PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Texas??

Chaparral66
28th May 2010, 07:44
Is this gonna work, a state of the art F1 level racetrack in Austin Texas? Where you can get a great steak, but caviar may be hard to find. I don't remember seeing how this 10 year deal is going to get financed...

Ari
28th May 2010, 07:48
Already a fair bit of discussion about this in this thread of which the title no longer is relevant.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138394

SGWilko
28th May 2010, 09:53
I much preferred the Allegro.......

UltimateDanGTR
28th May 2010, 10:17
I much preferred the Allegro.......

speak for yourself.

gloomyDAY
28th May 2010, 19:10
Is this gonna work, a state of the art F1 level racetrack in Austin Texas? Where you can get a great steak, but caviar may be hard to find. I don't remember seeing how this 10 year deal is going to get financed...I think that is what will set Austin apart from the rest of the tracks. If there is an exciting track built by Tilke (don't laugh it can happen), then Americans can see a good display of F1 cars. They'll come back for more and since American folk are more casual, then Austin is the perfect venue.

None of that fancy crap! Grade A steak and RARE.

Tazio
28th May 2010, 19:19
I think that is what will set Austin apart from the rest of the tracks. If there is an exciting track built by Tilke (don't laugh it can happen), then Americans can see a good display of F1 cars. They'll come back for more and since American folk are more casual, then Austin is the perfect venue.

None of that fancy crap! Grade A steak and RARE.

Blood Rare!!

keysersoze
28th May 2010, 20:08
Blood Rare!!

Back in my food service days I once witnessed a customer eat an uncooked T-Bone.--straight from the meat case and onto his plate. However, before he would eat it he had to baste it with a lot of melted butter. :eek:

This was in Dallas.

Tazio
28th May 2010, 20:24
Back in my food service days I once witnessed a customer eat an uncooked T-Bone.--straight from the meat case and onto his plate. However, before he would eat it he had to baste it with a lot of melted butter. :eek:

This was in Dallas.

I prefer mine to be walked over the coals briefly.
Nothing wrong with eating raw beef!
Carne Cruda or Carne all'Albese, and Carpaccio are to die for!

anthonyvop
29th May 2010, 03:56
Is this gonna work, a state of the art F1 level racetrack in Austin Texas? Where you can get a great steak, but caviar may be hard to find.

Have you even been to Austin?

It is by far, a much more sophisticated city than the backwater 'burg the last USPG was held at.

Easy Drifter
29th May 2010, 04:56
When it stops going moo it is cooked.
Back in prehistoric times (early 1970's) in Edmonton Oliver's advertised anyone who could eat a 74 oz. (4 lb.) steak dinner ate for free. It was basically 4 complete 16 oz steak dinners. The steak, a salad, potato and vegatables times 4. I do not think buns were included.
Edmonton was a cattle town, oil rigger town, Alaska highway town and lumberjack town. Actually a fair sized city but still sort of frontier.
They only got beaten about once every two years and it was always a lumberjack. It was the vegs and potato that stopped most people.

Roamy
29th May 2010, 05:54
I prefer mine to be walked over the coals briefly.
Nothing wrong with eating raw beef!
Carne Cruda or Carne all'Albese, and Carpaccio are to die for!

I just knock the horns off and wipes it's ass :)

call_me_andrew
29th May 2010, 07:02
I prefer my meat cooked. If I want to eat a wet sponge, I'll eat a wet sponge.

Ent
29th May 2010, 07:39
I had beef sashimi once when I used to live in Japan, and, while edible, was not the most enjoyable meal I've ever had. Cooked just enough that it isn't squishy in substance, though, is great.

I hope they make a good track for the F1 in Texas. There are so many nondescript, boring tracks out there now that all look the same and we don't want another one.

steveaki13
31st May 2010, 18:01
I like a good Beef thread, too long since the last Cow to your plate discussion. :laugh:

Chaparral66
31st May 2010, 18:21
Actually, like Andrew, I like my beef cooked. No red at all, but juicy (it CAN be done) and properly marinated.

I've never been to Austin but I have been to Dallas and Texas is a great place, just wondering how F1 will play down there. And my question still stands: how are they going to finance the building of the racetrack and accompanying facilities? Again, I wouldn't want a repeat of USF1 here, literally putting the cart before the horse.

markabilly
31st May 2010, 19:21
Actually, like Andrew, I like my beef cooked. No red at all, but juicy (it CAN be done) and properly marinated.

I've never been to Austin but I have been to Dallas and Texas is a great place, just wondering how F1 will play down there. And my question still stands: how are they going to finance the building of the racetrack and accompanying facilities? Again, I wouldn't want a repeat of USF1 here, literally putting the cart before the horse.

do not know until they do.

talk is cheap

my thought is that it might have been better to build it closer to dallas or houston....and not try to repeat the mistake of the old facility at college station in the 1960's....

something of a good facility in its time but built in a central location so far from the big cities with the idea pepole from houston, dallas austin, san antonio would all travel about the same 100 to 200 miles and go......, BUT instead of all the big city folks going, nobody went...... :(

and the dallas f1 race was a flop......attendance wise....

But truth is that f1 is becoming more and more of a tv revenue thing, where Turkey with its 155k seats in the stands and maybe 20k actually paying to go, still put money in BE's pocket from sponsors and tv fees....

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2010, 19:48
Other than the members here who live near Austin, does anyone else here see much of a chance of attending this race (if it ever happens)? I would have preferred Vegas, but not knowing much about Austin, maybe it would be a good one to check out... unless the hotels try to thoroughly rape people for that weekend. Paying a bit more is expected. But paying 5 or 6 times the normal rate is robbery and I won't do it.

airshifter
31st May 2010, 20:16
Other than the members here who live near Austin, does anyone else here see much of a chance of attending this race (if it ever happens)? I would have preferred Vegas, but not knowing much about Austin, maybe it would be a good one to check out... unless the hotels try to thoroughly rape people for that weekend. Paying a bit more is expected. But paying 5 or 6 times the normal rate is robbery and I won't do it.

I'll be going within the first couple of years if they build the track. I could care less where it's at if they build a decent track. I hated the Indy track and postponed going, but I would have made it there if the race stayed.

wmcot
1st June 2010, 07:04

I'll probably go the first year and see if it's worth it. There are a lot of great tracks in places I'd rather go.

Then again, I'm a bit biased. My company is based in Texas so I don't think too kindly of the state!! :( (I reckon...)

gloomyDAY
1st June 2010, 18:23
I'll go if a racetrack is actually built in Austin. Why not?

Flights are pretty cheap out of LAX/O.C. to Texas, so it won't be too bad.
I'm sure there are hostels where I can stay as well.

Firstgear
1st June 2010, 19:34
Other than the members here who live near Austin, does anyone else here see much of a chance of attending this race (if it ever happens)?
I'd probably go once with the family & camper just to check it out. Sounds like a nice excuse to visit Texas - never been. It's closer for me than Montreal. Also might consider going with a couple of buddies - but only once or twice, not every year.

Mark in Oshawa
1st June 2010, 20:28
I would go if I had the chance. Texas is America's best bits with the volume turned up, and Austin is about the coolest city there.

AS for steak but not caviar, dream on. Politcians, even ones in Texas like to eat well, and so do the people who lobby them. You know the f1 crowd will find the food they like there. Caviar aint a problem trust me. But why eat it when you can eat steak or TexMex?

Placid
2nd June 2010, 15:02
I would go if I had the chance. Texas is America's best bits with the volume turned up, and Austin is about the coolest city there.

AS for steak but not caviar, dream on. Politcians, even ones in Texas like to eat well, and so do the people who lobby them. You know the f1 crowd will find the food they like there. Caviar aint a problem trust me. But why eat it when you can eat steak or TexMex?

Tell that to future promoter Jerry Jones.

markabilly
4th June 2010, 14:08
not to repeat myself, but disappointed at this news in the two us gp thread......http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=802948&postcount=15

nigelred5
4th June 2010, 16:36
But paying 5 or 6 times the normal rate is robbery and I won't do it.

100% why we stopped going to the USGP in Indy. Last time there we showed up at the Day's INN north of the track with our reservation we had confirmed less than a week before the race. The manager refused to honor our guaranteed rate we had booked the week after the race a year prior, claiming a change in management of the hotel. Teh new rate was $300 a night, three night min. Then he told us there were no vacancies anyway, so we were out of luck. So much for a guaranteed reservation in hand, which HAD been charged to our credit card. We ended up paying $140 for a room with a posted rate of $19 at a Knights Inn on the east side of town. If I hadn't have had tickets already, I would have went home. We did consider selling them on the street, but front stretch grandstand tickets were selling for $20 a pair at that point.

I'll be going, but I have family I'll be staying with in the area with far better accomodations than a hotel anyway.

You can keep the caviar. I'll stick with my medium rare angus porterhouse or maybe a nice plate of carnitas, some fresh tortillas and a couple Shiners thank you.

Mia 01
4th June 2010, 17:35
I´m not so sure there will be a race in America so soon.

nigelred5
4th June 2010, 18:31
Well, if you follow the money as Bernie and F1 always do, you're gonna end up in Oil country. None larger than Texas in this country, where the economy isn't nearly as bad as many areas of the US. Don't mistake Austin for Hillbilly Country.