PDA

View Full Version : GM proposes to end 'Chevy' nickname

slorydn1
10th June 2010, 23:40
On Tuesday, General Motors sent a memo to Chevrolet employees at its headquarters, promoting the importance of "consistency" for the brand, which was the nation's best-selling line of cars and trucks for more than half a century after World War II. And one way to present a consistent brand message, the memo suggested, is to stop saying, "Chevy," though the word is one of the world's best-known, longest-lived product nicknames. If taken to its logical conclusion, Chevrolet would presumably need to ask Jeff Gordon, the four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion who currently races a Chevrolet Impala, to change the website address -- jeffgordonchevy.com -- for his dealership in Wilmington, N.C. And what about rolling back the popular culture references to Chevy? Elton John, Bob Seger, Motley Crue and the Beastie Boys have all sung about Chevy, and hip-hop artists rap about "Chevy Ridin' High" or "Ridin' in My Chevy." Worthington, the branding expert, said Chevrolet seemed unclear what the brand stood for. But ultimately, he said, consumers "will call you whatever they want to call you." But not Chevrolet staff members. A postscript to the memo says a sort of cuss jar -- a plastic "Chevy" can -- has been situated in the hallway.(Detroit News)(6-10-2010)

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news-gm

Have they lost their MINDS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hey GM, why don't you start worrying about building decent cars people will buy and not about stupid stuff like this?
Chevy IS your brandname-everyone in America who speaks ENGLISH knows you by that name and associate that name with your Bowtie logo- Besides, it's alot easier to say than Chevrolet.

NaBUru38
11th June 2010, 00:31
Well said. That nickname isn't used in uruguay or Argentina, but I defend your right to use it.

00steven
11th June 2010, 00:54
It's going to be impossible. People say chevy more than Chevrolet, simple as that.

harvick#1
11th June 2010, 01:28
is this part of the marketing department that received bailout money???? what a stupid thing, stick to making your cars better Chevy, not worrying about your nickname

muggle not
11th June 2010, 02:40
I don't care what "they" call it. At my age it is Chevy and will always remain so.

Sparky1329
11th June 2010, 03:30
My dad always bought Chevys. GM can kiss my butt. :)

Thomer
11th June 2010, 05:02
GM can want them called whatever they want. Life long Ford and Dodge fans will keep on calling them...well...something that kinda rhymes with Chevy. :D