PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite WRC driver?

blissard
16th June 2010, 16:18
Must fill the WRC summer break with something, and this has possibly been done before, but here goes:

What's your favourite driver currently in the WRC?

Thought I'd make a poll on this, but seems only mods can do that?

My list of suspects:
Sébastien Loeb
Sébastien Ogier
Mikko Hirvonen
Jari-Matti Latvala
Petter Solberg
Dani Sordo
Matthew Wilson
Federico Villagra
Henning Solberg
Kimi Räikkönen
Mads Østberg
Dennis Kuipers
Khalid Al Qassimi
Ken Block
Other?

Ghostwalker
16th June 2010, 19:04
Sebastien Loeb and the Swedes of course.

pettersolberg29
16th June 2010, 19:17
Guess from my name and sig ;)

I also like Ogier - seems a really nice guy. The only drivers I don't like as much are the Ford boys, JML and Mikko, and Kimi.

gravelman
16th June 2010, 21:05
Latvala, PG, Sandell, P Solberg

jonas_mcrae
16th June 2010, 21:26
Wilson of course!

maxter
16th June 2010, 22:00
I find it very hard to dislike any of the gentlemen in WRC, most of them seem like decent guys with laidback attitudes, no diva nonsense or other crap.
However I can't deny that I'm something of a P Solberg fan. His passion is just unmatched and it's always a joy to see him, in and outside the stages.

Macd
16th June 2010, 22:19
Couldn't care less. Barring Loeb and maybe Petter Solberg there are no REAL drivers left in this sport....

xavier
17th June 2010, 02:09
Loeb for overall supremacy
Solberg for his enthusiasm and indeed good pace
Ogier because he will be 2011 world champion
JML for his tremendous potential pace even though I doubt he'll ever have the consistency to be WC

harsha
17th June 2010, 07:34
being a f1 fan first and a Kimi fan to boot...

Kimi and Seb Loeb

WRCfan
17th June 2010, 09:15
Ari Vatanen!!!!!!!!!!!

oops just read the current part....

In that case it sucks because it's either Carlos Sainz or Ari Vatanen for me...

Iskald
17th June 2010, 09:43
Great thread for 14 year old forumers ;)

Gard
17th June 2010, 11:45

don't be such a killjoy, Henning

Wim_Impreza
17th June 2010, 12:03
In the past it were Juha Kankkunen, Tommi Mäkinen and Bruno Thiry for me.

At the moment, there isn't a favourite driver for me. In SWRC I support Martin Prokop and in JWRC Thierry Neuville.

MrJan
17th June 2010, 13:12
I was a big fan of KKK and Colin McRae when I was a yoof. Big fan of Seb, Seb Mk2 and Petter these days.

Looking at videos from before my time then Ari obviously has a style that a lot of fans appreciate.

blissard
17th June 2010, 20:09

Pfff, just thought it might be somewhat interesting to get some stats on who people are cheering for.

But I see people don't read the post, and picks SWRC drivers, retired drivers etc.. difficult without a poll, oh well.

MrJan
17th June 2010, 20:42
Pfff, just thought it might be somewhat interesting to get some stats on who people are cheering for.

But I see people don't read the post, and picks SWRC drivers, retired drivers etc.. difficult without a poll, oh well.

The main WRC really isn't that exciting for drivers at the minute, that's why people have picked other drivers. When you look at the late 90s/early 00s we had Tommi, Colin, Carlos, Marcus, Richard, Auriol and others. Also Petter, Markko and Loeb were all young drivers worth taking note of. IMO only the 2 Sebs and possibly Hirvonen can be mentioned in the same sentence as that lot and Petter with his own team isn't the driver that he once was.

blissard
17th June 2010, 21:29
Petter with his own team isn't the driver that he once was.

I wouldn't say that. His recent pace has been very impressing. If he stays out of trouble, he might claim a win before this season is over.

So yeah, I'm cheering for Petter, and then for all but Loeb and Sordo, too boring.

MrJan
17th June 2010, 21:39
He might claim a win if he stays out of trouble? How is that being as good as he used to be? In 2003 he managed to beat the most succesful driver ever in one of the best cars that the WRC has ever seen. This year he 'might claim a win' and even that is probably because Loeb and Ogier fail to finish or have problems and Sordo doesn't get a clean run, oh and the Fords aren't strong that weekend.

Petter is still a great driver but I really don't think that he compares to how good he was a few years ago.

pino
17th June 2010, 22:35

poll added ;)

Josti
17th June 2010, 22:44
Characteristically, I like Petter the most. But apart from him, current WRC lacks characteristic drivers.

Juha Kankkunen is an all-time favourite.

MrJan
17th June 2010, 23:42
This difficult for me. I think that Petter is a great energy to have in the series but equally I am astounded by how good a driver Loeb is. On balance though I think that my vote has to go with Petter.

Barreis
18th June 2010, 00:03
Rollin' Colin.. :)

18th June 2010, 11:33
Gronholm, by far

koko0703
18th June 2010, 17:04
Being a Subaru fan and having followed him since his early days in WRC, I like Petter. Atkinson would be another choice but his name isn't in the list :(

sollitt
19th June 2010, 05:08
Markku Alen.

tmx
19th June 2010, 07:08
A more complete list to choose from: http://gamma.nic.fi/~globe/rally/paradise/stat/drentry.htm

Matthew Wilson is my favorite driver.

Langdale Forest
19th June 2010, 10:02

:rolleyes:

JFL
19th June 2010, 13:10
A more complete list to choose from: http://gamma.nic.fi/~globe/rally/paradise/stat/drentry.htm

Matthew is'nt on the list you published? Why?

pino
19th June 2010, 13:41
Matthew is'nt on the list you published? Why?

Many are missing on that list not only Matthew ;)

JFL
19th June 2010, 13:44
Many are missing on that list not only Matthew ;)
I know, but I just pointed out him since he is probably a future champion in the next 5 years or so.. and that he is TMX favourite driver.. ;)

Ucci
19th June 2010, 15:41
Loeb, no doubt about that!
Ten years ago Sainz-El Matador!!!

Francis44
19th June 2010, 15:48
Loeb for me

And my favourite country man is Miguel Campos.

Woodeye
19th June 2010, 19:15
THE Seb is the best but who's my favourite?

I always followed all the Finns, KKK, Tommi, Vatanen, Alen, Salonen. Bosse and the rest. Colin, Sainz, Auriol, Petter were the ones from outside Finland that I enjoyed to watch. If I'd had to pick one, it would be Colin, because of the attitude.

The yougsters nowdays are boring. Driving machines with hard pressures. There's no real character amongst them at all.

19th June 2010, 19:18
THE Seb is the best but who's my favourite?

I always followed all the Finns, KKK, Tommi, Vatanen, Alen, Salonen. Bosse and the rest. Colin, Sainz, Auriol, Petter were the ones from outside Finland that I enjoyed to watch. If I'd had to pick one, it would be Colin, because of the attitude.

The yougsters nowdays are boring. Driving machines with hard pressures. There's no real character amongst them at all.

Absolutely true. No charisma and character. all formated robots to drive and keep their mouth shut. I really miss the reeal drivers with character

Woodeye
19th June 2010, 20:14
Absolutely true. No charisma and character. all formated robots to drive and keep their mouth shut. I really miss the reeal drivers with character

I would change all current drivers to one a bit too fat, Marlboro smoking, drunk from time to time, having a girlfriend in every single continet but fast with great attitude when driving type of fellow.

MJW
19th June 2010, 21:37
I would change all current drivers to one a bit too fat, Marlboro smoking, drunk from time to time, having a girlfriend in every single continet but fast with great attitude when driving type of fellow.
Timo Salonen?

jens
19th June 2010, 22:36
Shame that neither Atkinson nor Andersson are competing in WRC at the moment, so my vote went - surprisingly even to myself - to Petter.

sollitt
20th June 2010, 00:18
Timo Salonen?

Or Mikkola?

JFL
20th June 2010, 02:37
Stop wining about the has beens.. ;) This is a list of drivers of today...

Barreis
20th June 2010, 11:07
Bad list..

blissard
20th June 2010, 15:04
Bad list..

Make a poll with all the oldschool drivers if you want.

As JFL says, these are the drivers of the 2010 WRC.

Barreis
20th June 2010, 15:08
Only Rollin' Colin for me.. No need for new poll but pool or sea would be good.. :)

Salist
20th June 2010, 16:56
Juha Kankkunen and Marcus Grönholm

N.O.T
24th June 2010, 03:59
CURRENT

adjective
belonging to the PRESENT TIME; happening or being used or done NOW : keep abreast of current events | I started my current job last year.

J.Lindstroem
24th June 2010, 07:30
Ill go for, PG Andersson. Especially now in Bulgaria!

Patrick
24th June 2010, 21:35
Ogier. Nice bloke and star of the future.

blissard
24th June 2010, 23:55
CURRENT

adjective
belonging to the PRESENT TIME; happening or being used or done NOW : keep abreast of current events | I started my current job last year.

NOT gets it! I put the "Other" option in there, in case I left someone out. It's not for the old dogs, like Kankkunen and McRae. Just the ones CURRENTLY in the WRC.

pettersolberg29
25th June 2010, 15:13
Interesting to see nobody's favourite is Sordo - the only 'top' driver to get no votes. Surprised Henning isn't more popular too.

JFL
25th June 2010, 15:23
Wilson's, Villagra, Al Quassimi and the Kuipers votes must be a joke.. ;)

Tomi
25th June 2010, 17:48
Interesting to see nobody's favourite is Sordo - the only 'top' driver to get no votes.

Can be that here on forum is very few Spanish children.

Whinlatter
29th June 2010, 08:43
Well, I voted for Mikko cos he seems a nice guy, quiet and reserved and obviously not the most confident compared to Loeb, Petter etc. - but he still manages to put in some fantastic performances despite this. I'd have voted Meeke if he was in the WRC though.....

When I started watching it was Roger Clark, then I've progressed through Blomqvist, Vatanen, Malcolm Wilson (my local hero), Tony Pond, Toivonen, Colin, Burnsie, Gigi....

Mintexmemory
30th June 2010, 15:39
JML - with a car that is the equal of the opposition he'll shine, he can win as often as Mikko in the Focus ;)

First rally hero - Quick Vic, then Tony Pond, Pentti, Hannu and Ari.
Recently Marcus (3 gears enough)

Blazquez
6th July 2010, 08:50
My favorite rally driver is Kevin Abbring! =D remember his name! he will be the new LOEB!!!

lcd
6th July 2010, 09:08
Always been a follower of Peter Solberg!
Doesn't seem to care much about results, and that's very good for the sport! ;)
He certainly Is the continuer of McRae and Burns, at least regarding passionate driving.

morganmilan
23rd July 2010, 17:11
Can be that here on forum is very few Spanish children.
So, all of it is just a nationality subject?

N.O.T
23rd July 2010, 17:14
and age

Tomi
24th July 2010, 14:21

Not sure but it might effect, who was your favorite again?

morganmilan
24th July 2010, 19:10
Not sure but it might effect, who was your favorite again?
:D Not necessary! No german drivers on the list and "other" isn´t cool! ;)

WRCfan
25th July 2010, 03:31
NOT gets it! I put the "Other" option in there, in case I left someone out. It's not for the old dogs, like Kankkunen and McRae. Just the ones CURRENTLY in the WRC.

But Kankkunen is in the WRC. In exactly 5 days time....Need to adjust that poll me thinks ;)

RS
25th July 2010, 09:11

Blind patriotism would be nothing new on this forum...

morganmilan
25th July 2010, 09:56
Blind patriotism would be nothing new on this forum...
Yeah, sadly...

Tomi
26th July 2010, 17:06
Yeah, sadly...

Dont you think its normal in sports that you root on your own, and if you dont have capable drivers then someone else.

N.O.T
26th July 2010, 21:31
Dont you think its normal in sports that you root on your own

why ?

Tomi
26th July 2010, 21:40
why ?

psychological thing.

Fide
30th July 2010, 11:03
He might claim a win if he stays out of trouble? How is that being as good as he used to be? In 2003 he managed to beat the most succesful driver ever in one of the best cars that the WRC has ever seen. This year he 'might claim a win' and even that is probably because Loeb and Ogier fail to finish or have problems and Sordo doesn't get a clean run, oh and the Fords aren't strong that weekend.

Petter is still a great driver but I really don't think that he compares to how good he was a few years ago.

Petter is enyoying this car, new co-driver is excellent (Phill also) and we left years of frustration driving for Subaru. I think the experience he has by far compensates every 1/1000 he lost by his age. And again I already posted : RECALL Sainz retired at 41s and Petter is 46.

NO DOUBT FOR A LARGE NUMBER OF REASONS PETTER IS MY FAVORITE.

Iskald
12th August 2010, 10:33
Petter is enyoying this car, new co-driver is excellent (Phill also) and we left years of frustration driving for Subaru. I think the experience he has by far compensates every 1/1000 he lost by his age. And again I already posted : RECALL Sainz retired at 41s and Petter is 46.

NO DOUBT FOR A LARGE NUMBER OF REASONS PETTER IS MY FAVORITE.

Petter 46?! He is 35, turning 36 in a few months, if I`m not totally crap in mathematics. Born 18. nov. 1974.