:28
Could you provide some evidence for this assertion.
JV was a winner in every development series he entered, but his reputation really is based in N America (F. Atlantic and CART). His CART wins 94-95 did not come from simply driving the best car, CART was a very competitive, seriies in those years. He won the 95 title racing against Al Unser Jr, Paul Tracy, E. Fittipaldi, Michael Andretti and others.
Good luck, or superior equipment does not explain wins and championships in various series. His 97 F1 title was won against M. Schumacher, decisevely, as I recall. He was one driver not mesmerized by Schumacher, and willing to mix it up with him. His 11 F1 wins are still 2 more than J. Button, this may change, still Button has to win 3 more to better him.
All this to say that the intense dislike of JV may be based more on a prickly personality, fair enough, but cannot fairly be based on his racing record.

Intense dislike????

You, my son, are pissing up the wrong tree. Jacques is one of my favourite drivers and as far as a prickly personality goes, I find him quite refreshing. Don't think that because someone tries to be objective about a driver means there is some fanboy / hate fanatic thing going on. There's too many of those idiots around here already so perhaps we can discuss the good and bad points of a driver or team without sinking to the usual playground level :dozey:

Now, back to Jacques. He was in a superb car in 97 and the Williams was all but unbeatable. However, looking at his career as a whole, he only bested his team mates twice more than he was bested himself. Looking at those team mates, we see the likes of Zonta, Panis, Hill, Sato, Frentzen and Massa being the mainstay. In fact, the only credible driver (you cannot class Massa as a credible driver back then even though he beat JV) was Alonso for 3 races where he was outscored 14-0.

So, I say again. He is a fair peddler but not top class IMHO no matter how fun and exciting he may have been.

As for his career outside F1 in America, I cannot comment on as I know very little about it so will conceed he was the Mutts Nuts if you like. However, it's not F1 and we are talking F1 on these boards.

truefan72
21st July 2010, 18:15
JV has won too many major races and Championships in N. America and the world, ever to be known as a fluker. He retains significant F1 stats including shared rookie records with Lewis Hamilton (4 wins, second in championship).
Whatever he does is up to him and his partners. I doubt that the proposed F1 team could be sucessful, the odds are formidable, but one can't blame him for trying. Best of luck Jaques.

yep, well said

D28
21st July 2010, 18:16
Intense dislike????

You, my son, are pissing up the wrong tree. Jacques is one of my favourite drivers and as far as a prickly personality goes, I find him quite refreshing. Don't think that because someone tries to be objective about a driver means there is some fanboy / hate fanatic thing going on. There's too many of those idiots around here already so perhaps we can discuss the good and bad points of a driver or team without sinking to the usual playground level :dozey:

Now, back to Jacques. He was in a superb car in 97 and the Williams was all but unbeatable. However, looking at his career as a whole, he only bested his team mates twice more than he was bested himself. Looking at those team mates, we see the likes of Zonta, Panis, Hill, Sato, Frentzen and Massa being the mainstay. In fact, the only credible driver (you cannot class Massa as a credible driver back then even though he beat JV) was Alonso for 3 races where he was outscored 14-0.

So, I say again. He is a fair peddler but not top class IMHO no matter how fun and exciting he may have been.

As for his career outside F1 in America, I cannot comment on as I know very little about it so will conceed he was the Mutts Nuts if you like. However, it's not F1 and we are talking F1 on these boards.

Ok You don't dislike him, fair enough. I was just trying to figure out the antipathy towards him in general by many people here. I do feel he is held to a different standard then others, not sure why exactly.
The N. American experience is relevant, as there he really was competitive against some former F1 drivers. He was a winner even as a rookie, just as in F1. Indeed one of his impressive rookie F1 stats is number of races before victory. He is 4th or 5th all time depending on how you treat 1950, winning in his 4th outing.
He showed the same winning ability, and composure, in CART as he showed against the likes of M. Schumacher.
Without looking up all records, my impression is that he was competitive with most drivers above, except Alonso. At one point he had more wins then all his former mates outside Hill combined. Not now of course.
A fair peddler still seems to be damming JV with faint praise.

truefan72
21st July 2010, 18:25
I have bit my lip on this one but really need to know why people are getting excited?

Lets face it, JV was a reasonable peddler but not top class no matter how much Jock bigs him. Jock made his name off the back of Jacques so will not say he was crap, will he. Personally, if I were a driver and Jock was running ones side of the garage, I would want the other side because he tends to be unlucky. Since JV, has he been on the winning side of the garage?

Then we have Durango. What in Gods name makes people get excited about this bunch? Practically bankrupt and lower mid table team at best. I can't remember any of their drivers finishing a season better than 10th in GP2 so what makes them think they will succeed in F1?

This is not a team that will be successful in F1. I stake my reputation on it. The best they can hope is they get a place and a manufacturer buys them.

there are not that many drivers who can claim to be WDC - He is one of them

even fewer who had done it in their first two years and against MSC - he did it

Not that many drivers stuck around williams for long and their list of dissatisfied and broken relationships includes no fewer than 3 WDC who left pretty much right after winning the titles for williams.

He left to the upstart BAR team and naturally struggled. His drives at BMW, Sauber and Renault where not his best but circumstances where not to his liking. I think he is past his prime and would not be advisable to be a driver in 2011 f they do get a grid spot, but that doesn't take away from some sterling accomplishments in his career.

I would rather enjoy his return to F1 as a team principle.

VkmSpouge
21st July 2010, 19:32

A pretty safe bet considering most teams that enter F1 are never successful.
Durango though don't have a terribly brilliant record in GP2 or F3000, 3 wins in five seasons of GP2 and 1 win in three years of F3000. While none of their drivers have finished above 10th place in the GP2 Series in F3000 Durango drivers finished 6th and 9th in the Drivers' Championship (not that's anything to write home about). It is worth mentioning that in Auto GP, Durango's Carlos Iaconelli has won 3 out of 8 races this season.
Best that can be said about Durango is that they will provide a solid if unspectacular base for Jacques Villeneuve to build an F1 team around.

DazzlaF1
24th July 2010, 22:26
Speaking of Villeneuve, big congratulations to him on qualifying for this weekends NASCAR Cup race at Indianapolis

call_me_andrew
24th July 2010, 23:12
Given the fact that Villeneuve only drove a total of 16 laps in 4 practice sessions, I suspect he is now a start and park driver.

grantb4
25th July 2010, 22:02
He made it to the end!

gm99
25th July 2010, 22:14
He made it to the end!

And actually won the "former Indy 500 winners" ranking by finishing ahead of Hornish Jr. and Montoya :p

Dave B
27th July 2010, 16:06
Another pearl of wisdom (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85602)from Durango's Ivone Pinton:

I hope Jacques will soon be able to have an F1 seat, because that will mean we are definitely in the circus.

You can say that again :laugh:

Mia 01
27th July 2010, 18:10
JV is a dreamer, but a likeable one.