PDA

View Full Version : IRL to Gulfport, Miss.?

jeffconn
4th March 2007, 06:02
Apparently the IRL is thinking about an additional race this year and next just yards off the beach in Gulfport, Mississippi.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/sports/16764268.htm
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/local/16799149.htm

Scheckterfan54
4th March 2007, 07:27
Ya know, that would be really cool for that area to get that kind of media exposure and for the IRL to supply that platform(via espn/abc/espn2)...but i do not understand what the race teams would benefit from running an exhibition race after the last points race of the season. It is hard enough to get some of the teams funded for the 17 races we already have, now they go down to gulfport/biloxi(beautiful area by the way!) to participate in an exhibition race. Save the race for 08 or just add it this year as a points race!

Mark in Oshawa
5th March 2007, 03:34
Just what Gulfport needs. They damn near get wiped off the map and then they can spend some money on putting in an IRL race? Last time I heard, a lot of people in that part of the world were still trying to put their lives back together, but maybe something like this would do something for the area. I guess I would have to remain a skeptic...

Hoss Ghoul
5th March 2007, 11:42
Ya know, that would be really cool for that area to get that kind of media exposure and for the IRL to supply that platform(via espn/abc/espn2)...but i do not understand what the race teams would benefit from running an exhibition race after the last points race of the season. It is hard enough to get some of the teams funded for the 17 races we already have, now they go down to gulfport/biloxi(beautiful area by the way!) to participate in an exhibition race. Save the race for 08 or just add it this year as a points race!

The reason they're talking of adding it as an exhibition race at the end of the year is because Chicagoland has contracted to be the last points race of the year. Adding it in mid-season is probably nearly impossible, the IRL's schedule is pretty well set, and breaks are limited.

Autoweek has been reporting on this for a while now, and it seems at least possible they'll have something at years end. They've also reported the possibility of races in Palm Springs and 2 or 3 other locations that slip my mind...but those were all possibilities for '08.

jeffconn
5th March 2007, 20:55
Just what Gulfport needs. They damn near get wiped off the map and then they can spend some money on putting in an IRL race? Last time I heard, a lot of people in that part of the world were still trying to put their lives back together, but maybe something like this would do something for the area. I guess I would have to remain a skeptic...

Actually the thinking here on the Gulf Coast is it's a no-brainer for the city government. Gulfport needs the tourist dollars badly. The south Mississippi area needs something to rally around. And the media spotlight, frankly, has been on New Orleans and Katrina. This event would VISUALLY show the world that Katrina cleanup isn't anywhere near over yet. This event could bring in a LOT of money directly and indirectly to south Mississippi. Although i do remain skeptical that it will happen this fall, i'm hoping that it will, for Gulfport's sake. Plus, this part of the country don't get too many big league motorsports. I'd be hanging out there all weekend anyway.

GayParis
5th March 2007, 21:00
The reason they're talking of adding it as an exhibition race at the end of the year is because Chicagoland has contracted to be the last points race of the year. Adding it in mid-season is probably nearly impossible, the IRL's schedule is pretty well set, and breaks are limited.

Autoweek has been reporting on this for a while now, and it seems at least possible they'll have something at years end. They've also reported the possibility of races in Palm Springs and 2 or 3 other locations that slip my mind...but those were all possibilities for '08.

Time is running out for this year, however there is still a slight hope it will happen by both IRL and city officials. I know the city is behind it for reasons already mentioned. However, whether the infrastructure is there to support such a venture in a short period is the 'big unknown'.

jeffconn
8th March 2007, 20:46
"Council green-lights IRL talks"
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/16848982.htm

gofastandwynn
8th March 2007, 20:59
I am putting the odds on this at slim to none. At this point there is just to little time to get it together. Plus you have to get honda to provide the engines for it, and most of the teams already have their budgets layed out.

Maybe next year, but I would rather see them go to the west coast.

Mark in Oshawa
10th March 2007, 16:36
The IRL just keeps looking for little places to run street races where as 10 years go, Street races were evil and never made money according to the IRL braintrust and its fans. Now they cant find towns small enough.

If the IRL wants to follow this strategy, I will watch, but it hasn't worked for Champ Car in markets such as Denver, what makes them think Gulfport will work?

The IRL can find a small town to race in if Gulfport doesn't work for them, just run up to Trois Rivieres Quebec, the street race there has been around for 30 years plus and the infrastructure of the track is basically permanent now. It would make more sense to me than some of the ideas they have had lately.

Honestly, what are the people at IRL head office thinking??

Jeff, if the people of Gulfport want this race, all power to them, it is their tax dollars, but for the love of rudy, don't you guys have your lives and city to rebuild first? I can tell you, if anyone makes money on this deal, it wont be the common taxpayers of Gulfport Mississippi. If everyone had a roof over their head and life was normal, that would be acceptable, but I don't see how you can divert money and attention away from rebuilding your town.

As for New Orleans getting the attention, well, they are the squeaky wheel getting the grease I suppose, but the real fallacy of that mess is the fact they will rebuild the city really at all in the same manner. At least Gulfport has the sense to be above sea level....

jeffconn
10th March 2007, 18:29
Mark, very good argument. i don't disagree with most of it. Just a few things from the Mississippi point of view. The 2nd biggest employer in this area was the tourism industry. People coming to see this race will bring in the money that will get the infrastructure and those houses fixed. AND, it will be let potential tourists know that it's safe to go to southern Mississippi. An IRL race could be something that the locals can rally around, much as the New Orleans Saints became a huge symbol for New Orleans this past season. I can tell you from some of my N.O. friends that the Saints coming back was a huge boost to that city. To paraphrase one of them, it told the world that N.O. was down but not out. And if Gulfport (or any city for that matter) waited until all their problems were solved, no city would ever hold a race or build a stadium or do any improvements to their city.

And by the way, those repairs to the Jones Park area would have happened anyway. Jones Park was where most of the festivals and fairs were held. Why not push the repairs ahead so that some good P.R. can happen?

Just my two cents. I'm in the Navy here. Love this area. Might retire here.

ZzZzZz
11th March 2007, 07:41
I don't know anything about that area, but if it's done right, the whole community would get behind it and the attendance would be pretty good. It would be successful because it is one of the biggest entertainment events of the year, in that area.

Bringing in tourist dollars is another issue. Maybe with the tourism industry being so established in that area, they'll know how to do it. Otherwise, there would be a delay until the event becomes established, for the tourist money to be significant.

gofastandwynn
11th March 2007, 08:12
The IRL just keeps looking for little places to run street races where as 10 years go, Street races were evil and never made money according to the IRL braintrust and its fans. Now they cant find towns small enough.

If the IRL wants to follow this strategy, I will watch, but it hasn't worked for Champ Car in markets such as Denver, what makes them think Gulfport will work?

The IRL can find a small town to race in if Gulfport doesn't work for them, just run up to Trois Rivieres Quebec, the street race there has been around for 30 years plus and the infrastructure of the track is basically permanent now. It would make more sense to me than some of the ideas they have had lately.

Honestly, what are the people at IRL head office thinking??

But it is not the IRL looking for them, it is the promoters looking to bring in the IRL. That is why there isn't a race in San Antonio or Quebec City. These are all promoters who want the IRL to come, and I am sure that BB said tat yea, of you guys can get this, this and this done and inplace that we will race there, and right no it has only been St. Pete and Detroit. I for one would actually love to see them run Trois Rivers and said in this very forum that CC would be better running there than that club track in Mont Tremblant.

Easy Drifter
11th March 2007, 17:50
That 'club track' in Mt. Tremblant has hosted the original Can-Am, Trans Am when Ford, AMC, Pontiac, Chev, Plymouth and Dodge had factory teams, F 5000 and F1.
Have you ever been there?
The scenery is beautiful as are the women. They can come out of a pup tent looking like they were on a fashion runway!
You can swim in the lake behind the paddock or if you are good enough in the Devils River to the left of turn 1. But you had better be good if you dive into the whirlpool.
It is a very difficult and challenging track. Not quite as much as Mosport but close.
Three Cricks (as we used to call it) is pretty tight, especially through the Arch.

gofastandwynn
12th March 2007, 05:37
That 'club track' in Mt. Tremblant has hosted the original Can-Am, Trans Am when Ford, AMC, Pontiac, Chev, Plymouth and Dodge had factory teams, F 5000 and F1.
Have you ever been there?
The scenery is beautiful as are the women. They can come out of a pup tent looking like they were on a fashion runway!
You can swim in the lake behind the paddock or if you are good enough in the Devils River to the left of turn 1. But you had better be good if you dive into the whirlpool.
It is a very difficult and challenging track. Not quite as much as Mosport but close.
Three Cricks (as we used to call it) is pretty tight, especially through the Arch.

Texas World Speedway hosted a lot of big races in the 70's as well, but I don't see any major series trying to run there.

I call it a club track because that is what it is, it isn't set up for the big races. The paddock is small, there are no suites, no grandstands or major spectator facialities. It is a lot like a lot of track that are being built in the US (Arizona Motorsports Park, Autobahn Country Club, BeaveRun, etc).

BobbyC
18th March 2007, 05:13
The Biloxi-Gulfport area is still rebuilding. The local minor league hockey team will resume play in October.

Homestead-Miami Speedway was built as a project to rebuild the area after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.