PDA

View Full Version : Foyt I V Busted !!!!!

ChicagocrewIRL
6th March 2007, 10:13
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/SPORTS01/703060368/1052/SPORTS01

Incredible about people and alcohol and getting behind the wheel. Turns you into an instant criminal and rightfully so. AJ IV didn't learn any lessons from Al Jr. looks like. And that Cabo Wabo Tequila sponsorship on AJ IV's black Dallara Honda isn't looking too smart. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING A.J. ? You're burying a once proud racing name !!!!! All we need now are some flattering county jail mug shot images.

It's so sad because I was very excited for AJ IV when he got his ride with Vision. He did decent job subbing for Franchitti last year and I was hoping this could be a breakthrough year for a more mature driver. SO MUCH FOR BEING A MATURE DRIVER ! UGH !!!

Jonesi
6th March 2007, 12:24
From Dec 10th, I'm surprised it took this long to get reported.

libra65
6th March 2007, 19:13
From Dec 10th, I'm surprised it took this long to get reported.

I'm with you Jonesi. Little Al got reported ASAP and this took almost 3 months. Well he has been seen since so obviously Grandpa didn't lay him out flat.

Bob Riebe
6th March 2007, 21:46
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/SPORTS01/703060368/1052/SPORTS01

Incredible about people and alcohol and getting behind the wheel. Turns you into an instant criminal and rightfully so. AJ IV didn't learn any lessons from Al Jr. looks like. And that Cabo Wabo Tequila sponsorship on AJ IV's black Dallara Honda isn't looking too smart. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING A.J. ? You're burying a once proud racing name !!!!! All we need now are some flattering county jail mug shot images.

It's so sad because I was very excited for AJ IV when he got his ride with Vision. He did decent job subbing for Franchitti last year and I was hoping this could be a breakthrough year for a more mature driver. SO MUCH FOR BEING A MATURE DRIVER ! UGH !!!
Fortunately most of the world does not live the perfect self-righteous enclave of hypocrites and fools.

Until he is arrested for raping and murdering children, he is a normal human being acting like one.
Bob

Boilermaker
7th March 2007, 00:10
Fortunately most of the world does not live the perfect self-righteous enclave of hypocrites and fools.

Until he is arrested for raping and murdering children, he is a normal human being acting like one.
Bob

What kind of stupid crap is this? It is only by chance he didn't kill someone. I had a good friend killed by a drunk driver and I am sure many people on these boards could say the same. How many alcohol related fatalities are there in the US every year? In 2004 it was 16,694 (Source http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html) I can not believe that anyone would condone a DUI in the year 2007.

Alexamateo
7th March 2007, 02:36
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. One, he hasn't had his court date yet. Two, 3 or four beers puts you at .08, hardly drunk. He was only pulled over for not coming to a complete stop making a right on red, hardly reckless driving. They are probably going to look at circumstances and make it a lesser charge with probation. If he's smart it'll never happen again. While not a college kid, he's certainly college age, cut him some slack. I am sure glad people didn't crucify me for a single mistake.

call_me_andrew
7th March 2007, 05:01
And that Cabo Wabo Tequila sponsorship on AJ IV's black Dallara Honda isn't looking too smart.

Well let's look on the bright side. He seems to believe that his sponsor makes a good product that he himself uses.

Bob Riebe
7th March 2007, 06:26
What kind of stupid crap is this? It is only by chance he didn't kill someone. I had a good friend killed by a drunk driver and I am sure many people on these boards could say the same. How many alcohol related fatalities are there in the US every year? In 2004 it was 16,694 (Source http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html) I can not believe that anyone would condone a DUI in the year 2007.
Your friend was killed by chance, or possibly, as a police officer once told me, because he was not paying attention to the traffic around him.
I have had people run red lights on me; I am not a statistic because I WAS paying attention and made sure we did not crash.

I do not condone true drunk driving; a DUI is not the same as a DWI, nor does a DWI mean they are drunk.
THe same officer I went to college with told me he HAD to give tickets to a fair number of people whose blood level was too high. He said there were not drunk, and the only reason he gave them furhter tests was he smelled booze on their breath, they passed all physical tests of sobriety.

I neither condone, nor condemn, because talk is cheap and until I reach a level of perfection, I am no better than the least of my brethern.

Bob

ChicagocrewIRL
7th March 2007, 06:59
I posted this news as it relates to a budding potential IndyCar driver career and not as a judgement on anyone. A.J. Foyt IV's questionable judgement behind the wheel of an automobile is what is at issue here. So before anyone accuses of me of living in a glass house, and being without sin casting stones, let's stick with the issues here. DUI is a serious offense and anyone who denies that it is not is burying their head in the sand.

Alcohol sponsorship in autoracing is strange at best but when your alcohol sponsored car is driven by someone who has been arrested for DUI, it's just stupid from a marketing standpoint and from a moral standpoint.

Easy Drifter
7th March 2007, 21:25
I am probably older than most on this forum. I have driven drunk and certainly under the influence when younger. I have done neither for many years and was never caught. It was the norm up to about 30 years ago. It wasn't right but it was accepted.
Now it is not acceptable nor should it be. However it will still happen and depending on just how much AJ had it should be forgotten this time. Al Jr. has been caught more than once and has had accidents. That is different.
I can assure you drunk race drivers after a race and or parties was normal years ago. I know I was there and one of them. Stupid yes but normal.

ChicagocrewIRL
7th March 2007, 22:30
IndyStar.com Sports Auto Racing
March 7, 2007

Foyt keeps his ride

A.J. Foyt IV will keep his Indy-car ride with Vision Racing while a charge of driving under the influence is being settled, his employer said.

"Based on what I know at this time, his status as a driver of the team is not affected pending disposition of the matter," Vision co-owner Tony George said Tuesday in an e-mail to The Star.
Foyt, 22, was charged Dec. 10 in Mecklenburg County, N.C. His next court appearance is scheduled for April 9.
The Indy Racing League has a pair of IndyCar Series races before then: the season-opening event March 24 at Homestead-Miami Speedway and the St. Petersburg Grand Prix on April 1.
IRL officials excused Foyt from a series of publicity functions today in the Midwest. Monday, Foyt made appearances in Kansas City and Wichita, Kan.

Looks like Foyt will keep his ride for now.

gofastandwynn
8th March 2007, 00:45
[url]. And that Cabo Wabo Tequila sponsorship on AJ IV's black Dallara Honda isn't looking too smart.

Cabo Wabo is sponsor Foyt Racing, not AJIV.

And as far as Grandpa goes, read "Stand on It", which is based on alot of the antics of AJ off the track. This stuff is tame compared to back in the day.

Easy Drifter
8th March 2007, 01:40
Most of 'Stand on It' is based in fact. I could tell a lot more wild stories of what went on, but won't unless I write a book! Yes I was there.

O&A Virus
8th March 2007, 22:37
Cabo Wabo is sponsor Foyt Racing, not AJIV.

And as far as Grandpa goes, read "Stand on It", which is based on alot of the antics of AJ off the track. This stuff is tame compared to back in the day.

Especially when you consider there are racing series out there who proudly promote the fact that its series was grown from the drivers who regularly were trafficking alcohol back in the day.

Pieter Dams
9th March 2007, 12:59
exactly, come on, cut him some slack. we have all done some stupid things in the past. this is hardly worth taking note of.

Marbles
10th March 2007, 03:06
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more ridiculous, there is an outpouring of forgiveness for a Professional Race Car driver who gets nailed for DUI. A role model for our youth, no less. Cut him some slack? The general assumption here is that he had three beers and was technically (by law) impaired. Could he have been hammered and white walling his tires on the curbing and the fact that he was stopped possibly saved his or someone else's life? Of course not. Not in our wonderful universe. Fortunately, A.J. didn't kill anybody "who wasn't paying attention" (absurd, I know), which apparently, includes himself. Right Bob?

Forgive A.J. for being a kid who should have known better... forgive him for being a driver of questionable talent, silver spoon in the mouth moron... go right ahead. I live in the real world where getting nailed for impaired (if convicted) means you don't drive for a year and you hope and pray that no one ask you to explain why you took the plates off your car.

As for the good old days, those were the days when a doctor might recommend you smoke a few Camels to relieve your stress and your grade school kids would come home with an ash tray that they molded out of asbestos. Those were the days. But we're a lot wiser now, aren't we.

Alexamateo
10th March 2007, 03:50
Marbles, from everything I have heard and seen, this is much ado about nothing. He had couple of drinks and did not come to a complete stop at a red light. If you want to crucify him forever for this, go right ahead, but I'll tell you this, perfectionism is a hard thing to live with. You mention forgiveness, well life is about forgiveness. I prefer to forgive and say "there but for the grace of God go I". I forgive, because I hope to be forgiven myself. I hope you also are forgiven by the ones you love for whatever stupid things you might have done, because not one of us is perfect, no one.

Mark in Oshawa
10th March 2007, 16:30
I think what this points out to is AJ's lack of judgement. A few of you guys dismiss this, saying, he went over the line, no harm done.

Here is the truth. He drives race cars for a living. He is damn lucky to still drive race cars for a living based on his results so far. He has NO business even sniffing a drink and then going for a drive. It really is brain dead to be anywhere near booze and then climbing behind the wheel, not because he doesn't have the same rights as us, but because he is in a position to lose his JOB over something as simple as being pulled over and being questionable on his blood alcohol level. Good lord, I drive for a living in the sense I drive a big rig. I wont touch a beer 24 hours before I get behind the wheel of my rig, and I can tell you I don't drive anywhere once I have had more than one beer. It just is not worth taking the risk.

AJ may not have hurt no one, he may not even pay any real penalty, but the publicity does him nor his sponsor any good. Now he has to go race for a living where he has often shown little talent or judgement and have the black mark of being a drunk driver on his head? This guy just doesn't think on or off the track.

The same people making excuses for the guy now likely didn't make the same ones for Kurt Busch when he got busted down in Arizona.

We aint perfect, but at some point, you have to question how smart someone is, and when your ability to bring home a pay check is directly related to your driver's license, driving while under the influence just isn't an option.

30 years ago, no one cared, but the law is strict on this stuff, and for a young guy like AJ the Fourth to be this brain dead judgement wise just shows once again he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer now is he?

Alexamateo
11th March 2007, 02:22
Mark, your feelings are understandable. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe if you are tested and measure .04 or .06, you can lose your CDL. (forever? or for a certain period of time.) You may even have to watch what cold and cough medicines you take and have to skip communion (well maybe that's an exaggeration :p :) .

That said, a single incident is not indicative of a person's judgement or lack thereof. If it happen's again, then there may be a pattern. Look, if the people who are closer to the situation, (Tony George, the IRL) are reacting like it's no big deal, It's no big deal!

drewdawg727
11th March 2007, 19:35
Mark, i can't agree with you more. Well said.

F1fanru
16th March 2007, 20:19
If he is convicted of DUI and is suspended from driving could this enclude his IRL licence also? I would hope so.