Opened: 1974

Track Record:Kasey Kahne, June 2004, 52.164 sec @ 172.533 mph
Race Record: Alan Kulwicki, June 1992, 144.023mph
Most Wins: 5 - Bill Elliott [4 - Jeff Gordon]
Most Poles: 5 - Bill Elliott, Ken Schrader
Worst Starting Spot to Win: Carl Edwards, June 2005, started 29th
Most Lead Changes: 56 - 7/30/1979
Fewest Lead Changes: 10 - 7/26/1998

(info taken from http://jayski.com/next/2010/14poc2010.htm )

Alexamateo
5th June 2010, 03:55
Kyle Busch won the pole at 169.485, Clint Bowyer's along side, Dale Jr's 3rd, with Big Bro' Busch 4th and Denny Hamlin rounding out the top 5.

JJ was fastest in practice, but qualified 25th. I noticed on Jayski that he was the only driver not to qualify faster than he practiced. I am assuming something happened, does anybody know?

slorydn1
5th June 2010, 09:08
Kyle Busch won the pole at 169.485, Clint Bowyer's along side, Dale Jr's 3rd, with Big Bro' Busch 4th and Denny Hamlin rounding out the top 5.

JJ was fastest in practice, but qualified 25th. I noticed on Jayski that he was the only driver not to qualify faster than he practiced. I am assuming something happened, does anybody know?

He looked real good until the exit of turn 1.....got loose on corner exit and had to catch it...ruined his exit speed for the entire Long Pond straight, then started making back a little time thru the tunnel turn......My guess the bad exit off turn 1 cost him at least 0.5 sec by itself

Alexamateo
5th June 2010, 18:50
Thanks, didn't notice it until now, but Geoff Bodine is making his first start in 5-6 years in Tommy Baldwin's car. Geoff won the first (Nascar) race I ever attended in person. It was Nashville's last race (for Cup) in 1984. His and Hendrick's second win. :)

slorydn1
6th June 2010, 02:05
Thanks, didn't notice it until now, but Geoff Bodine is making his first start in 5-6 years in Tommy Baldwin's car. Geoff won the first (Nascar) race I ever attended in person. It was Nashville's last race (for Cup) in 1984. His and Hendrick's second win. :)

Must be something with those nor'easters: Steve Park won the first Cup race I attended in person, Rockingham '01.

Sparky1329
6th June 2010, 05:56
Must be something with those nor'easters: Steve Park won the first Cup race I attended in person, Rockingham '01.

Speaking of Steve.....he'll be in the #36 at Daytona next month. The team will be featuring a Richie Evans paint scheme on the car. I'm thrilled to see Baldwin and Park together again. :)

Sparky1329
6th June 2010, 15:37
FYI.....we're under a tornado watch until 3PM here in the Poconos. There's a line of strong thunderstorms sweeping across PA and approaching Luzerne Co and points east. We're in for some hairy weather shortly.

slorydn1
6th June 2010, 16:36
FYI.....we're under a tornado watch until 3PM here in the Poconos. There's a line of strong thunderstorms sweeping across PA and approaching Luzerne Co and points east. We're in for some hairy weather shortly.

Yes you are....batten down the hatches and keep your heads down

slorydn1
6th June 2010, 17:20
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly Nj
1200 Pm Edt Sun Jun 6 2010

Njz007-paz054-055-062-061700-
Carbon Pa-monroe Pa-northampton Pa-warren Nj-
1200 Pm Edt Sun Jun 6 2010

...a Line Of Strong Thunderstorms Will Affect Carbon...monroe...
Northampton And Warren Counties...

At 1155 Am Edt...national Weather Service Doppler Radar Indicated A
Line Of Strong Thunderstorms 17 Miles Southwest Of Wilkes-barre...
Moving East At 45 Mph. The Line Of Thunderstorms Will Be Near East
Side...white Haven Around 1215 Pm...blakeslee...lake Harmony Around
1230 Pm...pocono Pines...mount Pocono Around 1245 Pm...alpine
Mountain And Analomink Around 100 Pm.

Wind Gusts To 50 Mph And Small Hail Are Possible With These Storms.

Lat...lon 4124 7513 4116 7516 4115 7509 4091 7503
4090 7600 4091 7600 4100 7575 4105 7578
4110 7577 4114 7570 4113 7564 4123 7554
4125 7550 4126 7514

$$

Hayes

slorydn1
6th June 2010, 18:23
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Njc037-pac025-089-061800-
/o.new.kphi.sv.w.0057.100606t1655z-100606t1800z/

Bulletin - Eas Activation Requested
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Mount Holly Nj
1255 Pm Edt Sun Jun 6 2010

The National Weather Service In Mount Holly Nj Has Issued A

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning For...
Northern Carbon County In Northeast Pennsylvania...
Monroe County In Northeast Pennsylvania...
This Includes The City Of Mount Pocono...
Sussex County In Northwest New Jersey...
This Includes The City Of Newton...

* Until 200 Pm Edt

* At 1250 Pm Edt...national Weather Service Doppler Radar Indicated A
Line Of Severe Thunderstorms Capable Of Producing Quarter Size
Hail...and Damaging Winds In Excess Of 60 Mph. These Storms
Were Located Along A Line Extending From 6 Miles Southeast Of
Scranton To 10 Miles South Of Wilkes-barre To 30 Miles West Of
Lehighton...and Moving East At 75 Mph.

* Severe Thunderstorms Will Be Near...
Gouldsboro State Park And White Haven Around 105 Pm Edt...
Tobyhanna...blakeslee And Weatherly Around 110 Pm Edt...
Christmans...skytop...lake Harmony And Canadensis Around 115 Pm
Edt...
Penn Forest Reservoir Around 120 Pm Edt...

these Storms Will Also Affect The Pocono Raceway.

Precautionary/preparedness Actions...

A Tornado Watch Remains In Effect Until 800 Pm Edt Sunday Evening For
New Jersey And Eastern Pennsylvania. A Tornado Watch Also Remains In
Effect Until 800 Pm Edt Sunday Evening For Delaware And Northeastern
Maryland And Southern New Jersey.

&&

Lat...lon 4121 7440 4105 7471 4102 7490 4108 7497
4098 7514 4085 7595 4090 7600 4100 7575
4105 7578 4110 7577 4114 7570 4113 7564
4125 7550 4126 7514 4116 7516 4115 7509
4109 7503 4112 7495 4127 7484 4135 7471
Time...mot...loc 1654z 260deg 64kt 4138 7547 4111 7579
4093 7620

slorydn1
6th June 2010, 18:38
Red Flag for rain has delayed the start...red flag at 1:24 pm EDT

djparky
6th June 2010, 21:38
why does this place have 2 races on the calendar?? seems to be alot of empty seats in the grandstands

aside from watching Dale Jnr's inevitable slide into the midfield (which I find entertaining every week), this is rather boring to watch- it feels like it's been going for hours and yet they're not even halfway yet!

Hoss Ghoul
7th June 2010, 00:24
What a great race, and an incredible season thus far.

The last two incidents only added to the stories. Kahne was classic, while Logano clearly crossed a line and will be dealt with!

Ultimately the right car won.
Hornish looked good in clean air then tumbled.
Tony Stewart can drive.
Logano hadn't lifted at the end he'd have had the best save all year.

slorydn1
7th June 2010, 00:49
What a great race, and an incredible season thus far.

The last two incidents only added to the stories. Kahne was classic, while Logano clearly crossed a line and will be dealt with!

Ultimately the right car won.
Hornish looked good in clean air then tumbled.
Tony Stewart can drive.
Logano hadn't lifted at the end he'd have had the best save all year.

Logano and JD Gibbs got called to the big white truck but I'm sure nothing will come of that (that was before his interview). Now as for his comment about D...even Kevin knows D is in charge :p : and I'm sure he'll make some smart butt joke about that and move on....Now, Joey's dad may be in hot water...joey's crew was trying defuse the situation and he was egging Joey on....anyway the on track incident was his fault anyway...Kevin held his line and Joey turned down on him (not to cause a wreck or anything like that, but to get that "new patch" for the run off 3 and Kevin was already there).

TURN3
7th June 2010, 00:55
Logano and JD Gibbs got called to the big white truck but I'm sure nothing will come of that (that was before his interview). Now as for his comment about D...even Kevin knows D is in charge :p : and I'm sure he'll make some smart butt joke about that and move on....Now, Joey's dad may be in hot water...joey's crew was trying defuse the situation and he was egging Joey on....anyway the on track incident was his fault anyway...Kevin held his line and Joey turned down on him (not to cause a wreck or anything like that, but to get that "new patch" for the run off 3 and Kevin was already there).

I didn't see it slory, don't know what happened, and don't know who is blaming who. This is the first I know of any incident with them today. But remember what I said earlier this year when Whorvick was pulling his sissy cheap shot crap? Is it heating up?

Hoss Ghoul
7th June 2010, 01:03
Lol, that's funny slo.

Of course it was intentional, and why not? Gave him a shot at the win and Chase bonus points at no cost...

Who cares about NASCAR, logano has to run harvick for the next decade or more!

muggle not
7th June 2010, 16:35
I think the Gibbs drivers believe thay can do what they want on the track. I don't blame harvick one bit for holding his line. Logano cut down on him and expected Harvick to let up. Last year kyle cut in front of Tony and got what he deserved. I hear that Tony is quite upset about Hamlin's actions on the re-starts for blocking. Tony as much as promised to be in the "highlights" the next few races as a result of the re-start actions by those up front.

btw, great race at Pocono. They desereve 2 races more than most tracks. It is a drivers track.

harvick#1
7th June 2010, 18:11
I think the Gibbs drivers believe thay can do what they want on the track. I don't blame harvick one bit for holding his line. Logano cut down on him and expected Harvick to let up. Last year kyle cut in front of Tony and got what he deserved. I hear that Tony is quite upset about Hamlin's actions on the re-starts for blocking. Tony as much as promised to be in the "highlights" the next few races as a result of the re-start actions by those up front.

btw, great race at Pocono. They desereve 2 races more than most tracks. It is a drivers track.

it was a racing deal, they both wanted that pice of track, and they touched, Logano's dad is a tool though, trying to instigate a fight the whole time, he has no business being on pitroad anymore.

but the Gibbs drivers have always been a bunch of babies, the only one that I have some respect for anymore is Hamlin as he seems to have matured quite a bit, and understand that its just about moving on.

Sparky1329
7th June 2010, 18:13
why does this place have 2 races on the calendar?? seems to be alot of empty seats in the grandstands

aside from watching Dale Jnr's inevitable slide into the midfield (which I find entertaining every week), this is rather boring to watch- it feels like it's been going for hours and yet they're not even halfway yet!

It's only recently with the economic downturn that there are empty seats at Pocono. When things were booming the seats and the infield were filled to capacity. Pocono encompasses the lucrative NY/NJ/CT market so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Pocono to lose a race.

I could live with shortening the races to 400 miles, though.

djparky
7th June 2010, 20:29
It's only recently with the economic downturn that there are empty seats at Pocono. When things were booming the seats and the infield were filled to capacity. Pocono encompasses the lucrative NY/NJ/CT market so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Pocono to lose a race.

I could live with shortening the races to 400 miles, though.

yeah it needs to be 100 miles shorter- I Sky-plussed it last night and watched it this evening- how many ad breaks do they need- it seemed to be every 3 laps they went for another break

still one dubious debris caution bunched up the field nicely for the final 50 laps- which were very entertaining- what the hell was the Dinger doing running his team mate off the track though?

00steven
7th June 2010, 21:39
I like the Dinger but it was unacceptible to run Kayne all the way to the grass and cause a huge wreck like that. Kayne almost flipped outside of the track! Which prompts me to ask, Why isn't there a fence on the streches at Pocono? That's very dangerous. I'm also miffed at Harvick taking out Joey like that. It proves again that Kev's a straight up jerk.

At least we had Toyota 1,2!

harvick#1
7th June 2010, 21:49
oh grow up, what Harvick did was a racing incident, they both were going for the same spot, and look at the replay, Joey was coming down on Harvick has well, it was 50/50. Joeys dad needs to be removed from the track, what a turd he is

so your more mad at Harvick than AJ, hell only AJ put his own teammate into the grass and create a major pileup, but thats more harmful that a spin that Joey saved from hitting the wall :rolleyes:

muggle not
8th June 2010, 00:08
oh grow up, what Harvick did was a racing incident, they both were going for the same spot, and look at the replay, Joey was coming down on Harvick has well, it was 50/50. Joeys dad needs to be removed from the track, what a turd he is

so your more mad at Harvick than AJ, hell only AJ put his own teammate into the grass and create a major pileup, but thats more harmful that a spin that Joey saved from hitting the wall :rolleyes: I gotta disagree. It wasn't 50/50. Harvick had the position and Logano wanted it but didn't have Harvick cleared. I would call it more like 80/20 - Logano's fault. I get tired of logano thinking everyone should roll-over and let him be the "untouchable".

jeffmr2
8th June 2010, 00:40
I was really hoping Logano could save it to avoid yet another GWC finish.As seen yesterday they can really spoil a race,the sooner they are scrapped the better.
As for the Harvick/Logano incident i just see it as being just good hard racing,it was great they both really wanted the spot.
What Logano said was highly amusing but probably wrong to bring Mrs H into the argument.

willracefan
8th June 2010, 00:43
the 15 or 16 year olds that got attracted to watching racing thanks to junior and kyle busch or whatever seem to think that joey turned because he was supposed to turn and that harvick didnt turn enough, and i believe this may be that they don't understand the complications with getting in the corners. some racing fans nascar is bringing up these days.

00steven
8th June 2010, 02:11
harvick #1,

I am not saying what Harvick did was worse than Allmendinger. Actually A.J.'s was much worse. I agree that Joey's dad needs to step aside. He needs to let Joey grow up. But don't tell me to grow up. Your the one taking what I said and twisting it.

willracefan
8th June 2010, 05:42
actually you come on here with your 8 posts and talk about things that some don't agree with.

00steven
8th June 2010, 17:26
What is that supposed to mean? I have been a race fan for 10 years and have now just stumbled on this website. So, I think I know what I'm talking about!

00steven
8th June 2010, 17:54
I just saw on Jayski that Wal-Mart may sponsor a Hendrick car in the future.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

willracefan
8th June 2010, 23:05
actually you don't, and for the record this is a pro-harvick board, so any of us will make our point to the end. joey turned in to harvick and i'll stand by that. in fact there's a youtube video of logano's past racing style like this, i'll have to get the link.

00steven
9th June 2010, 00:07
Ok, Ok enough about Harvick. Theres no doubting his driving ability. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the incident.

slorydn1
9th June 2010, 00:39
The father of Sprint Cup driver Joey Logano will not have his NASCAR credential pulled for the second time in a year after being called to the hauler for his behavior following Sunday's race at Pocono Raceway. But Tom Logano was told strongly by NASCAR officials that he crossed the line when he allegedly shoved a television broadcaster out of the way -- an allegation he disputes -- while his 20-year-old son tried to get to Sprint Cup Series points leader Kevin Harvick on pit road.

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news20tue

just as I predicted...it's all good...

Now everyone stop picking on little Joey and his fans....its not Joey's fault that his dad wears the firesuit in his family :p :

Oh, and welcome aboard 00steven.... :up:

00steven
9th June 2010, 02:18
http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news20tue

just as I predicted...it's all good...

Now everyone stop picking on little Joey and his fans....its not Joey's fault that his dad wears the firesuit in his family :p :

Oh, and welcome aboard 00steven.... :up:

Thanks!

slorydn1
9th June 2010, 03:07
Shoot-I'm the Mod and still making rookie mistakes-I shullda posted this in here to start with-copied from the kudo's to Delana thread:

Fact is, Joey is still a kid and makes kiddie statements.

He has talent but hasn't learned how to use it yet. Time will tell if he learns enough to become known as one of the great drivers.

Well said :up:

Believe it or not, I like Joey- and if he ever learns racing etiquette he's gonna be very tough to beat. Hell, he's the ONLY driver the last two years that could take it to shrubbie week in and week out especially in the Nationwide series, My guy Kevin has come close driving his own stuff, but it was Joey who had Shrub all p/o'd last year with all the P2 finishes in Natwide...

That said:

I got lambasted by several on here when Kevin dumped him at Bristol because I had been paying attention to what DSPN wouldn't show us. Thank God for live leaderboard. Kevin had been 2-3 tenths faster a lap than Joey, in fact had been faster than the leader but a bad pit stop had gotten him mired in the back half of the top 10. Harvick went motoring by some pretty top shelf cup drivers that were in the race- his nemesis Cuz Carl included, and then he got to Logano...and got blocked for more than 25 consecutive laps...By Kevin's own admission he dive bombed it in there on the last lap and it didn't stick...and Joey got punted, sux to be him.

All Stop.

Fast forward to Pocono. If I wasn't watching Harvick's channel on DTV hot pass I may not have known what was going on.

Kevin, this time between .5 and .75 sec a lap faster catches up too Joey, who is still p/o'd about Bristol, and he pinched Kevin down on lap 197 going into turn 3, and Kev STILL passed him on the straight away. Joey fought back high in turn 1 of lap 198 (cool move in my book) and the were side by side down Long Pond and Joey again kept him down tight going through the tunnel, causing Harvick to get loose and have to lift as they came up off (Harvick said that on the radio-and Logano unwittingly confirmed when he said "I heard him let off in the straight away") then they got to turn 3...all the grip is on that patch in the middle and Kevin apparently already had his mind made up that he was going to use that patch to his advantage so he could clear Joey down the frontstretch and not have to mess with him anymore.....
The overhead camera shot shows what happened next and the rest is history.

Joey will learn eventually....

It took Kevin several to learn and I guarantee you if this was 2002 you would NOT have read muggle not taking up for Harvick.

willracefan
9th June 2010, 06:16
slo i was surprised by that too, lol.

and here is the link regarding a logano race in 07 before he came to the elite nascar series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2P4keDITo

slorydn1
9th June 2010, 07:34
slo i was surprised by that too, lol.

and here is the link regarding a logano race in 07 before he came to the elite nascar series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2P4keDITo

Yep...I watched that live-that was in 2009, not '07....still, pretty illustrative... :D

Shifter
9th June 2010, 13:22
Kayne almost flipped outside of the track! Which prompts me to ask, Why isn't there a fence on the streches at Pocono? That's very dangerous.

I was trying to sort this out in my mind too, but it seems to me that as a driver I actually wouldn't mind winding up outside the wall instead of sideways on the track with my driver side facing oncoming racecars. Just depends on what's actually out there, the trees snap off and yeild whereas most things on the racetrack dont. My biggest concern of all would be a fire hazard, and hopefully Pocono has first responders waiting who can instantly arrive at a wrecked car in the trees.

00steven
9th June 2010, 14:03
I was trying to sort this out in my mind too, but it seems to me that as a driver I actually wouldn't mind winding up outside the wall instead of sideways on the track with my driver side facing oncoming racecars. Just depends on what's actually out there, the trees snap off and yeild whereas most things on the racetrack dont. My biggest concern of all would be a fire hazard, and hopefully Pocono has first responders waiting who can instantly arrive at a wrecked car in the trees.

It looked like from the camara angles on the broadcast there were a lot of trees. I am just concerned about the possibilities that could arise with such a situation. To your point, what if his car caught fire? The safety crew is on the track, not out. Can you imagine the potential for devastation?

Mark in Oshawa
9th June 2010, 17:02
If Kahne left the track, I am sure they would have gotten to him. He wouldn't get THAT far off track, and there is an access road back there.

00steven
9th June 2010, 18:21
If Kahne left the track, I am sure they would have gotten to him. He wouldn't get THAT far off track, and there is an access road back there.

Your right, a couple trees through the windsheild wouldn't harm him.

Mark in Oshawa
9th June 2010, 18:26
Your right, a couple trees through the windsheild wouldn't harm him.

The tree's wouldn't go through the windshield. The tree's you see on that back stretch are not going to stand up to 3400 lbs of race car tumbling into them...

00steven
9th June 2010, 20:18
There are trees behond those trees.There is no reason for every racetrack not to have a catchfence. There was an indycar driver named Jeff Krosnoff who had a terrible mishap with a tree which resulted in fatality. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. I'm not saying anything like that will happen but, nothing can ever be safe enough. All they need is a simple fence for crying out loud!

slorydn1
9th June 2010, 22:19
The reason there are no fences on the Long Pond straight is because there are no seats or rv parking areas back there.

The catch fencing at all the tracks are there for our safety and not the drivers safety. The safer-barrier equiped walls are there for the drivers safety.

Ask some and they wuld say higher walls would be much safer than the fencing (just look at what all the open nooks and crannys on a fence do to a race car unfortunate enough to hit it....an Indy car completey disintegrates into bite sized pieces, and a stock car really doesn't fair that much better).

Of course higher walls mean restricted visablity, so we won't ever see those where the fans are at.

And is it really necessary at Pocono?

Kasey hit the wall at the most severe angle possible, while being struck by a a second car, and failed to clear the existing wall. The track has been there since the early 70's and to my knowledge no one has ever cleared that wall. The existing wall did its job.

So the question is, do we, in this economy, expect the track to erect catch fencing to protect trees since its been shown that the fencing does nothing for the drivers safety?

00steven
9th June 2010, 22:36
If Kahne's car caught fire and then flipped over the wall it would take the safety crew longer to get to him. There is an uproar right now in Indycar regarding Simona De Salvestro's incident. So if Pocono can't afford to keep the drivers safe,do they really deserve two race dates?

edv
9th June 2010, 22:57
There are trees behond those trees.There is no reason for every racetrack not to have a catchfence. There was an indycar driver named Jeff Krosnoff who had a terrible mishap with a tree which resulted in fatality. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. I'm not saying anything like that will happen but, nothing can ever be safe enough. All they need is a simple fence for crying out loud!
Krosnoff never hit any tree. It was the catchfencing under a bridge at Toronto 13 yrs ago.

00steven
9th June 2010, 23:51
[quote="edv"]Krosnoff never hit any tree. It was the catchfencing under a bridge at Toronto 13 yrs ago.[/quote

On July 14th,1996 with 3 laps to go in the Molsen Indy Toronto at Exibition Place Krosnoff died from injuries sustained in an accident. Krosnoff's car made wheel-to-wheel contact with the car of Stefan Johansson, sending it into the air, over a concrete barrier, and into the catch fencing lining the street course. The fence did not deflect the car enough to keep it from hitting a tree that was close to the track.

The violence of the accident left the car broken in half and sent the cockpit section back across the track. Even though the paramedics were there almost immediatley, Krosnoff was already dead after striking the tree.

Rest In Peace