PDA

View Full Version : What's gone wrong at Ducati?

colin edwards
12th June 2010, 09:33
This year has been a disaster for them so far in both MotoGP and World Superbikes. I understand that Davide Tardozzi left the World Superbike team and the bike may be at the end of its development cycle, but I don't know why they are underachieving in MotoGP as well.

Corny
12th June 2010, 13:00
Maybe they are trying to make a friendly bike for a Spaniard that could step on it next year..

TheFamousEccles
13th June 2010, 04:13
Maybe they are trying to make a friendly bike for a Spaniard that could step on it next year..

You're not far from the truth, I recon. They've dumbed down the bike to make it easier for more than one highly talented rider to deal with - once said highly talented rider leaves for Honda in 2011 there will be no-one able to ride at the pointy end on the Duc as it was.

As for a suitable Spaniard, surely it would be Alonzo? But he would be mad to make the change - I doubt he would be able to drag the disparate egos in the Ducati camp in the same direction at the same time. It seems that Stoner has hit the Italian brick wall as far as the team is concerned.

I worry for the Ducati team. I am a fan, I ride a Ducati and was elated when Stoner got on it and wrung it's neck - that Bayliss and Capirossi (both undoubted quality riders, no question) were inconsistent at best was most distressing for me :( , but now it seems the team has lost it's way.

Here's hoping I have to eat my words :D

NinjaMaster
14th June 2010, 14:37
You're not far from the truth, I recon. They've dumbed down the bike to make it easier for more than one highly talented rider to deal with - once said highly talented rider leaves for Honda in 2011 there will be no-one able to ride at the pointy end on the Duc as it was.

I worry for the Ducati team. I am a fan, I ride a Ducati and was elated when Stoner got on it and wrung it's neck - that Bayliss and Capirossi (both undoubted quality riders, no question) were inconsistent at best was most distressing for me :( , but now it seems the team has lost it's way.

Here's hoping I have to eat my words :D

Not sure that dumbed down is quite the phrase I would use but the engine has certainly been redesigned to be more universally user friendly. This, to me, seems to have upset the balance of the bike. Stoner mentioned that the frame is still the same from last year so it would appear that the 2010 front end (forks) is unable to cope with the extra grip they are getting from the new big bang engine. Somehow they need to rediscover that balance if they want to get anywhere near Yamaha and Honda to challenge for wins again.

As for a suitable Spaniard, surely it would be Alonzo? But he would be mad to make the change - I doubt he would be able to drag the disparate egos in the Ducati camp in the same direction at the same time. It seems that Stoner has hit the Italian brick wall as far as the team is concerned.

Is this Fernando Alonso making good on his claim that he could finish top 5 or even podium with a bit of practice? :p

I think for the World Superbike team, the loss of Tardozzi cannot be overstated. I think Fabrizio was at his best because of Davide and has lost his way a bit this year without Tardozzi's guidance and I also think that Haga has lost his edge to risk all to win. In WSB, if a rider is only a few percent off their game, it's the difference between the pointy end and mid-pack also-ran.

TheFamousEccles
15th June 2010, 10:47
Ooopppss. :dork:

Errm, yair - Fred Alonzo has had a guts full of the prancing horse, and is a dead set shoe-in for the Stoner seat with a few days to get used to the shift pattern :rolleyes:

How embarassment....