PDA

View Full Version : Are SEAT Ibizas any good?

Mark
24th May 2010, 12:09
The wife is thinking of getting one. Probably 1 year old < 10k miles.
Are they any good, anything to look out for?

Robinho
24th May 2010, 12:43
they are supposed to be quite a decent little car, basically a polo wrapped in (slightly) cheaper clothing. i've heard the interiors seem a bit squeaky and plasticky but i think thats just what you get on small cars in general.

i beleive they drive pretty well, nothing too exciting, but the missus would probably get on pretty well with one i'd expect.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 12:44
Bah. Get a Fiat 500 :p They're the bestest :p

With my Fiat zealot hat on I'd say to go for a Grande Punto, Punto Evo or even a Bravo. Bravo's are stupidly underrated so depreciate badly in the first year or so and they're a well put together car :)

As always I don't think VAG products are as good as people make out, I'd buy a Ford over a VAG car :p

Robinho
24th May 2010, 12:47
if your going down the VAG route tho, best go for a Seat or Skoda, that way your paying for the car not the badge. the little Fiats are pretty good at the moment too

Daniel
24th May 2010, 12:52
if your going down the VAG route tho, best go for a Seat or Skoda, that way your paying for the car not the badge. the little Fiats are pretty good at the moment too
I'd agree with that. No point in paying VW prices for something you can get cheaper as a Seat or Skoda :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realised that Fiat's are good at the moment. To be fair though most of the stuff they made before the Panda was utter rubbish. I would seriously look at Bravo's Mark, they shouldn't be too costly and you'll get a lot more car for your money.

Mark
24th May 2010, 13:08
I would seriously look at Bravo's Mark, they shouldn't be too costly and you'll get a lot more car for your money.

Well it's not up to me! And I think it's more about the general feel of the car and brand more than bare numbers!

Was just checking to make sure that an Ibiza wouldn't be a disastrous purchase!

I had the previous model on hire in Spain last year and it had a 1.9 TDi engine and it would literally rip your entire face off every time you accelerated.. But I think Karen is looking at the more sedate 1.2 petrol versions.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 13:19
Well it's not up to me! And I think it's more about the general feel of the car and brand more than bare numbers!

Was just checking to make sure that an Ibiza wouldn't be a disastrous purchase!

I had the previous model on hire in Spain last year and it had a 1.9 TDi engine and it would literally rip your entire face off every time you accelerated.. But I think Karen is looking at the more sedate 1.2 petrol versions.
The Bravo has a really really nice quality interior.

http://www.portalcoches.net/www/images/contenidos/revista/reportajes/bravo_interior.jpg

Also in the price range might be a Mito as well which IMHO has a fantastic interior.

Mark
24th May 2010, 13:20
She doesn't want a Bravo :p . She wants a SEAT Ibiza :p

Daniel
24th May 2010, 13:24
Yes but she wanted a 206 before and we know how that ended up ;)

It's always worth pointing out the alternative choices and that you can get more for your money :)

Mark
24th May 2010, 13:29
Yes but she wanted a 206 before and we know how that ended up ;)

Actually she wanted a Renault Clio, but ended up with a 206!

Iain
24th May 2010, 13:33
Should've asked me, I have owned two over the past six years you know. :p :

Which version are you after, the current generation, aka the MK5?

Daniel
24th May 2010, 13:37
Actually she wanted a Renault Clio, but ended up with a 206!
Clio's are a bucket of bolts too. Like I said VAG cars aren't as trouble free as people make out. I've known a few people with them and they've had problems. Caroline's brothers Fabia was a piece of poop. That's not to say they're a bad car but the whole made/engineered in Germany thing isn't the fantastic thing it used to be in the past. Have a look at the competition, it never hurts ;)

wedge
24th May 2010, 14:39

Which one in particular were you looking at?

Worth noting that VAG engines were over rated and poor reliability in the last decade.

I was thinking of getting the 1.8 turbos but they suffered coilpack failures.

Built quality is crap in Seats. Water ingress and rear washer pipe/plumbing needs fixing.

Mark
24th May 2010, 14:48
Which one in particular were you looking at?

Don't know, which is kind of why I posted the thread. She just wants a car with 5 doors, A/C, some sort of connection for iPod / MP3 for around £8-9k

MrJan
24th May 2010, 14:50
Am I the only child that's giggling everytime someone mentions VAG? :cheese:

Just to change the record, sod VAG, go Jap :D

Mark
24th May 2010, 14:54
Clio's are a bucket of bolts too.

We hired a 1.2 Clio in Madeira. Reasonably nice interior, and not too bad to drive. But my god, so underpowered!

Granted the 'motorway' on Madeira is a bit hillier than your average one, but it really struggled to get up to the speed limit of 100km/h, which when you consider it's only 60mph then that's not great! Although it did manage it when going down hill! Had to use third gear and rev the nuts off it to get it to climb!

Having said that on the really hilly stuff going less than 30mph it was ok and pulled up the slopes just fine. Although very squeaky brakes on the way down but the hire car dude said that's normal for Maderia cars - which I can understand, you're either going up a steep hill or going down a steep hill there, there's nowt else :p

wedge
24th May 2010, 14:57
Not sure if this would help but my list of 7 year old cars, other than Ibiza was:

Fiesta Zetec S - bottom of the list for being a badge snob more than performance!

Hyundai Coupe - lacks engine efficiency for performance/running costs.

Honda Civic Type S (EP) - so close to buying this because its cheap to run this car with 160bhp but looked too much like MPV.

I ended up with with the FWD Toyota Celica. Lacking in the performance department (140BHP) but looks great, handles great and damn good boot space for a coupe!

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 15:11
Bah. Get a Fiat 500 :p

How about a PINK Fiat 500? :D

http://www.gizmodiva.com/entry_images/0309/04/Fiat-500_Barbie_Edition_2.jpg

You know who drives them... :uhoh:

Daniel
24th May 2010, 15:14
Shhhhh Langdale forest! We don't talk about that.

Mark
24th May 2010, 15:18
If the Ka or FIAT 500 had come in a 5 door version she might have considered that.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 15:31
They do. Tis callled a Panda :p for the money she's talking you could get a brand spanking new Panda 100hp which is the top of the range 1.4 which is quite nippy indeed :) Has a bodykit so it looks much better than a normal Panda and comes with climate control, alloys etc etc

Daniel
24th May 2010, 15:46
Oh and there is a 5 door Fiat 500 coming out in the future as well.

wedge
24th May 2010, 16:13
They do. Tis callled a Panda :p for the money she's talking you could get a brand spanking new Panda 100hp which is the top of the range 1.4 which is quite nippy indeed :) Has a bodykit so it looks much better than a normal Panda and comes with climate control, alloys etc etc

The bodykit is nothing special apart from a ridiculously fake diffuser!

The rear suspension is unrefined and power steering failure is common complaint.

If you don't mind entertaining kids by dressing up as Postman Pat with the awkward/fugly styling its a great handling car.

There's an ace Italian exhaust which is imported from a company in Yorkshire, which crackles throttle lift/over run.

KVL8NBKcEU

pino
24th May 2010, 16:27

Tell her to go and have a ride on a Bravo...she will change mind on the Ibiza ;)

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 16:45
Shhhhh Langdale forest! We don't talk about that.

hmm, I think you would like pink interior.... :p

http://www.automotorblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fiat-500-so-pink-4.jpg

Daniel
24th May 2010, 16:46
Errrr wedge it's a lot more than a fake diffuser (are any diffusers on road cars anything more than decoration?). You get arches, a littlle rear spoiler, a nicer bumper and grille. It's a very different looking car to the other Panda's.

Power steering failure is NOT a common complaint either. A couple of people did have issues but this was linked to a faulty batch of power steering units and these were replaced out of warranty by Fiat as a sign of goodwill. The rear suspension isn't the best to be fair, it's the same setup as on my 500 and as long as you aren't silly it's fine.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 17:19
Tell her to go and have a ride on a Bravo...she will change mind on the Ibiza ;)
Now that both you and I have said that you just know he's going to tell her to go for a Seat :p

pino
24th May 2010, 17:48
Now that both you and I have said that you just know he's going to tell her to go for a Seat :p

Too bad for her then :p :

GridGirl
24th May 2010, 17:49
I quite like the new shape Ibiza. Have you thought about a Mito or a i30? For what it's worth I think they are both quite good looking smaller cars. I don't know if you can get them for £9k though.

Daniel, do you get discount off you car payments for giving Fiat so much free advertising? :p

Langdale Forest
24th May 2010, 18:04
I don't know if you can get them for £9k though.

You can get a new Porudua Kelisa for around 5k. :p

wI2MpcIiO6A

Donney
24th May 2010, 18:42
My brother has had one Ibiza 1.9 for 7 years now and so far he has had no problems with the little Car. It is not fun to drive or brilliant in any aspect, but it is cheap to run, comfortable enough and it drives quite well.

Mark
24th May 2010, 19:12
Thanks Donney for the only useful post in this entire thread :D

Daniel
24th May 2010, 19:23
I quite like the new shape Ibiza. Have you thought about a Mito or a i30? For what it's worth I think they are both quite good looking smaller cars. I don't know if you can get them for £9k though.

Daniel, do you get discount off you car payments for giving Fiat so much free advertising? :p

Nah, I just like to reccomend good cars to people rather than bland overpriced german crap ;)

AndyRAC
24th May 2010, 21:20
Actually, a lot of the car magazines really rate the Panda 100BHP - it's meant to be great fun.
I did have a Ibiza for 10 years, a Cupra Sport 2.0 GTI -great value for money, I would imagine the new one would be a lot better than the one I had. Both Seat and Skoda are no longer cheap to buy, as is usual with VAG cars.

Rollo
24th May 2010, 21:28
If the Ka or FIAT 500 had come in a 5 door version she might have considered that.

The 5 door version of the Ka Mk 1 is basicall the 5 door version of the Fiesta Mk4-5... except that the Fiesta has a bigger engine. The current Fiesta is really quite good.

As always I don't think VAG products are as good as people make out,
The current Seat Ibiza shares the VAG PQ25(?) platform with the Polo Mk5. The VW Polo won the European Car of the Year for 2010.
http://www.caroftheyear.org/

If you want to shoot for a 1.4L car about that size then:

Polo Mk5 - 1.4L 85bhp
Mazda 2 DE - 1.4L 101bhp
Fiesta 1.4L - 96bhp
Swift 1.5L - 98bhp
Yaris 1.5L - 110bhp
207 - 1.6L 115bhp

We've been looking at replacing a Skyline for Mrs Rollo; what I find a little odd is that power is still an issue.

Sonic
24th May 2010, 21:32
My whole family runs SEAT's. My Sis and Mum both have current Gen Ibiza's and they are solid little cars. Not quite VW standard of build quality but you do have to look pretty damn hard to see where the costs have been kept down.

Both have been reliable and my only quibble with them is a slightly detatched feel at speed as the power steering doesn't weight up - which is strange because our Altea is the great fun to chuck about.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 21:32
The 5 door version of the Ka Mk 1 is basicall the 5 door version of the Fiesta Mk4-5... except that the Fiesta has a bigger engine. The current Fiesta is really quite good.

The current Seat Ibiza shares the VAG PQ25(?) platform with the Polo Mk5. The VW Polo won the European Car of the Year for 2010.
http://www.caroftheyear.org/

If you want to shoot for a 1.4L car about that size then:

Polo Mk5 - 1.4L 85bhp
Mazda 2 DE - 1.4L 101bhp
Fiesta 1.4L - 96bhp
Swift 1.5L - 98bhp
Yaris 1.5L - 110bhp
207 - 1.6L 115bhp

We've been looking at replacing a Skyline for Mrs Rollo; what I find a little odd is that power is still an issue.
Yes but eCOTY is a load of BS :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Car_of_the_Year

Look at some of those winners and runners up and you'll see I'm right :p

MrJan
24th May 2010, 21:37

That's wrong, I told you to buy something Jap :p :

Sonic
24th May 2010, 21:40

Yeah but thats not useful as the throttle will stick wide open ;) :D

MrJan
24th May 2010, 21:50
Yeah but thats not useful as the throttle will stick wide open ;) :D

Mine's been fine ;)

Daniel
24th May 2010, 21:51
The only thing I'd say about Japanese cars is that they're not necessarily the best handling or the best in terms of interiors. Mechanically though they're fantastic and fairly cheap to run if you know where to get bits from :)

Daniel
24th May 2010, 21:52
Actually, a lot of the car magazines really rate the Panda 100BHP - it's meant to be great fun.

Yeah EVO rate is very highly for the cash and they say it's the best drivers car you can buy new for under 10k in the UK.

Daniel
24th May 2010, 22:04
We hired a 1.2 Clio in Madeira. Reasonably nice interior, and not too bad to drive. But my god, so underpowered!

Granted the 'motorway' on Madeira is a bit hillier than your average one, but it really struggled to get up to the speed limit of 100km/h, which when you consider it's only 60mph then that's not great! Although it did manage it when going down hill! Had to use third gear and rev the nuts off it to get it to climb!

Having said that on the really hilly stuff going less than 30mph it was ok and pulled up the slopes just fine. Although very squeaky brakes on the way down but the hire car dude said that's normal for Maderia cars - which I can understand, you're either going up a steep hill or going down a steep hill there, there's nowt else :p

Just remember that different engines have different characteristics .

The 1242cc 8v engine in our 500 is a totally different engine to the 1368cc 16v engine that Fiat also do in the 500. I testdrove the 16v engine a few times in the 500 and just didn't like it, it was peaky, it needed to be revved to develop any power and because it had a 6 speed box you always felt like you were changing gear all the time. Whereas the engine in our 500 feels a bit more torquey low down which makes it nicer to drive around town as you can pull out into gaps a bit easier. But on a motorway when the 16v engine would be hitting its stride the 1.2 does struggle a bit to be honest.

As always testdrive lots of different cars and engines.

wedge
25th May 2010, 00:29
Errrr wedge it's a lot more than a fake diffuser (are any diffusers on road cars anything more than decoration?). You get arches, a littlle rear spoiler, a nicer bumper and grille. It's a very different looking car to the other Panda's.

The diffuser is tacky plastic

And no matter what you do with it you still end up looking like driving Postman Pat's van!

Daniel
25th May 2010, 00:30
Hmmmm who do I believe? A respected drivers mag? (EVO) or a guy from a forum? :p

Donney
25th May 2010, 07:47
Mark

You are welcome, although there's lots of practical unrelatred advice around here... :D

Mr Jan Yeo That's wrong, I told you to buy something Jap :p :

A little bit on the vague side maybe... :D

Coming to think about it, the thing my brother does not really like about his Ibzia is the outside temp sensor, whenever the outside temperature is between 0º and 5º the car tells you to be careful because there's ice on the road... And winters here are always in that range of temperatures and most of the times even colder.

Mark
25th May 2010, 08:18
The current Fiesta is really quite good.

I know! :p

MrJan
25th May 2010, 09:53
A little bit on the vague side maybe... :D

Okay then, get an Auris or a Civic or a Yaris or a Swift.

odykas
25th May 2010, 18:32
- Alfa Romeo MiTo
- Citroen DS3
- Grande Punto Evo
- Lancia Y