PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Bruce McLaren

WRCfan
2nd June 2010, 15:10
Wanted to start a thread to honour another one of Formula One's fallen heroes.

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the passing of New Zealander Bruce McLaren. Tragically killed when testing his Can-Am car at Goodwood. Rear aero on the car came off causing the car to leave the track at full speed and slam into a flag marshall post. Bruce was killed instantly.

It may be 40 years since his death although the legacy lives on, the name is just as famous and well regarded as it ever was in New Zealand and I am sure all around the world.

Rest in peace Bruce, New Zealand's real 'speedy kiwi'.

30 August 1937 – 2 June 1970

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7775/16340354698765623859280.jpg

UltimateDanGTR
2nd June 2010, 18:07
RIP. He gave us a great legacy in the Mclaren team, and together with denny hulme the two greatest exploits from new zealand on the world motor racing stage.

A legend lives on in our memories.

F1boat
2nd June 2010, 18:55
RIP. I haven't watched him drive, but I know very well his team, one of the greatest in F1 history.

Easy Drifter
2nd June 2010, 23:16
He was one you never expected it to happen to. Very fast and smooth but always seemed to just leave a little margin for error.
A super nice person too. I knew him only slightly but he was always approachable.

steveaki13
2nd June 2010, 23:27
F1 has been shaped massively by his career and legacy.
Wouldn't be anything like the same without Bruce Mclaren. RIP.

Cooper_S
2nd June 2010, 23:34
Apart from lending his name to the team that still bares it, the actual success of the McLaren F1 team is down to Ron Dennis.

WRCfan
2nd June 2010, 23:59
F1 was just a part of what Bruce was about, dominating the Can-Am series with Hulme, and Revson, as well as racing at Indy. All pretty much happening around a similar timeframe.

Ron Dennis has shaped the modern McLaren team, although as a kiwi I think of Bruce and the historic 'McLaren orange' cars come to mind, as well as the M8D Can-Am cars...

Ari
3rd June 2010, 04:29
RIP.

I'm not a McLaren (team) fan but I appreciate their being in the sport and the incredible rivalry Ferrari have had with them over the years.

Thanks for all you gave Bruce!

RIP.

D28
3rd June 2010, 04:34
I'm shocked to realize it has been 40 years since that sad day. An intuitive engineer and set-up technician, I believe he was somewhat underestimated as a driver, especially in sportscars. He really could hound those Can-Am cars around Mosport as quickly as anyone. Around 1960, Cooper had 2 of the all time best engineering drivers on their F1 team, one of the reasons for their success.
R.I.P. Bruce.

WRCfan
3rd June 2010, 08:09
A great tribute to Bruce: http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialMcLarenVids#p/u/0/9ZHMjdzw0w0

A minute's noise. Firing up the old M8D Can-Am car as a tribute.

Love the noise...

ArrowsFA1
3rd June 2010, 10:08
Following the death of team-mate Timmy Mayer in 1964 Bruce McLaren said:

"The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren's own achievements, and those of the team that continues to carry his name, are there for all to see.

RIP.

ShiftingGears
3rd June 2010, 10:22
Following the death of team-mate Timmy Mayer in 1964 Bruce McLaren said:

Bruce McLaren's own achievements, and those of the team that continues to carry his name, are there for all to see.

RIP.

:up:

ArrowsFA1
3rd June 2010, 10:37
9ZHMjdzw0w0

On the 40th anniversary of Bruce McLaren's death, McLaren ran one of his old Can-Am cars at the MTC in Woking. What a glorious noise...turn up the volume!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/06/02/mclaren-hold-a-minutes-noise-for-team-founder/

Retro Formula 1
3rd June 2010, 11:42
RIP Bruce. What a wonderful noise.