PDA

View Full Version : Help Desks - Please press 7

Rollo
25th May 2010, 03:19
I am currently trying to re-programme a PABX system; the problem is that the company which originally installed the system no longer supports it and now sends support calls of to "Help Desks"

What really gets my hackles, heckles, feckles, and schmeckles up is that it's no longer to talk to an actual person without going through a myriad of telephone menu options.
Press 3, then press 5, to speak to the next menu press 9... even then I've found an answering machine.

Are there real people in companies anymore who can actually answer real phone calls anymore?
And another thing: Does anyone realise that if my interwebs are down and I need help to get more internets, that I can't actually look at a website for help if my internets are down?

This is Madness... THIS IS SPARTA!!! - well it would be, but I have to press 3, then press 5, then 9 to speak to the next menu...

Tazio
25th May 2010, 04:40
Neo,
Welcome back to the matrix! It's really bad here in the States (if such a place really exists). I really hate how they are all voice recognition now! (Do you think that's a phone your talking into)?
At any rate I feel your pain.
Sucks bro!
later
T

Mark
25th May 2010, 08:41
I hear you! It's a right pain. I've tried to call Premier Inn recently as I just want a room with a sofa in, which for some inexplicable reason you can't book on the website. It's really difficult to get past the automated voice recognition system.

I've found you basically have to say nothing then after about 5 times of it asking you to repeat, it puts you through to someone real!

Daniel
25th May 2010, 12:30
Working in an IT department we have a helpdesk. Fat lot of good they are with no training though :mark: We end up getting faults through like PC not working, can't log on and so on :mark: A telephone system sending you round in circles would be just as useful/useless :p

Mark
25th May 2010, 12:34
At work I have to log fault calls with our hardware support contractors. The guys who actually repair the equipment are mega l33t guru's. But the woman who answers the phone knows nothing. So saying something like "Our DS4100 RAID array has a controller battery failure and a drive with loss of path redundancy". Takes a good while..!

Daniel
25th May 2010, 12:43
At work I have to log fault calls with our hardware support contractors. The guys who actually repair the equipment are mega l33t guru's. But the woman who answers the phone knows nothing. So saying something like "Our DS4100 RAID array has a controller battery failure and a drive with loss of path redundancy". Takes a good while..!
At least one of you knows what's going on though. Two people who don't know what's wrong logging a fault is a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes you get **** like "Can't log on"

Can't log on why? Does the PC not turn on? Does the keyboard not work? Can the PC not see the Novell tree? Is the user dead?

Grrrrrr, I'm quite happy when I'm out of the office doing project work as I'm given tasks and just do what I need to do to get them done.

walrus81
25th May 2010, 12:51
At least one of you knows what's going on though. Two people who don't know what's wrong logging a fault is a recipe for disaster.

Sometimes you get **** like "Can't log on"

Can't log on why? Does the PC not turn on? Does the keyboard not work? Can the PC not see the Novell tree? Is the user dead?
You then get the guys with "broken cup holders".

Daniel
25th May 2010, 13:04
You then get the guys with "broken cup holders".
Sadly that's not a joke :mark:

The best way in my experience of telling that someone is a noob is if they've got their mouse inbetween them and their keyboard rather than by the side of the keyboard. That and having the resolution on an LCD monitor set so it's not the native resolution :mark:

MrJan
25th May 2010, 13:46
Sadly that's not a joke :mark:

The best way in my experience of telling that someone is a noob is if they've got their mouse inbetween them and their keyboard rather than by the side of the keyboard. That and having the resolution on an LCD monitor set so it's not the native resolution :mark:

Ahem http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/whistling.gif

I nearly always work with my mouse in front of the keyboard. I use the laptop screen and a seperate monitor so spend lots of time moving the mouse between the two and find it easier if it's right in front of me. Also I have such a chaotic desk that it's about the only bit of space that the mouse will fit in :laugh:

Daniel
25th May 2010, 13:58
Ahem http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/whistling.gif

I nearly always work with my mouse in front of the keyboard. I use the laptop screen and a seperate monitor so spend lots of time moving the mouse between the two and find it easier if it's right in front of me. Also I have such a chaotic desk that it's about the only bit of space that the mouse will fit in :laugh:
n00b!!!!!! :p

Eki
25th May 2010, 14:00

MrJan
25th May 2010, 14:06
n00b!!!!!! :p

I use 'caps lock' instead of 'shift' too :D

Daniel
25th May 2010, 14:07
That's ubern00b stuff :p

MrJan
25th May 2010, 14:34
That's ubern00b stuff :p

I'm mostly self taught with using computers so never really learnt what shift was for, by the time I found out I was too used to using caps lock. Not really got a problem with it, I find it just as easy and it doesn't really affect my typing speed.

Daniel
25th May 2010, 14:57
As long as you get by it's all good. I do a lot of things the "wrong" way but because I'm used to it I'm almost as fast doing it the wrong way as I am doing it the right way.