PDA

View Full Version : Julia Gillard - New Australian PM

Rollo
24th June 2010, 01:49
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/24/2935500.htm
Julia Gillard has been elected unopposed to the Labor leadership, seizing power in a bloodless Parliament House coup after Prime Minister Kevin Rudd decided not to contest this morning's leadership ballot.

Wow... just wow.

The Labor right obviously has thought that Rudd wouldn't take Labor through to the next election, so they've dumped him.

What does this say about the state of Australian politics? We've have a few State Premiers get the chop whilst in power, the Federal Opposition has changed leaders twice since the last election (thrice if you include Howard being elected out of his seat) and now this.

I've also noticed a freaky sort of co-incidence. Margaret Thatcher, Helen Clark and now Julia Gillard all being the first female Prime Ministers of their respective countries are all redheads. What does that say, if anything?

Valve Bounce
24th June 2010, 03:29
The Union scare campaign put Kevin Rudd in, and the Unions now have chosen Julia Gillard to replace Rudd.

Now What does that tell you?

Rollo
24th June 2010, 05:42
The Union scare campaign put Kevin Rudd in, and the Unions now have chosen Julia Gillard to replace Rudd.

Now What does that tell you?

Specifically that the mining super profits tax will be dropped? Otherwise, nothing. The ALP is otherwise both historically and a matter of fact made up of both individuals and affiliated Trade Unions - no change there then.

Valve Bounce
24th June 2010, 06:21
Interesting that both Govt. and BHP have suspended their adverts concerning the mining tax right away. And The Unions rule the ALP!.

Mark in Oshawa
24th June 2010, 07:06
I am thinking about all these red headed women ruling their countries....and I remember my ex is a redhead, ...and I know one thing is for sure. They aint lacking chutzpah!!!

Congrats to Australia for having a lady PM I guess. Rudd must have been a disappointment to his party. I cant see the people in the nation liking this much....funny lot voters, they like to pick their leaders....

Hawkmoon
24th June 2010, 07:55
Same ****, different smell?

People shouldn't forget that Gillard was a part of whatever it was they didn't like about Labor. Unless she makes a conscious effort to change Labor policy, what difference does it make? There's talk of an election being called within weeks. What possible difference can Gillard make in such a short period of time?

Daniel
24th June 2010, 08:41
Watch out, she's Welsh. With any luck you'll have a Welsh assembly, bilingual signs and government more concerned with culture and language rather than jobs.....

Mark
24th June 2010, 08:59
First we have the Australians invading Wales, then the Welsh are taking over Australia!

Valve Bounce
24th June 2010, 10:04
First we have the Australians invading Wales, then the Welsh are taking over Australia!

................and now we have the Unions taking over total control of the Government. :(

Mark in Oshawa
24th June 2010, 21:17
Gee...Labour is already on thin ice in OZ? Good lord, they have been in power just how long????

Rollo
24th June 2010, 21:20
................and now we have the Unions taking over total control of the Government. :(

You never know, they might actually elect the head of the ATCU to be PM.

Valve Bounce
25th June 2010, 02:10
You never know, they might actually elect the head of the ATCU to be PM.

They already did elect an ex union boss as PM, and the apparatchicks (Union Mafia) are the factions that axed KRudd.

Mark in Oshawa
25th June 2010, 20:30
I do think Australia will end up swinging back to the right next election...

Daniel
25th June 2010, 20:44
Almost certain Mark......

Mark in Oshawa
25th June 2010, 23:32
Almost certain Mark......

Well, it is healthy for a democracy for two reasonably compentant parties, one left leaning and one right leaning to alternate back and forth, but in this case, the left leaning party has imploded on its own stupidity and infighting from what I am reading? Would I be right?

It was just yesterday it seems that Howard was in power and people had their fill of him.....and now Rudd has been flushed and this lady PM is about as popular as a trip to the dentist. Aussies are not renowned for having that sort of instability...

ShiftingGears
26th June 2010, 01:56
The problem that voters like me have in the next election, is that most in both major parties are imbeciles.

Valve Bounce
26th June 2010, 10:01
The problem that voters like me have in the next election, is that most in both major parties are imbeciles.
I think that is what we all like to think; but unfortunately, these people are extremely intelligent, unscrupolous, and totally ruthless with no idea of loyalty whatsoever. Brutus would be proud of them.

ShiftingGears
26th June 2010, 10:10
I think that is what we all like to think; but unfortunately, these people are extremely intelligent, unscrupolous, and totally ruthless with no idea of loyalty whatsoever. Brutus would be proud of them.

I was thinking in terms of policies, not political self preservation.

raybak
26th June 2010, 14:57
I think everyone should vote for me in the next election, the Australia Rally Party. We have yet to register but believe that we can get at least 100 votes from the rally community.

Ray

Mark in Oshawa
26th June 2010, 16:29
Hell that aint unique to Australia. In Canada we have 3 national parties with seats, and the separatists from Quebec in there for good measure and we despise most of not all of them most of the time.

It is the perception of phony politics run amok and piggies at the trough. In reality, most of the people elected want to do the right thing...but they end up often looking as if they are playing a game or an agenda, even if they are not.