PDA

View Full Version : Donkey of the race - Silverstone 2010

Dave B
11th July 2010, 15:06
Alonso for making a hash of his start, then getting penalised because of his unwillingness to give the place back to Kubica.

Erm, that's it really.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:07
Alonso for making a hash of his start, then getting penalised because of his unwillingness to give the place back to Kubica.

Erm, that's it really.
Mercedes for pitting Schumacher so early and putting him behind Button and Kobayashi.

UltimateDanGTR
11th July 2010, 15:10

agreed. :up:

Robinho
11th July 2010, 15:11
close one, but I've got to give it the other way in Ferrari, to Massa.

I think he managed to hit Alonso on the 1st lap, and that caused a puncture, and then whilst racing around at the back he managed to spin by getting on the power too soon, into the pitlane and forced himself into an extra pit stop.

I'm not sure if its just Silverstone (remember that wet race?) but he's starting to regress back into his early career.

Alonso was also poor, messed up the start, overtook on the grass and tried to claim he was "ok" with being forced onto the grass in order to defelect the FIA investigation he surely knew was coming. the resulntant penalty turned out to be very harsh, but on the other hand, so well deserved

Garry Walker
11th July 2010, 15:15
alonso obviously and vettel too.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2010, 15:17
alonso obviously and vettel too.

Vettel was no donkey.

RBR on the other hand...

woody2goody
11th July 2010, 15:18

Erm, that's it really.

Yep, he had the faster car, so he should have just let him back through and tried again. He would have ended up higher than where he finished anyway.

Tazio
11th July 2010, 15:47
Fred for throwing the race away at the start, and Felipe for driving like a tool.

woody2goody
11th July 2010, 15:54
Vettel was no donkey.

RBR on the other hand...

Vettel wasn't at fault at the start, but he wasn't interested in charging hard until the safety car came out and he could see points ahead - just like how he only ever seems to win from pole.

Decent overtaking from him late on though, however I was surprised schumi didn't fight him harder and defend earlier but there you go.

woody2goody
11th July 2010, 16:02
Vettel did knock Sutil off the track which I had forgotten about.

Instant Mash
11th July 2010, 16:02
For the race: Alonso
For the weekend: Red Bull Racing (Despite their results)

steveaki13
11th July 2010, 16:08
Not taking away from the race win but for the reactions afterwards Red Bull. For only fanning the flames to the split camp issue with their handling of the weekend.

Media now will ask them about the comments made after the race and nothing else now.
On the Beeb for example all questions pushing this story on.
Good to watch though.

Bradley
11th July 2010, 16:13
Donkey of the race : angry little baby Vettel, for trying to shortcut Webber after the start by a "schumi"-style manoeuvre, causing himself a well deserved last position after lap 1.

What a waste of the new front wing ...

Imo Alonso was at equal level with Kubica and pushed off the track by the latter, so he was right to keep his position. The Marshalls decision was far too harsh.

woody2goody
11th July 2010, 16:17
Donkey of the race : angry little baby Vettel, for trying to shortcut Webber after the start by a "schumi"-style manoeuvre, causing himself a well deserved last position after lap 1.

What a waste of the new front wing ...

Imo Alonso was at equal level with Kubica and pushed off the track by the latter, so he was right to keep his position. The Marshalls decision was far too harsh.

The thing is, if Kubica had done that to Alonso, the Ferrari driver's whining would have gone on until Hockenheim.

Alonso should have played safe, because Kub a wasn't quick at all today and Fernando would have got past him at some point.

Mia 01
11th July 2010, 16:37
I didnīt liked it when Lewis got Seb a puncture at the start. There and then Sebs race was ruined.

wedge
11th July 2010, 16:42
Alonso should have played safe, because Kub a wasn't quick at all today and Fernando would have got past him at some point.

Kubica held off a much faster Kimi in Fuji 2008

Wasted Talent
11th July 2010, 17:21
The thing is, if Kubica had done that to Alonso, the Ferrari driver's whining would have gone on until Hockenheim.

Hockenheim 2011 more like

Donkey of the day - Alonso

WT

jens
11th July 2010, 17:51
Mercedes for pitting Schumacher so early and putting him behind Button and Kobayashi.

During the refueling era Team Schumacher was really comfortable in turning strategies into his favour. Besides Michael's general underperformance it looks like with the new rules they have lost a lot of ground in the strategical games too and haven't adapted to them well.

Vettel wasn't at fault at the start, but he wasn't interested in charging hard until the safety car came out and he could see points ahead - just like how he only ever seems to win from pole.

Wasn't interested? He was faaar behind everyone else, so he didn't have anyone to fight against and he was almost lapped in the beginning.

Overall I see that thanks to team's mismanagement Vettel has become the most hated driver on the grid and people bash him after every misfortune with great pleasure. :s He was very unfortunate that the slight touch by Lewis in T1 punctured his tyre and ruined the race.

OutRun
11th July 2010, 19:02

Michael Schumacher (9th): " I was in traffic for most of the race and did not really have a clear track. After the pit stop where I had to push really hard to make it in front of Rubens, I unfortunately made a mistake out of a slow corner which put me off the track. That cost me a lot of time plus two positions and that was it for today."

Ross Brawn, Team Principal: "Michael also had a good start and his position was looking interesting. We made an early pit stop to put him in fresh air, as he told us the guys around him were holding him up, but unfortunately he made a mistake and lost the advantage that we were gaining from the early stop. When the others made their stops, they were out in front of him, and with some damage to the car, that was really his race.

Donkey of the race is Alonso for cutting the corner.

F1boat
11th July 2010, 19:08
Alonso, Vettel and Michael...

anthonyvop
11th July 2010, 21:48
Charlie Whiting for turning what should have been a great race into a NASCAR event.

call_me_andrew
11th July 2010, 22:54
Donkey of the race: Donington Park for not hosting.

Big Ben
11th July 2010, 23:03
Well, Alonso was taught today a harsh lesson: never speak against the party. He wanted real penalties and got one... very cynical and a super fine execution. Reading his comments after the race itīs good to see he learnt his lesson. Formula 1 is just as bad, or maybe even worse than the romanian football league. I quit watching that one a long time ago, itīs a mistery why I keep watching this show... Iīve almost used quotation marks then I thought... no need... itīs only a show

Alonsoīs race wasnīt too good but Iīd be tempted to say FIA is the donkey of the race but that would make it all look unintentional.

Anubis
11th July 2010, 23:34
Charlie Whiting for turning what should have been a great race into a NASCAR event.

How on Earth do you reach that conclusion? We had one safety car for sodding great chunks of Sauber rear wing on the track, which is hardly up there with the NASCAR phantom debris yellows.

Jag_Warrior
12th July 2010, 02:46
Hockenheim 2011 more like

Donkey of the day - Alonso

WT

^This!

From the time the lights went out, Alonso did his best to capture the Donkey of the Race award. I feel it only right to give him what he worked so hard for today. :p

anthonyvop
12th July 2010, 02:50
How on Earth do you reach that conclusion? We had one safety car for sodding great chunks of Sauber rear wing on the track, which is hardly up there with the NASCAR phantom debris yellows.

I guess we were watching 2 different races.

Somebody
12th July 2010, 03:10
De La Rosa's pit crew for apparently sending him back out after his rear wing had started falling apart...

call_me_andrew
12th July 2010, 04:12
I guess we were watching 2 different races.

I guess Hornet and I were watching the same race because there were clearly large chunks of carbon fiber near the racing line that couldn't be cleaned with a local yellow.

NASCAR's problem is throwing yellow flags for debris (a reasaonable safety measure) and then no one can find the debris.

Ent
12th July 2010, 04:56
No wild accusations of Vettel choppity-chopping all over the start straight, and how shocking and dangerous his driving was? Or is it only chopping if done by certain drivers that certain posters here don't like? The silence is almost deafening. ;)

Ari
12th July 2010, 06:25
No wild accusations of Vettel choppity-chopping all over the start straight, and how shocking and dangerous his driving was? Or is it only chopping if done by certain drivers that certain posters here don't like? The silence is almost deafening. ;)

Funny isn't it? Anyone else would be crucified....

Donkeys: RBR Management.

turismo6
12th July 2010, 09:07
De La Rosa's pit crew for apparently sending him back out after his rear wing had started falling apart...

Spot on, He made it back to pits only to be sent out with no repairs... :confused:

Retro Formula 1
12th July 2010, 13:18
Where do you start?

Alonso was stupid at the overtake. He knows he went offtrack to effect the pass. He can moan and bitch all he wants about the gap was closed on him and he was forced off but the reality was that if there was a wall or a gravel trap there, he wouldn't have done it so give it back and do him again. Simples!

Ferrari management for not telling him to give it back and then not pitting him straight away to get him out again and back in the race. You always know there can be a SC and we saw that debris a lap before. Do those idiots even watch the race? By not getting him in, they lost huge points which ironically went to Vettel.

Schumacher. He's just a bit of a roadblock these days. One of the fastest cars on the grid and he's become everyone's whipping boy. In fact, I nearly called Northamptonshire Police because it looked like a mass German Mugging going on out there at one point!!

Vettel. Where do with start with this lad. Choppin the start, hitting Hamilton and accusing him of puncturing his tyre on purpose. Driving around at the back in clean air like a fart in a trance. Only saving grace for him was that after the SC, he decided to begin the race and made some great (and not so great) passes. At least we saw some fire.

Sauber. WTF were they thinking sending a car out that was held together with blue tack and sellotape. It looked like the phone box ariel out of Bill and Ted.

After all that, I think it has to go with the RB management for their amazing ability to shoot themselves so perfectly in both feet. If sh(t were brains, they couldn't fertalise a Daisy.

ioan
12th July 2010, 15:05
Ferrari management for not telling him to give it back and then not pitting him straight away to get him out again and back in the race. You always know there can be a SC and we saw that debris a lap before.

There can be a SC at any point in any race, so what exactly do you propose then? Pit everyone whenever you have a 'genius' idea?!

Retro Formula 1
12th July 2010, 23:54
There can be a SC at any point in any race, so what exactly do you propose then? Pit everyone whenever you have a 'genius' idea?!

If you try to base your replies on what I posted then it might make some sense. Unlikely, I grant you, but possible.

He had to come in within 3 laps and there was a damaged car out there shedding debris that might or might not necessitate a SC. Get him in quicker than after all 3 laps is what I said.

However, some people like you and Ferrari think different. That's OK, it's just that this sort of stupidity is normally what you slag the team off for.

Retro Formula 1
13th July 2010, 16:55
Donkey of the Race must now go to Ferrari.

3 times they were told to give the position back by Charlie and avoid the Stewards getting involved including immediatly after the incident.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258

"We told Ferrari three times that in my opinion they should give the position back to Kubica," Whiting was quoted as saying by Autosprint magazine.
"And we told them that immediately, right after the overtaking manoeuvre. On the radio, I suggested to them that if they exchange position again, there would be no need for the stewards to intervene.
"But they didn't do that and on the third communication they said that Kubica was by then too far back to let him regain the position.
"It's not true at all that the stewards took too long to decide. For us the facts were clear immediately: Alonso had gained an advantage by cutting the track."
Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said the team did not ask Alonso to let Kubica through because it did not feel the Spaniard has gained an advantage.
"He tried to be aggressive to overtake, and we complained the drivers not to be aggressive and we complain about the lack of overtaking, and so at that stage, we felt as we normally do at that moment that we need to go on the radio with race control to check what is the position," Domenicali said.
"And normally, we take the right time to discuss with race control to make the judgement, and the moment when race control give us the instruction to give back the position to Robert, it was clear that Robert had already lost a lot of time - effectively he had a problem and he came back. That is the situation we analysed.
"You can have a situation where immediately there is a possibility to give back the position to a driver if you feel that there is really an advantage that you gain. On our side we felt that was not the case otherwise we would have done it."

What do you say now ioan?

Daniel
13th July 2010, 17:02
Donkey of the Race must now go to Ferrari.

3 times they were told to give the position back by Charlie and avoid the Stewards getting involved including immediatly after the incident.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258

What do you say now ioan?
Errr I don't think Ioan has argued that they shouldn't have been penalised. just that a safety car could have happened at any time whereas you seem to think they knew there would be a safety car? Wtf?

Retro Formula 1
13th July 2010, 17:28
Errr I don't think Ioan has argued that they shouldn't have been penalised. just that a safety car could have happened at any time whereas you seem to think they knew there would be a safety car? Wtf?

Ferrari management for not telling him to give it back and then not pitting him straight away to get him out again and back in the race. You always know there can be a SC and we saw that debris a lap before. Do those idiots even watch the race? By not getting him in, they lost huge points which ironically went to Vettel.

I really am getting tired with your childish ranting. I don't know if it's worth replying to someone that is hell bent on just argueing silly points but please re-read my post. I never said there would be a SC but that a SC can happen at any time (which is the same as what ioan claimed for some reason so you're not alone in not reading posts before argueing against yourself) and that as there was debris out there for a lap before, then it stands to reason that there was a good chance it would come out to clear it up.

Now, can we please move on, especially in the light of the fact that this team of strategic lightweights were told 3 times to give the position up.

Daniel
13th July 2010, 17:31
I really am getting tired with your childish ranting. I don't know if it's worth replying to someone that is hell bent on just argueing silly points but please re-read my post. I never said there would be a SC but that a SC can happen at any time (which is the same as what ioan claimed for some reason so you're not alone in not reading posts before argueing against yourself) and that as there was debris out there for a lap before, then it stands to reason that there was a good chance it would come out to clear it up.

Now, can we please move on, especially in the light of the fact that this team of strategic lightweights were told 3 times to give the position up.
No one disagrees that they should have given the position up (Ioan doesn't either IIRC) so I don't see why you're using the fact that Charlie told them to give it up 3 times against Ioan :confused: