PDA

View Full Version : The human side of Formula 1. RIP Chris Mays

race_director
13th June 2010, 04:31
Chris Mays died last week. His name probably doesn’t mean much to you, but he was in the pit crew at Williams and more recently Honda. He had an accident a few years ago on a motorbike in Thailand and was in a vegetative state ever since.

But the story of how the F1 community rallied round for him and his family at the time of his accident is a good example of the human side of the sport.

The drivers were very generous; most of them donated a signed item of memorabilia to raise funds. Michael Schumacher gave a set of signed Ferrari overalls which raised £21,000, many gave helmets, race boots and overalls and in total the drivers gear raised £70,000.

Jackie Stewart’s Grand Prix Mechanics Trust, of which I am a trustee, helped to repatriate him and set him up in care, a total spend of around £40,000.

The money gave him a high quality of care and will provide for his children for the future.

Chris’ funeral will take place on Wednesday.

RIP Chris Mays

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/06/the-human-side-of-formula-1/

race_director
13th June 2010, 16:38
i feel guilty and ashamed to post this topic, There has been 115 views and no replies. are the members of this forum so self centric .

Any way for me Chris Mays has been part of the f1 family .

RIP Chris Mays .

we will miss you and we thank you for everything.

I feel like, losing a family member

SGWilko
13th June 2010, 16:40
i feel guilty and ashamed to post this topic, There has been 115 views and no replies. are the members of this forum so self centric .

Any way for me Chris Mays has been part of the f1 family .

RIP Chris Mays .

we will miss you and we thank you for everything.

I feel like, losing a family member

Eh?

harsha
14th June 2010, 06:30
:confused:

anyway RIP

wedge
15th June 2010, 16:41
Mechanics are more or less unsung heroes.

Unfortunately because of the nature of their work they have no union and are tossed out like trash when they're not needed so thank heavens for the Grand Prix Mechanics Trust which support current and ex-mechanics.

Recently a McLaren mechanic was also involved in an RTA. He was an active member of the Lotus Owners Club who rallied round in support at his funeral. I have heard that the GPMT have been involved in supporting the family.

gravelman
16th June 2010, 00:01
Nice sentiments

Tazio
16th June 2010, 01:19
Rest in Peace Chris Mays
He was pobably about the same as my son.
I can really relate to this!
And I don't know which one is worse off!

ArrowsFA1
16th June 2010, 09:05
Unfortunately because of the nature of their work they have no union and are tossed out like trash when they're not needed so thank heavens for the Grand Prix Mechanics Trust which support current and ex-mechanics.
:up: http://www.gpmechanicstrust.com/

RIP Chris Mays