PDA

View Full Version : Mallorca circuit eyeing Formula 1 race

ShiftingGears
1st July 2010, 18:32
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84912

Looks like they've tried to squeeze the most tarmac into the smallest possible area.

Mark
1st July 2010, 18:50
Three races in Spain? Don't be daft. It'll never happen.

MrMetro
1st July 2010, 19:01
I thought it said it ws trying to get the second spanish race from valencia, but why should spain have two races? imo france should have a race

Saint Devote
2nd July 2010, 01:22
Waste of time. Spain is more likely to lose a race than gain a race with Russia and the United States, besides India and South Korea in the queue.

I dont think a calendar with more than 19 races is feasible given the stress and the work load of travelling, setting it up and then racing.

The likelihood of testing being allowed once again is becoming evident as the new regulations including a new tyre supplier are ahead.

Does F1 want to control costs? Then increasing the number of races is going to torpedo that.

truefan72
2nd July 2010, 01:24
first f all it looks like barcelona
second, it is in Spain and 3 races in one country seems a bit much

wmcot
2nd July 2010, 08:17
Does F1 want to control costs? Then increasing the number of races is going to torpedo that.

Do you think Bernie would actually rather control costs or increase earnings...Hmm...

pino
2nd July 2010, 08:34
No thanks, we don't need another race in Spain...

Mark
2nd July 2010, 08:54

Barcelona is a good track in a good area, it should remain at that.
Valencia has been disappointing from the start and I can see that disappearing, although I don't want it replaced with another Tilkedrome in the far east again.

As others have said, there should be a race in France! Bernie himself has said he'd love a race in Paris.

pino
2nd July 2010, 08:58
Barcellona is ok but I've never liked Valencia...and never will ! France deserves a race and I am sure Todt will soon fix that ;)

ShiftingGears
2nd July 2010, 09:13
Barcellona is ok but I've never liked Valencia...and never will ! France deserves a race and I am sure Todt will soon fix that ;)

Hope so. Although generally he hasn't done much of note yet.

AndyRAC
2nd July 2010, 09:40

Exactly, this isn't MotoGP...... ;)

Roamy
2nd July 2010, 17:13

Bring back Imola

Mark
2nd July 2010, 18:12
Amen.

Sleeper
2nd July 2010, 21:52
Three races in Spain? Don't be daft. It'll never happen.
Its thought that Valencia wont hold the GP past 2012, and Mallorca wants to take over.

fandango
2nd July 2010, 22:58
Looks like a dream. I don't see how it would work, because Spanish people wouldn't go for the expense of getting to an island over getting to a city on mainland Spain.

wedge
3rd July 2010, 14:48
They could try Aragon or Portimao for the European GP in future

UltimateDanGTR
3rd July 2010, 14:51
mallorca is a lovely place, but not a place for a grand prix, not when we rather annoyingly already have 2 GPs in spain. track looks a bit lame aswell.

move on, thank you.

christophulus
5th July 2010, 00:09
Looks suspiciously like Portimao - y'know, that facility that's got all the FIA accreditation and is used in pretty much every other European series. So why not just go there?

Saint Devote
5th July 2010, 00:35
Its thought that Valencia wont hold the GP past 2012, and Mallorca wants to take over.

The European GP is the political race of F1. By that I refer to its nomadic existence.

It arrived in Spain because of the Alonso ascendency which triggered interest.

The grand prix morphed out of the Swiss Grand Prix idea just over the border at Dijon-Prenois.

It has bounced around various countries and depending on interest and therefore the money made available will decide where it goes from Valencia "S".

Spain does not have a lock and if Vettel, Rosberg and Schumacher begin to dominate then Germany will be the place to hold the European event once more.

But really, given the list of countries wanting to sign contracts with Bernie and co, the existence of the European Grand Prix beyond Valencia and definitely a third grand prix in Spain, is not at all secure.

jens
5th July 2010, 18:26
Among Spanish races I'd personally prefer Valencia over Barcelona. Let Barcelona remain as an official testing circuit.

Ranger
6th July 2010, 11:43
Among Spanish races I'd personally prefer Valencia over Barcelona. Let Barcelona remain as an official testing circuit.

Or move off-season testing from Barcelona to somewhere else.

Barcelona as a Grand Prix creates lesser races mainly because every team knows it too damn well.

Retro Formula 1
6th July 2010, 14:17
I'm fully in favour of anything to get Valencia off the calender and Mallorca is an ideal venue geared up for Tourism and transopt in and out of the Island.