PDA

View Full Version : Thompson to test NGTC

christophulus
23rd June 2010, 18:52
James Thompson has been named as the test and development driver for the prototype car built to the British Touring Car Championship's new NGTC regulations.

Thompson, who has two BTCC titles and 36 race wins to his name, will begin testing the prototype car, which is being built by GPR Motorsport, in September.

The machine will also take part in the free practice sessions at the final round of the season at Brands Hatch on October 9.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/ (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84693)id/84693 (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84693)

Great candidate, hopefully he'll be back on the grid in 2011..

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 19:01
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/ (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84693)id/84693 (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84693)

Great candidate, hopefully he'll be back on the grid in 2011..

indeed, great thinking by toca. I could see thompson coming back next year in either btcc or wtcc. There was an article in autosport a couple of weeks ago about thompson doing the remaining rounds of the etcc in a team dynamics honda, or using a petrol seat leon

VkmSpouge
23rd June 2010, 19:44
It is mentioned on the BTCC.net article that there is a possibility that James Thompson may race the car at the finale at Brands Hatch, I guess that would only be the case if the car is deemed competitive and reliable enough.

Rover V8
24th June 2010, 10:27
Might also depend on the championship situation- if the championship battle goes down to the wire at Brands, it could be embarrassing for TOCA if their demonstration NGTC car was to be involved in a championship-deciding incident....

RMLCruzeing82
24th June 2010, 17:21
It is mentioned on the BTCC.net article that there is a possibility that James Thompson may race the car at the finale at Brands Hatch, I guess that would only be the case if the car is deemed competitive and reliable enough.

the cars not going to raceing Its going to be taking part in the free practice. ;)

mattie007
24th June 2010, 19:33
Im getting a great feeling for 2011 now....

PDS
24th June 2010, 19:37
Im getting a great feeling for 2011 now....
Getting excited about the new car already?

Nothing else to think about for the next seven weeks?

VkmSpouge
24th June 2010, 20:46
the cars not going to raceing Its going to be taking part in the free practice. ;)

Just saying what was in the full article on the official website:

He will also drive it in the two free practice sessions during the BTCC’s Finals Day event at Brands Hatch (9-10 October) and there is even a chance he could race it – thereby showcasing the new car in front a huge trackside and TV (ITV4) audience.

BDunnell
24th June 2010, 23:00
If he does race it, will it carry extra ballast? After all, it will be a late entry, like Reid last year.

Eurotech
26th June 2010, 10:23
He'll probably have ballast anyway because the cars build to NGTC spec are supposed to be faster than the cars built to S2000/BTC spec....

RMLCruzeing82
26th June 2010, 14:49
He'll probably have ballast anyway because the cars build to NGTC spec are supposed to be faster than the cars built to S2000/BTC spec....

what do the s2000 car have in BHP. as the NGTC cars will have 300+

and looking at the artist pic of the car again.

am i wrong in thinking it looks like a super touring as far as the body and aero kit?

Eurotech
26th June 2010, 17:30
S2000 cars have around 260-300 bhp as far as I know... I think they do look similar to the Super Tourers, mayb ToCA wanted to bring back the "glory days" of the BTCC :)

RMLCruzeing82
27th June 2010, 02:28
S2000 cars have around 260-300 bhp as far as I know... I think they do look similar to the Super Tourers, mayb ToCA wanted to bring back the "glory days" of the BTCC :)

o i do hope so and thanks for the info mate cheers

Sarah
27th June 2010, 18:34
Would be great if he could get to race it at Brands.

Eurotech
27th June 2010, 23:14
Does anyone know what car the NGTC test bed will be based on?

RMLCruzeing82
28th June 2010, 11:19
Does anyone know what car the NGTC test bed will be based on?

i was just about to ask the same question :)

id say something like a Vauxhall Insignia or Ford Mondeo or even a Honda Accord. who knows but i cant wait to see it :D

Eurotech
29th June 2010, 00:08
Could be a Honda given the James Thompson connection....

Allyc85
29th June 2010, 16:09
I thought the car they used with the press release looked a bit like the new MG. Would be better if it was a british manufacturer in my opinion :)

RMLCruzeing82
30th June 2010, 13:34
I thought the car they used with the press release looked a bit like the new MG. Would be better if it was a british manufacturer in my opinion :)

i agree mate id love to see an MG back in the bTCC even for one weekend but i do think Eurotech could be right JT does have a good CV with Honda

thetrooper_uk
1st July 2010, 14:00
James was asked by Alan Gow to do it so I don't think it's Honda asking for it to be James.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Cruze.

RMLCruzeing82
1st July 2010, 14:29
James was asked by Alan Gow to do it so I don't think it's Honda asking for it to be James.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Cruze.

being a chevy i was thinking Cruze myself but didn't think it would be but since someone saying the same im guna going to say...i hope so to

Eurotech
1st July 2010, 22:56
Well, whatever it is I reckon its fairly safe to guess that it'll be a mid size family saloon of some kind that will be built to try and entice manufacturers back to the series...

RMLCruzeing82
1st July 2010, 23:47
Well, whatever it is I reckon its fairly safe to guess that it'll be a mid size family saloon of some kind that will be built to try and entice manufacturers back to the series...

i agree

racer69
2nd July 2010, 08:30

How many manufacturers have shown any interest though? One could see the control engine being a steep obstacle to overcome

I always took the new regs to be more aimed at the privateers

Allyc85
2nd July 2010, 14:12
You dont have to use the TOCA engine, its just an option ;)

Eurotech
3rd July 2010, 17:19
Yeah exactly, Team Aon for instance went away and developed their ow NGTC engine to run on LPG....

RMLCruzeing82
7th July 2010, 14:55
you mite find this funny you mite not but i had a dream about Toca announcing the car they would be using for the NGTC prototype and they had two cars wrote down on 2 bits of paper in pen...lol.

1. Hillman Imp (i know what you thinking)
2. Lexus Is300 (i dont even like this car)

And the Lexus was picked

why i dreamed of this i dont know....why i had a "Hillman Imp" in my dreams to start off with is beyond me :\ ..... strange yet funny. i woke up giggling....my girlfriend thought id lost my marbles :rotflmao:

Daniel
7th July 2010, 17:03
Any particular reason you've chosen to share this rather unfunny anecdote with us?

RMLCruzeing82
7th July 2010, 19:03
Any particular reason you've chosen to share this rather unfunny anecdote with us?

no reason other than i was on the forum and was on this thread looking *shrugs*

VkmSpouge
8th July 2010, 19:47
you mite find this funny you mite not but i had a dream about Toca announcing the car they would be using for the NGTC prototype and they had two cars wrote down on 2 bits of paper in pen...lol.

1. Hillman Imp (i know what you thinking)
2. Lexus Is300 (i dont even like this car)

And the Lexus was picked

why i dreamed of this i dont know....why i had a "Hillman Imp" in my dreams to start off with is beyond me :\ ..... strange yet funny. i woke up giggling....my girlfriend thought id lost my marbles :rotflmao:

Your dream self chose correctly, the Lexus IS is a nice looking car :p :

Eurotech
8th July 2010, 23:56
Dreaming about Hillmans, Lexuses and presumably, Alan Gow.... you need help. ;)

RMLCruzeing82
9th July 2010, 15:32
Dreaming about Hillmans, Lexuses and presumably, Alan Gow.... you need help. ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: