PDA

View Full Version : WTCC Brands Hatch

MrMetro
6th July 2010, 17:09
Well after some good racing in Portugal, I've got high hopes for some close racing at Brands, which is, imo, well suited to touring car racing. Colin Turkington has a chance to show the wtcc regulars why he won the btcc, as long as freddy barth dosen't punt him off again...

RMLCruzeing82
7th July 2010, 22:38
Colin Turkington has a chance to show the wtcc regulars why he won the btcc, as long as freddy barth dosen't punt him off again...

ill personal shot barth if he does lol :p

MrMetro
8th July 2010, 21:08
Volvo making a guest apperance is good news

MrMetro
14th July 2010, 17:10
so, then, who do we think will win? last year it was menu and farfus. but this wtcc season is starting to get interesting...

MrMetro
17th July 2010, 14:39
Colin Turkington tops second practice: http://www.fiawtcc.com/Read_News.asp?idnews=618

I've got a good feeling this is going to be a great race

Allyc85
17th July 2010, 14:58
Go on Colin :D

UltimateDanGTR
17th July 2010, 16:58
Chevvy One-two-three on the grid, Muller, Huff then Menu. Turkington 4th! Tarquini and Priaulx are next up, and I cant help feeling Turks and Tarquini are gonna have to get good starts to split the chevrolets so we have an actual race for the lead, otherwise chevrolet will obviously tell their drivers to keep position. I have a feeling there will be a good second race however, and im sure they'll be battling right down the field in the first.

DazzlaF1
17th July 2010, 17:20
FINAL GRID

ROW 1: 1st Yvan Muller (Chevrolet), 2nd Rob Huff (Chevrolet)
ROW 2: 3rd Alain Menu (Chevrolet), 4th Colin Turkington (West Surrey BMW)
ROW 3: 5th Gabriele Tarquini (SR SEAT), 6th Andy Priaulx (BMW)
ROW 4: 7th Tom Coronel (SR SEAT), 8th Tiago Monteiro (SR SEAT)
ROW 5: 9th Norbert Michelisz (Zengo SEAT), 10th Augusto Farfus (BMW)
ROW 6: 11th Franz Engstler (Engstler BMW), 12th Robert Dahlgren (Polestar Volvo)
ROW 7: Jordi Gene (SR SEAT), 14th Fredy Barth (Sunred SEAT)
ROW 8: 15th Kristian Poulsen (Poulsen BMW), 16th Darryl O'Young (Bamboo Chevrolet)
ROW 9: 17th Caca Bueno (Chevrolet), 18th Tom Boardman (Special Tuning SEAT)
ROW 10: 19th Michael Nykjaer (Sunred SEAT), 20th Stefano D'Aste (Proteam BMW)
ROW 11: 21st Sergio Hernandez (Proteam BMW), 22nd Mehdi Bennani (Wiechers BMW)
ROW 12: 23rd Harry Vaulkhard (Bamboo Chevrolet)

FAILED TO QUALIFY: Tim Coronel (Engstler BMW)

MrMetro
17th July 2010, 17:53
nice work from colin, hopefully he can get in there and break up the chevys's.

UltimateDanGTR
17th July 2010, 21:52
so how come Tim Coronel failed to qualify?

I've missed something it seems.

Allyc85
18th July 2010, 12:57
Brilliant drive by Turkington to get P3! Even though Menu let him past he looked the quickest on track and could have done even better if the BMW had greater top speed!

AndyRAC
18th July 2010, 14:55
For a World series, there's some really amateur driving. Good performances from Colin, maybe should be permanently in the series.

Sarah
18th July 2010, 20:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/8829678.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rob Huff at Brands from Friday's Look East

UltimateDanGTR
18th July 2010, 21:48
What an enjoyable days racing. the WTCC provided two very good races, Turkington and Priaulx were both superb today. if this is WTCC in its supposed dire year, then the WTCC has a good future.

I was pleased to get Priaulx's, Turkington's and Farfus' autographs aswell at the BMW stand, that was a good feature, just shame I missed getting murray walkers buy an agonisingly close margin... (he was called to go somewhere else)

as for the support series, the lotus on track elise trophy featured great club racing, the F2s were Ok and certainly dramatic with Palmer and the lithuanian guy (whos name I can pronounce but not spell without looking at the program) dropping out then there were 2 40 minute maserati races, which for me were too long for the quality of racing offered...

and then there was the seat leon eurocup. a dramatic race featuring a large crash at paddock hill infront of me, but it was nothing compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKtUoxx7nok

It's an absolute miracle no trackside marshall or spectator was killed there, watching this on the big screan was incredibly horrifying. I could tell the spectators around me felt the same.

VkmSpouge
18th July 2010, 22:35
Two pretty good races, shame they can't all be like that. Colin Turkington was the star performer today, two good podium finishes, he and WSR are leagues ahead of the other WTCC independents at Brands Hatch. I believe he took the biggest ever haul of points by an independent in one weekend and after just two meetings he is in second place in the Independents Cup.
I was a little disappointed with Harry Vaulkhard, on home turf I would have thought he could finish better.
Andy Priaulx drove through the field well in race one and was quite calm in race two in taking yet another win.
Yvan Muller's win in race one was flawless lights to flag win.
Mehdi Bennani drove quite badly in race two taking off Franz Engstler and Darryl O'Young.

Eunos
19th July 2010, 00:05
and then there was the seat leon eurocup. a dramatic race featuring a large crash at paddock hill infront of me, but it was nothing compared to this:

It's an absolute miracle no trackside marshall or spectator was killed there, watching this on the big screan was incredibly horrifying. I could tell the spectators around me felt the same.

An Extremely Scary Momment, Was very Uncomfortable for ages, Especially when all the Ambulances were charging up there..

Huge Sigh off Relief to know nobody was hurt..

DazzlaF1
19th July 2010, 00:35

Holy moly, that was frightening to watch. I cant imagine what it was like if I was one of those marshals running for their very lives. horrifying.

Very concerning though I think was that there was no high catch fencing on that small section where the car flipped into the spectators area, maybe this incident could make these fences mandatory.

UltimateDanGTR
19th July 2010, 11:09
An Extremely Scary Momment, Was very Uncomfortable for ages, Especially when all the Ambulances were charging up there..

Huge Sigh off Relief to know nobody was hurt..

I felt exactly the same, and any appetite I had for food was put off for a good few hours.

on another note, does anyone know why the lotus elise race was red flagged?

MrJan
19th July 2010, 11:36
Holy moly, that was frightening to watch. I cant imagine what it was like if I was one of those marshals running for their very lives. horrifying.

Very concerning though I think was that there was no high catch fencing on that small section where the car flipped into the spectators area, maybe this incident could make these fences mandatory.

Motorsport is dangerous, fencing everything off just ruins the spectacle and still can't guarantee safety. I've been involved in near misses before (generally rallying) but I know that it's a risk I take by watching. I think that having fences is more likely to lure people into a false sense of security while simultaneously ruining the view for everyone. You simply can't legislate for an accident like that and say that everything should be fenced. Motorsport is already on it's arse with tracks and events having no money, the cost of full perimeter fencing would likely be another nail in the coffin of several events and I don't think that any of us want to see that.

AndySpeed
19th July 2010, 11:44
Some good racing from the WTCC - big congratulations to Colin Turkington showing the talent coming from the BTCC once again :up:

Great circuit, great weather. Not as good as the BTCC, however. Nice to see the WTCC using a proper podium though!

I remember commenting that I was surprised there was catch fencing on the inside of Sheene curve. Then this incident happens, which shows cars can go off heavy on the inside of a corner.

It was an unusual accident. There is perhaps now a case to justify catch fencing.

Allyc85
19th July 2010, 16:35
What happened to the driver of the car who tried overtaking on the grass and caused the accident. I hope he got a massive bollocking from the stewards!

For a World series, there's some really amateur driving. Good performances from Colin, maybe should be permanently in the series.

Theres no maybe about it mate, the boy is world class and should be there every race! :D

trebor901
19th July 2010, 18:50
What happened to the driver of the car who tried overtaking on the grass and caused the accident. I hope he got a massive bollocking from the stewards!

Ummm use your eyes, he was fully alongside into sheene so had the position yet the red car still turned in on him i put blame on the guy on the outside he gave absolutely no room and in a corner thats like that room should be given.

RMLCruzeing82
19th July 2010, 19:11

HOLY SSSHHHH!!!!!!! how the hell everyone get away from that

and

what the hell was the driver in the green and white car thinking?

Allyc85
19th July 2010, 19:13
Fair point actually *hides lol*

DazzlaF1
19th July 2010, 22:59
Motorsport is dangerous, fencing everything off just ruins the spectacle and still can't guarantee safety. I've been involved in near misses before (generally rallying) but I know that it's a risk I take by watching. I think that having fences is more likely to lure people into a false sense of security while simultaneously ruining the view for everyone. You simply can't legislate for an accident like that and say that everything should be fenced. Motorsport is already on it's arse with tracks and events having no money, the cost of full perimeter fencing would likely be another nail in the coffin of several events and I don't think that any of us want to see that.

I see your point but I was just wondering about what the governing bodies will be thinking of, making perimiter fencing mandatory wasn't my real opinion of what should happen, just like I said, an OTT reaction by the FIA.

My actual opinion is that it was just a freak accident finishing in an area where you dont really get accidents of that nature and velocity, for which the instagator (i think it was Bravo) deserves at least a race ban for.

Eurotech
22nd July 2010, 14:02
That was a very dangerous accident, but it will probably never happen again through that section because it was quite strange that they made contact on the straight after the corner. I think they both should have given eachother some more room because with driving like that they were asking for trouble.