PDA

View Full Version : Monaco 2010 Practice - Top 6 GP2 runners faster than the 2 Dallara HRT F1s!!

Giuseppe F1
13th May 2010, 21:43
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22269.html

goodf1fun
13th May 2010, 22:13
so what? :p is different category...

JasonD
13th May 2010, 22:14
so what? :p is different category...

Ummm, thats the point, isnt it?

RJL25
14th May 2010, 10:21
Qualifying tomorrow is going to be a disaster... At least Lotus are moving forwards and looking at least slightly competitive, buy Virgin and worse HRT are moving disasters

race_director
14th May 2010, 16:31
i remember a incident abt 10 yrs back. where DC in MCL qualified last in monaco due to some problem . i think he was stuck behind dead last behind some driver ( dont remember the driver name.) for some 20-25 laps till 1st pit stop.

there were reports of even RON going and threatening the driver after the race.

cannot wait for the qulifying . gonna be hell of 1st 20 mins

Thank Max for this :)

ioan
14th May 2010, 16:37
i remember a incident abt 10 yrs back. where DC in MCL qualified last in monaco due to some problem . i think he was stuck behind dead last behind some driver ( dont remember the driver name.) for some 20-25 laps till 1st pit stop.

there were reports of even RON going and threatening the driver after the race.

cannot wait for the qulifying . gonna be hell of 1st 20 mins

Thank Max for this :)

DC was stuck behind Bernoldi but not dead last.

race_director
14th May 2010, 16:40

yup ur right. i think 17th ????

UltimateDanGTR
14th May 2010, 17:57
so, dallaras own GP2 car is faster than their F1 car.

now, that isn't right. whether the drivers and team are getting the most out of it i dont know but, If F1 cars had bigger engines, this problem likely wouldnt exist.

V12
14th May 2010, 18:31
so, dallaras own GP2 car is faster than their F1 car.

now, that isn't right. whether the drivers and team are getting the most out of it i dont know but, If F1 cars had bigger engines, this problem likely wouldnt exist.

I must admit I've always found it strange that F1 cars have 2.4 litre engines while GP2s have 4 litres. Now I know that the GP2 engine is probably a lot more detuned (if that's the correct word) than an F1 engine, and the F1 engines will all be more powerful (although with stupid rev limits and engine freezes the F1 motors aren't exactly pushing the envelope anymore :( )

There was a point made in the other thread that probably comes closest to explaining it. The GP2 car, because everyone runs it, will likely be a highly-sorted machine, with setups optimised over the past 2 or 3 years by the top teams, while the Hispania F1 Dallaras have only run at race weekends, and most of the focus will have being on making them stable and reliable rather than ekeing out speed, whereas the GP2s are pretty much bullet-proof.

steveaki13
15th May 2010, 00:39

Just to confirm. In the early stages Bernoldi and DC ran ahead of Marques (Minardi) & Burti (Prost).

I know its sad that I know that but I just thought I'd add it.

Nikki Katz
15th May 2010, 01:36
On Autosport Bernie's quoted as saying that he's working to try to secure the future for HRT - for the rest of the season. So, if they really are slower than the GP2 cars here then this might be their last appearance.

I remember the race that Couthard got stuck behind Bernoldi - I remember Ron Dennis and even Murray Walker yelling saying Bernoldi should move over. But it's a flippin' race and he had track position! That sort of stuff always annoys me. Actually, the only time I can remember being annoyed more is when Schumacher mentioned once after a race that maybe the Arrows in 6th place should have let him past as he was in a championship battle and could do with the points - it was pretty much Arrows' only points of the season!

jens
15th May 2010, 21:24
I think the comparison between Dallara's GP2 and F1 car most of all shows, how restrictive current F1 rules are compared to mere feeder spec-series.

call_me_andrew
16th May 2010, 07:14
I must admit I've always found it strange that F1 cars have 2.4 litre engines while GP2s have 4 litres. Now I know that the GP2 engine is probably a lot more detuned (if that's the correct word) than an F1 engine, and the F1 engines will all be more powerful (although with stupid rev limits and engine freezes the F1 motors aren't exactly pushing the envelope anymore :( )

There are a lot of variables that go into engine building: maximum revs, cylinder heat flow rate, valve diameter, valve lift, valve timing, camshaft weight, camshaft driver weight, crankshaft weight, connecting rod weight, piston weight, combustion chamber shape, compression ratio, exhaust manifold shape, intake manifold shape, fuel injector flow rate, fuel pump pressure, oil pump pressure, throttle body diameter, collant jacket location, ignition timing, and fuel quality just to name a few.

Valve Bounce
16th May 2010, 07:18

Damir Dokic claimed that he could drive faster than Bernoldi.

race_director
16th May 2010, 10:36
Damir Dokic claimed that he could drive faster than Bernoldi.

BUT tht race behind bernoldi, DC was at his best . he tried every corner , very lap to pass. couldnt do anything but watch the and admire bernoldi's bck. Benoldi would have noticed each and every wrinkle, dark spots, pimples on DC face. by watching him closely in the mirror. :)