PDA

View Full Version : Johnson and Kahne say "they are in"

Scotty G.
17th June 2010, 05:43
Robin Miller reported today on Indy local radio that both Jimmie Johnson and Kasey Kahne told Randy Bernard at the Prelude, that "they are in" for the Indy 500 next year. They exchanged cell numbers and will discuss further at later dates.

Kyle Busch said he wants to do it, but might wait until he wins a Cup championship. Jeff Gordon said he probably wouldn't be competitive and wouldn't want to try it now. Those are the only 4 drivers Randy spoke to at the Prelude. And Randy told Robin on the way home that he was more confident and encouraged after speaking with them face-to-face, then he was previously.

Robin said Randy wants to talk with a couple of Cup owners (mentioned Rick Hendrick) to guage interest from their side and what it would take to make things work.

Robin said one thing being bantered about is taking the "HONDA" name off of the Cup driver's cars and the badging name off of their engines.

Said there are several things that still need to be worked out, but thinks it will get taken care of.

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 06:14
WhoooooHoooooo.....

That will save Indy Car!!!!!! it is called slumming!

Scotty G.
17th June 2010, 06:27
WhoooooHoooooo.....

That will save Indy Car!!!!!! it is called slumming!

No, but it might help save the Indy 500, which is slowly dying and getting less relevent by the year. And a bigger Indy 500 means more sponsors, more eyeballs and possibly more interest in the entire sport.

Continuing on doing the same things and trotting out the same unmarketable, unknown, unsellable drivers ain't gonna cut it.

You want marketable stars, who have fanbases? They ain't in Brazil or Belgium. They are in Charlotte.

racer69
17th June 2010, 06:35
What happens if one of these Cup heroes doesn't qualify though?

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 06:59
And a bigger Indy 500 means more sponsors,

Not necessarily. It might bring more exposure to the 500 but will do little to support the series.

You want marketable stars, who have fanbases? They ain't in Brazil or Belgium. They are in Charlotte.

So there are no Brazilian fans? Or Belgian? Do you think the world ends at the US border? You do realize there are tens of thousands of US businesses that do business in other countries? Why do you think that major corporations like ATT, Exxon/Mobil and HP are in F-1 and not Indy Car?

Worse case scenario. A NASCAR driver does really well and embarrasses the established Indy Car stars. It is a distinct possibility.

SarahFan
17th June 2010, 13:13
Bring em' on!!

ShiftingGears
17th June 2010, 13:16
Looking forward to it.

champcarray
17th June 2010, 15:39
I'm looking forward to seeing some NASCAR drivers joing the fray, too. I guess some of the board contributors don't realize that Indy used to attract great non-Indy drivers for "one offs" that spoke to the race's then importance. Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt, Cale Yarborough, Donnie Allison, etc.

MDS
17th June 2010, 15:40
It's not slumming, the Indy 500 has historically been about the best drivers in the world competing, during the 1970s F-1 drivers routinely participated in the race, and I think added a lot to Indy's lore and international prestige.

Khane is one of NASCAR's more popular drivers and Jimmy Johnson has by far been the dominate one. They bring credibility, more media coverage, additional story lines and most likely more viewers to the 500.

I'm growing a little tired of people trying to dump on good news.

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 15:53
You are so far behind the times it's scary. That already happened -- JPM.

JPM Started in Indy Cars then went to F-1. Then he ended up in NASCAR when nobody else would hire him.

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 15:57
I'm growing a little tired of people trying to dump on good news.

Ok.....Hypothetical: What would happen if Kahne wins the Indy 500?

NASCAR fans will claim that the Indy Car drivers aren't any good because their guy hopped into a car and spanked them.

How many people who watched because of the NASCAR connection would then tune into the next Indy Car race even though their "boy" isn't racing?

NASCAR drivers at the Indy 500 is good for the Indy 500.
It isn't good for the Indy Car series.

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 16:15
You missed the point. At one time he (JPM) was an F3000 driver then a CART driver, briefly (1 race) an IRL driver, then an F1 driver, and now a NASCAR driver. You can only peg a driver as a "whatever" driver if that is the only place they've competed.

You missed the point. NASCAR already beats the message into the masses that their drivers are the best in the world.

If one of their drivers hops in a Indy Car and embarrasses established Indy Car drivers it will just validate their belief.

nigelred5
17th June 2010, 16:21
Kahne came from the traditional breeding ground of indycar drivers though- the dirt tracks. I'd love to see those guys that SHOULD have been Indycar drivers all along drive in the 500.

Chris R
17th June 2010, 16:29
It is worth the risk - it is highly unlikely that one of the NASCAR guys will win in a one-off race.... (not that they couldn't if they ran a limited schedule and got enough seat time - but they won't get enough seat time...)

honestly, if one of them gets a taste of the milk, you might just be surprised at the outcome (if I am a race car driver who put plenty of money in the bank driving "taxi-cabs" I'd be all over going to race "real" cars....) the Indy 500 is still bigger individually than anything NASCAR has to offer....

AJ and Mario winning at Daytona did not ruin NASCAR....

They need to figure out how to get some F-1 drivers to the table as well......

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 16:54
the Indy 500 is still bigger individually than anything NASCAR has to offer....

Do you still believe that?
Sorry but the Daytona 500 is way bigger than the Indy 500. The Indy 500 isn't even the biggest race that day in the US.

AJ and Mario winning at Daytona did not ruin NASCAR....

Different time, Different era.

They need to figure out how to get some F-1 drivers to the table as well......

Doubtful. Most F-1 drivers want no part of Indy. Too Dangerous, and too beneath them.

We can argue the pros and cons all day but the fact is that Having NASCAR racers compete in the Indy 500 is just a gimmick. If you believe that it will stop the downward spiral that is Indy Car then you are quite the optimist.

garyshell
17th June 2010, 17:11
JPM Started in Indy Cars then went to F-1. Then he ended up in NASCAR when nobody else would hire him.

I would pay BIG money to see you walk up to Juan and say that to his face.

You are dellusional beyond belief.

Gary

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 17:14

Gary

Big Money? How much? I am expensive.

garyshell
17th June 2010, 17:18
We can argue the pros and cons all day but the fact is that Having NASCAR racers compete in the Indy 500 is just a gimmick.

So sayeth the only arbiter of motorsports facts, all the rest of us should just clam up. BTW where do we line up to kiss the ring?

What YOU see as a gimmick, many of US see as an attempt to return to a long standing tradition of drivers from multiple disciplines competing in the Indy 500. But then what do we know? We're just some low life scum, not worthy of the attention of a "real reporter".

Gary

garyshell
17th June 2010, 17:23

Gary

Big Money? How much? I am expensive.

And too chicken to do it at any price. Oh sure, you might go up to him and soft pedal it as if it were a question, "Uh, Mr. Montoya is it true that ...". But to state it as a fact as you did here, no way would you EVER have the cajones to do that.

Gary

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 17:27
And too chicken to do it at any price. Oh sure, you might go up to him and soft pedal it as if it were a question, "Uh, Mr. Montoya is it true that ...". But to state it as a fact as you did here, no way would you EVER have the cajones to do that.

Gary

Wow. When asked to put your money where you mouth is you go running for the "spin" dispenser.

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 17:29
So sayeth the only arbiter of motorsports facts, all the rest of us should just clam up. BTW where do we line up to kiss the ring?

What YOU see as a gimmick, many of US see as an attempt to return to a long standing tradition of drivers from multiple disciplines competing in the Indy 500. But then what do we know? We're just some low life scum, not worthy of the attention of a "real reporter".

Gary

I guess I struck a nerve. Don't like my opinion? Too bad.

How about you explain to me how having some NASCAR drivers in the Indy 500 will help the series as a whole?

Lee Roy
17th June 2010, 17:33
honestly, if one of them gets a taste of the milk, you might just be surprised at the outcome (if I am a race car driver who put plenty of money in the bank driving "taxi-cabs" I'd be all over going to race "real" cars....)

You're kidding, right? I can hear Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus right now.

"Hey Chad, are the engineers and the guys in the fabrication shop working on the Indy 500 car?"

"No Jimmie, we buy the same chasis from the same off-the-shelf provider as everyone else. Our engineers and fab guys are looking for work now."

"Well Chad, how about the engine shop, what's going on in there to get ready?"

"Take a look here Jimmie, our new "engine shop" is now the old broom closet, it's were we store the crate that the engine comes in."

"Well Chad, what are we doing to make it better?"

Chad: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

the Indy 500 is still bigger individually than anything NASCAR has to offer....

What was the Daytona 500 TV rating and what was the Indy 500 TV rating?

garyshell
17th June 2010, 17:44
We can argue the pros and cons all day but the fact is that Having NASCAR racers compete in the Indy 500 is just a gimmick.

I guess I struck a nerve. Don't like my opinion? Too bad.

Nope, just sick and tired of YOU telling us that your opinions are facts (your words not mine, see quote above). You claimed it was a fact, and now say it was just your opinion. You can't have it both ways Mr. "Reporter".

Gary

garyshell
17th June 2010, 17:48

Gary

Wow. When asked to put your money where you mouth is you go running for the "spin" dispenser.

No spin, just fact. You would never say it to his face in the exact words you did here and you know it. You'd have your teeth handed to you.

Gary

anthonyvop
17th June 2010, 18:00
No spin, just fact. You would never say it to his face in the exact words you did here and you know it. You'd have your teeth handed to you.

Gary

You assume way too much!!! HeHeHe Now if you want to continue with your assumptions I suggest you put your money where your mouth is like you first offered. Until them you can forget me responding to your personal insults.

SarahFan
17th June 2010, 18:01
I don't see how more eyeballs ..... Even for 1 race ..... Can be a bad thing

I also believe far more cab fans will watch the 500 than ow fans will tune in for the 600

Bring em' on.... And the more competitive they are the better.... Bigger names the better also

* I'm posting frommy phone .... I know neither schedule is set for 2011..... But is there a lead in race (Kansas?) where the cup guys and shakedown an ow car?

MDS
17th June 2010, 18:09
Ok.....Hypothetical: What would happen if Kahne wins the Indy 500?

NASCAR fans will claim that the Indy Car drivers aren't any good because their guy hopped into a car and spanked them.

Seriously, I could care less what NASCAR fans think about the ICS, but there is more crossover than most people believe. I saw a ton of NASCAR shirts and hats at Barber earlier this year, at Nashville two years ago, and in St. Pete last year. At Barber we were two spots down from a converted school bus painted in Jeff Gordon colors.

As far as I'm concerned anything that sparks debate about the ICS, including the scenario you just mentioned, is a good thing.

How many people who watched because of the NASCAR connection would then tune into the next Indy Car race even though their "boy" isn't racing?

NASCAR drivers at the Indy 500 is good for the Indy 500.
It isn't good for the Indy Car series.

It's not bad either. No one is saying that this is a panacea that will solve all the problems, but in all likeliness it would bring prestige and viewers the Indy 500, which will have a knock on effect for all of the full time sponsors. It gives you another line to tell companies, it gives companies who might be on the fence another reason to sign on for a full season deal.

Seriously, its a good thing, not the greatest thing, but good.

00steven
17th June 2010, 18:13
It will be awesome! It will help the Indy 500 a lot and will create a bunch of great storylines. It will be tough though, the only drivers I think have a chance are JPM and Kyle Busch.

Mark in Oshawa
17th June 2010, 20:13
You missed the point. NASCAR already beats the message into the masses that their drivers are the best in the world.

If one of their drivers hops in a Indy Car and embarrasses established Indy Car drivers it will just validate their belief.

If you believe THAT will happen, other than JPM I defy you to tell me how Kasey Kahne and Jimmy Johnson are going to be those guys. C' mon Tony, you are dumping on a plan to bring relevent American drivers back to Indy, something we all know is needed, and now you say this can happen? I think first off, unless Jimmie or Kasey have a ride with either Ganassi or Penske, it isn't likely. Secondly, they have been driving a car that has little in common with an IRL Dallara. You just don't jump from one to the other and succeed right away. Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon would be the only two other names besides JPM I could see making a go of it.

Look at this way. John Andretti is a field filler in NASCAR, and he comes to Indy, and he serves the same role....and he is familiar with both forms of racing.

For Jimmie, Kasey or Say even Jeff Gordon to be a race winner would take an act of Congress and a lot of luck because they haven't been racing this type of car the last decade. Being fast in a sprint or midget prepares you for NASCAR, not handling a 225mph hour lap in a Dallara at Indy. IF it was so easy, Jeff Gordon would be anxious to give it a go....

Redstorm
17th June 2010, 22:17
Seriously, I could care less what NASCAR fans think about the ICS, but there is more crossover than most people believe. I saw a ton of NASCAR shirts and hats at Barber earlier this year, at Nashville two years ago, and in St. Pete last year. At Barber we were two spots down from a converted school bus painted in Jeff Gordon colors.

As far as I'm concerned anything that sparks debate about the ICS, including the scenario you just mentioned, is a good thing.

It's not bad either. No one is saying that this is a panacea that will solve all the problems, but in all likeliness it would bring prestige and viewers the Indy 500, which will have a knock on effect for all of the full time sponsors. It gives you another line to tell companies, it gives companies who might be on the fence another reason to sign on for a full season deal.

Seriously, its a good thing, not the greatest thing, but good.
Agree 100%. Eyes have to look before they will follow so any extra pairs tuning in have a better chance of gaining viewers that a wish and a prayer. I would love for Smoke and JPM to lose the pounds to get back in one. NASCAR may still be king but it's not exactly booming right now. Indy better take it's shot while the gettings good.

Scotty G.
17th June 2010, 23:03
Being fast in a sprint or midget prepares you for NASCAR, not handling a 225mph hour lap in a Dallara at Indy. IF it was so easy, Jeff Gordon would be anxious to give it a go....

Jeff Gordon is too old and too rich and too married to give the Indy 500 a try now. 10 years ago, it would maybe be different. But he is very content with being a multi-time Cup champion and multi-race winner at Indy.

And if complete hacks like Milka Duno, Marty Roth and all of these road racers who have no oval experience and no experience racing at anything over 150 MPH, can figure out how to run 220 MPH in a Dallara, I don't see some of the BEST American driving talent around, having any trouble.

Give any of these Cup boys a good car with a good engineer, and they will be right there. In no time. Racing will be a different animal, but getting up to speed? No problem.

Scotty G.
17th June 2010, 23:07
NASCAR may still be king but it's not exactly booming right now. Indy better take it's shot while the gettings good.

NASCAR drops a few decimal points in the ratings and now folks think they are in trouble.

Check the weekly sports TV ratings and see where NASCAR comes in most weeks.

Indy better worry about getting to Craftsman Truck levels of interest and popularity before it ever dreams of Cup. They are so far down the racing chain in this country, its not even funny.

The rest of the series will take a minor miracle to become relevent again. But saving the Indy 500 from irrelevence is still doable, with a much better and sellable driver lineup. Its still Indy, BTW. It still has 100 years of history and tradition. It just needs a whole different driver lineup to get America to care again. And getting 4 or 5 Cup guys to come compete, is what it will take to reverse the ratings trend.

Redstorm
18th June 2010, 07:58
I am well aware of how far down the ladder they really are. NASCAR is screwing up by all the rule changes and gimmicks it adds though. There is nothing that says they will continue to be top dog just because that's where they sit now. They just won't fall off the top on their own. Indy must push some.

I am evil Homer
18th June 2010, 09:50
You're kidding, right? I can hear Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus right now.

"Hey Chad, are the engineers and the guys in the fabrication shop working on the Indy 500 car?"

"No Jimmie, we buy the same chasis from the same off-the-shelf provider as everyone else. Our engineers and fab guys are looking for work now."

"Well Chad, how about the engine shop, what's going on in there to get ready?"

"Take a look here Jimmie, our new "engine shop" is now the old broom closet, it's were we store the crate that the engine comes in."

"Well Chad, what are we doing to make it better?"

Chad: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

What was the Daytona 500 TV rating and what was the Indy 500 TV rating?

Likewise ask anyone outside of the continent to name a US race/circuit and they will say one of 3: Indy 500, Laguna Seca, Daytona 24 hours.

They still have the prestige and the 'brand'

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 11:56
Likewise ask anyone outside of the continent to name a US race/circuit and they will say one of 3: Indy 500, Laguna Seca, Daytona 24 hours.

They still have the prestige and the 'brand'

If that meant squat, then the pole sitting car for this year's Indy 500 would have had a sponsor. The pole sitting car for the Daytona 500 did.

I am evil Homer
18th June 2010, 12:20
Indy 500 and perhaps by extension IRL should be huge but the immense mis-management means even a globally recognised brand like the "500" is losing it's sheen. But it does still have a brand to attract top drivers and sponsors.

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 12:33
Indy 500 and perhaps by extension IRL should be huge but the immense mis-management means even a globally recognised brand like the "500" is losing it's sheen. But it does still have a brand to attract top drivers and sponsors.

Then why didn't the POLE WINNING car have a sponsor? And it was driven by a three time winner with the noteriety of winning Dancing With The Stars.

'Globally recognised brand'? It isn't even the biggest race in Central Indiana anymore. Guess what, I'll guarantee you that the pole winning car for the Brickyard 400 will have a sponsor.

00steven
18th June 2010, 15:36
Then why didn't the POLE WINNING car have a sponsor? And it was driven by a three time winner with the noteriety of winning Dancing With The Stars.

'Globally recognised brand'? It isn't even the biggest race in Central Indiana anymore. Guess what, I'll guarantee you that the pole winning car for the Brickyard 400 will have a sponsor.

Penske has his own brand, He's one of the richest people in America. The Indianapolis 500 is still the greatest specticle in racing. Brave men and women risk their lives at every event. It's the most dangerous and most historic racing venue in the world. So if you can't appreciate that, why don't you go on the NASCAR forum and talk about how good (7th) Jr. did this week.

SarahFan
18th June 2010, 15:58
What happens if the winner of the 500 isnt running in Charlotte later that day?

Makes me wonder if that happens does the whole thing fall apart the first year....?

In NASCAR does the driver or car qualify?

And this deal is with the folks in Charlotte .... Not NASCAR ... How do the head honchos feel about this whole thing, so far we haven't heard a peep from them

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 16:57
Penske has his own brand, He's one of the richest people in America. The Indianapolis 500 is still the greatest specticle in racing. Brave men and women risk their lives at every event. It's the most dangerous and most historic racing venue in the world. So if you can't appreciate that, why don't you go on the NASCAR forum and talk about how good (7th) Jr. did this week.

Let's see, I pull up the forum page and notice that there's a thread on the IndyCar board with "Johnson and Kahne", two NASCAR drivers in the title. I'm not allowed to participate in and NASCAR thread?

Penske has his own brand . . . . .

That has to be the most pathetic excuse I've ever seen.

harvick#1
18th June 2010, 17:04

Lee Roy, the Penske Racing cars of #3 and #6 are sponsored by Philip Morris, the company under contract with them is Marlboro and they are not allowed to have their names on the car, hence then you have the Team Penske over the barcode like the Scuderia Ferrari team had

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 17:05
In NASCAR does the driver or car qualify?

The car. A substitute driver can qualify the car and another can drive it. But the car will have to go to the rear of the field.

And this deal is with the folks in Charlotte .... Not NASCAR ... How do the head honchos feel about this whole thing, so far we haven't heard a peep from them

I hope NASCAR's response would be to move the 600 start time up to 1:00 PM

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 17:07
Lee Roy, the Penske Racing cars of #3 and #6 are sponsored by Philip Morris, the company under contract with them is Marlboro and they are not allowed to have their names on the car, hence then you have the Team Penske over the barcode like the Scuderia Ferrari team had

I understand that that has come to an end.

harvick#1
18th June 2010, 17:14
Penske has his own brand, He's one of the richest people in America. The Indianapolis 500 is still the greatest specticle in racing. Brave men and women risk their lives at every event. It's the most dangerous and most historic racing venue in the world.

the greatest race in the world just happened last Saturday/Sunday, I dont see the IRL having Audi, Peugeot, Aston Martin, Lola, HPD, Chevrolet, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, and Spyker all together for one race. all I saw was 33 ugly Dalarras powered by Honda, and all with the same tires. yep, end the spec racing and maybe the 500 can come back

SarahFan
18th June 2010, 17:14

Not anymore....

Cindric confirmed no more $$$$$ cash from PM...hence the paint job change for this season

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 17:16
the greatest race in the world just happened last Saturday/Sunday, . . . . .

Bingo. In full agreement.

harvick#1
18th June 2010, 17:19
Not anymore....

Cindric confirmed no more $$$$$ cash from PM...hence the paint job change for this season

thanks for the info, I didnt know that PM left at the end of last year

SarahFan
18th June 2010, 17:19
So Leeroy.... Clearly your hoping this doesn't happen

but why?

What exactly is your problem with it?

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 17:29
So Leeroy.... Clearly your hoping this doesn't happen

but why?

What exactly is your problem with it?

I'm tired of seeing "Indy Car" riding on NASCAR's coat-tails (for example, it's widely accepted that the profits from the B/Y 400 are what helps to fund the IRL's deficits) and the Indy Car fans do nothing but insult NASCAR, it's fans and it's participants.

Yet, even with all of these insults and derision, every time there is a hint of a NASCAR driver competing in the Indy 500, the fans on Indy-Car forums have a veritible splooge-fest in anticipation of the presence of NASCAR drivers rescuing the Indy 500 from the current downward spiral it finds itself in.

Just like seeing people get their comeuppance.

SarahFan
18th June 2010, 18:12
Ok fair enough...

I agree .... I see where your coming from and I agree

no upside for the NASCAR community from what I can see ....

Ya gotta wonder why that hood ol' boy down in Charlotte was so giddy he rushed to break the story though don't you?

Lee Roy
18th June 2010, 18:22
Ya gotta wonder why that hood ol' boy down in Charlotte was so giddy he rushed to break the story though don't you?

Pretty simple really, he owns the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Smith's always promoted stunts at the speedway such as jumping school busses over ramps. I put this latest stunt in that same general category.

anthonyvop
18th June 2010, 21:15
the greatest race in the world just happened last Saturday/Sunday, I dont see the IRL having Audi, Peugeot, Aston Martin, Lola, HPD, Chevrolet, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, and Spyker all together for one race.

Don't forget reports of the Attendance being at 300K this year.

Anubis
18th June 2010, 22:05
If you believe THAT will happen, other than JPM I defy you to tell me how Kasey Kahne and Jimmy Johnson are going to be those guys. C' mon Tony, you are dumping on a plan to bring relevent American drivers back to Indy, something we all know is needed, and now you say this can happen? I think first off, unless Jimmie or Kasey have a ride with either Ganassi or Penske, it isn't likely. Secondly, they have been driving a car that has little in common with an IRL Dallara. You just don't jump from one to the other and succeed right away. Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon would be the only two other names besides JPM I could see making a go of it.

Allmendinger and Hornish maybe, although I accept they'd be going back to OW rather than trying it for the first time. I'd love to see it. I don't think it would undermine one series or elevate the other, just demonstrate that some drivers are talented whatever the machinery. Balkanisation won't get the series anywhere.

call_me_andrew
19th June 2010, 04:02
What happens if one of these Cup heroes doesn't qualify though?

Then it'll be the most talked about bump day in years.

When did Marlboro stop sponsoring Penske?

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2010, 04:29
When did Marlboro stop sponsoring Penske?

By Luc Fradette
Wednesday, February 24, 2010

For the first time since 1990, the Penske cars will not have the familiar fluorescent orange and white paint scheme for the upcoming 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series.

Those colors will be replace by black sides, a white center strip and red accents on all three cars, the rear wing end fences being the most distinguishing parts.

The reason for the color switch follows Philip Morris USA/Altria’s decision to discontinue its sponsorship of the team and individual race events.

From now on Verizon Wireless is the primary sponsor of Will Power's car and an associate sponsor on the two other Dallara-Honda to be driven by Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves.

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/irl/irl-team-penske-loses-marlboro-sponsorship?artid=116350

Here's a better/more complete article on it from AutoWeek:
Penske loses Philip Morris sponsorshi (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100224/irl/100229953)p

The team will field cars this year for Castroneves, Briscoe and Will Power, who ran a partial schedule for Penske last year with Verizon sponsorship. The cellular network provider is now featured on all three cars.

Penske has a host of secondary sponsors to meet its budget, but Cindric said primary sponsors could come on board during the upcoming season. That means it might not be 20 years before the colors change again.

markabilly
19th June 2010, 12:11

Gary
what about his medical bills, you gonna pay those too??

SarahFan
19th June 2010, 16:53
Leeroy....

Just to be clear it's widely accepted that $$$$ aS funneled from the by to support Tonys delusional vision..... A vision that was a complete failure, that has virtually put aowr on the brink of extinction, certainly the endangered list

So.... Do you have a second example of ow clinging on to NASCAR?

Or are you just upset that a few fans have hurt your feelings over the years?

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 17:16
Leeroy....

Just to be clear it's widely accepted that $$$$ aS funneled from the by to support Tonys delusional vision..... A vision that was a complete failure, that has virtually put aowr on the brink of extinction, certainly the endangered list

Hey, aowr's inability to put a viable product on the track isn't NASCAR's problem.

How about this idea of getting NASCAR drivers to compete in the Indy 500 to boost the Indy 500's ratings?

(And don't trot out Bruton Smith's name, he's just a track owner. It was the IRL's Randy Bernard's idea) [/QUOTE]

SarahFan
19th June 2010, 17:35
The $$$$ supported a delusional vision that has devastated aowr.... I would hardly consider that clinging to the coattails ....

So with your only other e ample being a 20mil payday for doing the double........you really have nothing to support your 'continually' comment

?

SarahFan
19th June 2010, 17:40
My apologies ..... I just double checked .... You didn't use the word 'continually'....

That was just my interpretation of your comment....

But.....

I guess I just don't see Tony funding his vision or the possibility of a racer from NASCAR winning 20mil as riding the NASCAR coattails ...

Any other examples with ANY validity to support your statement

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2010, 18:42
Jeff Gordon is too old and too rich and too married to give the Indy 500 a try now. 10 years ago, it would maybe be different. But he is very content with being a multi-time Cup champion and multi-race winner at Indy.

And if complete hacks like Milka Duno, Marty Roth and all of these road racers who have no oval experience and no experience racing at anything over 150 MPH, can figure out how to run 220 MPH in a Dallara, I don't see some of the BEST American driving talent around, having any trouble.

Give any of these Cup boys a good car with a good engineer, and they will be right there. In no time. Racing will be a different animal, but getting up to speed? No problem.
Those Hacks are not competitive and a joke. It is the last 1% of speed that you need to be competive. The Hack's cannot get within 5% of the best time. The NASCAR guys will get a lot closer, but they wont win.

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2010, 18:46

Lee Roy, you do of course ignore all the sponsors on the winning car of the Indy 500. I guess you also know that people in Europe still know what the Indy 500 is. I can tell you they don't care if Kansas has an oval, or have a clue what Darlington is. They may have heard of Bristol, but it isn't the Indy 500. Nice try, but the reality is the Indy 500 is a brand, and your wishful thinking for the death of indycar racing wont change that.

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2010, 18:53
Leeroy....

Or are you just upset that a few fans have hurt your feelings over the years?

I think you have just hit the nail on the head. He is tired of what he perceives as snobbery on the behalf of Indycar fans, of course completely looking the other way when some yob with a Tony Stewart shirt can say with equal conviction that those "furrin boys are just a bunch of pansy ******s who cant drive" and then watch JPM and not see the hypocracy in it.

Americans are always quick to point something great in their nation as it being the world's best. The World Series, the World Champions are often tagged on the winners of the NBA final, never mind that they never actually play anyone outside of the NBA. Not that I doubt they are correct, but there is a lot of jingoism and naivety about the rest of the world and its sports. Now we see a brand that the rest of the world actually still recognizes, even if they know it isn't what it once was, and Lee Roy wants to rip it apart for some perceived griveance. What he isnt' telling you of course is he used to watch CART before the IRL came along and he is an f1 fan. I guess he hasn't been insulted by some Brit or Frenchman at an F1 race in Europe. If he thinks Indycar fans are hard on NASCAR, go to Europe and spread this myth that the NASCAR drivers are the best in the world....

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 21:12
My apologies ..... I just double checked .... You didn't use the word 'continually'....

That was just my interpretation of your comment....

But.....

I guess I just don't see Tony funding his vision or the possibility of a racer from NASCAR winning 20mil as riding the NASCAR coattails ...

Any other examples with ANY validity to support your statement

aowr at one time got publicity on a television "magazine show" called RPM2night (or as aowr fans used to call it: NASCAR2night). When NASCAR left to start their own show, RPM2night died. Where can I catch any news on aowr on a regular basis on an accessible outlet now?

How's that?

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 21:18
I think you have just hit the nail on the head. He is tired of what he perceives as snobbery on the behalf of Indycar fans, of course completely looking the other way when some yob with a Tony Stewart shirt can say with equal conviction that those "furrin boys are just a bunch of pansy ******s who cant drive" and then watch JPM and not see the hypocracy in it.

Americans are always quick to point something great in their nation as it being the world's best. The World Series, the World Champions are often tagged on the winners of the NBA final, never mind that they never actually play anyone outside of the NBA. Not that I doubt they are correct, but there is a lot of jingoism and naivety about the rest of the world and its sports. Now we see a brand that the rest of the world actually still recognizes, even if they know it isn't what it once was, and Lee Roy wants to rip it apart for some perceived griveance. What he isnt' telling you of course is he used to watch CART before the IRL came along and he is an f1 fan. I guess he hasn't been insulted by some Brit or Frenchman at an F1 race in Europe. If he thinks Indycar fans are hard on NASCAR, go to Europe and spread this myth that the NASCAR drivers are the best in the world....

As usual, you waste a lot of bandwidth typing some fantasy where you don't know what your talking about and don't even worry about if it's true or not. Putting you back on my ignore list since you're a complete waste of time.

And speaking of Europe, I'm leaving in a couple of weeks for my second trip this year.

Good bye.

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 21:27
Anyone watching the NASCAR race at Road America?

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2010, 22:00
Yup! Pulling for Jacques. :up:

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 22:14
Yup! Pulling for Jacques. :up:

Me too. Been a big JV fan since I first saw him race at Nazareth in 1995.

SarahFan
19th June 2010, 22:27
aowr at one time got publicity on a television "magazine show" called RPM2night (or as aowr fans used to call it: NASCAR2night). When NASCAR left to start their own show, RPM2night died. Where can I catch any news on aowr on a regular basis on an accessible outlet now?

How's that?

Not sure I understand your point.....

Are you suggesting that when rpmtonite reported on aowr that aowr was suckeling thenascar teet?

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 22:32
Not sure I understand your point.....

Are you suggesting that when rpmtonite reported on aowr that aowr was suckeling thenascar teet?

RPM2night only existed because of NASCAR. Every other race series covered benefited from that.

SarahFan
19th June 2010, 22:38
RPM2night only existed because of NASCAR. Every other race series covered benefited from that.

Or rpm only exicted becusse of NASCAR.....and when Tony split the sport millions of fans left aowr.... Found info on NASCAR more readily available became fans .....

And ultimatly NASCAR benifitted

again.... Example please

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 22:45
Or rpm only exicted becusse of NASCAR.....and when Tony split the sport millions of fans left aowr.... Found info on NASCAR more readily available became fans .....

again.... Example please

What you said makes no sense at all.

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 22:46
Whoops. Big pile up at RA.

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 23:38
green again

Lee Roy
19th June 2010, 23:49
Too much caution time. Gotta DVR the rest.

DanicaFan
20th June 2010, 03:13
Have they officially changed the Indy 500 start time for next year yet or still in the works ?

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 14:50
I'm tired of seeing "Indy Car" riding on NASCAR's coat-tails

my apologies leeroy.....i was out of town and posting from my phone so i suspect my point earlier was'nt clear...

so heres it is....

you have stated that your tired of Indycar riding nascars coattails....when asked to expand and that you have offered:

A. the topic of discussion, the $20mil double.... well personnally I agree Indycar will get far increased exposure....its also true the good ol boy from the nascar side of the double rushed to leak the story and IMO a nascar driver is far more likely to win both (certainly be in some contention to win) than an indycar driver........so true the upside is better for indycar....but I dont see any downside for nascar in the deal

B. Tony George useing BY400 income to financially support the IRL..... well lets be honest said money supported the decline of AOWR...... so I suggest your point holds no water

C. that a show on espn (a network that at the time carried OWraces) called RPM tonite, not nascartonite, but RPM tonite dedicated time to AOWR..... well that might just be one of the top five stupidest statements i have ever read on the racing boards....and that is saying something

so really it appears your problem with the $20mil double is that along the way a few fans of AOWR have hurt your feelings

well thats just weak

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 14:51
Have they officially changed the Indy 500 start time for next year yet or still in the works ?

in the works

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 15:18
A. the topic of discussion, the $20mil double.... well personnally I agree Indycar will get far increased exposure....its also true the good ol boy from the nascar side of the double rushed to leak the story and IMO a nascar driver is far more likely to win both (certainly be in some contention to win) than an indycar driver........so true the upside is better for indycar....but I dont see any downside for nascar in the deal

You continue to call Bruton Smith part of NASCAR, which he isn't. I guess if that makes you feel like NASCAR gives two squirts about this little publicity stunt, then help yourself.

B. Tony George useing BY400 income to financially support the IRL..... well lets be honest said money supported the decline of AOWR...... so I suggest your point holds no water

The point is that aowr used NASCAR generated funds for operations that it couldn't generate for itself. If you want to obscure that fact with all that "decline of AOWR nonsense", I guess that makes you feel better.

C. that a show on espn (a network that at the time carried OWraces) called RPM tonite, not nascartonite, but RPM tonite dedicated time to AOWR..... well that might just be one of the top five stupidest statements i have ever read on the racing boards....and that is saying something

So, you're saying that aowr was never covered by RPM2night? And I made a stupid statement? Help yourself with your revisionist history.

so really it appears your problem with the $20mil double is that along the way a few fans of AOWR have hurt your feelings

well thats just weak

You're just delusional, that's pretty apparent.

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 15:33
bruton is clearly part of the nascar community.....if you disagree not sure what to tell ya

Im suggesting useing said funds that decimated AOWR is hardly riding coattails.....from where I sit you would ride coattails to improve things, not make them worse......clearly your opinion differs

I'm in no way suggesting RPM didnt cover AOWR......just the opposite......just cant even fathom how you might think a show produced and aired on a network that aired AOWR called RPMtonite, not nascartonite constitutes riding on nascar coattails......thats just silly

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 16:13
I'm in no way suggesting RPM didnt cover AOWR......

And you call me stupid.

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 17:05
And you call me stupid.

clearly

what part of ESPN was televising AOWR at the time.... and the show was called RPMtonite, not Nascartonite.... are you struggeling with

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 17:08
clearly

what part of ESPN was televising AOWR at the time.... and the show was called RPMtonite, not Nascartonite.... are you struggeling with

You conveniently ignored the fact that RPM2night only existed because of it's NASCAR coverage. Shortly after NASCAR no longer allowed them to cover their races, RPM2night ceased to exist.

Sorry if that was too much for you to comprehend.

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 17:12
You conveniently ignored the fact that RPM2night only existed because of it's NASCAR coverage. .

can you support that in any form or fashion

garyshell
21st June 2010, 18:01
The point is that aowr used NASCAR generated funds for operations that it couldn't generate for itself.

No, awor did not use the funds. King George used the funds to bankroll his asinine "vision". There was much more to aowr than that vision at the time.

Gary

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 18:49
can you support that in any form or fashion

About as much as you can support your assertions. Although, (I don't have a link), but on another forum the former host, John Kernan, stated as much.

Plus, funny how the show ended after NASCAR no longer allowed RPM2night into the track at NASCAR races. I'm sure there are those who think it is mere coincidence.

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 19:23
i didnt think so

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 19:30

Can you support this in any form or fashion?

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 19:32
....its also true the good ol boy from the nascar side of the double rushed to leak the story . . . . .

Anything to prove that Bruton Smith is part of NASCAR?

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 19:36
Can you support this in any form or fashion?

nope....just my opinion based on the a few million fans tuning out aowr racing and a few million tuning into nascar....

IMo its clear the tonys vision didnt hurt Nascar

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 19:40
Anything to prove that Bruton Smith is part of NASCAR?

not sure what to tell ya on that one Leeroy....its crystal clear that when discussing the double that ol' bruton sits squarely on the side of the Nasacr community.....

*ya know Leeroy...........there are a dozen posters on this forum that love to rush and tell me when im wrong every chance they get......its interesting not a single one has supported ya on this one......telling

you made a claim.....that your tired of OW riding nascars coattails......you cant support it...so whats your real reason for not wanting this "$20mil doin'the double' to come to fruitaion?

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 20:00
nope....just my opinion based on the a few million fans tuning out aowr racing and a few million tuning into nascar....

Didn't think so.

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 20:01
not sure what to tell ya on that one Leeroy....its crystal clear that when discussing the double that ol' bruton sits squarely on the side of the Nasacr community.....

Any link to a definition of the "NASCAR community", other than what you've made up?

SarahFan
21st June 2010, 20:08
Any link to a definition of the "NASCAR community", other than what you've made up?

nope....just common sense

Lee Roy
21st June 2010, 20:23
nope....

Didn't think so.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd June 2010, 08:50
As usual, you waste a lot of bandwidth typing some fantasy where you don't know what your talking about and don't even worry about if it's true or not. Putting you back on my ignore list since you're a complete waste of time.

And speaking of Europe, I'm leaving in a couple of weeks for my second trip this year.

Good bye.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Never seen a guy so miserable about Indycar racing post so much about it, while pretending to say he doesn't care.

Putting you on ignore would work, but then I would have to see what everyone else was writing about you, and rather than speculate, I might actually find you right once in a while.

garyshell
22nd June 2010, 16:08
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Never seen a guy so miserable about Indycar racing post so much about it, while pretending to say he doesn't care.

Putting you on ignore would work, but then I would have to see what everyone else was writing about you, and rather than speculate, I might actually find you right once in a while.

Quoted just so Lee Roy has a chance to see it.

Gary

SarahFan
22nd June 2010, 17:25
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=bruton+smith&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

^the above is the result when you punch "bruton smith'

every single article/page/outlet/etc references nascar....

how someone can suggest he isnt part of the nascar community is beyond me

garyshell
22nd June 2010, 17:44
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=bruton+smith&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

^the above is the result when you punch "bruton smith'

every single article/page/outlet/etc references nascar....

how someone can suggest he isnt part of the nascar community is beyond me

You "ain't" wrong.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
22nd June 2010, 22:16
Well you know how it goes...when the facts don't match the argument presented, just ignore them right Sarahfan? ...

To say Bruton Smith isn't part of the greater NASCAR family is like saying Richard Petty is no longer part of the NASCAR family...

I can tell you this much, Bruton has more skin in the game of NASCAR's success than any of the team owners or drivers....so how that isn't relevent is a mystery to me.

Redstorm
23rd June 2010, 08:22
Oh come on guys, keep it up! Im enjoying watching this soap opera!!! :bounce:

Go Sarah and Mark! :ninja:

SarahFan
3rd July 2010, 14:37
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100702/SPORTS0107/7020333/Earlier-Indy-500-start-likely-will-that-draw-NASCAR-drivers

according to the the star its bruton who proposed the double

00steven
4th July 2010, 15:06

Quoted so he can see it a 3rd time.

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2010, 05:34
Quoted so he can see it a 3rd time.

I am sure he saw it the other 3 times. Lee Roy hasn't put me on ignore I suspect. If he does, oh well. I am not losing sleep over it. I have tried to get along with the guy in the past, but when he comes to the Indy Car board to dump cold water over everyone, he deserves a kick. Haters just serve no real purpose. The guy HATES the IRL but he insists on commenting on it. Just go away is my thought to him on this....