PDA

View Full Version : Lewis and Jenson visit McLarens Crypt

Zico
5th July 2010, 00:44
McLaren fan or not, Im sure you'll agree that this is a good clip, both taking a trip down memory lane as they sit in Ayrtons old car..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/video-heroes-on-heroes-hamilton-button-visit-mclarens-crypt/#continued

Saint Devote
5th July 2010, 01:17
McLaren fan or not, Im sure you'll agree that this is a good clip, both taking a trip down memory lane as they sit in Ayrtons old car..

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/video-heroes-on-heroes-hamilton-button-visit-mclarens-crypt/#continued

Super Kewl :D :D
Thanks for posting it. I recommend everyone take a gander.

Saint Devote
5th July 2010, 13:19
Yeah saw this on Autosport last week, great clip. If the clip had have been longer they could have let Jenson sit in his hero's car too. Prost's MP4/4 must have only been feet away.

You can see from their faces how much it means to them to be touching such a great car. :)

Prost being the greater driver of the two and without the spoilt brat syndrome that affected the cheating Brazilian all his career.

I am evil Homer
5th July 2010, 15:16
Great video...kids in a candy store. The look on their faces is brilliant. And they're right about how wide those cars are - its only when you see those guys in them you think...damn those rear tyres look huge!!

Dave B
5th July 2010, 15:23
(Ignoring the troll)

That's a wonderful clip, and further evidence that McLaren's reputation for being grey and soul-less is ill deserved. Even more encouraging is the way there appears to be a genuine rapport between the two drivers.

Daniel
5th July 2010, 15:29
There should be a thumbs up button. You'd get one from me for sure Henners. Some blatant fishing going on here fo shure

Dave B
5th July 2010, 15:37
There should be a thumbs up button.
:up: http://www.alexanderf1.com/image/links/drivers/jenson_button_t.jpg

:p

Daniel
5th July 2010, 16:12
Plonker :p

UltimateDanGTR
5th July 2010, 20:24
what a magnificent collection of some of the greatest ultimate racing machines. Lewis and Jense looked like they were in a dream world, and these are Formula One World Champions, imagine how it would feel like for us normal mortals....

Dave B
5th July 2010, 20:34
What I love most about that video is the reflective silence as both drivers take a moment to remember Ayrton Senna. It's almost chilling, but in a good way - if that makes any sense.

Daniel
5th July 2010, 21:32
Am I the only one who thinks the video seems a bit contrived?

Daniel
5th July 2010, 21:39
It is to a degree yes, with an element of acting but there's true admiration I think when they enjoy touching the car. It captures the respect they have for a great driver too. :)
It just kind of spoils my enjoyment of the video. It doesn't seem like it's capturing them being natural and how they would actually react in that situation. But perhaps it's just me.

I'm not going to draw some flimsy conclusions about Lewis and Jenson's personalities from it, they're clearly in PR mode

THE_LIBERATOR
5th July 2010, 21:40
You won't get to sit in them but the Donington Grand Prix exhibition gives a thrill like that, rows of Senna & Prost McLarens, amongst other delights. The MP4-4 was never there whenever I went though, just a big space for it.

Triumph
5th July 2010, 23:24
Fascinating video. Quite a spooky atmosphere in there too.

truefan72
5th July 2010, 23:28
Indeed Dave, I'd certainly love to be left alone in that room for a day or two and I wouldn't even request food.. :p :)

They seem to get on well in every clip I've seen. Not quite the fall out people have been expect/hoping for since the partnership was announced. Great stuff.

yep, I would be like a kid in a candy store.

Makes you wish for a proper F1 museum that would have all the great cars there as well as some of the distinguished ones as well. Even the novelty cars or nicely designed cars would be included. Also at the museum would be a nice 4 theater cinema showing great races and an auditorium for events etc. Can you imagine that kind of museum. It would be a mecca for for all racing fans. I'd pay $100 easy for a day pass. ( btw $100 because in typical FIA/FOM style, everything is overpriced)

As to a certain poster trolling, I have my opinions about prost/senna but this is certainly not the thread to bring those issues up. It makes you look small and petty.

Saint Devote
6th July 2010, 00:52
Neither Jense or Lewis are phoney people. They are fans as well.

They enjoyed a unique experience. And Senna for Lewis was his absolute hero. He is also a driver that is extremely kind to his fans although rarely is this side of Lewis made public.

I would say the Tyrrell-Cosworth DFV 007 driven by Jody Scheckter that won the 1975 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami would do it for me :-]

e2mtt
6th July 2010, 03:48
wow. that was amazing stuff. 2 regular guys - really in awe of both the legend & the machines.

e2mtt
6th July 2010, 03:49
Am I the only one who thinks the video seems a bit contrived?

Of course... its really an advertisement for Vodaphone I think. The feelings are real though.

Daniel
6th July 2010, 07:50
Of course... its really an advertisement for Vodaphone I think. The feelings are real though.

As I said it'd be much more interesting to see this video if it weren't so staged and it was actually their genuine reaction to being down there.

Saint Devote
6th July 2010, 08:21
I am not at all surprised to observe that cynicism is rife here. Pity.

Daniel
6th July 2010, 08:46
Sorry for having a view :)

SGWilko
6th July 2010, 10:22
It doesn't seem like it's capturing them being natural and how they would actually react in that situation.

Scratches head and wonders how we would know if they are being natural or not, and if they are not, how do we know how they behave when they are being natural?

Daniel
6th July 2010, 10:33
Oh come on, you don't think for a second that the video you've just watched wasn't a carefully crafted and rather forced PR video.

wedge
6th July 2010, 14:12
Prost being the greater driver of the two and without the spoilt brat syndrome that affected the cheating Brazilian all his career.

And why did you feel the need to say that?
Looks very much like fishing to me. :mark:

Spoilt brat syndrome. SD doesn't like it when others question his wisdom or allegedly ruin his threads.

He is also a driver that is extremely kind to his fans although rarely is this side of Lewis made public.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/84879

Formula 1 is often about moments of brilliance, and even moments of good fortune, but there was one lucky fan who could not quite believe his good fortune on Saturday when it came to getting some pictures with the drivers.

The fan had been standing outside the press conference room after qualifying and managed to grab a talking Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton prior to their appointments with the television crews.

The fan approached Hamilton and asked if he could have his photo taken with him – but rather than have his mate take it, Vettel offered to do it instead.

Realising he had the chance of killing two birds with one stone, the fan then asked Vettel if he could stop so he could have his picture taken with him.

Hamilton looked over and said to the fan with a big smile on his face: "Man, I can't let you take it yourself – here, I'll do it..."

It just kind of spoils my enjoyment of the video. It doesn't seem like it's capturing them being natural and how they would actually react in that situation. But perhaps it's just me.

50/50

The camera phones made me queasy but the reflection on Senna and the conversation re: 4/4 round Monaco seemed natural.

yep, I would be like a kid in a candy store.

Exactly

The drivers are no different to fans. How many drivers don't get a kick going up Goodwood hillclimb in historic machinery?

I still get get a strange fizzing sensation near the groin when I've been to Silverstone Classic.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/84879

Jarno Trulli was there, though – and earlier in the day he spoke enthusiastically about the experience he had had of seeing some old Lotus machinery at the team's spectacular event at Snetterton in the week between the Canadian and European Grands Prix.

"It is great to be part of the heritage," said Trulli. "Lotus made history in the past and we would like to make history in the future. It is good to achieve 500 grands prix but we have responsibility and tasks ahead of us that we need to meet.

"I remember Colin Chapman throwing his cap in the air every time they won a grand prix. I remember Elio de Angelis, I remember Ayrton Senna. I remember many parts of this – even though I was a young kid."

But it is the talk about the old cars that brought a surprise response from Trulli.

"I've worked in many teams, but when I walked into the classic Lotus factory it was very special. There were old cars, and some cars that are being rebuilt. I was like a kid visiting Disneyland – even for me after 14 years of F1.

"But if I am honest I don't really enjoy driving these cars. I feel they like they are a piece of art and you should have respect and leave them where they are. They were supposed to race at that time, and now they are supposed to be like a piece of art – like a jewel. You have to look after them, watch them – and if I owned one I would never run it!"

Retro Formula 1
6th July 2010, 14:29
It does give you a little shiver seeing that clip. It's obvious the reactions from the boys is pretty genuine and I think that most people here would react the same way if we were in that Warehouse.

Of course, the cynics among us will claim that the drivers were acting in which case they are due to be big box office hits when they retire with that talent. :laugh:

SGWilko
6th July 2010, 14:57
Steering wheel looks complicated - Boost & radio buttons only!

Also, behind the wheel on the dash is evidence that McLaren were cheating even in '88....

...there is a rocket launcher button - used to blow anyone ahead off the track.

Did you see it? It was labelled 'fire' :rotflmao:

wedge
6th July 2010, 15:13
Steering wheel looks complicated - Boost & radio buttons only!

Also, behind the wheel on the dash is evidence that McLaren were cheating even in '88....

...there is a rocket launcher button - used to blow anyone ahead off the track.

Did you see it? It was labelled 'fire' :rotflmao:

fire extinguisher?

SGWilko
6th July 2010, 15:14
fire extinguisher?

You reckon? ;)

Not quite as risible though, is it?

Tazio
6th July 2010, 15:28
Am I the only one who thinks the video seems a bit contrived?Daniel you cynical boy. How can you say that when these two warriors, at their day jobs are locked in mortal combat. They need to have a little diversion and it’s in no short supply at their home race:

Jenson and Lewis agreed that they should have a wager on the outcome and asked Carl what he suggested. He said that the loser, “Should flush his head down the loo!” http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/button-and-hamilton-forced-into-bet-on-wholl-come-out-on-top/

These guys are playing for keeps :D

harsha
6th July 2010, 16:22
might be a PR excercise....but some of the sentiments expressed by But / Ham seemed pretty heart-felt...either that , or they could change their careers to acting

Tazio
6th July 2010, 16:34
might be a PR excercise....but some of the sentiments expressed by But / Ham seemed pretty heart-felt...either that , or they could change their careers to acting They have!
It's part of the job description.
On a more serious note, does anyone else think that McLarens team harmony, and success is largely due to "Ol' Clenched Cheeks" moving on? :p :

SGWilko
6th July 2010, 16:37
[/b] They have!
It's part of the job description.
On a more serious note, does anyone else think that McLarens team harmony, and success is largely due to "Ol' Clenched Cheeks" moving on? :p :

Most likely - he seems to have taken his woes with him to Ferrari.

Tazio
6th July 2010, 17:07
Most likely - he seems to have taken his woes with him to Ferrari.Yes I'm quite sure he is behind the scenes pulling the strings; :eek: A tremendous reunion with his "Main man" :laugh:

http://grandprixinsider.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/alonso-dennis-abad.jpg

:beer: ........................ :love:

Daniel
6th July 2010, 18:44
50/50

The camera phones made me queasy but the reflection on Senna and the conversation re: 4/4 round Monaco seemed natural.

That's kind of it for me. Some things seemed a little deliberate and perhaps that clouded some moments which were very genuine. If anyone thinks for one moment that these things are simply a fly on the wall observation of two F1 drivers looking over some historic cars then you're only deluding yourselves. There would have been multiple takes of these heartfelt moments and that has an effect on how things come across, hence why I would have just liked to have seen things as they came out a bit more naturally.

Of course, the cynics among us will claim that the drivers were acting in which case they are due to be big box office hits when they retire with that talent. :laugh:

Wow, if you think that's Oscar material you must think a Hannah Montanna film is an epic :laugh:

Zico
6th July 2010, 20:02
I dont think its staged, they certainly weren't given lines etc.. I think I know what you mean but put yourself in their shoes, you have a camera in your face and a responsibility as a role model being an F1 driver, theres no way you are going to be 100% natural, I doubt I'd be able to be if I was either of them.

I do believe they were both 100% genuine in remembering Ayrton, imagining being him at Monaco, remembering his exploits in awe and feeling truelly privelaged to be able to sit in his old car... an experience to treasure for the rest of your days.

christophulus
6th July 2010, 21:17
I love these McLaren videos. They're massive promotions for Vodafone and whoever else but they're really entertaining. They were clearly quite taken back by just what they were doing, sitting in Senna's car. However, the video of them building the car is probably the best so far.

Tazio
6th July 2010, 21:24
I dont think its staged, they certainly weren't given lines etc.. I think I know what you mean but put yourself in their shoes, I'd rather put their wallets in my pocket! :p :

you have a camera in your face and a responsibility as a role model being an F1 driver
I think you are confusing that with a contractual agreement! :dozey:

theres no way you are going to be 100% natural, I doubt I'd be able to be if I was either of them.

You probably have as much acting experience as them also! :s mokin:

Anubis
6th July 2010, 21:45
On a related note, lovely video from the Goodwood Festival of Speed - Bruno Senna driving Ayrton's MP4-8 and filming himself in the process.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjRAk8YXSHo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VjRAk8YXSHo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Daniel
6th July 2010, 21:51
I dont think its staged, they certainly weren't given lines etc.. I think I know what you mean but put yourself in their shoes, you have a camera in your face and a responsibility as a role model being an F1 driver, theres no way you are going to be 100% natural, I doubt I'd be able to be if I was either of them.

I do believe they were both 100% genuine in remembering Ayrton, imagining being him at Monaco, remembering his exploits in awe and feeling truelly privelaged to be able to sit in his old car... an experience to treasure for the rest of your days.

Wasn't staged? So they just decided that they'd go into the crypt together and film a vodafone commercial? If I was Nicole Whatserface I'd be slightly worried that Lewis chose to take Jenson in rather than me :mark:

Anubis
6th July 2010, 22:20
On a related note, lovely video from the Goodwood Festival of Speed - Bruno Senna driving Ayrton's MP4-8 and filming himself in the process.

*garbled YouTube mess*

Um, ok, I give up...how do I delete my own posts?!

Daniel
6th July 2010, 22:26
Spoilt brat syndrome. SD doesn't like it when others question his wisdom or allegedly ruin his threads.

Kinda reminds me of this song

XsYJyVEUaC4

Daniel
6th July 2010, 22:28
Um, ok, I give up...how do I delete my own posts?!
I've reported the post and asked the mods to edit it so it makes sense :)

Zico
6th July 2010, 23:24
Wasn't staged? So they just decided that they'd go into the crypt together and film a vodafone commercial? If I was Nicole Whatserface I'd be slightly worried that Lewis chose to take Jenson in rather than me :mark:

:D ok, I know what I meant, 'scripted' is the word I should have used.

Saint Devote
7th July 2010, 03:43

It is not the responsibility of either Jense or Lewis to be role models and neither of them acknowledge being so.

Role models are for weak or mawkish people that cannot think for themselves - people without self-esteem.

Regardless of circumstance they were enjoying themselves and it is clear that they have reverence for the Mclaren "crypt". Pity that those cars are hidden away rather than being put on permement display.

Daniel
7th July 2010, 07:53
mawkish

Do you mean Morkish? :laugh:

http://www.concoxions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/mork.jpg

Nanu nanu nanu! The thesaurus troll strikes again.

Dave B
7th July 2010, 10:11
I think it's important to differentiate between "staged" and "scripted".

Obviously it was staged, otherwise it's remarkably lucky that there just happened to be a couple of cameramen wandering round a normally locked room at the same time as the drivers; and it would only be natural if the presence of the crew affected them. You try acting naturally when you know you're being videoed.

But I genuinely believe that the dialogue was unforced and natural - two guys enjoying the chance to get close to such historical vehicles. Their moment of reflection about Ayrton was clearly genuine.

Anyway, let's not get carried away. It's a harmless PR stunt which allows us a little glimpse into their world. :up:

CaptainRaiden
7th July 2010, 11:27
Once again this forum has been topped up with yet another howler which blatantly hasn't been thought through before being written for our amusement. :rolleyes:

Dear henners, always remember the below message before wasting time to respond to utter drivel. ;)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/LynUridain/troll.jpg

ShiftingGears
7th July 2010, 11:34

Obviously it was staged, otherwise it's remarkably lucky that there just happened to be a couple of cameramen wandering round a normally locked room at the same time as the drivers; and it would only be natural if the presence of the crew affected them. You try acting naturally when you know you're being videoed.

But I genuinely believe that the dialogue was unforced and natural - two guys enjoying the chance to get close to such historical vehicles. Their moment of reflection about Ayrton was clearly genuine.

Anyway, let's not get carried away. It's a harmless PR stunt which allows us a little glimpse into their world. :up:

:up:

truefan72
7th July 2010, 23:06

:up:

Saint Devote
8th July 2010, 01:23
Being top sportsmen means they become role models whether they like it or not. They are at the top of their game and people look up to them with admiration and respect, and peoples perceptions of them come with the territory. For example when Lewis broke the law in Australia he made a public apology because he has fans and sponsors which expect better of him.

If they were't expected to be role models in some form, people wouldn't analyse their characters on internet forums, and write thousands of posts on why they are so great or why they are so bad.

Once again this forum has been topped up with yet another howler which blatantly hasn't been thought through before being written for our amusement. :rolleyes:

Respecting fans and being responsive to the people who pay him, the sponsors, is in his rational self-interest. It has nothing to do with the notion of "role model" and neither does discussing on this forum.

Heard of Kimi Raikonnen? He spoke minimally to the media and could care less about being any role model or whether people liked him or not or agreed with him or not. Kimi - a man with iron clad self-esteem.

Daniel
8th July 2010, 09:02
Nah, Saint Devote was never a Jenson Button fan, unless he takes the title this year in which case he'll have told you so and Jenson will be the bestest and we'll have the creepiness again. You are <insert word which is never used here> Henners and everyone will see this when SD's chosen driver wins the title this year. He's been a fan of <driver x> since he was in the womb. Jody Schekter agrees and dedicated some win in some place 30 something years ago to Mark Webber who he didn't even know about at the time.

pino
8th July 2010, 09:11
Guys...quit personal comment/insults right now, or you will be sent on vacation for a long time. And yes I am sick and tired to ask the same thing all the time ! :mad:

Big Ben
8th July 2010, 15:52
It is an interesting place that I would very much like to visit but their emotions and faces and stuff... they mean nothing to me... it's acting. And I'm not saying it bothers me or anything like that. For what we know maybe this is the 100th time they've been in there. I'm just saying that without them there I could see better the cars :P.

jens
9th July 2010, 20:39
(Ignoring the troll)

That's a wonderful clip, and further evidence that McLaren's reputation for being grey and soul-less is ill deserved. Even more encouraging is the way there appears to be a genuine rapport between the two drivers.

Although I don't think there are any ill-feelings in the McLaren camp, it is certainly not a valid argument to use a PR-clip as a proof of their 'well-being'. Maybe you can find a PR-clip, which doesn't show a team in a good light? I remember Alonso and Hamilton looking friendly in McLaren's 2007 video as well (like the one with Häkkinen in the sauna :p :) . As for 'natural talking', I think drivers in every team are capable of communicating to each other without a script. :p : And especially with cameras around in such fashion no-one is going to throw out anything negative. There wouldn't be any point in that.

Daniel
9th July 2010, 20:56
Although I don't think there are any ill-feelings in the McLaren camp, it is certainly not a valid argument to use a PR-clip as a proof of their 'well-being'. Maybe you can find a PR-clip, which doesn't show a team in a good light? I remember Alonso and Hamilton looking friendly in McLaren's 2007 video as well (like the one with Häkkinen in the sauna :p :) . As for 'natural talking', I think drivers in every team are capable of communicating to each other without a script. :p : And especially with cameras around in such fashion no-one is going to throw out anything negative. There wouldn't be any point in that.

I thought Lewis and Fernando were the best of friends? :p

DazzlaF1
9th July 2010, 21:32
I think thats the first time i've ever seen both Lewis and Jenson look starstruck

Daniel
10th July 2010, 13:51
If anyone saw the interview with Murray, Jenson and Lewis on the BBC before qualifying you'll know what I mean when I say that they weren't acting naturally in this video. When murray was interviewing them they were completely different and a lot more spontaneous, the complete opposite to how they were in the crypt.....

But whatever :p

wedge
10th July 2010, 14:31
If anyone saw the interview with Murray, Jenson and Lewis on the BBC before qualifying you'll know what I mean when I say that they weren't acting naturally in this video. When murray was interviewing them they were completely different and a lot more spontaneous, the complete opposite to how they were in the crypt.....

But whatever :p

PR film 'stunts' and interviews are two different things and their so-called relationship should be criticised and analysed in the 'racing environment' and not from a film promoting a certain mobile phone brand.

Daniel
10th July 2010, 14:59
I'm not criticising their relationship, I'm saying that the people who can't see that this is a stunt and nothing more are a bit deluded.

wedge
10th July 2010, 16:35
Harmless fun/PR campaign.