PDA

View Full Version : Satisfaction of where you live...

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 22:22
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/05/31/14201166.html

The above link refers to a story in today's Toronto Sun I found very intriguing. People were surveyed if they were happy with where they lived in relation to their communities...in otherwards, do they like the city or town where they live? It was done in 23 nations, and The Netherleands lead the way with 85% of respondents were happy where they live, with Canada, Australia, India, Germany being the rest of the top 5, with American's being 6th with 74%.

Just thought it was interesting...and I guess it shows pride in where you live at a local level.

The poll was done by the Ipsos Social Research Institute.

Daniel
1st June 2010, 22:31
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/05/31/14201166.html

The above link refers to a story in today's Toronto Sun I found very intriguing. People were surveyed if they were happy with where they lived in relation to their communities...in otherwards, do they like the city or town where they live? It was done in 23 nations, and The Netherleands lead the way with 85% of respondents were happy where they live, with Canada, Australia, India, Germany being the rest of the top 5, with American's being 6th with 74%.

Just thought it was interesting...and I guess it shows pride in where you live at a local level.

The poll was done by the Ipsos Social Research Institute.
I always find these surveys a little silly because at the end they only measure how intelligent people are in realising that although the place where they live isn't perfect, it's a helluva lot better than other places.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd June 2010, 04:34
I always find these surveys a little silly because at the end they only measure how intelligent people are in realising that although the place where they live isn't perfect, it's a helluva lot better than other places.

It does tell you how happy people are with their lot in life though. You don't get the impression the average Dutchman would live anywhere else, and most Canadians love our land in spite of having to put up with winter.

I just thought it was weird seeing the Dutch at the top of the list, since they are a great little nation, but rarely do they top lists for standards of living or social satisfaction.

Roamy
2nd June 2010, 06:01
Ha just wait til the Kass Kopts are shining the Muslim's shoes in about 5 years

gadjo_dilo
2nd June 2010, 11:30
Too bad that Institute can't bother to come to Bucharest for the survey. They would have the surprise to get a percentage of 0% and I swear I'm very responsible when I claim this. Never thought that life could be so miserable and people so selfish.

F1boat
2nd June 2010, 17:50
I am not too happy about my country, but it would take a lot of convincing to move from it. I would prefer to live and work here, unless something very good comes as an opportunity, which to me seems unlikely.

Jag_Warrior
2nd June 2010, 19:47
Whenever I've been unhappy about where I lived... I moved. But now, as long as I don't have kids (crappy school system), the only way I'm leaving this place is feet first... on my journey to Boot Hill.

This is the song that I played at my house warming party several years ago... when I knew "This Must Be The Place".
TTPqPZzH-LA&feature=related

Happiness is relative and subjective - and it, like unhappiness, follows you: no matter where you go, there you are (and any other cliches you can think of). Find your spot and roll with it. But you can be happy most anywhere (unless someone is shooting at you or dropping bombs on your head).

Mark in Oshawa
2nd June 2010, 22:17
Too bad that Institute can't bother to come to Bucharest for the survey. They would have the surprise to get a percentage of 0% and I swear I'm very responsible when I claim this. Never thought that life could be so miserable and people so selfish.
Well this is what this was about. Canadians love their nation...but we do gripe about it at times...but when push comes to shove, we know we are lucky. No...fortunate. Our ancestors built a nation with rules, enforcement of them, and at the same time personal freedom.

Rani
2nd June 2010, 22:37
But you can be happy most anywhere (unless someone is shooting at you or dropping bombs on your head).
Life can be good, even in a place like that. :D

elis
3rd June 2010, 00:04
I've lived in several countries & found good things & not so good in all.. but I've always returned to my homeland (UK) & despite having a few major issues which personally irk me, (& which are present in pretty much every 'western' country), I do love being a Brit & am extemely happy with my location. I'm right by the sea, I can nip across to Ireland or the Continent for the weekend, North Africa & North America are within 8 hrs reach, I have 4 seasons, & on a whim I can do a day trip to Amsterdam to buy cheese :D *Couldn't give a hoot about holes in the road.. well as long as it's not as big as the one in Guatamala :crazy:

Daniel
3rd June 2010, 00:06
I've lived in several countries & found good things & not so good in all.. but I've always returned to my homeland (UK) & despite having a few major issues which personally irk me, (& which are present in pretty much every 'western' country), I do love being a Brit & am extemely happy with my location. I'm right by the sea, I can nip across to Ireland or the Continent for the weekend, North Africa & North America are within 8 hrs reach, I have 4 seasons, & on a whim I can do a day trip to Amsterdam to buy cheese :D *Couldn't give a hoot about holes in the road.. well as long as it's not as big as the one in Guatamala :crazy:
That's exactly how I feel about living in Britain though of course I'm native to Australia :p

If you don't like where you live in the UK then MOVE!!!! There seems to be this idea that Britain is bursting at the seams with people, not so! There's plenty of space out there, use it people!

gadjo_dilo
3rd June 2010, 07:15
If you don't like where you live in the UK then MOVE!!!! There seems to be this idea that Britain is bursting at the seams with people, not so! There's plenty of space out there, use it people!

We've got plenty of space here too. Problem is that everybody choose Bucharest and this city has become a crowd of ill-mannered people that make my life impossible.

F1boat
3rd June 2010, 10:03
We've got plenty of space here too. Problem is that everybody choose Bucharest and this city has become a crowd of ill-mannered people that make my life impossible.

Hah, same in Sofia! :D

Mark in Oshawa
3rd June 2010, 17:39
That's exactly how I feel about living in Britain though of course I'm native to Australia :p

We have lots of space...lol...the problem is the same dingbats who make things not work usually are elected in the space 400 miles away..lol.

So you muddle on through, and you try to change things, and it it works. Democracy works if you participate in it and have good ideas and support people who share them.

fandango
3rd June 2010, 17:51
People gripe and moan about things here in Barcelona, but on the whole it's a good place to live. I don't think I could ever go back to living in Ireland, though, where I'm from.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd June 2010, 18:11
People gripe and moan about things here in Barcelona, but on the whole it's a good place to live. I don't think I could ever go back to living in Ireland, though, where I'm from.

I would love to visit both. I think mentally I would adapt to Ireland a lot easier than Barcelona BUT I must admit the weather there and the relaxed way of life might not suck either...

There are a lot of people who would give their right arm to live in either society....

driveace
5th June 2010, 11:26
I find life here in the Uk is acceptable.I have made a good living here ,and as with all countrys if you get stuck in and work,you can have a nice way of life .We can get anywhere in the world easily,Europe easier than most.
I have a cousin staying over,he is from Powell River,you guys in Canada will know where this is ,to others its 5 hours by road above Vancouver,he loves it there but gets bored,so with his Volvo truck and smart car on the deck,towing his 38foot Okannagan trailer he heads south to Yuma every winter for 6 months.So its all about personal tastes,and we are all different,I realize it does help what the folks in your area are like too.
Horses for courses!!!!

fandango
5th June 2010, 16:46
I would love to visit both. I think mentally I would adapt to Ireland a lot easier than Barcelona BUT I must admit the weather there and the relaxed way of life might not suck either...

There are a lot of people who would give their right arm to live in either society....

So THAT'S who those people are. :)

It's funny how people sometimes say where they live is good because it's so easy to leave for somewhere else. Just a thought...

Mark in Oshawa
5th June 2010, 18:41
So THAT'S who those people are. :)

It's funny how people sometimes say where they live is good because it's so easy to leave for somewhere else. Just a thought...

Well it is ironic Fandango, but the truth of it is. We all like to have a change of pace. So living in a place where you are free to leave and come back, and have the freedom of really exploring the world with just the turn of the key in the car is exciting. I know if I hop in the car, 5 days later I can be eating dinner with my aunt in Chilliwack BC, or be in San Diego enjoying the sun in Winter. Or on a plane for a direct flight to almost any where worth naming from Toronto. Yet, I choose to stay because I like where I am, despite the winters.....

We humans are a funny lot, and we all have a place usually we call home, even if in a few of us, it just is a place in our minds and we travel. We all have a mental base geographically for the most part.....and with the luxury of freedom and prospertity, a few of us can pick and choose where to put our roots.