PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Blown Diffusers

wedge
25th June 2010, 15:35
Are a new rage this weekend

Not a new concept. Remember the exhausts that exited underneath the floor/beginning of the diffuser from the early 90s/late 80s

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/exhaust-driven-diffusers/

Sleeper
25th June 2010, 20:43
I'll give it a few weeks, now that its popular, before it gets banned on cost grounds.

Jag_Warrior
25th June 2010, 21:20
Great article! :up:

Mia 01
25th June 2010, 21:41
Adrian is a genious.

Whats next?

V12
26th June 2010, 02:16
Lets not get used to them, they will soon be banned for being too clever (sorry, I mean to "cut costs") just like the double diffuser, Merc airbox (even if that hasnt gave an advantage, it looks different so its bad apparently!), and just about anything else, because lets face it all we need is adjustable rear wings and "KERS" programmed so it acts as a push to pass button (end sarcasm mode)

CNR
26th June 2010, 02:22
i heard this on motogp qualifying
ducati found that the exhaust gas heat on the rear fork was making the carbon fiber flexibale

so it may be that the ones coping the exhaust system without the matching air flow under the diffuser will make the car worse ?

ShiftingGears
26th June 2010, 11:35
i heard this on motogp qualifying
ducati found that the exhaust gas heat on the rear fork was making the carbon fiber flexibale

so it may be that the ones coping the exhaust system without the matching air flow under the diffuser will make the car worse ?

That's a distinct possibility if the rival teams aren't careful with how they implement it.

ioan
26th June 2010, 16:38
Adrian is a genious.

Yeah, he reinvented the wheel and Ferrari found nothing better then doing the same. :\

ioan
26th June 2010, 16:43
Lets not get used to them, they will soon be banned for being too clever (sorry, I mean to "cut costs") just like the double diffuser, Merc airbox (even if that hasnt gave an advantage, it looks different so its bad apparently!), and just about anything else, because lets face it all we need is adjustable rear wings and "KERS" programmed so it acts as a push to pass button (end sarcasm mode)

Well this is what mophead and the muppets want to give us, a show.
Who care about technical innovation nowadays anyway?
Panem et Circenses! That's what the plebs are getting, like 2000 years ago.

Kneeslider
26th June 2010, 17:42
Yeah, he reinvented the wheel and Ferrari found nothing better then doing the same. :\

Thanks for killing off a potentially interesting thread Ioan. Are you going to jump on anyone else's opinions if they dare to be different to your own?

ioan
26th June 2010, 19:08
Thanks for killing off a potentially interesting thread Ioan. Are you going to jump on anyone else's opinions if they dare to be different to your own?

Since when is it forbidden to post my opinion?

PS: Should I suppose that you improved your maths and came back to prove it?!

BDunnell
27th June 2010, 02:17
Since when is it forbidden to post my opinion?

Holding back once in a while is quite a polite thing, sometimes. If we all posted our honest opinion on every subject all the time, I know I would have been banned on several occasions, because once in a while one's honest opinion is, shall we say, less than constructive.

ioan
27th June 2010, 10:11
Holding back once in a while is quite a polite thing, sometimes. If we all posted our honest opinion on every subject all the time, I know I would have been banned on several occasions, because once in a while one's honest opinion is, shall we say, less than constructive.

I agree.
However I fail to see what mistake did I do when I said that Newey reinvented the wheel with the exhausts gases exiting into the diffuser. It is what reality is as this solution was used 20 years ago already.
And my post shouldn't stop anyone from continuing to discuss about the effectiveness of this setup.

Daniel
27th June 2010, 11:46
People are getting upset because Ioan doesn't want to blow exhaust gasses up Newey's diffuser? :rotflmao:

ioan
27th June 2010, 13:39
People are getting upset because Ioan doesn't want to blow exhaust gasses up Newey's diffuser? :rotflmao:

Good one! :D

GridGirl
29th June 2010, 19:51
I've had my motorsport gossip head on today. McLaren are putting the exhaust blown diffusers on the car for Silverstone. They've been none stop in the simulator testing it for the past two week and are apparently 0.6secs quicker using it. If that gain can be translated onto the track we can really see the championship get interesting. McLaren have never had a single upgrade that has gained them so much time.

Mysterious Rock
29th June 2010, 21:28
Plus new upgrades for the weekend could be a 1-2 as they predicted

wmcot
30th June 2010, 08:26
This is nothing new, but apparently all the designers had a memory lapse for about 2 decades! Many of the drivers in the 1980's and early 1990's tell of the car being stationary in the pitlane and blipping the accelerator which would cause the diffuser to suck the back of the car down even though it was standing still.

I am evil Homer
30th June 2010, 09:41
No it's subtley different to the other version in that they exited under the car into the diffuser. These are feeding hot air into the diffuser not part of it

Sleeper
30th June 2010, 13:01
This is nothing new, but apparently all the designers had a memory lapse for about 2 decades! Many of the drivers in the 1980's and early 1990's tell of the car being stationary in the pitlane and blipping the accelerator which would cause the diffuser to suck the back of the car down even though it was standing still.
The old idea had the exhausts exit through the diffusers but it was difficult to do as it became very sensitive when the driver went on/off throttle. A regulation change in the 90's put an end to that. The new blown diffusers dont actually exit into the diffuser but along side it, so a subtle difference.

Its the same as pull rod suspension, its nothing new but everyone is raving about it.

ioan
30th June 2010, 22:59
...its nothing new but everyone is raving about it.

You are right.
I never understood why people need to do this, but they really do.

Sleeper
30th June 2010, 23:35
You are right.
I never understood why people need to do this, but they really do.
Its fashion, just like Apple.

ioan
30th June 2010, 23:43
Its fashion, just like Apple.

I believe you are right.

wmcot
2nd July 2010, 07:50
The old idea had the exhausts exit through the diffusers but it was difficult to do as it became very sensitive when the driver went on/off throttle. A regulation change in the 90's put an end to that. The new blown diffusers dont actually exit into the diffuser but along side it, so a subtle difference.

While it is slightly different, the intended result and basic theory are the same.

wedge
2nd July 2010, 16:07
Its the same as pull rod suspension, its nothing new but everyone is raving about it.

Newey ideally wanted to experiment further with with the blown diffuser concept further in his McLaren days but never got to because of the new trend for exhaust chimmneys.

And as for making a fuss over old hats well people follow F1 for the variations in design. Things like blown diffusers/rear wings and pull rods have stood out from the crowd.

AndyL
5th July 2010, 11:16
From http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/european-grand-prix-the-key-decisions/ :

One interesting observation is that Red Bull has a setting on the engine, whereby the ignition is retarded on the over run, which maintains exhaust gas pressure even when the driver lifts off the throttle. This maintains the performance of the blown diffuser and keeps the downforce up when it’s most needed. It’s not something you can do for more than a lap or two as it damages the engine, but it gives that vital fraction of a second which keeps Red Bull ahead of the rest in qualifying.

Clever chaps these F1 engineers!