PDA

View Full Version : who would have thought Button would be this comfortable in a Mclaren

harsha
14th June 2010, 06:44
not me...I was one who thought that Button in a Mclaren wouldn't work out well for him as it wouldn't suit his driving style...but he's def proved me wrong...kudos to him

F1boat
14th June 2010, 07:11
Yes, he is doing great. Maybe he will lose to Lewis, but he will lose with dignity.

Tazio
14th June 2010, 07:28
Bunson has a lot of experience! He's almost always been good at extracting the most out of his car. I pretty much think he is doing well on merit, with a fantastic car. I went on record as saying he would be closer to "The Boss" than most would expect!

CNR
14th June 2010, 07:42
he is doing good but will he be allowed to take wins off lewis ?

Tazio
14th June 2010, 07:49
he is doing good but will he be allowed to take wins off lewis ?He can if he can out-qualify him! All things considered "The Boss" is more talented IMO!

SGWilko
14th June 2010, 09:15
he is doing good but will he be allowed to take wins off lewis ?

He has already hasn't he?

ArrowsFA1
14th June 2010, 09:24
I thought when the deal was announced that it was a brave move by JB, and that Hamilton would get the better of him.

I still think it was a brave move, but Button seems to have settled right in at McLaren and is proving to be one half of a very strong partnership.

jens
14th June 2010, 11:19
Button has been having a likable season. Even if he has been losing to Lewis, he has been close in terms of pace. This means that he also still has title outlooks if he manages to capitalize on Hamilton's setbacks and avoid failures on his own.

To be honest, after seeing, how Button was struggling in qualifying on Saturday (he barely made it into Q3), I didn't expect him to deliver such result from the weekend. Nice work in terms of damage limitation even in difficult circumstances!

Retro Formula 1
14th June 2010, 11:34
Button has been having a likable season. Even if he has been losing to Lewis, he has been close in terms of pace. This means that he also still has title outlooks if he manages to capitalize on Hamilton's setbacks and avoid failures on his own.

To be honest, after seeing, how Button was struggling in qualifying on Saturday (he barely made it into Q3), I didn't expect him to deliver such result from the weekend. Nice work in terms of damage limitation even in difficult circumstances!

I don't think he has been losing really. They are leading 1 and 2 with a couple of points between them and had it not been for leaving a air inlet in place, Button would likely be leading the WDC again. I wonder how the points will pan out at the end of the season and pray Lewis doesn't take it by a couple of points because of a silly team error.

Having said that, I expected lewis to be a bit more ahead and am really happy to see they are on a similar plane (although Lewis is slightly the better racer IMHO).

What is becoming apparent is that rather than other teams dragging out the corporate line about how well their drivers get on together, Lewis and Jenson do work well and enjoy racing together. By working as a team, McLaren have dragged the car up to be a title contender.

UltimateDanGTR
14th June 2010, 11:44
the lewis and jenson partnership is working a treat. two really strong drivers pushing each other hard. Lewis has the outright pace edge, but jenson has kept him honest and has already made some better calls in strategy earlier this season.

I see no sourness like the lewis vs alonso relationship in 07. well done all there

jens
14th June 2010, 12:04
I also like the Lewis-Jenson working partnership and even the alleged Turkish GP team orders mess hasn't done much harm to it seemingly. Which makes me think that in 2007 Alonso was the main problem in creating an unpleasant athmosphere.

AndyL
14th June 2010, 12:06
It'll be a good fight between them to the end of the championship, if the pattern we've seen so far carries on... when everything is going to plan Lewis pulls out a few points on Jenson each time, but on the odd occasion when things get mixed up, Jenson makes a bigger gain back.

Zico
14th June 2010, 12:19
the lewis and jenson partnership is working a treat. two really strong drivers pushing each other hard. Lewis has the outright pace edge, but jenson has kept him honest and has already made some better calls in strategy earlier this season.

I see no sourness like the lewis vs alonso relationship in 07. well done all there

Jenson has done very well indeed and the pairing looks to be probably thee best in all the required criterias you'd look for in a driver line up. Lewis the outright pace, better qualifier and Jenson the strategic thinker/smoother driver and together proving to be a great combination so far for the team.

I knew Lewis would outpace him overall and wondered how Jenson would deal with it... he has answered that with his maturity and his down to earth, level headedness and thats made me really warm to him not only as a driver but as a person too, a very likeable character.

Mark
14th June 2010, 12:21
I get the impression that McLaren are very happy with their choice of drivers for this season! It does seem that Hamilton and Button are getting along well too.

nigelred5
14th June 2010, 12:39
I've never been a huge fan of JB but he was obviously hampered by a crap car for most of his career. I think last season's result may have relaxed Button a little. He's broken through the 2nd win barrier, won his championship, now he can concentrate of simply getting the most out of his machine and if he wins, so be it. I think he;s driving the McLaren very well and is seems so much smoother on track than Hamilton. Not to say he's lazy'd up by any means, but I think a great bit of the pressure to produce is off metally. He knows he can do it now. He certainly looks more relaxed and enjoying himself more than in the BAR/Honda days when he was trying to live up to all the hype that had always been heaped upon him.

Retro Formula 1
14th June 2010, 13:25
I think Jenson is rewriting his rule book. He was hailed as a prodigy when he burst on the scenes in a very difficult era. Then he had a difficult few years of contracts, partying and Richards that he was in danger of disappearing up his own asshole but he turned it around and worked diligently with Honda and was rewarded with a WDC in the Brawn. He thoroughly deserved that title and it seems to have given him a maturity and confidence to achieve the best he can. He also seems to have a bit more aggression and pace about him. He has pulled some great passes last year and this.

Lewis too seems to have gained from Jenson and is tempering his aggression to maximise his tyres and car.

All in all, the 2 drivers are in my opinion the best pairing out there and have got just about everything they could have out of the car which at best was the 3rd fastest at the beginning of the year and if the McLaren remains competitive, I can't see anyone beating them. It remains to be seen which driver lifts the title but I suspect it will be Lewis. If Jenson does, there is going to be a lot of red faces after the universal assumption Lewis would blow him away, particularly in the first half of the season.

wedge
14th June 2010, 13:29
I'll admit he's been closer to Lewis than I expected on race day. Hate to say it but the smooth style works for him.

Mark
14th June 2010, 13:40
Up to a point both drivers are free in so much that they are both World Champions, they don't have to prove they are good drivers, we all know they are already!

HoldenCaulfield
14th June 2010, 14:16
Never been a fan of Button, and last year didn’t change that as I thought there were about 10 other guys who could have done the same thing in that car. Like many I thought he would get annihilated by Hamilton this year but the way he has carried himself inside and outside the car is genuinely impressive, a cool, calm strategic Yin to Hamilton’s balls out banzai charge Yang.
Also I don’t think they will clash, their close call in Turkey and seeing the Red Bull fallout will have scared them straight and hopefully discouraged the McLaren pit wall from “Manipulating” track position in the future.

Mia 01
14th June 2010, 14:30
I thought that Jenson would beat Lewis from day one, he is fast and clever.

truefan72
14th June 2010, 17:13

I too like the partnership it is a far cry from the 2 years of kovy not being able to do anything or keep Hamilton honest. 2 good drivers are better than one. If Lewis has an off day Button is there. If Button is not on his game Hamilton is there. It ensures that Mclarens will always be in the picture and you can count on them to provide results. Back in 2008 with a superior car, kovy did nothing all year and could not get much needed points for the team and a buffer for the WCC. In this year by both running at the top, you get them buffering each other while both staying in contention and taking away points from their closest rivals.

rohanweb
14th June 2010, 20:55

In your dreams..
bye bye good night darling.

rohanweb
14th June 2010, 20:58
not me...I was one who thought that Button in a Mclaren wouldn't work out well for him as it wouldn't suit his driving style...but he's def proved me wrong...kudos to him

If Alonso could work the mclaren to a very good level in his 1st year then then 'donkey years in F1- the tyre hugger and the oppurtunist calld Bunsen MBE lol' shouldnt take that long to do reasonably well.

however Bunsen soon or later is going to realise he is no match for Lewis o outright pace (thats all about formula one and not tyre hugging) then sadly going to end up rear gunner for Lewis Hamilton.

rohanweb
14th June 2010, 21:01
I too like the partnership it is a far cry from the 2 years of kovy not being able to do anything or keep Hamilton honest. 2 good drivers are better than one. If Lewis has an off day Button is there. If Button is not on his game Hamilton is there. It ensures that Mclarens will always be in the picture and you can count on them to provide results. Back in 2008 with a superior car, kovy did nothing all year and could not get much needed points for the team and a buffer for the WCC. In this year by both running at the top, you get them buffering each other while both staying in contention and taking away points from their closest rivals.

Salute truefAN..you are spot on !!!
its sad Massa increasingly look like a midfielder to front runner Alonso.. and he gets contract extention LoL.. something very wrong with stefano dolmio and his boss luca de marshmallows it seems btw

UltimateDanGTR
14th June 2010, 21:06
the comfort that button seems to be enjoying in mclaren seems every bit as good for hamilton as well.

life in team mclaren seems rather good in these times.

F1boat
14th June 2010, 22:05
I also like the Lewis-Jenson working partnership and even the alleged Turkish GP team orders mess hasn't done much harm to it seemingly. Which makes me think that in 2007 Alonso was the main problem in creating an unpleasant athmosphere.

IMO it was Ron. Now Martin seems to be a great boss. Also, they are now English team... and maybe they are thinking a lot the team, I don't know. Whatever the reason, they are excellent duo.

Roamy
14th June 2010, 23:59

Hamilton has the big balls !!!

Saint Devote
15th June 2010, 02:35

Neither driver helped the situation, but the main protagonist by FAR was Ron Dennis.

It is the CEO that sets the atmosphere. Had Ron Dennis still been principle I think that Jenson would have remained at Brawn-Illmor.

Martin Whitmarsh has completely changed the Mclaren team for the better and kudos for him on signing Jenson as his first as team principle.

Bruce Mclaren would love the team these days I venture.

Saint Devote
15th June 2010, 02:42
IMO it was Ron. Now Martin seems to be a great boss. Also, they are now English team... and maybe they are thinking a lot the team, I don't know. Whatever the reason, they are excellent duo.

I disagree that it is because of both drivers being English - Gazza is English too! :eek:

Its because of their temperaments. Both drivers are phlegmatic and both are recent world champions and neither is dominating.

Whitmarsh said that he paired them up because their strengths are different and compliment the other.

harsha
15th June 2010, 05:24
however Bunsen soon or later is going to realise he is no match for Lewis o outright pace (thats all about formula one and not tyre hugging) then sadly going to end up rear gunner for Lewis Hamilton.

dunno where you come from but this season , more than ever is quite a bit about managing your tyres especially tyres when you are starting on a full tank...

rohanweb
15th June 2010, 16:45
dunno where you come from but this season , more than ever is quite a bit about managing your tyres especially tyres when you are starting on a full tank...

agreed.
however looking both Lewis's and Jenson's car tyres after the race all looked pretty much similar, suggests Lewis has slagged off comments from people who claims he is a tyre wrecker and all that.. note Lewis been the fastest out there on sunday,

rohanweb
15th June 2010, 16:45
Hamilton has the big balls !!!

too big balls means a lot in the tank :-)

rohanweb
15th June 2010, 16:51

No I dont think he had any issues with his driving style, atleast its fair to say where Lewis will fight hard with likes of alonso,vettel...(there is always risks
involved) but to have a laidback kind of driver Jenson can win on the bad days of Lewis. its good for the team

ofcourse Alonso like guys wont fit in with team mates like Lewis

Jenson has much better attitude than the spaniard Alonso.
its simple fact, if team mate finishes ahead or win, then see Alonso's face, he would never even look in the eyes or say a congratulations.

look Jenson was saying to send his congrats to Lewis over the radio..
i take my hats off to Jenson Button for that, He is a cool buddy to Lewis
and Alonso is all about me me me & me.. nevertheless of his talent it shows where ever he is.

donKey jote
15th June 2010, 18:27
"spaniard" Alonso :dozey:
Yep precisely that attitude against him was the main problem. :rolleyes:

Tazio
15th June 2010, 18:52
look Jenson was saying to send his congrats to Lewis over the radio..
i take my hats off to Jenson Button for that, He is a cool buddy to Lewis
and Alonso is all about me me me & me.. nevertheless of his talent it shows where ever he is.
If you removed your silver tinted glasses, you would realize that Red Bull is the only team that has showed "Drama/friction" between drivers. Fred has complimented Massa profusely this year and been a great team player. As for Busen bring laid back. "The Boss" has laid him back, and last season he was not so laid back when Red Bull made their push (although he didn't panic). I rate him very high! He’s one of the good guys, and I admire him.
He has an MBE, but let's not canonize him!
BTW your redundant (inarticulate) drivel is getting nauseating! :down:

SGWilko
15th June 2010, 20:57

Shoot, is he from Mars or sommat then?

donKey jote
15th June 2010, 21:27
Shoot, is he from Mars or sommat then?
Has where he´s from got anything to do with it?
Why mention it then?

SGWilko
15th June 2010, 22:40
Has where he´s from got anything to do with it?
Why mention it then?

You suggested it was the issue, but by your latter response, it appears you now don't believe so.

EDIT: Spaniards, unless I am mistaken, are generally from Spain.

Tazio
16th June 2010, 02:45
You suggested it was the issue, but by your latter response, it appears you now don't believe so.

EDIT: Spaniards, unless I am mistaken, are generally from Spain.

Rowhany's seeing fit to make the distinction was déclassé, which is actually representative of his mentality.
Being that I have a perpensity to use (and create) nicknames,
I believe I've come up with a good one for him........ "Wadesworth" :dozey: :s mokin:

Bagwan
16th June 2010, 03:03

I get it , donKey .
It didn't fly over everyone's heads .