PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble?

greencroft
18th June 2010, 13:34
Where does this phrase that you hear the commentators, particularly Martin Brundle, using in qualifying originate from?

I can understand what it means but did Brundle coin the phrase or nick it from another branch of motorsport?

CNR
18th June 2010, 13:41
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-the-bubble.html

Meaning
On the threshold; finely balanced between success and failure. For example, if a qualifying competition for an event allowed the top eight runners to proceed to the next round then those who were close to qualification and could get through by a small increase in performance would be said to be 'on the bubble'.
Origin
This American expression seems to have originated in the car racing community, in particular the aficionados of the Indianapolis 500 race. The first citation I can find is from a report on the 1970 running of that race, in The Lima News, May 1970:

"On the 'bubble' is rookie Steve Krisiloff whose 162.448 m.p.h. was the slowest qualifying speed last weekend. With only six spots open, Krisiloff's machine would be ousted if seven cars qualified at a faster speed this week end."

AndyL
18th June 2010, 13:41
From Indy racing apparently:
http://www.english-for-students.com/On-The-Bubble.html

markabilly
18th June 2010, 13:45
I heard it for years and years describing qualifying at Indy 500, as when the field was full, someone trying to bump someone from the 33 car field by going faster,

it would be the guy who was in the field but currently the slowest of the field who was in danger of being bumped or on the bubble and thereby "bursting his bubble"....as in bubble gum.....

beyond that, where it came from, I do not know

Bagwan
18th June 2010, 14:27
Does the term may come from carpentry , perhaps ?

A spirit level , when level , is said to be "on the bubble" , as it has a bubble centered between two lines .

markabilly
18th June 2010, 14:59
Does the term may come from carpentry , perhaps ?

A spirit level , when level , is said to be "on the bubble" , as it has a bubble centered between two lines .
maybe so...I have heard of dreams as bubbles...somewhere, but that is also a good analogy cause it could go either way

All i really know is that it seems to even predate the reference above, i think , as i recall hearing it (i think) in 1966 Indy

Problem is I as get older, I say "a couple of years ago", and someone else says, you mean 1988????? :( :(

SGWilko
18th June 2010, 15:41
Aint Google great?

fandango
18th June 2010, 18:06
While we're on the subject of odd phrases, can anyone explain "keeping someone honest"? As in, he's really keeping his team-mate honest... ?

Bagwan
18th June 2010, 18:34
Poker term .
To cover the final bet is to "keep them honest" , by seeing the cards in the final showdown , to see if there was a bluff .