PDA

View Full Version : speed channel coverage stunk

markabilly
16th May 2010, 15:23
Too many commercials

the first SC period starts, all you hear is there is a mac on fire.....as they immediately cut away to over FIVE MINUTES of commercials, come back and the SC has pulled in and they are racing....and who was on fire? :confused:

Well a few minutes later they mention it was Button.... :mad:

then there was something to do with rubens steering wheel, but what it was???well all that was interupted by commercials, so I still do not know what the big deal was about that...

end of race was mostly commercials, got a quick 3 second shot of webber with the trophy (obviously NOT live) and then a couple of repeats of MS passing FA, more commericals and then some nascar show... :mad:

but the picture quality all weekend was very very good-not the usual stuff--do not understand why....

beachgirl
16th May 2010, 15:31
Are you EVER satisfied with anything? I don't think you were watching the same SPEED coverage that I was. I knew right away what the deal was with Rubens' steering wheel. These guys must do their commentary on the same feed we see on TV. They do a great job.

Maybe you need a new sport to follow?

markabilly
16th May 2010, 15:39
Are you EVER satisfied with anything? I don't think you were watching the same SPEED coverage that I was. I knew right away what the deal was with Rubens' steering wheel. These guys must do their commentary on the same feed we see on TV. They do a great job.

maybe you need to stay with your beloved IRL, more like where you belong. You seem to be very happy with the lack of quality presented by that shadow of a series of what could have been, but ain't.
You know the one where the superstar is the "sex kitten" as you call her...

The same feed shown world wide, but Speed Channel decides when and how to do their commercials and they screwed it up today. Big time

Dave B
16th May 2010, 15:51
The directing was dire all weekend on the world feed, too many incidents missed in the race, fast laps being ignored in qually, more emphasis on the trackside adverts than the cars. Thankfully it's a one off and we go back to fom in Turkey.

Easy Drifter
16th May 2010, 15:54
Thanks to our blackout of Speed I have to watch TSN with BBC commentators. No pre race show. We get side by side but there was all sorts of action going on when they went side by side and it is very hard to make out.
The BBC commentary sucks. The main commentator is a talking head blathering on and on quite often not about what is actually happening. After the Trophy presentations we had 10 minutes of commercials and the interviews were cut short to go a recorded program of talking heads.
We just got one chance to see the Alonso/TGF pass. Did hear it was under investigation by the stewards.

Tazio
16th May 2010, 15:54
Too many commercials

the first SC period starts, all you hear is there is a mac on fire.....as they immediately cut away to over FIVE MINUTES of commercials, come back and the SC has pulled in and they are racing....and who was on fire? :confused:

then there was something to do with rubens steering wheel, but what it was???well all that was interupted by commercials, so I still do not know what the big deal was about that...

end of race was mostly commercials, got a quick 3 second shot of webber with the trophy (obviously NOT live) and then a couple of repeats of MS passing FA, more commericals and then some nascar show... :mad:

but the picture quality all weekend was very very good-not the usual stuff--do not understand why....Your just pissed because snott Speed finnished out of the points.
In Christ
Taz

BTW just kidding about the christ part :uhoh:

markabilly
16th May 2010, 16:08
Your just pissed because snott Speed finnished out of the points.
In Christ
Taz

BTW just kidding about the christ part :uhoh:
scotnot speed

hope so, did not think you were into guys

Dave B
16th May 2010, 16:08
The BBC commentary sucks. The main commentator is a talking head blathering on and on quite often not about what is actually happening.
Can you get BBC Radio Five Live online? The commentary is an order of magnitude better than Legard's comatose delivery.

Tazio
16th May 2010, 16:11
scotnot speed

hope so, did not think you were into guys
No I not! Just Into kicking guys ass's for having issue with there own masculinity. Bro :p

markabilly
16th May 2010, 16:14
Thanks to our blackout of Speed I have to watch TSN with BBC commentators. No pre race show. We get side by side but there was all sorts of action going on when they went side by side and it is very hard to make out.
The BBC commentary sucks. The main commentator is a talking head blathering on and on quite often not about what is actually happening. After the Trophy presentations we had 10 minutes of commercials and the interviews were cut short to go a recorded program of talking heads.
We just got one chance to see the Alonso/TGF pass. Did hear it was under investigation by the stewards.
you got to see much more than i did....commentary on speed varies from average to excellent, mostly because of hobbes and varsha

i know webber has always been big on winning monaco......so i guess he was happy, but i was too busy watching a commercial for rent a center and "do you need a thousand dollar loan right now......." to know

Tazio
16th May 2010, 16:22
EVER satisfied They do a great job.

Oh danny boy La la la la Dont!........Stop!!!.........Don'!............Stop !
don'tstopdon'tstopdon'tstopdon'tstopdon'tstopdon't stopdon'tstopdon'tstop

What?????????????????????????????????

Rodster
16th May 2010, 16:23
The problem isn't with SC, it's the local market it's shown in and SC has no control over that, they are on the air. I've watched SC in markets were just like the OP said every 5 minutes you get 3 minutes of commercials and i've seen SPEED where you don't have many commercials.

I personally watch F1 Live on the NET so problem solved. I wish Bernie would get his head out of his ass and get Formula1.com to start broadcasting F1 races Live. I'd be willing to pay for that.

markabilly
16th May 2010, 17:31
The problem isn't with SC, it's the local market it's shown in and SC has no control over that, they are on the air. I've watched SC in markets were just like the OP said every 5 minutes you get 3 minutes of commercials and i've seen SPEED where you don't have many commercials.

I personally watch F1 Live on the NET so problem solved. I wish Bernie would get his head out of his ass and get Formula1.com to start broadcasting F1 races Live. I'd be willing to pay for that.

don't know who really did it. The first few mintues were non-stop, the SC gets deployed and suddenly they were gone with the words "a maclaren is on fire...."and I mean gone for about five minutes or so

no side by side, no nothing but stupid ads

never figured out the deal with the steering wheel until reading here--they may have shown it elswhere, but not on "my feed"
the only thing they did was two quick shots of MS making a pass on alonso...and comments about cheating, clear violation of the rules, or whatever, then showed the results with MS already moved back a spot and the points so calculated for the WDC

no webber celebration, no interviews, no nothing, but right into some show about nascar

it has not struck me as that bad until today, and today well :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tazio
16th May 2010, 17:44
If you own a computer you can enter Kos's chat. I havn't missed any action and we always have a proxy stream of HQ. But knowing what a big time consumer of lectrik shave, Old Spice, and Brylcreme that you are. You might be disapointed

beachgirl
16th May 2010, 18:11
maybe you need to stay with your beloved IRL, more like where you belong. You seem to be very happy with the lack of quality presented by that shadow of a series of what could have been, but ain't.
You know the one where the superstar is the "sex kitten" as you call her...

The same feed shown world wide, but Speed Channel decides when and how to do their commercials and they screwed it up today. Big time

Obviously you've never read any of my posts "over there" if you think I'm a fan of the "sex kitten" as YOU call her. And so, because I do post "over there", I can't post "over here"? I can't also be a fan of F1, and watch these races too? I see....

Saint Devote
16th May 2010, 18:21

How do you get it on the net?

I do agree with you regards Internet broadcasting - and it ought to be in HD.

I think the biggest single issue with Speed is that "silly little girl" Will Buxton - god is he just dreadful. After Peter Windsor who is knowledeable AND knows EVERYONE in formula 1, I think from now on I will just not watch the pre-race show at all.

Talk about stupid questions!

keysersoze
16th May 2010, 18:27
To me, every F1 race is like the Super Bowl, World Series, the Olympics and NBA Championship all rolled into one.

Broadcasting costs lots of money and if they have to pay the bills by going to commercial, so be it. I have no complaints.

Rodster
16th May 2010, 18:38
How do you get it on the net?

I do agree with you regards Internet broadcasting - and it ought to be in HD.

I think the biggest single issue with Speed is that "silly little girl" Will Buxton - god is he just dreadful. After Peter Windsor who is knowledeable AND knows EVERYONE in formula 1, I think from now on I will just not watch the pre-race show at all.

Talk about stupid questions!

No comment :D

Tazio
16th May 2010, 19:37
How do you get it on the net?I'd tell you but the Anglo/mafia is not invited!

slorydn1
17th May 2010, 01:15
Too many commercials

but the picture quality all weekend was very very good-not the usual stuff--do not understand why....

I agree with everything u said....the coverage was pathetic on speed this week, and to cutaway from the podium and post race press conference so as to not be late for the 2 hour pre-prerace show for the Dover Nascar race (Fox had a 1 hr prerace show AFTER Nascar Raceday) was absolutely inexcusable (and this is coming from the biggest Nascar fan posting in the F1 forum)......

The reason for the better picture quality is because the world feed came from a real TV station in France and wasnt the crap that FOM feeds us every week but Monaco and Japan.

truefan72
17th May 2010, 01:32
I agree with Markabilly,

today was probably the worst possible coverage of F1 I have ever seen. Nothing to do with the commentators who are usually good. but the commercial breaks were insane and just too long and too many. It was really frustrating too watch.The funny thing is that most f1 fans who get up to watch the race at 7:30 am have no interest whatsoever in NASCAR and the pointless promos are just that.

Easy Drifter
17th May 2010, 01:50
My problems with using the computer is I am on dial up so it is too slow for any streaming and it is also at the opposite end of my house from my TV.
We really get short changed with TSN. No Pre race and shortened post race compared to what Speed usually has. I often watch the Speed rebroadcast.
With respect to the taxi cabs Speed has so much coverage and promos it has actually turned me off the tin roofs and I started following them in 1952!

Remember real race cars do not have fenders. :D :D :D

slorydn1
17th May 2010, 02:13
I agree with Markabilly,

today was probably the worst possible coverage of F1 I have ever seen. Nothing to do with the commentators who are usually good. but the commercial breaks were insane and just too long and too many. It was really frustrating too watch.The funny thing is that most f1 fans who get up to watch the race at 7:30 am have no interest whatsoever in NASCAR and the pointless promos are just that.

I agree there too....the commentary was top notch as usual, there just were a ton more commercials than usual and what happened at the end was inexcusable.

Loook, I love nascar. My driver happens to be the championship leader right now. I could have understood them cutting away if it were the race broadcast that they needed to keep from being late for....but the 2 hour long pre-prerace show??? That was a little over the top.

Well I agree with almost everything....the abolute worst f1 coverage we ever had was in the 80's and early 90's when all you got was a truncated-tape delayed race on espn more than a week after the race was actually held

Roamy
17th May 2010, 02:25
what do you expect Hobbs has built a condo up shumachers ass and can only see one thing. Nothing is new here i am just glad we get to see SOME of the race.

slorydn1
17th May 2010, 02:36
what do you expect Hobbs has built a condo up shumachers ass and can only see one thing. Nothing is new here i am just glad we get to see SOME of the race.

I fail to see the connection between what Schumacher's proctologist has to clean out and the extra commercials/cutting away to Nascar Raceday, but okay :rolleyes: :p : :beer:

CNR
17th May 2010, 03:38

use http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795059&posted=1#post795059 to compare images for image quality

e2mtt
17th May 2010, 04:24
I couldn't agree more. Speed's coverage is miserable. I have a source for video of the BBC feed (no commercials, passionate & informed commentators) so I don't even bother to get up & watch the Speed live show. I just watch the BBC video in the afternoon, with my iphone giving me syncronized "live" timing.

maximilian
17th May 2010, 12:53
Yeah, they had some bad timing going with commercials... you would think that who ever sits at that switch directing (and that's pretty much the ONLY thing they have to do, decide when to go to commercials!) would think quick enough to stay ON when you see a smoking McLaren come to a stop.

One thing I thought interesting was when Bob Varsha mentioned "internet messaging boards" during the broadcast, which suggests that he lurks around here (since this is probably one of the best F1 boards out there?) and reads comments about the broadcast (out yourself, Bob! :D ) - so constructive feedback may well be heard and considered in the broadcasts.

As for me, I am happy with the commentating team, they do have a good synergy (the on-track reporting has improved tremendously, too), and the directing is obviously not their fault - the only thing I can't stand is when everybody starts shouting "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA" if a car gets just a little sideways! :p :

ykiki
17th May 2010, 22:45
I also must agree with many others here - the commentary was fine as usual, but the timing of commercials stunk - especially with regard to the smoking McLaren - and missing out on the post race festivities (national anthems, award ceremony, interviews) was especially disappointing.

race_director
17th May 2010, 23:24
well in that case. Star sports the holder for license in asia is very responsible. They have commercial breaks every 20 mins. that also 2 mins max. they stop the commercial break if they sense something important is happening on track. and the best part is. they have a strict policy of no commercial breaks during last 15 laps of the race.

apart from the constant praising abt Mclaren ( since vodafone and mobile 1 has been the sponser of the show) and losers like alex young, Kartikeyan. commentary , every other thing is perfect.

forgot to mention steve slater, chris goodwin ( thankfully not heard chris and his MCL fantasy this year so far) some girl called Paula hosting in studio and a weird guy called sanjeev going arnd the track . apart from these every thing is perfect

The last time i remember a delayed telecast has been in 1997. F1 is shifted to there sister network ESPN very rarely. but it is always shown live. and they charge around 1 $ for 3 channels

I have been praying for starsports to change its commentary team for 5-6 yrs now . the pre race show last for around 45 mins and the post race show last for arnd 1 hr . which is not watched by aleast the people who i know. The pre race show has a fixed schedule. a tour of MCL factory, alex and steve talking crap for 30 mins and trying to score on the girl :) . These guys are so pathetic , even viewers watching on tv can understand what is happening on track. while these guys are engrossed in there some nonsense talk.

There was a brilliant guy called john dykes, who use to host the pre race show some time back. if he is brought back, instead of these bunch of losers. the broadcast would be perfect.

anyway always wonder, whats the use of expert commentry of alex young in between the race . when he is sitting in the studio in HK.

hope this post watched by these guys

Easy Drifter
18th May 2010, 00:34
Quite often the problem is the Director. He picks the shots and the commercial breaks.
I have heard the Speed guys (when I could get it) say that the pit stops are due as a hint to the Director not to go to a break. Or comment a dice is getting interesting and it looks like a pass is coming up. Some Directors take the hint. Some do not.
As we get the BBC broadcast the Cdn. Director is not getting actual hints although the commentators, usually Brundle, may say it is time for the pit stops. That seems to be the word here for a commercial break on TSN! It is side by side but I really can't make out any details on my 32 inch screen.

maximilian
18th May 2010, 01:28
One other thing I'd like to add to the things that piss me off about SPEED's coverage is, the endless repetition of self-interest advertisements. Is it really necessary to promote your other shows in each and every commercial break? It's fine if you have paying advertisers who are after all your bread and butter, but keep throwing the same self-promoting crap at us 25 times, considerably adding to the commercial time and taking away from race time, that's just poor form, and will do NOTHING to promote your other shows in the long run.

SGWilko
18th May 2010, 09:09
smoking McLaren

Hmmmm. Smoke or steam? I can't decide. ;)

Sounds like Speed have taken a leaf out of ITV's book.......

edv
18th May 2010, 15:59
I seem to recall SPEEDTV doing a lot of commercials during their broadcasts, but they would sometimes time-shift the feed so that we would not miss much.
Do they still do that?
Back when I played F1.com's Live Timing along with SPEED's coverage of qualifying, I found that they started to fall out of sync after the first break, and qualifying would occupy 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes.

markabilly
18th May 2010, 16:02
One other thing I'd like to add to the things that piss me off about SPEED's coverage is, the endless repetition of self-interest advertisements. Is it really necessary to promote your other shows in each and every commercial break? It's fine if you have paying advertisers who are after all your bread and butter, but keep throwing the same self-promoting crap at us 25 times, considerably adding to the commercial time and taking away from race time, that's just poor form, and will do NOTHING to promote your other shows in the long run.
well they have yet to stoop as low as some stations with those big pop ups in the middle of a scene, doing an ad, wheile you are trying to watch the show....nothing like having a ad for pink slips taking 30% of the screen ,with all the little figures dancing around while trying to watch a pit stop....

truefan72
30th May 2010, 23:38
speed tv coverage today hit an all time low. they went to commercials during the hamilton vettel pass attempt. were on commercial as alonso and petrov where duking it out and all in all, once again spent far too much time on useless nascar promos and commercials. something needs to change.

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2010, 00:39
I remember what ESPN was like years ago. So I'm not complaining. With all of the extra F1 programming that SpeedTV provides, I'm VERY pleased with the overall job that they do.

Considering that F1's U.S. ratings are about as pathetic as those of the IRL, I'm under no illusion that there'll be a bidding war for the TV rights anytime soon. And the SpeedTV announce team is the best I've ever seen. Could there be improvements? Sure! But I usually DVR the races and watch them later in the day. So I often zip through the commercials. Maybe the breaks would bother me more if I still watched the races live. But under no circumstances would I want to see F1 leave Speed and wind up at a place like ESPN or Versus. If I had to watch a former "F1 great", like Eddie Cheever, do races with Jack A-root and the pit-twit, Jamie Little, I'd have to find a way to watch the races on the internet.

markabilly
31st May 2010, 01:25
speed tv coverage today hit an all time low. they went to commercials during the hamilton vettel pass attempt. were on commercial as alonso and petrov where duking it out and all in all, once again spent far too much time on useless nascar promos and commercials. something needs to change.
the first break was as Button started to make his pass on MS, then the hamilton Vettel stuff....but they did show replays of the former.....once :vader:

truefan72
31st May 2010, 10:03
I remember what ESPN was like years ago. So I'm not complaining. With all of the extra F1 programming that SpeedTV provides, I'm VERY pleased with the overall job that they do.

Considering that F1's U.S. ratings are about as pathetic as those of the IRL, I'm under no illusion that there'll be a bidding war for the TV rights anytime soon. And the SpeedTV announce team is the best I've ever seen. Could there be improvements? Sure! But I usually DVR the races and watch them later in the day. So I often zip through the commercials. Maybe the breaks would bother me more if I still watched the races live. But under no circumstances would I want to see F1 leave Speed and wind up at a place like ESPN or Versus. If I had to watch a former "F1 great", like Eddie Cheever, do races with Jack A-root and the pit-twit, Jamie Little, I'd have to find a way to watch the races on the internet.

don't get me wrong. I love the announcers they are top notch imo. The uselessness comes from whoever is directing the broadcast and has no sense as to when to hold the scheduled commercial break because something is about to happen, or something is ACTUALLY HAPPENING like a pass for a podium position. Hang on for another minute then go to a commercial, or better yet do the bloody side-by-side that ABC does.

Anyway, its going to get worse when Fox does its usual 3 race butchering time delayed job.

markabilly
6th June 2010, 23:46
Motogp from Italy is on Speed HD
:up:
picture quality dramactically better

Far better than the f1 events.....wow finally :eek:

Of course stupid speed has got their stupid distracting orange red logo almost in the middle of the screen when seen in HD :down:

great race

truefan72
7th June 2010, 03:17
Motogp from Italy is on Speed HD
:up:
picture quality dramactically better

Far better than the f1 events.....wow finally :eek:

Of course stupid speed has got their stupid distracting orange red logo almost in the middle of the screen when seen in HD :down:

great race

and unbelievably they went to commercial with 5 laps to go assuring that we missed stoner overtake both melandri and depunier in the closing laps. I am happy I can once agian watch motogp on cable live but that race director at speed needs to find another job.