PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Silly Season Chart

MDS
25th June 2010, 21:28
It seemed like the time of year to start a 2011 Silly Season schedule so here's what I think we're looking at so far

Bold = Confirmed, although exact date may change in some cases
Underline = All but confirmed, expect announcement soon
Italics = According to different rumors.

Nothing means they don't have a contract to my knowledge, but there's no reason to believe they're gone.

March 13 Streets of Sao Paulo
March 27 Streets of St. Petersburg
April 10 Barber Motorsport Park
April 17 Streets of Long Beach
April 24/May 1 Kansas?/Nashville?
May 29 Indy 500
June 5 The Milwaukee Mile
June 4/14 Texas Motor Speedway
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio?/Watkins Glen?/Cleveland?
July 17 Streets of Toronto
July 24 Edmonton City Center Airport
July 31 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Aug 7 Streets of Baltimore
Aug 14 Twin Ring Motegi
Aug. 21 Chicagoland Speedway?
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 4 Kentucky Motor Speedway

Likely Gone
Kansas
Watkins Glen
Homestead

Potentially in trouble
Mid-Ohio
Chicagoland

Could end up on Schedule
Cleveland
Houston
Road America
Nashville
Walt Disney World
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Gateway International Raceway
Belle Isle

Lousada
25th June 2010, 23:13
Brazilian media claimed that Sao Paolo would be 1 May. This is because Carnival is in March next year which would make the time too short for 13 March.

Walt Disney World will never be back on the schedule, I don't know why you included that?

MDS
26th June 2010, 03:49
I don't know about Sao Paulo's date. They're on the schedule in the spring, and that's about all I know for, its the second year of a three year contract and there's some talk of changing the course layout, but its just talk I guess.

As far as Walt Disney World. It's a warm weather oval, and the league had reached out to them. How in depth the conversation, how serious the talks, I don't know, but I have it from a good source that the IRL made a call. It would take some significant upgrades to the track, but Disney hasn't ever paved over the track and the Indy Racing Experience is based there, some of the parking problems have been eliminated because of changes to the park since then. It's doable, and something both sides would like to do in an ideal world. I don't think its something that would be on the schedule in 2011, but maybe 2012?

I've been a proponent of staging a preseason All-Star race at WDW in January the week between the conference championship game and the Super Bowl for race winners, past champions and pole winners. Maybe that's what they're looking at doing? It could be a good showcase for the league, a way to cross-promote with St. Pete and help get deals rolling for the upcoming season.

MDS
29th June 2010, 17:05
Mike Mulhern, a NASCAR blogger who got some time with Randy Bernard this weekend at New Hampshire, added some interesting information to the mix.

Apparently Randy expects 24 venues to request Indycar dates next year, including a certain super-speedway in California.

California's Auto Club Speedway, Bernard says, wants to have an Indy-car race next season: "They would love to have us on tour. That's a big point with ISC....
"What I want to do is bring as many tracks and promoters to the table as possible, and then go through them one by one and see which ones make the most sense to us."
http://mikemulhern.net/index.php?q=breakingnow/nascar-sprint-cup-and-indy-cars-double-header-race-weekends-irls-randy-bernard-loves-ide

Lousada
29th June 2010, 18:14
Same with Daytona:

"Joie Chitwood, [...], he is managing our IndyCar relationships for all 12 (ISC) racetracks. We being the 'World Center of Racing' can't call ourselves that we're not the 'World Center of Racing' and listen to any opportunity with IndyCar. We've raised our catch fence. That was one of the concerns. We'll have new pavement. Of course, it would be the road course opportunity. We'll listen if they want to call us."

However it seems more likely that Chicago will be the only ISC track.

00steven
30th June 2010, 21:31
I would like to see California or Michigan have a race but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MDS
2nd July 2010, 01:38
Talked with one of my friends whose son crews on one of the junior formula teams. He was at New Jersey Motorsport Park this weekend and said there was at least one ICS official at the track in plain clothes. Scuttlebut around the paddock was that NJMP could be the 4th of July replacement for Watkins Glen.

MDS
11th July 2010, 18:09
Cleveland is out for 2011 and is working toward 2012, which is the last year Mi-Jack has promotional rights to.

"I think, realistically, 2011 is out, 2012 is probably our last shot," said Don DiGeronimo, of Grand Prix Charities, which has been a part of the race since 1981. "The city, the mayor, is totally committed. There are no issues there," said DiGeronimo, who is also president of Independence Communications. "But we probably got one more chance to get it back. The thing has been gone for so many years it's going to be hard to get momentum again. Once it comes back, it has to be back for a few years. It can't be a one-year deal."

http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/index.ssf/2010/07/is_time_running_out_on_revivin.html

DBell
12th July 2010, 14:49
In F1, the talk is that Lotus is going to switch to Renault engines next year, despite having a contract with Cosworth.

http://planetf1.com/news/18227/6256693/-Lotus-closing-in-on-Renault-engine-deal-

The question is for IC, how will this affect the "Lotus" team run by KV? This came about because of the relationship between Lotus and Cosworth. If the relationship ends, will there be a Lotus liveried car for next year?

Chris R
12th July 2010, 17:07
Talked with one of my friends whose son crews on one of the junior formula teams. He was at New Jersey Motorsport Park this weekend and said there was at least one ICS official at the track in plain clothes. Scuttlebut around the paddock was that NJMP could be the 4th of July replacement for Watkins Glen.

Since it is only a few miles from me - that would rock... However, I do not think the track is wide enough for good passing and may not have sufficient run off barriers etc. for big, fast open wheelers..... That being said - the Atlantics were a thrill to watch the past two years so the Indy cars ought to be awesome.....

SarahFan
12th July 2010, 17:21
is this thread for races only or can we start talking about drivers also?

will Danica be back in an Indycar?...would 'doin the double' garner her more press than the entire rest of the IICS season?

and what about Levi Jones? will he be in the 500 next year?

MDS
15th July 2010, 01:25
From what I'm hearing is that one big question mark that has kept the Indy schedule on the dry-erase board is the 2011 NASCAR schedule. From what I heard California is pursuing Indycar because they are possibly losing an NASCAR date, and see an Indy race as a way to offset their losses. In some ways this economy could be a solid thing for Indycar because these big expensive speedways are going to lose portions of their profit, forcing them into aggressively promoting ICS races because they don't/won't have those fat NASCAR weekend paychecks to pull down twice a year.

SPEED's Bob Dillner reported on the July 11th SPEED Report that rumors have Auto Club Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway with second race dates going to Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway and Kentucky Speedway getting a Sprint Cup race. No word how this will shake up the Sprint Cup schedule, can be figured out a few different ways. Look for Atlanta Motor Speedway to keep it's Labor Day weekend date and doubtful Las Vegas would get a summer date with the heat thereFrom what I hear California is looking at using the ICS as a replacement should they lose their fall date, because apparently that one is more valuable/vulnerable. Ending the season at Auto Club Speedway would be a marquee way to cap the championship.

:::: In my opinion its a bit early to talk about drivers as most of those deals don't get done until Jan/Feb.

MDS
20th July 2010, 17:18
Houston is out for 2011, but still looking at 2012. So theoretically Mi-Jack promotions could have four dates on the schedule in 2012 with Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston and Edmonton.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/auto_racing/100715-indy-car-racing-houston

MDS
22nd July 2010, 00:01
Just a couple of notes so I'm putting up a new schedule....

Edmonton has a new promoter, its Montreal Octane the folks who promote Circuit Villeneuve, they'll be on the schedule in 2011 and beyond and if anyone can make that event Octane can.

Randy said that Indy will probably be the first oval race on the schedule, so that means Kansas is gone, and California won't be an early oval, so if California keeps its date in the Chase I don't expect Autoclub Speedway to be on the schedule this year, but if it keeps the spring date then the possibility exists that we could see a Motegi-California-Las Vegas final set of races, of course at this point in order to add California and Vegas and stay at 18 events one other venue would have to leave the schedule, and there's some speculation about Mid-Ohio and Homestead.

Mid-Ohio is at the end of its contract, there are a few issues complicating it, but it sounds like the event will be back next year, although probably not on the same date. One of the big things effecting it is whether Cleveland will be on the schedule in 2012. Mid-Ohio was sitting on the date that Michigan wanted three years ago, so in some unlikely scenario Mid-Ohio could leave the schedule in order for Michigan to come on with a 400 miler, but I don't know.

Also hearing John Menard might team with IMS to promote a race at Milwaukee, but it would either be a co-promote or self-promote situation for the league, but potentially with Menards as the title sponsor.

So here's the 18 race schedule I'm looking at; the only questions I have is who gets the 4th of July, and if Nashville, California and Las Vegas make the schedule. No matter what I can't see them ending the season at Motegi, and since Homestead is all but officially dead I have to believe that California or Vegas is in line for the season finale.

May 1 Streets of Sao Paulo
May 29 Indy 500
June 5 The Milwaukee Mile?
June 4/11 Texas Motor Speedway
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio?/New Jersey Motorsport Park?/Nashville?
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 18 Twin Ring Motegi
Sept. 25 Las Vegas Motorspeedway?/Auto Club Speedway?

Kansas
Watkins Glen

Confirmed new
New Hampshire
Streets of Baltimore

May not return
Homestead

Could end up on schedule
New Jersey Motorsport Park
Autoclub Speedway
Las Vegas
Nashville

NickFalzone
22nd July 2010, 02:40
Just a couple of notes so I'm putting up a new schedule....

Edmonton has a new promoter, its Montreal Octane the folks who promote Circuit Villeneuve, they'll be on the schedule in 2011 and beyond and if anyone can make that event Octane can.

Randy said that Indy will probably be the first oval race on the schedule, so that means Kansas is gone, and California won't be an early oval, so if California keeps its date in the Chase I don't expect Autoclub Speedway to be on the schedule this year, but if it keeps the spring date then the possibility exists that we could see a Motegi-California-Las Vegas final set of races, of course at this point in order to add California and Vegas and stay at 18 events one other venue would have to leave the schedule, and there's some speculation about Mid-Ohio and Homestead.

Mid-Ohio is at the end of its contract, there are a few issues complicating it, but it sounds like the event will be back next year, although probably not on the same date. One of the big things effecting it is whether Cleveland will be on the schedule in 2012. Mid-Ohio was sitting on the date that Michigan wanted three years ago, so in some unlikely scenario Mid-Ohio could leave the schedule in order for Michigan to come on with a 400 miler, but I don't know.

Also hearing John Menard might team with IMS to promote a race at Milwaukee, but it would either be a co-promote or self-promote situation for the league, but potentially with Menards as the title sponsor.

So here's the 18 race schedule I'm looking at; the only questions I have is who gets the 4th of July, and if Nashville, California and Las Vegas make the schedule. No matter what I can't see them ending the season at Motegi, and since Homestead is all but officially dead I have to believe that California or Vegas is in line for the season finale.

May 29 Indy 500
June 4/11 Texas Motor Speedway
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio?/New Jersey Motorsport Park?/Nashville?
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 25 Las Vegas Motorspeedway?/Auto Club Speedway?

Kansas
Watkins Glen

Confirmed new
New Hampshire
Streets of Baltimore

May not return
Homestead

Could end up on schedule
New Jersey Motorsport Park
Autoclub Speedway
Las Vegas
Nashville

disappointed about The Glen, but it would be really great to see the IRL at NJ Motorsports park, it's a brand new facility and a lot of race fans in the surrounding area.

NickFalzone
22nd July 2010, 03:19
Be prepared to get hosed by the locals. I was at an SCCA event there a few weeks ago and motel prices were reasonable. The owner said that the next weekend, a GrandAm, the prices would be more than double.

I live less than 2 hrs away. If they pull the no-water bottle/food type policies I'll be pissed, but otherwise the locale would be inexpensive and super convenient. ;)

MDS
7th August 2010, 14:56
Two updates.

Auto Club Speedway's interest is apparently authentic and could end up as one of the last races of the season. I've read numerous sources that state California will lose its date in "The Chase" and its spring date will move from Feb to May. Since they're losing a huge chunk of revenue they're looking at the ICS to offset some of the losses. Since it seems certain that California is unlikely to get a second Cup date ever again ISC and track officials are willing to put more effort into promoting the ICS race. Also Randy has been looking at venues to hold a championship banquet in SoCal.

Mid-Ohio expects to be on the schedule next year, but could well be a different date. Although it hasn't been reported the league is apparently looking at a one-year contract with Mid-Ohio for next year with the possibility of giving that date to Cleveland in 2012

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100807/SPORTS/8070322

GRW1983
7th August 2010, 16:17
Two updates.

Auto Club Speedway's interest is apparently authentic and could end up as one of the last races of the season. I've read numerous sources that state California will lose its date in "The Chase" and its spring date will move from Feb to May. Since they're losing a huge chunk of revenue they're looking at the ICS to offset some of the losses. Since it seems certain that California is unlikely to get a second Cup date ever again ISC and track officials are willing to put more effort into promoting the ICS race. Also Randy has been looking at venues to hold a championship banquet in SoCal.

Mid-Ohio expects to be on the schedule next year, but could well be a different date. Although it hasn't been reported the league is apparently looking at a one-year contract with Mid-Ohio for next year with the possibility of giving that date to Cleveland in 2012

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100807/SPORTS/8070322

I believe Mid-Ohio has an existing contract that expires after 2011. A switch to Cleveland in 2012 and beyond would be good as it keeps a race in the Ohio area.

MDS
11th August 2010, 21:10
16th and Georgetown is reporting that there is going to be an announcement next Tuesday with Eddie Gossage, Randy Bernard and... Brian France along with Helio and Tony Stewart. Sounds like a possible double header.

Traditionally Texas is the second weekend in April, which was Barber's weekend this year, but there's nothing saying Barber couldn't move to end of April after Long Beach.

http://www.16thandgeorgetown.com/2010/08/texas-announcement-coming-tuesday.html

Scotty G.
11th August 2010, 22:55
16th and Georgetown is reporting that there is going to be an announcement next Tuesday with Eddie Gossage, Randy Bernard and... Brian France along with Helio and Tony Stewart. Sounds like a possible double header.

Traditionally Texas is the second weekend in April, which was Barber's weekend this year, but there's nothing saying Barber couldn't move to end of April after Long Beach.

http://www.16thandgeorgetown.com/2010/08/texas-announcement-coming-tuesday.html

Indy Car and Bernard are going to do a NASCAR doubleheader with somebody. Would have to be a SMI track. So, Texas, KY and Loudon are the possibilities (with Las Vegas only going to be the season ender for Indy Car, if it ever happens).

So, what this could mean, is that Texas moves to the 2nd weekend in April as a "NASCAR/Indy Car doubleheader". Barber moves back to late March. Brazil ends up in the Kansas date, as the lead-in to Indy.

Who gets Texas's old spot? Milwaukee. They slide back into their old date, with Kentucky the week after.

How would the NASCAR doubleheader work at Texas? Remember, they also plan on doing a "Twin 200's" type of format at Texas for Indy Cars next year. Here is a possible schedule:

Thursday- Indy Car practice and quals

Friday- NASCAR Nationwide Practice/Quals and NASCAR practice and quals
Indy Car Race #1 at 9:00 EST on Friday night

Saturday- Nationwide Race at 2:00 EST. Final Cup practice at 6:00 EST.
Indy Car Race #2 at 9:00 EST (some kind of inverted lineup)

Sunday- Sprint Cup Race at 2:00 EST.

SUBARUTEAM
11th August 2010, 23:08
perhaps a 2nd race at texas?

Scotty G.
11th August 2010, 23:33
perhaps a 2nd race at texas?

Technically, yes.

There will be 2 Indy Car races at Texas next year. They just will be on the same weekend at Texas, likely in mid April. A couple of twin 200's, like they used to have at Michigan.

The question is will they be on the same day. Or will one be on Friday night and one on Saturday night?

Those questions will be answered next Tuesday.

The other thing this theoretically could do, is give a Kasey Kahne or a Sam Hornish Jr or a Jimmie Johnson a chance to get a Indy Car race under their belt before Indianapolis. And give a Danica Patrick or a Graham Rahal or a Tony Kanaan a race under their belt in a stock car before Charlotte (on a 1.5 mile track that is similar to Charlotte).

This is definitly part of the thought-process here, if it comes to fruition. These drivers (if they are serious about it) need seat-time. And what better place to get that seat time (and a TON of press for each series) then at ICONIC member Eddie Gossage's home track. It all adds up, folks.

This is probably the one deal, that would persuade Gossage to give up his traditional early June Indy Car date. By doing this, it also might bring Milwaukee back into the fold (with Bernard and John Menard promoting it) in their traditional after Indy date.

SUBARUTEAM
12th August 2010, 03:40
Scotty - what you are saying seams to make a lot of sense.
Question:
is texas a sell out for the nascar race?
if so, what is the advantage for the track to pay an additional sanction fee to indy car for no additional benefit?

MDS
19th August 2010, 04:30
So the NASCAR Schedule is out and the ICS schedule is due out by the end of the month so I thought I’d put together another update

Phoenix is not interested in hosting an ICS race in 2011 or the future, per radio interview with Randy

Las Vegas didn’t get a Cup date could still end up on the schedule. They’re still talking with the ICS about the finale, but Auto Club Speedway apparently is willing to put more resources and commit long term to a finale. I’m still hopeful we could see a Las Vegas-California final two races.

I expect well see some answers in short order, Texas moving to June 11th makes me think that Milwaukee may be back, but it may be TBA when they announce their schedule.

May 29 Indy 500
June 11 Twin 275s Texas Motor Speedway
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio
Aug 7 Chicagoland Speedway
Aug 14 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Aug. 21 Kentucky Motor Speedway
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 4 Streets of Baltimore
Sept. 25 Auto Club Speedway
Oct. 16 Las Vegas Motor Speedway?

So I think the question at this point is whether Milwaukee or Vegas makes the schedule, and if Vegas does it will probably be Oct 16 with the trucks running on Saturday. Or maybe Las Vegas runs after Motegi and California's the finale followed by the awards banquet.

DBell
19th August 2010, 14:06
So the NASCAR Schedule is out and the ICS schedule is due out by the end of the month so I thought I’d put together another update

Phoenix is not interested in hosting an ICS race in 2011 or the future, per radio interview with Randy

Las Vegas didn’t get a Cup date could still end up on the schedule. They’re still talking with the ICS about the finale, but Auto Club Speedway apparently is willing to put more resources and commit long term to a finale. I’m still hopeful we could see a Las Vegas-California final two races.

I expect well see some answers in short order, Texas moving to June 11th makes me think that Milwaukee may be back, but it may be TBA when they announce their schedule.

May 29 Indy 500
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway

So I think the question at this point is whether Milwaukee or Vegas makes the schedule, and if Vegas does it will probably be Oct 16 with the trucks running on Saturday. Or maybe Las Vegas runs after Motegi and California's the finale followed by the awards banquet.

So we're only looking at 3 permanent road courses? And all of them bad for passing. Man, that sucks. They lose the only one they have that is decent for passing in the Glen. If the attendance at the Glen is so bad they are leaving, then why does Infineon keep making the schedule? No one shows up and the racing there is lousy for IndyCars.

After thinking about it for a minute, I think I can answer my own question. WG is an ISC track and Infineon is a Burton track, right? It's decisions like this based on politics that does the sport as much harm as anything else does.

Dr. Krogshöj
19th August 2010, 14:38

May 29 Indy 500
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway

If Vegas is in, it has to be with the Trucks. Having a race at LVMS two or three weeks before the Trucks would make no sense attendance-wise.

I also think Milwaukee has no chance to make the 2011 schedule. The race is a no-go unless the state government commits public funding, and we haven't heard anything about it, so I assume it is too late already.

It would be nice though to have both Fontana and Vegas in, because the schedule would be 50 percent ovals and 50 percent road/street.

The problem with your schedule is that there are five race weekends in a row from August 7 to September 4. I don't think it's feasible. One of the races should be moved to after Motegi. Climate-wise, Sonoma would be a logical choice for a fall date, I guess.

I'd also switch the dates of Chicagoland and Mid-Ohio on your schedule. A July 4th weekend could boost attendance at Chicagoland, whereas the current date works perfectly for Mid-Ohio, so don't fix what ain't broke.

Dr. Krogshöj
19th August 2010, 14:41
So we're only looking at 3 permanent road courses? And all of them bad for passing. Man, that sucks. They lose the only one they have that is decent for passing in the Glen. If the attendance at the Glen is so bad they are leaving, then why does Infineon keep making the schedule? No one shows up and the racing there is lousy for IndyCars.

After thinking about it for a minute, I think I can answer my own question. WG is an ISC track and Infineon is a Burton track, right? It's decisions like this based on politics that does the sport as much harm as anything else does.

I hear you. I just wish the Sao Paulo organizers switched to the Interlagos course instead of the street course. It is alright for a street course but Interlagos is one of the best road courses in the world. It's got history, atmosphere, elevation changes, fast corners, good passing opportunites. Hiring a permanent facility would also be quite cheaper for the promoter than building up a street course on a yearly basis, I imagine. I guess it has something to do with Bernie or the track's F1 contract. It's decisions like this based on politics that does the sport as much harm as anything else does.

MDS
19th August 2010, 14:52
A lot of dates were in flux so a couple of them might be off by a few weeks, Like California may be on the Oct. 2 weekend, but if that's the final race of the season you go almost a full month between Baltimore U.S. dates.

Honestly there are some dates that are wrong, but I think that's pretty close to what we're going to see

SUBARUTEAM
19th August 2010, 22:05
it can't be easy putting a schedule together, and they wont please everybody - that is for sure

GRW1983
20th August 2010, 10:27
According to Curt Cavin, Chicagoland, Kansas, Homestead & Watkins Glen will not be on the 2011 schedule. They will be replaced by Baltimore, Las Vegas, New Hampshire & 1 other event (my guess is Fontana). He reckons on a maximum of 17 events and no more than 17 (although with the 'twin' races at Texas, it will be 18 races). I think Milwaukee is also unlikely for next year. So, it seems the schedule will be something like this:

Ovals - Indy, Texas(2 races), Iowa, New Hampshire, Kentucky, Motegi, Las Vegas, Fontana(possible)

Road/Street - St.Pete, Barber, Long Beach, Brazil, Mid-Ohio, Toronto, Edmonton, Baltimore, Sonoma.

So, a total of 17 race meetings with 18 races in all, (9 ovals, 9 roads/streets). I think this is what we'll end up with.

RacinRandy
20th August 2010, 18:56
If Vegas is in, it has to be with the Trucks. Having a race at LVMS two or three weeks before the Trucks would make no sense attendance-wise.

I also think Milwaukee has no chance to make the 2011 schedule. The race is a no-go unless the state government commits public funding, and we haven't heard anything about it, so I assume it is too late already.

It would be nice though to have both Fontana and Vegas in, because the schedule would be 50 percent ovals and 50 percent road/street.

The problem with your schedule is that there are five race weekends in a row from August 7 to September 4. I don't think it's feasible. One of the races should be moved to after Motegi. Climate-wise, Sonoma would be a logical choice for a fall date, I guess.

I'd also switch the dates of Chicagoland and Mid-Ohio on your schedule. A July 4th weekend could boost attendance at Chicagoland, whereas the current date works perfectly for Mid-Ohio, so don't fix what ain't broke.

I'd say the July 3rd date for Mid-Ohio makes sense. Since the IRL and ALMS will probably be on the same weekend and the ALMS race at Miller, will probably go away, that will leave a nice whole in July's schedule for the IRL/ALMS combo.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st August 2010, 05:12
According to Curt Cavin, Chicagoland, Kansas, Homestead & Watkins Glen will not be on the 2011 schedule.

Bummer. Unlike Kansas or Homestead, Chicagoland always had great racing and big crowds.

DavePI2
22nd August 2010, 16:54
well the alms schedule is out and if midohio indycar race does move to 7 /3 at least at this time they won't run together. MidOhio is still on alms schedule for first week in august. However the the first weekend in july that has been speculated as the new date for midohio indy car race is left as a open date on the schedule. Maybe the august date can be switched for alms.

david

RacinRandy
23rd August 2010, 15:23
well the alms schedule is out and if midohio indycar race does move to 7 /3 at least at this time they won't run together. MidOhio is still on alms schedule for first week in august. However the the first weekend in july that has been speculated as the new date for midohio indy car race is left as a open date on the schedule. Maybe the august date can be switched for alms.

david

Since the ALMS schedule is out, I'm changing my thinking. I'll bet the Mid-Ohio IRL race will be on August 7 and not in July. I also expect the ALMS to be joining the IRL, in Baltimore, on September 3rd.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th August 2010, 10:22
If there will be no ISC tracks on the schedule, there will be only 7 oval in 2011and 9 road/street courses. I wonder how Randy will be able to get that desired 50-50 percent balance without ISC. At the moment, the outlook is bleak for both Chicagoland and Fontana.

Spiderman
25th August 2010, 11:31
If there will be no ISC tracks on the schedule, there will be only 7 oval in 2011and 9 road/street courses. I wonder how Randy will be able to get that desired 50-50 percent balance without ISC. At the moment, the outlook is bleak for both Chicagoland and Fontana.

With having two races in Kentucky too? Come on, reverse the grid after race 1 and have two races at all 1.5 miles ovals. These tracks are perfect for this format!

Dr. Krogshöj
1st September 2010, 16:49
Just a thought... But with the parting of the ISC and IndyCar eliminating a lot of ovals from future schedules, wouldn't it be logical to return to the hometown of Firestone and Dario Franchitti? I am talking about the Nashville Superspeedway, a race that was so abruptly cut after the 2008 season.

SarahFan
1st September 2010, 16:57
anyboby think we will ever see Lauzits and Rockingham (england) on the schedule?

I'd love to see it

Lousada
1st September 2010, 17:34
anyboby think we will ever see Lauzits and Rockingham (england) on the schedule?

I'd love to see it

Will never happen. These tracks do not even have safer barriers. These tracks are already nearly bankrupt and the complete oval is never used. To make that huge investment for one race a year, I don't see that happening. Maybe if Nascar Sprint cup with all their stars came over, but for the IRL no way.

Maybe a bigger problem is the fact that Tony George always ignored Europe. Which means the IRL was never broadcasted on over-the-air tv anywhere on the continent. Only tucked away on obscure pay-channels. CART on the other hand, even after the split, was always on Eurosport.
TG did more than anger millions of American fans, he also vaporized a complete generation of international fans. If the IRL came to Europe now, I think the stands would look awfully similar to Chicago and Kansas.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd September 2010, 09:24

I'd love to see it

These tracks couldn't break even in 2001-2003 when CART was still somewhat popular in Europe. Now, after years of no TV coverage, I don't see why any promoter would want to do pick up these races.

Anyway, here's my 2011 schedule prediction after this article: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/101726953.html

March 27: Streets of St. Petersburg
April 10: Barber Motorsports Park
April 17: Streets of Long Beach
May 1: Streets of Sao Paulo
May 29: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
June 11: Texas Motor Speedway
June 25: Iowa Speedway
July 2/3: Chicagoland Speedway or the Milwaukee Mile
July 17: Streets of Toronto
July 24: Edmonton City Centre Airport
August 7: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
August 14: New Hampshire Motor Speedway
August 21/28: Infineon Raceway
September 4: Streets of Baltimore
September 17: Twin Ring Motegi
October 2: Kentucky Speedway
October 16: Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Easy Drifter
2nd September 2010, 10:33
There is a problem with the Toronto proposed date of July 17.
ALMS is running one week later at Mosport.
Somebody is going to get slaughtered as far as spectators go and Mosport is far more fan friendly. Also cheaper I believe.
Dr. Panoz owns Mosport and ALMS and the ALMS race is their biggest income event.
There is also some speculation that Mosport will be one of the Intl. races and be at least 6 hours. If that happens the Audis and probably Peugots would come over.
Mosport pulled about 40,000 for the ALMS race last weekend with the only factory teams being the Vettes and BMW GT cars.
I expect Toronto to be July 10th.
Another possibility, and I have heard nothing, would be a swap of dates between Toronto and Edmonton and the IC race moved to Mosport.
That would be some exciting as the Audis are probably as fast as the IC cars so lap times in the 62 second range would be likely by both. That would be close to a 140 mph average and scary fast.
It is unlikely to happen but right now things do not make sense.

Lousada
2nd September 2010, 10:49
I expect Toronto to be July 10th.
Another possibility, and I have heard nothing, would be a swap of dates between Toronto and Edmonton and the IC race moved to Mosport.
That would be some exciting as the Audis are probably as fast as the IC cars so lap times in the 62 second range would be likely by both. That would be close to a 140 mph average and scary fast.
It is unlikely to happen but right now things do not make sense.

I wouldn't want to see an Indycar rip up the guardrails like that Porsche did last weekend :eek:

Easy Drifter
2nd September 2010, 11:23
Neither would I. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see concrete walls next year and moved back although that would be difficult because of the terrain. There are several valleys on the outside up the back straight right alongside the track. Nothing is impossible and Dr. Panoz has made huge improvements to the track.
Don't forget that the Glen is still mostly Armco.
Also not the huge speed differential with IC that there was at the ALMS race.
Indy cars were last at Mosport in USAC days in the 70's!
There is no question about Mosport being very fast, tricky and dangerous.
Indy cars would be doing around 160 down two and and the chute (4).

Chamoo
2nd September 2010, 11:27
I wouldn't want to see an Indycar rip up the guardrails like that Porsche did last weekend :eek:

Let me ask you this then, do you have a problem with Indycars running at Watkins Glen? Because they have a lot more guardrail there then Mosport.

As for Mosport, you would think they would most likely do something about that guardrail for the 2011 season whether the IICS goes there or not.

I'd love to see Indycar at Mosport, however, I would not want to drop the Toronto Indy. I think there is still huge potential for that event, we just need the right people running it.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry Drifter, didn't realize you posted while I was replying, I echo a lot of your statements.

Easy Drifter
2nd September 2010, 11:31
Ditto.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd September 2010, 12:09
I just noticed on Honda Indy Toronto's Facebook page that the 2011 race is tentatively scheduled for July 8-10. Still, two weeks separating it from the Grand Prix of Mosport doesn't seem to be long enough. Why did the IMSA reschedule that race knowing it would conflict with the Toronto event? Mosport is great track by the way, but Toronto is always one of the most entertaining races on the IndyCar schedule so I'd hate to loose it.

DavePI2
2nd September 2010, 12:51
latest news from alms is that they have confirmed the weekend of 9/2-9/4 2011 for their first race their to be ran as part of a dual weekend with irl. I guess this will keep midohio the same weekend in august for irl.

david

Easy Drifter
2nd September 2010, 13:22
The late July ALMS race date conflicted with the Nationwide race in Mtl. There are usually several Cdn. drivers in that race and this year had Jacques Villeneuve, Patrick Carparntier and Andrew Ranger among others. All 3 are from Quebec. Jacques was born in Quebec although he lived most of his life in Europe.
Many Quebec fans would normallly come to Mosport for the ALMS race. It is about a 4 1/2 to five hour drive from Mtl. which many Cdns. think of as nothing.
Now I personally think the new date is a big mistake but ALMS/Mosport do not seem to.
It will hurt attendance at both events as people will not want to spend big money just a couple of weeks apart or convince the other half a race is more important than the cottage. :D

DavePI2
2nd September 2010, 18:04
good point drifter, matter of fact all the alms races seem to be running close together. Next year might even seem worse with the loss of utah. Not sure what atherton is too do about it though. With the month layoff for lemans it makes scheduling tough. Also since their method of surviving(and I do hope they survive, they beat the h### out of rolex) is too run combined weekends with indy as much as possible it calls for a lot of races close together with all the road tracks indy runs in the summer. Maybe the imfomercial idea might work to bring new fans too the races also. One thing I will say for atherton he has done a fairly decent job of keeping the alms running in a very difficult time. Maybe Indycar should think about using his expertise if alms ever does fold.(bringing audi and porsche back sure wouldn't hurt the series either.)

Easy Drifter
3rd September 2010, 02:46
I am getting some vague vibes but nothing at all certain. The TO Honda Indy had a better crowd this year but still a way down from the old days. The organizers again upset a lot of people with the food/water ban and the food and beer prices were very high. The beer was Bud and it is not at all popular with many people. A lot of TO people like the craft beers.
Possibility is Edmonton goes to the 17th and the TO race goes the 24th with the ALMS at Mosport, possibly with a different promoter.
That keeps the Cdn. IC races a week apart. Again if ALMS gets a longer event, as rumoured, it would then run on Sat. into the evening with IC on Sunday. You do not want a race running into late evening on Sunday as the cottage traffic is heavy.
For those that do not know literally hundreds of thousands of people from the GTA head to cottage country every weekend.
This is just speculation, although I have heard some rumblings.

GRW1983
5th September 2010, 14:42
Well the speculation can end on Friday, as the 2011 IndyCar schedule will be released on September 10th. According to Versus, a 'well-known and liked' track returns to the schedule (Las Vegas, or perhaps Milwaukee). Also, I thought I'd share a few thoughts about Randy Bernard. He was interviewed by Sky Sports as part of their IndyCar coverage in the UK when he made his trip to Europe. He discussed meeting with different manufacturers and said there was a lot of keen interest in joining the series.

He also made reference to the fact that the IRL/CART split resulted in the loss of 15-20 MILLION fans worldwide from the sport that they need to get back. He put a lot of emphasis on building a fanbase both for existing IndyCar fans and new ones as well. He also talked about future races and discussed both Las Vegas & Milwaukee positively. He also made mention of the fact that he thinks Houston could be done in time for 2012 and that he'd love to have a race in New York. Overall, I was quite impressed at what he's trying to achieve for IndyCar and given time, he may well get things right. We shall see.

BrentJackson
5th September 2010, 19:12
I'm reading the points about Indycars at Mosport and just about laughing my head off. I'd love to see an Indycar / ALMS weekend at Mosport, but that would not happen, for a variety of reasons.

1) Mosport isn't ready for it. The lap record at Mosport is 138+ mph, on a track that has a first-gear hairpin. Indycars would be screaming through the Turn 2 and 4 turns at speeds of 150+ mph easily, and there is no gravel traps there or at Turn 3, and there is no room for a decent gravel trap at Turn 3. Then you have the fact that the track hasn't got enough fencing to handle Indycars. These can be fixed, but why would the investment be made? Adding to that, Mosport's fan facilities really aren't all that good. They are a damned sight improvement from years past, but they still very much lag behind a lot of other places, Exhibition Place included.

2) Michael Andretti is the Toronto promoter, and he only bought it a few years back. Why toss away an investment? Now, Toronto is going to have a rather large change in government next month, which will almost certainly toss a monkey wrench in things, but I doubt that will stop things. That being said, I'm not calling it impossible - Toronto's crowd this year was down from the old days, and plenty of Torontonians don't like the race because its noisy (in a town where virtually all of the waterfront is dominated by condo developments :rolleyes: ) and some of the more environmentally conscious ones think that motor racing has no business at all in a modern society. NIMBYs have lots of influence in Toronto, unfortunately.

Easy Drifter
5th September 2010, 20:56
The Indy cars are no faster than the Audis. Yes they are bit faster than the present NA ALMS cars but not by much.
The ALMS cars are doing 160 already through 2 and 4 and are flat out.
The track could handle the Indy cars.
More portable grandstands could be brought in. They bring in at least one for the ALMS race.
The track is far far more fan friendly than Toronto.
ALMS crowd is around 40,000 on Sunday now and about 30,000 on Sat.
The track has had far bigger crowds back in the first few years.
The biggest problem might be parking and camping space as a huge amount of what was spectator parking/camping is now paddock.

MDS
8th September 2010, 02:09
Milwaukee is back because that's where the ICS is going to announce the schedule, and this from the website, "2011 IZOD IndyCar Series schedule will be announced Sept. 10 in Milwaukee, which tells you either The Mile is back or CEO Randy Bernard wants brat after European trip."

The league is going to put its own money into Milwaukee, which may not be such a bad idea. The only thing I hear that's in play right now is if Chicago/Autoclub stays. Apparently the only two things in play are Chicagoland and California, supposedly ISC wants them as a packaged deal, but the relationship between ISC and the IRL has soured lately and a packaged deal would but the events at 19, which is more than what Randy has been saying is the goal. So here's what I see as the likely schedule:

May 29 Indy 500
June 5 The Milwaukee Mile
June 19 Iowa Speedway
July 3 Mid-Ohio
Aug. 28 Infineon Raceway
Oct. 2 Kentucky Motor Speedway
Oct. 16 Las Vegas Motor Speedway

If California makes the schedule I would expect Fontana to be one of the last three races of the season with Chicagoland in the end of June/early July.

Easy Drifter
8th September 2010, 05:11
As I keep saying I will be extremely surprised if Toronto is 1 week before the ALMS race at Mosport.
Again July 17 is the start of the Caribana weeks in Toronto. Note weeks! Caribana brings far more tourists to Toronto than the entire attendance is at the Toronto Indy and many millions of dollars to the city. Estimate of tourists is over 100,000.
The Toronto Indy is just a pimple compared to Caribana.
Even Scotty agrees with me.

MDS
10th September 2010, 17:15
Seriously they don't have the season finale done yet? A bad webcast and an incomplete schedule? While I'm impressed with how far the ICS has come this year they have a long, long way to go.

MDS
10th September 2010, 17:59
So here's the official schedule, no race on the fourth of July and six of the 18 races are sponsored by Honda. Which is great because it shows Honda's commitment to the series, but on the other hand few events have title sponsors that are not Honda, Iowa, Long Beach and Texas being the only ones and that's not really good for the growth of the series.

Overall its not a bad schedule, but a lot of it depends on the season finale race, whenever and wherever that is. If Vegas and Fontana fall through well.. it won't be good

http://www.indycar.com/schedule/55-izod-indycar-series/139-2011-izod-indycar-series/

Scotty G.
11th September 2010, 14:53
When is the "Honda Grand Prix of Honda, sponsored by Honda"? going to be run?

HONDA, HONDA, HONDA!!!

This series has no money. They can't even run a online stream of their press conference to announce the schedule correctly. Its a very minor league series.