PDA

View Full Version : Leaving to the Army on Friday.

gloomyDAY
1st June 2010, 18:10
Hello everyone.

I'm about to take-off this Friday morning to Fort Knox, Kentucky and train to be an officer. I have had a life dream of being in the military ever since I was a child. We had air shows at the El Toro Air Base and my Dad used to take me as a kid to hang out with the Marines (get on the Humvee and play with the .50 cal) and watch the Blue Angels. I must admit that the experience proved infectious and I've always wanted to be part of the military.

Well, now I'm all grown up and am ready for a new adventure. I'm 23, just received a two year scholarship for the remainder of my studies, and will be competing this summer to get a spot in my line of work. I want to be an infantry officer and will fight hard to attain a spot as an active-duty soldier.

I don't know why, but I'll miss this place while I'm gone. Nothing but endless squabbling and childish banter, but I can't get enough of it for some peculiar reason. Anyway, enjoy the races and wish me luck! :D

Eki
1st June 2010, 18:27
Good luck. Get back alive and healthy.

Bob Riebe
1st June 2010, 18:46
Our personal rhetoric often clashed but God speed Gloomy.
Bob

Brown, Jon Brow
1st June 2010, 18:50
The best of luck to you.

Rani
1st June 2010, 19:00
I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself and the soldiers that will be under your command.

race aficionado
1st June 2010, 19:31
Fortunately you are using your free will to make this decision and it looks like you really want this.
I wish you the very best.
:)

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 19:48
Good luck to you and take care. Good on you for serving your country, and remember to always treat the men under you with care. No one follows a self-centered ticket punching weasel...but people will lay down their lives for a good man...

Jag_Warrior
1st June 2010, 19:49
Ah... to be young and to be looking forward instead of backwards. I envy you, Gloomy. :p

You take care of yourself. And since you'll be at Fort Knox, see if you can get me a small bar of that shiny stuff hey keep in storage. Send it UPS... I'll even pay for the postage.

Seriously, take care, be safe and learn all you can. :up:

fandango
1st June 2010, 19:56
I hope it's all you dreamed it to be. Best of luck, and pop in again from time to time.

Firstgear
1st June 2010, 21:13
Not much for surfing in Kentucky, you know.

Good luck & stay safe.

Daniel
1st June 2010, 21:17
Best of luck gloomy. Be sure to add a few of us on facebook and keep in touch. Come back safely and take care :)

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 22:15
Ya Gloomy, put a facebook name we can link to....

gloomyDAY
1st June 2010, 23:42
Thanks everyone. I had some good laughs reading through those posts.

I just got back home from meeting my commanding officer and doing my last PT test. Everything went well and all my paperwork is complete, so now it's time to shine over at Fort Knox (and rip off the good stuff for Jag).

My Facebook name is Jesus L. Leave me a message so I know it's from the forum and I'll gladly add your name.

Thanks again everyone.

Koz
2nd June 2010, 01:16
Good luck buddy! Have lots of fun!

airshifter
2nd June 2010, 02:18
I lived just outside of El Toro when my father was flying F-4s and OV-10s out of there, and no doubt those experiences influenced my decision to enlist in the military later in life. I can honestly say that among the many things I would change in my life if given a chance, the 8 years I spent in a Marine Corps uniform is not one of them.

You will get a chance to see what brotherhood beyond the comprehension of most is about, to travel the world, and despite what many claim, often see a great gratitude from those you help in your travels.

Godspeed and safe travels in your adventure Gloomy.

anthonyvop
2nd June 2010, 02:34
4 pieces of advice

1: Never volunteer for anything
2: Get some sleep whenever you can...even if it is for 10 mins
3: Keep your head on a swivel
4: Stay Frosty.

Remember you are going to be part of the greatest fighting force in the history of the Human Race.....Make us proud.

harvick#1
2nd June 2010, 03:20
Good Luck Gloomy and stay safe!!!!

markabilly
2nd June 2010, 03:45
The army life is fun...unless you find yourself butt deep in a war

I loved it ...for awhile...

Roamy
2nd June 2010, 06:04
Hello everyone.

I'm about to take-off this Friday morning to Fort Knox, Kentucky and train to be an officer. I have had a life dream of being in the military ever since I was a child. We had air shows at the El Toro Air Base and my Dad used to take me as a kid to hang out with the Marines (get on the Humvee and play with the .50 cal) and watch the Blue Angels. I must admit that the experience proved infectious and I've always wanted to be part of the military.

Well, now I'm all grown up and am ready for a new adventure. I'm 23, just received a two year scholarship for the remainder of my studies, and will be competing this summer to get a spot in my line of work. I want to be an infantry officer and will fight hard to attain a spot as an active-duty soldier.

I don't know why, but I'll miss this place while I'm gone. Nothing but endless squabbling and childish banter, but I can't get enough of it for some peculiar reason. Anyway, enjoy the races and wish me luck! :D

My Hat is off to you.
My prayers are with you
Thank you for what you are doing.
fousto

Sonic
2nd June 2010, 08:17
Good luck man. Pop in from time to time to let us know how you are getting on :)

Peace and love.

F1boat
2nd June 2010, 08:21
Good luck and stay safe!

Mark
2nd June 2010, 09:17
Good luck!
Officer training eh! So you'll be the one giving the orders! Good stuff.

Rudy Tamasz
2nd June 2010, 13:47
I'm sure chicks will like you in your uniform. ;) Good luck man and do your service with pride and dignity!

Storm
2nd June 2010, 13:58
Good luck gloomyDAY...does that mean you miss the world cup? :p :

I always wanted to be an army officer too but my eyesight+parents came in the way.

WTH is with this Roamy stuff, is that really fousto? I must have been asleep when that happened. (or out looking for tigers, which I was last week :) )

Mark in Oshawa
2nd June 2010, 14:17
I added you Gloomy on Facebook. Good luck once again...

Captain VXR
2nd June 2010, 18:37
Good luck man

Eki
2nd June 2010, 19:56
(or out looking for tigers, which I was last week :) )
Did you find any?

airshifter
3rd June 2010, 01:24
.. and just in case nobody has warned you Gloomy. Make sure to learn them early, and stay "brushed up" on your interservice and international service jokes. They will be needed on a regular basis.

Back to the more serious side, I originally intended to go into the Army before joining the Marines. I had talked to a recruiter, checked out the fields and everything. Then one day the recruiter called with some bad news.

It seems I was considered ineligible for the Army. I had scored too high on one of the tests. :D

anthonyvop
3rd June 2010, 02:36
It seems I was considered ineligible for the Army. I had scored too high on one of the tests. :D

What happens to a soldier when he starts to believe his own B.S.?
He becomes a marine.

A sailor in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, ''Wanna hear a MARINE joke?''

The guy next to him replies, ''Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 200 lbs, and I'm a MARINE. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2'' tall, weighs 225, and he's a MARINE. The fella next to him is 6'5'' tall, weighs 250, and he's also a MARINE. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?''

The sailor says, ''Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times.''

Do you know what "Marine" stands for?

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Storm
3rd June 2010, 07:59
Did you find any?
OT, unfortunately no, but a safari group saw one just as we left, so it was close.

AAReagles
3rd June 2010, 16:10
Hello everyone.

I'm about to take-off this Friday morning to Fort Knox, Kentucky and train to be an officer. I have had a life dream of being in the military ever since I was a child…. I've always wanted to be part of the military.

Well, now I'm all grown up and am ready for a new adventure. I'm 23, just received a two year scholarship for the remainder of my studies, and will be competing this summer to get a spot in my line of work. I want to be an infantry officer and will fight hard to attain a spot as an active-duty soldier… enjoy the races and wish me luck! :D

From what little I seen of exchange of posts, you’ve held your mud (composure) – so you’ll do just fine I’m sure. Looks like you already received some helpful suggestions, particularly this bit here…

… remember to always treat the men under you with care. No one follows a self-centered ticket punching weasel...but people will lay down their lives for a good man...

… that’s sound advice there. Certainly from my experience at least.

Not sure what to add but I’ll suggest this – trust your gut instincts. That goes for either combat zones or civilian life in the ‘Real World.’ No technological gadget is capable of replacing that.

Also, you may want to think about starting a journal sometime. Not while you’re in basic training or AIT, but perhaps during airborne school at least – which will happen since you’re going to become an officer in the infantry. Whether or not you’ll eventually write a book or something, you’ll at least have some fond, hilarious people/situations to reflect on... to contribute to family and friends, if not some future writing ambition.

Anyways, best of luck to you! :up:

gloomyDAY
3rd June 2010, 16:50
Thanks again everyone. I take off tomorrow morning at 0645 local time, so less than 24 hours to go. I just popped out of the shower after an easy 3-mile run and feel pretty refreshed and ready to go. I'm looking at my bed right now and just about everything is packed, but I might have to make a run to Target and buy a few little things.

I'll meet up with my CO later today and get my final orders. Those butterflies are really starting to kick around in my stomach. I'm nervous, but confident that I'll do well this summer.

@ AAReagles: Yes, I was thinking about writing a journal, but it will have to be basic pen and paper. I don't want to take a laptop or any unnecessary equipment because it's something less to worry about while I'm training. Also, Airborne or Air Assault is the direction I want to head in for my career. Fingers crossed, I'll be in Airborne school by next summer.

Farewell everyone. See you when I get back.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd June 2010, 17:34
Thanks again everyone. I take off tomorrow morning at 0645 local time, so less than 24 hours to go. I just popped out of the shower after an easy 3-mile run and feel pretty refreshed and ready to go. I'm looking at my bed right now and just about everything is packed, but I might have to make a run to Target and buy a few little things.

I'll meet up with my CO later today and get my final orders. Those butterflies are really starting to kick around in my stomach. I'm nervous, but confident that I'll do well this summer.

@ AAReagles: Yes, I was thinking about writing a journal, but it will have to be basic pen and paper. I don't want to take a laptop or any unnecessary equipment because it's something less to worry about while I'm training. Also, Airborne or Air Assault is the direction I want to head in for my career. Fingers crossed, I'll be in Airborne school by next summer.

Farewell everyone. See you when I get back.

Airborne? You want to jump out of servicable aircraft before you get shot at? Boy..you really are a goer aint ya? Just teasing man, you will do well.....

AAReagles
3rd June 2010, 17:52
... Yes, I was thinking about writing a journal, but it will have to be basic pen and paper...
Yeah, that's what I meant - sorry, I should have clarified myself a bit. :blackeye:

Also, Airborne or Air Assault is the direction I want to head in for my career.

You'll do both if you're going to make a career of it. Plus Ranger training... so have fun fighting over the packet of sugar and toilet paper as a concoction (cotton candy) for supper. :) You might think I'm kiddin', but I'm not. Which is why I'm glad I stayed RA (Regular Army).

gloomyDAY
6th July 2010, 19:52
Back home!

I got here on the eve of this great country's Independence and all I did was sleep. I have done nothing but wake up early in the morning to exercise, sleep, eat, sleep, poop, and sleep. I got more sleep on the flight home from Fort Knox to John Wayne than I did in the previous two days.

My training was demanding but I loved the entire experience. We did more activities from 4-11 in the morning than most Americans did for their entire week. That includes PT, breakfast, shower, morning class, and lunch.

The amount of food I was shoving down my throat was immense. I was burning at least 3,000 Calories or more per day. The drill sergeants would stalk around the chow hall making sure everyone was stuffing their face in order to procure enough energy for the day's madness.

Highlight: Rappelling down a wall, then, tactically rappelling down the very same wall. No fear, just pure thrills. I loved every second and I can't wait for Air Assault school next summer, or even later this summer!

Low-light: Trying to take a piss during a ruck march. I had to run ahead of the formation with all of my equipment, find a spot, piss while wetting the front of my pants with DSs yelling at me, then running over to find my spot in formation.

If anything I wish I could do it all over again. I learned a lot, and if I know what I do now, then Leaders' Training Course would have been a breeze. I'll be receiving my scholarship soon and contracting with the U.S. Army to be an officer.

Life is good.

race aficionado
6th July 2010, 21:27
Back home!

Life is good.

Nothing gloomy about your post.
Good for you man!
:s mokin:

Tazio
6th July 2010, 21:35
Let's hook-up soldier! I'm buying! :eek: :p :

Jag_Warrior
6th July 2010, 21:41
Congratulations, Gloomy. So while you're in school over the next two years, what will your military obligations be?

gloomyDAY
7th July 2010, 02:16
Nothing gloomy about your post.
Good for you man!
:s mokin:Yes, my summer has finally started!
I need to make up for lost time. :D

Let's hook-up soldier! I'm buying! :eek: :p :I'll be in your backyard this Thursday.

Congratulations, Gloomy. So while you're in school over the next two years, what will your military obligations be?I have a meeting tomorrow with my officer and do some paperwork. After contracting I'll be committed to being at PT 3 times a week during the school year and attending military classes 2 times a week over the course of two years. Obviously that does not include additional training such as LDAC, Air Assault school, Airborne school, etc. that happen every summer.

If I go infantry, which is very likely, then I'll do Ranger school as well. My second option is aviation, but I need corrective lenses. If I can get the surgery and ditch the glasses, then I'll do aviation in a heartbeat.

harvick#1
7th July 2010, 02:42
congrats gloomy, your doing badass job, send me a pm for facebook, if your ever in the chicagoland area, I owe you some beers

Eki
7th July 2010, 10:53
uAgJpDCI-lI