PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n' Roll Band

Brown, Jon Brow
6th June 2010, 00:34
According to the BBCs show I'm in a Rock and Roll band the greatest band of all time is Led Zeppelin. As a huge Led Zep fan I don't disagree.

According to the show the best supergroup possible would have been:

Drums - John Bonham (Led Zep)
Bass - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Guitar - Jimi Hendrix
Vocals - Freddie Mercury (Queen)

I have to say that seeing Hendrix jam with Bonham and Flea would have been incredible.

Thoughts?

Tazio
6th June 2010, 01:05
I don't agree that The Zep is the greatest rock band of all time. That is down to personal taste. I remember when their first Album was released in the States, absolutely awesome!! :eek: I do like the ultra group on the list. I saw Hendrix. The best guitar player I ever saw until Randy California of Spirit (in similar styles).They played together in jolly olde and RC would have been part of the Jimi Hendrix experience but he was only like 16 and his parents nixed the deal. I believe they toured together later and Jimi is accused of stealing some of his riffs! Anyway I would rank 3 or 4 guys ahead of them now!
As for Freddie Murcury, I can think of beter vocalists. Robert Cray comes to mind.
I think we had this discussion a long time ago! ;) :s mokin:

airshifter
6th June 2010, 01:34
Far too many personal opinions go into something like this. You could take very talented individuals and throw them together to make a crap band. Or you could take some not as talented individuals and throw them together to make a great band.

I've always loved Led Zeppelin, but I'm sure many others have their own picks for "greatest of all time".

Jag_Warrior
6th June 2010, 01:54
I'm a Led Zep fan too. But I've already picked out several Rolling Stones songs that I want played at my funeral. Led Zep was indeed a great band, but not the greatest. Mick and the boys hold that crown (IMO).

Now days we have people that sound (and look) like convicts beating on trash cans, mixing it with synthesizers... and calling it "music". Long live (real) Rock & Roll! :bounce:

ShiftingGears
6th June 2010, 02:37
Far too many personal opinions go into something like this. You could take very talented individuals and throw them together to make a crap band.

Absolutely.

dunes
6th June 2010, 04:51
According to the BBCs show I'm in a Rock and Roll band the greatest band of all time is Led Zeppelin. As a huge Led Zep fan I don't disagree.

According to the show the best supergroup possible would have been:

Drums - John Bonham (Led Zep)
Bass - Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Guitar - Jimi Hendrix
Vocals - Freddie Mercury (Queen)

I have to say that seeing Hendrix jam with Bonham and Flea would have been incredible.

Thoughts?
I would personally change Jimi with Steie Ray Vaughn

fandango
6th June 2010, 10:15
I've never understood the idea that people have with supergroups. But then again, music is the art form which most closely resembles sport. The discussions, charts, competitions etc show this. I suppose it's the physical, performance aspect that makes it like this.

In the end there are only two types of music - good and bad.

And as for groups, every band can be the best band in the world, and there are moments when every band is. It's just that some of them get the moment to last a few decades longer than others. I used to work as a sound engineer, and I've experienced the crappest bands have their moments of excellence (and vice versa). The single most important element in any group is - wait for it - the drummer (!!!!). But we don't tell them. ;)

BeansBeansBeans
6th June 2010, 10:27
Yup, music isn't sport. There's no way to pick a winner.

MrJan
6th June 2010, 11:17
I would personally change Jimi with Steie Ray Vaughn

Depends what you're after. I much prefer SRV but think that Hendrix was more groundbreaking and would be better as a creative mind, SRV can just wail. There's a video on Youtooob of him doing Texas Flood live (it's from one of the videos, I forget which one) and it's phenomenal.

I don't think that I could create an idea for a supergroup, I'd be too worried about leaving out so many great guitarists.

chuck34
6th June 2010, 11:45
For a super group, I'd probably just leave Zep alone. Not too many better than those 4 at their respective "axes".

Too many times super groups just don't seem to add up to the sum of it's parts. One example that jumps to mind is Them Crooked Vultures. It's an ok band. But those guys should be MUCH better

pino
6th June 2010, 16:25
Led Zeppelin for me too, followed by Deep Purple :s mokin:

dunes
6th June 2010, 16:40
Yup, music isn't sport. There's no way to pick a winner.

True but at my birthday wish party my picks will be perfoming if only in my deranged little mind.

Sleeper
6th June 2010, 19:15
Zep were good but the greatest band ever?, not a chance. Of the supergroup list Flea is the only one that really impresses me, but I find his best work is with The Mars Volta. Agree with the guy that said supergroups dont work because few of them do.

Daniel
6th June 2010, 19:39
A band is a team and as such you can't simply get a group of great musicians together and expect them to do great things.

Like BBB says music isn't a sport so you can't pick a winner. What type of music you like at the moment and therefore who you'd pick depends completely on your mood. One moment I might pick The Who, tomorrow it could be Led Zeppelin and in a week I might like the Chilli Peppers.

ShiftingGears
7th June 2010, 04:15
I know that if I formed a band I would first and foremost want band members that I could bounce ideas off.

On the topic of Led Zeppelin their music is pretty excellent, but when you listen to their back catalog, mentally replace whenever Robert Plant yells "baby" with the word "babies" and it makes it so much more obvious how horribly overused that word is in their songs.
I find some of their live recordings end up with them having an overindulgent, directionless jam session based on nothing for about 15 minutes, which is pretty boring to listen to.

Rollo
7th June 2010, 04:57
Like BBB says music isn't a sport so you can't pick a winner.

Why not?

Seeing as this is Motorsport Forums then the winner would be a band who supports a Motorsport Team. By default the best band is Atomic Kitten:

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2002/oulton/d30/action/gh1.jpg.html

Now days we have people that sound (and look) like convicts beating on trash cans, mixing it with synthesizers... and

sponsoring future Touring Car Champions :D

Rudy Tamasz
7th June 2010, 07:50
Depends what you're after. I much prefer SRV but think that Hendrix was more groundbreaking and would be better as a creative mind, SRV can just wail. There's a video on Youtooob of him doing Texas Flood live (it's from one of the videos, I forget which one) and it's phenomenal.

I don't think that I could create an idea for a supergroup, I'd be too worried about leaving out so many great guitarists.

Johnny Winter beats them both.

Donney
7th June 2010, 07:53
I personally think Robert Plant is way better than Freddy Mercury, the rest I more or less agree, but as said before, style, taste, era and personal preferences make it impossible to form the ideal superband.

Sleeper
7th June 2010, 19:59
Why not?

Seeing as this is Motorsport Forums then the winner would be a band who supports a Motorsport Team. By default the best band is Atomic Kitten:

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2002/oulton/d30/action/gh1.jpg.html

sponsoring future Touring Car Champions :D

No its Pink Floyd, Nick Mason actually races.

Steve Boyd
8th June 2010, 12:59
No its Pink Floyd, Nick Mason actually races.
What about The Who?
They sponsored a Mini in the 1971 RAC rally.

MrJan
8th June 2010, 13:02
Owy was sponsored by his sister when he had the 306 in the Production Cup or whatever it was called.