PDA

View Full Version : Apple blows the world away

Roamy
7th June 2010, 20:01
The new iphone4 will leave the rest so far behind it will be amazing. There seems to be no end to how great this company is and will be.

Jag_Warrior
7th June 2010, 20:40
I just caught a few of the details on Bloomberg. It will record HD video? And battery life will be up to 7 hours in 3G talk mode???!!! I can talk for about 45-50 minutes on my (old) cellphone. The new OS also has multi-tasking and allows tethering, if I heard that correctly.

If only Steve had announced opening it up to Verizon (that guy in the audience screaming out "Verizon!", when Jobs couldn't get the NY Times to load was funny!), maybe I'd think about an upgrade (after 8 years of not upgrading). But from what little I've heard about the new, smaller, lighter iPhone 4 (5 megapixel camera!), the new iPod Touch should be exactly what I've been waiting for. The iPod Touch release date is now September? Cool!

Instead of buying me a set of 18" BBS wheels for my car, I'm OK with the board buying me the new iPod Touch for my 10 year anniversary here. You were going to buy me those wheels, weren't ya? Why is everybody laughing?! :confused:

Eki
7th June 2010, 20:58
Coming soon - iRoam

Eki
7th June 2010, 21:01
Coming soon - iRoam
iLl be damned, it's already here!

http://www.iroam.com/

anthonyvop
7th June 2010, 22:08
The new iphone4 will leave the rest so far behind it will be amazing. There seems to be no end to how great this company is and will be.

Just won't work at Library's, Schools and Starbucks.

WWDC keynotes are usually carefully orchestrated affairs. But you might have just read in our live blog how Steve Jobs had to bail on a demo because of network trouble. Awkward.

Apple attempted to do their demo over Wi-Fi, but as you can see couldn't manage to get things up and running due to overload. So Jobs had to ask everyone in the audience, repeatedly, to shut off their Wi-Fi so the show could go on. A bizarre hiccup for a company in its prime, showing off its latest wares.

It's true that with the rise of Wi-Fi/3G hotspots, the Wi-Fi signal in the hall would probably be unusable. Jobs said over 500 hotspots were emanating from the audience. A real issue, though, is that we should be able to do all of these things over 3G. So when an audience member responds to Steve's requests for suggestions with "Verizon," we laugh because it's funny and we laugh because it's true.
http://gizmodo.com/5557458/watch-the-steve-jobs-keynote-meltdown

iLl be damned, it's already here!

http://www.iroam.com/

Still don't see a reason to part with BlackBerry.

Roamy
7th June 2010, 23:17
tony
blackberry is so far in last place they think they are in first.

get with the program

Roamy
7th June 2010, 23:18
Coming soon - iRoam

I appreciate the thought

I have something brewing and will let you know if I ever get it upright

Daniel
7th June 2010, 23:32
This just goes to show how Apple stuff doesn't work as well when they're not completely in control.

anthonyvop
8th June 2010, 01:58
tony
blackberry is so far in last place they think they are in first.

get with the program

Sorry.

I am a businessman. I have no time for toys like......well just about everything Apple makes.

Roamy
8th June 2010, 02:31
There are many macbooks and iphones in the business world.

anthonyvop
8th June 2010, 04:53
There are many macbooks and iphones in the business world.

True. many people like to buy overpriced, overhyped stuff.

Tomi
8th June 2010, 05:01
True. many people like to buy overpriced, overhyped stuff.

You are right, its amazing how advertising and hype fools people.

Roamy
8th June 2010, 05:02
Ah I get it the cheap PC buyer. You get what you pay for and you should know that better than most. Also FYI Apple is building a giant server farm in N Carolina. Look for a new phone service coming and it will be VOIP. Also because or the competition from Google look for much collaboration between Apple and Microsoft. One of my best friends is retired Microsoft and you can just imagine the technical wars we have :) I get the price quote from Costco daily

Rollo
8th June 2010, 05:18
The new iphone4 will leave the rest so far behind it will be amazing.

I have a ZTE phone, an iPod 5G and a Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR.

I don't care how good iPhone 4 is, it will not have 80GB of music space, nor an 18 megapixel camera, and it doesn't do anything in the way of phone calls better than my cheap phone already does.

Plus, iPhone 4 doesn't have a "Stop Teenagers From Playing ****e Music on the Train by Hitting Them With Tazers" App - I really really want that app.

anthonyvop
8th June 2010, 05:50
Ah I get it the cheap PC buyer. You get what you pay for and you should know that better than most.

When I can have built a PC with more capabilities than any Mac at 1/2 the price it ain't cheap. It is smart.

We tried Macs for video editing.....Big mistake.

Roamy
8th June 2010, 06:49
When I can have built a PC with more capabilities than any Mac at 1/2 the price it ain't cheap. It is smart.

We tried Macs for video editing.....Big mistake.

I think the industry is pretty sound on video editing for mac
you may pay half up front but the virus hassle will cost you one and a half times more.

But this fact is there is room for both and I suspect Windows 7 is now a very viable op system for the first time in their history. But you should be happy for a enterprising country where a guy can sell overpriced sh!t and create such a employment empire worldwide - It is a hell of a lot better than buying Nokia.

Daniel
8th June 2010, 07:32
you may pay half up front but the virus hassle will cost you one and a half times more.

You know Fousto, you do talk a load of rubbish.

Back when Macs used the powerpc processors they were far better than PC's. Now that they're using Intel processors there is basically no difference. If you think that virus problems are an issue then you're sorely mistaken. I work in a corporate environment doing desktop support as well as project work and I've not yet had one call for a virus in the few months I've been working in this job.

The thing I will concede is that an Apple PC is generally of better quality than most cheap store built PC's. But one of my homebuilt PC's would wipe the floor with a Mac in terms of quality and speed.

If you buy an Apple PC or phone it basically says this about you "I am incompetent, so I bought an Apple product because I'm too thick to actually go out and buy a decent PC or smartphone so I paid Apple a lot more than I needed to so I could get something that's underspecced, just plain useless or heavily locked down."

http://mytwosenses.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipad-duct-tape.jpg

SOD
8th June 2010, 08:57
will it finally work as a phone?

GridGirl
8th June 2010, 09:13
I will replace my iphone 3G but not until my current contract runs out in August. Hopefully I will get a nice discount with o2 friends and family staff deals. :)

SOD
8th June 2010, 09:30
You know Fousto, you do talk a load of rubbish.

Roamy = fousto??????, how the mighty have fallen.

Dave B
8th June 2010, 09:34
What I despise most about Apple is the walled garden in which you must exist. This works fine for many users - after all, you can't change the software on your car or your Playstation - but on something trumpeted as a proper computing device this "safety scissors" approach is not for me.

I also can't abide the way the media regurgitate Apple press releases as if they've struck gold. The Guardian ran one the other day about how - whoop-di-dooo - you'll soon be able to change the font size of text messages. I could do that on my black & white Nokia a decade ago. Oooh, and soon you'll be able to video call via Skype - just like Android and Symbian users already can. Pur-lease....

Apple make decent products for a general mass-market, there's no doubt about that, but they're generally overpriced and underspecced if you can be bothered to put the slightest effort into researching the alternatives rather than accepting Jobs' Fisher-Price view of how technology should be.

Dave B
8th June 2010, 09:38
Apple attempted to do their demo over Wi-Fi, but as you can see couldn't manage to get things up and running due to overload. So Jobs had to ask everyone in the audience, repeatedly, to shut off their Wi-Fi so the show could go on. A bizarre hiccup for a company in its prime, showing off its latest wares.

I heard, third-hand, of someone who thought it would be cool to take an iPad to work, only to find that the corporate network didn't have wi-fi for security reasons, and that his >£400 toy didn't have an Ethernet port that's been bog-standard on laptops and netbooks for a decade. :laugh:

race aficionado
8th June 2010, 15:24

But this fact is there is room for both and I suspect Windows 7 is now a very viable op system for the first time in their history. But you should be happy for a enterprising country where a guy can sell overpriced sh!t and create such a employment empire worldwide - It is a hell of a lot better than buying Nokia.

I'm a profesional video editor and I have been using Macs from the beginning.
Started my company in NYC 16 years ago and the Macs keep me going strong both in editing (HD and non HD) and in hi end graphics.
No mistake here.
Mac's rock!
:s mokin:

anthonyvop
8th June 2010, 15:39
I'm a profesional video editor and I have been using Macs from the beginning.
Started my company in NYC 16 years ago and the Macs keep me going strong both in editing (HD and non HD) and in hi end graphics.
No mistake here.
Mac's rock!

I own a production company and PC's have been a much better platform than Macs.
We can acquire two PCs that have more capability for the price of one Mac.
When it is time to upgrade it is a piece of cake with a PC. with a Mac toss it out and buy a new one.

Years ago Apple marketed themselves to the Video and graphic industry and sold a ton. Since then many companies have yet to step back and ask why are they still buying Macs. Those that do switch to PC.s

race aficionado
8th June 2010, 17:12
Since then many companies have yet to step back and ask why are they still buying Macs. Those that do switch to PC.s

Again, I have no reason to step back, and why should I when Mac has me stepping forward with it's constant innovations and hard core reliability?

To each its own Anthony - enjoy your PCs and I will enjoy my rockin' Macs.

Jag_Warrior
8th June 2010, 20:10
To each its own Anthony - enjoy your PCs and I will enjoy my rockin' Macs.

That's really what it comes down to. There's room for Macs and PC's just like there's room for Mercedes and Chevrolets. The first computer I bought was a Mac Plus (25 years ago! wow, how time flies). I had to go with PC's when the lack of availibility of business applications forced me to. But my gal-pal and her sister & bro-in-law are Mac people. She runs the new Leopard(?) OS X and also has Windows XP Pro loaded on hers. So she can run any Windows based business or technical software that I have (DecisionCapture, MiniTab, FeatureCAM, TeleChart, MetaStock, etc.) plus she can do fun things with videos and music a lot easier and faster than I can on my systems.

I'm not really a computer person (anymore). I don't mind working on a car, but it annoys me when I have to fix (or have fixed) one of my computers. To me, they're tools. You can have fun with tools too though. But I just want something that works (#1) and allows me to do whatever it is that I want to do as easily as possible (#2). Some people LOVE to work on their computers and tweak them at every opportunity... sort of like I am with cars. I just want to turn the thing on and 99.999% of the time have it work, without the screen freezing up or the background turning blue.

For as long as they last, I'll keep the Winboxes that I have that basically just sit in the corner of my office and download streaming quotes and build charts. But after seeing what my girl and her family can do with their Macs, I see no reason not to return to the Mac family when I buy a new computer next year (if not sooner). I'm thinking a MacBook Pro (15") and load it secondarily with Windows XP Pro (which I already have). When the woman at the shop that has been building, fixing and upgrading my PC's for over a decade told me that she was buying a Mac, that pretty much sold me.

Daniel
8th June 2010, 20:14
I'm not really a computer person (anymore). I don't mind working on a car, but it annoys me when I have to fix (or get fixed) one of my computers. To me, they're tools. You can have fun with tools too though. But I just want something that works (#1) and allows me to do whatever it is that I want to do as easily as possible (#2). Some people LOVE to work on their computers and tweak them at every opportunity... sort of like I am with cars. I just want to turn the thing on and 99.999% of the time have it work, without the screen freezing up or the background turning blue.

Funnily enough after working with PC's more or less non stop for the last 5 months or so I'm less keen than ever to play with mine at home.

But basically you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap crappy bits and put them on your scooby you're going to get trouble, if you get decent bits you shouldn't have any trouble. I always try to buy decent bits for mine and Caroline's PC's and consequently they're pretty darn reliable :)

Jag_Warrior
8th June 2010, 20:40
Funnily enough after working with PC's more or less non stop for the last 5 months or so I'm less keen than ever to play with mine at home.

But basically you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap crappy bits and put them on your scooby you're going to get trouble, if you get decent bits you shouldn't have any trouble. I always try to buy decent bits for mine and Caroline's PC's and consequently they're pretty darn reliable :)

That's very true. But it also comes down to parts compatibility and whether or not the (even) expensive piece is suitable for the appilcation - true of computers and cars. For instance, I know not to put a cold air intake or a manual boost controller on a Stage II WRX. I know not to fit headers (of certain types) unless I'm prepared for a reduction in bottom end to mid-range performance. Especially on turbo cars, it's not that hard to fry the engine if you don't have some idea what you're doing, and what that particular car will accept. What one would do to an Evo, oddly enough, might not necessarily work (well) on a WRX or STI. I agree with ALWAYS getting top shelf parts. But it's being able to select the correct/most applicable type of part that might decide how long your engine lives, or whether it actually hurts your performance instead of helping it. Speaking of hurting performance, anyone that wants a set of Kumho "high performance" tires with about 500 miles on them, send me a PM. I promise you we can make a deal. I'm not kidding! I'll take whatever I can get to get rid of these death donuts!

Now I haven't done even 1% of the research on computers that I've done on WRX's and STI's. But I did find it odd when I was reading about a "gaming" computer (some high end system) that was actually slower doing certain mundane tasks than a MUCH cheaper, less jazzed up system. For those who know what they want and (exactly) what it takes to do it, they can build their own systems and run Linux or whatever. But that's just not me. I just want to win another bet with gal-pal and make a video of her washing my cars wearing Daisy Dukes and a halter top again... and then I make it slo-mo and put some AC/DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" playing as background music. My needs are simple. :D

Daniel
8th June 2010, 21:28
That's very true. But it also comes down to parts compatibility and whether or not the (even) expensive piece is suitable for the appilcation - true of computers and cars. For instance, I know not to put a cold air intake or a manual boost controller on a Stage II WRX. I know not to fit headers (of certain types) unless I'm prepared for a reduction in bottom end to mid-range performance. Especially on turbo cars, it's not that hard to fry the engine if you don't have some idea what you're doing, and what that particular car will accept. What one would do to an Evo, oddly enough, might not necessarily work (well) on a WRX or STI. I agree with ALWAYS getting top shelf parts. But it's being able to select the correct/most applicable type of part that might decide how long your engine lives, or whether it actually hurts your performance instead of helping it. Speaking of hurting performance, anyone that wants a set of Kumho "high performance" tires with about 500 miles on them, send me a PM. I promise you we can make a deal. I'm not kidding! I'll take whatever I can get to get rid of these death donuts!

Now I haven't done even 1% of the research on computers that I've done on WRX's and STI's. But I did find it odd when I was reading about a "gaming" computer (some high end system) that was actually slower doing certain mundane tasks than a MUCH cheaper, less jazzed up system. For those who know what they want and (exactly) what it takes to do it, they can build their own systems and run Linux or whatever. But that's just not me. I just want to win another bet with gal-pal and make a video of her washing my cars wearing Daisy Dukes and a halter top again... and then I make it slo-mo and put some AC/DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" playing as background music. My needs are simple. :D

There are two falken's on the front of Caroline's car you can have!!!! But they're 205/60 R15's which certainly won't fit on your car :p They're going to get replaced next month as they're completely crap! When they get replaced the new tyres will be going on a brand spanking new set of these ;) :facelick:

http://www.rally24.com/res/img/products/wheels-tyres-7870_1l.jpg

It's not just about performance either with computers. Of recent years I've taken to building quiet PC's. My computer case has panels which are basically a sound absorbing plastic sandwiched between two layers of aluminium with a fairly heavy duty steel chassis and special low noise 120mm fans (standard PC fans used to be 80mm and were far noisier). It's got other little touches like the fact that the hard drives are suspended in rubber mounts a little like an engine rather than being screwed straight onto bare metal in the case like in most PC's. All of this combines to make my PC pretty darn quiet. It would be quieter if I hadn't upgraded my rather quiet graphics card for a louder one but I just can't be bothered to change the cooler on the new card.

Anyhoo this is my case. If you appreciate well thought out design and have ever seen the inside of a PC case I think you'll find this writeup interesting.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article249-page1.html

J4MIE
8th June 2010, 22:09
I got a Dell Streak yesterday, have to say that it is far too big as a phone and far far too easy to press wrong buttons (ie I hung up on the person calling to see how I was getting on with my new toy.....). I can see myself trying to send it back before the week is out :s

Roamy
8th June 2010, 22:13
Yes J4 send that roach back

DexDexter
9th June 2010, 10:57

I hear it has two cameras and Wlan, wow! Real innovation! I bet it will sell well, though.

Dave B
9th June 2010, 11:35
I got a Dell Streak yesterday, have to say that it is far too big as a phone and far far too easy to press wrong buttons (ie I hung up on the person calling to see how I was getting on with my new toy.....). I can see myself trying to send it back before the week is out :s
That was (maybe still is) on my list of phones to trial, I do like Android and the screen size. It does seem to be a bit of a halfway house between a phone and a tablet though, I'm not entirely sure it knows what it wants to be. Doesn't it come with Bluetooth* to get round the problem of pressing buttons while you're on a call?

*Another bog-standard feature deliberately crippled on the iPhone because we wouldn't want users sharing files - even their own photos - without permission from iTunes, now would we? :\

Daniel
9th June 2010, 14:16
I hear it has two cameras and Wlan, wow! Real innovation! I bet it will sell well, though.

WOW. My N95 had those features back in 2007, but sadly no fruit logo :( :p

Daniel
9th June 2010, 14:18
That was (maybe still is) on my list of phones to trial, I do like Android and the screen size. It does seem to be a bit of a halfway house between a phone and a tablet though, I'm not entirely sure it knows what it wants to be. Doesn't it come with Bluetooth* to get round the problem of pressing buttons while you're on a call?

*Another bog-standard feature deliberately crippled on the iPhone because we wouldn't want users sharing files - even their own photos - without permission from iTunes, now would we? :\
Steve Knobs will probably say that it's something about the user experience :laugh:

J4MIE
9th June 2010, 22:42

Yeah it's just too big for a phone and although it does fit in my pocket, you can really notice it when you are walking about which I really don't like. The interweb also hasn't worked for the past 24 hours although it took me until 5 minutes ago to think to restart the stupid thing and seems to be sorted.

According to the carphone warehouse site it seems I can't return or exchange it after actually putting the sim card into it, which seems a tad harsh. What do you think my chances are? I am still very unsure about it.

Dave B
10th June 2010, 08:49
According to the carphone warehouse site it seems I can't return or exchange it after actually putting the sim card into it, which seems a tad harsh. What do you think my chances are? I am still very unsure about it.
If you bought it online you're protected by Distance Selling Regulations and can return it. Instore the rules are harsher as it's considered that you had a chance to inspect it prior to purchase, so they don't have to offer you a refund if you simply change your mind or don't like it.

However if it's faulty (sounds like it could be) or not as described (whether by Dell's own literature, instore point-of-sale, salesperson's words) then your statutory rights override the retailer's terms and conditions.

If it's dropping signal or t'internet isn't working, then ask yourself whether it could be faulty, or whether you were made any promises about coverage, then act accordingly ;)

J4MIE
10th June 2010, 10:49
Cheers Dave, I'll keep playing with it for a few days and see if it's just a case of getting used to it and whether I can get used to the size, seems a lot of useful apps which I can see myself using out at rallies.

Interweb is working so far today!

J4MIE
10th June 2010, 10:49
Cheers Dave, I'll keep playing with it for a few days and see if it's just a case of getting used to it and whether I can get used to the size, seems a lot of useful apps which I can see myself using out at rallies.

Interweb is working so far today!

J4MIE
10th June 2010, 10:51
Haha, nice :dozey:

Dave B
10th June 2010, 18:52
Another problem with the new iPhone, or at least the UK network with the biggest existing customer base: you'll no longer get unlimited data. 500MB limit will equate, according to a commenter on this piece, to around 3 minutes of video per day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/06/o2_an_end_to_unlimited.html

J4MIE
10th June 2010, 20:27
Looks like I got in just in time then!

Jag_Warrior
10th June 2010, 20:42
What people seem to be missing is the affect that Apple has had on the smartphone landscape. Because of the revolutionary iPhone, every other smartphone maker has had to step up its game BIG time, or suffer the consequences (Palm, anyone?). This is a perfect case study in how (fierce) competition is making the market better for consumers.

I'm not into smartphones or even sending text messages (by the time I hack out half a sentence on a phone, I could have called you and been done with it), but I see how they can be used to increase productivity... for those who are trying to be more productive 24 HOURS A DAY (which ain't me!). But Apple is the company that has lit a fire under the entire market, and because of that, we have a WIDE(r) selection of really interesting phones and technology to choose from. I think the iPhone is now only behind RIM's Blackberry series in the U.S.... 35% vs 28%, or something like that. But according to an analyst's report that I read last week, in the U.S., it's actually the Droid series that is taking share from the Blackberry series, more so than the iPhone taking from RIM (both of which may have stalled out in terms of market share). Worldwide, I believe the big dog is still Nokia.

Great strategy by Apple though: use inexpensive, but high quality consumer devices to build your brand, and then sell more high margin Macs and other items, once people latch onto the brand. From a company that was on the verge of going under a little over a decade ago, Apple has now become the biggest technology company in the world, in terms of market capitalization.

Langdale Forest
10th June 2010, 21:36
Although most new technology is good, iPhone is a good example, really you just need something that is what it is, in this case just a mobile phone that you can talk to people on, not something to waste time messing about with. Older mobile phones were a much bigger technological breakthrough that the iPhone ever was.

J4MIE
10th June 2010, 22:51
Although most new technology is good, iPhone is a good example, really you just need something that is what it is, in this case just a mobile phone that you can talk to people on, not something to waste time messing about with. Older mobile phones were a much bigger technological breakthrough that the iPhone ever was.

Alright grandad ;)

GridGirl
10th June 2010, 23:03
If your with o2 they will charge you £20 for each remaining month of your contract so you can upgrade early plus the cost of the phone which they haven't released. To be fair, it will only cost me £40 but even though I love my iPhone I can't understand why you'd want to pay a premium just to get one as soon as possible. It does sound like a great little earner for o2 though. I'm
sure there will be the gadget freaks and people that just want the next big thing that are willing to pay the premium.

Mark
12th June 2010, 09:14
Me. I just want a phone where the features it has actually work properly. And it runs smoothly and doesn't crash or do crazy things like insisting on connecting to a wifi network that is now hundreds of miles away.

Daniel
12th June 2010, 10:28
Me. I just want a phone where the features it has actually work properly. And it runs smoothly and doesn't crash or do crazy things like insisting on connecting to a wifi network that is now hundreds of miles away.
My phones have done that in the past. Can't remember what I needed to stop them from doing that :p

Mark
13th June 2010, 14:26
I managed to delete the wireless network. But only by deleting all the networks! It wouldn't let me delete individually. Ah well.

Just waiting to see how best to buy the iPhone now!

Jag_Warrior
29th June 2010, 20:20
It was just announced on Bloomberg that Verizon (my carrier) is going to be offering the iPhone 4 beginning in January 2011. I'm still not inclined to get one (I just don't have a need or desire for a smartphone), but it's great that they're adding another carrier. But Verizon has a nasty habit of limiting features on otherwise really good phones. So I wonder if they'll do that with the iPhone, or if to get the iPhone they'll relax the reins?

Andrewmcm
30th June 2010, 11:45
I must say I'm distinctly unimpressed with how my carrier (O2) has handled the release of the new iPhone. Allowing users to buy out of their contracts early was a big mistake, as it has meant that some customers in the last month of their contracts, and therefore entitled to legitimately upgrade, have been unable to get hold of the new phone.

Very frustrating, as I'm in that position myself. Particularly as O2 are selling these things on a first come, first served basis and there is no means to reserve one.

Vodafone are starting to look attractive again.

Mark
30th June 2010, 12:25
I must say I'm distinctly unimpressed with how my carrier (O2) has handled the release of the new iPhone. Allowing users to buy out of their contracts early was a big mistake, as it has meant that some customers in the last month of their contracts, and therefore entitled to legitimately upgrade, have been unable to get hold of the new phone.

Very frustrating, as I'm in that position myself. Particularly as O2 are selling these things on a first come, first served basis and there is no means to reserve one.

At least they are selling to existing customers first. If you you want a fair way of doing things then it should be first come first served no matter who you are. Indeed, it wasn't long ago networks would only deal with new customers when it came to upgrades, leaving existing ones to pay a lot more. Until some bright spark realised that new customers are no use if you lose all your existing ones too!

Vodafone are starting to look attractive again.

I have an iPhone on Vodafone and their network is far superior. Having said that, the current best value tariff around seems to be Tesco, especially since they have a 12 month contract.

GridGirl
30th June 2010, 13:22
To be fair to o2, the early buy out deal is available for one month only. I think you just got unlucky on with your timing Andrew. :)

Mark
30th June 2010, 13:23
Patience is a virtue, and it may mean you get an iPhone 4 with a working antenna!

Francis44
30th June 2010, 13:29
This Iphone hype is about to end.

Nintendo already designed a 3D screen with no need for glasses in it's handheld DS, so the first to do it in a cellphone wins the market, and I guess it will not be Apple since they are too cheap and they just care about profit.

anthonyvop
30th June 2010, 15:42
they just care about profit.

And you have a problem with that? Don't you think Motorola, RIM, HTC, Nokia only care about profit also?

Anyway

I have to admit unless RIM steps up soon I might dump my Blackberry. Not for an iPhone though.
Verizon has place me on the list to receive the new Droid X when it is released on July 15th.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20008939-64.html

http://cnettv.cnet.com/motorola-droid-x/9742-1_53-50089410.html?tag=mncol;txt

Andrewmcm
30th June 2010, 16:15
To be fair to o2, the early buy out deal is available for one month only. I think you just got unlucky on with your timing Andrew. :)

Yeah the timing of the ending of my contract is unfortunate. I did try to get an iPhone on the day of release (knowing what would happen with the stock situation) but was somewhat surprised by the size of the queue at my local O2 store. At 7:30am. Suffice to say I've got better things to do than stand about for hours in a queue just to get a phone so I buggered off home again!

O2 and Vodafone share the same GSM network frequency if memory serves, so the coverage of those two operators is more-or-less the same. Orange and T-Mobile use a different frequency and their network coverage is more patchy.

Francis44
30th June 2010, 16:32
And you have a problem with that? Don't you think Motorola, RIM, HTC, Nokia only care about profit also?

Perhaps some of them try to create a great device, even if they dont have profit on the first one or two years of sale, to then have it cheaper to produce and turn a profit.

Many company's do that, Apple dosen't.

anthonyvop
30th June 2010, 16:36
Perhaps some of them try to create a great device, even if they dont have profit on the first one or two years of sale, to then have it cheaper to produce and turn a profit.

I hate to burst your bubble but all those companies exist for one thing only............Profit.

Now you may not agree with their business plan but Apple is doing what Apple thinks is the correct path to maximize profits.

Seems to be working quite well.

As for creating a great device to make a profit on it in a one or two years.......In the cell phone world 2 years is ancient history.

Francis44
30th June 2010, 16:39
I hate to burst your bubble but all those companies exist for one thing only............Profit.

Now you may not agree with their business plan but Apple is doing what Apple thinks is the correct path to maximize profits.

Seems to be working quite well.

As for creating a great device to make a profit on it in a one or two years.......In the cell phone world 2 years is ancient history.

Would a 3D screen be ancient history?! They could easily update their phone form 2 to 2 years time if they had a 3D screen, if they were the ones to come up with a cellphone like this.
Right now it just isn't worth to buy one Iphone, at it's price and with 3D screens arriving to cellpones soon it's just a way to wash out your money away.

That's why I dont agree with their direction, they could easily waited more a year and after they could take the whole market by surprise with a 3D cellphone, this new Iphone surely is a great device, but late arriving and a way to earn money in a easy way without much thought.

Mark
30th June 2010, 17:58
I believe you are correct in that O2 and Vodafone use one set of frequencies and Orange and T another. However this does not mean that their coverage is the same! Far from it. They use separate masts and so have quite different coverage profiles especially when it comes to UTMS coverage which O2 seems to struggle with IME.

Dave B
30th June 2010, 19:22
I believe you are correct in that O2 and Vodafone use one set of frequencies and Orange and T another.
That used to be true, with Cellnet (as was) and Vodafone on GSM900 and the others on 1800, but now both networks use a mixture as necessary for best coverage :)

Jag_Warrior
30th June 2010, 20:49

Yeah, I think PALM tried that. And we know how that story ended.

The stated purpose of any and all publicly traded corporations is to enhance shareholder wealth = make a profit. Anyone who tells you that they are in business to make the world a better place is not being truthful... or they don't understand why they are in business.

Apple is wildly successful because it is largely meeting and exceeding customer demands and desires... while making a healthy profit.

Daniel
30th June 2010, 21:21
Yeah, I think PALM tried that. And we know how that story ended.

The stated purpose of any and all publicly traded corporations is to enhance shareholder wealth = make a profit. Anyone who tells you that they are in business to make the world a better place is not being truthful... or they don't understand why they are in business.

Apple is wildly successful because it is largely meeting and exceeding customer demands and desires... while making a healthy profit.
Apple is successful because of marketing....

Valve Bounce
1st July 2010, 02:44

Has anyone priced one of these at the Sim Lim Centre in Singapore?

Daniel
1st July 2010, 07:40
Has anyone priced one of these at the Sim Lim Centre in Singapore?
Yes, as soon as we heard about it we all went to the Sim Lim centre. You've not been? :crazy:

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2010, 09:56

That's certainly part of it, as it is with any top ranked, growing brand. But marketing is just a set of communication tools. So even if a company has invented the greatest thing since sliced bread, if that company is unable to communicate that to the marketplace, it probably won't be very successful.

I found this article earlier this year: the Digital IQ, "ranking the digital competence of luxury brands". It looks at the top ranked brands in the world, by category and overall. Apple is the #1 ranked brand in the world (by Digital IQ ranking) in both its category (electronics) and overall... beating out BMW (#2 overall), Audi, Sony, Porsche, Luis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, TAG Heuer, Clinique, American Express, Gucci, Ferrari, Tiffany, Rolex, Veuve Clicquot (#15). You've got to have the products that the market demands, but you also have to deliver the message in a way that makes people drool. I think what surprised me about that ranking was seeing Ferrari behind Audi and Porsche. Hmm...

Digital IQ rankings (http://www.luxury-world.org/ext/http://l2thinktank.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Digital-IQ-Index_2009_hyperlinks4.pdf)

So yeah, you add great marketing with the high marks Apple gets with most of its products when it comes to design, function and customer service = now the largest technology company in the world by market capitalization.

Valve Bounce
1st July 2010, 10:07
Yes, as soon as we heard about it we all went to the Sim Lim centre. You've not been? :crazy:

Nah! waiting for it to be released before I contact my mate there.

Mark
1st July 2010, 10:59

Partly marketing, absolutely. But if they made products which were absolute crap it doesn't matter how much you market them. The fact is that Apple is very good at marketing, and their products are pretty good too, now they may not be class leading but they "do what they say on the tin" and do it well.

They are mostly successful IMO because their products are consumer focused in a way no other technology company has managed to grasp so far, in building products the focus seems to be on the user interface first and then build things around that. Whereas the traditional approach had always been to build the product and then bolt a UI on the front of it.

Like the iPod, MP3 players had been around for a good while before it was brought out, but Apple made it easy and that's why 'iPod' is now synonymous with digital music.

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2010, 19:17
I've been wondering when Big Bill Gates would get tired of Steve Ballmer's constant missteps and failings (Kin phone killed after 2 months?!). Speculation now has the fat lady warming up her voice for Ballmer at Microsoft. If he doesn't get the Windows 7 phone platform right, he's probably gone, reports Bloomberg. The stock has been dead money for about 7 years. IMO, he should be gone no matter what.

Here's an interview with Ballmer from 2007, at the launch of the iPhone. If I was Gates, I'd call him into the company offices, read this interview to him and have the BoD walk him to the door. His golden parachute would be a bag full of Zunes and Kins in a bag I'd wrap around his neck. What a goof!!!

January 2007:

INTERVIEWER: …? The Zune was getting some traction. Then Steve Jobs goes to MacWorld and he pulls out this iPhone.? What was your reaction when you saw that?

STEVE BALLMER:? 500 dollars?? Fully subsidized? With a plan?? I said that is the most expensive phone in the world.? And it doesn’t appeal to business customers because it doesn’t have a keyboard.? Which makes it not a very good email machine.

INTERVIEWER: How do you compete with that, though?? He sucked out a lot of the spotlight…

STEVE BALLMER: Let’s take phones first. Right now, we’re selling millions and millions and millions of phones a year.? Apple is selling zero phones a year.? In six months, they’ll have the most expensive phone by far ever in the marketplace…

Watch…

Daniel
1st July 2010, 20:19
I've been wondering when Big Bill Gates would get tired of Steve Ballmer's constant missteps and failings (Kin phone killed after 2 months?!). Speculation now has the fat lady warming up her voice for Ballmer at Microsoft. If he doesn't get the Windows 7 phone platform right, he's probably gone, reports Bloomberg. The stock has been dead money for about 7 years. IMO, he should be gone no matter what.

Here's an interview with Ballmer from 2007, at the launch of the iPhone. If I was Gates, I'd call him into the company offices, read this interview to him and have the BoD walk him to the door. His golden parachute would be a bag full of Zunes and Kins in a bag I'd wrap around his neck. What a goof!!!
Meh, Ballmer is a Microsoft lifer and Gates isn't one of these morons who will have someone's head just because some morons ask for it.

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2010, 20:45
Meh, Ballmer is a Microsoft lifer and Gates isn't one of these morons who will have someone's head just because some morons ask for it.

The "morons" in question are MSFT shareholders: the actual owners of the company. The duty of the Chairman and the purpose of MSFT (and all corporations) is to enhance shareholder value. Ballmer has failed miserably at enhancing shareholder value. So it's no surprise to me that it's being reported that his job is now on the line. While I've read that Gates is a rather loyal individual, I don't believe he's going to let a yutz drive the company he founded into the ground.

Mark
2nd July 2010, 09:33
Perhaps Microsoft shouldn't keep trying to compete with Apple and Google and actually do their own thing?!

Daniel
2nd July 2010, 09:45
Microsoft have done their own thing tbh. From an IT point of view adminstration has never been easy. We're migrating from Novell to AD and aside from a few minor issues it's all going very smoothly. Wouldn't have been like that a few years ago.

Mark
2nd July 2010, 10:04
Microsoft have done their own thing tbh. From an IT point of view adminstration has never been easy. We're migrating from Novell to AD and aside from a few minor issues it's all going very smoothly. Wouldn't have been like that a few years ago.

True, this is one of Microsofts strengths and always has been. Making enterprise level business software. Servers and the like, you don't hear about it much but they are a big player, make good products and make a lot of money doing it. Much like you never hear much about IBM, Oracle (including Sun now) because they are selling to businesses.

Microsofts consumer facing side needs a bit of work, or they should drop it! Having said that the XBox has gone well, and is a good competitior.

Daniel
2nd July 2010, 10:25
You can't win 'em all. I think Microsoft have realised this and quite rightly so. I suspect if Microsoft keep up on the XBox front and Nintendo bring another Wii to the party then Sony might be in trouble.

Dave B
5th July 2010, 13:46
Some lovely observations from the future Mr Huq here:

Apple zealots were quick to point out that you can get around the problem entirely by placing the device on a velvet cushion and gazing at it and breathing through your nose and masturbating instead of making any calls.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jul/05/iphone-4-apple-new