PDA

View Full Version : How to make the WTCC more interesting?

tech3
23rd May 2010, 18:21
I've noticed on a couple of threads that people are losing interest with the WTCC, as am I. Now, the small amount of 'full' factory teams is an issue, but what about other issues such as the race of Morocco which hardly had any racing laps? Feel free to post your ideas on how how to save the championship, whether it be related to racing or perhaps the media coverage. Post away..

Caroline
23rd May 2010, 20:32
I am wondering why the FIA doesn't put some WTCC races on at F1 meetings. They use some of the same circuits and although I used to think that lumping it in with F1 would diminish its importance I don't think that it matters anymore. The WTCC is getting more boring by the season and needs 'something' to turn it back into a good, compelling racing series.

Also, I really don't think that Seat Leons make the best looking touring cars - call me old fashioned - but saloon cars look much better. Even the Chevrolets have grown on me!

trebor901
23rd May 2010, 20:33
flamethrowers on all cars except TDI's so we can finally get rid of the damn things

UltimateDanGTR
23rd May 2010, 20:35
1. more variety-hopefully that will happen with toyota and honda and (rumoured) alfa romeo and ford all looking at WTCC for next year. it would be nice to see less SEATS as well, as they just form trains in quali and races at times and it just gets ridiculous
2. better ruling-some rules have been rather stupid as well all know, something needs to be done
3. better race tracks-this only applies really to some races outside europe. curitiba doesnt seem to produce exciting racing, marrakech is rubbish, but the european races produce more excitement. (well not excitement, interestingness is a better word)

those are the three problems i think need adressing most.

Caroline
23rd May 2010, 20:49
1. more variety-hopefully that will happen with toyota and honda and (rumoured) alfa romeo and ford all looking at WTCC for next year. it would be nice to see less SEATS as well, as they just form trains in quali and races at times and it just gets ridiculous
2. better ruling-some rules have been rather stupid as well all know, something needs to be done
3. better race tracks-this only applies really to some races outside europe. curitiba doesnt seem to produce exciting racing, marrakech is rubbish, but the european races produce more excitement. (well not excitement, interestingness is a better word)

those are the three problems i think need adressing most.

I agree with the sentiments about some of the circuits - Marrakesh just isn't great. It should be replaced.

Allyc85
23rd May 2010, 21:25
I slagged off the WTCC the other day but really enjoyed todays races, unbelievable drama in both of them!

I think they need to ban the diesel Seats as they are just too boring and dont excite the fans. Its hardly like diesels are a brand new world saving motor technology either!

Obviously there needs to be more variety on the grid and I really hope at least a couple of the mentioned manufacturers do end up entering.

Then they need to look at the circuits as I feel alot of them are too long for the current breed of touring cars. 9 lap races like todays are a bit of a joke for a world championship and it isnt fair on the fans!

AndyRAC
23rd May 2010, 23:53
I slagged off the WTCC the other day but really enjoyed todays races, unbelievable drama in both of them!

I think they need to ban the diesel Seats as they are just too boring and dont excite the fans. Its hardly like diesels are a brand new world saving motor technology either!

Obviously there needs to be more variety on the grid and I really hope at least a couple of the mentioned manufacturers do end up entering.

Then they need to look at the circuits as I feel alot of them are too long for the current breed of touring cars. 9 lap races like todays are a bit of a joke for a world championship and it isnt fair on the fans!

Funnily enough, I thought the same while watching.
However, remember, that this is meant to be 1 of 4 FiA World Championships - but there are only 3 Manufacturers in it, and one of them isn't a proper factory team.
It needs to be attractive to Manufacturers, and obviously relatively inexpensive. Also, I feel the cars needs to be a lot more spectacular - at the moment they're pretty boring. While i'm not totally against Diesels - a whole lot of them is un-exciting.
Get some better tracks in that encourage overtaking, and get rid of the 'gimmick' of the reverse grid - a World Championship shouldn't have things in like that.

rallyrazz
24th May 2010, 10:45
Funnily enough, I thought the same while watching.
However, remember, that this is meant to be 1 of 4 FiA World Championships - but there are only 3 Manufacturers in it, and one of them isn't a proper factory team.
It needs to be attractive to Manufacturers, and obviously relatively inexpensive. Also, I feel the cars needs to be a lot more spectacular - at the moment they're pretty boring. While i'm not totally against Diesels - a whole lot of them is un-exciting.
Get some better tracks in that encourage overtaking, and get rid of the 'gimmick' of the reverse grid - a World Championship shouldn't have things in like that.

Yeah, I have a similar view. Personally one of the problems with the WTCC is that a lot of the race tracks the series goes to, are not suited to touring car racing. often it makes the cars look incredibly boring(especially the Leon TDI's)

I am evil Homer
24th May 2010, 11:47

See that's simply not correct..biofuel is not a long term solution and electric is still a long way off so the most efficient engines are small capacity turbo diesels so in that way WTCC is actually the most relevant to car makers. If they can develop those through a mandated FIA series all the better.

But that leaves the problem or attempting to equalise a diesel and petrol which isn't easy to do.

The circuits are the bigger problem - they don't suit touring cars.

UltimateDanGTR
24th May 2010, 12:55
we are all saying the tracks dont suit touring cars, so lets analyse all of them:

Curitiba-something just doesnt work there, too twisty and slow it seems
puebla-another twisty track which isnt exactly epic
marrakech-the track doesnt suit any type of racing cars it seems
monza-may make the cars look slower because of the long straights, but good racing is produced so I'd keep it
zolder-we will have to wait and see
portimao-ont know yet, but i expect good racing there
brands hatch-superb fan views, tough to overtake but great corners, and touring cars are good around there IMO.
brno-i think it works, touring car suited circuit
oschersleben-suits touring cars again, although that first corner is a real carnage causer
valencia-better than other spanish tracks for touring cars I'd say.
okayama-certainly twisty, but a good length track for touring cars
macau-too thin, hard to overtake, lots of incidents always occur but it's macau, and its established now on the calender so id keep it

so, tracks that could suit WTCC and we could go there:
mexico city-why not? not too long, good corners, id reckon it would work
laguna seca-interesting concept that i think is rather unpredictable. another USA track that could work is portland i feel.
buenos aires-could work, probabaly better than curitiba. potrero de los funes? awesome circuit, but TC-suited? that unpredictable.

Allyc85
24th May 2010, 21:12
One thing that would surely help the WTCC is a race in the USA which would surely interest more manufactures. They would of course have to make sure that the race dosnt clash with NASCAR though!

rallyrazz
24th May 2010, 21:30
One thing that would surely help the WTCC is a race in the USA which would surely interest more manufactures. They would of course have to make sure that the race dosnt clash with NASCAR though!

That is the problem about having a race in America, too many fans would look at the speed of S2000 cars and think 'NASCAR is way faster from this' and also many car companies models are much different in America to their European counterparts and SEAT don't even sell any models in the USA

thetrooper_uk
24th May 2010, 22:02
First they need to sort out the regs and not change them throughout the season.
Stop going to boring street circuits as they don't lend themselves to have great racing.
Restrict the manufacturer entries to 3 or 4 cars to stop them flooding the grid with identical cars.
Reduce the costs for teams as that's what killed the teams back when they ran the DTM. First thing is to group the races in the same region together on the schedule so it reduces travelling costs.
Scrap the reverse grid or have it like the BTCC so drivers don't aim for 8th in the first race just so they get pole for the 2nd.

rallyrazz
31st May 2010, 12:15
Perhaps ditch the two race format, instead have a hour long race with a mandatory pit stop. Another thing to do is not ban diesel cars, but find a decent way to balance the performance with the petrol cars. Discounted entry rate for zero emision cars.

Les
31st May 2010, 12:58
have a maximum number of cars per team or manufacturer so that the train is abolished - or just ban it. It makes a mockery of pole when "he" only got it because he was dragged round by some poor chum who forfeited his right to try.
Make the cars in each team different visually. Half my problem when watching the WTCC now, is all I see is a Seat, BMW, Seat - I cannot easily see the difference and therefore I miss the change in positions. Chevy have so improved theirs this year.
Make the races a little longer so that tyre wear becomes a bigger factor

rallyrazz
31st May 2010, 13:31
have a maximum number of cars per team or manufacturer so that the train is abolished - or just ban it. It makes a mockery of pole when "he" only got it because he was dragged round by some poor chum who forfeited his right to try.
Make the cars in each team different visually. Half my problem when watching the WTCC now, is all I see is a Seat, BMW, Seat - I cannot easily see the difference and therefore I miss the change in positions. Chevy have so improved theirs this year.
Make the races a little longer so that tyre wear becomes a bigger factor

How many cars would you limit to each team? I would limit them to 3 cars

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 15:23
how about the qualifying applies for race 2 only.

in race 1, a randomized grid system is used. on the friday of race weekend a grid draw is conducted. throughout the season, each driver will start on every row of the grid once in the season. so if they upped the race meetings to 14, and we got grids of say 28 cars again, thats 14 races (the other half being decided by quali) and 14 different rows to start on. which side of the row is randomized and drawn like a less extravagant world cup draw with balls and pots.
over the course of the season this is fair and produces exciting racing, without having to resort to the silly reversed grids.

Daniel
1st June 2010, 00:25
More teams, no ballast, less Seats, no TDI's and better tracks.

Eurotech
1st June 2010, 21:18
Do it like FIA GT3 a few years ago:
> Each Manufacturer can have 3 teams of a maximum of 3 cars representing them
> Each team MUST have a different colour scheme
> All S2000 cars from around the world should be eligable
> One off entrants should not be penalised with Ballast
> Race weekends should comprise of either 2 races of 30mins or 1 race of 1 hour (possible two-driver enduros as well)

UltimateDanGTR
1st June 2010, 21:47
> Race weekends should comprise of either 2 races of 30mins or 1 race of 1 hour (possible two-driver enduros as well)

nice, but id rather go for 2 45 minute races.

Eunos
1st June 2010, 23:57
I think a 1 Lap shoot out Qualifying would be Pretty Cool..

Or atleast they could do their Qualifying Similar to the Way DTM does theirs, The Final 4 Cars are given 1 Lap to get their Best Time..

Also i would like to see a Better variety off Car's, All it is today is Beemers and Seats with afew Chevvy's Sprinkled inbetween..

rallyrazz
2nd June 2010, 15:18

I agree. Get rid of success ballast as well, this is a world championship for gods sake

AndySpeed
2nd June 2010, 22:16
I agree. Get rid of success ballast as well, this is a world championship for gods sake

It would be a bit like saying to Roger Federer that he's got to play with one hand tied behind his back because he's ranked the #1 tennis player in the world, wouldn't it?

Daniel
2nd June 2010, 22:36
It would be a bit like saying to Roger Federer that he's got to play with one hand tied behind his back because he's ranked the #1 tennis player in the world, wouldn't it?
Some people make the silly argument that it makes for closer racing.

racer69
3rd June 2010, 07:57

Why don't they go back to basics and to how the WTCC originally was, two-driver endurance races!

rallyrazz
3rd June 2010, 17:37

Or like saying to Chelsea, 'sorry you've won you last couple of games, your now going to play with 10 men'

Eurotech
4th June 2010, 00:33
yeah, Cars should just be equalized PROPERLY if they want to make it "fair" eg:
> Have a session at a circuit somewhere in Europe where an INDEPENDANT test driver drives all the S2000 cars and then the cars can be equalized before the season starts and everyone can stop complaining.

Daniel
4th June 2010, 07:53
No, equalisation is a crock of ****. Back in the supertourer days Peugeot never really had a good enough package to do well, consequently they didn't do well. That's the way it should be, don't put the cash in? You won't get victories.

Mark
4th June 2010, 09:53
True dat. You'd have the same farce as the BTCC where it would seem to an outsider that the governing body basically decides who is going to win this year!

If it turns out that 4wd is quickest then they should win. If RWD is quickest, they should win. If Diesels are quickest, they should win. Simple.

Having the cars equalised at all is a pile of poo and makes a complete mockery of the entire sport.

rallyrazz
4th June 2010, 10:48
Hopefully, next year when the engines are 1.6 turbo's, the performance will be more excting. something around 320-340 bhp would spice things up a bit.

Allyc85
4th June 2010, 14:59
Is that confirmed, ive heard them talk about new rules nothing set in stone yet.

rallyrazz
4th June 2010, 15:55
Is that confirmed, ive heard them talk about new rules nothing set in stone yet.

I assume so

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3638

AndyRAC
4th June 2010, 22:49
True dat. You'd have the same farce as the BTCC where it would seem to an outsider that the governing body basically decides who is going to win this year!

If it turns out that 4wd is quickest then they should win. If RWD is quickest, they should win. If Diesels are quickest, they should win. Simple.

Having the cars equalised at all is a pile of poo and makes a complete mockery of the entire sport.

While I detest equalisation - it's just about okay in the BTCC, as it's just a National series. However, the WTCC shouldn't have any - the best should win!!

Eurotech
5th June 2010, 16:42
I didn't mean that it neccessarily should have equalization, I meant more that IF the FIA wanted equalization, they should do it properly and get an independent test driver like they do for FIA GT3 rather than letting the teams seemingly do it themselves like they did in FIA GT1...

I personally believe that equalisation should be left out of motorsport full stop, cars shouldn't get performance waivers and cars shouldn't be allowed to compete if they don't meet the regulations (eg Maserati MC12 GT1)

VkmSpouge
5th June 2010, 17:29
The problem does not lie with the drivers, cars or teams, I think lies with going to tracks that aren't conducive to good touring car racing. I think they need to try tracks in the style of ones the BTCC tends to go to.
I also think some better leadership by the championship organisers, they seem to tweak the rules far too often and usually because one of the teams is moaning about something.

Eurotech
5th June 2010, 18:16
I know its sad but I think they should change the British Round from Brands, yes it produced close racing but not much overtaking the World Series. The BTCC manages it ok, but for some reason the WTCC races seem to be a bit dull after about half distance.... then again, the same goes to most of the circiuts on the calendar...

rallyrazz
6th June 2010, 15:22
I know its sad but I think they should change the British Round from Brands, yes it produced close racing but not much overtaking the World Series. The BTCC manages it ok, but for some reason the WTCC races seem to be a bit dull after about half distance.... then again, the same goes to most of the circiuts on the calendar...

I agree

rallyrazz
8th June 2010, 17:59
I think the wtcc needs a new broadcaster, new logo and a new atmosphere. It should be more fan frendily, like the btcc is. On the btcc website you can ask alan gow, the oraganiser, questions. There should be autograph sessions like there is in the ...btcc. be the opposite to f1, make it a more relaxed championship for peole to enjoy

NaBUru38
8th June 2010, 19:17
potrero de los funes? awesome circuit, but TC-suited? that [is] unpredictable.
It's not, because the Argentine TC2000 has been racing there the last years. Races are fine, there are plenty of overtaking spots. Other Argentine track owners are trying to get a WTCC date - Centenario (Neuquén) and Termas de Río Hondo (Santiago del Estero) are others.

Restrict the manufacturer entries to 3 or 4 cars to stop them flooding the grid with identical cars.
First, they must attract more brands. Then they can try to restrict entries.

Scrap the reverse grid or have it like the BTCC so drivers don't aim for 8th in the first race just so they get pole for the 2nd.
In the Argentine TC2000, the championship leader gets a 12-place grid penalty for the sprint race, the second gets 11 places, etc. Since the performance of the cars is fine, they are capable of overtaking everyone during the sprint and feature races. 12 places is too extreme, 8 would be better.

Speaking of the devil, the WTCC should have one winner per weekend. So if there are two races, the latter should be longer (like 45 minutes, for a 60-minute television windos) and award more points.

racer69
9th June 2010, 08:32
I think the wtcc needs a new broadcaster, new logo and a new atmosphere.
Unlikely to happen, as Eurosport basically owns the series, without them, there wouldn't be a WTCC at all.

UltimateDanGTR
9th June 2010, 11:03
It's not, because the Argentine TC2000 has been racing there the last years. Races are fine, there are plenty of overtaking spots. Other Argentine track owners are trying to get a WTCC date - Centenario (Neuquén) and Termas de Río Hondo (Santiago del Estero) are others.

excellent then-WTCC to potrero de los funes! and then lets hope bernie decides to watch!

rallyrazz
15th June 2010, 17:23
Personally I think a move a move to NGTC regs will benefit the WTCC, othewise I think the BTCC will gain new factory teams, I mean MG are interested in the BTCC...http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/250366/

Allyc85
19th June 2010, 12:56
I think touring car series all around the world need to run to the same rules, to secure the future of the sport as it makes it so much easier to buy and sell cars etc.

Ive linked this thread to Martin Haven on twitter so will be interesting to see if he has anything to say :)

MrMetro
9th July 2010, 19:52
well with volvo planning an entry for 2011, things look likethey are starting to perk up for the wtcc

UltimateDanGTR
9th July 2010, 21:00
The past 1 and a half years have been a bad patch for the WTCC due to the financial crisis and other factors (like new rules coming into play soon meaning no new manufacturer wants to enter before), but I've always believed that things will pick up and the future is bright for the series, starting in 2011.

with volvo, honda, toyota, ford and alfa romeo all reported or rumoured to be looking at the WTCC in the near future, I can see more manufacturers, more variety and as a result better racing in future years. I have confidence in the WTCC, and I just hope I am not proved wrong.

Eurotech
11th July 2010, 02:35
I think it still needs better TV coverage here in the UK, its like the GT1 World Championship, its entertaining and theres British guys on top and yet it gets completely ignored in this country despite its FIA World Championship status.... The same kind of applies to the WRC, which should be back on the mainstream channels.

AndySpeed
11th July 2010, 09:44
I think it still needs better TV coverage here in the UK, its like the GT1 World Championship, its entertaining and theres British guys on top and yet it gets completely ignored in this country despite its FIA World Championship status.... The same kind of applies to the WRC, which should be back on the mainstream channels.

Eurosport have too much of a stake though. Just buy an online subscription which is only a few ££ per month and that's a good way to watch.

You get access to lots of Tennis coverage too! :D

AndyRAC
11th July 2010, 14:47
Eurosport have too much of a stake though. Just buy an online subscription which is only a few ££ per month and that's a good way to watch.

You get access to lots of Tennis coverage too! :D

That's the problem, Eurosport having a stake. All FiA World Championships should be on free to air TV!!

AndySpeed
11th July 2010, 14:55
That's the problem, Eurosport having a stake. All FiA World Championships should be on free to air TV!!

Why? What sport, anywhere in the world, has all of its top-live events on free-to-air TV?

Yes, you like WTCC and I like WTCC. But let the TV companies and championship organisers do their own deals - and the race fans will follow them.

Eurotech
11th July 2010, 19:27
Why? What sport, anywhere in the world, has all of its top-live events on free-to-air TV?

Yes, you like WTCC and I like WTCC. But let the TV companies and championship organisers do their own deals - and the race fans will follow them.
But why should we? why should we pay to watch the sham that is the modern day WTCC? I think that if the FIA and Eurosport want us to pay to watch the WTCC then they could at least make it into an interesting spectacle.

Daniel
11th July 2010, 19:33
But why should we? why should we pay to watch the sham that is the modern day WTCC? I think that if the FIA and Eurosport want us to pay to watch the WTCC then they could at least make it into an interesting spectacle.
Errr how is it a sham?

MrMetro
11th July 2010, 19:52
Errr how is it a sham?

I imagne he's refering to the fact that eurosport is usually part of pay tv packages

racer69
12th July 2010, 09:44
I think touring car series all around the world need to run to the same rules, to secure the future of the sport as it makes it so much easier to buy and sell cars etc.

That only works if cars from around the world are included in the grid mix, be they big cars or small cars.

In Australia at least, all the V8Supercar rounds, Formula 1 & MotoGP are live (at worst slightly delayed, but only by an hour or so) on free-to-air TV.

The Bathurst 1000 has been live on free-to-air TV in Australia every year since 1963. All the Championship rounds (bar one, Mallala in 1992) have been shown in full same-day coverage since 1983 on free-to-air TV too

Same goes for the AFL, NRL etc.. down here, all the major matches each week are shown live in free-to-air

Perhaps its an Aussie thing :)

MrMetro
12th July 2010, 10:37
well in a way eurosport is free to air. Eurosport International is free to air, and it is digital as well, but its in german. the analogue version of eurosport international is in english but it will be closed down in a couple of years.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1192127

Eurotech
12th July 2010, 16:04
Errr how is it a sham?
Were you not watching in Marrakech?

MrMetro
12th July 2010, 16:18

that was a disgrace, an insult to the fans watching at home and who were watching it their.

Copse
13th July 2010, 11:09
I think the main thing that missing is the feeling of it being top level and professional. When I watch it on Eurosport, it just looks bland, low level and irrelevant.

I personally think that Eurosport's strategy of commentators for each language in a studio watching the same pictures as the viewer with almost no access to extra data is a major thing. They become so distanced, uninformed and passive, making the whole thing seem not worth caring about. Proper on site commentary could make a difference.

Another issue is the sporting regulations. They far too often cause far too many pace car laps, and generally make the thing seem low-level (there I go again not having any concrete points, just feeling). Longer races, with pit stops, might be the answer.

MrMetro
13th July 2010, 12:16
I think the main thing that missing is the feeling of it being top level and professional. When I watch it on Eurosport, it just looks bland, low level and irrelevant.

I personally think that Eurosport's strategy of commentators for each language in a studio watching the same pictures as the viewer with almost no access to extra data is a major thing. They become so distanced, uninformed and passive, making the whole thing seem not worth caring about. Proper on site commentary could make a difference.

Another issue is the sporting regulations. They far too often cause far too many pace car laps, and generally make the thing seem low-level (there I go again not having any concrete points, just feeling). Longer races, with pit stops, might be the answer.

I agree 100% . for instance, random advert breaks, the opening theme starting twice on some occasions, commentary which oftens is very, very, dull, graphics which are too small to see in standard definition. is this the type of media coverage a world championship should be having? the answer is a obvious, no.

In morroco, one of the laps was taken up by a rolling start which wasn't correct, and in race two, there were only 2 racing laps, that was an absolute disgrace, i believe toyota exceutives were there to see what the championship was like, i can't imagine they were too impressed, to say the least.

race 1 should be a sprint race, while race two should be a feature race which is longer and has pit stops

UltimateDanGTR
13th July 2010, 16:53

luckily, that was a one off.

Daniel
13th July 2010, 17:06
Was that the race where the race was mostly run under the safety car? If so then I agree, but that's the race director's fault

tech3
22nd October 2010, 20:26
I thought I would bring this thread up again, as the topic of the future of touring car racing is popular at the moment.

Personally, the WTCC should perhaps have regs similar to the DTM, as their new regs are proving quite popular. I know DTM cars have very little in common with their road going counterparts, but they create a certain atmosphere and exciting to watch, just ditch the aero devices which limit overtaking.

Eurotech
22nd October 2010, 21:00
I thought I would bring this thread up again, as the topic of the future of touring car racing is popular at the moment.

Personally, the WTCC should perhaps have regs similar to the DTM, as their new regs are proving quite popular. I know DTM cars have very little in common with their road going counterparts, but they create a certain atmosphere and exciting to watch, just ditch the aero devices which limit overtaking.
Ditch the aero devices and you basically end up with a standard touring car with a big engine.... sounds good to me :p

RMLCruzeing82
23rd October 2010, 21:55
I am wondering why the FIA doesn't put some WTCC races on at F1 meetings. They use some of the same circuits and although I used to think that lumping it in with F1 would diminish its importance I don't think that it matters anymore. The WTCC is getting more boring by the season and needs 'something' to turn it back into a good, compelling racing series.

Also, I really don't think that Seat Leons make the best looking touring cars - call me old fashioned - but saloon cars look much better. Even the Chevrolets have grown on me!

i agree.

wtcc should be on the package for F1.

BTCC was once on the british GP weekends package so i think wtcc could do with that type of thing as well

MrMetro
23rd October 2010, 22:35
I always consider touring car racing a 'national thing', after all, many country's have different car markets, so you can't really have a world championship in my opinion. I still consider the BTCC the best touring car championship, although I'm not fond of things such as ballast, its used better in the BTCC than it is the WTCC.

VkmSpouge
30th October 2010, 12:01
Stop crap like this from happening:

[quote="TouringCarTimes.com"]With the penalty for running a six-speed sequential gearbox an additional 30kg to the car&#8217]

Confusing and ridiculous. This is where the WTCC fails, all these petty wranglings and whinings over base weight of the cars, gearboxes, RWD v. FWD and the organisers show very little in the way of leadership over it.

Allyc85
30th October 2010, 13:11
That really does sum up one of the main reasons the WTCC is such a mess, surely the people in charge can see what a joke that is!!

UltimateDanGTR
31st October 2010, 07:51
That really does sum up one of the main reasons the WTCC is such a mess, surely the people in charge can see what a joke that is!!

absolutely right. I'm not even going to attempt to fully understand the problem with the gearboxes, Such a situation where it's hard to understand what the problem is for the fan shouldnt not occur.

The thing is they try to add too much variety and have to have different rules for every single thing to provide as much parity as possible. in this situation, they've failed.

One fuel, One gearbox design, Zero Ballast.

how life would be easier and far more respectable for the WTCC if this happened....

Eurotech
31st October 2010, 20:26
I'll be honest, I actually quite like this shambles because it adds a new chance for the teams - The loopholes are there for their cars, they just have to find them :)

[RMC]Pip
3rd November 2010, 21:57
TouringCarTimes Analysis: New qualifying format
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5504

F1boat
4th November 2010, 09:54
Pip]TouringCarTimes Analysis: New qualifying format
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5504

This may make the season a one-car show, though, and if Chevy dominates utterly, BMW may decide to focus entirely on the DTM series.

MrMetro
7th November 2010, 11:19
absolutely right. I'm not even going to attempt to fully understand the problem with the gearboxes, Such a situation where it's hard to understand what the problem is for the fan shouldnt not occur.

The thing is they try to add too much variety and have to have different rules for every single thing to provide as much parity as possible. in this situation, they've failed.

One fuel, One gearbox design, Zero Ballast.

how life would be easier and far more respectable for the WTCC if this happened....

Well said

MrMetro
7th November 2010, 11:26
Although I have been quite critical about the WTCC, I believe it has potential. The rule changes I think will help, Volvo are planning a one car entry for 2010, in preperation for a full team in 2012. Some of the tracks the WTCC are great IMO. Macau, Donnigton Park for 2011, Brno, Monza, Pau. It needs to iron out some major bugs, such as ballast and reverse grids, and it could be as popular as it was back in '87.