PDA

View Full Version : Paying more for less

Sonic
20th June 2010, 21:17
I thought we had a thread on this already but having searched the forums I can't find it, so i'll start a new one.

Has anyone paid more to deliberately get less? For example my old man has recently spent around £500 on a new set of glasses, £300 of that went on the designer frames themselves. However these are "framless" glasses, so as far as I can see he's just paid a fortune for two arms and a metal nose bar! LOL.

Does anyone else have a story of spending more to get less?

Brown, Jon Brow
20th June 2010, 21:34
I thought we had a thread on this already but having searched the forums I can't find it, so i'll start a new one.

Has anyone paid more to deliberately get less? For example my old man has recently spent around £500 on a new set of glasses, £300 of that went on the designer frames themselves. However these are "framless" glasses, so as far as I can see he's just paid a fortune for two arms and a metal nose bar! LOL.

Porsche 911 GT3
BMW M3 CSL
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Ferrari 430 Scuderia

MrJan
20th June 2010, 21:49
You own all those Jon? Bloody students scrounging tax money and then spending it all on supercars, it weren't like that in my day.

Sonic
20th June 2010, 22:05
You own all those Jon? Bloody students scrounging tax money and then spending it all on supercars, it weren't like that in my day.

LOL :D

Brown, Jon Brow
20th June 2010, 22:07

How do you suggest I get to uni? Supecars are a necessity!

Sonic
20th June 2010, 23:08
How do you suggest I get to uni? Supecars are a necessity!

And very civic minded of you keeping those poor struggling hypercar makers in business by purchasing their products.

dunes
21st June 2010, 01:45
I paid my yearly taxes and got sold out by liberals in the white house.
I surly overpaid my goverment this and last year.

Rudy Tamasz
21st June 2010, 07:39
I'm a fan of books. Sometimes I pay more for those with the same content but nicer looking.

Same applies to women, BTW. I don't mean paying them money, but you have to pay in one way or another.

Valve Bounce
21st June 2010, 11:03

Well maybe if you told us how much your old man spent on Psychiatrists before and after he bought the frame. That should qualify for second best. :p :

Daniel
21st June 2010, 11:16
Bought some Speedline wheels for Caroline's car which are quite light. Probably could have got some crappy wolfrace rims for less :p

Captain VXR
21st June 2010, 11:43
Bottled water.
Audi A3 compared to Skoda Octavia
VW Passat compared to Skoda Superb
etc

GridGirl
21st June 2010, 13:49
£500 for a single pair of glasses? Jeeezzzus! I spent £150 on my last pair although they were half price because I also have contact lenses from the same optician. I need glasses or contacts to see but I'd never spend £500 on a single pair of glasses.

Jag_Warrior
21st June 2010, 20:22
Bought some Speedline wheels for Caroline's car which are quite light. Probably could have got some crappy wolfrace rims for less :p

Good example! Lightweight wheels tend to be crazy expensive. But you're paying to reduce the amount of unsprung weight, and I think that makes them worth every cent (if you want true high performance).

Jag_Warrior
21st June 2010, 20:26
I'm a fan of books. Sometimes I pay more for those with the same content but nicer looking.

Same applies to women, BTW. I don't mean paying them money, but you have to pay in one way or another.

You mean skinny girls tend to cost more than fuller figured girls? Since they don't eat as much, you'd think it would be just the opposite. But I think you might be right. :D

Daniel
21st June 2010, 20:29
Good example! Lightweight wheels tend to be crazy expensive. But you're paying to reduce the amount of unsprung weight, and I think that makes them worth every cent (if you want true high performance).
Do you like? ;)

http://i49.tinypic.com/123s4r4.jpg

The rim on the left is a 2118 and the one on the right is a 2109 which is obviously a bit worse for wear but one day will look very nice when refurbished.

Jag_Warrior
21st June 2010, 21:08
Very sharp set of wheels! What do those weigh compared to the stock wheels, plus or minus?

slinkster
21st June 2010, 21:10
Underwear.

Daniel
21st June 2010, 21:20
Very sharp set of wheels! What do those weigh compared to the stock wheels, plus or minus?
Haven't weighed the standard ones (they're on the car at the moment with tyres on) but I will try to. I suspect they won't be a huge amount lighter due to the fact that they're an inch wider than the standard wheels and half an inch wider than the other speedlines in the pic.

Getting a little more on topic..... the 16" wheels for our Fiat 500 were a £160 option to go from 15" to 16" and you'd think that alloys would be lighter than steel wheels? Nuh uh, the 14" steel wheels I have my winter rubber on are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much lighter.

GridGirl
21st June 2010, 21:30
Underwear.

That is so true. Although, my other half has purchased cycling boxers and special seamless boxers for hiking which cost way more than I have ever spent on pants! :s

Jag_Warrior
21st June 2010, 21:34
Haven't weighed the standard ones (they're on the car at the moment with tyres on) but I will try to. I suspect they won't be a huge amount lighter due to the fact that they're an inch wider than the standard wheels and half an inch wider than the other speedlines in the pic.

Getting a little more on topic..... the 16" wheels for our Fiat 500 were a £160 option to go from 15" to 16" and you'd think that alloys would be lighter than steel wheels? Nuh uh, the 14" steel wheels I have my winter rubber on are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much lighter.

Yeah, it's hard to compare wheel weights when they're of different sizes. Depending on what the alloy is, I'd say 16" steels should weigh more than 16" alloys though.

What is it that Colin Chapman used to say, "adding lightness is the key to speed", or something like that?

GridGirl
21st June 2010, 21:37
Daniel, are you seriously going to put mis-matching alloys on the Legacy? :s Or are you just showing two different sets as a comparison? I'm not Legacy bashing but mis-matched alloys will look pretty rubbish in my opinion. It would look pretty stupid on any car.

donKey jote
21st June 2010, 22:17
I think I´ll get meself an alloy wheel too then.. see if I can steer any faster :dozey:

Daniel
21st June 2010, 22:21
Of course it's a complete set Grig girl. I'm no fan of mismatched wheels either.

airshifter
22nd June 2010, 01:47
Underwear.

In the case of womens undergarments, money well spent!

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2010, 04:24
How about an Apple computer?