PDA

View Full Version : Official: Prodrive's Mini WRCar in 2011 WRC

alleskids
16th May 2010, 10:48
During the 24 hours of the Nurburgring, David Richard of Prodrive confirmed that the Mini WRCar will make an appearence in the 2011 WRC. Probarly not for the entire season, but a selected number of rallies.

http://autosport.aeiou.pt/gen.pl?p=stories&op=view&fokey=as.stories/84997
"We have been strengthening our work in the MINI and will be present in the WRC next year. We do not know, however, is immediately the whole season or only in selected events, but everything points to us to enter into competition in the first rounds of the calendar, "said David Richards.

At the same time, it was found that BMW - which owns the MINI - is working to ensure a budget consistent with a bet of this nature, because in addition to the requirement of sponsorship this project aims to involve the MINI dealers to secure part of funds required.

J.Lindstroem
16th May 2010, 11:27
Good news that it is official. I look forward to see it!

alleskids
16th May 2010, 11:56
The Prodrive Mini WRCar will have the same BMW 1.6T engine that will be used in the WTCC?

MJW
16th May 2010, 12:08
I guess the 2011 season will be a bit of a transition year. Citroen will (as always) have their new car thoroughly tested and will be the benchmark, Ford will be a brave second, only picking up crumbs from the Citroen table, Prodrive BMW will have a toe in the water first year, and maybe Skoda too. Then in 2012 we hopefully get a competitive year with 4 manufacturers in with a shot.

16th May 2010, 12:43
I guess the 2011 season will be a bit of a transition year. Citroen will (as always) have their new car thoroughly tested and will be the benchmark, Ford will be a brave second, only picking up crumbs from the Citroen table, Prodrive BMW will have a toe in the water first year, and maybe Skoda too. Then in 2012 we hopefully get a competitive year with 4 manufacturers in with a shot.
Toyota in 2012 hopefully, then they can show Citroen how its done!!1

AndyRAC
16th May 2010, 12:48
The Prodrive Mini WRCar will have the same BMW 1.6T engine that will be used in the WTCC?

I doubt BMW will still be in the WTCC.....they're going into the DTM, and have ALMS/LMS programs.

koko0703
16th May 2010, 12:50
You can't have too big of the expectation from Prodrive Mini but hopefully they will stay for a while. I think it is totally reasonable to run a partial program next year to prepare for 2012.

FAlonso
16th May 2010, 15:15
Why was this topic openned may I ask? What was wrong with the one I openned yesterday stating the exact same news from the exact same source?

Langdale Forest
16th May 2010, 15:27
Why was this topic openned may I ask? What was wrong with the one I openned yesterday stating the exact same news from the exact same source?

There is also a 3 page thread about mini WRC 2011.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138123

FAlonso
16th May 2010, 15:35
There is also a 3 page thread about mini WRC 2011.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138123

As I said on my topic, I apologized if there was already a thread on this subject. The one you state should be the one to use then.

Langdale Forest
16th May 2010, 15:38
Prehaps a moderator can merge them together. :)

Josti
16th May 2010, 16:16
The best thing would be that they do selected rounds in 2011, and a full assault in 2012. At least it seems semi-confirmed now, that's a good thing.

There are also some recent reports (again) that according to Kris Nissen, VW still holds the possibility of entering WRC in 2012. I personally think this is the way to go for VW after Dakar, their efforts with Seat and Skoda obviously didn't work out. Skoda is doing well in IRC of course, but that's no garantue for similar success in WRC. I do wonder if VW really wants to clinch with Skoda's recent progress.

Well, here's the Kris Nissen interview from a few weeks ago, it's on German motorsport aktuell. Decisions will be made after Dakar 2011 the least.

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/automobil/rallye-interview-kris-nissen-ueber-vws-neue-plaene-1847721.html

N.O.T
16th May 2010, 17:05
the fail begins.....

alleskids
16th May 2010, 17:09
VW needs 18 months to devellop a new WRCar. So if after Dakar 2011 the lights are green, the car wil not be in competition before WRC 2013. It could be a good thing to see how the competions is developping.
VW only will do WRC if the tv/media coverage is good enough

Langdale Forest
16th May 2010, 17:10
the fail begins.....

Totally agree...

amilk
16th May 2010, 21:09
Totally agree...

beside:
+ Prodrive experience
+ Prodrive has no more chance to fail after strugling with last Subaru developments - so they give in everything for sure in the project
+?

against:
- the Mini itself - at first look for an amateure like me not a winning base model
- in the last 7-8 years only Citroen and Ford was able to develope winnig car and their advantage is vital
- ?

J.Lindstroem
17th May 2010, 03:34
the fail begins.....

Yeah Not. FIA should take the whole Wrc thing down.

gloomyDAY
17th May 2010, 06:39
the fail begins.....HA! I'm with you. Ever since Prodrive failed to do anything with Subaru I've really had my doubts. I hope we're proven wrong.

Maui J.
17th May 2010, 08:03
the fail begins.....
Pessimist

Totally agree...
...and another.

Can't you find some positive from new manufacturers, more drivers in WRC cars & more variety than the usual suspects. All new entrants will be
underdogs, but you can't succeed without trying.
How can you be so sure they will fail?

Could please tell us what kind of WRC would make you happy. I'm sure many of us would love to know.

IMO, bring on the Mini, the VW and many more new manufacturers.

mm1
17th May 2010, 09:08
+1

Langdale Forest
17th May 2010, 09:53
...and another.

I am not a pessimist, I just agree with N.O.T's post, because new teams normally struggle for 1 -2 years then they walk away.

Woodeye
17th May 2010, 13:09
What a place this is...

People have been crying to get more manu's into series for years. Now that one might be coming, what is the reaction? "They will fail, not going to happen, it'll take 1-2 years for them etc..."

If you have nothing to say, then shut up?

Welcome to WRC Mini and Prodrive. :up:

Mitch555
17th May 2010, 13:35
What a place this is...

People have been crying to get more manu's into series for years. Now that one might be coming, what is the reaction? "They will fail, not going to happen, it'll take 1-2 years for them etc..."

Hurrah for common sense!

Totally agree with everyone apart from the few pessimists on this forum. Nothing wrong with a manufacturer entering. Mini will be a great marketing tool for the WRC. Those who think it will fail, have you noticed the state the WRC is in. Its not like the cream of the crop are driving is it? Its those who can pay. Hopefully we can see a return to skillful drivers.

For those who don't believe a new team cannot be competitive and will just fail.

Citroen in 2002, plagued by issues in their first real season whether it be management or the car. 2003 they had a really competitive package.
2004 Mitsubishi returned to the WRC and had a horrid year. Who can forget Gilles Panizzi in 2005 standing on the Monte podium, and Galli fighting with Loeb in Turkey, then privateer Mitsubishis of Carlsson and Galli fighting for podium.
Suzuki. Did one year, but we started to see real potential in that car in Japan.
Toyota. Their Celica and Corolla programs had differing amounts of success in the early days, but look what they became.
Ford in 1999, talk about a woeful year with a new car, but they grew on that over time and are now one of the last remaining power houses.
My favourite is a German manufacturer called Audi. Everyone wrote them off saying the car was too heavy due to the 4WD system. As they say the rest is history.

Hopefully this announcement from another heavyweight (Richards) will entice others to come back or join up.

mjh
17th May 2010, 13:46
I am not a pessimist, I just agree with N.O.T's post, because new teams normally struggle for 1 -2 years then they walk away.

Usually?
Which manufacturers were you thinking of that struggled for 1-2 years then walked away? I can think of just one in recent times.

Subaru / Prodrive however entered the WRC in 1990 and went on to win three manufacturer titles and three drivers titles before bowing out in 2008.
Personally, I think if anyone can make a sucess of the Mini WRC, Prodrive can. And I am really pleased another manufacturer is entering the WRC.

gloomyDAY
17th May 2010, 17:09
What a place this is...

Welcome to WRC Mini and Prodrive. :up: Mouth shut. :(

Langdale Forest
17th May 2010, 17:14
Usually?
Which manufacturers were you thinking of that struggled for 1-2 years then walked away? I can think of just one in recent times.

Suzuki of course...

What a place this is...

Of course, it is always a good thing to have a new manufacture in the sport, but remember; "a pessamist is never dissapointed".

There is nothing wrong with being a pessamist. And BTW, I am not a pessamist. :)

mdesign
18th May 2010, 17:41
There is some hope with mini. They have all prodrive experience behind them (skoda, seat, suzuki, and others that failed, didn't had such experience). The new rules for sure will make things easier for mini.

(hope I'm not burned for giving this example)
Last year, on a sport called F1, a new team - Brawn - based on a previous, slow team - honda - was able to dominate the events against the big name of McLaren and Ferrari. Why is that? Because meanwhile the other team were competing the 2008 championship, brawn done his homework and got ready for the new rules introduced on 2009.

m.lowe
20th May 2010, 10:44
There is some hope with mini. They have all prodrive experience behind them (skoda, seat, suzuki, and others that failed, didn't had such experience). The new rules for sure will make things easier for mini.

If Colin had been alive today and Skoda had stuck with WRC then I'm sure that car would of been a winner as he proved by driving that car made others sit up and take notice

Good luck to Prodrive and the Mini
Despite what it looks like a lot of road cars look horrible but the rally versions are different

Karukera
21st May 2010, 16:40
Glad they join the series but Marketing wise, what for ?

I'm no expert but the drivers of Mini in my area are exclusively Brunette and Blonde "drivettes" on high heel shoes.

Kinda hot crowd generally hanging around the Monaco F1 Grand Prix a few Kms away.

They might be horrified to see their toys being covered with snow, dust and mud... except if BMW's decision to jump in the WRC is to correct this tendancy and target male drivers... :s tare:

Macd
21st May 2010, 18:09

Peugeot, Citroen, anyone?

pino
21st May 2010, 18:52
What a place this is...

Totally agree with you :up:

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2010, 03:19
Suzuki of course...

Wow! The list goes on!