PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone: No room for FOTA in F1

MrMetro
8th July 2010, 13:12
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85059

Hawkmoon
8th July 2010, 13:14
Many people have been saying the same thing about Bernie for a number of years now.

Rusty Spanner
8th July 2010, 14:02
Bernie doesn't like FOTA. Imagine the surprise! His only argument appears to be that because FOTA is formed of teams competing against each other they'll always make decisions for selfish reasons rather than the good of the sport (pot, kettle and black spring to mind), but side steps the issue that the teams have already somewhat diffused the issue with a majority rather than unanimous voting system.

As for the row over branding in the pits, I can't see any good reason for it other than to cause trouble.

christophulus
8th July 2010, 15:32
As for the row over branding in the pits, I can't see any good reason for it other than to cause trouble.

It's a blatant tactic from Bernie to squeeze the teams a bit more.

To be fair, I've been impressed with the togetherness that the teams have showed since they started FOTA, particularly old rivals like McLaren and Ferrari actually getting along behind the scenes. I imagine Bernie didn't see much of a future for them and is starting to worry about the power they have.

ArrowsFA1
8th July 2010, 16:00
It's a bit like Balestre saying there was no place for FOCA all those years ago. Bernie didn't seem to have much problem with a team organisation then...because he ran it! Now he doesn't.

I am evil Homer
8th July 2010, 17:01
Oh dear the senile one been spouting off in the press again?

bblocker68
8th July 2010, 17:03
Bernie makes me giggle.

ShiftingGears
8th July 2010, 17:25
Many people have been saying the same thing about Bernie for a number of years now.

:up:

ioan
8th July 2010, 17:49
The lil' guy thinks he can run a show without teams, just like Max thought last season.

This is the same guy who only allowed for rather crappy coverage of F1 racing week ends and all that for astronomic amounts of money, and who has denied us the possibility seeing racing on some great tracks.

And before anyone comes to tell me how great Bernie is for turning F1 into what it is now, I will ask these people if they really like F1 as it is nowadays, a marketing show full of off track controversies with gimmicky rules.

MrMetro
8th July 2010, 18:51
The lil' guy thinks he can run a show without teams, just like Max thought last season.

This is the same guy who only allowed for rather crappy coverage of F1 racing week ends and all that for astronomic amounts of money, and who has denied us the possibility seeing racing on some great tracks.

And before anyone comes to tell me how great Bernie is for turning F1 into what it is now, I will ask these people if they really like F1 as it is nowadays, a marketing show full of off track controversies with gimmicky rules.

very well said. although f1 would not be as big without ecclestone's input, over the years, we have seen great tracks off the calender(france for example) or classic tracks ruined, such as hokenheim. and for what? utter crap races such as bahrain and valencia. do these actually create any decent racing? no. all they do is create much more cash for ecclestone and no benefit to the fans. if ecclestone thinks f1 would be better without the likes of mclaren or ferrari, then its time for someone new in charge, someone with fresh thinking, who actually understands the modern world of racing, someone who actually cares about the fans

UltimateDanGTR
8th July 2010, 20:37

Amen.

BDunnell
8th July 2010, 23:27
It's a bit like Balestre saying there was no place for FOCA all those years ago. Bernie didn't seem to have much problem with a team organisation then...because he ran it! Now he doesn't.

Yes, he is a man of extraordinarily 'versatile' opinions, isn't he?

Jag_Warrior
9th July 2010, 03:46

Actually I do like it for what it is. Even with its warts, I'm over the moon about this season. It's shaping up to be even better than last season... which was also great, IMO. Several times over the years, it could have easily gone the way of CART without the lil dictator. But at the same time, I'd hate to see Bernie be left unchecked. He's got more than enough power as is. On a personal level, I don't care for the little twerp at all. But looking at various series around the globe, F1 has its act together better than most of them.

So my conclusion is, Go FOTA!!!

wmcot
9th July 2010, 08:27
Let's see...Bernie demands sponsor logos removed from the pits...the same Bernie thinks Hitler is a great leader...hmm...

Dave B
9th July 2010, 09:52
14 posts in and I invoke Godwin's Law. That didn't take long, did it? :s

jens
9th July 2010, 20:58
Bernie's criticism could have been more valid if his arguments were simply better. One possible critical point about FOTA is that some of the decisions seem to drag on for too long, like the tyre choice.

MrMetro
10th July 2010, 15:13
Actually I do like it for what it is. Even with its warts, I'm over the moon about this season. It's shaping up to be even better than last season... which was also great, IMO. Several times over the years, it could have easily gone the way of CART without the lil dictator. But at the same time, I'd hate to see Bernie be left unchecked. He's got more than enough power as is. On a personal level, I don't care for the little twerp at all. But looking at various series around the globe, F1 has its act together better than most of them.

So my conclusion is, Go FOTA!!!

I must admit i feel the same. even though my post is highly critical about bernie, f1 has managed to stand tall above all other motorsports thanks to ecclestones input

Jag_Warrior
10th July 2010, 23:21
I must admit i feel the same. even though my post is highly critical about bernie, f1 has managed to stand tall above all other motorsports thanks to ecclestones input

You'd think he'd be lining up a successor (or the investors would force him to). It was one thing for Big Bill France to pass the torch to Bill, Jr. But hasn't Bernie left most of his assets to Petra and Tamara? Good grief! Is there even the slightest chance that we could end up with the Euro versions of Paris Hilton running F1?! :eek: :D

Seriously, do you know if anyone is being lined up to take over for the little man when he eventually goes to meet his maker?

Dr. Krogshöj
11th July 2010, 08:26

The irony is that some of those gimmicky rule came from FOTA who are proposing even more gimmicky rules for next year... Anyway, I'm enjoying F1 as ever. And what's wrong with the occasional off-track controversy? Every sport has them, they're juicy, the mainstream media talks about them. Plus, we haven't had any this year.

Koz
11th July 2010, 09:20
Another war of time wasting and annoyances for us fans??