PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the race

Daniel
11th July 2010, 14:43
Webber, simply good from start to finish. Kobayashi, Rubens and Rosberg get mentions too.

woody2goody
11th July 2010, 14:48
Webber, simply good from start to finish. Kobayashi, Rubens and Rosberg get mentions too.

100% agree :)

wedge
11th July 2010, 14:51
What about Button?

Robinho
11th July 2010, 14:52
Webber faultless, Hamilton also kept up the pressure. Button had a good recovery from 14th to 10th, would be interesting to see an onboard of his 1st lap, made about 6 places.

Koby and Rubens deserve a mention, Vettel for his recovery, but it was his pig headedness that put him there

Dave B
11th July 2010, 15:01
Webber, lights to flag victory despite having RBR's old castoffs.

Honourable mentions to Button for fighting back from a dismal qualifying, and Barrichello for continuing Williams' quality run of points.

AndyL
11th July 2010, 15:04
Rubens proved that at least one ex-Ferrari driver is not ready for the old folks home yet!

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:04
I personally think Button got a little lucky with drivers in front of him pitting at the wrong stage of the race. He couldn't pass Rosberg when he had the chance.

truefan72
11th July 2010, 15:06
Webber Hamilton Rosberg in that order

honorary mention to Rubens, Kobayashi and Button

Dave B
11th July 2010, 15:07
I personally think Button got a little lucky with drivers in front of him pitting at the wrong stage of the race. He couldn't pass Rosberg when he had the chance.
The BBC commentary was saying that Jenson was saving fuel, which explains why he couldn't do anything about the Mercedes. But then that was Legard so it may have been gibberish...

UltimateDanGTR
11th July 2010, 15:08
Webber for being faultless and taking the victory lights to flag including jumping his team mate at the start.

Rubens for a brilliant drive in the williams, which clearly suited the circuit. same for Kobayashi.

A great start for Jenson deserves a mention, though he was lucky to end up 4th with kubica and alonso having their own problems.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:08
The BBC commentary was saying that Jenson was saving fuel, which explains why he couldn't do anything about the Mercedes. But then that was Legard so it may have been gibberish...
I watched the race with the 5 live commentary for once. Far better that way....

Dave B
11th July 2010, 15:10
Button had a good recovery from 14th to 10th, would be interesting to see an onboard of his 1st lap, made about 6 places.

10th by the time they started Hangar straight for the first time, and 8th at the end of the lap :up:

wedge
11th July 2010, 15:12

Webber couldn't get a gap over 10s on Hamilton which show the McLaren was a decent race car which Button took advantage of and the car wasn't quite to his liking.

wedge
11th July 2010, 15:13
10th by the time they started Hangar straight for the first time, and 8th at the end of the lap :up:

Helped by having cars flying off the track

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:14
Webber couldn't get a gap over 10s on Hamilton which show the McLaren was a decent race car which Button took advantage of and the car wasn't quite to his liking.
As I said though, Button got lucky with the others pitting too early. If Button was behind those other drivers and had to pass them he would have been far further down....

Corrine
11th July 2010, 15:19
Vettel only picked up his pace after the safety car, until then as much use as a chocolate teapot. He had a good 70 seconds handed to him under those circumstances, IMO he should have had the pace to catch up and overtake well before then.

Webber drove like a man possesed, brilliant drive, likewise Hamilton. The McLarens were pigs through qualifying, but again Button had the advantage of the safety car & pit stops from cars in front to make up position, not by overtaking.

Rosberg did it again, outqualifying Schumacher and outdriving him in the race, the more I see him the more I'm impressed. Unlike Webber he is keeping quiet, his head down and letting his driving do the talking within the team.

Alonso did have a penalty imposed that was quite harsh, but a penalty had to be given, what do the stewards do under those circumstances?

Kobyashi & Barrichello did extremely well and deserve a mention.

AndyL
11th July 2010, 15:21
As I said though, Button got lucky with the others pitting too early. If Button was behind those other drivers and had to pass them he would have been far further down....

And yet you nominated Rosberg, who also gained from making the right choice to pit later than cars in front of him? They all had the same opportunity to choose when to pit.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:23
And yet you nominated Rosberg, who also gained from making the right choice to pit later than cars in front of him? They all had the same opportunity to choose when to pit.
Yes but Rosberg was already up there.

AndyL
11th July 2010, 15:39
Yes but Rosberg was already up there.

Because he qualified 5th - this is supposed to be "driver of the race", not driver of the weekend :)
Button and Rosberg both benefitted from people having problems ahead of them, and from making the same strategic choice, I don't see how you can mark Button down for those things but not Rosberg.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:42
Because he qualified 5th - this is supposed to be "driver of the race", not driver of the weekend :)
Button and Rosberg both benefitted from people having problems ahead of them, and from making the same strategic choice, I don't see how you can mark Button down for those things but not Rosberg.
Meh. I just don't rate Button's drive this weekend.

AndyL
11th July 2010, 15:43
Meh. I just don't rate Button's drive this weekend.

Could it be that you don't rate Button at all?

Tazio
Webber Hamilton Rosberg in that order

honorary mention to Rubens, Kobayashi and Button

+1

Garry Walker
Webber.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 15:44

I could also be that I've got a bad tummy OR perhaps I just didn't find Button's drive to be all that great.

Instant Mash
11th July 2010, 16:03

Also 100% agree.

steveaki13
11th July 2010, 16:21
Webber firstly.

Then

Hamilton
Button
Barrichello
Kobayashi

This could be Yamamotos only ever mention on a Driver of the day thread

But I was sure he would spin off or pull out feeling unfit, but fairplay made the end and was around Chandhok.

Mia 01
11th July 2010, 16:29
For me, Nico, Rubens and Koba.

AndyL
11th July 2010, 16:30
This could be Yamamotos only ever mention on a Driver of the day thread

But I was sure he would spin off or pull out feeling unfit, but fairplay made the end and was around Chandhok.

I'm sure it will be his only ever mention :) But that's a good call, a respectable performance from him, especially if it's true he only got the call to drive on Thursday.

wedge
11th July 2010, 16:49

LOL!

I don't fancy much of Button but I know a good drive when I see one

Wasted Talent
11th July 2010, 17:24
Jenson. Made all his opportunities count with a car that was still a lot worse than Lewis'

WT

pino
11th July 2010, 18:11
Webber followed by Button :up:

christophulus
11th July 2010, 18:13
Hard to call between Webber and Hamilton for me. Hamilton pushed Webber a lot harder than expected in an inferior car, but Webber probably just edges it for sticking two fingers up at the team and driving the wheels off it.

Kobayashi too for another great drive, and Barrichello for dragging the Williams somewhere near the front.

jens
11th July 2010, 18:28
For the second race in a row great showings from both Barrichello and Kobayashi. Sauber has finally become reliable as well. Kubica was doing well - especially his start was brilliant. Shame about the car failure or whatever it was..

Great weekend by Rosberg, leaving Schumacher clearly in shade, and after some more unsuitable circuits MGP is showing the form they had around Turkish GP.

Brilliant start by Webber, which was the decisive moment of the race. He managed to sneak past Vettel much like it happened in reversed roles in Malaysia.

McLarens performed excellently in the race after a massively troubled qualifying. Certainly wouldn't have expected them to get such big points. If McLaren is capable of such damage limitation even on bad days, they are hard to beat in the championship.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2010, 18:35
Webber was excellent. Mentions to Hamilton, Rosberg, Barrichello and Kobayashi. Also, shame that Kubica's car expired. He's been fast and consistent.

OutRun
11th July 2010, 19:08
I liked Rosberg's performance. More experienced drivers were making mistakes but Rosberg stayed calm. Solid qualifying. Solid racing. He put in the quickest lap of the race before his pit stop. He passed Alguersuari to lock down his chance for the podium.

F1boat
11th July 2010, 19:13
Webber. Hamilton. Button.

JBAFCB
11th July 2010, 20:41
Button all the way. Has to be. 14th to 4th, surely no one expected that surely?

Barrichello and Kobi are punching well above their weight at the moment, but it's all about the Button

Saint Devote
12th July 2010, 02:24
There was only one driver in a class of his own today: WEBBER

Valve Bounce
12th July 2010, 05:11

100% agree also. I think the part which impressed me was after his pit stop, when he put his stamp on the race by setting fastest laps over and over. Then the final impressive bit was after teh SC when Mark had no trouble pulling away.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that Mark was still seething after the race beccause of teh wing fiasco, but for him to control his anger and drive impeccably says a lot for him.

ShiftingGears
12th July 2010, 05:14
100% agree also. I think the part which impressed me was after his pit stop, when he put his stamp on the race by setting fastest laps over and over. Then the final impressive bit was after teh SC when Mark had no trouble pulling away.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that Mark was still seething after the race beccause of teh wing fiasco, but for him to control his anger and drive impeccably says a lot for him.

IMO he should've left the post race comments to just that one radioed to Horner. That way they would have a lot less to stitch up.

Retro Formula 1
12th July 2010, 13:28
Webber for a superb drive in the 2nd hand car. OK it's still head (if perhaps not shoulders) above everything else but he was wonderful today.

Great drives by Button in getting through to 4th and Hamilton for keeping Webber on his toes.

Not too sure about Nico. My guts tell me it was a good drive but I have a sneaky feeling the car is pretty damn competitive. Just need a decent peddler in the 2nd seat to match him against. Wonder what Webber's up to next year?

Good old Rubens was up there as well and Koby's coming on, isn't he.

ioan
12th July 2010, 14:53
There was only one driver in a class of his own today: WEBBER
Yep, exceptional because for once he didn't ran into anyone! :D

F1boat
12th July 2010, 17:33
Yep, exceptional because for once he didn't ran into anyone! :D

Unlike Vettel, who rammed into Sutil.

Triumph
12th July 2010, 18:02
Webber, Hamilton and Button.

:-)

edv
13th July 2010, 17:07
The Best Driver?
He appeared on the podium.
He presented a trophy.

Sir Moss.

AndyL
13th July 2010, 17:57
The Best Driver?
He presented a trophy.

Sir Moss.

Excellent choice :D

In the same vein, I think a worthy nomination is deserved by Damon Hill, for the successful changes to the Silverstone circuit and for bringing the Grand Prix back there.

Anderton
13th July 2010, 22:29
The Best Driver?
He presented a trophy.

Sir Moss.
Loved his champagne avoidance on the podium!
For me the driver of the weekend was Lewis Hamilton, driving that car right on the edge considering how less competitive it was to some of the other cars.
Webber drove great, dominated the race day really.
Also a VERY solid race weekend for Kamui Kobayashi, definitely a star of the future imo.

Mia 01
14th July 2010, 01:05
Loved his champagne avoidance on the podium!
For me the driver of the weekend was Lewis Hamilton, driving that car right on the edge considering how less competitive it was to some of the other cars.
Webber drove great, dominated the race day really.
Also a VERY solid race weekend for Kamui Kobayashi, definitely a star of the future imo.

Lewis was on the edge, Seb noticed that.

Hondo
14th July 2010, 11:53
For me, Vettel was the driver of the race for doing so much to support Webber's championship run.

truefan72
14th July 2010, 22:05
Excellent choice :D

In the same vein, I think a worthy nomination is deserved by Damon Hill, for the successful changes to the Silverstone circuit and for bringing the Grand Prix back there.

Or you could nominate the folks at Donington for their complete ineptitude that allowed this silverstone to happen. They already consigned themselves to only running the MotoGP races prompting the changes to the circuit. but now have the makings of a good F1 track. Next year should be even better with the completion of the new start/finish area in that new stadium section.

Might have to make a trip there!

Garry Walker
14th July 2010, 22:32
Unlike Vettel, who rammed into Sutil.

usually vettel only rams his teammates.

Daniel
14th July 2010, 22:38
as opposed to Webber who'll clout anyone who gets in his way.

Garry Walker
14th July 2010, 22:43

it is not webbers fault when a stupid prick drives into him.

Hondo
15th July 2010, 08:44

...which is as it should be. So Fiero has spoken, so it shall be. Amen.