PDA

View Full Version : Computer related questions

Valve Bounce
20th June 2010, 05:56
When I get my new DELL Studio XPS 8100 PC it will run on Windows 7 and will be 64 bit.
1. Will it be possible to fit the hard drive from my old PC which was run on Windows XP as a second hard drive ? I mainly want to recover my pictures, music, and 4 series of The Wire, as well as some software. Once the data is recovered, I would like to know whether having this second hard drive would affect the running of the new PC.

2. The new PC will have 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 133 MHz Memory. Is it worthwhile/possible to recover the memory from my old PC which has 1GB (2x512) Memory 400MHz DDR SDRAM?

3. If one is not possible, is it possible to substitute the old hard drive in my external hard drive to recover the data?

Thanks for any help.

Jag_Warrior
20th June 2010, 07:18
You shouldn't have any issues between XP and 7. In fact, you can buy a hard drive enclosure and actually use your old drive as a USB drive in your new machine... or any other computer. I had to do that with some old drives from dead boxes I have. The only issue I've run into is with trying to get some drives from Win95 machines being recognized on an XP machine. I still haven't figured that out (any advice would be most welcome). But 98 to XP, XP to XP, XP to Vista and XP/Vista to Win7 shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to go the enclosure route, you can pick one up for about $20 American. You can also rig up cables and power and do the same thing, but I think the enclosure is a better idea in protecting the drive for periodic future use.

I don't know about the memory. But I doubt that would be a good way to go. Check with Daniel on that.

Valve Bounce
20th June 2010, 07:24
You shouldn't have any issues between XP and 7. In fact, you can buy a hard drive enclosure and actually use your old drive as a USB drive in your new machine... or any other computer. I had to do that with some old drives from dead boxes I have. The only issue I've run into is with trying to get some drives from Win95 machines being recognized on an XP machine. I still haven't figured that out (any advice would be most welcome). But 98 to XP, XP to XP, XP to Vista and XP/Vista to Win7 shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to go the enclosure route, you can pick one up for about $20 American. You can also rig up cables and power and do the same thing, but I think the enclosure is a better idea in protecting the drive for periodic future use.

I don't know about the memory. But I doubt that would be a good way to go. Check with Daniel on that.

I do have an enclosure that I can swap the drive it now has.

I'll check regarding the memory with Daniel. Thanks for your help.

veeten
20th June 2010, 14:46
No, VB, that 400MHz memory will not fit. Completely different holders, and the DDR3 runs on a higher bus rate than those DDR you have from the previous system.

as for the hard drive, it is best to just put that into an enclosure. Makes it portable, as well. :)

Valve Bounce
21st June 2010, 02:43
No, VB, that 400MHz memory will not fit. Completely different holders, and the DDR3 runs on a higher bus rate than those DDR you have from the previous system.

as for the hard drive, it is best to just put that into an enclosure. Makes it portable, as well. :)

Thanks.

Roamy
21st June 2010, 06:05
valve
the new roach should come with win 7
you should probably get a disk enclosure for your other disk and remove it from your old computer. If you don't want to do that then just plug them together with a ethernet and your new computer will se the disk on your old one drag and drop what you want

Roamy
21st June 2010, 06:06
ps ethernet to ethernet you may have to use a jump ethernet cable

Valve Bounce
21st June 2010, 06:22
I think there is space inside the new box for a second hard drive. I'll ask the guys who come here from Gizmo (Dell's installation contractors) if that is possible. I already have an external hard drive so I can just swap drives inside that if that is the more convenient option. It connects via USB.

airshifter
22nd June 2010, 01:38
Depending on the size and type of the old drive, it might not be worth installing. If it's an old IDE drive it won't be good for much except storage and playing some music on. But being the newer drives are so much faster it's rare people use them. I have a few IDE drives laying around in the garage that are more or less paperweights now.

And I think you lost a digit on your memory specs. 133 MHz ram was around a long time ago. Your new system is more likely the 1333 MHz. You might be able to sell the old stuff though. Sometimes it's worth more as it gets outdated, since they have quit producing it in large quantities.

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2010, 03:38
Depending on the size and type of the old drive, it might not be worth installing. If it's an old IDE drive it won't be good for much except storage and playing some music on. But being the newer drives are so much faster it's rare people use them. I have a few IDE drives laying around in the garage that are more or less paperweights now.

And I think you lost a digit on your memory specs. 133 MHz ram was around a long time ago. Your new system is more likely the 1333 MHz. You might be able to sell the old stuff though. Sometimes it's worth more as it gets outdated, since they have quit producing it in large quantities.

You are absolutely correct. I did lose a 3 and they are 1333 MHz memories.

All I really want is to recover a lot of stuff from my old hard drive; I do have an external HD and will simply swap the drives over to recover the stuff. I do have the first 4 series of The Wire, photos, and some music as well as a few softwares that I purchased via downloads.

My PC has now passed the manufacturing stage as completed, and I am awaiting the transporting stage.

I am rather amazed at the price of a comparable Apple Computer. I went to the Mall on Sunday and checked on the price of Apple Computers. One with the same CPU as mine but with only half the memory starts at $1000 more than mine. When you add the warranties and delivery I have, as well as the TV reception, it is double the price of my DELL. So much for the popular Apple computers. Nevertheless, the shop was chockablock full of customers wantng to look at anything and everything there, queuing to try the IPADS.