PDA

View Full Version : How much longer must we wait for HD?

Mysterious Rock
30th June 2010, 22:51
Its been announced that they are showing Nascar in 3D this weekend!!!
We dont even have HD yet, this is an absolute disgrace, we will still be waiting in 10 years for 3D http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/business/06/21/tnt.3d/index.html

Mark
1st July 2010, 11:10
We dont even have HD yet, this is an absolute disgrace, we will still be waiting in 10 years for 3D http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/business/06/21/tnt.3d/index.html

I don't think 3D is entirely necessary yet, lets see how the adoption of 3D gets on first!
HD of course is a different matter, a lot of people have HD sets now, Bernie just needs to stop trying to think of how he could make money out of it so we can get it onto BBC HD!

I have to say, most of the time I can't tell the difference between SD and HD transmissions. The exception has been the football World Cup, where HD coverage is noticeably superior to the SD version.

Dave B
1st July 2010, 11:57
I have to say, most of the time I can't tell the difference between SD and HD transmissions. The exception has been the football World Cup, where HD coverage is noticeably superior to the SD version.
Generally (and I use the word advisedly!), BBC SD is exceptionally good while BBC HD is sub-standard for an HD channel, hence little difference. ITV1 have also recently upped the resolutions of their SD channels, making the difference between them and their HD equivalents less noticable - unless you're comparing an England goal with a Hyundai advert...

For a real comparison, look at the difference between Eurosport SD (only slightly better than YouTube sometimes) and Eurosport HD (stunning, absolutely stunning, when it's got a native HD source).

To the OP, there's already a discussion here, maybe the threads could be merged?
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135790

:)

ArrowsFA1
1st July 2010, 12:08
As long as I can watch the races I don't care how long the wait is for HD let alone 3D.

It's all a con to make you buy a new tv anyway :p :s mokin:

BTW, when will the forum be in HD/3D?

Mark
1st July 2010, 12:23

The forum automatically scales to whatever resolution you choose :p

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2010, 20:07
I have HD TV sets and have not gone for the HD package with my provider. Why? I've seen HD on other people's sets and to me it's not that big a deal. I have a good digital signal and my picture looks good enough for my viewing. But 3D HD? Yes, I'm really looking forward to when they perfect that technology for general broadcasts! And F1 is probably the best sport (motorsport anyway) to feature that technology. The cars can brake and change direction SO quickly that 3D HD is going to be amazing.

Old Eyes
1st July 2010, 21:23

We barely get NASCAR in SD, here in the UK*! I'd be delighted if it was in just SD - anything else would be a bonus.

* channel 190 doesn't count!

ioan
1st July 2010, 22:30
Who the F cares about HD and 3D when the problem is that the racing is crap and the rules are getting worse every 2nd weekend?!
What use is there to watch paint dry in HD 3D?! :confused:

Old Eyes
1st July 2010, 22:58

Yes. You should see Magnolia drying out in HD. ;)

Mysterious Rock
1st July 2010, 23:43
We barely get NASCAR in SD, here in the UK*! I'd be delighted if it was in just SD - anything else would be a bonus.

* channel 190 doesn't count!

SD we get the highlights in HD on sky sports

CNR
2nd July 2010, 00:55
with HD each tv station has 1 hd channel
over here we get one HD 1080I witch is the sports channel
one new news channel coming soon at 720p
and the other HD channels are just upscaled from 576i SD

1st question to ask is are you in a place that can broadcast in HD
2nd question to ask is what is your HD 720p or 1080i

CNR
5th July 2010, 03:00
did anyone get to see motogp on HD
if the bikes can have onboard HD race cams i do not see why they would not work in f1

Jag_Warrior
5th July 2010, 04:38
Who the F cares about HD and 3D when the problem is that the racing is crap and the rules are getting worse every 2nd weekend?!

Dude, you have to take up my offer to swing by the house to watch the races on my set. Except for the first race in Bore-rain, all the others have been great! If you think the racing is crap, you must be watching on an old Sylvania, RCA or something like that. Come by and check the action out on the Samsung! It's the bee's knees, man! Great racing from start to finish all season... dodgy calls and all.

Daniel
5th July 2010, 08:26
When they made hard drives which can withstand the vibrations in the tunnel in Monaco.... oh wait they already make them :crazy: Ah yes, when Bernie says so :)

Somebody
5th July 2010, 14:36
Basically, whenever the broadcasters are willing to pay what Bernie thinks an HD feed is worth. No sooner.

markabilly
6th July 2010, 04:01
did anyone get to see motogp on HD
if the bikes can have onboard HD race cams i do not see why they would not work in f1

The picture quality of the motogp races is excellent now, compared to F1, and the racing was excellent (until Rossi was hurt) compared to F1, and motogp, along with WSBK, still is very dependant on rider skill and touch, unlike F1

When they made hard drives which can withstand the vibrations in the tunnel in Monaco.... oh wait they already make them :crazy: Ah yes, when Bernie says so :)

Duh..

Basically, whenever the broadcasters are willing to pay what Bernie thinks an HD feed is worth. No sooner.

Well, finally "somebody" gets it right....

Remember Bernie's special TV deal with all the frills he tried to sell, special cameras and all, and it crashed and burned??

well, it is another special deal like that, for mucho mucho dollars is what the little beggar snot burger wants, and if he does HD for free, he hurts the chances of those long lost dreams coming true of more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$

so if we have HD and a great picture, why buy into and pay extra into subscribing into another rehash of what bernie tried before.....

So no doubt, he is still hoping and he is thinking, why cut off my own balls with a free upgrade to HD...., make them pay for it-- :mad: -somehow----. :mad: ..

simples really, as simples be...

Dave B
17th November 2010, 17:55
It's looking more and more hopeful:

Formula 1 is close to giving the final green light for High Definition television coverage of the sport to begin from the first race of the 2011 season, AUTOSPORT has learned.

With the HD switch topping the wish-list of fans during recent surveys, there has been much interest in how soon Bernie Ecclestone will approve the move - with the F1 supremo making it clear several times that he wanted to be sure that before he approved it, there were enough viewers capable of watching it and that broadcast channels were ready to distribute it

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88363

:D

schmenke
17th November 2010, 19:28
The forum automatically scales to whatever resolution you choose :p

Does nothing for the quality though :p :

race aficionado
17th November 2010, 20:07
:p :s mokin:

:eek: please spare me some of our forum comments on HD and specially 3D!!!

They are tough in 1D as is . . . . :dozey:

:s mokin:

Mark
18th November 2010, 07:36
It's looking more and more hopeful:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88363

:D

Let's hope so. F1 coverage was the reason I bought a TV with built in freesat, and that was nearly 2 years ago now!

Bruce D
18th November 2010, 09:09
Our local TV station announced at the beginning of the Abu Dhabi race that next year they would be showing all the races in HD so I'm guessing Bernie has said yes in private and these guys let the cat out the bag.

Frankly I don't see what the issue is. Hasn't Indycar been in HD for 3 years now? Besides, I've also seen HD TVs and I don't think they are either worth the money or a significant improvement over SD.

555-04Q2
18th November 2010, 09:11
I'm still trying to work out what all the fuss is about HD for television. I cannot notice a significant difference when watching HD. HD is way overrated.

555-04Q2
18th November 2010, 09:13
Our local TV station announced at the beginning of the Abu Dhabi race that next year they would be showing all the races in HD so I'm guessing Bernie has said yes in private and these guys let the cat out the bag.

Frankly I don't see what the issue is. Hasn't Indycar been in HD for 3 years now? Besides, I've also seen HD TVs and I don't think they are either worth the money or a significant improvement over SD.

You are correct about the HD for F1 next year, Sasha mentioned that F1 in 2011 will be broadcast in HD.

Dave B
18th November 2010, 10:38
Besides, I've also seen HD TVs and I don't think they are either worth the money or a significant improvement over SD.

I'm still trying to work out what all the fuss is about HD for television. I cannot notice a significant difference when watching HD. HD is way overrated.

If it's done properly, HD is stunning. The trouble is a lot of stations either pump out upscaled SD and misdescribe it, or produce poor quality HD. Just because a picture happens to have more lines it doesn't automatically follow that it's top notch quality. You can buy an HD camcorder for £100, but a broadcast quality SD unit will knock it for six every time. Hell, I can even shoot 720p HD video on my mobile phone, but it would never be considered broadcast quality.

If you're ever in the UK, look at Sky News HD (don't listen to it, obviously, the rabid bias will melt your ears). They use the margins of the screen to display all manner of information pertinent to the story. HD allows them to shrink the font size and cram in a huge amount of detail - and the studio picture quality is staggeringly good.

Edit: have a look at this screenshot and now tell me you wouldn't want this for F1!
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sky-news-hd-thompson.jpg

Imagine this for F1: as well as improved PQ the timing graphics could carry a lot more information without cluttering up the screen, or you could have inserts with different camera angles or even the full FOM timing screens.

Mark
18th November 2010, 12:17
I'm going to have to get a bigger TV! I'm off around J4MIE's house to rob his off him ;)

Robinho
18th November 2010, 12:23
i tend to find the people who think HD "isn't all that" or is "no better than SD" have never seen proper HD on a decent screen, set up correctly and from the right distance.

There is no comparison to watching something like BBC's "Life" programme on an HD feed, or even better a blu-ray, than when watching on a SD feed. Flickiong between normal and HD channels showing the same football match or DTM or something the difference is massive, the detail is so much crisper, you can see individuals in the crowd.

but if you've seen on a poorly set up or crappy quality panel, or if your putting crap in, you'll get crap out. Some of the so called HD channels out there upscaling crap barely beat the well made SD stuff on other channels.

get proper HD on a decent channel on a decent telly (F1 through the BBC will be all this and more) and if you don't think it is a significant improvement i will personally pay for your eye tests

Dave B
18th November 2010, 12:44
i tend to find the people who think HD "isn't all that" or is "no better than SD" have never seen proper HD on a decent screen, set up correctly and from the right distance.

There is no comparison to watching something like BBC's "Life" programme on an HD feed, or even better a blu-ray, than when watching on a SD feed. Flickiong between normal and HD channels showing the same football match or DTM or something the difference is massive, the detail is so much crisper, you can see individuals in the crowd.

but if you've seen on a poorly set up or crappy quality panel, or if your putting crap in, you'll get crap out. Some of the so called HD channels out there upscaling crap barely beat the well made SD stuff on other channels.

Agree with all of the above :up:

proper HD on a decent channel on a decent telly (F1 through the BBC will be all this and more)
You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? But BBC HD is nowhere near where it should be for picture quality. They run at 1440 horizontal pixels (rather than 1920) and use some very weird compression algorithms supposedly to save bandwidth. I've seen flagshihp programmes such as Dr Who and Top Gear with some bizarre compression artifacts. It's got better again recently with variable bitrates, but neither of their channels is a patch on what Sky or Eurosport are capable of on a good day.

schmenke
18th November 2010, 15:01
Robinho, Dave B... :up:

There is a distinct difference b/w "True HD" and "upscaled" or "upconverted" HD. The latter is merely a SD image that has been converted to resemble HD by using a mathematical algorithm to extrapolate pixel images based on surrounding pixels. This can produce good results, but they are only as good as the algorithm used, some of which use fewer iterations to compile the extrapolation.
As an example, the North American audience can currently view the F1 races broadcast by Speed TV in "HD", however is merely an upscaled image from the BBC coverage. The result is only marginally better than SD.

Set up properly, True HD is stunning, as Dave said. I converted the schmenke house to HD about a year ago and now have a hard time viewing anything in SD :s

Robinho
18th November 2010, 19:07
Agree with all of the above :up:

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? But BBC HD is nowhere near where it should be for picture quality. They run at 1440 horizontal pixels (rather than 1920) and use some very weird compression algorithms supposedly to save bandwidth. I've seen flagshihp programmes such as Dr Who and Top Gear with some bizarre compression artifacts. It's got better again recently with variable bitrates, but neither of their channels is a patch on what Sky or Eurosport are capable of on a good day.

I know when the BBC HD channel first appeared the stuff they put on there was simply stunning, but more recently seemed to be downgraded. Not had the opportunity to see BBC1 HD yet since i'm in Sweden for another few months and am missing my HD. Have been very impressed bvy some of the stuff on Eurosport HD - Tennis is very impressive, and during the Winter Olympics the Ice Hockey was brilliant, i was actually able to follow the puck on TV for the first time!

I hope the BBC can do F1 justice in HD, as it will be filmed on fed to the BBC in HD i would hope they will optimise their output for what is coming in. should look excellent

CNR
18th November 2010, 21:46
http://i54.tinypic.com/142565c.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/28vrlhw.jpg

i_max2k2
18th November 2010, 23:29
^^ +1 for showing that difference, I hate watching movies in sd now, there is a big difference, atleast I feel so!